Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why we are all going to be able to get to bed earlier this ele

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,808

Anecdote Alert

At a chess match last night one of the opposing team was talking about his politics.

He said he'd been a :Labour voter for over 30 years, but no longer. This time he'll be voting Lib Dem, despite the whole coalition experience, because he thinks they're the only party with a sane Europe policy. He lives in Sheffield Heeley.

Has anybody met a long time labour voter who just can't wait to rush to the ballot box and vote for a jezza*?

* Yes I know only the good residents of Islington get to vote for the supreme leader, but you know what I mean.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,077

Spain is a much bigger country than the UK and has many more far-flung, remote corners. It usually gets its count done and dusted in the early hours. Maybe it's because they do the count at the polling stations rather than in central locations. Why don't we do that?

The standard map is so deceptive.

I had no idea its land area was more than twice that of the UK.
    Gabon is slightly larger than the whole of the UK.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I see todays labour announcement is more shaking of the magic money tree with no answer how any of this will be balanced out.

Given The Tories no longer care about the deficit either, doesn't that mean they'll be shaking th magic money tree too, just not as hard?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/25/uks-deficit-slashed-level-last-seen-financial-crisis/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,685
    Patrick said:

kle4 said:

I see todays labour announcement is more shaking of the magic money tree with no answer how any of this will be balanced out.

Given The Tories no longer care about the deficit either, doesn't that mean they'll be shaking th magic money tree too, just not as hard?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/25/uks-deficit-slashed-level-last-seen-financial-crisis/
    Yes, but reports said Hammond was going to more slowly, the big drop this year was due to one off factors, so it won't be eliminated even by 2020.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sky report was highly sceptical of the cost and its reporter said that the pay review body could make a recommendation of the same or even less of a pay rise. The whole think is another gimmick
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Patrick said:

kle4 said:

Yes, but reports said Hammond was going to more slowly, the big drop this year was due to one off factors, so it won't be eliminated even by 2020.
    I think Osborne reduced the monster deficit he inherited about as fast as the country could absorb financially and politically. In hindsight he might have gone a bit faster - but not alot. He did well and created alot of jobs. Hammond is likewise pushing it down at a financial/political goldilocks rate. I'd prefer faster but I'm a dry-as-dust sound-money Thatcherite. I recognise the political limits.
    The bottom line? This country will have needed about a decade to undo the effects of Gordo. Thanks Labour.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Fishing said:

I always think it's best to catch a few hours' sleep between the exit poll and 2-3 am. Watching all the commentators desperately try to fill up time in the early hours is just annoying. However, clearly that may not be the thing to do this year.

It was pretty funny in 2015 as you had every commentator saying "I don't believe it", the academic going "our data is actually consistent with a Tory majority" and a vague sense of panic brewing.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,621
    Patrick said:

kle4 said:

Patrick said:

kle4 said:

I think Osborne reduced the monster deficit he inherited about as fast as the country could absorb financially and politically. In hindsight he might have gone a bit faster - but not alot. He did well and created alot of jobs. Hammond is likewise pushing it down at a financial/political goldilocks rate. I'd prefer faster but I'm a dry-as-dust sound-money Thatcherite. I recognise the political limits.
    The bottom line? This country will have needed about a decade to undo the effects of Gordo. Thanks Labour.
    We should never abolish boom and bust again...
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    kle4 said:

Your statement is untrue.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    edited April 2017

Anecdote Alert

At a chess match last night one of the opposing team was talking about his politics.

He said he'd been a :Labour voter for over 30 years, but no longer. This time he'll be voting Lib Dem, despite the whole coalition experience, because he thinks they're the only party with a sane Europe policy. He lives in Sheffield Heeley.

Has anybody met a long time labour voter who just can't wait to rush to the ballot box and vote for a jezza*?

