Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Caught in the backwash. The SNP subsides and the Conservatives

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,033
    saddened said:

Can somebody explain something to me? If free movement of labour is such a massive benefit. Why doesn't the EU want to punish us by removing it from us?

They want us to be the employer of last resort, for unemployed Europeans.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,714
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Aberdeen makes sense, Aberdeen South and WAK are both top targets.

If the Tories don't take WAK it will have been an extremely disappointing night for them in Scotland once again. I think it is pretty nailed on.

Aberdeen is a very unhappy place these days on the back of the oil crash. The difference in Union Street is palpable with a good number of the best restaurants (and Jamie Oliver) gone. 3 years ago when I was staying there overnight for a Court case getting change out of £150 a night was difficult. Recently I got an aparthotel in the centre for £80. Speaking to locals the perception seems to be that the SNP are far more interested in the central belt than them (this is a recurring theme throughout the north east) and have done too little to help. It would not surprise me if Aberdeen South is in play.
    The combination of the oil price crash and the fisheries in the NE of Scotland is the best place to look for anti SNP swings.

I am not at all sure there is much value left though, and that seems to be Mr Meeks conclusion too.
    I agree. Such value as there is is probably identifying where the Tories are likely to fall short (like Perth) and betting accordingly, a bit like Labour seats in England.
    Hooray, thank you for steering us back to topic!

Out of curiosity, why do you think the Tories will fall short in Perth?
    See my comments at 7.13. It is a constituency I know fairly well.
    Had missed that. Thanks.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266

AndyJS said:
    Fascinating!

The most 'British' place is in Oldham - where 43% were born outside the UK.

The least 'British' place is in Dundee - where only 4% were born outside the UK, but it is strongly SNP with "education and economic indicators significantly below average"
    "British" equals xenophibic right wing fascists perhaps, hence why they are rare north of the border
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,331

Dr. Foxinsox, I thought hipster chic was all about being a pretentious twit.

But there we are. I'm just a grizzled morris dancer from Yorkshire who finds the concept of a shop selling sticks, within walking distance of a park, bloody ridiculous.

I don't see why: it's in the grand tradition of selling fools over-priced goods and services. In fact, it's a very Conservative thing to do.

Witness Apple ... ;)
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Sean_F said:

WilliamGlenn has competition in the optimism stakes:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/858216126442065921

I don't think Labour will lose every seat.
    MattBrookes‏ @MattBrookes3 7m7 minutes ago
    Replying to @DPJHodges
    Corbyn: "Labour will never again do what Blair did."

That'll be 'win an election' then.
    There have only been three Labour leaders to win a GE since the war, and he hates one third of them.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2017
    saddened said:

Can somebody explain something to me? If free movement of labour is such a massive benefit. Why doesn't the EU want to punish us by removing it from us?

They are committed to 'no cherry picking'. We have willingly ceded the right of freedom to move. They clearly don't see that as a 'cherry'.
  • Options
    It appears someone has woken up and wants some attention...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Mr. Jim, I wear a baseball cap very often.

However, I'm bald and have glasses, so the peak keeps the rain off my spectacles, in the cold helps to keep my head warm and on sunny days stops it getting burnt.

Mr. Jessop, clearly, pricing my books reasonably was an error on my part :p
  • Options

Dr. Foxinsox, I thought hipster chic was all about being a pretentious twit.

But there we are. I'm just a grizzled morris dancer from Yorkshire who finds the concept of a shop selling sticks, within walking distance of a park, bloody ridiculous.

I don't see why: it's in the grand tradition of selling fools over-priced goods and services. In fact, it's a very Conservative thing to do.

Witness Apple ... ;)
    Not to mention selling people cat excrement and weasel vomit as expensive coffee.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Fat_Steve said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting PS to the first comment:

"PS – there won’t be any long-winded negotiations. You’re an idiot if you think so. We will be out in far less than 2 years, certainly before the next EU elections. May will make a couple of attempts at negotiating, announce it’s pointless due to EU intransigence and we will simply walk away."

I agree that is a very likely outcome, and also why May wants such a big majority before it becomes obvious.

Not so much likely as damn near certain. If they're going to start blaming us for their own complete inability to negotiate sensible leases, still more charge us for that failure, then it's clear they don't want to actually talk about anything at all.

