Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May breaks her word and calls an early general electio

Comments

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Excellent move by May. She needs a mandate to carry out the necessary measures.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TimRoss_1: Sir Lynton Crosby hired for Theresa May's general election campaign, after delivering surprise win for Cameron in 2015, source says.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    GIN1138 said:

Seems we have a self confessed liar as PM wanting to call an early GE for no reason other than party political advantage . What a partisan disgrace the Conservative party is .

She's seeking democratic mandate from the public. I'd have thought you, as a Liberal Demorcrat, would agree.

And look at it this way. You now have one last opportunity to stop Brexit! Put your case before the country and if the Lib-Dems win a majority we could actually stay in the EU! :open_mouth:
    Yes I remember the last time a Conservative PM tried to seek a democratic mandate through an unnecessary GE on who governs Britain , Ted Heath lost .
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Unless she spells out what the necessary measures are, she won't have a mandate for them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149
    GIN1138 said:

She's seeking democratic mandate from the public. I'd have thought you, as a Liberal Demorcrat, would agree.

And what will be in her manifesto? A long laundry list of demands from the EU. That's just using the voters as human shields for her charge of the light brigade in Brussels.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    I'm not sure about this.

But isn't it often said that Labour loses support in general election campaigns ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,502

Ladbrokes has a couple of markets up. Backed UKIP to be under 10% of votes, at 1.66.

Not sure about Lib Dems 10-20% at 1.72. Worried they may exceed that (20%+ is 4).

3/1 on the LibDems beating 20% is an excellent bet
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    GIN1138 said:

Seems we have a self confessed liar as PM wanting to call an early GE for no reason other than party political advantage . What a partisan disgrace the Conservative party is .

And look at it this way. You now have one last opportunity to stop Brexit! Put your case before the country and if the Lib-Dems win a majority we could actually stay in the EU! :open_mouth:
    You joke, but imagine a scenario where pro Brexit parties got 65% of the vote, and anti Brexit got 35%. But the LDs + the SNP got 626 seats between them.

That would be a constitutional mess.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So election held, Tories take 40 seats from Labour but lose 42 to the Lib Dems. What then?

Worse tories take 40 seats rom Labour and the Lib Dems take 52 from the Tories. What then???
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    rkrkrk said:
    There's little gain for the existing crop of MPs. Already governing party, guaranteed a job for next few years. More influence over govt because of smaller majority.

Election means risk of losing seat for some. For others it means loss of influence. And for all concerned it means seven weeks of campaigning earlier than expected, which can't be much fun.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445

So we could have a Labour leadership election for the third year in a row.

How exciting.

The added interest is that it will be only the few survivors of the apocalypse who can stand!
    How fast can David Miliband end his NY job?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Clearly, May and her team have given this a lot of thought, and taken a lot of soundings.

This achieves a lot for Theresa May, and for Labour, and for the Lib Dems:

(1) It should rid Labour of the far Left, and Corbyn - even if they have to lose 50 extra MPs in the process, it allows their recovery to start three years earlier. At least they will survive. And a decent opposition comes forward. I will be watching to see what Ed Balls does now (he was in the Sunday Times, and I still have him at 66/1 to be next Labour leader)

(2) It allows May to isolate the 20-30 tungsten-tipped Brexiteers in her own party, plus strengthen her own negotiating mandate, plus Salisbury-convention proof her new manifesto so the Lords can't vote down changes on grammar schools, international aid etc.

(3) It allows Farron to make healthy gains at the expense of the Tories

(4) It *should* weaken the SNP slightly in Scotland, given their moves on IndyRef2, and they will want to manifesto proof it anyway.

I'd expect an early election to get at least 500 MPs in favour in the Commons tomorrow.

I'm not convinced the LDs will gain more seats from the Tories than from Labour.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

If May can so easily U-turn on this, then she is clearly going to have no qualms doing a U-turn over those "necessary measures".
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

@TimRoss_1: Sir Lynton Crosby hired for Theresa May's general election campaign, after delivering surprise win for Cameron in 2015, source says.

