Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marine le Pen might be 26% behind in the polls but she’s attra

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    My guess at present:

CON 47%
    LAB 24%
    LIB 12%
    UKIP 3%
    GREEN 6%

It will be a bloodbath on election night.....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798

Tonight's YouGov Sunday Times poll

Con 47% (-1)

Lab 28% (-1)

LD 14 (+4)

Changes since Wednesday

Theresa reaches the parts Cameron couldnt reach
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Sandpit said:

Also note that sub judice and contempt of court rules also very much apply to that usually unregulated political speech bubble that is the Internet.

TM knew all of this when she called the election.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    14 for LD is their highest this parliament.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,135
    edited May 2017
    Floater said:
    [director-general in charge of the budget]Calvino was very clear. The only ‘legally defensible’ approach was not to ‘cherry-pick’ the annual accounts,” said a senior EU diplomatic source, “She could not see how the EU could justify taking into account all the UK’s commitments, but not a share of the assets.”

We are not expects at this type of thing, nor are most people, but the sudden hike in the EU demands never smelt right, it seemed solely about the EU playing its part in escalating matters and making the atmosphere more hostile (yes, the EU is able to contribute to escalation as well as the UK), and was in any case demonstrably cherry picking, something the EU claims not to support anywhere else.

The 'bill' seemed on the face of it wildly overblown and reportedly not enforceable as it was not truly our obligation but a wish list, so its intent was likely just part of the diplomatic shenanigans where each side is trying to get the other to react, and be blamed for the likely no deal we will get. Given the UK is derided and mocked for not understanding the situation, for not preparing properly (with the inference the EU has both understood it perfectly and prepared) it does not make sense that they suddenly discovered they were owed 40bn more euros.

But I've had enough of Brexit for awhile. Either it's no deal, or the current rowing is just showmanship for the cameras, either way neither side can be trusted if it is the latter, and it's all pointless talk if it is the former.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

New ORB poll from the Telegraph?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/06/tories-course-gain-biggest-landslide-election-victory-seen-fifty/

CON 46 (+4), LAB 31 (nc), LD9 (-1), UKIP 8 (nc)

...'cause surbiton's a lazy bugger. :smiley:
    Thanks. When people like you are there to do it for you..........
    Spoken like a true Tory
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,097
    Scott_P said:
    Now there's a misleading headline. How's about substituting it with "FTSE at record high brings dividends for shareholders"?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751

Con 47% (-1)

Lab 28% (-1)

LD 14 (+4)

Changes since Wednesday

Dave and George set up the foundations for this victory, remember they took the Tory party from fewer than 200 MPs to 331 MPs.

Plus Dave was never fortunate to face up against Corbyn.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    felix said:

justin124 said:

surbiton said:

In the Opinium tables, VI all 10, if we add up the numbers voting 18-34, 35-44, 45-54,
    we get, C 259, Lab 269.

However, Labour are massacred thereafter. 55+ C 315, Lab 99.

The subsets are hilarious. Wales Con 29, Lab 14, PC 4. In fact, Con 29 out of 62.

At this rate, they will win every seat in Wales!

So Labour is going to be defeated by the senile and infirm?!!
    Dreadful - maybe anyone over 60 should just be put to sleep.
    It was a joke - I am over 60 myself!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,209
    edited May 2017

Thanks, but I should have said:

"I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies." :(

You mostly get the quotes right. Mostly...
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    chestnut said:

One in six Labour voters with ORB is either 'DNV' or 'extremely minor party' at the last election.

6% of their 31% are SNP/UKIP returners,

Labour's vote without these returners/DNVs/Minors is 22%

The ORB weighted sample has Leave 825, Remain 671.

No wonder they are getting such high Tory numbers.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    RobD said:

Floater said:

kle4 said:
    Was it written by Diane Abbott?
    I'd love to see the replies. Mainly in hope that people were calling them out for their insane ideas.
    The replies are worse.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Con 47% (-1)

Lab 28% (-1)

LD 14 (+4)

Changes since Wednesday

Dave and George set up the foundations for this victory, remember they took the Tory party from fewer than 200 MPs to 331 MPs.

He did last year in the local elections. And he lost.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

My guess at present:

CON 47%
    LAB 24%
    LIB 12%
    UKIP 3%
    GREEN 6%

That's an awfully low UKIP, although I suppose 7-8% does seem too high. I'm resolved to try to stop overestimating Labour and underestimating the Tories, although nearly doubling the Lab score seems like a hell of a challenge even so. Mid 20s feels right for Lab, but they look pretty stubborn at present.

