Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May breaks her word and calls an early general electio

Comments

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883

The smart play from Corbyn now would be to resign with immediate effect. That would give Labour MPs credible reasons to vote against an early general election. Obviously, Corbyn is not smart so he'll be resigning on 9th June instead. But the good news is that we are going to get a functioning opposition rather sooner than expected.

It'll be an irrelevant opposition if they're facing a party with a 150+ majority
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,294
    Of course, this will be yet another GE fought on 650 seats rather than 600....I wonder if we will ever see the reduction in seats?
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    BudG said:

Biggest obstacle to an election might be the Lords

The Lords can't block it. Under the FTPA it simply requires a vote on the Commons.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Floater said:

PClipp said:

She doesn`t really know what to do now, so she chickens out. The really has put the country in a dreadful mess.

care to explain ?

The explanation is: PClipp is a 15-year-old Lib Dem.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

May's nature would suggest she has been brooding on this for a while, and didn't just get up in the morning, see Labour's worst ever opposition poll rating, and decide to go for it.

Think it is more than that. The left in her party would stop Grammar Schools, the opposition would play havoc with the Brexit legislation and of course the problems with the electoral commission are over.

Just amazing politics
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    justin124 said:

I am rather hoping that Labour refuses to play ball here!

i thought you kept telling us the position for labour is much better than the polling shows.

Now we get to see exactly how popular hard left , Islamic thug loving Corbyn and co are
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Ken Clarke for the off ?

Happy days.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445

Of course, this will be yet another GE fought on 650 seats rather than 600....I wonder if we will ever see the reduction in seats?

QTWTAIN
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @gabyhinsliff: Instant Farron statement - vote libdem if you don't want a hard/any Brexit - vs 'not quite sure when Labour will respond'.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Fenster said:

How many of the Lab MPs who voted for Corbyn to stand in the Lab leadership election are likely to lose their seats?

Kat Smith for one.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    May - the politicians' politician.

May - the generals' general.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

The smart play from Corbyn now would be to resign with immediate effect. That would give Labour MPs credible reasons to vote against an early general election. Obviously, Corbyn is not smart so he'll be resigning on 9th June instead. But the good news is that we are going to get a functioning opposition rather sooner than expected.

As long as Lab hold Islington North, Corbyn probably won't be resigning.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Remainers have their second referendum. If the country elects 326 strongly pro-Europe MPs they could reverse Brexit.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Wonder about the campaign finances here. Conservatives must be in pretty good shape (though no busing people in this time lol). Labour and the others can't be in good shape.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    She has spared the Labour Party another three years of Corbyn etc. They should be thanking her.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2017

No. if the investigated candidates are convicted later, they'll still have to resign. Of course, that will be a minor annoyance if the government majority is 200.

But if the danger is significant (which is hard to judge from the outside), the most at-risk candidates might withdraw.
  • Options
    I've stuck in an update
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107

What makes you think there'll be a functioning opposition? The labour party is devoid of ideas, principles and a potential leader, the only thing that will change is Corbyn.

Same horse different jockey
  • Options

Hopefully your party will sort out its hard left and anti semitic problems.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    All that supposed secret polling showing Lib Dems doing well against Tories on the narrative of anti-Brexit...either it was bollocks or May has thought bring it on.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    malcolmg said:

justin124 said:

I am rather hoping that Labour refuses to play ball here!

They would be sensible to leave Tories on the Brexit hook, come 2020 and UK is facing a bleak future after dire Brexit , Labour could do well.
    leave off the Turnip flavour IrnBru malc, it's clouding your judgement
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

BudG said:

Biggest obstacle to an election might be the Lords

The Lords can't block it. Under the FTPA it simply requires a vote on the Commons.
    Ahhh.. thanks for clarifying that
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    jonny83 said:

Chance this might backfire with the public? She gave her word there wouldn't be and she has gone back on it even it makes sense to do so with brexit negotiations being affected by having a small majority.

