Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marine le Pen might be 26% behind in the polls but she’s attra

123457»

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954
    edited May 2017
    When are they going to send Jezza out with a giant headstone, adorned with pledges like the ten commandments being handed down to Moses, to be plonked in the Downing St garden in the unlikely event that Jez wins? :D
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    I think that's poor reporting. I don't think R&T are extrapolating that, I think it's the Times.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,135
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The difference is because the €100bn is gross and €60bn net as I read. Some of the figue is liability for loans, to Ireland for example, that are going to be repaid, at which point we get our money back.

Not that it is politically possible to agree anything like that.

It is probably now sinking in with the Remoanariat that compared with these figures £350m a week looks like a sober, cautious, conservative, prudent and responsible estimate. Embarrassing for them, since the only "lie" they can now rely on is that Leave said that negotiations were on foot for Turkey to join the EU - a shocking travesty of the true situation, which is that negotiations were on foot for Turkey to join the EU.
    The 'lie' was the impression given it was imminent, which it very much is not since they've been talking about it over 30 years and seem to be moving further away from joining, no matter any talk of fast tracking at times (seemingly as just nice talk, rather than any true indication the joining was moving significantly closer). As a leaver, I'll give the remoaners that one.
    And yet, one week after the Brexit vote:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36672242
    "The EU has opened a new chapter in Turkey's EU membership talks..."
    You think they're still 'close' to joining though? Under Erdogan?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Something tells me I'm going to get dumped during this general election campaign.

That's a bit harsh, calling your girlfriend "something"...!
    I can see why she might not like that tbh.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    RobD said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Something tells me I'm going to get dumped during this general election campaign.

Mike finally going to bring someone in that knows what they're doing? :D
    I meant by my girlfriend.

Though I suspect Mike may dump me after tomorrow's morning thread.
    Has she been put off by the relentless AV discussions? :p
    Darling, would you excuse me for a few minutes whilst I tweet, post to a blog, and bet is starting to annoy her I fear.
    Have you mentioned it is a blog read by Prime Ministers? :D:p
    I showed her the pics of me meeting Dave and George in Number 10.

She reminded me was a Corbynite.

She said I might has well have shown her a picture of me kicking a dog.
  • Options
    nunu said:

That's a bit harsh, calling your girlfriend "something"...!
    I can see why she might not like that tbh.
    Tho it might be his safer safe word
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,097

Sandpit said:

Well Sporting Index, Spreadex and Betfair all reckon they'll pick up 70 or 75!
    Given how bad Ralling and Thrasher's predictions have been during the last two years, we should be getting ready for a Tory majority of 250 on June 8th
    Trying to extrapolate general election results from the locals is a mug's game, was too many variables.

Unfortunately I never did get myself organised the other week to jump on the spreads, and think buying at 409 now has an awful lot of potential downside. 378 was a bargain though.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Another analysis of the local results by Baxter (scroll down a little):

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The difference is because the €100bn is gross and €60bn net as I read. Some of the figue is liability for loans, to Ireland for example, that are going to be repaid, at which point we get our money back.

It is probably now sinking in with the Remoanariat that compared with these figures £350m a week looks like a sober, cautious, conservative, prudent and responsible estimate. Embarrassing for them, since the only "lie" they can now rely on is that Leave said that negotiations were on foot for Turkey to join the EU - a shocking travesty of the true situation, which is that negotiations were on foot for Turkey to join the EU.
    The 'lie' was the impression given it was imminent, which it very much is not since they've been talking about it over 30 years and seem to be moving further away from joining, no matter any talk of fast tracking at times (seemingly as just nice talk, rather than any true indication the joining was moving significantly closer). As a leaver, I'll give the remoaners that one.

No, that misses the point entirely. The question is how things appeared in June 2016, without benefit of hindsight.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Given how bad Ralling and Thrasher's predictions have been during the last two years, we should be getting ready for a Tory majority of 250 on June 8th
    Trying to extrapolate general election results from the locals is a mug's game, was too many variables.

Unfortunately I never did get myself organised the other week to jump on the spreads, and think buying at 409 now has an awful lot of potential downside. 378 was a bargain though.
    It was, my buy at 378 looks good, only the CPS can derail it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

No, not at all. The problem was the Remain campaign talking as if Turkey were never going to join, when there was a meeting scheduled *for the following week* to progress Turkey's membership of the EU.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Darling, would you excuse me for a few minutes whilst I tweet, post to a blog, and bet is starting to annoy her I fear.