High Green score too.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Yes that is quite simply deranged, sacrificing seats for votes.

If it is true there is simply no reason why any Labour candidate should continue to support Corbyn.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Con 47% (-1)

Lab 28% (-1)

LD 14 (+4)

Changes since Wednesday

He did last year in the local elections. And he lost.
    You sound like a Lib Dem, banging on about council elections, the performance was not bad for a party six years in government and tearing itself over the EU.

I'd point out Cameron was the only Prime Minister to resign as PM whilst leading in the polls.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

28% still seems optimistic for labour.....As does 47% for Tories.

It's going to be sub 25 per cent imho
  • Options
    Charles said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

New ORB poll from the Telegraph?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/06/tories-course-gain-biggest-landslide-election-victory-seen-fifty/

CON 46 (+4), LAB 31 (nc), LD9 (-1), UKIP 8 (nc)

...'cause surbiton's a lazy bugger. :smiley:
    Thanks. When people like you are there to do it for you..........
    Spoken like a true Tory
    I do like watching other people work. In fact, I think I am quite good at it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954

My guess at present:

CON 47%
    LAB 24%
    LIB 12%
    UKIP 3%
    GREEN 6%

I would say 45% Con and 25% Lab... But it does feel right for a "bloodbath" doesn't it? ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

Floater said:

kle4 said:
    I'd love to see the replies. Mainly in hope that people were calling them out for their insane ideas.
    And here are the replies:

http://i.imgur.com/gK8QouA.png
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,689
    Isn't driving up vote share rather than focusing on messages in key seats actually how elections should be fought in an ideal world?
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's all in the distribution.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

surbiton said:

In the Opinium tables, VI all 10, if we add up the numbers voting 18-34, 35-44, 45-54,
    we get, C 259, Lab 269.

However, Labour are massacred thereafter. 55+ C 315, Lab 99.

The subsets are hilarious. Wales Con 29, Lab 14, PC 4. In fact, Con 29 out of 62.

At this rate, they will win every seat in Wales!

So Labour is going to be defeated by the senile and infirm?!!
    Dreadful - maybe anyone over 60 should just be put to sleep.
    It was a joke - I am over 60 myself!
    Indeed - double it plus 4 if your username is an indication.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

chestnut said:

One in six Labour voters with ORB is either 'DNV' or 'extremely minor party' at the last election.

6% of their 31% are SNP/UKIP returners,

Labour's vote without these returners/DNVs/Minors is 22%

The ORB weighted sample has Leave 825, Remain 671.

No wonder they are getting such high Tory numbers.
    Fair point.

So between us, are we saying that this pollster is of dubious credibility?
  • Options

Isn't driving up vote share rather than focusing on messages in key seats actually how elections should be fought in an ideal world?
    Nah, see 2015 in England.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/09/13/corbyns-english-challenge/
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Alistair said:

calum said:

The 5/1 long shot - got 25p on with Betfair - Tories now 1/10 !

https://twitter.com/CalumKerrSNP/status/860943735957463041

If SNP hold BRS and take the Holyrood seat I would be poor and feel guilty about all the people i told to pile on the Tories at the absurdly generous odds but I would laugh for a week.
    I guess that goes for "diverse" in the borders.....
  • Options
    They are completely bonkers. To hell with the West Midlands and Norh East, let's concentrate on getting the vote out in London and Liverpool.

Great news for @Tissue_Price in Don Valley though!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017
    Tonight's YouGov represents a swing of almost 5% from Lab to LD since GE2015. A rare bit of good news for the yellows.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    The Observer picture editor obviously has a mean SOH, choosing that pic of Corbyn.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

My guess at present:

CON 47%
    LAB 24%
    LIB 12%
    UKIP 3%
    GREEN 6%

I would imagine that the Greens won't do nearly that well (they are the only party liable to be squeezed by Labour,) and that Ukip will not collapse so completely: although they have declined more than I expected, I believe that they do have a constituency that will stick with them. Some people still won't trust either Labour or the Tories, and in particular some will remain sceptical of what May has in mind vis-a-vis Brexit. In short, you can probably swap those Green and Ukip estimates around.

I think you're probably in the right ball park for the Lib Dems. Labour somewhere around 25%, Cons around 45%. I don't believe what the polls that put them around 30% are saying; certainly, if the pollsters continue to stubbornly rate Labour at 30% and they turn out to be right, then I'll be both astonished and fascinated to know where they found all the extra voters!

