Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember five months ago when Hammond thought he was unsackabl

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793

I predict a lot less squabbling among the sometimes fractious elements of the Indy movement for the foreseeable future.

Oh I do get the odd peek at some of these - especially number 5 'Competent vs Bampots'

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/03/5-biggest-splits-behind-snps-disciplined-facade
    It happens.

Still, I'm sure you're at one with your Sturgeon hating fellow travellers.

https://twitter.com/SturgeonAbuse
    Someone's rattled.

When have I ever posted anything like that about Sturgeon?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    edited March 2017

Then we're back to the basic contradiction that what 'we' want is the benefits of the EU without its constraints. Unless the EU goes out of its way to help the Brexiteers, at some point they will have to face up to some very hard choices.

Not just Britain though. The EU has a €60bn hole in its budget without the UK and there are a lot of exporters in Europe as well as in Britain who won't be keen on barriers going up at Dover.
    The third largest trading partner of the EU is Russia which is why Putin was so shocked that they imposed sanctions over Ukraine. The leverage of business is limited.
    I suppose we'd better not invade Norway then.

Seriously, can't you see the difference between the two?
    Of course there's a difference, which is why the EU is not suggesting sanctions - merely to treat the UK as a normal third country, like wot we voted for.
  • Options

I predict a lot less squabbling among the sometimes fractious elements of the Indy movement for the foreseeable future.

Oh I do get the odd peek at some of these - especially number 5 'Competent vs Bampots'

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/03/5-biggest-splits-behind-snps-disciplined-facade
    It happens.

Can I say that Nicola is an outstanding politician and to be admired for many things. However that does not mean I agree with her policies and I do think she may well have misjudged this.
  • Options
    AlasdairAlasdair Posts: 72

What's this 'before its too late for Scotland to choose a different path' nonsense?

The UK is leaving the EU, with Scotland in it. Even if Scotland left the UK before the UK left the EU, Scotland would still have to apply to join the EU - but even that no longer appears to be SNP policy.....
    She means `before its too late for the SNP`
  • Options
    Alasdair said:

What's this 'before its too late for Scotland to choose a different path' nonsense?

The UK is leaving the EU, with Scotland in it. Even if Scotland left the UK before the UK left the EU, Scotland would still have to apply to join the EU - but even that no longer appears to be SNP policy.....
    Ah, that makes sense! Hence the urgency to agreeing one before the 2021 Holyrood election - still, it will have been a remarkable run.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899

GIN1138 said:

Read a report that Amber Rudd is favourite to succeed Hammond. It would be an another conservative first, woman PM and woman COE at the same time and first woman COE

Would be good to see a lady PM and CotE. Why not?
    It would be very good and another conservative first.
    Could you tell us where that report was please ?

The cynic in me thinks you are making a petty partisan political point but I know that can't be true and there's an actual report out there.

• Options
    Alasdair said:

As I understand it she believes the EU would permit Scotland to remain as UK leaves despite everyone in any position in the EU rejecting that scenario
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162

Alasdair said:

As I understand it she believes the EU would permit Scotland to remain as UK leaves despite everyone in any position in the EU rejecting that scenario
    It's the kind of thing that's unthinkable until the day it becomes inevitable.
  • Options
    stodge said:

GIN1138 said:

Read a report that Amber Rudd is favourite to succeed Hammond. It would be an another conservative first, woman PM and woman COE at the same time and first woman COE

The cynic in me thinks you are making a petty partisan political point but I know that can't be true and there's an actual report out there.

The telegraph did a leading candidates column for next CoE and she came out at 8 out of 10.

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Sturgeon this week has been very good at political theatre but actually pretty awful at politics.

It is so clear to everyone that Scotland can't just stay in the EU and also pretty clear that any attempt to join would face fierce opposition - not least from the Spanish.

It was an easy decision for May to say no. Standing up to to the SNP is the right thing to do. Forcing them to actually take responsibility for governing Scotland rather than being in permanent protest mode will show up their lack of success.

Today May looks resolute, Davidson looks in touch with the majority of Scots and Sturgeon looks petulant and frit.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978

It says that only the Spanish people as a whole can approve a change in the territorial scope of Spain. It's up to the Spanish parliament to decide what that means.

The Westminster parliament is the only body which can legally approve Scottish secession, so it's not really very different.

In theory, maybe not; but it is in practice - and we can see that in what has happened today.

The government in Westminster has said that if there is a specific mandate for an independence referendum at the next Scottish election (or perhaps even following the next GE), then there will be a binding referendum on independence. In Spain the government has ruled out a referendum whatever the Catalans might vote for - and it has refused to agree to such referenda in the past, stating specifically that it is a matter for the Spanish people as a whole. This is not an argument any British government has ever used. And given the precedent set in 2014, it is not one that would stand up to legal scrutiny now IMO.
    That out MPs have more self respect and respect for others than their Spanish counterparts doesn't change the legal situation.

