Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Momentum’s cunning plan to change the narrative about LAB’s ch

Comments

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,522
    edited April 2017
    Mr. B2, best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Edited extra bit: at the moment, Manchester Withington, and Richmond Park are still up.
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

justin124 said:

Rod Crosby has made interesting comments on UKPR. He too finds it odd that Corbyn went along with the Dissolution motion,and he is not convinced that May would have tabled a No Confidence Vote had that motion failed to gain 434 votes. He is very confident that the No Confidence Vote would have forced May to resign and that Corbyn would have been asked to form a Government.He cites various precedents - and I agree with him. Effectively Corbyn might have been PM by this weekend - so why did he not go down that avenue? Pure imbecility?

I don't see why May would need to no confidence herself. Had Corbyn's Labour failed to accept the challenge of going to the nation they'd have been humiliated further and May could just continue governing without a ballot, with chicken noises every time a Labour MP ever spoke up again for the rest of Parliament until they accepted an election.
    This humiliation bullshit is for the birds. Do you think Labour would be any less humiliated in the election?

The line should have been: we will abide by the law of the land.
    The law was abided by - it provided an avenue for the calling of an early election.
    Labour could have easily voted against. The motion would not have received 2/3rds majority. Corbyn is a fool.
    It is

So what does he do? Raises the possibility - but then completely rules it out four hours later.

These aren't the actions of an imbecile. They are the actions of someone actively trying to sabotage Labour's chances, or so it seems to me.
    Sean, there is now a trend of anti-politician, like Trump.

Corbyn is simply NOT A POLITICIAN meaning he cannot think on his feet. He is not particularly intelligent.

All his life, he has spoken to small audiences who accepted every word he said. When he became the accidental leader , he blinked at the headlights.
    I know he's dim, but he is surrounded by quite smart people. e.g. Seamus Milne and McDonnell are sinister but they're not cretins. So how are they fucking this up so momentously?

It's odd. Genuinely odd.
    There was another episode a few months back when his office gave the media a hint of what he was going to say. And, next what does the fool do: say exactly the opposite. Probably, it's not very easy for Seamus either.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

New Statesman:

Could the 2017 general election turn Wales blue?
    The Conservatives have a chance to capture both the Leave Labour and the Ukip vote.

Theresa May's bold pitch for a Brexit mandate will likely win significant support in Wales. Almost the entire Welsh political establishment supported Remain here last year. But the Welsh people voted Leave, and the polling evidence suggests that they have not changed their mind. A Brexit-focused campaign could be particularly problematic for Labour in its most iconic Welsh bastions: all of the south Wales valleys voted Leave, many by substantial margins.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/june2017/2017/04/could-2017-general-election-turn-wales-blue

I don't think the Valleys seats will ever go blue. They might have gone purple.

Probably most of the Valleys Labour MPs will hang on this time .,.. their percentage vote reduced yet again. They are waiting for Plaid to finally do what the SNP have already done to SLAB.

The Tories will take the 4 Welsh NE marginals & Bridgend.

But, then its the Newport & Cardiff seats that will come in to play rather than the Valleys seats.

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    surbiton said:

justin124 said:

Rod Crosby has made interesting comments on UKPR. He too finds it odd that Corbyn went along with the Dissolution motion,and he is not convinced that May would have tabled a No Confidence Vote had that motion failed to gain 434 votes. He is very confident that the No Confidence Vote would have forced May to resign and that Corbyn would have been asked to form a Government.He cites various precedents - and I agree with him. Effectively Corbyn might have been PM by this weekend - so why did he not go down that avenue? Pure imbecility?

I don't see why May would need to no confidence herself. Had Corbyn's Labour failed to accept the challenge of going to the nation they'd have been humiliated further and May could just continue governing without a ballot, with chicken noises every time a Labour MP ever spoke up again for the rest of Parliament until they accepted an election.
    This humiliation bullshit is for the birds. Do you think Labour would be any less humiliated in the election?

Yes I do think Labour would be less humiliated in the election.

If Labour turned down the opportunity [however unlikely] of removing the Tories at the ballot box who would be left to support them? So you'd have Corbyn follow up backing Tories over Brexit [this has already happened] with being responsible for keeping May in number 10 rather than go to the polls to replace her?

Lib Dems would have made absolute hay at being the "only opposition" to the Tories and would have become the second largest party within a month.