WOW....I thought he said never again. Also, I just can't see potty mouthed Lynton getting on well with Tessie.

But if he has, there isn't going to be a person in the country that won't have heard of Jezza and McMao's dodgy pasts in 7 weeks time.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

DavidL said:

Can't help but be a bit disappointed about this. A major part of TM's USP was that she was looking to deal with problems in the national interest. We have 23 months now to agree a deal with the EU and we are effectively not going to have a government for 3 of them? How is that in the national interest?

I could understand the temptation of the polls and the desire for her own mandate but this seems a mistake to me and my guess is that it won't be quite the spectacular victory it looks like it should be right now.

Nothing much is going to happen until the French and German elections are out of the way. She's taken the one window of opportunity she had, and this will greatly strengthen her hand because she'll be able to negotiate without having to worry about fighting rearguard actions in the Commons.
    The difference is that her own MPs can get her out of office more easily than opposition MPs can. She is just going to add to her cabal of enemies on the benches behind her.
    I think you miss-judge the Tory party. If Mrs May delivers them a landslide it will give her an aura of unassailablilty that will take some time to fade.

Indeed, it would give her a hero status within the party that Mr Cameron never managed. One would hope that she does more with such a majority than Blair ever did; but with Brexit to deal with, that's more or less guaranteed, one way or the other.
  • Options
    Seems like UKIP now has a reason to be as well. Vote UKIP to guarantee Brexit.

Maybe my 500/1 is live.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @rowenamason: Spoke to senior Lab MP in a blind panic- mulling whether to vote against, whether possible to oust Corbyn in time [think answer is no]
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The feeble fifty look like a juicy prey.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408

DavidL said:

Can't help but be a bit disappointed about this. A major part of TM's USP was that she was looking to deal with problems in the national interest. We have 23 months now to agree a deal with the EU and we are effectively not going to have a government for 3 of them? How is that in the national interest?

I could understand the temptation of the polls and the desire for her own mandate but this seems a mistake to me and my guess is that it won't be quite the spectacular victory it looks like it should be right now.

Hard to argue that Indyref2 is impossible during Brexit but a GE is.
    It is inevitable that the SNP will make Indyref2 a part of their manifesto. When they win 50 seats it is going to be impossible to resist. It probably was anyway in the longer run but May risks losing control of the timing here.
  • Options
    Labour at about 25% now.

I reckon six weeks of Corbyn on live TV and nightly news will knock another 5 off. They are looking at a 20% floor if lucky.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921
    So what will Labour and Lib Dem position be on Brexit?
    Single market? EEA?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Local elections going ahead apparently.

Of course. The process is already started.

Having local elections when everyone KNOWS that a GE is coming, rather than just suspects (as was often the case in the 80s) is a unique situation. If the national parties are already in full campaigning mode by then, any local factors are going to get swamped by national noise and the locals will provide a remarkable half-time score for the election to come.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I wonder how many of the small number of Tories who lost their seats to Labour in 2015 are thinking about winning them back again, ie. Dewsbury, Wirral West, Chester, Ealing Acton.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Sean_F said:

Here's your opportunity to defeat Brexit.
    I said earlier it looked like the LDs were frit. General elections are not so easy as by-elections.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. B2, maybe...

If the yellows were starting from a higher base it'd be a dead cert. They still have a good chance, but I'm not sure. Think I'll sit that out. Might bet on seat numbers when they come up.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Says uber partisan Mark Senior

I on the other hand can see several reasons for her doing this
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Chris_A said:

What a great opportunity for lots more LibDems who will put the country first and not their party.

This election is going to be about giving the Prime Minister a mandate to deliver the best deal for the UK in its negotiations with Brussels. The LibDems risk being painted in this election as the party of Rejoin. At best, they will be looking like they are chewing wasps, being an impediment to the best deal for Britain - and holding back the democratic will of the people.

It might not play out as well as you hope....
    The people who see it that way will be voting for Blukip anyway.
    She has a mandate, it's just one with enough Remainers in the HoC and a small enough majority to ensure very active scrutiny of most proposals, which she hates.