Historical precedent suggests that Labour should achieve less than their PNS from the locals, and that was only 27%. I therefore remain convinced that polls that are more generous to Labour than that are wrong.
  • Options
    Prodicus said:

The Observer picture editor obviously has a mean SOH, choosing that pic of Corbyn.

Choosing pics for PB thread headers is something I never expected to enjoy this much.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,596
    LibDem surge +4% in tonight's Yougov - surely a new OGH thread is imminent....?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

The LD figure looks a bit high - no reason why they would have received a boost from the locals.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    GIN1138 said:

My guess at present:

CON 47%
    LAB 24%
    LIB 12%
    UKIP 3%
    GREEN 6%

I would say 45% Con and 25% Lab... But it does feel right for a "bloodbath" doesn't it? ;)
    Certainly higher than a 48 majority. That forecast wasn't necessarily wrong in the context of the local elections when the Tories would have lost seats like Watford and St Albans that they probably won't lose at the GE.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

They are completely bonkers. To hell with the West Midlands and Norh East, let's concentrate on getting the vote out in London and Liverpool.

Concentrating on saving seats may make sense, but to sacrifice even that in order to pile up useless votes is actively harmful to the party. How the hell can any Labour candidate put up with "leadership" like that?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Joint highest.

Ipsos MORI also had them on 14% in December.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

RobD said:

Floater said:

kle4 said:
    And here are the replies:

http://i.imgur.com/gK8QouA.png
    Your privacy will not be affected unless you are voting for Conservatives/Government in power

Oh, well that's fine then.

Sadly, it's Labour voters who don't turn out to vote

Pretty obvious problem with that sentence, but I'll be charitable and assume by 'Labour voter' they meant 'Labour supporter', although frankly they shouldn't rely on that. My anecdotal elderly non-voter and self described 'Labour man' is now saying they will vote in a GE for the first time, but to stop Corbyn. So they supported Labour in theory all their life, but the first time they vote (if they do) will be against them.

I also think ever working class council tenant who votes Tory should have to give up their council house

Yes of course, how dare people vote the wrong way!

I know there are far right idiots who post hilarious nonsense too, but this is some good stuff.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Con 47% (-1)

Lab 28% (-1)

LD 14 (+4)

Changes since Wednesday

True, Brown was a tough match up- adding 3.7% to what Howard managed against Blair was a performance for the ages.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited May 2017
    Is jezza really going to stand there a day after the GE with a Tory majority of 150 and say well but I got 29% of the vote with record numbers in places like Liverpool therefore it shows my message is one the British public want to and therefore I will stay on.... Certifiable.
  • Options
    CORRECTION THE LIB DEMS AREN'T ON 14% WITH YOUGOV. I MISREAD THE ARTICLE
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    what was the 51% tweet earlier all about?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited May 2017
    Cameron must be the most successful politician in terms of electoral progress of all time.

From under 200 seats to Government five years later.

Then told that "Whoever wins this GE will be out of power for a generation because of cuts required"

What happened? He governed for 5 years with all the difficulties of coalition and then went on to win a majority (also against the "rule" that governing parties always fall back).

But TMay is the right person for the right time - she will win more votes today than Cameron would have won today - but she could never have achieved what Cameron did between 2005 and 2015.
  • Options

Has anyone checked the stock markets lately? *innocent face*
  • Options

Are they on 18% ?
  • Options
    Everyone has to vote. Even if you don't vote Tory just vote, we have to get that share below 30% so he goes.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Con 47% (-1)

Lab 28% (-1)

LD 14 (+4)

Changes since Wednesday

True, Brown was a tough match up- adding 3.7% to what Howard managed against Blair was a performance for the ages.
    Took us to power didn't it?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

Floater said:
    [director-general in charge of the budget]Calvino was very clear. The only ‘legally defensible’ approach was not to ‘cherry-pick’ the annual accounts,” said a senior EU diplomatic source, “She could not see how the EU could justify taking into account all the UK’s commitments, but not a share of the assets.”

We are not expects at this type of thing, nor are most people, but the sudden hike in the EU demands never smelt right, it seemed solely about the EU playing its part in escalating matters and making the atmosphere more hostile (yes, the EU is able to contribute to escalation as well as the UK), and was in any case demonstrably cherry picking, something the EU claims not to support anywhere else.