An election now will be a bad beat for Labour, but like 1997 was a bad beat for the Tories they would eventually recover. Chickening out of an election altogether could be an existential catastrophe that could see Labour fail altogeher. Far worse.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,430
    Alistair said:

If I find the time i will be breaking out the Simple Moronic Analysis Prediction for Scotland (SMAPS) system again.

It is the startlingly accurate, "what if all Indy voters vote for the SNP" approach to Scottish elections. This time I'll add differential turnout variables to it.

Could do one for England and Wales.

Assume all Brexiteers vote for May, and all remainers Farron :p
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

I would suggest a visit to Dagenham might be sensible, en route to withdrawing your life savings from the bank? If it goes Tory, the world really has changed.

We are rather in the midst of an age of seismic political events right now. Besides, Jon Cruddas beat the Tory candidate in Dagenham & Rainham in 2010 by just 2,500 votes - and I would hazard a guess that Jeremy Corbyn is a somewhat less attractive option as a future PM for the people of said constituency than Gordon Brown was.

It requires the Ukip vote to break the right way, of course, but Labour is beatable in this seat.
    Dagenham and Rainham does look a possibility with 54.2% Con/UKIP.

Eltham (51.4 Con+UKIP) looks possible as well.

Westminster N and Erith and Thamesmead aren't unthinkable either. Con/UKIP within 5 of Labour.

If UKIP consolidate behind the Tories and Corbyn is a vote killer then both are feasible.
    They didn't in Stoke though?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,794
    Could we be heading for the funniest election ever? I've just seen a labour spokesman threatening John Snow for asking a question. "I'm not going to answer the questions YOU want me to answer Mr Snow"

I've just seen Marine Le Pen on TV without her Hitler moustache. I hardly recognised her.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,551

Mr. B2, best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Edited extra bit: at the moment, Manchester Withington, and Richmond Park are still up.

RP not on Betfair.

My first question will be what facility they offer to customers who place a bet and subsequently decide that the odds were unreasonable.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583
    edited April 2017
    At what point are the following cards going to be played?

Lab defence policy (whatever it might be) / Corbyn unwilling to press the button
    Corbyn not supporting the Monarchy

These are the two issues which could go Lab support heading seriously further downwards.

Presumably May and the media will hold these back for the campaign proper?
  • Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

If I find the time i will be breaking out the Simple Moronic Analysis Prediction for Scotland (SMAPS) system again.

It is the startlingly accurate, "what if all Indy voters vote for the SNP" approach to Scottish elections. This time I'll add differential turnout variables to it.

Could do one for England and Wales.

Assume all Brexiteers vote for May, and all remainers Farron :p
    As a remainer I will not be voting Farron
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,388
    I've got on at 12 on Betfair for Lib Dems getting fewer than 10 seats. I think there's a high chance of FPTP screwing them over.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,963
    With these preposterously high Tory scores, I wonder if as it becomes more and more 'normal' to vote (or consider voting) Tory in some areas that are not used to it, there will be a moment where even in places previously dead safe people will shift dramatically in a back the winner kind of scenario, and it jumps even further.
    isam said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

I would suggest a visit to Dagenham might be sensible, en route to withdrawing your life savings from the bank? If it goes Tory, the world really has changed.

We are rather in the midst of an age of seismic political events right now. Besides, Jon Cruddas beat the Tory candidate in Dagenham & Rainham in 2010 by just 2,500 votes - and I would hazard a guess that Jeremy Corbyn is a somewhat less attractive option as a future PM for the people of said constituency than Gordon Brown was.

It requires the Ukip vote to break the right way, of course, but Labour is beatable in this seat.

Westminster N and Erith and Thamesmead aren't unthinkable either. Con/UKIP within 5 of Labour.

If UKIP consolidate behind the Tories and Corbyn is a vote killer then both are feasible.
    General elections always work a bit differently, I was staggered how well the Tories did in Eastleigh for instance after getting creamed there in the BE.

Perhaps that doesn't apply this time ?
    We'll see I guess.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Analysis of Sputnik France's Presidential Election coverage:

Sputnik France’s coverage has a number of political biases. It is broadly critical of Macron, while being significantly less critical of Le Pen. Its coverage of Fillon has been more nuanced, but has tended to favor him, especially in its reports on his election chances.

