Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember five months ago when Hammond thought he was unsackabl

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited March 2017
    JackW said:

I regret to say that the May administration that began with potential is now looking lamer as each week passes.

BREXIT is being handled with all the aplomb of a "Spreadsheet Phil" budget, that itself unraveled quicker than a Paul Nuttall CV and to cap a week of sparkling ineptitude this afternoon the Prime Minister hands the SNP an electoral golden hand.

How Mrs May must thank the gods that across the dispatch box she is faced with a LotO even more incompetent, and then some, than she has proven to be over these recent weeks.

I can't help feeling that David Cameron has been exercising his chuckle muscles recently and who could blame him.

As someone was wont to say :

"Things can only get better ..."

Chuckling would be appropriate for Cameron if May had engineered his downfall but she didn't, he did. I would permit Osborne a discreet smirk, but Cameron carries the can for each and every cockup by May.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,152

GIN1138 said:

Nicola's view:

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/842365797259456512

ttps://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/842365995704549376

ttps://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/842366199212191744

ttps://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/842366483049123840

I’ve no idea what game Sturgeon is playing at, the terms of Brexit will not be known until the EU negotiations are completed, Sturgeon must know this.
    And when will that be? Theresa May's timetable exactly fits Sturgeon's proposed dates. If those dates are unrealistic, it means the negotiations themselves are unrealistic.
    As I was saying:

https://twitter.com/nicolasturgeon/status/842372721522675712
    Why should she or the EU know the terms of Brexit when negotiations are still ongoing? Sturgeon is talking bollocks.
    That's the point. If negotiations are still ongoing, it means the timetable will have to be extended.
    And transistion agreement is possible extending the time to x.
    The transition agreement could only be staying in the EU for an unspecified additional amount of time.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    Sandpit said:

Nicola and friends should spend a few years doing the day job of using the powers they have to make a better Scotland.
    Like this, for example:

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/842334101952729088
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Personally, I think we should all be gearing up for a "snap" Scottish Parliament election in the next few months.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited March 2017

Pulpstar said:

The Dutch election result has been settled on Betfair.

The premium charge looms ever closer.
    Can someone explain the premium charge in language an idiot can understand? I tried reading up on it the other day and it made my head hurt.
    There isn't really a simple explanation that non-accountants can easily understand. It's a complicated tax-type arrangement.

My attempt at a simple explanation;

If you've used betfair for a while and consistently win more than you lose - BF start averaging out your profits over time and take a 20% fee. This effectively replaces the 5% commission.

IIRC, this goes up to 50-60% after you've won more than £250k.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

I regret to say that the May administration that began with potential is now looking lamer as each week passes.

BREXIT is being handled with all the aplomb of a "Spreadsheet Phil" budget, that itself unraveled quicker than a Paul Nuttall CV and to cap a week of sparkling ineptitude this afternoon the Prime Minister hands the SNP an electoral golden hand.

How Mrs May must thank the gods that across the dispatch box she is faced with a LotO even more incompetent, and then some, than she has proven to be over these recent weeks.

I can't help feeling that David Cameron has been exercising his chuckle muscles recently and who could blame him.

Yep - it looks to me like May is doing precisely what Sturgeon wants her to do. Four more years of politics not as normal north of the border. The terms of the next Scottish assembly election have already been framed - and in exactly the way that the SNP would hope. In fact, that will now become a de facto independence poll.

In 2021 after UK election in 2020. The debate will have driven everyone crackers by then
    It is also quite possible that, by then, the UK will have negotiated a bespoke Brexit deal very similar to EEA, but with subtle tweaks on Free Movement (this is surely the UK's intention).

So the Scot Nats option of independence in the EEA will look pointlessly time consuming, and expensive, for almost no real difference with the rUK's position outside the EU, except Scotland will have no control over their currency, and no central bank.