The 'bill' seemed on the face of it wildly overblown and reportedly not enforceable as it was not truly our obligation but a wish list, so its intent was likely just part of the diplomatic shenanigans where each side is trying to get the other to react, and be blamed for the likely no deal we will get. Given the UK is derided and mocked for not understanding the situation, for not preparing properly (with the inference the EU has both understood it perfectly and prepared) it does not make sense that they suddenly discovered they were owed 40bn more euros.

But I've had enough of Brexit for awhile. Either it's no deal, or the current rowing is just showmanship for the cameras, either way neither side can be trusted if it is the latter, and it's all pointless talk if it is the former.
    The difference is because the €100bn is gross and €60bn net as I read. Some of the figue is liability for loans, to Ireland for example, that are going to be repaid, at which point we get our money back.

Not that it is politically possible to agree anything like that.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/860967333086605314

I doubt this one moved the markets...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    Sandpit said:

Great news for @Tissue_Price in Don Valley though!
    GOTV in Knowsley, ye Gods
  • Options

Is jezza really going to stand there a day after the GE with a Tory majority of 150 and say well but I got 29% of the vote with record numbers in places like Liverpool therefore it shows my message is one the British public want to and therefore I will stay on.... Certifiable.

I've been skeptical of the claims that he would stay on after a landslide loss, I feel like that would finally push many MPs to just leave the party and not wait for a leadership contest, and he doesn't want that because he might lose.

But if he gets the same percentage as Ed M, I could see it. He would have some basis at least that perhaps if he had had a united party they would have done better still.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Con 47% (-1)

Lab 28% (-1)

LD 14 (+4)

Changes since Wednesday

The minor parties must have been massively squeezed to get those figures.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,867
    justin124 said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

The LD figure looks a bit high - no reason why they would have received a boost from the locals.
    I don't see in principle why not. Lib Dems spend most of the time being ignored but try to catch people's attention during elections and so usually see a boost at that time. They are also relatively strong on local politics. Having a local election just before a national one is helpful to them.
  • Options
    nunu said:

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/860967333086605314

I doubt this one moved the markets...

Especially since it's Saturday....before a PB'er makes that comment....
  • Options
    So what is the YG poll ?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    edited May 2017
    MikeL said:

Cameron must be the most successful politician in terms of electoral progress of all time.

From 165 seats to Government five years later.

Then told that "Whoever wins this GE will be out of power for a generation because of cuts required"

What happened? He governed for 5 years with all the difficulties of coalition and then went on to win a majority (also against the "rule" that governing parties always fall back).

But TMay is the right person for the right time - she will win more votes today than Cameron would have won today - but she could never have achieved what Cameron did between 2005 and 2015.

Don't you mean from 198 seats to Government in five years?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,689

Nah, see 2015 in England.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/09/13/corbyns-english-challenge/
    I'm aware it's unlikely to be a successful strategy, what I'm saying is that it is the ideal of what an election really ought to be. Having popular policies and getting a lot of votes. As such it can't really be credibly labelled as a dastardly plot.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    GIN1138 said:

My guess at present:

CON 47%
    LAB 24%
    LIB 12%
    UKIP 3%
    GREEN 6%

While we're in prediction mode, I'll start with C 46 L 27 LD 12, which I think is a Tory majority of 130+. Trouble is, it's hard to be confident that Labour will keep it together for the next 5 weeks.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

So what is the YG poll ?

Con 47% (-1)

Lab 28% (-1)

Changes since Wednesday
  • Options

We all make mistakes. In my area yesterday two divisions had incorrect winners declared. Talk about embarrassing (nothing to do with me, I hasten to add).
  • Options
    On reasons for Labour losses at local elections:

Corbyn: 14%
    Right wing populism: 35%
    Failed Blairite coup last year: 51%

YouGov (May 5)
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

ramping.
  • Options

Tut! ;)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

My guess at present:

CON 47%
    LAB 24%
    LIB 12%
    UKIP 3%
    GREEN 6%

I would imagine that the Greens won't do nearly that well (they are the only party liable to be squeezed by Labour,) and that Ukip will not collapse so completely: although they have declined more than I expected, I believe that they do have a constituency that will stick with them. Some people still won't trust either Labour or the Tories, and in particular some will remain sceptical of what May has in mind vis-a-vis Brexit. In short, you can probably swap those Green and Ukip estimates around.

