Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Caught in the backwash. The SNP subsides and the Conservatives

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,162
    F1: written most of the pre-qualifying piece. The markets are very bullish on Ferrari prospects. Hmm.

Waiting for Ladbrokes to wake up.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    Interesting editorial in the Sun - 'ditch the triple lock to help the young':

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/858256056430022656
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    justin124 said:

Europe Elects‏ @EuropeElects
    France: Presidential election (run-off), Odoxa poll:

Macron (EM-*): 59% (-4)
    Fillon (LR-EPP): 41% (+4)

Fillon has already been eliminated!
    News travels slowly to the Channel Islands. Maybe, the ferry was cancelled.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    isam said:

isam said:

HaroldO said:

isam said:

Why risk anything when she is so far ahead? She might think that her people skills may hinder the Conservatives chances rather than help them

Seems pretty sensible really

Sterile though, very sterile. Unless she starts to work her way into events with actual voters of course, then it may at least be something sensible.
    It seems that at a time of uncertainty, & when the alternative is wacky, sterile is a winner. You can tell its the right thing to do because all her critics want her to do something else.

It's a very effective way to fight a campaign against a dismal opponent. But May might be better off thinking about the longer term. She could be using this election to build a genuine rapport with voters, instead of avoiding them. At some stage the proper Brexit negotiations will begin and hard choices will be unavoidable. Banking goodwill for that moment might have been a wise strategy given that she is fighting an election that it is literally impossible for her to lose.

I kind of said this to HaroldO, but it seems to me that she isn't particularly suited to impromptu banter with the public, and meeting them may lose her goodwill rather than bank it. I don't really see how meeting the public in a forced environment really matters one way or the other really, unless you are particularly good at it, or are a small player like UKIP relying on a big personality (Farage) to gain traction.
    Are we being a bit previous in condemning May for avoiding the Great British Public? I have no sense yet that this is necessarily happening more than usual, and we are in a phony war period until 11 May (nominations deadline).

And look what happened when that bigoted woman who'd voted Labour all her life got at Gordon during a supposed free-for-all: his reaction was "who let that woman in?" (Duffy, I have just remembered). These things are stage managed, by all parties, and that is all there is to it.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,096
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting PS to the first comment:

I agree that is a very likely outcome, and also why May wants such a big majority before it becomes obvious.

Not so much likely as damn near certain. If they're going to start blaming us for their own complete inability to negotiate sensible leases, still more charge us for that failure, then it's clear they don't want to actually talk about anything at all.
    If May walks away from negotiations, we'll still be in the EU until 2019 and will be watching the clock waiting to go over the cliff edge.

At some point she (or a new Prime Minister) will have to go back to the table.
    That will be difficult if the EU itself refuses to negotiate, which is what I am expecting. There's just too big a gap between what the government here can put forward and what they would be willing to even discuss.
    May's political bubble would burst very quickly if she walked away with 18 months still on the clock and nothing agreed. All indications are that the government does not have the capacity to prepare for such an outcome.
    Yes, very possibly true. But you're missing my point. I don't think she will have the option of walking away because I think from early indications the EU are getting ready to storm out first. Which as I have set out above is a position reckless to the point of insanity, so we probably shouldn't be surprised that Verhfostadt and Juncker are enthusiastically preparing for it.
    Fundamentally this sums up why we are having this election.

Verhfostadt/Juncker are playing brinkmanship because they believe that May can't survive a diamond hard Brexit: they are upping the ante.

But if May has a big enough majority then she can face them down - basically say "bring it on" and hope that they blink (which I believe they will). Macron would understand this as he is an excellent but not reckless negotiator.

Vote Tory to ensure we get the best possible terms... :wink:
    A diamond hard Brexit, i.e. WTO with no transition, would be catastrophic for the UK - possibly worse than 2008 and the blame squarely on May and the Tories shoulders. No Gordon Brown to blame. After this election, there will be no hiding place. She will be responsible.

The EU won't storm out. Why would they? All they need to do is sit patiently as the clock ticks down and watch TMay sweat.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Scott_P said:

There are no words...

@tompeck: @DPJHodges "If you're young, as so many are nowadays." He genuinely said that.

Maybe he was making a joke about how old he was? If so, its mildy amusing self deprecation
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

I have never seen her speak to the public, it is always staged events with stooges. Says it all.

There was a nice pic of Nicola in the papers last week, holding a young boy waving a Saltire.

"Education in Scotland is a disaster under the SNP, but it's OK, wee man, you can have a flag and selfie instead, eh?"
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

This doesn't quite match the Brexiteer rhetoric this morning

European Union leaders sense that Theresa May will surrender to their divorce demands rather than walk away in a “no deal” scenario leading to a disorderly Brexit.

EU officials and diplomats have received private assurances and noted that the prime minister has dropped a pledge, made in January, that “no deal is better than a bad deal for Britain”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/243fd502-2c41-11e7-ae85-aa7f1ff8d93b

It is exactly what the Brexiteers have said all along. The EU are fools and unless they relent in early negotiations we will be lead out by TM with the backing of the Nation. We will not be disrespected by anyone
    I get that you are an uber-loyal Tory, you loyally voted Remain when that's what Cameron wanted and you loyally back Brexit now it's what Mrs May wants.