I did make a similar observation yesterday. Sturgeon is no fool and the rush is because she must realise that a good UK deal would scupper Independence for a lifetime
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Danny565 said:

Personally, I think we should all be gearing up for a "snap" Scottish Parliament election in the next few months.

I thought the Holyrood elections are on a strict timetable
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Nicola's view:

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/842365797259456512

ttps://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/842365995704549376

ttps://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/842366199212191744

ttps://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/842366483049123840

I’ve no idea what game Sturgeon is playing at, the terms of Brexit will not be known until the EU negotiations are completed, Sturgeon must know this.
    And when will that be? Theresa May's timetable exactly fits Sturgeon's proposed dates. If those dates are unrealistic, it means the negotiations themselves are unrealistic.
    As I was saying:

https://twitter.com/nicolasturgeon/status/842372721522675712
    Why should she or the EU know the terms of Brexit when negotiations are still ongoing? Sturgeon is talking bollocks.
    That's the point. If negotiations are still ongoing, it means the timetable will have to be extended.
    And transistion agreement is possible extending the time to x.
    The transition agreement could only be staying in the EU for an unspecified additional amount of time.
    Agreed but possible
  • Options
    Despite what Continuity Osborne commented earlier, according to Ipsos MORI:

https://twitter.com/IpsosMORI/status/842384684743065600
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    Danny565 said:

Is there actually a mechanism for that though? AIUI the next election is in May 2020 or 2021 by law, depending on the date of the UK GE.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978

SeanT said:

JackW said:

Yep - it looks to me like May is doing precisely what Sturgeon wants her to do. Four more years of politics not as normal north of the border. The terms of the next Scottish assembly election have already been framed - and in exactly the way that the SNP would hope. In fact, that will now become a de facto independence poll.

In 2021 after UK election in 2020. The debate will have driven everyone crackers by then
    It is also quite possible that, by then, the UK will have negotiated a bespoke Brexit deal very similar to EEA, but with subtle tweaks on Free Movement (this is surely the UK's intention).

So the Scot Nats option of independence in the EEA will look pointlessly time consuming, and expensive, for almost no real difference with the rUK's position outside the EU, except Scotland will have no control over their currency, and no central bank.

I did make a similar observation yesterday. Sturgeon is no fool and the rush is because she must realise that a good UK deal would scupper Independence for a lifetime

The deal SeanT outlines - which is, indeed, the best deal we can hope for from here - would tear the Conservative party apart.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Can someone explain the premium charge in language an idiot can understand? I tried reading up on it the other day and it made my head hurt.
    There isn't really a simple explanation that non-accountants can easily understand. It's a complicated tax-type arrangement.

If you've used betfair for a while and consistently win more than you lose - BF start averaging out your profits over time and take a 20% fee. This effectively replaces the 5% commission.

Why do BF do this, when they make a commission on every bet anyway?

• Options
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

If May keeps us in the single market there will be no SindyRef2
  • Options
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

That deal would lead to Tory civil war.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,003
    edited March 2017

Pulpstar said:

Betfair want you to pay at least 20% commission on your gross lifetime profit.

If you go under 20% then they will charge the difference to your account. Currently I'm only generating 6.9% commission on my gross profits. The difference of 14.1% will be charged back as a sort of tax.

HOWEVER they give a lifetime allowance of £1000 to everyone. This means I'm not currently paying it.

So if I continue at 6.9% commission then I'll start paying in theory at

0.0692GPL + 1000 = 0.2 GPL

=£7293 Lifetime Gross Profit Loss.

The general formula is 1000/(0.2 - The Comm rate you generate for Betfair)

• Options

SeanT said:

JackW said:

That, of course, is the downside.
  • Options

SeanT said:

JackW said:

The deal SeanT outlines - which is, indeed, the best deal we can hope for from here - would tear the Conservative party apart.

Maybe but any deal that gets circa 70% voter approval with be accepted and if some want to go to UKIP so be it
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

Which is presumably why the SNP are going for this now. Their only hope to win is to jump in quick and hope to pull off a victory in all the confusion.