There seem to be big risks in that approach to me. If we leave, and it makes little or no difference to our economy despite the threats, it seems likely other nations will quickly follow. If we leave and it causes a financial crash, the contagion could bring down Deutsche Bank and all bets on the euro's survival are off.

They are gambling that there will be a punishment severe enough to discourage others, yet not bad enough to destroy them. A very narrow window. But there, they seem so blinded by their obsessive love for their creation and hatred of those 52% who rejected their project that it hasn't occurred to them that they are risking everything to make a wholly unnecessary point.
    I don't particularly want another Brexit thread, but the EU is right that Brexit is punishment enough. They are simply agreeing that Brexit means Brexit, and accepting of the referendum result.

Britain will survive, but it will change the country, quite possibly break it up. Britain will look more like Jaywick and less like Brighton, but that is a feature not a bug.

Swings and roundabouts. I don;t want to be more like Jaywick, but less like Brighton is fine by me. There's only so much vegan carrot cake a man can eat.
    I am quite partial to carrot cake, but Leavers would be well advised to adopt the lifestyle of Remainers in terms of diet and exercise. Vegetarianism and hipster bikes keep you healthy.
    An 80 year old man goes to the doctor and asks if he'll live to 100.

The doctor asks: "do you ever drink?", and the man says "no".

"Do you ever smoke?" -- "No".

"Do you ever have sex?" -- "Doctor, of course not!"

And the doctor asks "then why on earth do you want to live to 100?"
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited April 2017
    This is brutal. SNP trailing on every major policy area

https://twitter.com/rhamiltonmsp/status/858204175766880256
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

A Scottish Tory Surge thread? Am I in heaven??

More like fantasy land
    The votes of the people who voted against independence will go somewhere.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,922
    malcolmg said:

The Tories just cannot help from cheating
    Ruth Davidson caught breaking parliamentary rules to promote the Tory party
    http://www.thenational.scot/news/15253772.Ruth_Davidson_caught_breaking_parliamentary_rules_to_promote_the_Tory_party/

The Nat onal! Is it still there?

Bless

Circulation below 8,500.......
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    In the first 2015 version of SMAPS I produced the SNP actually lost Banff & Buchan
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I doubt they read the Scottish Daily Mail in Bute House anyway....

https://twitter.com/AgentP22/status/858077448235352065

Nobody in Scotland reads that , toilet paper or fish wrapping only

The National saw an annual fall in print sales of more than 30% to 8,500 average daily circulation in July to December.

Its digital subscriptions fell even more steeply, to below 2,000.

Only one other UK "regional" paper - in Wigan - reported a bigger fall in sales.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-39076470

The Courier & Aberdeen Press & Journal between them sell more than ten times as many.....
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Sean_F said:

saddened said:

No remainers with a serious answer?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Off topic, but I hope the BBC have learned from CNN's election coverage in 2016. We want more maps/numbers than talking heads.

Can you really imagine the BBC providing maps and numbers when all they will do will be to emphasise the magnitude of the Conservative lead? At least talking heads can say any drivel - and only the extreme right ones will be interrupted. <\sarc>

Maybe they'll start of news reports on the election with some other word than 'Labour'.

One thing - they're going to find QT audiences harder to fill up.
  • Options
    As we don't hear much about Wales on here I thought I would post some random Welsh political stories;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39706499

The above is a large project that has been mooted for a while but has always, always been in trouble. Mainly this is because it is being run (at the governments end) by morons, because as with all large projects in Wales that involve the government it is all done by a closed group of mainly men that all know each other.
    It needs breaking up if Wales is to develop, the Tories may be the one to do it...but...they are hardly an open minded group themselves. If Labour are neutered then it has to lead to a more open and commercially minded government, not another group of backslappers.
  • Options

Fat_Steve said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting PS to the first comment:

"PS – there won’t be any long-winded negotiations. You’re an idiot if you think so. We will be out in far less than 2 years, certainly before the next EU elections. May will make a couple of attempts at negotiating, announce it’s pointless due to EU intransigence and we will simply walk away."

I agree that is a very likely outcome, and also why May wants such a big majority before it becomes obvious.