No problem with that but please stop deluding yourself by saying things like "TM with the backing of the Nation" Yes she will win the election handsomely but 50% of the country will not have voted for and and the country is split right down the middle on Brexit and moving more against if anything.

I know many Tories think the country and the Tory party are synonymous but they really aren't
    Theresa May is the Mother of the Nation.
    Sean you missed out an important word starting with F that should have come after "mother"
    Figure?
    Not even close , starts with Fu and ends with er, so fairly easy to guess.
    And the first Godwin of the day goes to.....
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,189
    isam said:

isam said:

HaroldO said:

isam said:

Why risk anything when she is so far ahead? She might think that her people skills may hinder the Conservatives chances rather than help them

Sterile though, very sterile. Unless she starts to work her way into events with actual voters of course, then it may at least be something sensible.
    It seems that at a time of uncertainty, & when the alternative is wacky, sterile is a winner. You can tell its the right thing to do because all her critics want her to do something else.

It's a very effective way to fight a campaign against a dismal opponent. But May might be better off thinking about the longer term. She could be using this election to build a genuine rapport with voters, instead of avoiding them. At some stage the proper Brexit negotiations will begin and hard choices will be unavoidable. Banking goodwill for that moment might have been a wise strategy given that she is fighting an election that it is literally impossible for her to lose.

I kind of said this to HaroldO, but it seems to me that she isn't particularly suited to impromptu banter with the public, and meeting them may lose her goodwill rather than bank it. I don't really see how meeting the public in a forced environment really matters one way or the other really, unless you are particularly good at it, or are a small player like UKIP relying on a big personality (Farage) to gain traction.

She could be doing more interviews, genuine Q&As and proper stump speeches. And politicians really should be prepared to meet the public, however awkward they feel about it. Given she cannot lose, it just strikes me that May could be doing a lot more with this campaign to shore up goodwill for the very tricky years to come. If decent opposition does emerge, it will make the most of her failure to genuinely engage.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,557
    MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

not quite bright enough.

malcolmg said:

slavering sad Little Englander

malcolmg said:

big jessie huff

malcolmg said:

half witted cretin

malcolmg said:

vomiting some rabid bile

malcolmg said:

squad of cheating lying losers

malcolmg said:

moingrel whines and slavers shouting like a fishwife.

I enjoy Malcolm's insults.
    Sean, carlotta has no sense of humour , she is just a Tory CCHQ cypher with no experience of real life. She is the type who would be saying "let the poor eat cake", as she stuffed another lobster down her thrapple.
    But you have to admire her work ethic. Previously, she and Fitalass did different shifts. Now they are on sometimes together in the middle of the night making sure they dominate the drift of the posts. Working overtime in a tax heaven [ haven ? ].
    Hard to believe the hours she puts in , Fitalaff just does nights , but Carlotta emulates her hero Maggie by only taking a few hours sleep. Margaret Rutherford would be proud of her.
    Yup. Really admirable. A Tory junkie now on steroids.
    Worst thing is Scottish Tories are like those that give up smoking or find religion late in life, they have to try so hard to prove how good a Tory they are to their "lifelong Tory" pals down south. So they are twice as nasty to the poor etc and much more right wing and sneering etc.
    Twice as nasty to the poor? Do they eat twice as many babies in Scotland too? I should try and make it up to Edinburgh one day, sounds like I'm missing out.
    Max, they are pure evil, bring plenty of garlic when you came. You are definitely mising out if you have not been to Edinburgh though. Mind you east coasters are a bit odd , if Edinburgh could just have west coast population it would be paradise.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

John Stevens‏Verified account @johnestevens 3m3 minutes ago

Why's Jezza giving a speech in a seat with a 24,000 Labour majority? Parking his tanks on his own lawn

Labour HQ continuing to keep Jezza away from the front line.

There maybe a method in this madness. Keep him away from where he can do any real damage.

Is it really much differnet from May's campaigning. Empty factories, not meeting real people. Not even an outside crowd of largely own supporters. So why only blame Corbyn ?

In fact, UK politics have become like that. Major was the last one to actually meet the public [ I presume ].

What would we give to see a Cabinet / Shadow cabinet member give a right hook to a bothersome member of the public ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

it is frightening prospect that we are being led by the nose by the current bunch of absolute losers. These clowns will only do what is good for them , our futures are of little concern , it will be self interest all the way. They should at least come clean.

I thought you liked the SNP?
    I like independence, SNP are currently the only Scottish political party in Scotland so I have no option but to "like" them.
    Malc, didn't you once write you were actually a Tory ? Let me clarify, once Scotland is independent and people return to vote in their own ideological space, your likely vote will be Tory. Am I recalling incorrectly?
    I would say I am right leaning but would say a Tory with a heart , so centre right. If there was a real Scottish Tory party I may vote that way , unfortunately the ones that are running the party are a bunch of London sockpuppets only there to grease their own palms. Some really objectionable nasty oicks in their ranks. I also detest their sectarian leanings.
    You know Malc, I think that is why we get on well on this forum. I am appalled by the right and UKIP and why I believe Theresa May's move to the centre is proving popular. We also agree that the SNP has been good in general for Scotland but we do differ on the Union, maybe because my Scots family cherish the union and are not for Independence.