If a decent deal is clear, will they win? No.

If we are all out of the EU, will it worth leaving? No.

If SNP's support declines, will they succeed? No.

It's now or never for them.

• Options

Classic! Wasn’t Salmond a First Minister and party leader once upon a time, what happened?
    RUE THE DAY.

A PB Classic is trotted out.
    Tipping point
  • Options
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

JackW said:

That, of course, is the downside.

It would also mean the Four Editors of the Brexopalypse giving May bad headlines, so it will not happen.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,409
    edited March 2017
    Read a report that Amber Rudd is favourite to succeed Hammond. It would be an another conservative first, woman PM and woman COE at the same time and first woman COE
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Ishmael_Z said:

JackW said:

Chuckling would be appropriate for Cameron if May had engineered his downfall but she didn't, he did. I would permit Osborne a discreet smirk, but Cameron carries the can for each and every cockup by May.
    It's an interesting theory that Cameron wrote the budget, or is presently conducting the BREXIT negotiations or has just made the SNP's day.

Now the buck stops with the PM not the last incumbent.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Jason said:

Jason said:

Be interesting to see the next set of national polling figures. After a car crash week, if there's no dent in the Tory lead , or even only a few points, then they really are untouchable.

Down thread....Tory lead 13%, lead up by 2%. Mirroring other recent polling that still shows very large Tory leads with no obvious changes pre / post budget.
    I was thinking after the election expenses story and Hamond's U-turn. They've only really hit the fan the last couple of days. Can't believe there won't be some damage, even just short term. If there are convictions, that will change everything.
    If the NIC thing was going to hit the polls it would have post-budget. The election expenses fines, I doubt it, they will be lost in the noise of SIndy, France shooting, kid walking in on her dad giving an interview to BBC...if there are criminal trials thats a different kettle of fish...

The government is dead lucky that Corbyn Labour party is so bad. As I said at the time, with the NI changes, 1% more NI vs Labour's 50p tax rate + a 20% wealth tax, most people are going to shrug go, mutter about lying politicians breaking manifesto promises and go for the 1% more in NI.

It wasn't the public polling that caused the U-Turn, it was the government's own MPs and possibility they could rebel in a separate bill.
    Yes, but the polling hasn't been taken after the U turn and the election expenses story. We'll know soon enough, either way.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

If you go under 20% then they will charge the difference to your account. Currently I'm only generating 6.9% commission on my gross profits. The difference of 14.1% will be charged back as a sort of tax.

HOWEVER they give a lifetime allowance of £1000 to everyone. This means I'm not currently paying it.

Ah. Thanks. I *think* I've got that. I'm a long way off paying it yet but it's useful to know.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Why do BF do this, when they make a commission on every bet anyway?

1. Because shareholders
    2. Because they can
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,309
    I predict a lot less squabbling among the sometimes fractious elements of the Indy movement for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Classic! Wasn’t Salmond a First Minister and party leader once upon a time, what happened?
    RUE THE DAY.

Tipping point
    Cross-over!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,998

RUE THE DAY.

Tipping point
    Cross-over!
    Good for Yes! :smiley:
  • Options
    Awkward:

The Scottish Government, in its paper on “Scotland in the EU”, rejected any other alternatives to EU membership; most notably membership of the European Economic Area (EEA).

http://www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/CurrentCommittees/76844.aspx
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

SeanT said:

JackW said:

I don't think it would. Outside the ECJ, no freedom of movement, no CFP and no CAP, and financial passporting maintained would be very saleable to the great majority of the party, even if there were still a sizable annual fee.
  • Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642
    Sean

Your argument is logical. Hence why it may fall foul of the headbangers. I hope you are right, however.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    UN DE SCEAUX :D
  • Options

SeanT said:

JackW said:

I don't think it would. Outside the ECJ, no freedom of movement, no CFP and no CAP, and financial passporting maintained would be very saleable to the great majority of the party, even if there were still a sizable annual fee.
    More political freedom in return for effectively the same level of single market relationship as we have now would surely come with a higher fee attached than we pay now. Saleable?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2017
    SeanT said:

I think the Tories are inching towards accepting a near-EEA Brexit.