I don't see what good it does to move from a useless opposition to a shell-shocked opposition. If one defines 'elected dictatorships' as a majority of >50, we've had one of these for 22 of the 37 years since 1979 (1983-92, 1997-10). Key indicators such as the current a/c deficit and the housing shortage are worse than ever.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Democratic mandate for what?
  • Options
    So what should we set the line at for the number of times Jezza has a total meltdown during a tv interview over the next 7 weeks?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Scott_P said:

WOW....I thought he said never again. Also, I just can't see potty mouthed Lynton getting on well with Tessie.
    He was probably more than a bit tempted by the prospect of setting some sort of record for booting Labour up the arse.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,849
    Scott_P said:
    April - May: 'June'... might have been pithier.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

So election held, Tories take 40 seats from Labour but lose 42 to the Lib Dems. What then?

Worse tories take 40 seats rom Labour and the Lib Dems take 52 from the Tories. What then???

I think we can have a guess at 40 seats the Conservatives can take from Labour.

But what are the 42 or 52 seats the LibDems can take from the Conservatives ?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Alistair said:

I think those numbers are unlikely, more like 10-15 lib dem gains max, if that.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    May to make Downing Street statement
    Theresa May makes No 10 statement
    Hundreds suing NHS over vaginal implants
    First living giant shipworm found
  • Options

If May can so easily U-turn on this, then she is clearly going to have no qualms doing a U-turn over those "necessary measures".
    She's a politician, an increasingly formidable one.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited April 2017
    Dadge said:

bobajobPB said:

This election is good news all round. Particular for Brexit negotiations – May will no longer be in truck to the frothing far right and will be able to deal sensibly.

Meanwhile, Corbyn must be pressed on whether he will resign if defeated. If he says no to that question, he will look pathetic*

*Even more so than usual

My heart sinks at the thought of Corbyn "fighting" the election. Not just because of him and his lack of nous and oomph and skills, but because the media will make it about him and will drone on endlessly about how bad he is and how left-wing he is and how people don't rate him and whether he'll resign. I'm dreading it. It was bad enough with Miliband.

Which reminds me, Labour showed a distinct lack of balls at the last election. Will they manage to correct this in the next few weeks? I doubt it.

A Bacon Butty and an Ed Stone damaged him so badly. But those paper attacks are going to look very gentle compared to the onslaught Corbyn will face.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    FF43 said:

Alistair said:

So, wait, what if the SNP stand on a "Vote SNP for IndyRef2" platform and get 40+ MPs?

Vote SNP for Indyref2 and against a hard Brexit. They will clean up Scottish seats on a FPTP basis and Theresa May will have quite a lot of trouble with it. The SNP can reasonably claim a mandate from the Scottish electorate for their Indyref stance, and do so much more easily than they could with a Holyrood election.
    As the Tories look likely to sweep to a 100+ seat majority - Scotland's voters minds will be focused by this !! - I think today's moves will only strengthen the case for an IndyRef2 sooner rather than later.
  • Options

Labour at about 25% now.

I reckon six weeks of Corbyn on live TV and nightly news will knock another 5 off. They are looking at a 20% floor if lucky.

I think luckily for Labour their brand is still surprisingly strong. I am sure they will get 25% despite Jezza. However, he will probably do a good bit of damage for the brand for the future.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883

Scott_P said:
    A difficult one for former Scottish Labour, unionist voters. Do they vote for the SNP to prevent adding to a massive Tory majority or for the Tories to break up the SNP dominance ahead of a second Independence referendum.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

I reckon that this could be a big breakthrough for the Lib Dems if Labour continue to support Brexit, as then the 'Inners' will only have one way to go. For what it is worth a know more than a few Tories that will probably hold their nose and vote Lib Dem to abort Brexit.