Have you finished your painting yet - think rain is in the forecast
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Totally off topic, but if you have a moment take a look at this map of European unemployment rates:

https://twitter.com/Ian56789/status/857631657507131393

It's extraordinary how so many borders, including internal and defunct ones, are mapped out by changes in workforce activity. You can still see the demarcation between East and West Germany, almost 30 years on from reunification; those between the Czech Republic and Slovakia, and between Flanders and Wallonia, are even more stark. Poland is now doing a lot better than France, by this measure. France, the Republic of Ireland and the northern half of Italy are all in middling territory; Spain, Portugal, southern Italy and Greece all still dreadful.

In terms of the broader picture, it doesn't constitute a clear separation between the speakers of Germanic languages on one side and everybody else on the other. But it isn't a million miles from it.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Why would that be polled?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    I also think that the SNP are suffering from not having Salmond front and centre. Whatever one thinks of him, he had gravitas and one could respect him. Nicola is a complete numpty and a lightweight. She comes across as a very bitter person and it makes her shrill.
  • Options
    Betting Post

Backed Vettel (Ladbrokes) for pole at 1.8.

Explanation etc will be in the blog, thought I'd flag it up now in case the price goes.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

isam said:

isam said:

HaroldO said:

isam said:

She could be doing more interviews, genuine Q&As and proper stump speeches. And politicians really should be prepared to meet the public, however awkward they feel about it. Given she cannot lose, it just strikes me that May could be doing a lot more with this campaign to shore up goodwill for the very tricky years to come. If decent opposition does emerge, it will make the most of her failure to genuinely engage.
    Perhaps. It doesn't really bother me, I think we hear quite enough from them, and the public meet and greets are so stage managed they barely count. The things that people want her to do are more for oppositions with nothing to lose. Feels a bit like an ex cricketer telling the current England captain to declare earlier from the comfort of the comm box!
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Copied the wrong one:

France: Presidential election (run-off), Ifop poll:

Macron (EM-*): 60% (-1)
    Le Pen (FN-ENF): 40% (-)

Interesting flowchart of where French voters go in round 2:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/858256198411456512
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

Twice as nasty to the poor? Do they eat twice as many babies in Scotland too? I should try and make it up to Edinburgh one day, sounds like I'm missing out.

@itvnews: '@NicolaSturgeon's constituency is a slum' - residents slam the First Minister of Scotland for being distracted wit… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/844350922297950208
    LOL , only Scott could come up with that , it has always been a slum since the Tories closed down all the industry and their Rachmann landlords ran the place down. UK Government would need to spend a fraction of the money they sink into London infrastructure to fix it, or perhaps Labour council that is responsible locally could actually spend some of the money on the area rather than on themselves and their buddies.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I also think that the SNP are suffering from not having Salmond front and centre.

He's been pretty much front & centre this week.....
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

CD13 said:

Dr P,

The EU will try to act like bullies because (1) they want the best deal they can get, (2) they think there's a possibility it might persuade the frit ones in the UK back down on leaving, and (3) because they want to dissuade any others from leaving.

How do think we should respond to this bullying? And do you think your thoughts are in tune with the British public?

They hold all the cards, it is UK that is peering in the window wishing it was inside. pay up and you can get in , seems very reasonable to me, pity Toris cannot bring themselves to tell the peasants the truth.
    Will be trouble ahead when the dopes realise the Tories have scammed them for another 5 years and then sold them down the river. Much weeping in petite Bretagne then I think.
    We wish we were inside so much that we've just chosen to leave. Explain that one again please?

And how do you reconcile that with your wishing to end the union with England?
    First one , big jessie huff and now reality looms and it is a case of "WTF have I done".

Second one is simple, we are in an unequal union and getting shafted , we should get out , how could anyone expect to get fairness when it is 88% to 12% , why would the 88% do things to suit the 12%, so we get the policies for teh 88% which don't suit us and have to suck it up.
    And the choice being offered is to be 12% vs 88% in the UK or 1% vs 99% in the EU. What option is there for those who want a properly independent Scotland?
    So you think Germany , France , Italy etc are not independent countries.
    Germany yes, France and Italy no. Scotland would be one tiny voice in 28 even more impotent than Blair's government which had the power of being the second largest economy in the EU. Scotland will be told to jump and Nicola would have to say "how high, master?". I support Scottish independence, but what's the point of replacing Westminster with Brussels? Bring it all home to Edinburgh.
    Independent countries?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/28/yanis-varoufakis-brexit-advice-theresa-may-avoid-negotiating/

Even with the sore-loser filter in, this is appalling. Copy and put it through every letterbox.

Hope No10 is sending copies of Varoufakis's book to all pols and diplomats involved.

Utter, utter bastards.

