Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marine le Pen might be 26% behind in the polls but she’s attra

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,543

Re France - is tomorrrow Hollande's last day or is there a transistional period

The inauguration is the following weekend.
    Thank you
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

I can feel another polling disaster inquiry coming on...

--under or overstatement and of whom?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    The 5/1 long shot - got 25p on with Betfair - Tories now 1/10 !

https://twitter.com/CalumKerrSNP/status/860943735957463041
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Liverpool fans to unveil huge Jeremy Corbyn banner at Anfield tomorrow

Derek Hatton For PM
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

"You'll Never Walk Alone ....

Into The Electoral Abyss

You'll Take Dozens Of Labour MP With You ...."
    Perhaps the Fab Four said it all:

"He's a real nowhere man,
    Sitting in his Nowhere Land,
    Making all his nowhere plans
    for nobody."
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,650
    Labour - only winning in cities being with with the letter L.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,046

RobD said:

Isn't it entirely in the CPS' hands now? The decision is based on the information in the case file

I heard some background to one of the cases today. 12 "charges" were being investigated by the police relating to expenses.

One was - why were there no receipts submitted for their Facebook page?

Another was - why was there no receipt for an advert in the local paper where the by now MP thanked the voters for their support.

Another was a claim that the then Home Secretary, now PM, arrived in the constituency in a second, secret trip by the battle-bus - rather than driven in by Special Branch minders.

On and on. Nonsense, top to bottom.
    The Thanet ones don't sound like nonsense...
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    JackW said:

Derek Hatton For PM
    Degsy's an Evertonian I think you'll find!
  • Options

Vote Lilo Lil - She Is A Tart
  • Options
    edited May 2017

They wont be under Corbyn when all their footballers leave due to punitive wealth taxes
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,730
    JackW said:

"You'll Never Walk Alone ....

Into The Electoral Abyss

You'll Take Dozens Of Labour MP With You ...."
    "You'll Never Vote Alone"
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Isn't it entirely in the CPS' hands now? The decision is based on the information in the case file

I heard some background to one of the cases today. 12 "charges" were being investigated by the police relating to expenses.

Another was - why was there no receipt for an advert in the local paper where the by now MP thanked the voters for their support.

Another was a claim that the then Home Secretary, now PM, arrived in the constituency in a second, secret trip by the battle-bus - rather than driven in by Special Branch minders.

Hey, RobD! Don't worry! Me and my squad of ultimate PB Tories will protect you!

Aliens on Film4 right now :)
  • Options

Dianne Abbott For IMF Manager
  • Options
    edited May 2017

They wont be under Corbyn when all their footballers leave due to punitive wealth taxes
    With his nonsense maximum wage there won't be any professional football.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,219
    RobD said:

RobD said:

I've always said I thought the Thanet charges may well need an airing in court. But much of the rest - the "battlebus" stuff - is likely to prove a politically motivated waste of police time.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,121
    This is the banner:

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,972
    JackW said:

Vote Lilo Lil - She Is A Tart
    The Proddy Vicar from Bread should become the Tory MP for Clacton next month.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,318
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

The scene where Ripley is desperately trying to turn off the self destruct... somewhat analogous to the position moderate Lab MPs are in now.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,398
    RobD said:

RobD said:

No it doesn't. If a high number are prosecuted, then even if pretty marginal matters I can see the Tories taking a slight hit, but momentum is high (jury is still out on whether Momentum is high, however) and there'd have to be several egregious breaches to really derail things I think. If there's a handful of serious cases, that could lead to a bump in the road, but i have doubts it would be sustained (though it could be close to election day). If there's only 1 or two charges, though serious, it'll be shrugged off.

I'm a firm believer in punishing for procedural type errors - you should not have any problem following the rules - and for some who are looking for reasons to not trust the Tories even a small breach will offput them, but unless there are either lots of charges and/or very serious ones, I don't think it will connect with the public as much as some hope.
  • Options

This is the banner:

Hope the TV promote it - another own goal (if you excuse the pun)
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    JackW said:

Dianne Abbott For IMF Manager
    IMF? She'd be rejected by MFI.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

This is the banner:

All the Chinese tourists on the Kop are probably used to seeing things like that.
  • Options
    calum said:

Clearly photoshopped. Kelso - sunny?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    justin124 said:

surbiton said:

In the Opinium tables, VI all 10, if we add up the numbers voting 18-34, 35-44, 45-54,
    we get, C 259, Lab 269.

However, Labour are massacred thereafter. 55+ C 315, Lab 99.