It's possible, but most people won't have noticed that there was a pledge. Labour might try to bring it up but I wouldn't be confident in their ability to make it stick - especially as they'll have to agree in order for it to happen.
  • Options
    Will the local elections in May be postponed until June to coincide with the general election?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    In better news (For my finances)

http://opinionlab.opinion-way.com/opinionlab/832/627/presitrack.html

Macron 23
    Le Pen 22
    Fillon 20
    Melenchon 19
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. Rising, that assumes Corbyn resigns. He might stay on.
  • Options
    Tim Shipman‏ @ShippersUnbound 5m5 minutes ago

May has gone for a seven week campaign. Governments well ahead normally keep it short. Just how many Corbyn/IRA stories do they have?
  • Options
    felix said:

Fenster said:

How many of the Lab MPs who voted for Corbyn to stand in the Lab leadership election are likely to lose their seats?

Kat Smith for one.
    Margaret Beckett, MP for Derby South

Kelvin Hopkins, MP for Luton North

Labour will be killed in midlands/SE marginals
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

IanB2 said:

Go LibDems - first out of the gate with a reaction!

I wonder when Labour's National Executive Press Release sub committee is next due to meet?

Paddy Power‏Verified account @paddypower 8m8 minutes ago
    More
    Jeremy Corbyn is in for a shock when he wakes up in 45 minutes. #GeneralElection
    ROFL
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997

Well, that's an eye-opener.

I'm surprised she didn't wait till after the local elections, like Maggie.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,501
    Fenster said:

The left wingers generally have the safer seats, especially in London, but this is of course a Remain area. The Tories aren't the only party whose position on Brexit will come under scrutiny over the next couple of months,..
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    jonny83 said:

Wonder about the campaign finances here. Conservatives must be in pretty good shape (though no busing people in this time lol). Labour and the others can't be in good shape.

ScottP Fasial Islam just said on Sky Labour's finances were in good shape now. Or perhaps they have pulled a Gordon Brown and all the debt is now off the books.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    May will try to write all of her demands of the EU into the manifesto thinking that it means they'll be forced to give in. It's completely reckless and designed to create division.
  • Options
    And to think Mike and I thought PB would be dominated by the French Presidential election this week.
  • Options

May will try to write all of her demands of the EU into the manifesto thinking that it means they'll be forced to give in. It's completely reckless and designed to create division.

It is called leadership
  • Options
    Surprised about Tom Blenkinsop - he must know he has no chance. For a Labour MP he was one of the more sane.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    jonny83 said:

May has gone for a seven week campaign. Governments well ahead normally keep it short. Just how many Corbyn/IRA stories do they have?

Well if they run out of those...they have Hamas....Hezbollah...Press TV...Morning Star....Venezuela....then when they have run out of those, they can move onto ...McMao ..... then .... Seamus ..... then .... Abbott....
  • Options

felix said:

Fenster said:

Kat Smith for one.

Labour won't lose Luton North but Derby South is possible.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    May can now be called a barefaced liar!
  • Options
    @Sean_Kemp: A one issue election where the Lib Dems are the only party with a clear position to go against the Tories. It's tough, but an opportunity.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

David Macmillan‏ @bbcdmacmillan

Labour's @TomBlenkinsop announces he will not seek re-election as MP for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland.

The first of many such announcements I suspect, moderate PLP must be relieved it’s all over.
    Yes May's going to euthanise many a political career.
  • Options
    I see the BBC is back to its habit of already repeating an announcement only made a few minutes ago.

Perhaps no-one is answering the phone at Labour HQ?
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Blinking heck!

Gutted by this news - we just booked 2 weeks summer holiday in Italy starting on 7th June last night. I can get a postal vote of course, but this would have been one election all nighter I might have relished. I'll have to follow it all on my phone on PB on dodgy hotel wifi....

I really hope this doesnt backfire, but you can see why she's done it. I think the LDs will take southern England seats off the Tories - so can the Tories take any more off Labour than they managed in 2015, regardless of what the polls say?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Remember reading that Adam Boulton predicted that May would call for an early GE btw.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148

It is called leadership
    Leadership not grounded in reality is dangerous.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    One party State here we come - sad sad times for our democratic country.