* Yes I know only the good residents of Islington get to vote for the supreme leader, but you know what I mean.
    My FB is overwhelmingly lefty/liberal. In GE 2015 you couldn't move for political posts, all in support of Labour (2010 saw more of a mix of LD/Lab). This time, much more silent, and only 3 people are Corbyn supporters. One of those is an actual marxist. I've seen many others criticizing him. I think even among young people there is no enthusiasm for jezza. And why would there be, he doesn't actually offer anything specifically interesting to younger voters, I've seen nothing of that so far.

My sister only just turned 18 so will be voting for the first time, and it won't be for Labour (she will vote LD most likely). The seat is a Lab/Tory marginal.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Anecdote Alert

Obviously the Lib Dem European policy hasn't cut through yet. A parliamentary candidate of theirs who I vaguely know confirmed to me yesterday that their policy is for a referendum at the end of the A50 negotiations with the options being take the deal negotiated or remain on the status quo ante referendum I.

This is not only not sane, it's impossible.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Given that they've pretty much eliminated the primary deficit, I'm not sure why you say they no longer care about it.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    edited April 2017
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

This is amusing:

The number of senior BBC managers paid more than £150,000 has risen, despite assurances the figure would fall. A National Audit Office report says there were 98 people on that salary level last year, up from 89 in 2012."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39715025

Who'd have thunk it?

That's a huge number for any organisation. They have what, a dozen heads of department, maybe a dozen deputies. Who are the other 74 people?

Anyone paid six figures from taxpayer money should have their title and salary published. No exceptions.
    There are 24,000 employees, and there will be qualified accountants and lawyers in that mix (where the alternative is paying more for an external firm).
    Oh sure there's some experienced professionals in there, but accountants and lawyers elsewhere in the civil service don't seem to be earning more than the PM.

They should publish the titles and salaries, let those who pay their wages know where their money goes.
    Two things:

a) The Civil Service and the BBC are very different creatures.

b) A great many Civil Service roles are fulfilled by contractors on sky high day rates. Having slashed wages to a silly level the Government now gets around its own rules that way.

Civil Servants not earning more than the PM might be sensible if either the PM were paid a more sensible wage or we took in to account the real value of their package and/or their future earnings potential.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

kle4 said:

Patrick said:

kle4 said:

I think they could and can have pushed harder, but it hardly matters - if that is the overwhelming reason to vote (and there are many others), it's not like the others are more hawkish on the deficit.

Though labour trying to set out its stall for the grey vote via promising, as the Tories have not yet done so, to retain the pensions triple lock, is interesting.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Sixth, like Arsenal?
    I've never understood how some places take six or seven hours to count the ballots, except for the most remote places in Cumbria and Scotland. If last week's experience in France is anything to go by, it's perfectly possible to do it within three.

Orkney and Shetland actually counts pretty quickly: they usually have a result by 230 or 3
    They used to be the last to declare. I recall in Jo Grimond's day in the 1964 and 1966 elections Orkney & Shetland did not declare until Friday evening.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Patrick said:

kle4 said:

Patrick said:

kle4 said:

A debate for another time is whether Mrs Thatcher (and her governments) were sound-money Thatcherites.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Given that they've pretty much eliminated the primary deficit, I'm not sure why you say they no longer care about it.
    Because Hammond said so, if not in those precise words.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,696
    Patrick said:

kle4 said:

Patrick said:

kle4 said:

The government has done an excellent job in reducing the deficit by £100bn a year, roughly 1/7th of all government spending with far less pain than might have been expected from such a huge fiscal rebalancing. It achieved this by a combination of higher taxes for the better off and keeping a firm grip on public spending. In the last year spending grew 1% in nominal terms, falling in real terms despite protected areas such as the NHS.