I think you're probably in the right ball park for the Lib Dems. Labour somewhere around 25%, Cons around 45%. I don't believe what the polls that put them around 30% are saying; certainly, if the pollsters continue to stubbornly rate Labour at 30% and they turn out to be right, then I'll be both astonished and fascinated to know where they found all the extra voters!

Historical precedent suggests that Labour should achieve less than their PNS from the locals, and that was only 27%. I therefore remain convinced that polls that are more generous to Labour than that are wrong.
    My thinking for the Greens is that they might benefit from some "anti-Corbyn but never Tory" sentiment.

I just think that UKIP will field a much reduced slate of candidates, so their vote share will be down on national polling (even allowing for them standing in their better prospects).
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

On reasons for Labour losses at local elections:

Corbyn: 14%
    Right wing populism: 35%
    Failed Blairite coup last year: 51%

YouGov (May 5)

You what? Who thinks this?

I'll be charitable and say the Tory rise (we'll call it right wing populism here I guess) was a bigger reason than merely Corbyn (although the two linked to some degree), but the Blairite Coup?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DINKYs = Double Income, No Kids Yet.

I think I'm the only one who remembers BCBG - bon chic, bon genre - but it never really caught on in England

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByWQz7vusP8

• Options
    edited May 2017
    nunu said:

Everyone has to vote. Even if you don't vote Tory just vote, we have to get that share below 30% so he goes.
    Tell everyone you know, register to vote before 22nd May. #signuptovote
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NVbJ0QMWKdk
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Tut! ;)
    Poor show.
  • Options
    So, LDs and Labour are both now committed to keeping the Triple Lock? Both are really trying to dig into the elderly vote, and presumably thinking the Tories will not commit to keeping it, which I hope is the case but seeing how TMay panicked over the budget I doubt will be the case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39831522
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

The difference is because the €100bn is gross and €60bn net as I read. Some of the figue is liability for loans, to Ireland for example, that are going to be repaid, at which point we get our money back.

It is probably now sinking in with the Remoanariat that compared with these figures £350m a week looks like a sober, cautious, conservative, prudent and responsible estimate. Embarrassing for them, since the only "lie" they can now rely on is that Leave said that negotiations were on foot for Turkey to join the EU - a shocking travesty of the true situation, which is that negotiations were on foot for Turkey to join the EU.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    That's really interesting. Naive little me, I thought that party HQ was arranging for Corbyn to be subtly shoved out of the way of the marginal defences, but I should've known better. They can help out the rank-and-file MPs as much as they can, but what power do they have to influence where the leader goes campaigning?

His pattern of visits all makes perfect sense now: go to Tory-held marginals they know full well they aren't going to win, so that it makes it look as if Team Corbyn is making a genuine effort to take the fight to the Tories - and then back to the ultra safe seats to try to enthuse the base and get the vote up. The marginals can all be abandoned to their fate, whilst Jeremy concentrates on maximising turnout in the inner cities, which are also the places containing disproportionate concentrations of his shrunken list of target voter groups, in particular black and Muslim voters and the very poor. Thus he can genuinely claim his vote share hasn't collapsed, and blame the Tory landslide (which would still come under such circumstances, because Labour turnout would be concentrated in the inner cities, whilst the drop in the vote would be all the more dramatic elsewhere) on Ukip to Con defectors.

Its a perfect formula for wearing Labour down to a genuine Hard Left party, stripped largely of inconvenient white working class voters with traditional views, whilst increasing the proportion of the remaining MPs that are from his own faction at the same time. Why didn't I see it before? It's brilliant! I mean, for the Corbyn faction, not for the Labour Party, which would of course be headed for permanent rump status.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    IanB2 said:

GIN1138 said:

Tut! ;)
    Poor show.
    He's too busy using his lousy chat up line on women around Manchester to know what the hell's going on... ;)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2017
    Rallings & Thrasher has the Tories and Labour both 1 point higher than the first BBC estimates on Friday, and the LibDems 4 points lower.

That makes far more sense for the LDs, it didn't make much sense for them to have lost seats if they really had gained as much in voteshare as the BBC were saying.
  • Options
    Something tells me I'm going to get dumped during this general election campaign.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

It is probably now sinking in with the Remoanariat that compared with these figures £350m a week looks like a sober, cautious, conservative, prudent and responsible estimate. Embarrassing for them, since the only "lie" they can now rely on is that Leave said that negotiations were on foot for Turkey to join the EU - a shocking travesty of the true situation, which is that negotiations were on foot for Turkey to join the EU.
    The 'lie' was the impression given it was imminent, which it very much is not since they've been talking about it over 30 years and seem to be moving further away from joining, no matter any talk of fast tracking at times (seemingly as just nice talk, rather than any true indication the joining was moving significantly closer). As a leaver, I'll give the remoaners that one.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    tlg86 said:

MikeL said:

From 165 seats to Government five years later.