(((Dan Hodges)))‏Verified account @DPJHodges 1m1 minute ago
    Jeremy Corbyn currently talking about 1983 and sanctions on South Africa. And how he got arrested

Stop, oh stop! I can't breathe!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

MaxPB said:

I also think that the SNP are suffering from not having Salmond front and centre.

He's been pretty much front & centre this week.....
    Well, in a positive role anyway.
  • Options
    F1: pre-qualifying wibbling is up here, and a moderately interesting observation on how the race might play out in strategy terms:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/russia-pre-qualifying-2017.html
  • Options

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

not quite bright enough.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

big jessie huff

malcolmg said:

half witted cretin

malcolmg said:

vomiting some rabid bile

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sean, carlotta has no sense of humour , she is just a Tory CCHQ cypher with no experience of real life. She is the type who would be saying "let the poor eat cake", as she stuffed another lobster down her thrapple.
    But you have to admire her work ethic. Previously, she and Fitalass did different shifts. Now they are on sometimes together in the middle of the night making sure they dominate the drift of the posts. Working overtime in a tax heaven [ haven ? ].
    Just how does one put certain users on ignore?

Asking for a friend
    Never limit your access to information , you should not put on blinkers and stay in your own narrow viewpoint. Look at what I have to suffer on here yet I never ignore anyone's viewpoint.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

There are no words...

@tompeck: @DPJHodges "If you're young, as so many are nowadays." He genuinely said that.

Maybe he was making a joke about how old he was? If so, its mildy amusing self deprecation
    Actually, I think it was a nice thing to say. I am not sure what the criticism is about. For example, if an 80 year old said, "everyone is so young these days"; would that be stupid ?
  • Options

Copied the wrong one:

Oh no ! What will the CCHQ make of this ?
  • Options
    On this iPad, Vanilla now seems to be (rather than sending them on 'post comment') storing up all my draft posts and delivering them in a big lump, you lucky people.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

@itvnews: '@NicolaSturgeon's constituency is a slum' - residents slam the First Minister of Scotland for being distracted wit… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/844350922297950208
    Max , Scott proves my point re queer east coasters, we are discussing a visit to Edinburgh and the idiot is whining about Govan.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

There are no words...

Actually, I think it was a nice thing to say. I am not sure what the criticism is about. For example, if an 80 year old said, "everyone is so young these days"; would that be stupid ?
    Well I am agreeing! That's what I said!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,486
    Barnesian said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting PS to the first comment:

I agree that is a very likely outcome, and also why May wants such a big majority before it becomes obvious.

Not so much likely as damn near certain. If they're going to start blaming us for their own complete inability to negotiate sensible leases, still more charge us for that failure, then it's clear they don't want to actually talk about anything at all.
    If May walks away from negotiations, we'll still be in the EU until 2019 and will be watching the clock waiting to go over the cliff edge.

At some point she (or a new Prime Minister) will have to go back to the table.
    That will be difficult if the EU itself refuses to negotiate, which is what I am expecting. There's just too big a gap between what the government here can put forward and what they would be willing to even discuss.
    May's political bubble would burst very quickly if she walked away with 18 months still on the clock and nothing agreed. All indications are that the government does not have the capacity to prepare for such an outcome.
    Yes, very possibly true. But you're missing my point. I don't think she will have the option of walking away because I think from early indications the EU are getting ready to storm out first. Which as I have set out above is a position reckless to the point of insanity, so we probably shouldn't be surprised that Verhfostadt and Juncker are enthusiastically preparing for it.
    Fundamentally this sums up why we are having this election.

Verhfostadt/Juncker are playing brinkmanship because they believe that May can't survive a diamond hard Brexit: they are upping the ante.

But if May has a big enough majority then she can face them down - basically say "bring it on" and hope that they blink (which I believe they will). Macron would understand this as he is an excellent but not reckless negotiator.

Vote Tory to ensure we get the best possible terms... :wink:
    A diamond hard Brexit, i.e. WTO with no transition, would be catastrophic for the UK - possibly worse than 2008 and the blame squarely on May and the Tories shoulders. No Gordon Brown to blame. After this election, there will be no hiding place. She will be responsible.

The EU won't storm out. Why would they? All they need to do is sit patiently as the clock ticks down and watch TMay sweat.
    That's the same EU who thought that the referendum was certain to produce an In vote and so didn't think they need to negotiate with Cameron.

Have they learned from that mistake ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Copied the wrong one:

Very pleased - Macron is better all round than Le Pen - contrary to your belief most conservatives do not want the EU to fold
  • Options
    Thanks to AM for this and previous pieces.
  • Options

John Stevens‏Verified account @johnestevens 3m3 minutes ago

Why's Jezza giving a speech in a seat with a 24,000 Labour majority? Parking his tanks on his own lawn

Labour HQ continuing to keep Jezza away from the front line.

Parking his tanks on his own lawn - QOTD
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

HaroldO said:

isam said:

She is crap though, the emperor has no clothes
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018
    malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

not quite bright enough.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

big jessie huff

malcolmg said:

half witted cretin

malcolmg said:

vomiting some rabid bile

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Asking for a friend
    Never limit your access to information , you should not put on blinkers and stay in your own narrow viewpoint. Look at what I have to suffer on here yet I never ignore anyone's viewpoint.
    Indeed. And it has really improved your self awareness too, Malc!

