Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May breaks her word and calls an early general electio

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,501
    It's done - Labour is backing it too
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Mortimer said:

I'm not feeling confident about my charity bet with Mr Meeks on Gisela...

I was glad it was for charity. I thought you were exceptionally generous giving me evens.

But you could yet win.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    IanB2 said:

Floater said:

jonny83 said:

Tim Shipman‏ @ShippersUnbound 5m5 minutes ago

May has gone for a seven week campaign. Governments well ahead normally keep it short. Just how many Corbyn/IRA stories do they have?

Dont forget anti semitism and the Islamist links

Brutal will be an understatement.
    The LibDems will be polling above 20% quite soon
    I predict this will be a very good election for the Lib Dems.

There will be a large pro-EU, anti-Brexit, anti-Tory protest vote out there which won't want to back Lab under Corbyn..... and the Lib Dems are perfectly placed.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445
    Icarus said:

She has spared the Labour Party another three years of Corbyn etc. They should be thanking her.

Are you sure that the replacement (who?) will be any better?
    If (a big if) Corbyn goes there will be a new leader before McD can get his nomination motion thru conference i.e. will not be hard left person.

This is why I think Corbyn will stay on under pressure from McD, at least until October.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: labour will vote with govt tmrw to hold general election

LOL, total morons.
    POPCORNTASTIC!!!!!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited April 2017
    jonny83 said:

felix said:

Blinking heck!

Gutted by this news - we just booked 2 weeks summer holiday in Italy starting on 7th June last night. I can get a postal vote of course, but this would have been one election all nighter I might have relished. I'll have to follow it all on my phone on PB on dodgy hotel wifi....

I really hope this doesnt backfire, but you can see why she's done it. I think the LDs will take southern England seats off the Tories - so can the Tories take any more off Labour than they managed in 2015, regardless of what the polls say?

It will be a Labour bloodbath in the Midlands, for certain.
    You were accurate about this area in 2015 - what makes you so confident this time, beyond the opinion poll evidence that is?
    People in the Midlands don't forget the IRA attacks. With Corbyn's IRA sympathizing especially in the past and the papers reminding them a lot are not going to vote Labour. It's not the only reason but it's a factor.
    It isn't just Corbyn either, the Tories can paint McMao the same way, plus the likes of Seamus has some voter repellent views.

If the Tories want to go negative, it is fish in a barrel. And that speech it sounded like she is quite happy to grind Team Jezza into the ground.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

It would make sense to move the local elections to 8th June to avoid a low turnout caused by people having to vote twice in a few weeks.

Can the Gov't do that ?

I've already booked the 5th off ffsake.
    I've already voted !
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Scott_P said:
    That could help the Tories to retake the seat.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    AndyJS said:
    Derby South, Don Valley, Torfaen, Ashfield, Arfon, Bassetlaw, Penistone and Stocksbridge.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Are we going to get TV debates?
  • Options
    Corbyn surely hoped never to face the relentless pressure of a GE
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Mortimer said:

Will she even stand?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    This may also have a big impact on the mayoral elections. I'm not sure the Labour candidates who have been trying to distance themselves from Corbyn will enjoy this.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

So it's TMay that saves Labour from Corbyn.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058

Of course, this will be yet another GE fought on 650 seats rather than 600....I wonder if we will ever see the reduction in seats?

Doesn't look like it. Which is a shame, as the boundaries really do need updating.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Mortimer said:

So, is Osborne standing?

Him resigning would make my day.

But the man in the white suit standing against him and winning would make my year....
    what's wrong with George. He did a great job in difficult circumstances
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    felix said:

Scott_P said:
    If they want to.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

This is actually good news for Labour. If Jeremy Corbyn had another year in office, the Lib Dems might make serious inroads in Remain heartlands. But they're out of time and should now remain safely Labour.

The timing is dictated by the EU negotiations. Nothing will happen before June and after that date Britain can't spare two months from the negotiation timetable.

I do think it offers unexpected hope for the Labour party.

They are in such dire straits that throwing the whole deck of cards in the air does at least offer a chance that their position will be different afterwards, and that holds out the possibility that different will be better.

There might even be some quite unexpected Labour MPs elected (if fed-up people stand down and they're obliged to scratch around quickly for a candidate) and a future Leader/PM candidate might be one of them.
  • Options

On recent polls the only seats outside London that Labour will hold outside London south of the Severn and the Wash are Oxford East, Luton North and maybe Norwich South and Bristol West.

I think Bristol is a place where Corbyn will do well.
    The Bristol seat breakdowns for the referendum are available on wikipedia. Bristol W was massively remain, while S, E and NW were only just remain. S and E are much more working class seats with previously sizeable UKIP votes
  • Options
    Sky are showing a YouGov poll with Tory 21% lead claiming a "new poll out this morning". I presume that is the one we already knew about, rather than a 3rd 21% lead poll.