Don't you mean from 198 seats to Government in five years?
    Yes - apologies - have already edited original post.
  • Options

Something tells me I'm going to get dumped during this general election campaign.

Mike finally going to bring someone in that knows what they're doing? :D
  • Options
    Well Sporting Index, Spreadex and Betfair all reckon they'll pick up 70 or 75!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I meant by my girlfriend.

Though I suspect Mike may dump me after tomorrow's morning thread.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That analysis seems to assume the Tories will secure the same vote share in the general (39%) that they did in the local... Which is a point of view I suppose...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Given how bad Ralling and Thrasher's predictions have been during the last two years, we should be getting ready for a Tory majority of 250 on June 8th
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The 'lie' was the impression given it was imminent, which it very much is not since they've been talking about it over 30 years and seem to be moving further away from joining, no matter any talk of fast tracking at times. As a leaver, I'll give the remoaners that one.
    I have 30 years left in the tank, which is probably about the median for PBers, and I have children who may in turn have children, and even if I didn't I do not subscribe to the Leadsomite view of non-parenthood, and we last had a vote in 1975, and for all those reasons I voted with a minimum 40 year timeframe in mind. And if the EU wasn't going to make up its mind over Turkey within that time, we should be leaving it on grounds of incompetent and dilatory wankerdom.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Lowering the tone with the morning thread again?
  • Options
    What's Rallings and Thrasher's previous record on elections like? At the moment I'm putting zero stock in what they say.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Chameleon said:

What's Rallings and Thrasher's previous record on elections like?

Somewhere between Gord bad and Jezza bad... ;)
  • Options
    Well his source in the party could've made it up of course.

If it is true, it's (unsurprisingly) delusional. 1. Getting people in safe seats to vote is like stamping out schadenfreude in the EU - impossible unless you bribe them. And 2. if (I mean when) May gets a 100+ majority no-one is going to be impressed by the size of Corbyn's %.

And 3. Labour is not going to get 30% in this election!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Lowering the tone with the morning thread again?
    Subject content and lowering the tone.

Only saving grace is that it is a betting thread,
  • Options

Its a perfect formula for wearing Labour down to a genuine Hard Left party, stripped largely of inconvenient white working class voters with traditional views, whilst increasing the proportion of the remaining MPs that are from his own faction at the same time. Why didn't I see it before? It's brilliant! I mean, for the Corbyn faction, not for the Labour Party, which would of course be headed for permanent rump status.

That makes a fair bit of sense. I wonder how many Labour candidates see it too? And when are they going to act?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

GIN1138 said:

Has she been put off by the relentless AV discussions? :p
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The 'lie' was the impression given it was imminent, which it very much is not since they've been talking about it over 30 years and seem to be moving further away from joining, no matter any talk of fast tracking at times (seemingly as just nice talk, rather than any true indication the joining was moving significantly closer). As a leaver, I'll give the remoaners that one.
    And yet, one week after the Brexit vote:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36672242
    "The EU has opened a new chapter in Turkey's EU membership talks..."
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Darling, would you excuse me for a few minutes whilst I tweet, post to a blog, and bet is starting to annoy her I fear.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    kjohnw said:

Presumably the 51% blaming the Blairite coup for Labour losses!!
  • Options

Maybe Corbyn can claim that as his victory?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Rallings and Thrasher say Mrs May will pick up just 24 seats on June 8th
    That's not what the extract says, unless there's more to it than I can see. It says Rallings and Thrasher says they got X in the locals, then the article says that puts them on course to win 24 seats. But that presumes X is what the proportions will be on 8 June, and the pictured extract doesn't say Rallings and Thrasher think that will be the case. They might do, but the extract doesn't say.
  • Options

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Darling, would you excuse me for a few minutes whilst I tweet, post to a blog, and bet is starting to annoy her I fear.
    Have you mentioned it is a blog read by Prime Ministers? :D:p
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Morning glory ahead...
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

That's a bit harsh, calling your girlfriend "something"...!
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 712

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Don't have her around all the time would be my advice - if you're doing politics stuff make sure she's not around if poss, when you're with her try to stay away from the politics!
This discussion has been closed.