:)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @paulwaugh: Labour voters now say they'll vote Tory to get rid of Jeremy Corbyn. Our exclusive focus group findings: https://t.co/5kKHsDT7KK
  • Options

surbiton said:

Copied the wrong one:

Very pleased - Macron is better all round than Le Pen - contrary to your belief most conservatives do not want the EU to fold
    Quite. Le Pen would be entertaining for all of five minutes then a complete nightmare for five years. But
    we're not supposed to think that as we're callous evil Tories who eat babies to give us more energy to grind down the poor. Or something.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

it is frightening prospect that we are being led by the nose by the current bunch of absolute losers. These clowns will only do what is good for them , our futures are of little concern , it will be self interest all the way. They should at least come clean.

I like independence, SNP are currently the only Scottish political party in Scotland so I have no option but to "like" them.
    Malc, didn't you once write you were actually a Tory ? Let me clarify, once Scotland is independent and people return to vote in their own ideological space, your likely vote will be Tory. Am I recalling incorrectly?
    I would say I am right leaning but would say a Tory with a heart , so centre right. If there was a real Scottish Tory party I may vote that way , unfortunately the ones that are running the party are a bunch of London sockpuppets only there to grease their own palms. Some really objectionable nasty oicks in their ranks. I also detest their sectarian leanings.
    You know Malc, I think that is why we get on well on this forum. I am appalled by the right and UKIP and why I believe Theresa May's move to the centre is proving popular. We also agree that the SNP has been good in general for Scotland but we do differ on the Union, maybe because my Scots family cherish the union and are not for Independence.

Hello G, Rain was pelting down so not even started, drying up now but not sure it is a day to have the doors open for 3 or 4 hours.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

not quite bright enough.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

big jessie huff

malcolmg said:

half witted cretin

malcolmg said:

vomiting some rabid bile

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Asking for a friend
    Indeed. And it has really improved your self awareness too, Malc!

:)
    :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Hello G, Rain was pelting down so not even started, drying up now but not sure it is a day to have the doors open for 3 or 4 hours.
    Good excuse for you to continue contributing to this forum in your interesting way
  • Options
    In the 'dodgy Y axis' stakes we have a new leader (Lib Dem, naturally):

https://twitter.com/rupertevelyn/status/858267085461442560
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: Labour voters now say they'll vote Tory to get rid of Jeremy Corbyn. Our exclusive focus group findings: https://t.co/5kKHsDT7KK

What if he doesn't go ?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Good excuse for you to continue contributing to this forum in your interesting way
    G , you will have people throwing tomatoes at you for that
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Copied the wrong one:

To be fair to May, she has consistently (and correctly) said that a strong EU is in the UK's best interests. She will definitely want Macron to win. It's the cod-Churchillian, swivel-eyed Leavers that fantasise about Le Pen and the destruction of the EU.

• Options

Copied the wrong one:

Also, this:

Le Pen (FN-ENF): 41% (+4)
  • Options

surbiton said:

Copied the wrong one:

You got the wrong end of the stick. The comment was about Carlotta working for CCHQ [ running joke between Malc and myself ] and her "mistake" in putting up Fillon numbers.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    ydoethur said:
    I have to hi light one of the lengthy comments from the article - after lol-ing at the Jesus was only denied 3 times but look at the last sentence.

Patrick Bonner enigmajx • 4 days ago
    You are all wallowing in your own ignominy, full of pessimistic defeatism, again and again creating and continuing to create more and more of the conditions that will lead, inevitably to the demise of the Labour Party. Then, wonder upon wonder, you want to blame it on somebody else. Lukewarm boy, our wonderful debate leader, has no stomach for a fight , like his mentors he wants to throw in the towel.

The quilings are thinking: "Why bother with socialism the powers that be will only hammer you for it. They have the press, the mass media, the schools and universities churn out people devoted to their ideology, and to go against that is to leave yourself open to the same ridicule that befell Corbyn. Who does Corbyn think he is anyway. People are happy with austerity, destruction of our basic industries, poorer health service, shortage of housing, teacherless classes, etc. We should just go along with it. They might let us back into government if we offer them Corbyn's head and say we're sorry, we got it wrong."

7 times we can deny JC ( Peter only denied JC three times) but like the other JC he is being offered up for crucifixion to appease the rulers but unlike the other JC Corbyn is going nowhere, the Labour Party will survive, we will fight till June 8 and then we'll sort out who and how we are going to consolidate our party, fighting the Tories every step of the way, clearing out the definitive traitors and sorting out , via a democratic process, what our party stands for and how we are going to put it into government.

A process like this was inevitable the moment our JC was elected by a landslide. All the Oxbridge MPs are seeing their future to glorious life service in Parliament thrown into jeopardy. They only got there because Kinnock Blair and Co vetted out any opposition like Corbyn and McDonnell, and they and their entourage still provide a vetting service at every level within the party. With the party leadership under control , lack of inspiration among the rank and file left the doors wide open for more respectable people than workers to populate the party. But then came Corbyn showing the true party allegiance and the desires of working people.