Not so much likely as damn near certain. If they're going to start blaming us for their own complete inability to negotiate sensible leases, still more charge us for that failure, then it's clear they don't want to actually talk about anything at all.

There seem to be big risks in that approach to me. If we leave, and it makes little or no difference to our economy despite the threats, it seems likely other nations will quickly follow. If we leave and it causes a financial crash, the contagion could bring down Deutsche Bank and all bets on the euro's survival are off.

They are gambling that there will be a punishment severe enough to discourage others, yet not bad enough to destroy them. A very narrow window. But there, they seem so blinded by their obsessive love for their creation and hatred of those 52% who rejected their project that it hasn't occurred to them that they are risking everything to make a wholly unnecessary point.
    I don't particularly want another Brexit thread, but the EU is right that Brexit is punishment enough. They are simply agreeing that Brexit means Brexit, and accepting of the referendum result.

Britain will survive, but it will change the country, quite possibly break it up. Britain will look more like Jaywick and less like Brighton, but that is a feature not a bug.

Swings and roundabouts. I don;t want to be more like Jaywick, but less like Brighton is fine by me. There's only so much vegan carrot cake a man can eat.
    I am quite partial to carrot cake, but Leavers would be well advised to adopt the lifestyle of Remainers in terms of diet and exercise. Vegetarianism and hipster bikes keep you healthy.

Teetotallers don't live longer. It just feels longer.....

(Grain of truth - moderate drinkers live longest of all)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Malcy is a bit sniffy this morning.. the prospect of losing all those seats. Don't choke on your cornflakes Malc.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

http://www.thenational.scot/news/15253772.Ruth_Davidson_caught_breaking_parliamentary_rules_to_promote_the_Tory_party/

Bless

At least it has a connection with Scotland, not trumpeting from tax exile
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Nicola Sturgeon is a bit of a turnip.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

AndyJS said:
    Fascinating!

The most 'British' place is in Oldham - where 43% were born outside the UK.

The least 'British' place is in Dundee - where only 4% were born outside the UK, but it is strongly SNP with "education and economic indicators significantly below average"
    "British" equals xenophibic right wing fascists
    with 43% of them born outside the UK? Mind you, the Dundee SNP crowd did have education... indicators significantly below average"
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Bless

At least it has a connection with Scotland, not trumpeting from tax exile
    Well the homeless of Edinburgh need something to sleep under.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Scott_P said:

It will be interesting to see the regional breakdown of yesterday's GDP figures.
  • Options

Malcy is a bit sniffy this morning.. the prospect of losing all those seats. Don't choke on your cornflakes Malc.

Square Root, you are surely not suggesting that a good Scotsman like Malcolm eats American rubbish like cornflakes rather than proper food like porage?
  • Options
    F1: just under an hour and a half until third and final practice.

The season so far has been immensely tightly balanced, and a key strength for Mercedes has been dominance in qualifying. Looking like that might be under threat (I wonder if that's due to the ban on oil-burning?). If so, Vettel perhaps should be favourite for the title.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

malcolmg said:

I doubt they read the Scottish Daily Mail in Bute House anyway....

https://twitter.com/AgentP22/status/858077448235352065

Nobody in Scotland reads that , toilet paper or fish wrapping only

The National saw an annual fall in print sales of more than 30% to 8,500 average daily circulation in July to December.

Its digital subscriptions fell even more steeply, to below 2,000.

Only one other UK "regional" paper - in Wigan - reported a bigger fall in sales.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-39076470

The Courier & Aberdeen Press & Journal between them sell more than ten times as many.....
    Who cares, I note you do your Tory thing by ignoring the story and vomiting some rabid bile about Scotland. Go stir your cauldron or count how much tax you have avoided will make you happier , you appear to lead a sad negative life , spending most of your days on hatred. Enjoy life , get over your disappointment of having to leave Scotland because you could not hack it.
  • Options

Teetotallers don't live longer. It just feels longer.....