The subsets are hilarious. Wales Con 29, Lab 14, PC 4. In fact, Con 29 out of 62.

At this rate, they will win every seat in Wales!

So Labour is going to be defeated by the senile and infirm?!!
    Dreadful - maybe anyone over 60 should just be put to sleep.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

No it doesn't. If a high number are prosecuted, then even if pretty marginal matters I can see the Tories taking a slight hit, but momentum is high (jury is still out on whether Momentum is high, however) and there'd have to be several egregious breaches to really derail things I think. If there's a handful of serious cases, that could lead to a bump in the road, but i have doubts it would be sustained (though it could be close to election day). If there's only 1 or two charges, though serious, it'll be shrugged off.

I'm a firm believer in punishing for procedural type errors - you should not have any problem following the rules - and for some who are looking for reasons to not trust the Tories even a small breach will offput them, but unless there are either lots of charges and/or very serious ones, I don't think it will connect with the public as much as some hope.
    The procedural errors were covered by the Commission fine. They are now investigating criminal intent.
  • Options
    There's people already convinced the Tories literally bought the last election - I do wonder if Corbyn would prefer charges or no charges. Sure, charges gives an opportunity to point out corrupt Tories, but he's be limited in how much he was allowed to say. No charges and he can say it is about a corrupt system that lets people get away with things.
  • Options

This is the banner:

What is the second from the left badge?
  • Options

Corbyn's Gonna Kop It
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The scene where Ripley is desperately trying to turn off the self destruct... somewhat analogous to the position moderate Lab MPs are in now.
    You may be thinking of the scene in Alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz4kXFI_VtE

• Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The procedural errors were covered by the Commission fine. They are now investigating criminal intent.
    I was using the term a little broadly - I meant more technical breaches which could still be criminal in intent. Eg deliberately accounting things incorrectly, overspending a little vs the big stuff, like in Thanet.
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    felix said:

justin124 said:

surbiton said:

In the Opinium tables, VI all 10, if we add up the numbers voting 18-34, 35-44, 45-54,
    we get, C 259, Lab 269.

The subsets are hilarious. Wales Con 29, Lab 14, PC 4. In fact, Con 29 out of 62.

It's not that easy. I can rarely manage more than 5 hours a night.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,121

This is the banner:

http://www.shrewsbury24campaign.org.uk
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

As I understand the problem is with the battle bus and Theresa May has already said it is not the MP's fault. Also all the MP's are standing as far as I am aware so CCHQ must be confident of the outcome
  • Options

Sometimes it sucks to be a Liverpool fan.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    viewcode said:
    it's not mine.
  • Options

This is the banner:

http://www.shrewsbury24campaign.org.uk
    Oh god....Another conspiracy....Has Ricky tomlinson showed anybody his too secret binder of evidence that he is always so keen to tell people about but less keen for anybody to see it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sometimes it sucks to be a Liverpool fan.
    I'm just glad my sciatica flare up prevents me from going to Anfield tomorrow.
  • Options

felix said:

justin124 said:

surbiton said:

we get, C 259, Lab 269.

It's not that easy. I can rarely manage more than 5 hours a night.
    Lol - me neither.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I was using the term a little broadly - I meant more technical breaches which could still be criminal in intent. Eg deliberately accounting things incorrectly, overspending a little vs the big stuff, like in Thanet.
    Yeah, that's fair enough. Just hope it isn't a drip-drip-drip of announcements over a four week period.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

What is a Labour Man U fan supposed to do ? Mind you, they voted for an Evertonian big time.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Isn't Corbyn an Arsenal fan, in any case?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

MTimT said:

Is there going to be an election prediction competition this time? FWIW, for the GB vote, I'll go for something like:
    Tories 45.6%
    Labour 24.7%
    LDs 11.8%
    UKIP 6.9%
    Greens 5.4%
    SNP 5.0%
    Others the balance

UKIP and Green look a tad high?
    I'd go:

Tories ....... 43.5%
    Labour ...... 27.7%
    LibDem ..... 13.3%
    UKIP ........... 5.2%
    Greens ....... 4.1%
    SNP ............ 4.8%
    Others ........ 1.4%

Tory Seats: 385 = 120 Overall Majority
    That looks pretty reasonable.... SNP and Greens maybe a tad too high. Hmm.
    People seem to think there's no way the toris will get 150 seats. I can't see why not?