Now we're here we're going nowhere and neither is Corbyn. Anyone who is known to jeopardise our election campaign, Mr Blair, will be dealt with appropriately.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,978

OllyT said:

Scott_P said:

This doesn't quite match the Brexiteer rhetoric this morning

European Union leaders sense that Theresa May will surrender to their divorce demands rather than walk away in a “no deal” scenario leading to a disorderly Brexit.

EU officials and diplomats have received private assurances and noted that the prime minister has dropped a pledge, made in January, that “no deal is better than a bad deal for Britain”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/243fd502-2c41-11e7-ae85-aa7f1ff8d93b

It is exactly what the Brexiteers have said all along. The EU are fools and unless they relent in early negotiations we will be lead out by TM with the backing of the Nation. We will not be disrespected by anyone
    I get that you are an uber-loyal Tory, you loyally voted Remain when that's what Cameron wanted and you loyally back Brexit now it's what Mrs May wants.

No problem with that but please stop deluding yourself by saying things like "TM with the backing of the Nation" Yes she will win the election handsomely but 50% of the country will not have voted for and and the country is split right down the middle on Brexit and moving more against if anything.

I know many Tories think the country and the Tory party are synonymous but they really aren't
    In the context of this mornings report that TM will capitulate to the EU demands this Country will swing behind TM in big numbers. It is to be hoped that the EU will be more friendly otherwise the EU and the UK will be on a collision course - the suggestion that the UK will capitulate was the language that causes the anger
    We can all agree that May wants a big majority - whether she wants it so she can get away with "capitulating" to the EU or to survive walking into the "No Deal" abyss is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,127
    Barnesian said:

Both sides are letting the clock run out. As the smaller party and the one that is leaving and whose situation will be radically altered by Brexit the consequences will be much more severe for us.

Thinking about it, I could imagine the EU agreeing a temporary extension agreement of a year or so without finalising payment or any new arrangements. There would be little downside for them. Time is on their side and not on ours.
  • Options

That is a weak bar chart. A chaotic bar chart.

Only a Conservative Government led by Theresa May can deliver strong and stable bar charts in the national interest.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,417
    Scott_P said:

The dreamings of Corbyn cultists are about to meet real voters. What a wipeout Labour are facing.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

What if he doesn't go ?

Looking at the runes, Corbyn has tried and failed to get his people standing in seats where Labour has a chance of holding on, while Len's hard left majority in Unite has all but disappeared following the recent elections. Corbyn will definitely try to stay on, but he will also definitely be challenged. I suspect it is becoming more likely every day that he will lose. If he does hold on, though, Labour will almost certainly split: moderate MPs just returned for five more years will have absolutely nothing to gain by staying.

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

What if he doesn't go ?
    Then Labour will go.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    FF43 said:

Barnesian said:

Both sides are letting the clock run out. As the smaller party and the one that is leaving and whose situation will be radically altered by Brexit the consequences will be much more severe for us.

Thinking about it, I could imagine the EU agreeing a temporary extension agreement of a year or so without finalising payment or any new arrangements. There would be little downside for them. Time is on their side and not on ours.

You are wronger than a wrong person in wrongland on wrongday.

But keep posting that nonsense if it keeps you happy.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

This place would be very different if you decided to go on holiday until after the GE and not for the better. I have always enjoyed winding people up and my wife gave me the biggest wooden spoon you have ever seen for my retirement present

Mind you we are going to our son and daughter in laws in Vancouver from the 10th to the 24th May so will view the battle from afar
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,404
    edited April 2017
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

isam said:

HaroldO said:

isam said:

Malcolm, I'm really quite worried. It's nearly noon, you've been commenting for three hours and not one person has been called a turnip yet. Has the rain led to a sad disaster with the Ayrshire turnip crop or have you had to throw so many at the now apparently numerous Scottish Tories that you have none left?

Incidentally on your rather brilliant 'mother' comment, this is my favourite ever moment on Have I Got News for You:

https://youtu.be/pJ_cNK77lPY

Edited for the wrong link going in!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I didn't realise we were in the EU until we left it, says one voter.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Copied the wrong one:

To be fair to May, she has consistently (and correctly) said that a strong EU is in the UK's best interests. She will definitely want Macron to win. It's the cod-Churchillian, swivel-eyed Leavers that fantasise about Le Pen and the destruction of the EU.
    And he's the only candidate May has met in Downing Street......
  • Options