The legal situation is far from clear. The 2012 agreement between the UK government and the Scottish government - following the SNP getting a majority in the 2011 Scottish election on an explicit mandate to hold an independence referendum - arguably creates a precedent.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005

stodge said:

GIN1138 said:

The telegraph did a leading candidates column for next CoE and she came out at 8 out of 10.

Well THAT explains quite alot.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Then we're back to the basic contradiction that what 'we' want is the benefits of the EU without its constraints. Unless the EU goes out of its way to help the Brexiteers, at some point they will have to face up to some very hard choices.

Not just Britain though. The EU has a €60bn hole in its budget without the UK and there are a lot of exporters in Europe as well as in Britain who won't be keen on barriers going up at Dover.
    The third largest trading partner of the EU is Russia which is why Putin was so shocked that they imposed sanctions over Ukraine. The leverage of business is limited.
    Which idea rather gives the lie to the idea that Putin is a switched on politician. The Sovs biggest trade partner until July 1941 was Germany. The Wehrmacht senior officer class of 1939/40 learned it trade during exercises conducted in the Soviet Union. France was a big trade partner of Germany in between the wars (and indeed before 1914). Iff Putin was so shocked,as you suggest, then he is a fool.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953

Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: bears may partake in woodland defecation, says Horner:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39291468

I already posted this but it's interesting enough for a second outing - McLaren are looking at maybe getting a Mercedes engine:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39290908

Other F1 news: Paddy Lowe appointed as CTO at Williams. Good news for them for next year, he avoided a year's gardening leave so brings a lot of recent knowledge from Mercedes.
    https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/03/16/willaims-appoints-lowe-as-cto/
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

stodge said:

GIN1138 said:

That would be this piece?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/15/telegraphs-guide-favourites-replace-philip-hammond-chancellor/

Joint favourite with Greg Clark if you believe the article.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

It says that only the Spanish people as a whole can approve a change in the territorial scope of Spain. It's up to the Spanish parliament to decide what that means.

The Westminster parliament is the only body which can legally approve Scottish secession, so it's not really very different.

In theory, maybe not; but it is in practice - and we can see that in what has happened today.

The government in Westminster has said that if there is a specific mandate for an independence referendum at the next Scottish election (or perhaps even following the next GE), then there will be a binding referendum on independence. In Spain the government has ruled out a referendum whatever the Catalans might vote for - and it has refused to agree to such referenda in the past, stating specifically that it is a matter for the Spanish people as a whole. This is not an argument any British government has ever used. And given the precedent set in 2014, it is not one that would stand up to legal scrutiny now IMO.
    I really don't believe that the view taken by the Cameron Govt in 2014 is in any sense legally binding on future Administrations.
    As far as anything is clear in our 'constitution', there is nothing that can bind a future administration - other than fear!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I really don't believe that the view taken by the Cameron Govt in 2014 is in any sense legally binding on future Administrations.

The 2012 agreement between the Scottish and UK governments was a one time only affair. But it undoubtedly created a precedent. It is arguable as to whether that is binding or not, but I believe it is unthinkable that the UK government would not agree to a referendum if one were clearly wanted by the Scots. May has wriggle room now. She would not have wriggle room if the SNP were to win in 2021 on the back of a manifesto pledge to hold a referendum.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Sandpit, indeed. Williams could do with enhanced downforce (well, that was their problem in recent years).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

GIN1138 said:

I do not understand your comment. The telegraph is likely to know the leading candidates to succeed Hammond if a vacancy arises and it is more than likely TM would appoint another woman.

Does that worry you
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, the SNP doesn't have a majority, does it? And the last referendum was by agreement with Westminster. Far from clear a majority of Scots want another vote.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,410
    edited March 2017
    Nicola - 'History may look back on today and see it as the day the fate of the union was sealed' but she didn't add 'or my political career'
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015

Ha, ha ...
    twitter.com/rupertmyers/status/842369903659220992

McDonald boycott in 3...2...
  • Options

Mr. Observer, the SNP doesn't have a majority, does it? And the last referendum was by agreement with Westminster. Far from clear a majority of Scots want another vote.

Yes - see my post below. May currently has wriggle room. If the SNP (or the SNP ad the Greens) get a majority in 2021 on the back of an explicit commitment to hold a referendum then she will not.

• Options

She will get it past the Scots Parliament with the Greens backing but she does run a minority adminstration
  • Options

Nicola - 'History may look back on today and see it as the day the fate of the union was sealed' but she didn't add 'or my political career'

Unionists will rue the day...??
  • Options

Alasdair said:

I think they've given up on that - joining the EU (tricky questions about budget deficits, currencies and hard borders with rUK too difficult to dodge) is now off the table and EFTA the preferred option - but again that has to be applied for once independent....
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited March 2017

Not much different, I think. Halifax could not have commanded a majority in the cabinet and he did not, when push came to a shove, have the support of Chamberlain (who was very influential in Conservative circles). I doubt he could have got his policies through the House, even if he could have got them through cabinet.