On the other hand I could have been tempted to vote lib dems and would certainly have done so in locals... BEFORE their shameless positioning on Brexit against the will of the people and their own stated position in the past.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    if UKip haven't got the candidates, they wont get 11% at the GE....
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    So it is an election, as my wife keeps telling me "what do you know"
    One would think the Cons would win easily, but the two 1974 elections both started in that way, February Cons walk it, October Labour walk it. In both cases never happened.
    The elephant in the room is I suppose Mr Corbyn. There is an opportunity for Farron, particualrly in the TV debates.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    jonny83 said:

Dadge said:

bobajobPB said:

This election is good news all round. Particular for Brexit negotiations – May will no longer be in truck to the frothing far right and will be able to deal sensibly.

Meanwhile, Corbyn must be pressed on whether he will resign if defeated. If he says no to that question, he will look pathetic*

*Even more so than usual

My heart sinks at the thought of Corbyn "fighting" the election. Not just because of him and his lack of nous and oomph and skills, but because the media will make it about him and will drone on endlessly about how bad he is and how left-wing he is and how people don't rate him and whether he'll resign. I'm dreading it. It was bad enough with Miliband.

Which reminds me, Labour showed a distinct lack of balls at the last election. Will they manage to correct this in the next few weeks? I doubt it.

A Bacon Butty and an Ed Stone damaged him so badly. But those paper attacks are going to look very gentle compared to the onslaught Corbyn will face.
    And unlike the Mail's rather dodgy attack on Ed via his father's views....with Jezza they have a rammed packed virgin train full of stuff from his very own mouth.

Plus, I doubt the BBC or Guardian are going to be interested in trying to be sympathetic to defending the Labour leader from the Mail being nasty.

In fact what papers are going to back Labour this time? Morning Star and...?
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited April 2017
    Theresa May says in her statement that she's calling a general election because of a) the SNP and b) the House of Lords. Apparently the "game-playing" will jeopardise the form that Brexit takes if she doesn't get a bigger Tory majority in the Commons.

How awake does a person have to be to realise that her stated reason is a complete load of crap? Never mind that she lied in the past. She is lying now.

A general election is unlikely to change the number of SNP MPs by much, and even if it did, so what? And it won't change the composition of either the Scottish Parliament or the House of Lords one iota. And she's got a majority at the moment. Only Tory MPs can get rid of that majority - by voting against her, by crossing the floor of the House, or by getting replaced in by-elections. None of those possibilities have anything whatsoever do with the SNP or the House of Lords.

The Kremlin and the White House will love this general election. Europe is being destabilised.

"Division in Westminster will risk our ability to make a success of Brexit". That's funny. I thought that division in Westminster was exactly how parliamentary democracy was meant to work.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Yes I remember the last time a Conservative PM tried to seek a democratic mandate through an unnecessary GE on who governs Britain , Ted Heath lost .
    Ted called an election in the fourth year of his government.

So did Thatcher. Twice.

We'll soon see which one May is most like.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Floater said:

Says uber partisan Mark Senior

I on the other hand can see several reasons for her doing this
    I can see the reasons too !! They are the same reasons that existed when May lied repeatedly months ago .
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,680

Alistair said:

In their wildest dreams, the top out for the Lib Dems would be about 30 gains from the Tories. And, to match a 2005 type tally, the Tories would have to be on their way out of Government.

But, we live in unpredictable times.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Good to see the practical end of that last nasty vestige of the LibDems in Coalition, the FTPA.....
  • Options
    Got on the 2017 General Election bet last year. Many thanks to whichever PB-er suggested it.
  • Options

So we could have a Labour leadership election for the third year in a row.

How exciting.

Thank god Corbyn in charge or their vote might have collapsed to single figures

TM deluded Abbott.
  • Options
    So if this was 2020 then Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk would be a nailed on 100% cast iron get on at any price guaranteed fact Con Gain.

But this special Brexit General Election (we should totally calls this a BGE) throws that into doubt. The rump Lib Dem who I would have been sure would switch to Con to get the SNP out I'm suddenly not so confident on.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

*Even more so than usual

He has just been asked and he refused to comment on his future if he loses
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Tessie has gone up in my estimation as a politician.