This is a leading Brexiteer, indeed the Minister for Brexit.

Davis basically admits no deal would be pretty disastrous. So there will have to be a deal. The EU will play hardball and demand that deal = hefty contributions, for subtle tweaks on Free Movement. There will be ongoing ECJ oversight in some areas. We will leave the rest of the acquis.

The hardcore Tory Brexiteers will go nuts, but they are a dwindling number. As we can see from Davis' behaviour here. TMay will rely on most of Westminster approving, and a weak opposition, to see her through.

The issue is whether our EU friends want to do such a deal, on reasonable terms (not the ludicrous €60bn for a starter). It would clearly be in their economic interests, but that may not be enough.
  • Options
    Who could forget:

The Magic Money Tree

(Actually everyone has forgotten it now)
  • Options
    Thought Un De Sceuax might run a big race, getting beaten by Sprinter Sacre was a bit like the horse equivalent of losing to Sugar Ray Leonard in middleweight boxing terms.
    Was surprised SkyBet were taking him on with a boost to 11-4 earlier...
  • Options
    The PM hasn't formally been asked, so there is nothing to report to the house.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    JackW said:

Ishmael_Z said:

JackW said:

It's an interesting theory that Cameron wrote the budget, or is presently conducting the BREXIT negotiations or has just made the SNP's day.

There is quite enough blame floating around to allocate some to the causa causans May and some to the causa sine qua non Cameron. I think any reasonable citizen who came across Cameron chuckling about the current state of the nation would feel duty bound to hit him repeatedly in the face with a cricket bat.
  • Options

SeanT said:

JackW said:

More political freedom in return for effectively the same level of single market relationship as we have now would surely come with a higher fee attached than we pay now. Saleable?
    No, obviously. And it wouldn't be taken.
  • Options

SeanT said:

JackW said:

Under a near EEA type scenario the ECJ would retain a significant say over UK law, while there would also be freedom of movement in all but name. I hope you are right though. I do think it is something that a majority in the UK would be OK with. That said, if the Four Editors are against it, May will be too.

• Options

SeanT said:

JackW said:

Then we're back to the basic contradiction that what 'we' want is the benefits of the EU without its constraints. Unless the EU goes out of its way to help the Brexiteers, at some point they will have to face up to some very hard choices.
  • Options
    They'd be allowed to vote if they were normally resident, right? I thought that is how it was done in indyref1.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Arf, oldies, but goldies from Salmond – it worked out so well the last time….!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

@nickeardleybbc 56m56 minutes ago
    Announcement in brief: UK gov't will reject any call at the moment, any future referendum wld have to be after Brexit & have public support

There it is. Will Sturgeon go for UDI? Answer: no. Of course not. She will grizzle and complain, but she is banjaxed. For now.

The 2021 Scottish election will now become a de facto referendum on independence.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728

SeanT said:

Announcement in brief: UK gov't will reject any call at the moment, any future referendum wld have to be after Brexit & have public support

There it is. Will Sturgeon go for UDI? Answer: no. Of course not. She will grizzle and complain, but she is banjaxed. For now.

The 2021 Scottish election will now become a de facto referendum on independence.

Big gift from Theresa.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Except there will have to be a referendum afterwards. It will be a de facto referendum on holding a referendum... :smiley:
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    A worrying development - http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN16N1BA

"Greek group claims it mailed parcel bomb to German finance minister"
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mebbes, but an AWFUL lot can happen in four years, especially the four years 2017-2021. As we all know.

The SNP might actually have to get on with governing Scotland.. shock horror!
  • Options
    Ian Dunt says the PMs got it wrong...