This stance fits the three candidates’ positions on Russia. Fillon and Le Pen are both seen as pro-Kremlin; Le Pen even visited Moscow in late March. Macron is far more pro-EU, pro-Atlanticist, and Russia-skeptic. Thus for the Kremlin, a victory for either Fillon or Le Pen would be better than a Macron win.

https://medium.com/dfrlab/the-french-election-through-kremlin-eyes-5d85e0846c50
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    MikeL said:

At what point are the following cards going to be played?

Lab defence policy (whatever it might be) / Corbyn unwilling to press the button
    Corbyn not supporting the Monarchy

These are the two issues which could go Lab support heading seriously further downwards.

Presumably May and the media will hold these back for the campaign proper?

Being held in reserve as dead cats for deployment as required.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

surbiton said:

justin124 said:

Yes I do think Labour would be less humiliated in the election.

If Labour turned down the opportunity [however unlikely] of removing the Tories at the ballot box who would be left to support them? So you'd have Corbyn follow up backing Tories over Brexit [this has already happened] with being responsible for keeping May in number 10 rather than go to the polls to replace her?

Lib Dems would have made absolute hay at being the "only opposition" to the Tories and would have become the second largest party within a month.

An election now will be a bad beat for Labour, but like 1997 was a bad beat for the Tories they would eventually recover. Chickening out of an election altogether could be an existential catastrophe that could see Labour fail altogeher. Far worse.
    Yes - but if Corbyn were to be dumped next year the new leadership could table its own No Confidence Vote.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,441
    Yvette now fav on BF to be next Lab leader. Presumably Ed announcing not running has made punters think there has been a discuss over the kitchen table.
    Roger said:

Could we be heading for the funniest election ever? I've just seen a labour spokesman threatening John Snow for asking a question. "I'm not going to answer the questions YOU want me to answer Mr Snow"

A pretty funny line indeed. I know some politicians overdo the aggressive response act thesedays (overcompensating for the trend of aggressive interviewers), but that just sounds downright dumb - some politicians, and it isn't a solely Labour thing, really do think it is out of order for people to ask them questions rather than just receive their words without complaint.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,754

New Statesman:

The Conservatives have a chance to capture both the Leave Labour and the Ukip vote.

Theresa May's bold pitch for a Brexit mandate will likely win significant support in Wales. Almost the entire Welsh political establishment supported Remain here last year. But the Welsh people voted Leave, and the polling evidence suggests that they have not changed their mind. A Brexit-focused campaign could be particularly problematic for Labour in its most iconic Welsh bastions: all of the south Wales valleys voted Leave, many by substantial margins.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/june2017/2017/04/could-2017-general-election-turn-wales-blue

Probably most of the Valleys Labour MPs will hang on this time .,.. their percentage vote reduced yet again. They are waiting for Plaid to finally do what the SNP have already done to SLAB.

But, then its the Newport & Cardiff seats that will come in to play rather than the Valleys seats.

If the Tories win by 24%, they'll probably win a majority of Welsh seats, but none of the Valley seats. As you say it's North Wales, Bridgend, then Newport, Cardiff, Ynys Mon and Swansea West, before the Valleys come into play.
  • kle4 said:

With these preposterously high Tory scores, I wonder if as it becomes more and more 'normal' to vote (or consider voting) Tory in some areas that are not used to it, there will be a moment where even in places previously dead safe people will shift dramatically in a back the winner kind of scenario, and it jumps even further.

Like the SNP in Scotland

New Statesman:

Thanks - Bryant losing would have been a 'Portillo moment' but possibly a pleasure deferred.....
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,277
    IanB2 said:

Naughty Betfair seems to have deleted my Wokingham bet.

Wokingham's even more of a dead cert than Aldershot. 1/50 is value there.

Might bet on this election! Hopefully I've learnt enough in the 3-4 years I've been reading this site!

Just do what AlastairMeeks says. It really is that simple.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

Sounds like you’re retreating from your earlier predictions. :lol:
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207
    Guess peeps know Farage isn't running
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,950
    SeanT said:

I know he's dim, but he is surrounded by quite smart people. e.g. Seamus Milne and McDonnell are sinister but they're not cretins. So how are they fucking this up so momentously?

It's odd. Genuinely odd.