Tories.......46%

Labour.......26%

Libdem......12%

UKIP........6.5%

Green.......3.8%

SNP..........4.5%
  • Options

Shhh !
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

As I understand the problem is with the battle bus and Theresa May has already said it is not the MP's fault. Also all the MP's are standing as far as I am aware so CCHQ must be confident of the outcome
    The issue is whether an item of national expenditure (unrestricted) should be levied on individual constituencies (restricted) and if so, how is it to be sliced and diced. The finest legal minds in the CPS have been debating the issue for two long years so it's somewhat unreasonable to expect a bog-standard Tory MP or agent to anticipate their conclusions in the 28 days allowed for an expenses return. Ignorance of the law may be no excuse, but honest behaviour without criminal intent prior to the law being clarified is a defensible position.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I am searching for ORB in this thread and all I get is Corbyn.

What were the figures anyway ?
  • Options
    RobD said:
    What about those who aren't voting CON but would never vote for Labour under the Corbynsiah? (I still cannot get over that LabourList comment literally compared Corbyn to 'the other JC')
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,228
    kle4 said:

There's people already convinced the Tories literally bought the last election - I do wonder if Corbyn would prefer charges or no charges. Sure, charges gives an opportunity to point out corrupt Tories, but he's be limited in how much he was allowed to say. No charges and he can say it is about a corrupt system that lets people get away with things.

That's an interesting way of thinking about it.

Also, if anyone does get charged with a criminal offence, then anyone who subsequently talks publicly about the case could be held in contempt of court. Any politician who tried to mention the case or cases in an interview or speech on TV or radio will very quickly find themselves cut off by the broadcaster.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/860956670784139265

In that photo is corbyn demonstrating what he intends do to the bollocks of those on £80k+ ?
  • Options
    nunu said:

viewcode said:
    it's not mine.
    I was thanking you for the link, not for the list to which the link pointed.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Wasn't the number being floated before 75k, or did I imagine that?

Well, it's almost 3 times what I get, so sure, raid 'em.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

What is a Labour Man U fan supposed to do ? Mind you, they voted for an Evertonian big time.
    Wayne Rooney?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Go for it. Suck me dry. At least, do something. It's a start.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

"I can't say much for your chances, but you have my sympathies."
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    That sounds like a terrible chat up line.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

Wayne Rooney?
    Andy Burnham.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    Well, it's direct at least.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    Are we sure it isn't seanT's tinder profile?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,034

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    Filth! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz4kXFI_VtE

That's the one :D
  • Options

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    I understand it works in Manchester :)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Wasn't the number being floated before 75k, or did I imagine that?

Well, it's almost 3 times what I get, so sure, raid 'em.
    feck off :-)
  • Options

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    It would, I've used some of the worst chat up lines in history in Manchester.
  • Options
    RobD said:

New ORB poll from the Telegraph?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/06/tories-course-gain-biggest-landslide-election-victory-seen-fifty/

CON 46 (+4), LAB 31 (nc), LD9 (-1), UKIP 8 (nc)

...'cause surbiton's a lazy bugger. :smiley:
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

Wayne Rooney?
    Andy Burnham.
    I guess the difference is that the grannies of Manchester are safe from Andy Burnham. ;)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,339
    edited May 2017
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Also, if anyone does get charged with a criminal offence, then anyone who subsequently talks publicly about the case could be held in contempt of court. Any politician who tried to mention the case or cases in an interview or speech on TV or radio will very quickly find themselves cut off by the broadcaster.
    I seem to remember Starmer when DPP standing in front of cameras making an announcement re charging someone.

So presumably there would basically just be one day of news headlines "DPP announces charges ........." but then that would pretty well be it.

If so, the damage to Con shouldn't be that great.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    kle4 said:
    Was it written by Diane Abbott?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    That's sophisticated speak round here.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

RobD said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/06/tories-course-gain-biggest-landslide-election-victory-seen-fifty/

Thanks. When people like you are there to do it for you..........

This 30/31% is becoming quite entrenched.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Lazy and cheeky... :D
  • Options
    Floater said:

kle4 said:
    Was it written by Diane Abbott?
    I'd love to see the replies. Mainly in hope that people were calling them out for their insane ideas.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

This 30/31% is becoming quite entrenched.
    Yes, at what point do we have to start believing it. however much it seems strange?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    My memory does not go that far back!