Labour's latest proposals of pay increases for the NHS and other public staff risk undermining this. Not only is it ridiculous to say that this would be paid for by extra CT (which may or may not raise any additional income in a world where tax bases are competitive between countries) but it ignores the contribution that public sector wage control has made to deficit reduction. We still need to rebalance to the tune of £50bn. Proposals such as Labour's today suggest the deficit will rapidly proceed back in the wrong direction.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Indeed. They clearly do care about it because they talk about it - alot. There is much arguing and agonising over the right speed to get back into surplus. The issue of absolute levels of debt and/or debt/GDP is very much on the agenda. I tihnk only an ideologue or a deliberate liar can claim there is no government attention on this.
    Contrast with Miliband who, in the heat of a GE where public finances and the deficit were big issues, simply forgot to mention the deficit! 'No I don't think we overspent'!!! I'm not expecting Jezza to mention it once either. Labour gave up on economic sound management a long long time ago.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

kle4 said:

Tories don't shake the magic money tree for their pet projects, and they haven't abandoned even the extended 2020 target for eliminating the deficit. Ookay, I apologise then.

Edit - people are, if i may be so bold, taking the phrase 'don't care about' a little too literally. I'm happy to substitute to 'no longer care about anywhere near as much, thus freeing up magic money tree allocation'.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Your words are a distortion of what he said.
  • Options
    ‪Does anyone have a link to this poll?

https://twitter.com/labourlewis/status/856948100623212544
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,711
    It is a mystery that we have so many anecdotes of people moving from Lab to LibDem this time (and I have several friends who are the same) yet so far the LDs don't seem to be getting much of an uplift in the polls. I guess we all move in a small atypical circle of people who are too busy to talk to pollsters?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

First for results = 'free' publicity on TV, press, radio etc. Am surprised Torbay haven't gone for it recently.

Cheltenham was first in 1964 & 1966. Guildford in 1970 and both 1974 elections.The Salford and Wolverhampton seats were always very early results too.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

By which you mean, he didn't say so but you're interpreting his motives that way anyway.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Almost eliminated in the sense of getting it back down to the pre-crisis levels when Gordon Brown was Chancellor. Or nearly. Oh, and don't mention record debt.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,482
    Rare sensible policy from Labour, restoring the bursary for nurses' training
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39711133
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Your words are a distortion of what he said.
    An interpretation, that's still allowed isn't it? If we stick just to what parties say, rather than what that really means, I'd believe Labour are still economically credible.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I'm beginning to feel very sorry for Labour canvassers when they try to explain their policy on Brexit to their Leave supporters.

On Brexit, the Tories say. We accept the result of the referendum. We are trying to get the best economic deal we can with the EU.

LDs say We don't accept the result of the referendum because we know better.

Labour says We accept the result of the referendum. The EU holds all the cards but we must make the best of it. So we demand that the Tories achieve exactly what We want even when we know it's impossible. When they don't, we will ensure we stay in the EU.

Even worse, is the sub-plot, WE know this is nonsense but we think you are stupid Neanderthals and won't see the contradiction.

Good luck lads with that one.

Labour desperately trying to balance on the fence whilst the Brexit war rages all around them. But there ain't no Switzerland in the 'hood....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The term veteran looks suspiciously American.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Good morning troubadours.
    If the 10k majority maxim mooted by 'labour sources' comes to pass, Sunderland Central might well end up in recount territory and not be the first declaration.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited April 2017
    HYUFD said:

Surprisingly it isn't... because of the bursary number of nurse places was capped by the budget available. With the removal of the bursary we get the removal of the cap...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Tories don't shake the magic money tree for their pet projects, and they haven't abandoned even the extended 2020 target for eliminating the deficit. Ookay, I apologise then.

Edit - people are, if i may be so bold, taking the phrase 'don't care about' a little too literally. I'm happy to 'no longer care about anywhere near as much, thus freeing up magic money tree allocation'.
    What is undoubtedly true is that the next government is going to have a very hard time producing a fiscally responsible policy. There are a number of areas, notably Social Care and the NHS which are currently underfunded to the extent that they are not meeting demand or expectations and efficiency drives are simply not going to cut it any longer. In addition there is quite a compelling case for additional capital infrastructure expenditure to support growth post Brexit.