LOL...Sky already talking about Tories likely attack lines...IRA...Hezbollah....
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

Will she even stand?
    I'd expect her to win.
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_P said:
    He will be the Tory
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    8th June means that students will not have gone home.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Floater said:

jonny83 said:

Tim Shipman‏ @ShippersUnbound 5m5 minutes ago

May has gone for a seven week campaign. Governments well ahead normally keep it short. Just how many Corbyn/IRA stories do they have?

Dont forget anti semitism and the Islamist links

Brutal will be an understatement.
    The LibDems will be polling above 20% quite soon
    Err - the Lib Dems have problems in at least one of those areas too.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,022

UKIP are having a small breakdown on social media. Lots of complaints about how many seats they have no candidates for. I can see them losing a fair bit of support to the Tories o June 8th.

My heart bleeds.
    My thoughts as well. :)
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited April 2017
    Wow !!!

I think Peter from Putney has been betting on this happening.
  • Options
    More importantly.
    On behalf of the Party of Pubgoers:
    Will @stodge be organizing another piss up in the Finborough Arms?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

On recent polls the only seats outside London that Labour will hold outside London south of the Severn and the Wash are Oxford East, Luton North and maybe Norwich South and Bristol West.

I think Bristol is a place where Corbyn will do well.
    The Bristol seat breakdowns for the referendum are available on wikipedia. Bristol W was massively remain, while S, E and NW were only just remain. S and E are much more working class seats with previously sizeable UKIP votes
    The Corbynista mayoral candidate who campaigned as Corbyn's man won easily in Bristol (although the existing independent mayor wasn't very popular).
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited April 2017
    You heard the term here first: BRELECTION.

It is horrible but will probably be used
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    kle4 said:

Of course, this will be yet another GE fought on 650 seats rather than 600....I wonder if we will ever see the reduction in seats?

Doesn't look like it. Which is a shame, as the boundaries really do need updating.
    On the plus side, we won't be dealing with swing from notional results, so profit-making should be a bit safer.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    There'll be a lot of university seats that a partially depopulated by the 8th June.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2017
    Assuming that she does get at least a good working majority, this is excellent news for the prospects of a reasonable deal with the EU (which is why the pound has just risen).
  • Options
    Curtis on BBC
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    wasd said:

There'll be a lot of university seats that a partially depopulated by the 8th June.

I don't think so. Most unis run for a couple more weeks.
  • Options
    felix said:

Blinking heck!

Gutted by this news - we just booked 2 weeks summer holiday in Italy starting on 7th June last night. I can get a postal vote of course, but this would have been one election all nighter I might have relished. I'll have to follow it all on my phone on PB on dodgy hotel wifi....

I really hope this doesnt backfire, but you can see why she's done it. I think the LDs will take southern England seats off the Tories - so can the Tories take any more off Labour than they managed in 2015, regardless of what the polls say?

It will be a Labour bloodbath in the Midlands, for certain.
    You were accurate about this area in 2015 - what makes you so confident this time, beyond the opinion poll evidence that is?

The IRA.

• Options

Sky are showing a YouGov poll with Tory 21% lead claiming a "new poll out this morning". I presume that is the one we already knew about, rather than a 3rd 21% lead poll.

LOL...Sky already talking about Tories likely attack lines...IRA...Hezbollah....

There are others, oh boy are there others too :-)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    AndyJS said:

It would make sense to move the local elections to 8th June to avoid a low turnout caused by people having to vote twice in a few weeks.

Is that possible?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Plenty of them will have. I remember finishing in may pretty much
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    wasd said:

That's May week in Cambridge, and they're the first to go home I thought. Right at the fag end of the year, but the students will be there.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    kle4 said:

The proposed update is a dog's breakfast – it's a mercy for all concerned that this ludicrous plan has now twice been stopped in its tracks.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Phil McCann‏ @phi1mccann

Chester MP Chris Matheson tells me he will vote against a snap general election. His majority is 93 - most marginal Lab seat in the country.

He's so f***ed.....
  • Options

Assuming that she does get at least a good working majority, this is excellent news for the prospects of a reasonable deal with the EU (which is why the pound has just risen).

Yep - it does reduce the influence of the swivel-eyed brigade. Unless a lot of the new Tory MPs are swivel-eyed, too, of course.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Floater said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: labour will vote with govt tmrw to hold general election

LOL, total morons.
    POPCORNTASTIC!!!!!
    The old ‘Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas’ adage just took one hell of a beating…!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,847
    justin124 said:

May can now be called a barefaced liar!