Maybe, or maybe not. If he'd been in the Commons, he might have been more popular with the Parliamentary Party and he could after all have changed the Cabinet. And one of the reasons that Chamberlain didn't support him seems to have been that he was in the Commons. Churchill after all wasn't popular with the Parliamentary Party in May 1940 either.

I think, if Halifax (or plain Edward Wood) had become Prime Minister, he'd probably have made peace after Dunkirk. Hitler probably would have turned eastward, and either won, or reached some kind of stalemate there. What would have happened then, who knows?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

GIN1138 said:

I do not understand your comment. The telegraph is likely to know the leading candidates to succeed Hammond if a vacancy arises and it is more than likely TM would appoint another woman.

Does that worry you
    I think it is quite clear the Telegraph has an agenda to get rid of Hammond, as per Southam Observer's observations on the matter. This article clarifies that nicely.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

If one has the time the cabinet papers of 1940 and, more so, of 1945-50 are a jolly interesting read. So many modern myths are therein debunked.

Indeed, I read through them once for a book I wrote about those turbulent and desperate years. But just as important as the Cabinet papers are what didn't make it in, but is still found in people's diaries, etc.
  • Options
    Other than to make a futile gesture, what is the point of Sturgeon putting this to the Scottish Parish Council next week?

The answer to any request is already known - there is no more political capital to be gained from a vote.
  • Options

Yes - see my post below. May currently has wriggle room. If the SNP (or the SNP ad the Greens) get a majority in 2021 on the back of an explicit commitment to hold a referendum then she will not.

Find it hard to imagine anything other than a SNP minority (or even majority) government after the 2021 elections. As much as I would love to see that Scottish Tory Surge realised :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Unionists will rue the day...??
    The political landscape will change beyond recognition in the next two years and really no one knows how this will pan out. However, these last few days have added enormous uncertainty and I believe that Scotland will suffer from much delayed investment, far beyond the present doubts on Brexit
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,686
    SeanT said:

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

lol. Look at the odds now on the timing of indyref2

2018: 16/1
    2019: 8/1
    2020 or after: evens

This, of course, is what I predicted on here, and I advised you all to bet accordingly, to some derision.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/scottish-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=1914391

I seem to remember you saying words to the effect of" it could be 2019, or 2020, or 2021 - bet accordingly" - hence the derision.
    What I meant was, it was not going to happen in 2018 or early 2019, despite the bookies feeling this was pretty likely.

BTW I am in a posh Primrose Hill pub and hearing my first Brexit argument in ages. A posh Indian British woman (REMAIN) is having a posh polite but pretty firm argument with a younger white posh British woman (LEAVE).
    Surprised. Such is the tension in places like London (and the professional services sector) I know several Leavers who *pretend* to be Remainers, just to avoid abuse.

A very senior person in Crossrail confided to me last week that he voted Leave, but the previous evening in our group told them all at dinner, 'we all voted against!'.

I bite my tongue, unless I've been drinking.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, on the SNP's 'day job'

How well or badly do you think the current Scottish government is handling the issue of...
    Net Well (vs Nov)
    Education: +2 (-5)
    NHS: -3 (-3)
    Justice: +4 (-4)
    Policing: -14 (+2)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

GIN1138 said:

Does that worry you
    I think it is quite clear the Telegraph has an agenda to get rid of Hammond, as per Southam Observer's observations on the matter. This article clarifies that nicely.
    Yes you may be right but it is an interesting thought
  • Options

Other than to make a futile gesture, what is the point of Sturgeon putting this to the Scottish Parish Council next week?

The answer to any request is already known - there is no more political capital to be gained from a vote.

All grist to the grievance machine.....
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

justin124 said:

The 2012 agreement between the Scottish and UK governments was a one time only affair. But it undoubtedly created a precedent. It is arguable as to whether that is binding or not, but I believe it is unthinkable that the UK government would not agree to a referendum if one were clearly wanted by the Scots. May has wriggle room now. She would not have wriggle room if the SNP were to win in 2021 on the back of a manifesto pledge to hold a referendum.

Why would Mrs May want wriggle room?

As I see it, there's a very clear parallel with the EU referendum. If no-one within Scotland is able or willing to make a heart-convincing reason to remain in the UK, Scotland should leave.

Economic reasons on their own are just putting off the day.

As with the EU, so with Scotland: most of us want to stay on friendly terms with people of other nations. The longer the stirring-up of hatred goes on, the harder it will be ever to return to (or reach) amicable relationships.

Scottish people have always been an "us" for the English people; witness Dunblane, that happened "here, at home". The next disaster in Scotland will happen in some foreign country.