(Grain of truth - moderate drinkers live longest of all)
    There's a Soviet joke on those lines. The questions are asked by the Party Secretary if an applicant will give up all those things for the Party. The punchline is, 'would you give up your life for the Party?' And the reply is: 'Of course. Who needs such a life?'
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,898
    Interesting summary. The Conservatives will do well where they are the main challenger to the SNP. It gets complicated where there is more than one Unionist challenger in play. The Holyrood election showed Unionist tactical voting can be powerful, but it depends on voters' perceptions of who the best placed challenger is. If there's a confusion about it, the SNP will squeeze through by default. I would expect Labour to go through in Edinburgh South and have a very good chance of doing so in East Lothian. It might be one of the only seats Labour could actually gain in this election. Bear in mind the Labour collapse largely already happened by the previous elections.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Morning Malc - hope you have a good day - politics in Scotland has become very interesting and I am making no predictions other than Nicola finds herself in the fight of her life in this GE
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

RobD said:

Off topic, but I hope the BBC have learned from CNN's election coverage in 2016. We want more maps/numbers than talking heads.

Can you really imagine the BBC providing maps and numbers when all they will do will be to emphasise the magnitude of the Conservative lead? At least talking heads can say any drivel - and only the extreme right ones will be interrupted. <\sarc>

Maybe they'll start of news reports on the election with some other word than 'Labour'.

One thing - they're going to find QT audiences harder to fill up.
    BBC election coverage is chaired by a Tory, so if he does cut off those on the right, maybe it is because he is a professional not a partisan. More likely it is your own prejudices that blind you to his doing the same to the lefties and centrists.

The problem with the BBC's election coverage is that it has been dumbed down to appeal to people who are probably asleep in bed anyway. The information is there but disguised by clowning and video-game graphics. It will also seem slow because the BBC waits for official results whereas rivals do not (and if they have to correct one or two seats later on, who cares? They got the other 648 right and a lot faster than the BBC).
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

As we don't hear much about Wales on here I thought I would post some random Welsh political stories;

The above is a large project that has been mooted for a while but has always, always been in trouble. Mainly this is because it is being run (at the governments end) by morons, because as with all large projects in Wales that involve the government it is all done by a closed group of mainly men that all know each other.
    It needs breaking up if Wales is to develop, the Tories may be the one to do it...but...they are hardly an open minded group themselves. If Labour are neutered then it has to lead to a more open and commercially minded government, not another group of backslappers.

From your description, I knew what that link would be about before I even clicked on it. ;)

England (or London) can be just as bad. Thankfully the Garden Bridge has now been scrapped:
    https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/apr/28/garden-bridge-dead-38m-public-money-repaid-boris-johnson

I hope *everyone* involved with this mess get to pay back the pubic's money. The project was clearly borken from the start.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

No wonder Sturgeon's ratings have tanked by over 50 points!
  • Options
    Mr. L, the stupid graphics are utterly insane. Having Ming Campbell as a rapper or Jeremy Vine pretending to be a cowboy at 2am or 3am is demented. Any casually interested person will have been asleep for hours, those awake will, by definition, be really into politics and wanting some actual analysis rather than idiotic gimmickry.

Just one more reason PB is the place to be on election night.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

According to Electoral Calculus Pete Wishart is going to hold on in Perth and North Perthshire by 0.3%. I did some canvassing in that seat in 2015. We had quite a strong local candidate, Alex Stewart, who was a popular and hard working councillor in Perth. He is now an MSP. The Tory vote went up but not by nearly as much as Wishart's did and he got just over 50% of the vote.

I would really like the Tories to be very close or even take this seat and I will be spending time there again myself but it seems remarkable to me that it is thought to be in play at all. I have met Ian Duncan, the MEP who is the candidate this time around. He is very bright, articulate and personable but frankly nowhere nearly as well known in the Constituency as Alex was.

Alastair may be right in that this may be another wave election where the quality of the candidate doesn't really matter that much. I am not sure in a General Election, as opposed to a bye election, how important the candidate is anyway these days. Political campaigning seems to be ever more a series of photo-ops by the leaders and I really wonder how much good leaflets etc at local level do. That said, even though I find him irritating Wishart seems pretty popular and he is a lot more high profile than most of the 56 the SNP originally sent to Westminster.

If I was betting on this seat it would be on the SNP. But I couldn't bring myself to do that.