These pressures combined with modest growth rates are going to make the Chancellor's job extremely challenging and it is hardly surprising that Hammond wants to drop the no new taxes pledge. It also means that promising give aways like increased wages for public sector employees is grossly irresponsible. But you knew that. Everyone knows that, hence the polling.
  • Options

I imagine he, or Labour, commissioned this privately. It shows him in a tighter position than in 2015 with a rise in LibDem and UKIP vote and a significant dropping away of Green support.
  • Options

If those were the figures in January he's toast.
  • Options
    Only two of the LD seats really look comfortable at present - how many are for sure safe? Amazing how many are clustered together in the middle there. I wish them good luck (if MarkS can believe that from a person like me)
  • Options

kle4 said:

Almost eliminated in the sense of getting it back down to the pre-crisis levels when Gordon Brown was Chancellor. Or nearly. Oh, and don't mention record debt.
    The debt is Brown's debt. He thought he had abolished boom and bust. He is ,an economic illiterate.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,263
    ab195 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

This is amusing:

The number of senior BBC managers paid more than £150,000 has risen, despite assurances the figure would fall. A National Audit Office report says there were 98 people on that salary level last year, up from 89 in 2012."

Who'd have thunk it?

That's a huge number for any organisation. They have what, a dozen heads of department, maybe a dozen deputies. Who are the other 74 people?

Anyone paid six figures from taxpayer money should have their title and salary published. No exceptions.
    There are 24,000 employees, and there will be qualified accountants and lawyers in that mix (where the alternative is paying more for an external firm).
    Oh sure there's some experienced professionals in there, but accountants and lawyers elsewhere in the civil service don't seem to be earning more than the PM.

They should publish the titles and salaries, let those who pay their wages know where their money goes.
    Two things:

b) A great many Civil Service roles are fulfilled by contractors on sky high day rates. Having slashed wages to a silly level the Government now gets around its own rules that way.

Civil Servants not earning more than the PM might be sensible if either the PM were paid a more sensible wage or we took in to account the real value of their package and/or their future earnings potential.
    Oh, I don't contend at all that organisations find ways around these things and expensive consultants also need to be addressed. That said, the consultants won't be earning as much in retirement as they did in employment.

I would suggest that at the BBC, the high salaries don't come from senior lawyers and accountants as much as they come from 'assistant deputy director of equality and diversity in creativity' type roles.

Another thing I want to know from the BBC is how many people now in Manchester are being paid the same as they were when they were in London. Probably most of them.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,050
    edited April 2017
    IanB2 said:

I imagine he, or Labour, commissioned this privately. It shows him in a tighter position than in 2015 with a rise in LibDem and UKIP vote and a significant dropping away of Green support.
    Well Labour's pollster is BMG, and if Clive Lewis is doing this off his own bat he's got a lot of money to hand and to do private polling whilst in the shadow cabinet implies he was/is up to something
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Edit - people are, if i may be so bold, taking the phrase 'don't care about' a little too literally. I'm happy to 'no longer care about anywhere near as much, thus freeing up magic money tree allocation'.
    What is undoubtedly true is that the next government is going to have a very hard time producing a fiscally responsible policy. There are a number of areas, notably Social Care and the NHS which are currently underfunded to the extent that they are not meeting demand or expectations and efficiency drives are simply not going to cut it any longer. In addition there is quite a compelling case for additional capital infrastructure expenditure to support growth post Brexit.

These pressures combined with modest growth rates are going to make the Chancellor's job extremely challenging and it is hardly surprising that Hammond wants to drop the no new taxes pledge. It also means that promising give aways like increased wages for public sector employees is grossly irresponsible. But you knew that. Everyone knows that, hence the polling.
    I do know that - that I pointed out they abandoned (in my view) their commitment doesn't change that I know that, and Labour's unfounded giveaways is therefore deeply irresponsible in my view. But to read the initial reactions this morning, express any hint of criticism that the Tories have not done as good a job in this admittedly difficult area as they might have, and you may as well be a Corbynista for the response you get!