Bearing in mind Corbyn voted more often against his own party than David Cameron did, there is a consistency in his madness, even if no method. It does raise the question about the motives of some of his supporters. McDonnell seems to view Corbyn as someone he can manipulate and through him gain a power he would never see on his own account. Milne I don't know.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Alistair said:

junius said:

Which is the best betting company for a political betting newbie ? Best 'free bet' offers etc.

Generally Betfair is best, but often other bookies have a few more unusual markets. Ladbrokes in particular, but PaddyPower too.

It is a bit tricky running multiple accounts, but today I had a windfall win. I had a payout on a 2017 election that I had forgotten about.
    What kind of idiot would back a 2017 election?
    I did it last year. Some of my Brexit ref winnings. A tidy lump of timely stake money.

kle4 said:

Sounds like you’re retreating from your earlier predictions. :lol:
    Not yet. It's a long campaign, and I fully expect the Tory leads to come in a bit, but if it goes the other way, well, I may have to reassess.
    Mr. Floater, indeed. I think he would've stood a decent chance, although perhaps still odds against.
    Floater said:

Guess peeps know Farage isn't running

Plus he has very oddly declared that the GE is really a referendum on Prof. The Lord Nuttall

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage-gives-new-ukip-leader-paul-nuttall-six-weeks-to-prove-himself-a3518966.html

Perhaps a deal with Tessa for a barony in the New Year honours?
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    isam said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

That's true, though it was only a by election.

Look at Reckless for a recent precedent for differing outcomes between a by election and a general election.

Might bet on this election! Hopefully I've learnt enough in the 3-4 years I've been reading this site!

Stick to small amounts at first (or forever) I would say.

Brexit was my most profitable event, into the three figures.

• prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 449
    justin124 said:

I don't agree with Rod Crosby.

Contrary to popular belief the Prime Minister does not have to resign after losing a confidence vote. James Callaghan was the last PM to lose a confidence vote. He did not resign immediately. That would have left the country without a government. He asked the Queen to dissolve parliament and remained as PM until the day after the general election, several weeks after losing the confidence vote.

The FPTA was passed in a time of coalition government. It is reasonable to assume that it envisaged a period of negotiation between the parties following a no confidence vote. During this time the original Prime Minister would remain in place (and may be one of those attempting to form a coalition) and would only go to the Queen to resign when a coalition was formed and it was clear who could command the confidence of the House of Commons.

So, let us imagine the opposition parties had not voted for an election and Theresa May then got her party to pass a vote of no confidence. The Queen always appoints as PM the person most likely to be able to command the confidence of the House. If Theresa May resigned the Queen would have asked her who could command the confidence of the House. Would Theresa May have named Corbyn? I very much doubt it. Could Corbyn command the confidence of the House? Clearly not. So no, I don't think Corbyn would have become PM. I believe Theresa May would have remained as PM unless someone else emerged who could command the confidence of the House (unlikely) and would only have resigned if she lost the subsequent election.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,317
    Why is Le Pen favourite to win the 1st round of French election on Betfair? Am I reading it wrong?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/20/european-parliament-will-welcome-britain-back-if-voters-veto-brexit

European parliament president Antonio Tajani said EU departure process could easily be reversed if there is change of UK government

In accordance with international convention as regards foreign interference in a nation's election process, Tajani should keep his big mouth out of our affairs.
    Strange, it's not like the EU has form .... oh
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,441
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

It's odd. Genuinely odd.

Bearing in mind Corbyn voted more often against his own party than David Cameron did, there is a consistency in his madness, even if no method. It does raise the question about the motives of some of his supporters. McDonnell seems to view Corbyn as someone he can manipulate and through him gain a power he would never see on his own account. Milne I don't know.
    Well, Milne finally giving in and letting go of his 'secondment' from the Guardian was a spectacularly badly timed career move surely, as I expect neither Yvette or Lisa will want him.
    chestnut said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

Look at Reckless for a recent precedent for differing outcomes between a by election and a general election.

True

Blimey, if Dagenham goes Tory that really will be something extraordinary. Strange times!
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

Farage not standing must surely encourage any remaining UKIP supporters to back Con.

It's as if he is unofficially endorsing her.