The SNP is turning Scotland & its people from an "us" into a "them" for the English. That's their primary aim & objective.

Lance the boil soonest. Go in peace, my friends. Every blessing upon you all.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,686

Act II, Scene II.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    edited March 2017
    It seems to be the case now that every time there's some sort of incident anywhere we have handwringing rightist snowflakes literally quivering in the hope that the perp is named as Hanif or Mohammed - you can feel the anticipation, it's like Christmas Eve.

Very fucking sad in my view.

Anyway, back in the real world a win for Nichols Canyon helped my Chelters balance.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    For the lovers of Scottish sub samples today's Ipsos Mori poll had
    SNP 43 Con 24 LD 14 Lab 13 Greens 5

The raw data for the whole poll had Lib Dems at 15 UKIP at 5
  • Options

Act II, Scene II.
    But who is Duncan?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Act II, Scene II.
    Not Romeo and Juliet I hope…!

"Virginity makes her look sick and green. Only fools hold on to their virginity"

• Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    In todays ifop rolling poll, Fillon slips further behind for the second day running. Now 7.5 points behind Macron and 8.5 behind Le Pen. Really difficult seeing him turning it around from here without some sort of major calamity befalling Macron.

Yet he is actually shortening in the betting market and has gone from 7.6 yesterday afternoon to 6.4 today. His price is actually beginning to make Le Pen look like value in comparison!

http://dataviz.ifop.com:8080/IFOP_ROLLING/IFOP_16-03-2017.pdf
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    isam said:

@JosiasJessop

Oh and I don't know why you said "LOL" about me not reading the UKIP manifesto? I didn't read it! Why would I lie?!

You were opining that the Tories were enacting UKIP's policies. To say that, you'd need to know what those policies are, and the best place to see that would be the manifesto.

Also, given you were going to be a candidate before the GE, I'm really surprised you hadn't read the manifesto. Heck, even I read UKIP's 2015 manifesto (and complimented them on its relative professionalism before the GE).

Instead, you're just taking your personal views and projecting them onto UKIP.

And the LOL was that you could make such claims without having read the manifesto!
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    The Council of State's decision on whether it's acceptable for TF1 to invite only five candidates to the first TV debate is expected this afternoon. This write-up reports the arguments made by Dupont-Aignan, who brought the case, by the Superior Council of Autovisual, and by the TF1 network.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Alistair said:

If the UK government requires disenfranchising EU citizens to win the vote then that is beneath contempt.
    No it isn't, why should non UK citizens have a say on weather the UK breaks up?

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited March 2017
    " William Hill also have a market up making it 5/2 that he won’t remain Chancellor to out of this Parliament."

I very much favour the second of these two bets over the first. After a series of Prime Ministers who couldn't fire a starting pistol .... incl Cameron, Brown, Blair, etc., we have yet to discover what Mrs. May is made of in this particular department, although it has to be said that she was utterly ruthless in dispatching George Osborne when she took over the top job. We have to assume that she will have only one re-shuffle in this parliament, probably during Summer 2018, so that is likely to be be her only clear opportunity to sack him or to move him to another role in Cabinet, which would also trigger this as a winning bet.
    I think there's little doubt that Hammond is in the last chance saloon, especially as he chose to openly defy the Prime Minister on this issue, despite her having warned him not proceed.
    One more major error and he's a gonner imho. But what attracts me to this bet is that I actually view him as being a resigning type and I wouldn't be that surprised to see him sling his hook most likely over a particular Brexit issue of which there are bound to be a number.
    So yes, whilst I don't like putting my money down up to three years in advance, I fancy that one way or another he'll be gone as CotE well before May 2020.

DYOR.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,039
    James Kelly:

"This is now a hostage situation - Theresa May attempts to abolish Scottish democracy...and the Scottish Government must take bold action to stop her"

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/this-is-now-hostage-situation-theresa.html
  • Options
    F1: there are many season match bets up on Ladbrokes (mostly between team mates, but a few mingled between Mercedes/Ferrari/Red Bull).

The only one that tempted was Raikkonen to beat Bottas at 2.2. However, if you believe Ferrari and Mercedes will be competing for the title, and this is a 3rd/4th battle, then I believe an each way bet on Raikkonen to win the title at 11 may be better.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    nunu said:

Alistair said:

If the UK government requires disenfranchising EU citizens to win the vote then that is beneath contempt.