I hope they do admit they need, or may need, to raise taxes a bit, and drop some other giveaways, but we've also seen how some Tories respond to that. They too want the magic money tree - it's just they don't shake it as much as Labour.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The debt is Brown's debt. He thought he had abolished boom and bust. He is ,an economic illiterate.
    The debt is mainly Osborne's.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Well Labour's pollster is BMG, and if Clive Lewis is doing this off his bat he's got a lot of money to hand and to do private polling whilst in the shadow cabinet implies he was/is up to something
    It will be delicious if he were polling and plotting a leadership bid that post-election he will be ineligible to contest.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741

Anecdote Alert

Obviously the Lib Dem European policy hasn't cut through yet. A parliamentary candidate of theirs who I vaguely know confirmed to me yesterday that their policy is for a referendum at the end of the A50 negotiations with the options being take the deal negotiated or remain on the status quo ante referendum I.

This is not only not sane, it's impossible.
    You can disagree with the policy, but you're wrong about it being impossible:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-uk-change-mind-article-50-legal-expert-eu-referendum-a7150926.html
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,499
    edited April 2017

IanB2 said:

Well Labour's pollster is BMG, and if Clive Lewis is doing this off his bat he's got a lot of money to hand and to do private polling whilst in the shadow cabinet implies he was/is up to something
    I think the link to the poll is www.pollswotclivelewismadeup.com

Isn't it just the 2015 result with UNS based on January's national ICM poll? Misleading to say it's a Norwich South poll, but that's Clive Lewis for you.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

IanB2 said:

It will be delicious if he were polling and plotting a leadership bid that post-election he will be ineligible to contest.
    Shades of Portillo....
  • Options
    NovoNovo Posts: 27
    DavidL said:

I remember reading about how Sunderland did it .... posted something about the other day. Torbay used to be up there with Sunderland until a new Returning Officer said it wasn’t worth it. Short sighted in a way, because we used to be treated to a graphic of Torquay in the summer. Quite encouraged one to go there!

People DO go to Sunderland on holiday, incidentally, or certainly did 50 years ago.

We go to the Metro Centre for Christmas shopping if that counts.
    When at Sunderland do stop to admire the new EU funded bridge over the River Wear! Or the nearby Nissan factory whilst it is still there.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

IanB2 said:

If he was only 8% ahead in January he's in trouble.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

IanB2 said:

Shades of Portillo....
    Clive Lewis is no Portillo.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    edited April 2017
    Sandpit said:

ab195 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

This is amusing:

Who'd have thunk it?

Two things:

Oh, I don't contend at all that organisations find ways around these things and expensive consultants also need to be addressed. That said, the consultants won't be earning as much in retirement as they did in employment.

I would suggest that at the BBC, the high salaries don't come from senior lawyers and accountants as much as they come from 'assistant deputy director of equality and diversity in creativity' type roles.

Another thing I want to know from the BBC is how many people now in Manchester are being paid the same as they were when they were in London. Probably most of them.
    My guess is that this line of questioning very quickly gets you to the question of what the BBC is for. If we want it to directly compete with Sky and ITV then it follows that it probably has to pay the market rate, and that's what we see in these posts. Only a narrower public service remit could get you to Civil Service like pay rates, where a different dynamic is at play.

I'm fairly ambivalent, but I think we'll have to choose.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,050
    edited April 2017
    I asked Martin Boon about that Norwich South poll. This is his response

https://twitter.com/martinboon/status/857142981199106051
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,237

Scott_P said:
    The term veteran looks suspiciously American.
    And IRA is Individual Retirement Account in their lingo.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,065

ToryJim said:

IanB2 said:

Shades of Portillo....
    Racist!!!!
  • Options
    Arthur_PennyArthur_Penny Posts: 198
    edited April 2017
    ToryJim said:

IanB2 said:

The leaflet might persuad Tories to come out - if they think they are that close to taking the constituency . . . Whether he should have been honest or tried the Lib Dem approach is a different matter.- bearing in mind the Tories have moved from 40 - 45% and Labour from 27 to 25% in the meantime. (Big UKIP vote there as well...)
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

I asked Martin Boon about that Norwich South poll. This is his response

https://twitter.com/martinboon/status/857142981199106051

oh dear.

oh dear, oh dear.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Primary deficit, not overall deficit.
  • Options
    !983 campaign was only 4 weeks and Labour did fall as low as 23%.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,052
    Morning comrades, saboteurs and patriots,

Good to hear we'll get the result quickly on election and Jezza won't have long to wait to find out how badly he's done.