David, if only there were more decent Tories like yourself about , they may actually make some inroads. The stables need a good clear out before that will happen though. Must be the Scottish pysche but Scottish Tories seem to have to be even nastier to prove how Tory they are, especially those who could not hack it in Scotland and slunk away to whine from afar.
  • Options

Mr. G, can imagine you drawing a political map - "Here there be Tories" :p

MD , I sure can
  • Options
    This doesn't quite match the Brexiteer rhetoric this morning

European Union leaders sense that Theresa May will surrender to their divorce demands rather than walk away in a “no deal” scenario leading to a disorderly Brexit.

EU officials and diplomats have received private assurances and noted that the prime minister has dropped a pledge, made in January, that “no deal is better than a bad deal for Britain”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/243fd502-2c41-11e7-ae85-aa7f1ff8d93b
  • Options

HaroldO said:

From your description, I knew what that link would be about before I even clicked on it. ;)

England (or London) can be just as bad. Thankfully the Garden Bridge has now been scrapped:
    https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/apr/28/garden-bridge-dead-38m-public-money-repaid-boris-johnson

I hope *everyone* involved with this mess get to pay back the pubic's money. The project was clearly borken from the start.
    My home town of Nottingham is no better, project after pointless project. A few years ago one of the last disused railway arches (some of the rest are used by the tram) from when we were on the mainline was demolished as it was a "fire hazard", it was one of the few land marks left in the city that related to the old railways. It was taken down to make way for development....that has never happened because they never actually got anything in writing.
    That just about sums up half of the city centre, the most successful part is Victorian/Edwardian or private sector and the dumps are all city council owned and run.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

If the Tories don't take WAK it will have been an extremely disappointing night for them in Scotland once again. I think it is pretty nailed on.

Aberdeen is a very unhappy place these days on the back of the oil crash. The difference in Union Street is palpable with a good number of the best restaurants (and Jamie Oliver) gone. 3 years ago when I was staying there overnight for a Court case getting change out of £150 a night was difficult. Recently I got an aparthotel in the centre for £80. Speaking to locals the perception seems to be that the SNP are far more interested in the central belt than them (this is a recurring theme throughout the north east) and have done too little to help. It would not surprise me if Aberdeen South is in play.
    *IF* (and it's still a big if, of course,) the independence drive goes off the boil and we get more of a return to politics as usual in Scotland, then one possible end point is that the electoral map goes all the way back to the 70s or 80s, only with the SNP taking the place of Labour. That being the case, the SNP would remain the largest party, but with its strength predominantly concentrated in the central belt. The Tories and Lib Dems would carve up the rest of the country between them, with the SNP being driven back into 3 or 4 redoubts, perhaps fewer. You can see them being left with nothing north of Fife, save for Dundee. But that remains to be seen, of course.
    If people fall over in England and get knocked sensible we can expect labour to have a big majority and Tories to be reduced to the leafy shires and toffsville only.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Fat chance , it is a Tory wet dream, fantasy and not pleasant ending
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MD , I sure can

But Malky, you have always told us there are no Tories in Scotland...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Square Root, you are surely not suggesting that a good Scotsman like Malcolm eats American rubbish like cornflakes rather than proper food like porage?
    Malcs an authentic Scot all right.... sent here to troll the non believers.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

European Union leaders sense that Theresa May will surrender to their divorce demands rather than walk away in a “no deal” scenario leading to a disorderly Brexit.

EU officials and diplomats have received private assurances and noted that the prime minister has dropped a pledge, made in January, that “no deal is better than a bad deal for Britain”.

Re-tread of the Bloomberg article earlier?

The author of the Bloomberg article had previously claimed that the EU were set to demand that EU citizens resident in the UK for 5 years be given permanent residency - that's current UK Law
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Fat chance , it is a Tory wet dream, fantasy and not pleasant ending
    That's a keeper malc
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Morning Malc - hope you have a good day - politics in Scotland has become very interesting and I am making no predictions other than Nicola finds herself in the fight of her life in this GE
    Morning G, busy day ahead. I have to paint the external doors , garage etc so hoping it stays decent weather.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

"European Union leaders" sensed that we would never vote to Leave...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

No wonder Sturgeon's ratings have tanked by over 50 points!
    You are like a squeaking wheel
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