Tories to win a majority of 152.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited April 2017

Test
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Good point. Seems odd, unless something to do with FTPA stuff?
  • Options
    Greens welcome election.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This is actually good news for Labour. If Jeremy Corbyn had another year in office, the Lib Dems might make serious inroads in Remain heartlands. But they're out of time and should now remain safely Labour.

The timing is dictated by the EU negotiations. Nothing will happen before June and after that date Britain can't spare two months from the negotiation timetable.
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: labour will vote with govt tmrw to hold general election
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    labour will vote with govt tmrw to hold general election
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Scott_P said:

LOL, total morons.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

You are sounding desperate there short straws....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

felix said:

Fenster said:

Kat Smith for one.

Derby South is indeed well possible.

Near me I think there are some seats which one would assume would be pretty much Labour forever there they aren't safe:

Don Valley, Rother Valley, even Bolsover...

NE Derbyshire out and out gonner.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Woah! Looks like it's going to happen then!
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    justin124 said:

So far, LDs and Greens have welcomed the news. It will be hard for the liar narrative to gain traction, even if it is true. I think she will get away with this u-turn. It's not really going to anger enough people to be an issue.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Looks like May is a brilliant general.

Clausewitz's Principles of War

•Surprise
    ◦Attack when the enemy least suspects it

•Mass
    ◦Get there first with the most

•Objective
    ◦Choose an objective and stick with it

•Offensive
    ◦Seize the Initiative

•Manoeuver
    ◦Move to more advantageous positions

•Unity of Command
    ◦Place your entire force under the command of a single entity

•Security
    ◦Don't let the enemy rob you of your advantages

•Simplicity
    ◦Keep your plans clear and simple

•Economy of Force
    ◦Allocate your limited forces wisely
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978

Blinking heck!

Gutted by this news - we just booked 2 weeks summer holiday in Italy starting on 7th June last night. I can get a postal vote of course, but this would have been one election all nighter I might have relished. I'll have to follow it all on my phone on PB on dodgy hotel wifi....

I really hope this doesnt backfire, but you can see why she's done it. I think the LDs will take southern England seats off the Tories - so can the Tories take any more off Labour than they managed in 2015, regardless of what the polls say?

It will be a Labour bloodbath in the Midlands, for certain.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    I'm disappointed May is handing Labour a lifeline.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Dont forget anti semitism and the Islamist links

Brutal will be an understatement.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Scott_P said:

Glad to see that despite tripe being discussed on the matter for years, it is simple to get around the FTPA.
  • Options
    Paul Flynn in Newport W is another vulnerable left winger, although he might stand down.
  • Options

Blinking heck!

You need to make sure you are in front of the telly when with tears streaming from his eyes Dimblebore announces the Tories take Bootle...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

This is actually good news for Labour. If Jeremy Corbyn had another year in office, the Lib Dems might make serious inroads in Remain heartlands. But they're out of time and should now remain safely Labour.

The timing is dictated by the EU negotiations. Nothing will happen before June and after that date Britain can't spare two months from the negotiation timetable.

Yes, right on both points.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The only thing Corbyn's done that I agree with.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

It's my girlfriend's birthday on June 8th.

#IHateTheresaMay

What? GE day itself is the quietest day in the entire political cycle.
  • Options
    Good news (?) for punters is the local elections will give some real data to compare with polling.

Cambridge to return to yellow from red should be a key battleground.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

And how about your confidence that the opposition wouldn't vote for an election?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 912

She has spared the Labour Party another three years of Corbyn etc. They should be thanking her.

Are you sure that the replacement (who?) will be any better?
  • Options

#IHateTheresaMay

Are you still dating a Corbynista? Is so, could be a bit of a tricky evening !
  • Options
    Well she's got more balls than Gordon Brown & he had Ed
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,022
    AndyJS said:

felix said:

Fenster said:

Kat Smith for one.

Hopkins was one of the few Labour Eurosceptics and his constituency voted Leave. If the EU is seen as being of any importance at the election I can't see him losing.
  • Options

Blinking heck!