Any bet's on what time the first Labour politician will appear on telly calling for him to resign? ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,052
    edited April 2017
    Are we getting a MORI poll today? :open_mouth:
  • Options

ToryJim said:

IanB2 said:

The leaflet might persuad Tories to come out - if they think they are that close to taking the constituency . . . Whether he should have been honest or tried the Lib Dem approach is a different matter.- bearing in mind the Tories have moved from 40 - 45% and Labour from 27 to 25% in the meantime.
    Norwich South is a really tricky one, the city and golden triangle will as ever be rich labour and green territory but it does now include New Costessey (where I grew up and my parents still live) which will
    go Tory this time. There has, coincidentally, been an enormous amount of development in Costessey over the last couple of years which I believe falls into the constituency..........
  • Options

kle4 said:

Err... no.. the debt was caused by Brown it was impossible to get it under control immediately. Another left of centre poster unable to accept the truth. Labour has never been able to manage the books.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Tower Hamlets will still take 100 hours to finish the count
  • Options

kle4 said:

Yes - he has had to integrate that massive deficit over 6 years. And Labour had opposed every single attempt by him to reduce expenditure (or at least reign it in)

The deficit this year just ended was £56 billion - or £1500 for each taxpayer.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,068
    edited April 2017
    If I was a premier league footballer who'd just scored the winning goal at Wembley and lifted my shirt to reveal my latest tattoo written in Tengwar It would be a line written by Alastair last night;

jnRrÈ y5^ wzRyE,É `C t1R7qYj^1T5# j$1TÉ 8z7E2$ @ y6Yzb% zjiE'iR y4% z|5$eHw^zT j`BiR

"Leave won because a metropolitan elite scared the working classes with xenophobic lies".
  • Options
    Eek, quick correction to my previous post. The new development in Costessey does NOT fall into Norwich South, it's South Norfolk. The parts of Costessey in Clive's patch will still go blue but he doesn't have the swathe of new voters to contend with after all
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I have no idea why Clive lewis got sacked from the bbc...Taps mic....Sniff sniff...Fake (polling) news.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The debt is the consequence of accumulated deficits. It seems a little unfair to throw the toxic legacy of an annual £151 billion (9.9% ) which he turned around to a £52 billion (2.6%) deficit as his fault.

Are you not blaming the fire fighters for not putting out the fire quickly enough rather than the arsonists who set the thing alight?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

Only two of the LD seats really look comfortable at present - how many are for sure safe? Amazing how many are clustered together in the middle there. I wish them good luck (if MarkS can believe that from a person like me)
    Orkney and Shetland is ultra safe.
    Ceredigion on my welsh analysis was massively safe too, we'll gain Cardiff Central back too.
    England more mixed.
  • Options
    notme said:

HYUFD said:

Surprisingly it isn't... because of the bursary number of nurse places was capped by the budget available. With the removal of the bursary we get the removal of the cap...
    That assumes that more nurses will apply to take up the increased training places available, there may actually be a fall in applications because of the removal of the bursary though
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741
    Now that really does look like a dodgy bar chart - is it also Fake News?
  • Options
    There is dodgy bar charts and then there is dodgy bar charts....
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Well Labour's pollster is BMG, and if Clive Lewis is doing this off his own bat he's got a lot of money to hand and to do private polling whilst in the shadow cabinet implies he was/is up to something
    UKIP aren't going to get 12% in Norwich south.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    notme said:

kle4 said:

The debt is the consequence of accumulated deficits. It seems a little unfair to throw the toxic legacy of an annual £151 billion (9.9% ) which he turned around to a £52 billion (2.6%) deficit as his fault.