You should buy her a 'never kissed a Tory' teeshirt. :smiley:
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

nunu said:

Everyone has to vote. Even if you don't vote Tory just vote, we have to get that share below 30% so he goes.
    Tell everyone you know, register to vote before 22nd May. #signuptovote
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NVbJ0QMWKdk
    If we were registered for E.U ref then we should already be registered for 8th June right? Unless we moved or something. because I haven't recieved my polling card yet.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Puts the SNP on 45 seats. Seems a little optimistic, I'd like a new Scotland poll to encourage me - where's the Klaxon?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

No, that misses the point entirely. The question is how things appeared in June 2016, without benefit of hindsight.
    I remember it well - it didn't look close then either. I recall several leavers besides me criticising the spin put on it. Reasonable people will differ on that of course, but I do feel that one was played further than was fair by VoteLeave.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yeah, sadly I needed to get a two grand deposit (for £10 a seat) from a UK bank account along will all the usual KYC bollocks, as the price was creeping up. Hopefully it will come back down at some point in the next couple of weeks and I can take advantage
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Tell her it's racist to break up with you because you're a minority. Then she will feel bad for you and give you pity sex.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Puts the SNP on 45 seats. Seems a little optimistic, I'd like a new Scotland poll to encourage me - where's the Klaxon?
    I think that's predicted +10 for the Tories, and +1 for the LDs (Dunbartonshire E)

Based on this prediction (link) using the numbers in that post, and the average Scotland numbers from his Scotland page
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yeah, sadly I needed to get a two grand deposit (for £10 a seat) from a UK bank account along will all the usual KYC bollocks, as the price was creeping up. Hopefully it will come back down at some point in the next couple of weeks and I can take advantage
    In that case, hope for a dozen CPS charges this week.

The price will crash, then return to equilibrium within a fortnight.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954
    Are we ever going to get a correct scores on the doors for YouGov?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    This will help with the Corbyn is soft on defence meme

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/860975059086737408
  • Options
    Ha, I'd love to know the reasoning for 80k not 74k (it may well be reasonable) but it looks funny.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,131
    Did anyone post this earlier

https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/860951471222923266

It ties with what I think I noticed in a few Labour seats yesterday. Votes down 20% from 2013 simply due to people not voting..
  • Options
    nunu said:

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

Everyone has to vote. Even if you don't vote Tory just vote, we have to get that share below 30% so he goes.
    Tell everyone you know, register to vote before 22nd May. #signuptovote
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NVbJ0QMWKdk
    If we were registered for E.U ref then we should already be registered for 8th June right? Unless we moved or something. because I haven't recieved my polling card yet.
    You can check if you're on the 'open' version of the register, and register again if you're not sure, on the gov website
    https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    nunu said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Tell her it's racist to break up with you because you're a minority. Then she will feel bad for you and give you pity sex.
    No wonder that women call us men "devious". :smile:
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

Well that does make some sense, if we don't have any drones he'll never need to answer "can we use a drone to kill the IS leader?"
  • Options
    eek said:

hts://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/860951471222923266

It ties with what I think I noticed in a few Labour seats yesterday. Votes down 20% from 2013 simply due to people not voting..

I'm still stunned there are people, however much a minority, who really do seem to prioritise the demands of the membership over everything else, from people who may not even be members but just former supporters.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

In that case, hope for a dozen CPS charges this week.

The price will crash, then return to equilibrium within a fortnight.
    That was my line of thought too. Everyone will over-react for one day, then it's sub judice and will be chip wrapper the following morning.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    GIN1138 said:

Drop Diane a quick tweet and she'll clear it all up
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I've cleared it up
  • Options
    walterwwalterw Posts: 71
    foxinsoxuk

'The difference is because the €100bn is gross and €60bn net as I read. Some of the figue is liability for loans, to Ireland for example, that are going to be repaid, at which point we get our money back.

Not that it is politically possible to agree anything like that.'

The only way this will get resolved is to refer it to an arbitration court in a neutral country.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,596
    And where is the 51%?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I've cleared it up
    Lib Dems 1.4%? :p
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017
    From VoteUK forum:

Lanark & Hamilton East, local election votes:

Lab 11,793 (32.1%)
    SNP 11,462 (31.2%)
    Con 10,297 (28.0%)
    LD 1,138 (3.1%)
    Ind 986 (2.7%)
    Grn 872 (2.4%)
    Sdt 90 (0.2%)
    UKIP 80 (0.2%)

Con 16/1, Betfair Sportsbook.

https://www.betfair.com/sport/politics
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited May 2017

(snip)

I just think that UKIP will field a much reduced slate of candidates, so their vote share will be down on national polling (even allowing for them standing in their better prospects).