Because they were allowed to vote last time and broke heavily for No.
  • Options

For the lovers of Scottish sub samples today's Ipsos Mori poll had
    SNP 43 Con 24 LD 14 Lab 13 Greens 5

The raw data for the whole poll had Lib Dems at 15 UKIP at 5

And for a full Scottish sample (1028 Scottish adults)
    Holyrood VI
    SNP: 51
    Con: 24
    Lab: 14
    LibD: 6
    Green: 5
    UKIP: 1

I think SNP ±50, Con mid-twenties, Lab mid teens, everyone else single digits is about 'right', for Holyrood, of course Westminster may differ....
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,039
    Wilders' party topped the poll in Maastricht, of all places:

https://lfverkiezingen.appspot.com/nos/widget/main.html
  • Options
    nunu said:

Alistair said:

Talking of "disenfranchising" and "preventing" them from voting is crap. Of course they shouldn't have a vote.

I knew Sturgeon was up to something when she said it should be up to Scotland (her word for the SNP) to decide the franchise.

Those who aren't British citizens shouldn't have a vote in a Scottish independence referendum, and especially when they are citizens of other EU countries who may want Scotland to be independent because they think it will join the EU. What country in the world has allowed foreigners to vote for independence because that way they will be allowed to stay there?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014
    edited March 2017

isam said:

@JosiasJessop

Oh and I don't know why you said "LOL" about me not reading the UKIP manifesto? I didn't read it! Why would I lie?!

You were opining that the Tories were enacting UKIP's policies. To say that, you'd need to know what those policies are, and the best place to see that would be the manifesto.

Also, given you were going to be a candidate before the GE, I'm really surprised you hadn't read the manifesto. Heck, even I read UKIP's 2015 manifesto (and complimented them on its relative professionalism before the GE).

Instead, you're just taking your personal views and projecting them onto UKIP.

And the LOL was that you could make such claims without having read the manifesto!
    Why are you agitating for an argument? The Tories are up 3 to an unprecedented (?) high, UKIP are as low as they have been in the polls for years. At the same time, we have a PM who is criticised by Cameroons for sucking up to the Eurosceptic "loons" in the Conservative party, whose views aren't that different to UKIP.

She is enacting Brexit (UKIP), leaving the single market (UKIP), stopping free movement (UKIP), allowing Grammar schools (UKIP) and has U-turned on NICs (UKIP). Hardly outlandish to suggest Kippers are satisfied to see these policies they support being carried out, and therefore switching (back) to the Conservatives. It was a throwaway comment on a poll, I think you are getting too het up about it.

As for the manifesto, you will just have to believe me that I didn't read it. It wasn't published until just before the GE, and I decided not to be a candidate in December or January I think. I know that Grammar schools are a big Kipper wish though, as are the other things I listed above, so they're not just my personal views, but those of UKIP too. I didn't need to read the manifesto to know that, and I doubt the single market/immigration thing was in it anyway as they was only possible in the event of a Leave win.

*wolfwhistle*
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

James Kelly:

"This is now a hostage situation - Theresa May attempts to abolish Scottish democracy...and the Scottish Government must take bold action to stop her"

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/this-is-now-hostage-situation-theresa.html

Unspoofable... :smiley:
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

James Kelly:

Seems a tad overly dramatic. – Sturgeon didn't even bothered to make a formal Indy request.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

James Kelly:

Seems a tad overly dramatic. – Sturgeon didn't even bothered to make a formal Indy request.
    It's shit talk - "abolish Scottish democracy". Sturgeon has no mandate to call another referendum. Let her call a Scottish general election if she wants.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

James Kelly:

Yeah, go, James, a bit more pushing and you'll have Westminster turfing you out without bothering about mind of the Scottish people. Now that will be a whinge.
  • Options
    So what I'm getting is it was fine for EU citizens s to vote last time when they could be conned and scared into voting No but now they have been suckered it's no backsies and a lock out for them.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Europe Elects‏ @EuropeElects 3h3 hours ago

Italy, Tecné poll:

M5S-EFDD: 29% ↓
    PD-S&D: 23% ↓
    FI-EPP: 14% ↑
    Lega-ENF: 13%
    DP-S&D: 7% ↑
    FDI-*: 6% ↑
    AP-EPP: 3%
    SI-LEFT: 2% ↓
    CP-*: 2% ↑

Italy, Euromedia poll:

PD-S&D: 26% ↓
    M5S-EFDD: 26% ↓
    LN-ENF: 14% ↑
    FDI-NI: 6% ↑
    SI-LEFT: 4% ↑...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

So what I'm getting is it was fine for EU citizens s to vote last time when they could be conned and scared into voting No but now they have been suckered it's no backsies and a lock out for them.