*IF* (and it's still a big if, of course,) the independence drive goes off the boil and we get more of a return to politics as usual in Scotland, then one possible end point is that the electoral map goes all the way back to the 70s or 80s, only with the SNP taking the place of Labour. That being the case, the SNP would remain the largest party, but with its strength predominantly concentrated in the central belt. The Tories and Lib Dems would carve up the rest of the country between them, with the SNP being driven back into 3 or 4 redoubts, perhaps fewer. You can see them being left with nothing north of Fife, save for Dundee. But that remains to be seen, of course.
    If people fall over in England and get knocked sensible we can expect labour to have a big majority and Tories to be reduced to the leafy shires and toffsville only.
    I don't think any of us see the SNP falling below 40 seats, at worst, which is a hefty margin of victory.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Less annoying than Nicola speaking?
  • Options
    Sky's paper review featured an article by the Times that states that the EU expect the UK to captulate to their demands as they have received private assurances that TM is prepared to accept a politically toxic deal.

The anger in the study was palpable and will be in homes throughout the UK.

I believe TM may will react to this by saying we are leaving with no agreement, eu citizens in the UK can stay but are subject to UK law and we will trade on WTO rules. End of story
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think any of us see the SNP falling below 40 seats, at worst, which is a hefty margin of victory.
    I would like the to fall to precisely 40....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,396

Scott_P said:

Re-tread of the Bloomberg article earlier?

The author of the Bloomberg article had previously claimed that the EU were set to demand that EU citizens resident in the UK for 5 years be given permanent residency - that's current UK Law
    Acceding to demands will be easy when it means we can just leave things as they are. It's the path of least resistance.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

ToryJim said:

tlg86 said:

So today the PM is going to Aberdeen and Jeremy Corbyn is going to Shoreditch.

He hasn't got the right type of beard for shoreditch.
    Hipster chic is all about "authenticity", hence the adoption of artisan bread, craft beer, tattoos, lumberjack shirts etc. Jezza actually fits this well, but really because he politically dates from a Seventies counter-culture hybridisation of "The Good Life" and "Citizen Smith". I am not so sure that he would be friends with Margot Leadbetter though.
    Margot - "Jerry, I've just heard on the wireless. That man Corbyn is traversing Surbiton to campaign on one of the council estates?

Jerry - "Really dear ...."

Margot - "Don't just 'really dear' me Jerry. We need a petition to stop him. We'll have a soiree this evening to arrange the matter. Jerry you'll need to go to Fortnum's and Harrod's for provisions and get Mrs Dooms-Paterson's reinforced chair out of the gazebo ..."

Jerry - "What ?!?!?"

Margot - "Heavens above. Your name !!!!!!! .... Jeremy !!!!! .... I'm sorry Jerry but it'll have to be changed. We can't possibly have any association with that Communist. What would members of the Pony Club and Residents Association think !! ...."
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

I don't think she is a bad public speaker, her colleagues are mainly awful though. Talent pool depth of a puddle.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,844
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

MD , I sure can

But Malky, you have always told us there are no Tories in Scotland...
    Best cough up now Malcolm and save the embarrassment

I was going to double up if the tories had a candidate in tune with the voters in Gordon but Jacob Rees mogul isnt
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It is exactly what the Brexiteers have said all along. The EU are fools and unless they relent in early negotiations we will be lead out by TM with the backing of the Nation. We will not be disrespected by anyone
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,026
    Scott_P said:
    First good news he's had in a while.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,893
    Scott_P said:

Mistake. They need to know she might walk away for the UK to get the best deal.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,938
    saddened said:

Sean_F said:

saddened said:

The EU doesn't want to punish us.

We have decided to leave and sacrifice freedom of movement.

FoM benefits us and the EU so not surprising they aren't thrilled about this.

Just because ending FoM is popular in the UK doesn't mean it will be beneficial.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Just had Granola with blueberries and an orange to freshen the palate afterwards , with a nice mug of tea. Normal fare is indeed porridge , Organic and whole oats of course with blueberries and raspberries.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Dropping from 56 to 40 is not really a victory though.

Nicola and Ruth visit a casino. Nicola has 56 chips, Ruth has 1.