That's an extremely good point. I keep forgetting that Ukip vote share isn't just down to how much they are squeezed, its also a matter of how many seats they abandon.

Now, the available polling evidence (as well as a common sense interpretation of what has happened in the local elections) suggests that the migration of voters from Ukip to Con is 4, 5, maybe more than 5 times greater than that from Ukip to Lab - so this could have big implications in nearly all of the Lab/Con marginals outside of London. If Ukip don't field candidates at all in any given seat, then will the fraction of their support that hasn't yet defected stay at home, or split in similar proportions to those who have already abandoned the party? Could possibly be enough to tip a couple of dozen more seats into the Tory column - as well as potentially raising the Con vote share further into the upper 40s.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    kle4 said:

So, LDs and Labour are both now committed to keeping the Triple Lock? Both are really trying to dig into the elderly vote, and presumably thinking the Tories will not commit to keeping it, which I hope is the case but seeing how TMay panicked over the budget I doubt will be the case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39831522

Poor. I called for intergenerational fairness to be addressed in the LD manifesto.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,209

viewcode said:

DINKYs = Double Income, No Kids Yet.

I think I'm the only one who remembers BCBG - bon chic, bon genre - but it never really caught on in England

h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByWQz7vusP8

[picks jaw off floor]

Kill it. Kill it with fire.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 712
    edited May 2017
    For anyone following German politics as well as French (presumably not TSE's other half!) we also have this tomorrow:

http://www.dw.com/en/schleswig-holstein-casting-ballots-between-the-north-sea-and-the-baltic/a-38737260

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleswig-Holstein_state_election,_2017

Apparently the SSW Danish minority party is funded by the Danish government!

Think polls close 5pm UK time, so a curtain-raiser ahead of the French results.

Next Sun is the Nordrhein-Westfalen state election (Germany's biggest state) and definitely agree with Alastair Meeks that Merkel looks great value on Betfair at 1.67 for next Chancellor and think CDU/CSU pretty good for most seats at 1.46.

Next Tuesday is the South Korea presidential election, which will be a bit more important than usual:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korean_presidential_election,_2017

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,689
    eek said:

The Corbynite is obviously a cretin, but sorry, so is this woman's dad. There's nothing to be proud of in 50 years of voting for a dog turd as long as it's wearing a red rosette. Glad he's finally engaged some sort of thought process albeit late in life.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    IanB2 said:

And where is the 51%?

Nothing has been reported from the ST article. We may be obliged to wait until YouGov release the tables.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

eek said:

The Corbynite is obviously a cretin, but sorry, so is this woman's dad. There's nothing to be proud of in 50 years of voting for a dog turd as long as it's wearing a red rosette. Glad he's finally engaged some sort of thought process albeit late in life.
    I see that there is no longer a need for elections as we have the clear will of the Labour membership ...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

And where is the 51%?

Nothing has been reported from the ST article. We may be obliged to wait until YouGov release the tables.
    The Sunday Times publish their articles shortly after midnight.
  • Options

eek said:

Maybe he thought about every candidate in those 50 years and liked them all, we don't know.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

So, LDs and Labour are both now committed to keeping the Triple Lock? Both are really trying to dig into the elderly vote, and presumably thinking the Tories will not commit to keeping it, which I hope is the case but seeing how TMay panicked over the budget I doubt will be the case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39831522

Poor. I called for intergenerational fairness to be addressed in the LD manifesto.
    Certainly aren't going to get my vote for being chickens.
  • Options

eek said:

Tell him that. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902

That's amazing. One of my favourite twitter threads.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

RobD said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

When did you meet them?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294
    walterw said:

foxinsoxuk

'The difference is because the €100bn is gross and €60bn net as I read. Some of the figue is liability for loans, to Ireland for example, that are going to be repaid, at which point we get our money back.

Not that it is politically possible to agree anything like that.'

The only way this will get resolved is to refer it to an arbitration court in a neutral country.

OK.

The EU claims we owe:

1. Spending that the UK has approved that it will no longer pay for. (As in, we signed off on a five year budget, and if we leave after year two, we approved spending commitments.)