It wasn't fine for them to vote last time, but one can't go back into the past and change it. The argument that "they voted before, so they should vote in a second referendum if one gets held" is specious, but so is most of the xenophobic bile, playing to chips on shoulders, that is spewed by what is probably the nastiest major party in Britain.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    Alistair said:

Was there a legal or administrative mechanism to deny them the vote last time around?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

You could always encourage them to apply for British citizenship.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Andy_JS said:

James Kelly:

It's shit talk - "abolish Scottish democracy". Sturgeon has no mandate to call another referendum. Let her call a Scottish general election if she wants.
    She would need a two-thirds majority to trigger a dissolution. I don't see how Sturgeon gets to 86 votes!
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Italy, Tecné poll:

Italy, Euromedia poll:

I think I see Italy's problem

No ALDE parties.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Alistair said:

It wasn't fine for them to vote last time, but one can't go back into the past and change it. The argument that "they voted before, so they should vote in a second referendum if one gets held" is specious, but so is most of the xenophobic bile, playing to chips on shoulders, that is spewed by what is probably the nastiest major party in Britain.
    Ah yes the old, the SNP are xenophobic for wanting EU nationals to vote, card. Such a strong play.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

nunu said:

Alistair said:

Talking of "disenfranchising" and "preventing" them from voting is crap. Of course they shouldn't have a vote.

I knew Sturgeon was up to something when she said it should be up to Scotland (her word for the SNP) to decide the franchise.

Those who aren't British citizens shouldn't have a vote in a Scottish independence referendum, and especially when they are citizens of other EU countries who may want Scotland to be independent because they think it will join the EU. What country in the world has allowed foreigners to vote for independence because that way they will be allowed to stay there?
    Well, if foreigners can have a say in whether the UK breaks up, certainly UK citizens should be having a say.

I'd like to think Ms Sturgeon would get a resounding majority Leave vote from the English, if not the Welsh & Northern Irish.

Shades of inviting all-comers into the Labour leadership election, isn't it?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    isam said:

It isn't wildly inaccurate, we are leaving the EU, and apparently its "hard brexit", leaving the single market, ending free movement, ie what UKIP want.

She is also talking up Grammar schools, which Cameron denied, another UKIP policy

Yesterday the govt U turned on a policy that UKIP were first to denounce.

But really it is the form of Brexit that May is enacting that I meant, I think that's why the Tories are getting VI boosts at UKIPs expense

Lol away, I don't dislike Suzanne Evans at all, I spent an afternoon canvassing with her in Jaywick and she seems a very nice lady. I just never bought into the idea she would be a good replacement for Farage

That's not the way your posts about Evans have read in the past; comments about her only having been a Merton councillor seem to be rather at odds with your repeated defences of Farage's multiple GE failures.

It's a shame that Evans never became leader; she certainly could not be doing as bad a job as Nuttall! I rate her; she was responsible for the 2015 manifesto which was massively more coherent and professional than the 2010 one, and she comes across well on TV.

UKIP faces a problem if hard Brexit occurs: their main reason for being has gone. But they attracted voters not only on that issue, but many others, and those voters may not find a voice in other parties. If UKIP needs reforming and redirecting, then I'd suggest Evans would be a good captain.

Leaving such issues aside, there's an interesting question embedded in your post: UKIP gained voters in 2015 (and especially at the Euros) from both the Conservatives and Labour. If UKIP's vote is unwinding post-referendum, where are they going? In particular, how many ex-Labour voting UKIPpers (*) are tempted to move back to a Labour run by Corbyn? (**) But if not there, then where? And what effect will it have on the target parties?

(*) I think such as yourself
    (**) I guess not you. :)
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    chestnut said:

Italy, Tecné poll:

Italy, Euromedia poll:

What is it with continental political parties and acronyms?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/842362764630847488

I agree with the Prof. Today might well have been the day that the United Kingdom's death warrant was signed. The Westminster government said in effect that a democratic mandate in the Scottish Parliament was to be countermanded for the convenience of the UK government.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Cyan said:

Andy_JS said:

James Kelly:

She would need a two-thirds majority to trigger a dissolution. I don't see how Sturgeon gets to 86 votes!
    There is another route to a general election: if she resigns as first minister, and then the Scottish Parliament fails to nominate a replacement within 28 days (sections 3 and 46 of the Scotland Act 1998).

All she needs for that is support from her own party and from the Greens.

This is what the opposition parties should be saying: you haven't got a mandate for another referendum, Sturgeon, so shut up or seek one.
  • Options

I agree with the Prof. Today might well have been the day that the United Kingdom's death warrant was signed. The Westminster government said in effect that a democratic mandate in the Scottish Parliament was to be countermanded for the convenience of the UK government.

It's a huge call. Sturgeon will love it.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Cyan said:

Cyan said:

Andy_JS said:

James Kelly:

There is another route to a general election: if she resigns as first minister, and then the Scottish Parliament fails to nominate a replacement within 28 days (sections 3 and 46 of the Scotland Act 1998).

All she needs for that is support from her own party and from the Greens.

This is what the opposition parties should be saying: you haven't got a mandate for another referendum, Sturgeon, so shut up or seek one.
    Yes, the nuclear option does exist - but I am not sure she is willing to go that far.