UKIP could be down to 5% in the polls soon, Tories over 50%.
    That occurred to me today, too

A result of

Con: 50
    Lab: 23
    Lib: 11
    UKIP: 5
    Green: 5

when Baxtered, produces

Tories: 429 seats
    Labour: 124
    Others nowhere

And a majority of 218

But I suspect the calculus stops working with such extreme results, the same way thermometers stop working at 400C or whatever
    At that point, you may get Labour on 90-100 seats.
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Usually you would expect stratospheric Tory ratings to depress their vote as people treat it as a foregone conclusion and/or recoil from giving them too large a majority. However this election clearly is unusual because they have a powerful single argument that a large majority is necessary to deliver Brexit. And it seems plausible that this could make the usual norms moot. As we saw in Scotland last time, FPTP can "break down" when there is one single issue that cuts across social groups and classes and potentially renders past voting patterns moot. I think it is likely that most former Conservative voters will stick to the party regardless of their position on Brexit, but Leaver from other parties will switch in droves. Labour's hope in this election must be that their safest seats will endure because their usual voters will stay at home rather than switch. But if they switch...

BTW, a minor point - but the referendum obviously voted in a significant upswing in registered voters (from previous non/unregistered voters). These people will presumably still be on the list whereas in a few years they might have dropped off.

Why is Le Pen favourite to win the 1st round of French election on Betfair? Am I reading it wrong?

Supporters more certain to vote, I imagine, and had long time been in the lead.
    Mr. Gate, I don't know. She's been favourite for a little while, I think. It's quite counter-intuitive.

Also, I agree with Mr. kle4. Bet with small stakes and (even if Captain Moneybags) only bet what you can afford to lose.
    isam said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

Article 50 makes a difference, but I think I get your point. There is residual dislike of the babyeaters, enough to see a fair number of Labour MPs survive. I suspect that will mostly be by fighting as "independent" Labour.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,317
    kle4 said:

Despite the polls showing Macron in the lead? Maybe this could be my first political bet! :smiley:

No. This is how you make money on political betting. See the obvious and back it (Macron)

kle4 said:

Despite the polls showing Macron in the lead? Maybe this could be my first political bet! :smiley:
    Probably will work out better than my first political bet - Ken Livingstone to win the 2012 mayoral election. Made on the night too, I was such a fool.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    chestnut said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

I think Darlington in 1983 is perhaps more pertinent given the similar context in that a very unpopular Labour leader is up against a government that is high in the opinion polls. A chap called Michael Fallon no less lost the by-election only to be elected MP for Darlington a short time later! He moved on after 1992 and the reversion of the seat back to Labour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlington_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,202

I've got on at 12 on Betfair for Lib Dems getting fewer than 10 seats. I think there's a high chance of FPTP screwing them over.

I think that's entirely possible, as there are a lot of Tory/LibDem marginals, and the Tories are up more than the LibDems. The correct odds are probably between 6-1 and 8-1.
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Probably will work out better than my first political bet - Ken Livingstone to win the 2012 mayoral election. Made on the night too, I was such a fool.
    Politicalbetting.com was born on the back of an ultimately ridiculous looking London Mayoral bet...
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

No. This is how you make money on political betting. See the obvious and back it (Macron)
    Political Betting truly destroys the efficient market hypothesis.

Macron has had the lead in recent polls, BF has shortened a bit. Was 3.55 just the other day.

Macron as next president at 1.77 looks good. He is pretty certain to make the top 2, then win comfortably.

No further French polls from tommorow as I recall.

• AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    surbiton said:

I am hoping for a 58 - 1 win for the SNP. The one will be Orkney and Shetland.

The SNP will lose at least 5 seats IMO and maybe as many as 10.
    isam said:

chestnut said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

True

Blimey, if Dagenham goes Tory that really will be something extraordinary. Strange times!
    In Stoke, I don't think right wing voters knew if it was better to back the Tories or UKIP. Now, they're converging on the Tories (Yougov has 42% of UKIP voters from 2015 going Conservative, 5% of the voters). Dagenham isn't that different from Thurrock or Castle Point.
    rcs1000 said:

I think that's entirely possible, as there are a lot of Tory/LibDem marginals, and the Tories are up more than the LibDems. The correct odds are probably between 6-1 and 8-1.
    Best cover is the over/under market at 31.5 with PP, as it covers nearly all plausible LD outcomes.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Off topic, I have spent the day in hospital because of chest pain. Fortunately, not a lung clot or heart attack but I will be taking some time off work to get well properly. After many years of very intensive hard work and, latterly, a lot of buggeration by senior management (of the type with which @DrFoxnsox and @ydoethur are probably sadly all too familiar) I am utterly exhausted. Someone else can catch the baddies for a bit.