Are you not blaming the fire fighters for not putting out the fire quickly enough rather than the arsonists who set the thing alight?

I don't see the point of arguing this anymore. The battle was lost, by Labour, almost half a decade ago. The only guy who has fought on longer was Hiroo Onoda.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

That assumes that more nurses will apply to take up the increased training places available, there may actually be a fall in applications because of the removal of the bursary though
    There might be, but considering prior there was 4 applicants for every place... I think targeted bursaries would be a good idea rather than blanket. There was a Avery successful drive in nursing and teaching in 2000 that brought lots of women into the work place whose children had grown up/teens, the bursaries played an important part in that.

I could see a good argument for student loans for both teachers and nurses or other professions where we have difficulty recruiting getting wiped after a decade of service or some such thing. Imaginative and fair.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    alex. said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Morning all.

One of the implications of this is that it may be worth betting on Sunderland to beat their record - I assume that they are going to try again.

Did we ever verify the story from the other day that they don't actually count the Lab vote in Sunderland, rather they count all the other parties' votes and subtract from the total number of ballot papers?

One assumes that if the result is somewhat closer than usual, that method (if used) would be open to challenge by a candidate and replaced by a 'proper' count of the votes.
    Surely if they did that Labour would be getting the benefit of any spoilt papers that should be eliminated? And surely we would have noticed if Sunderland had not had any spoilt papers in the last few elections?
    Presumably the sorting process identifies the spoilt/disputed papers

The first thing that has to happen at a count is verifying that the right number of ballot papers have arrived at the count, which is done by counting them and comparing the totals to the number issued. Only after that has been successfully done do you start counting by candidate and putting aside the questionable ones for adjudication.
    Verification doesn't always produce an exact match. Being a couple under sometimes happens - because voters take them and then don't put them in the box. The problem comes if you have more ballot papers in the boxes than you think were issued.

The slowness with multiple elections is because all the verifications of the separate ballots have to be done before you starting counting by candidate. You have to do that in case you have lost a ballot box or for example, someone has put a GE vote in the local election box. Common sense really.

So I cannot believe Sunderland do anything like what's been described. Where is the evidence they do anything other than have lots of experienced counters who are very efficient? Oh, and having lowish turnout and a smallish voting population to start with probably help.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 849
    Latest Theakes poll Norwich South, Labout 31, Conservatives 30, Lib Dems 26, UKIP 7, Geens 6!!!!!!!! Anyone can say what they want including Clive Lewis it seems. Gosh wont the others make hay against him with this.
  • Options
    Gets popcorn for this one! One person you don't want to piss off is Martin Boon.
  • Options
    I don't think Sunderland will be the first to declare. It'll be in recount territory.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

alex. said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Morning all.

One of the implications of this is that it may be worth betting on Sunderland to beat their record - I assume that they are going to try again.

Did we ever verify the story from the other day that they don't actually count the Lab vote in Sunderland, rather they count all the other parties' votes and subtract from the total number of ballot papers?

One assumes that if the result is somewhat closer than usual, that method (if used) would be open to challenge by a candidate and replaced by a 'proper' count of the votes.
    Surely if they did that Labour would be getting the benefit of any spoilt papers that should be eliminated? And surely we would have noticed if Sunderland had not had any spoilt papers in the last few elections?
    Presumably the sorting process identifies the spoilt/disputed papers

The first thing that has to happen at a count is verifying that the right number of ballot papers have arrived at the count, which is done by counting them and comparing the totals to the number issued. Only after that has been successfully done do you start counting by candidate and putting aside the questionable ones for adjudication.
    Verification doesn't always produce an exact match. Being a couple under sometimes happens - because voters take them and then don't put them in the box. The problem comes if you have more ballot papers in the boxes than you think were issued.