2. A share of the EU's financial liabilities, i.e. the bloc's €80bn of gross debt.

3. A share of the EU's pension liabilities.

4. The cost of relocating EU bodies currently in the UK to the rest of the EU.

In a situation where we to leave the EU without a deal, they would almost certainly go to International Arbitration. It's also quite possible (likely) that the UK government would lose cases with respect to pensions under TUPE legislation in UK courts.

All told, were we to leave without a deal, we'd probably end up with a bill (on my wild estimate/guesses) in the €20-30bn range, once EU assets are taken into consideration.

But. The EU loses out at least as much as we do from no deal. The only outcome that makes any sense is that: (a) we take responsibility for UK MEPs and Eurocrats pensions, (b) the EU accepts that our share of EU assets is c. €20bn, (c) the EU offsets payments during the transition period (say three years x €8bn) as part of the payment. Together they come to (say) €70bn of notional value, and yet we we didn't write a cheque for a single euro-cent, penny or centime.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

When did you meet them?
    In Downing Street, late 2014
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,131
    kle4 said:

eek said:

Maybe he thought about every candidate in those 50 years and liked them all, we don't know.
    Tribal voting 101 - we always vote this way - why? because...
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Reminder (and a guide) to those standing for Parliament to get their application forms in. :smile:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=dE0TWjn3yFQ
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited May 2017

Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime...Imperialist war crimes that is.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    You can't buy friends. Don't give the EU a penny.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Would you like to give me odds on Cyprus approving Turkish membership of the EU?
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

I've cleared it up
    Lib Dems 1.4%? :p
    No, Lib Dems 14.

Not 14%

Just 14.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,689
    kle4 said:

eek said:

We can make an educated assumption.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    kle4 said:

eek said:

Yeah right.
  • Options
    walterwwalterw Posts: 71
    edited May 2017
    rcs1000

OK.

The EU claims we owe:

1. Spending that the UK has approved that it will no longer pay for. (As in, we signed off on a five year budget, and if we leave after year two, we approved spending commitments.)

2. A share of the EU's financial liabilities, i.e. the bloc's €80bn of gross debt.

3. A share of the EU's pension liabilities.

4. The cost of relocating EU bodies currently in the UK to the rest of the EU.

In a situation where we to leave the EU without a deal, they would almost certainly go to International Arbitration. It's also quite possible (likely) that the UK government would lose cases with respect to pensions under TUPE legislation in UK courts.

All told, were we to leave without a deal, we'd probably end up with a bill (on my wild estimate/guesses) in the €20-30bn range, once EU assets are taken into consideration.

But. The EU loses out at least as much as we do from no deal. The only outcome that makes any sense is that: (a) we take responsibility for UK MEPs and Eurocrats pensions, (b) the EU accepts that our share of EU assets is c. €20bn, (c) the EU offsets payments during the transition period (say three years x €8bn) as part of the payment. Together they come to (say) €70bn of notional value, and yet we we didn't write a cheque for a single euro-cent, penny or centime.

1 The spending the budget was clearly on the basis that we were a member.

2 Ok with a ceiling fixed at €80bn (not open ended),presumably this is loans with nothing payable except in the case of a default. ?

3 UK MEP /Bureaucrats only.

4 No ,this is completely unreasonable there is nothing to stop them functioning in the UK. until the leases expire.

Agree most of it will be paid off via a transition agreement.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

(snip)

I just think that UKIP will field a much reduced slate of candidates, so their vote share will be down on national polling (even allowing for them standing in their better prospects).

That's an extremely good point. I keep forgetting that Ukip vote share isn't just down to how much they are squeezed, its also a matter of how many seats they abandon.

Now, the available polling evidence (as well as a common sense interpretation of what has happened in the local elections) suggests that the migration of voters from Ukip to Con is 4, 5, maybe more than 5 times greater than that from Ukip to Lab - so this could have big implications in nearly all of the Lab/Con marginals outside of London. If Ukip don't field candidates at all in any given seat, then will the fraction of their support that hasn't yet defected stay at home, or split in similar proportions to those who have already abandoned the party? Could possibly be enough to tip a couple of dozen more seats into the Tory column - as well as potentially raising the Con vote share further into the upper 40s.
    I suppose it depends on how far the Tories wish to rely on the forces of Bigotry and Ignorance as represented by UKIP - and indeed the BNP - to propel them to a big majority.
This discussion has been closed.