Still, the care from the doctors and two delightful paramedics was second to none and I always feel guilty at taking up their time. A&E was reasonably quiet. I expect all the drunks and drug addicts were at work. Probably in the City.

And I whiled away the waiting hours on here. Slightly surprised to find that commenting on a graph makes one pompous and patronising. But there you go: being attacked by @malcolmg and @roger probably counts as some sort of rite of passage on here.

One election thought from me: I am not a particular May fan but that picture of her a couple of weekends ago acting as a marshall in a race in her constituency probably sums up her appeal. Like so many people she was doing one of the very many small, unsung, unpaid, unglamorous, unheralded acts of kindness, charity, volunteering, help, what you will, of the type which lots and lots of us do to make life better. And on Monday morning also get up and do the day job. And that, in part, is why I think she - dull and dutiful as she may be - resonates with so many.

She is the Dorothea * of British politics. (* Middlemarch)

Just a thought.

One small ray of happiness (for me, at least) is that my Mme Alfred Carriere rose is already blooming. It's the earliest this has ever happened, my previous record being April 23rd. There are so many buds this summer will be glorious in the garden. I hope so anyway.

And there is Tosca at the Ulverston music festival in June to look forward to - on June 7th.

Anyway, need to be kind to myself for a bit.

Au revoir.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    AndyJS said:

surbiton said:

SMAPS will show the way.

Aschcrofts Scotland constituency polling was pretty accurate, he got Edinburgh South almost perfect.
    Anyway, must be off. Bit of an up and down few hours, with marvellous tips, but the very best of them getting cancelled. Cheers everyone, particularly Mr. Pulpstar.
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,464
    edited April 2017

New Statesman:

Cardiff West, Cardiff South and Penarth, Bridgend, and the two Newports all have biggish Kipper votes to squeeze that are more than or close to the Labour majorities, add in some swing given recent national polls ( which I still can't quite believe !) and there's marginals where none have existed for decades if ever (Cardiff West and Newport West and Bridgend were Tory in 83. Cardiff South is Callaghan's old seat). Bridgend is the most likely ( it includes posher Porthcawl note), the others much less so.

Cardiff Central is a straight Lab Lib fight. Lab won it last time with a 4-5k majority. It's the remainiest seat (70%) in the remainiest city (60%) in Wales. Could be tight but suspect Lab might scrape it as they did in the Assembly election last year.

If it really is really really bad for Labour a real long shot is Torfaen (i.e. Pontypool and Cwmbran). It's a Valleys seat, but is the eastern most valley bordering the Newports and safe Tory Monmouth. Labour vote not as monolithic as further west (Cwmbran is a new town) Tories second and UKIP just behind with a big chunky vote. If that collapsed....... It would truly be end of days for Labour if they lost Torfaen but hey that it's even on the far edge of any remote possibility is mad.
    Remain is dead. This new election will see the final death rattles of a corpse that has been twitching on the slab since last June. Around the country there are voters anxious to know whether their democratic right, and the decision they made last year to leave the EU, might be stolen from them by politics as usual.

There were fears that Brexit could be overturned in a shady backroom deal, or through the applications of sneaky lawyers. Voters ignored in countless elections could have been forgiven for wondering if the forces of bureaucracy would find a way to stop Britain freeing itself from the EU. Theresa May has ensured that this will not happen, and that the result will be honoured. This general election is the closest Remainers will ever get to a second referendum on 8 June, and they are going to be bitterly disappointed by the outcome.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/20/brexit-become-unstoppable-theresa-may-killing-remain-good/
    Thoughts and best wishes to Cyclefree.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206
    Cyclefree said:

Off topic, I have spent the day in hospital because of chest pain. Fortunately, not a lung clot or heart attack but I will be taking some time off work to get well properly. After many years of very intensive hard work and, latterly, a lot of buggeration by senior management (of the type with which @DrFoxnsox and @ydoethur are probably sadly all too familiar) I am utterly exhausted. Someone else can catch the baddies for a bit.

Still, the care from the doctors and two delightful paramedics was second to none and I always feel guilty at taking up their time. A&E was reasonably quiet. I expect all the drunks and drug addicts were at work. Probably in the City.

And I whiled away the waiting hours on here. Slightly surprised to find that commenting on a graph makes one pompous and patronising. But there you go: being attacked by @malcolmg and @roger probably counts as some sort of rite of passage on here.