May is a serial abuser of the democratic process.
    ELECTIVE dictatorship is an ever present danger in Westminster’s antiquated system of government, where the Prime Minister still exercises the pre-democratic powers of monarchy. The Fixed-term Parliament Act of 2011 (FTPA) was one attempt to modernise our system by denying political leaders the undemocratic right to call an election at a moment of their own choosing: ie whenever the opposition party was weakest.
    David Cameron enacted the FTPA, which is the norm in most democratic countries, and Theresa May voted for it in 2011. So much for all that. She wasn’t going to let the law get in the way of exploiting Labour’s internal divisions to win a quick and dirty 100-seat majority. Labour went along with her coup, as Nicola Sturgeon pointed out, with all the enthusiasm of turkeys voting for an early Christmas.
    There really is no justification for this snap election. Theresa May said repeatedly that Britain needed “a period of stability” following Brexit, and she was right. The world needs a period of stability following Donald Trump, Syria and heightened international tensions in South East Asia. Voters have no idea of what kind of EU relationship they’re voting for – and neither does the Government Theresa May is a serial abuser of the democratic process.
    https://iainmacwhirter.wordpress.com/2017/04/29/may-is-a-serial-abuser-of-the-democratic-process/
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Copied the wrong one:

You got the wrong end of the stick. The comment was about Carlotta working for CCHQ [ running joke between Malc and myself ] and her "mistake" in putting up Fillon numbers.
    Sorry but I didn't get the nuance of your statement then
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411

Copied the wrong one:

Also, this:

Le Pen (FN-ENF): 41% (+4)
    It's striking that so few of Melenchon's supporters transfer to Macron. And, notable that Le Pen is a good deal more transfer-friendly now. I wonder if those patterns will hold up in the National Assembly elections.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,765
    edited April 2017
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Want an outside chance of a Tory gain in Scotland? I give you Ayr, Carrick and Cumnock. Odds available aren't great but it's an interesting one if Labour's vote collapses.
    Or be brave and try Argyll and bute

Soth Ayr maybe but hard to see the other areas being Tory given what they did to them. I doubt you would find a Tory in Cumnock unless it was the village idiot.
    It's a long shot to be sure. The old Ayr consituncey was a Tory bastion until the early 90s under George Younger and whilst the town will certainly vote tory, there will not be enough support in the former mining villages of the hinterlands. Some of the former prodestant labour support will have transferred to the Tories, but not enough.

2022 maybe.
    Yes , apart from Alloway the area has gone to the dogs. South Ayrshire which is Tory run has teh worst roads you will find anywhere. As you say the rest has been wrecked by Tory policies and will take a long long time to ever forget it.
    Have any of the SCon fanbois on here confirmed if TRuthy has ordered South Ayrshire Council to drop the disgraceful, oppressive, much-hated Named Child scheme? Pretty sure that would come under the definition of her getting on with the day job.
  • Options
    Slough: available at 8 to 11 for Cons on BF sportsbook. I've taken a nibble.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

This place would be very different if you decided to go on holiday until after the GE and not for the better. I have always enjoyed winding people up and my wife gave me the biggest wooden spoon you have ever seen for my retirement present

Mind you we are going to our son and daughter in laws in Vancouver from the 10th to the 24th May so will view the battle from afar
    G, sounds excellent, hope you have a super holiday and be great for you to see your son.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    malcolmg said:

ELECTIVE dictatorship is an ever present danger in Westminster’s antiquated system of government, where the Prime Minister still exercises the pre-democratic powers of monarchy. The Fixed-term Parliament Act of 2011 (FTPA) was one attempt to modernise our system by denying political leaders the undemocratic right to call an election at a moment of their own choosing: ie whenever the opposition party was weakest.
    David Cameron enacted the FTPA, which is the norm in most democratic countries, and Theresa May voted for it in 2011. So much for all that. She wasn’t going to let the law get in the way of exploiting Labour’s internal divisions to win a quick and dirty 100-seat majority. Labour went along with her coup, as Nicola Sturgeon pointed out, with all the enthusiasm of turkeys voting for an early Christmas.
    There really is no justification for this snap election. Theresa May said repeatedly that Britain needed “a period of stability” following Brexit, and she was right. The world needs a period of stability following Donald Trump, Syria and heightened international tensions in South East Asia. Voters have no idea of what kind of EU relationship they’re voting for – and neither does the Government Theresa May is a serial abuser of the democratic process.
    https://iainmacwhirter.wordpress.com/2017/04/29/may-is-a-serial-abuser-of-the-democratic-process/

What a strange article. May is adhering to the democratic process.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,287

Must be a logarithmic scale.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

What if he doesn't go ?
    Then Labour will go.
    Indeed. The real fun starts 9th June. Make sure you keep some popcorn in reserve folks!!
  • Options

That is a weak bar chart. A chaotic bar chart.

Only a Conservative Government led by Theresa May can deliver strong and stable bar charts in the national interest.
    :lol:
  • Options
    Floater said:

I have to hi light one of the lengthy comments from the article - after lol-ing at the Jesus was only denied 3 times but look at the last sentence...
    Now we're here we're going nowhere and neither is Corbyn. Anyone who is known to jeopardise our election campaign, Mr Blair, will be dealt with appropriately.

I hadn't actually read the comments. Labourlist tends to be where the fruitcakes hang out. It reminds me of the bad old days of Betsan Powys' blog in Wales. However, incitement to murder is a bit of an odd one even by their appalling standards.