So what will you do tomorrow when the Corbyn banner is unfurled ?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,037

kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The issue is whether an item of national expenditure (unrestricted) should be levied on individual constituencies (restricted) and if so, how is it to be sliced and diced. The finest legal minds in the CPS have been debating the issue for two long years so it's somewhat unreasonable to expect a bog-standard Tory MP or agent to anticipate their conclusions in the 28 days allowed for an expenses return. Ignorance of the law may be no excuse, but honest behaviour without criminal intent prior to the law being clarified is a defensible position.
    Also... if well-heeled activists turn up and campaign at their own expense, do you have to record their travel, accommodation and subsistence expenses as donations to your local campaign? Because that's really no different to Central Office paying people's expenses.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    MikeL said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

I seem to remember Starmer when DPP standing in front of cameras making an announcement re charging someone.

So presumably there would basically just be one day of news headlines "DPP announces charges ........." but then that would pretty well be it.

If so, the damage to Con shouldn't be that great.
    That's my understanding, I'm sure one of the many PB lawyers will confirm. The CPS will announce charges, the media will report in a matter of fact manner, may interview another journalist for background on the case but being very aware of the context of the election. No way will any politician be asked on to comment on the charges. Then nothing until the start of the trial, which may be many months away.

Also note that sub judice and contempt of court rules also very much apply to that usually unregulated political speech bubble that is the Internet.
  • Options

viewcode said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Welcome back.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,265
    Apologies for not doing this in time for the previous thread, but I've gone through the results in Surrey to see if we can learn anything about the Lib Dems. They only gained two seats from the Tories - Caterham Valley and Godalming North. The first of these includes a number of railway stations on Southern (that might be an issue here) while the latter has Godalming and Farncombe railway stations.

It would seem reasonable to assume that the Lib Dems performed particularly well in these locations due to them having a higher number of Remain voting London commuters. So with this in mind I've taken a look at how the Lib Dems did in Woking, Guildford and Haselmere as these also have a high number of commuters. Here's how they got on:

Woking South West: +7.4 pp
    Goldworth East and Horsell Village: +7.9 pp
    Woking South: +10.2 pp
    Woking South East: +12.5 pp
    Woking North: -4.2 pp
    Guildford South West: +16.2 pp
    Guidford East: +10.7 pp
    Guildford North: +6.9 pp
    Guildford South East: +14.5 pp
    Guildford West: +8.1pp
    Godalming North: +24.7 pp
    Haselmere: +19.9 pp (the independent that won in 2013 did not run in 2017)

All: +10.6 pp

In Surrey as a whole, the Lib Dems were up 7 pp, so they did better in these places. So the Lib Dems might do better in SW London than the national polls are suggesting, but of course these are just local elections on relatively low turnouts.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:
    It's way too subtle for Manchester.
  • Options
    Will there be a ST/Yougov ? It should be now, right ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,034
    When's YouGov expected? Some of us have got things to do...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2017
    calum said:

If SNP hold BRS and take the Holyrood seat I would be poor and feel guilty about all the people i told to pile on the Tories at the absurdly generous odds but I would laugh for a week.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    houndtang said:

My guess at present

CON 44%
    LAB 28%
    LIB 12%
    UKIP 5%
    GREEN 5%

For the Tories to breach 44% would in itself be quite an achievement. That hasn't happened since 1970 (when Labour actually lost with a vote share of 43%).

Thatcherpolled over 44% in 1979 in GB.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,339
    ORB tables - note that fieldwork was 3/4 May so before results of Local Elections.

http://orb-international.com/perch/resources/orb-the-telegraph-3rd-4th-may.pdf
  • Options

Good summary. It is not so much a case of ignorance of the law. The candidates (now MPs) were told by CCHQ that the battlebus was to be treated as national expenditure.

There are a number of cases where the safety first approach of including a proportion of the battlebus costs would still have meant the expenses were within set limits.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

So was Osama Bin Laden, do I detect a pattern?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    One in six Labour voters with ORB is either 'DNV' or 'extremely minor party' at the last election.

6% of their 31% are SNP/UKIP returners,

Labour's vote without these returners/DNVs/Minors is 22%
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Yougov - Tories 47 / labour 28
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Tonight's YouGov Sunday Times poll

Con 47% (-1)

Lab 28% (-1)

LD 14 (+4)

Changes since Wednesday
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Floater said:
    LOL. File under "No shit, Sherlock"

The EU budget only runs until 2020, there's no way we would be any obligation to them whatsoever after that date. Maybe we might be kind enough to pay a proportion, say 33%, between our leave date in 2019 and the end of the budget cycle. So £4bn.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    surbiton said:

Shhh !
    Used to be good, but off form for the last couple of years and loud demands to replace the manager?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Welcome back.
    Thanks, but I should have said:

"I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies." :(
  • Options
    28% still seems optimistic for labour.....As does 47% for Tories.
This discussion has been closed.