One election thought from me: I am not a particular May fan but that picture of her a couple of weekends ago acting as a marshall in a race in her constituency probably sums up her appeal. Like so many people she was doing one of the very many small, unsung, unpaid, unglamorous, unheralded acts of kindness, charity, volunteering, help, what you will, of the type which lots and lots of us do to make life better. And on Monday morning also get up and do the day job. And that, in part, is why I think she - dull and dutiful as she may be - resonates with so many.

Just a thought.

One small ray of happiness (for me, at least) is that my Mme Alfred Carriere rose is already blooming. It's the earliest this has ever happened, my previous record being April 23rd. There are so many buds this summer will be glorious in the garden. I hope so anyway.

And there is Tosca at the Ulverston music festival in June to look forward to - on June 7th.

Au revoir.

best of luck Cyclefree

feel free to lurk and drop in the occasional pearl of wisdom we'll miss you

come back soon
    Cyclefree said:

Just a thought.

Au revoir.

Best of luck. You're right about May.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,202
    AndyJS said:

surbiton said:

Two or three to the LibDems, and probably a similar number to the conservatives. Do you see any labour gains?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,335
    edited April 2017
    The uk in 2019 if jezza wins....

A huge wave of protest has swept the country over the past three weeks, with voters angry over Venezuela's economic collapse, surging food prices and shortages.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4429882/Venezuelans-face-police-anti-government-protests.html
  • BudGBudG Posts: 711
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

The certainty to vote argument does not hold as much water now as it once did. Resolve is hardening as we get closer to the election.

The Harris poll yesterday gave the following certainty to vote numbers:

Fillon 85%
    Le Pen 84%
    Macron 79%
    Melenchon 73%

And being a long time in the lead is not really a good reason for her being favourite if she has lost that lead over the past month and all the momentum has been in a downward direction.

It is a mystery as to why she is considered more likely to top the poll. I am guessing people have just become accustomed to her being certain to be in the final round, but even that is not a foregone conclusion. In the latest Harris poll today, she is a lot nearer to dropping out on sunday (being just one point in front of Fillon) than she is to overhauling Macron ( a 3 point gap)
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,586
    edited April 2017
    @Cyclefree

Sorry to hear you are ill, hope you get well soon. I have been having similar problems in the last month for very similar reasons and told to cool it down as well (trying desperately to make up for staff shortages by teaching double classes taking my de facto load to 26 hours a week wasn't a great idea? Who'd a thunk it)? Unfortunately a limit to what can be done three weeks before exams but I have taken the last fortnight off and done a lot of intensive landscaping of the garden. It has helped and I hope your roses have the same effect.
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Political Betting truly destroys the efficient market hypothesis.
    I think the EMH only says that markets tend to become efficient over time: so e.g. Wall Street was inefficient two generations ago and you could make money by looking at company accounts and identifying mispriced shares, whereas now there is no point because all the company accounts have had the shit analysed out of them by 50 different teenage scribblers and the info is already in the price. Political betting is indeed in a golden age of inefficiency atm, but it may not last forever.
    edited April 2017
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

True

In Stoke, I don't think right wing voters knew if it was better to back the Tories or UKIP. Now, they're converging on the Tories (Yougov has 42% of UKIP voters from 2015 going Conservative, 5% of the voters). Dagenham isn't that different from Thurrock or Castle Point.
    Maybe... I am sure Labour have all the councillors in Dagenham though, whereas UKIP have the most in Thurrock

Open to being proved wrong though. As a local it just seems crazy to think of Dagenham as a Conservative place. Labour is doooomed!

In 2014 labour won 51/51 council seats. & ukip were runner up in 50!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barking_and_Dagenham_London_Borough_Council_election,_2014
    Imagine if Corbyn is actually PM on June 9th.
    Cyclefree said:

Just a thought.

Au revoir.

Take it easy. I have had a lovely week in the garden, with a good footy match* and election to keep me occupied at tea breaks.

It may be those London diesel smogs. Get out of the Great Wen to recover.

*Juve look unbeatable to me. Shutting out Barca at home is a real feat. I reckon they will win the final 1 nil.
    Sean_F said:

Last one out please remember the turn the lights off.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Sean_F said:

The polls have been wrong before...!

Sean_F said:

We'll all be too busy dodging the flying pigs to notice...
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,950
    Cyclefree said:

Just a thought.