It would not be impossible of a Unionist National Government might not emerge to provide stability for Scotland during this difficult time - with the Greens agreeing to support it on the promise of a referendum on independence within 2 years of the completion of leaving the EU.
  • Options

They'll get a vote on it in 2020 and 2021. After Brexit.

• Options
    Brexit is going to have to go very well indeed for the Union to survive.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

There is no mandate in the Scottish parliament for another indyref. Only one party represented in that parliament promised another indyref if the Brexit referendum result was Leave. They do not have a majority.

Theresa May is right on this. I wish both she and the Scottish opposition could make the case better, because it is a very strong one.
  • Options

What democratic mandate? Last time I checked the Greens were elected on a manifesto to support a referendum if there was public support for it.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237

It's a huge call. Sturgeon will love it.

May is politically naive. If only we had an opposition.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

There is no mandate in the Scottish parliament for another indyref. Only one party represented in that parliament promised another indyref if the Brexit referendum result was Leave. They do not have a majority.
    You say mandate about as often as Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Andy_JS said:

Wilders' party topped the poll in Maastricht, of all places:

https://lfverkiezingen.appspot.com/nos/widget/main.html

:lol:
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

That out MPs have more self respect and respect for others than their Spanish counterparts doesn't change the legal situation.

The legal situation is far from clear. The 2012 agreement between the UK government and the Scottish government - following the SNP getting a majority in the 2011 Scottish election on an explicit mandate to hold an independence referendum - arguably creates a precedent.
    A political precedent not a legal one.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014

isam said:

It isn't wildly inaccurate, we are leaving the EU, and apparently its "hard brexit", leaving the single market, ending free movement, ie what UKIP want.

She is also talking up Grammar schools, which Cameron denied, another UKIP policy

Yesterday the govt U turned on a policy that UKIP were first to denounce.

But really it is the form of Brexit that May is enacting that I meant, I think that's why the Tories are getting VI boosts at UKIPs expense

Lol away, I don't dislike Suzanne Evans at all, I spent an afternoon canvassing with her in Jaywick and she seems a very nice lady. I just never bought into the idea she would be a good replacement for Farage

That's not the way your posts about Evans have read in the past; comments about her only having been a Merton councillor seem to be rather at odds with your repeated defences of Farage's multiple GE failures.

It's a shame that Evans never became leader; she certainly could not be doing as bad a job as Nuttall! I rate her; she was responsible for the 2015 manifesto which was massively more coherent and professional than the 2010 one, and she comes across well on TV.

UKIP faces a problem if hard Brexit occurs: their main reason for being has gone. But they attracted voters not only on that issue, but many others, and those voters may not find a voice in other parties. If UKIP needs reforming and redirecting, then I'd suggest Evans would be a good captain.

Leaving such issues aside, there's an interesting question embedded in your post: UKIP gained voters in 2015 (and especially at the Euros) from both the Conservatives and Labour. If UKIP's vote is unwinding post-referendum, where are they going? In particular, how many ex-Labour voting UKIPpers (*) are tempted to move back to a Labour run by Corbyn? (**) But if not there, then where? And what effect will it have on the target parties?

(*) I think such as yourself
    (**) I guess not you. :)
    I think they will would go to the Tories over Corbyn's Labour.

I wouldn't say anything nasty about Suzanne Evans as I thought she was a nice lady. I worry she reads this, and would be hurt! I just don't think she would be a good replacement for Farage, but he is probably irreplaceable. I have never slagged her off, just pointed out that for all her popularity with non kippers, she hasn't done that well electorally. You are entitled to your view, if you think she would be our best leader, I am allowed to disagree.

I think if hard Brexit occurs, UKIP should be pleased and should not mourn their subsequent irrelevance. They would have won, that's the name of the game. Parties have no right to exist for existences sake.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Your Brexit mania is affecting your judgement. If the Scottish people do not recognise Westminster as being the legitimate highest legislative, judicial and executive authority in the land, they should of course leave the Union.

The results of the 2014 referendum show that a decisive majority do accept its legitimacy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yep.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

There is no emotional case for its survival. If there were, Scottish people would be standing up and proclaiming it.

Same as the EU. Pain & sadness isn't enough; there's that on both sides.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    RoyalBlue said:

Your Brexit mania is affecting your judgement. If the Scottish people do not recognise Westminster as being the legitimate highest legislative, judicial and executive authority in the land, they should of course leave the Union.

The results of the 2014 referendum show that a decisive majority do accept its legitimacy.
    I agree. The way the SNP talk is that they are already independent. Majority don't agree. Let's see how May elections go to see what the peolpe think.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2017

'Convenience' is a highly loaded word. You could more reasonably put it as: "Given the responsibility of the UK parliament to act in the interests of the whole of the UK, a request from the Scottish parliament for a referendum at a completely impractical time, and only three years since the last one on the same subject, has been denied, but the request will be considered in due course.'
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    Just what fillon needed..