When they leave, Nicola has 45 chips, and Ruth has 10, some of which used to be Nicola's

Only one of them was a winner...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Morning G, busy day ahead. I have to paint the external doors , garage etc so hoping it stays decent weather.
    Great way to relax Malc and then catch up on tonights news Ruth and Theresa's crusade to the North East and the fisher folk
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,396

Scott_P said:

It is exactly what the Brexiteers have said all along. The EU are fools and unless they relent in early negotiations we will be lead out by TM with the backing of the Nation. We will not be disrespected by anyone
    The coming humiliation will be bitter and painful for some, but it cannot be avoided. That's why Cameron was so quick to leave the stage.
  • Options
    On hipsters.... Avocado on toast is great.
  • Options

The article claims she has told them she won't
  • Options

Scott_P said:

That makes us sound like a stroppy teenager, going around saying ''spect'.

And if you don't want people to disrespect you, it's a good idea not to disrespect them yourself.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

LOL, next you will be telling the shouty bulldog is a great speaker. You Tories cannot suffer that SNP speak with gravitas and presence whilst your moingrel whines and slavers shouting like a fishwife.

What is betting on May meeting a real member of the public in Scotland today , 1000 - 1.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Scott_P said:

Claims. From the EU side. Worth less than nothing.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Just had Granola with blueberries and an orange to freshen the palate afterwards , with a nice mug of tea. Normal fare is indeed porridge , Organic and whole oats of course with blueberries and raspberries.
    Non authentic Malc. Bit of sugar and a pinch of Salt. You've gone all metro... are you actually posting from Scotland
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

You Tories cannot suffer that SNP speak with gravitas and presence

ROFLMAO

Pete Wishart

Angus MacNeil

They can barely string a sentence together
  • Options

Sky's paper review featured an article by the Times that states that the EU expect the UK to captulate to their demands as they have received private assurances that TM is prepared to accept a politically toxic deal.

The anger in the study was palpable and will be in homes throughout the UK.

I believe TM may will react to this by saying we are leaving with no agreement, eu citizens in the UK can stay but are subject to UK law and we will trade on WTO rules. End of story

G , be sad for you but she will sell you down the river, this squad of cheating lying losers are in it for themselves, hence why buying time with election against the hapless Labour. It si to save them after they give it all away on Brexit. Trouble ahead.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

What is betting on May meeting a real member of the public in Scotland today , 1000 - 1.
    https://twitter.com/BrianSpanner1/status/857965041164984320
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    rkrkrk said:

saddened said:

Sean_F said:

saddened said:

Just because ending FoM is popular in the UK doesn't mean it will be beneficial.
    We haven't sacrificed free movement. It's being imposed on us as part of any deal. Why?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And if you don't want people to disrespect you, it's a good idea not to disrespect them yourself.
    Being polite but firm is usually the best strategy in negotiations. If people make ridiculous demands, then you just tell them there's no deal.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

My home town of Nottingham is no better, project after pointless project. A few years ago one of the last disused railway arches (some of the rest are used by the tram) from when we were on the mainline was demolished as it was a "fire hazard", it was one of the few land marks left in the city that related to the old railways. It was taken down to make way for development....that has never happened because they never actually got anything in writing.
    That just about sums up half of the city centre, the most successful part is Victorian/Edwardian or private sector and the dumps are all city council owned and run.
    The sad thing is that I think I knew the arches you're referring to well - aren't they the Great Central to Midland curve to the south of Victoria station? (Can't remember the name - something curve)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The coming humiliation will be bitter and painful for some, but it cannot be avoided. That's why Cameron was so quick to leave the stage.
    The humiliation will not be the UK's. If we walk away it will fracture the EU member states and cause a massive crisis for them
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

When they leave, Nicola has 45 chips, and Ruth has 10, some of which used to be Nicola's

Much as I take the side of Scott in the battle of Scott vs the Nats, this analogy implies that Blair lost the 2005 election.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Isn't it that EU Sources claim that's whats been said?