You were accurate about this area in 2015 - what makes you so confident this time, beyond the opinion poll evidence that is?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    On recent polls the only seats outside London that Labour will hold outside London south of the Severn and the Wash are Oxford East, Luton North and maybe Norwich South and Bristol West.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

You do seem to be upset - its politics
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 912
    Scott_P said:
    Well a slightly shorter suicide note this time!
  • Options
    Also means that the EU can't use a 2020 GE as leverage for Brexit negotiations.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I wonder how big the Remain/Leave split will figure in the election.

If it figures a lot, then my current seat (heavily Remain City of Chester) could be closer to a Labour win than my old seat (heavily Leave Ellesmere Port), despite the latter being much safer on paper.
  • Options
    So, is Osborne standing?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

The chance for the LDs is that this will be a 100% brexit election in a way that a 2020 would not. That favours parties with distinct positions on Brexit, and could help give the LDs momentum.

They need to go for simple Norway soft brexit to have a chance of attracting a large chunk of the remainer vote though. Any Stop Brexit platform will have too small a pool of voters.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Mortimer said:

justin124 said:

And how about your confidence that the opposition wouldn't vote for an election?
    I think you'll find he was always at war with Eastasia.
  • Options
    It would make sense to move the local elections to 8th June to avoid a low turnout caused by people having to vote twice in a few weeks.
  • Options

On recent polls the only seats outside London that Labour will hold outside London south of the Severn and the Wash are Oxford East, Luton North and maybe Norwich South and Bristol West.

I think Bristol is a place where Corbyn will do well.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,022
    UKIP are having a small breakdown on social media. Lots of complaints about how many seats they have no candidates for. I can see them losing a fair bit of support to the Tories o June 8th.
  • Options

It is called leadership
    Leadership not grounded in reality is dangerous.
    Except when it's the EU leadership, then everything they do is ok in your eyes

I would say this is the smart thing to do for several reasons - one of which is giving her a stronger position to get us brexit - which of course is why you are squealing like a stuck pig
  • Options
    I'm not feeling confident about my charity bet with Mr Meeks on Gisela...
  • Options
    Floater said:

jonny83 said:

Dont forget anti semitism and the Islamist links

Brutal will be an understatement.
    The LibDems will be polling above 20% quite soon
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,921
    A May Corbyn debate?
    I wonder...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    May's announcement was super weak as an explanation for her U-turn. None of her reasons, regarding the political game playing, were not true months ago.

I hope all those 'May has given her word and that's that' people will see how silly that attitude was though. It was always the case that if she thought it was worth it she would do it, and I thought she'd been sensible in deciding it was not.

If Labour vote for dissolution then fine, but if they have to go the no confidence route, manipulating the system for partisan advantage, then shame on May.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It would make sense to move the local elections to 8th June to avoid a low turnout caused by people having to vote twice in a few weeks.

Can the Gov't do that ?

I've already booked the 5th off ffsake.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    felix said:

Blinking heck!

You were accurate about this area in 2015 - what makes you so confident this time, beyond the opinion poll evidence that is?
    People in the Midlands haven't forgotten the IRA attacks. With Corbyn's IRA sympathizing especially in the past and the papers reminding them a lot are not going to vote Labour. It's not the only reason but it's a factor.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

One party State here we come - sad sad times for our democratic country.

Tories to win a majority of 152.

I remember your tears in 1997 - oh
  • Options

So, is Osborne standing?

Him resigning would make my day.

But the man in the white suit standing against him and winning would make my year....
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

UKIP are having a small breakdown on social media. Lots of complaints about how many seats they have no candidates for. I can see them losing a fair bit of support to the Tories o June 8th.

My heart bleeds.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,029
    Ishmael_Z said:

#IHateTheresaMay

What? GE day itself is the quietest day in the entire political cycle.
    +1. Nothing will occur until 23:00 so plenty of time for a decent meal out....
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Paul Waugh‏VERIFIED ACCOUNT @paulwaugh 2 mins2 minutes ago

It's on. Corbyn: "I welcome the PM's decision to give British ppl chance to vote for a Govt that will put the interests of the majority 1st"

No way he couldn't chicken out of it.
This discussion has been closed.