I did think a few weeks ago, when somebody said Corbyn 'comes alive when he meets his followers' of suggesting a parallel with another JC. But I decided he is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy. So I didn't.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

isam said:

HaroldO said:

isam said:

Malcolm, I'm really quite worried. It's nearly noon, you've been commenting for three hours and not one person has been called a turnip yet. Has the rain led to a sad disaster with the Ayrshire turnip crop or have you had to throw so many at the now apparently numerous Scottish Tories that you have none left?

Incidentally on your rather brilliant 'mother' comment, this is my favourite ever moment on Have I Got News for You:

https://youtu.be/pJ_cNK77lPY

Edited for the wrong link going in!
    ydoethur, turnips are out of season at the minute, be plenty about later in the year.
  • Options
    Some people did foresee that mass immigration would lead to civil strife a few years down the line

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/857864200856584192
  • Options
    One of the HuffPo focus group did not know we were in the EU until the referendum happened.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    O?T but happy news worth sharing:

UK book sales hit a record £3.5 billion last year, led by a rise of 16% for sales of children's books!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39718016
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

Dodgy election to save her skin once the chickens come home to roost. She landed lucky to be up against Corbyn for sure.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

The number of people tying themselves in knots over how 'asking the voters' is 'anti-democratic' is impressive. People one suspects who fear the voters will give the 'wrong' answer.....
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,058
    edited April 2017
    malcolmg said:

How having a general election is a serial abuser of the democratic process. Seems it is inconvenient for the SNP but it is absolutely the democratic process
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

What if he doesn't go ?
    Then Labour will go.
    I think they're already gone. It's just a question of arranging the funeral.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Diving the pension triple lock is to be applauded.

It may also be a brilliant political move as well.
  • Options
    More union officials selected for seats by Labour. Has anyone yet been selected who isn't a union official?

http://labourlist.org/2017/04/nurse-emerges-as-pick-of-union-backed-candidates-to-win-nomination-for-key-midlands-seat/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur, turnips are out of season at the minute, be plenty about later in the year.

Is that a suggestion that there might be up to 400 if the polls are right? :wink:
  • Options
    Tories showing their true colours again, they have unleashed the nasties.
    https://twitter.com/malinheenallan/status/858237707331481600
  • Options

malcolmg said:

How having a general election is a serial abuser of the democratic process. Seems it is inconvenient for the SNP but it is absolutely the democratic process
    G, why did they pretend it should be fixed term and put stupid laws in place, knowing that first sign of opportunity to game the system they were going to cheat.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,422
    malcolmg said:

One, Malcolm, of your better posts.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

G, why did they pretend it should be fixed term and put stupid laws in place, knowing that first sign of opportunity to game the system they were going to cheat.
    they couldn't have got the amendment through to hold the election without Labour - could they!
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Diving the pension triple lock is to be applauded.

It may also be a brilliant political move as well.

Or maybe not, an awful lot of people only have that pittance to survive on. Shameful that we have the worst pension in the civilised world.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

It's not cheating to have an election that the overwhelming majority of Parliament voted for.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Is that a suggestion that there might be up to 400 if the polls are right? :wink:
    LOL, all of Scotland will be inhabited by turnips if that happens
  • Options
    nunu said:
    I think he might well be correct and my former constituency will turn Tory. Hard to believe, but Bish is so far from Islington that lifelong Labour voters will probably shrug their shoulders, shake their heads and stay at home.
  • Options

More union officials selected for seats by Labour. Has anyone yet been selected who isn't a union official?

http://labourlist.org/2017/04/nurse-emerges-as-pick-of-union-backed-candidates-to-win-nomination-for-key-midlands-seat/

They have saved some for family members
  • Options

Labour is retreating evermore into its comfort zone.

But I doubt the average voter shares Labour's admiration of public sector union officials.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

The number of people tying themselves in knots over how 'asking the voters' is 'anti-democratic' is impressive. People one suspects who fear the voters will give the 'wrong' answer.....
    Now the voice of doom has fully endorsed it we know for sure it is a nasty Tory scam.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

LOL, all of Scotland will be inhabited by turnips if that happens
    Be good for the world panda population though!
  • Options
    Hills go 1/10 the Tories in Boston and Skegness, PP, BF and Fred are 16s UKIP...
  • Options
    Mr. G, the Rhubarb Triangle will never surrender to Turnip Tyranny!
  • Options

Yes - there is the wife of the chair of the PLP!
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

surbiton said:

I disagree with Alastair's proposition that the Conservative surge is not taking place in Glasgow.

A rising tide lifts all boats ! Even those moored on the Clyde. It may not do much for Tory MP numbers. I do not know what's happening in Cathcart. But they lost that in 1979.

The Tories will certainly be helped by the surge, no doubt. But this idea that the surge will happen in exactly where they would like it to be is fanciful.

Well, if there was PR........

There's certainly a Unionist vote in Glasgow, one which the Kippertories have courted assiduously all the way to the outer reaches of loony Loyalism. Whether it'll amount to an electoral hill of beans is another matter. The locals next week should be a pretty good indicator.
    The sight of SCON MSPs (not Ruth TBF) - cosying up to the WATP crew - is both perplexing and laughable in equal measure !!
This discussion has been closed.