Perhaps... but on the positive side, she can no longer accurately be called a pound-shop Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Yep, June 8th is middle to end of the exam period. Student numbers will be down.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,153

If Ben Bradshaw stands again he will be bloody tough to move out of Exeter. But I understand he wanted out 2 years ago and had to be prevailed upon to stand again. One to watch.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Re students...A more interesting question is how many will be registered? They are at home at the moment, then they have exams when they get back.

They aren't exactly known for being pro-active at getting registration sorted, even when the SU's nagged them daily about it.
  • Options

Vote 4 May 8 June

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    The election could be in the middle of the honeymoon for President Macron. Perhaps a boost to the Lib Dem campaign.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @gompertz: Key economic figures announced in June - inflation, jobs and trade - will all be released AFTER the 8th June election
  • Options
    wasd said:

Plenty of time for them to get a postal vote.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited April 2017
    I cannot see how she will get it through on the FTPA.

If Labour MPs agree half of them will lose their seats. Why would the Nats agree? They have been told that IndyRef2 is post Brexit so 2019 or 2022 depending.

If she fails to get her election then SHE has to go. What an utter shambles it could all be.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

Icarus said:

She has spared the Labour Party another three years of Corbyn etc. They should be thanking her.

Are you sure that the replacement (who?) will be any better?
    If (a big if) Corbyn goes there will be a new leader before McD can get his nomination motion thru conference i.e. will not be hard left person.

This is why I think Corbyn will stay on under pressure from McD, at least until October.
    The McD amendment is unlikely to go through in any case, less still given the creaming the Far Left are about to take at the hands of the public. And the unions will kick Corbyn out before then, I should have thought*

*I am assuming a semblance of sanity in the Labour movement, which might be unwise.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    edited April 2017

wasd said:

I don't think so. Most unis run for a couple more weeks.
    Aberystwyth exams finish on the 6th - and a good number of students will have cleared off before then. And Ceredigion is a LD/Plaid marginal.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125

malcolmg said:

justin124 said:

I am rather hoping that Labour refuses to play ball here!

They would be sensible to leave Tories on the Brexit hook, come 2020 and UK is facing a bleak future after dire Brexit , Labour could do well.
    leave off the Turnip flavour IrnBru malc, it's clouding your judgement
    You know me Alan , always on the ball. You heard it here first.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    Can't help but be a bit disappointed about this. A major part of TM's USP was that she was looking to deal with problems in the national interest. We have 23 months now to agree a deal with the EU and we are effectively not going to have a government for 3 of them? How is that in the national interest?

I could understand the temptation of the polls and the desire for her own mandate but this seems a mistake to me and my guess is that it won't be quite the spectacular victory it looks like it should be right now.
  • Options
    Decent opinionway out for Macron today, on 23 (+1) and now ahead of Le Pen (22).

Fillon back to 20.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

If Labour MPs agree half of them will lose their seats. Why would the Nats agree? They have been told that IndyRef2 is post Brexit so 2019 or 2022 depending.

If she fails to get her election then SHE has to go. What an utter shambles it could all be.

Corbyn has just backed May's call for a GE. Laura K has tweeted that Labour will vote with the government. It's happening.
  • Options

If Ben Bradshaw stands again he will be bloody tough to move out of Exeter. But I understand he wanted out 2 years ago and had to be prevailed upon to stand again. One to watch.
    Even Norwich S could be at risk
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    eek said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It's my girlfriend's birthday on June 8th.

#IHateTheresaMay

What? GE day itself is the quietest day in the entire political cycle.
    +1. Nothing will occur until 23:00 so plenty of time for a decent meal out....
    Mind you the rest of the night may not go entirely according to plan!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Corbyn has just backed May's call for a GE. Laura K has tweeted that Labour will vote with the government. It's happening.
    Well, it doesn't necessarily mean his backbench MPs will follow suit.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    We will be back to the 10pm wait for the latest YOu Gov no doubt
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,153
    Does Carswell rejoin the Tories today?
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    What a great opportunity for lots more LibDems who will put the country first and not their party.
  • Options

Does Carswell rejoin the Tories today?

Apparently he has been out and about supporting a Tory candidate over Easter.
  • Options

We will be back to the 10pm wait for the latest YOu Gov no doubt

Or is we get a new insider leaking them early ;-)
  • Options

Even Norwich S could be at risk
    To the Greens you mean?
  • Options
    Enough will vote with the government for it to pass.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

But May will have the backing of all her MPs, especially now as it puts the boundary changes on hold until another future GE? And she has totally pulled the rug from under Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP at Westminster. What are they going to do, vote to keep the current Tory Government insitu when they are trying to use the argument of continuing Tory Government at Westminster as a reason to vote Independence.