The shooter has been named as Kylian Barbey who had researched massacres before this afternoon's attack and shared acts of terrorism on his social media pages which are littered with chilling images of weapons and Gothic villains.

His father is right wing municipal councillor, Franck Barbey - a strong supporter of French presidential candidate Francois Fillon having previously sided with Marine Le Pen's National Front party.
  • Options

'Convenience' is a highly loaded word. You could more reasonably put it as: "Given the responsibility of the UK parliament to act in the interests of the whole of the UK, a request from the Scottish parliament for a referendum at a completely impractical time, and only two years since the last one on the same subject, has been denied, but the request will be considered in due course.'
    Very well put.

EU membership is something that only Westminster can determine - it is as simple as that.

If, as and when Scotland gets control over such matters then it can take a view as to whether it wants to apply for membership - particularly in the light of the Spanish declaration that they would veto any attempt.
  • Options

'Convenience' is a highly loaded word. You could more reasonably put it as: "Given the responsibility of the UK parliament to act in the interests of the whole of the UK, a request from the Scottish parliament for a referendum at a completely impractical time, and only two years since the last one on the same subject, has been denied, but the request will be considered in due course.'
    Of course it's a highly loaded word. But the Prime Minister is setting aside a democratic mandate explicitly stated in the SNP's manifesto (in the same week that she has been forced belatedly to recognise her own party's manifesto commitments).

I have no doubt that the SNP are playing this in a way most calculated to achieve their longstanding aims. You can call that bad faith if you wish to use another highly loaded phrase.

But inconveniently, the SNP are putting their manifesto into practice. If the Prime Minister wishes to argue that now is not a good time, she needs to be a hell of a lot clearer about when is a good time if she is to retain any credibility as a leader of the entire United Kingdom.
  • Options

Of course it's a highly loaded word. But the Prime Minister is setting aside a democratic mandate explicitly stated in the SNP's manifesto (in the same week that she has been forced belatedly to recognise her own party's manifesto commitments).

I have no doubt that the SNP are playing this in a way most calculated to achieve their longstanding aims. You can call that bad faith if you wish to use another highly loaded phrase.

But inconveniently, the SNP are putting their manifesto into practice. If the Prime Minister wishes to argue that now is not a good time, she needs to be a hell of a lot clearer about when is a good time if she is to retain any credibility as a leader of the entire United Kingdom.
    The SNP failed to achieve a majority on that manifesto and so it is a stretch to say that they have a mandate.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

It seems fairly probable that the final budget going into the 2020 election is going to involve honouring Brexit pledges.

It is also very possible that tariff abolition on global produce will form part of any strategy to counteract cost-of-living and currency issues that may arise.

These two things will create added problems for those committed to selling fake-indy in the name of Europe when it will mean reimposing a lot of eurotaxes (due to a lack of independence) on the Scottish electorate.

Of course, the absolute diehards will proclaim it is worth it, but they amount to what? 20%?

What were the SNP polling before Scot Lab imploded and Independence was supposedly settled for a generation? That's the core.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I expect she will. Autumn 2019 or 2021.

The impact on the EU negotiations is a very interesting aspect of this. As one example, does the UK government need to bother about the interests of Scottish fishermen or the whisky industry? It would be rather helpful to know beforehand, I'd have thought. That's why I suggested, not entirely seriously admittedly, that we should hold IndyRef2 immediately so we can get the damned thing out of the way and know whether the Scots want to be taken account of in the deal or not.
  • Options

The SNP failed to achieve a majority on that manifesto and so it is a stretch to say that they have a mandate.
    They lead the government in Holyrood and, it seems, they are able to put this item of their manifesto into effect, courtesy of the Greens. On any other item in their manifesto, would you have them disregard it because they fell fractionally short of an overall majority?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

But the Prime Minister is setting aside a democratic mandate explicitly stated in the SNP's manifesto

The SNP do not have a majority, for goodness sake, so they don't have a mandate for calling another referendum off the back of Brexit.

The Greens, on whose support they rely, did NOT say the same thing in their manifesto. They said there should be another indyref if, for example, a million people on the electoral roll signed a petition.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,314
    edited March 2017

It happens.

Someone's rattled.

When have I ever posted anything like that about Sturgeon?
    I wonder what level of rattlement your clypey, repetititive 'joyous & civic' rt-ing suggests, not to mention the hilarious Mrs McTurniphead witticisms implies?

It's always good to be aware of the diversity of those with whom one makes cause. You, for example, will have to make do with the Sturgeon tweet haters, the Orange Order, the BNP, the NF, the SDL, the EDL, and indeed Marine's pal Farage with his barge pole.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    FTSE100 appears to have gone mad, up +0.64% today to 7,415.95. +500pts since January.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Their manifesto on any area not in their competence. There are enough areas in their competence, like Health and Education that they could crack on with in the mean time.
This discussion has been closed.