Au revoir.

Sorry to hear your unwell Cycle. Hope you feel better soon and will still come back to visit us occasionally. :)
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,359
    May is not Dorothea. She is too cold.

• Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

No need, there will be country wide blackouts and a 3 day week...
    O/T

BBC: 2 police officers shot in central Paris.
    Get well soon @Cyclefree x
    F##king fake news

Wikipedia's 'Ban' of 'The Daily Mail' Didn't Really Happen

Earlier this year, The Guardian reported that editors at Wikipedia had "voted to ban the Daily Mail as a source for the website," calling the publication "generally unreliable." Two months later, not only previous Daily Mail citations on Wikipedia pages are still alive, several new ones have also appeared since.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/325209
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,950
    SeanT said:

You are a model of politeness, insight and clarity on here. Rough types like me and malcolmg need nice people like you to keep pb in check.

Every community needs a bit of light and shade...

SeanT said:

The most frightening thing is that my reaction to that is: a shrug. The New Normal.
    As Sadiq says, it's part and parcel of living in a big city... and why I don't!
    Oh FFS not another attack in France.
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,464
    @Cyclefree

Get well soon.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,359
    Get well soon Cyclefree. Take a break.
    Cyclefree said:

Just a thought.

Au revoir.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery - and while May has some of the characteristics of Dorothea fortunately she's made a happier match! Anne Eliot (Persuasion) also springs to mind!
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,463

Macron has had the lead in recent polls, BF has shortened a bit. Was 3.55 just the other day.

Macron as next president at 1.77 looks good. He is pretty certain to make the top 2, then win comfortably.

No further French polls from tommorow as I recall.

Agreed. The latest poll shows him lengthening his first round lead, while the other three are closer than ever:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election,_2017

Best wishes to Cyclefree - rest and enjoy the rose!

Sean_F said:

I suppose I should bet on a Labour victory, as a form of insurance.
    Attacker is luckily dead.
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

surbiton said:

Two or three to the LibDems, and probably a similar number to the conservatives. Do you see any labour gains?
    No. There could of course be a freak result somewhere like Lab gain East Lothian from SNP. IMO the Tories could pick up 8 seats from the SNP if things go particularly well for them: Berwickshire, Dumfries, Aberdeenshire West, Moray, Perth, Aberdeen South, Renfrewshire East, Edinburgh South. Angus is probably just out of reach.
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I suppose I should bet on a Labour victory, as a form of insurance.
    Don't bet in pounds cos they will be worthless.
    SeanT said:

FFS the guy in Paris apparently had an AK-47. In central Paris. A submachine gun.

Where are you getting the information from?
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2017

isam said:

chestnut said:

IanB2 said:

Article 50 makes a difference, but I think I get your point. There is residual dislike of the babyeaters, enough to see a fair number of Labour MPs survive. I suspect that will mostly be by fighting as "independent" Labour.
    Dagenham had a very Brexity feel to it when I worked around there three years ago.

The 'old Labour' fabric was being dismantled by population movement - "people being given £30,000 by "X" (Labour) London council to move out here" was one of the things I vividly recall. No idea of the veracity of that claim.

• AndyJS said:

O/T

BBC: 2 police officers shot in central Paris.

Do you have any more news?- family and I are on holiday in Paris at moment

SeanT said:

FFS the guy in Paris apparently had an AK-47. In central Paris. A submachine gun.

These policemen - does anyone know if they are shot dead or shot and wounded? BBC isn't being very informative
    edited April 2017
    ydoethur said:

SeanT said:

These policemen - does anyone know if they are shot dead or shot and wounded? BBC isn't being very informative
    One dead, one badly injured. Attacker dead.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,794
    Get well soon cyclefree. You're the acceptable face of Brexit so look after yourself. There aren't many others. If you're not out by election day I'll come and visit you!

ydoethur said:

SeanT said:

One dead, one badly injured.
    The shooter also reportedly shot.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2017-04-20/reports-of-police-officers-injured-in-shooting-in-paris/

ydoethur said:

SeanT said:

One dead, one badly injured.
    Thank you. Not good news.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

My computer it says "No"

All good wishes to @Cyclefree
    edited April 2017
    Greens are narrow favourites in Bristol West according to Betfair Sportsbook.

https://www.betfair.com/sport/politics
This discussion has been closed.