I didn't see this coming, and I bet neither did Corbyn and his team, this is the last thing Corbyn wanted and he is going to struggle with this GE campaign. He was never planning to hang around long enough to lead Labour through one.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Presumably on the old boundaries?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    DavidL said:

Can't help but be a bit disappointed about this. A major part of TM's USP was that she was looking to deal with problems in the national interest. We have 23 months now to agree a deal with the EU and we are effectively not going to have a government for 3 of them? How is that in the national interest?

I could understand the temptation of the polls and the desire for her own mandate but this seems a mistake to me and my guess is that it won't be quite the spectacular victory it looks like it should be right now.

Nothing much is going to happen until the French and German elections are out of the way. She's taken the one window of opportunity she had, and this will greatly strengthen her hand because she'll be able to negotiate without having to worry about fighting rearguard actions in the Commons.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,803

How many Labour MPs stand to lose their seats on current polling? I think a lot of them will be packing up and won't bother to stand. Would they rebel against their "leadership" and vote against the motion? I am not sure they have the energy for that.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Is that possible?
    I don't see how - the timetable has now already started and people have already been nominated and are actively campaigning
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Danny565 said:

Well, it doesn't necessarily mean his backbench MPs will follow suit.
    Yes, that's why I said Laura K tweeted that Labour will vote with government, as opposed to just Corbyn's statement. Plus, some of those who stand to lose out from an early GE simply won't stand, as we've seen already.
  • Options
    Might be worth keeping an eye on how many Tory MPs stand down, especially the ones under expenses investigation.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Absolutely, there are no new boundaries. What I don't know is whether the BC can continue the current review after a GE or whether the GE forces them to start all over again.
  • Options
    Interesting...Australia doing a Trump.

Australia to introduce stricter rules on working visas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-39626389
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,680
    Pulpstar said:

Enough will vote with the government for it to pass.
    She wouldn't have made the announcement without taking soundings.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    IanB2 said:

Corbyn is. Wil Labour MPs?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Will we get tv debates?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,803
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Yes, the new boundaries aren't ready yet.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    edited April 2017

DavidL said:

Nothing much is going to happen until the French and German elections are out of the way. She's taken the one window of opportunity she had, and this will greatly strengthen her hand because she'll be able to negotiate without having to worry about fighting rearguard actions in the Commons.
    The difference is that her own MPs can get her out of office more easily than opposition MPs can. She is just going to add to her cabal of enemies on the benches behind her.
  • Options

Makes the investigations into the 2015 election spending somewhat pointless.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Good timing for Mr Neil and co to return after Easter; on any second now. Edit/ although it looks as if Andrew is taking a longer break
  • Options
    UKPollingReport seems to be down. Too much traffic, probably.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    OK.

It's the Smithson, Junior forecasts for the LibDem prospects on June 9th.

I believe the LibDems will get between 12% and 15% of the Great British (ex NI) vote.
    I believe the LibDems will win between 12 and 16 seats.

Gains from Labour:

Cambridge
    and maybe something odd and very Remain-y - Southwark, Hornsey & Wood Green or Bristol West

Gains from the SNP:

Perth Fife NE
    Edinburgh West

Gains from the Conservatives:

Twickenham
    Kingston & Surbiton
    Bath

Possibly one or two of the wealthy, pro-Remain constituencies in the South of the Country.

I think there is only a 30-40% chance that Sarah Olney holds Richmond.
    But I think there is a good chance that Manchester Gorton (if the by-election now happens) goes LD and stays that way.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,022
    JonathanD said:

Yep, June 8th is middle to end of the exam period. Student numbers will be down.
    I just had a look through about a dozen universities exam timetables and they all end either 2nd or 9th June. so I suspect there will be very large numbers of students unclear as to where they will be on election day depending on when their last exam is.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

The smart play from Corbyn now would be to resign with immediate effect. That would give Labour MPs credible reasons to vote against an early general election. Obviously, Corbyn is not smart so he'll be resigning on 9th June instead. But the good news is that we are going to get a functioning opposition rather sooner than expected.

What makes you think there'll be a functioning opposition? The labour party is devoid of ideas, principles and a potential leader, the only thing that will change is Corbyn.

Same horse different jockey
    If they're short of principles there's always boring centre-left managerialism. They have a few people who could carry it off and the voters will vote for it when they get sick of the government.
  • Options
    Boulton saying on Sky News that as Corbyn is supporting May, this 'thereby' bypasses 'the fixed term parliament act.' ?????
  • Options

JonathanD said:

I just had a look through about a dozen universities exam timetables and they all end either 2nd or 9th June. so I suspect there will be very large numbers of students unclear as to where they will be on election day depending on when their last exam is.

I don't think many people go home straight after exams, usually you hang around for a week to get drunk with your friends.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078

Makes the investigations into the 2015 election spending somewhat pointless.

Who’da thunk it?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

Corbyn is. Wil Labour MPs?
    SNP will
This discussion has been closed.