May + Team Crosby vs Jezza + Team Seamus....It is like Real Madrid playing at home to a team of shoeless goat herders from rural Spain.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I think those numbers are unlikely, more like 10-15 lib dem gains max, if that.
    Oh, sure, my numbers are pure fantasy but I think there is danger here in May wanting this as a rock solid mandate.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I wonder how many of the small number of Tories who lost their seats to Labour in 2015 are thinking about winning them back again, ie. Dewsbury, Wirral West, Chester, Ealing Acton.

I wonder if we'll see Nick Palmer as an emergency Labour candidate in Broxtowe.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Scott_P said:
    A difficult one for former Scottish Labour, unionist voters. Do they vote for the SNP to prevent adding to a massive Tory majority or for the Tories to break up the SNP dominance ahead of a second Independence referendum.
    The Scots don't want another referendum, the Nats are well overdue a punishment beating.
  • Options

Alistair said:

In their wildest dreams, the top out for the Lib Dems would be about 30 gains from the Tories. And, to match a 2005 type tally, the Tories would have to be on their way out of Government.

One factor may be differential turnout between hard-core Remainers vs Brexiteers. The former will be far more determined to make their vote count.
  • Options
    DeafblokeDeafbloke Posts: 69
    calum said:

FF43 said:

Alistair said:

So, wait, what if the SNP stand on a "Vote SNP for IndyRef2" platform and get 40+ MPs?

Vote SNP for Indyref2 and against a hard Brexit. They will clean up Scottish seats on a FPTP basis and Theresa May will have quite a lot of trouble with it. The SNP can reasonably claim a mandate from the Scottish electorate for their Indyref stance, and do so much more easily than they could with a Holyrood election.
    As the Tories look likely to sweep to a 100+ seat majority - Scotland's voters minds will be focused by this !! - I think today's moves will only strengthen the case for an IndyRef2 sooner rather than later.
    So why aren't the SNP calling for one for June 8th? What is Sturgeon afraid of? Or are they not serious about independence?
  • Options

Does everyone accept that the Brexit vote was not enough of a mandate then?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

if UKip haven't got the candidates, they wont get 11% at the GE....

Will they stand against any MPs who went Leave in 2016? They can't even put up someone against Ken Clark - he is standing down....
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,680
    Another point on the Lib Dems: they don't have the resources or troops to fight everywhere, having been so hollowed out 2 years ago.

They might do very well off the back of the national campaign, though. Places like Bath and Twickenham will be very vulnerable to them.
  • Options
    Hampstead & Kilburn will be interesting. Tories haven't won it since 1987 (ignoring the boundary changes).
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Short incumbency in Manchester Gorton.

• Options
    Can we just get rid of Fix Term Act now, because it is clearly a total waste of time.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,040

So what should we set the line at for the number of times Jezza has a total meltdown during a tv interview over the next 7 weeks?

He might rise to the occasion. #swingforward
  • Options
    Gorton by election is going ahead.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    LOL...Barry Gardiner spinning that Labour have proposed 8 new policies and polling shows they are really popular....so popular that Labour were 21% behind!!!!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    AndyJS said:

Hampstead & Kilburn will be interesting. Tories haven't won it since 1987 (ignoring the boundary changes).

They should walk it this time. The LDs will take a lot of Labour votes.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125

fitalass said:

I cannot see how she will get it through on the FTPA.

If Labour MPs agree half of them will lose their seats. Why would the Nats agree? They have been told that IndyRef2 is post Brexit so 2019 or 2022 depending.

If she fails to get her election then SHE has to go. What an utter shambles it could all be.

But May will have the backing of all her MPs, especially now as it puts the boundary changes on hold until another future GE? And she has totally pulled the rug from under Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP at Westminster. What are they going to do, vote to keep the current Tory Government insitu when they are trying to use the argument of continuing Tory Government at Westminster as a reason to vote Independence.

I didn't see this coming, and I bet neither did Corbyn and his team, this is the last thing Corbyn wanted and he is going to struggle with this GE campaign. He was never planning to hang around long enough to lead Labour through one.
    Well then, why does he simply not say that this wrong during Brexit and instruct his MPs to vote against? That would leave May having to resign and the Tories in turmoil from which they would take months to recover.