The slowness with multiple elections is because all the verifications of the separate ballots have to be done before you starting counting by candidate. You have to do that in case you have lost a ballot box or for example, someone has put a GE vote in the local election box. Common sense really.

So I cannot believe Sunderland do anything like what's been described. Where is the evidence they do anything other than have lots of experienced counters who are very efficient? Oh, and having lowish turnout and a smallish voting population to start with probably help.
    And the local authority counters are usually regular council staff normally on a combination of overtime and time off on the Friday. Since they have to be contracted for a minimum period it is more efficient to have fewer people and a slower count.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

A better approach would be to remove the need for nursing 'degrees' in the first place.
  • Options
    The belief is that Clive Lewis got the name of the pollster wrong or simply applied UNS from January's ICM national poll.
  • Options
    notme said:

HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

There might be, but considering prior there was 4 applicants for every place... I think targeted bursaries would be a good idea rather than blanket. There was a Avery successful drive in nursing and teaching in 2000 that brought lots of women into the work place whose children had grown up/teens, the bursaries played an important part in that.

I could see a good argument for student loans for both teachers and nurses or other professions where we have difficulty recruiting getting wiped after a decade of service or some such thing. Imaginative and fair.
    I hope the government at least considers targeted bursaries where there are particular shortages locally or in particular specialisms or a time limit on student loan repayment as you say, over to you Mr Hunt
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,478

The belief is that Clive Lewis got the name of the pollster wrong or simply applied UNS from January's ICM national poll.

If he was to win, would this 'mistake' be enough to challenge the result?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,068
    edited April 2017
    Sandpit said:

Gets popcorn for this one! One person you don't want to piss off is Martin Boon.
    Probably extrapolated the Norwich South result from an ICM national poll which sounds about right. Nothing much to see here I'd say
  • Options

Now that really does look like a dodgy bar chart - is it also Fake News?
    Naughty. And expensive, if he has put it on thousands of leaflets yet to be delivered.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

A better approach would be to remove the need for nursing 'degrees' in the first place.
    You would still need to fund the training even if no degree was required
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2017
    First one should be Sunderland South & Houghton, the one held by Bridget Philipson. Then the one held by Sharon Hodgson (Sunderland West and Washington?)
    Pulpstar said:

I don't think Sunderland will be the first to declare. It'll be in recount territory.

• Options

Were UKIP up from the election result in January's ICM ?!
    That would imply a polling score of at least 14 I think.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

Nursing is primarily on the job training anyway. I don't see a need to downgrade (as it will be seen) the profession. Nursing isn't what it was. Much of the work that a nurse did in the past is now down by health care asssitants. Their medical training and specialism is much greater as medicine has developed.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

The second doesn't work because UKIP's score would not have gone up on that basis.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Edit - people are, if i may be so bold, taking the phrase 'don't care about' a little too literally. I'm happy to substitute to 'no longer care about anywhere near as much, thus freeing up magic money tree allocation'.
    People taking other people's words at face value?

Blimey.

Whatever next?
  • Options

If he was to win, would this 'mistake' be enough to challenge the result?
    On what grounds? The cost of printed but unused material can be deducted from the expenses return. Provided he doesn't continue to use stuff after he has been warned by ICM, they aren't going to do anything about it.
  • Options

The second doesn't work because UKIP's score would not have gone up on that basis.
    I think it is the former. You don't publish a fake poll using the pollster's name.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,445
    It'd be be nice to have a first to declare contest - I would punt on Swindon North
  • Options

First one should be Sunderland South & Houghton, the one held by Bridget Philipson. Then the one held by Sharon Hodgson (Sunderland West and Washington?)

Pulpstar said:

Ah, should be a Labour hold. But big swing against.
  • Options

I have no idea why Clive lewis got sacked from the bbc...Taps mic....Sniff sniff...Fake (polling) news.

Wasn't he the guy that phoned 999 to get a comment from the Police about some crime he was trying to report about for the BBC?
This discussion has been closed.