Not quite the same thing......
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,919
    SNP, Brexit Tories. Ironically they have much more more in common than what divides them and gain strength from each other.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

ROFLMAO

Pete Wishart

Angus MacNeil

Nearly as bad as that shouty twat with the combover on QT thursday, looked like a support character from Taggart and spoke like one too. All he could do was jab and get aggressive, the moment he was pushed he was easily confused and all over the place.
    Made Damien Green look normal.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The disrespect is coming from the EU
  • Options

EU officials and diplomats have received private assurances
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The coming humiliation will be bitter and painful for some, but it cannot be avoided.
    Yes, apparently the revelation that so few fellow Brits share your dreams of a federal EU wasn't humiliating enough so you're back for more.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

MRDA
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

Not too bright are you Scott, in football or rugby 45-10 is same result as 56-1 , the one with the low number is a LOSER. IT IS FIRST PAST THE POST. Surely you do not need that expained in simple terms for numpties.
    You can bleat all you like but trying to pretend Black is white is pretty stupid even for you.
  • Options
    saddened said:

rkrkrk said:

saddened said:

Sean_F said:

saddened said:

We haven't sacrificed free movement. It's being imposed on us as part of any deal. Why?
    I'm confused.
    I thought we were the ones wanting to end freedom of movement?
    So how is it being imposed on us?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

https://twitter.com/BrianSpanner1/status/857965041164984320
    Spanner indeed
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, if the reports are accurate, I agree.

We don't know either way.
  • Options
    And as one Tory MSP told me, a good SNP result is also a good result for Tories. Because if Labour is crushed on May 4, the Tories become the last line of defence for the Union. That means the General Election becomes even more polarised, and voters who oppose a second referendum get funnelled into the blue column. Labour, meanwhile, would probably turn inward and start squabbling over Ms Dugdale’s future.

Yes, that suits the SNP, said the MSP, but it also brings new people to the Tories, and the Tories don’t need to win the election to stymie a referendum, they just need to burst the SNP’s bubble and paint Ms Sturgeon as a leader on the slide. Then it’s on to the 2021 Holyrood election and a reprise of the slogan that put the SNP into power in 2007 – time for change.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/15255020.Tom_Gordon__SNP_beware__the_Tories_are_on_the_march/
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,405

Mr. Jim, one hopes you weren't contaminated by hipsterism. Symptoms include:
    over-groomed facial hair
    the sudden desire to serve food on pieces of slate or driftwood
    the confusion of pretentiousness for authenticity.

Mr. Saddened, it's like the Bible Belt's view of sex. It's dirty and horrid and sinful and will damned you forever, and you should save it for your wife.

Edited extra bit: damn*, obviously.

Morning, Mr.D.

I think you present the extreme version of hipsterism - like conservatism, it's a fairly broad church.
    And most importantly, they do very good coffee - even in Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

ROFLMAO

Pete Wishart

Angus MacNeil

Enough to whip the Tories it seems
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So they say.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_P said:

Of course they have, and of course the Times, and therefore you, know all about them, "private" being a synonym of "public".
  • Options
    @JamieRoss7: The Scottish Lib Dems have announced Christine Jardine, who stood against Salmond in 2015, to contest the winnable Edinburgh West seat.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The disrespect is coming from the EU
    Using terms like 'The EU are fools' is hardly respectful, even if you feel it's true.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Non authentic Malc. Bit of sugar and a pinch of Salt. You've gone all metro... are you actually posting from Scotland
    Square , sugar and salt are bad for you , should be in moderation. My good wife will have already added the salt during preparation, sugar is a no no , that is for jessies
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Not too bright are you Scott, in football or rugby 45-10 is same result as 56-1 , the one with the low number is a LOSER. IT IS FIRST PAST THE POST. Surely you do not need that expained in simple terms for numpties.
    You can bleat all you like but trying to pretend Black is white is pretty stupid even for you.

On the morning after, if the result is 45-10, Ruth will be smiling and Nicola will look like she is chewing a nettle.

Mind you, Nicola always looks like that
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The coming humiliation will be bitter and painful for some, but it cannot be avoided.
    Yes, apparently the revelation that so few fellow Brits share your dreams of a federal EU wasn't humiliating enough so you're back for more.
    One imagines that Mr Glenn spends his weekends with a German dominatrix sporting a Merkel haircut begging to be humiliated by her.
This discussion has been closed.