If Corbyn loses MPs and then fails to resign then Labour is finished.
    CCHQ called in nightshift I see, is Carlotta on vacation
  • Options
    Paging Lord Ashcroft: any constituency polls this time? I hope so.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Dura_Ace said:

He might rise to the occasion. #swingforward
    I think this is a face we might be seeing rather often in the coming 7 weeks....except Monday's when he takes a day off.

• Options
    Apparently there was recent polling on Ian Murray standing as an Independent "Stop Brexit" candidate in Edinburgh.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Will George "three jobs" Osborne stand in Tatton is another interesting question.
  • Options

Mr. B2, maybe...

If the yellows were starting from a higher base it'd be a dead cert. They still have a good chance, but I'm not sure. Think I'll sit that out. Might bet on seat numbers when they come up.

Given the mountain of the voting system, I think betting on votes is the safer bet. In the large majority of shire Tory-held seats, Labour is going to get slaughtered, and the non-Tory minority have no-one else to vote for.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125

JonathanD said:

Alistair said:

So, is TMay going to spell out Brexit negotiating terms then, otherwise what the heck are we voting for?

You are voting to show your trust in May.
    Which must scare the other parties shitless....
    scares me shitless that there are numpties out there that actually trust her
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited April 2017
    OK Crosby, is it:
    Corbyn the dangerous, IRA/Hamas sympathiser who send us back to 1970s oblivion or
    Corbyn the dim, jam-making, useless, can't control his own party, etc.

I think I know the answer...
  • Options
    Artist said:

Will George "three jobs" Osborne stand in Tatton is another interesting question.

Three Jobs? Has he resigned from 3 others already?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    justin124 said:

I think it could be the moment that her mask slipped and begins to be seen as a cynical ,slippery politician no different to the likes of Cameron & Blair.

Who won elections.

I'm in agreement with Foxinox about INdyref - it cannot be the case that you can have a GE disrupt the negotiations but not an INdyref.

Also agree that Corbyn is a decent performer in debates - he could surprise.

May has done a poor job justifying this on the grounds of a changed situation, but that Corbyn has picked up the gauntlet nullifies the partisan accusation a little, though not completely.

Also, is she advocating abolishing the Lords? She cited 'unelected' lords as a block on brexit causing difficulty, an election won't change that unless she is planning to do something with them.
  • Options

Alistair said:

One factor may be differential turnout between hard-core Remainers vs Brexiteers. The former will be far more determined to make their vote count.
    OR..... The interesting thing will be whether those who voted in June 2016 but otherwise sit on their hands will turn out to give May the security of knowing she can deliver Brexit. And I think that will be a very determined focus of the campaign. If so, high turnout could tip some startling seats the Tories way...
  • Options
    Artist said:

I'm hearing rumours he might not stand.

I've gone all Queen Victoria after Albert died.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Have there been any reactions from Euroland?

Are they convinced yet that the UK has gone totally mad?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

They should walk it this time. The LDs will take a lot of Labour votes.

Outside chance for the LibDems I'd say. Could be a good bet. Most of the seat is uber-Remain land.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Can we just get rid of Fix Term Act now, because it is clearly a total waste of time.

It was put in place to provide stability and reassurance to the coalition partners. Fair to say it has now run its course, but personally I preferred the idea in principle.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Short incumbency in Manchester Gorton.

It's not going to happen now.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

OK Crosby, is it:
    Corbyn the dangerous, IRA/Hamas sympathiser who send us back to 1970s oblivion or
    Corbyn the dim, jam-making, useless, can't control his own party, etc.

I think I know the answer...

It will be less Jezza the harmless wolfie smith, more than the former.

Coming to a billboard near you....Jezza in the pocket of Gerry Adams.
  • Options

As I have been banging on about for ages. It is the biggest load of b*llx in a long, long time, as was obvious from the moment Osborne dreamt it up. May has simply proved the case. Get rid of it.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    SeanT said:
    "A film should start with an earthquake, and then the stress should continuously increase". A Hitchcock (apparently).
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Will she resign if her majority stays the same size?
This discussion has been closed.