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/03/16/may-just-handed-nicola-sturgeon-the-greatest-gift

So that's cheered me up no end.....
  • Options
    If the UK government requires disenfranchising EU citizens to win the vote then that is beneath contempt.
  • Options

SeanT said:

JackW said:

Then we're back to the basic contradiction that what 'we' want is the benefits of the EU without its constraints. Unless the EU goes out of its way to help the Brexiteers, at some point they will have to face up to some very hard choices.
    Not just Britain though. The EU has a €60bn hole in its budget without the UK and there are a lot of exporters in Europe as well as in Britain who won't be keen on barriers going up at Dover.
  • Options
    Correct - it was bollocks for exactly these reasons...

" It was widely commented on after last week’s budget that he was treading on thin ice proposing a move that appeared to be in direct contradiction to a Conservative manifesto election pledge from 2015... The crazy thing is that in revenue terms this proposed change was not going to add up to all that much."
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

The UK's constitutional position is looking, right now, rather similar to Spain, with Madrid hardballing Barcelona.

After Brexit who knows what it will look like. But anyhow. WORK!!!!!! Goddam politics.

Later.

Difference is that in Spain it is illegal for Catalonia to secede without approval from the rest of Spain. That is not the case here: Scotland goes if Scotland wants to.

• Options
    RobD said:

They'd be allowed to vote if they were normally resident, right? I thought that is how it was done in indyref1.
    Normally resident EU citizens get to vote at council elections, euro elections and the Indyref.

The assumption being that post Brexit they would lose those rights.
  • Options

Not just Britain though. The EU has a €60bn hole in its budget without the UK and there are a lot of exporters in Europe as well as in Britain who won't be keen on barriers going up at Dover.
    The third largest trading partner of the EU is Russia which is why Putin was so shocked that they imposed sanctions over Ukraine. The leverage of business is limited.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    JackW said:

Ishmael_Z said:

JackW said:

There wouldn't be a BREXIT to negotiate were it not for Cameron's arrogance and foolishness...
  • Options

Read a report that Amber Rudd is favourite to succeed Hammond. It would be an another conservative first, woman PM and woman COE at the same time and first woman COE

Would be good to see a lady PM and CotE. Why not?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Pulpstar said:

I think I'll be clobbered quite soon. My lifetime commission rate is just 5.69% of gross profit (so I must have been choosing my bets well!) and I've only got £76 allowance left.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

The UK's constitutional position is looking, right now, rather similar to Spain, with Madrid hardballing Barcelona.

After Brexit who knows what it will look like. But anyhow. WORK!!!!!! Goddam politics.

Later.

Difference is that in Spain it is illegal for Catalonia to secede without approval from the rest of Spain. That is not the case here: Scotland goes if Scotland wants to.

Different in what sense? Westminster would need to approve legally. But of course it's all about political weight, not legal nicety.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    isam said:

isam said:

@JosiasJessop

Oh and I don't know why you said "LOL" about me not reading the UKIP manifesto? I didn't read it! Why would I lie?!

Maybe if you considered standing for the party you might have read the manifesto?
    I had decided not to stand long before the manifesto came out
    OK, probably best not to waste the ten minutes then.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

He mentioned women, not necessarily ladies
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Later.

Different in what sense? Westminster would need to approve legally. But of course it's all about political weight, not legal nicety.

Does the Spanish constitution require a referendum of all of Spain?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

lol. Look at the odds now on the timing of indyref2

2018: 16/1
    2019: 8/1
    2020 or after: evens

This, of course, is what I predicted on here, and I advised you all to bet accordingly, to some derision.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/scottish-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=1914391

Of course, aren't you marvellous?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2017

Good, isn't it?

Scotland had a referendum - the nationalists lost comprehensively.

Since that date the SNP have capitalised on the divided unionist grouping to create a very false impression of what actually happened and many observers seem to have forgotten that unionists are the majority yet they have precious little representation, particularly at Westminster.

Scotland needs 2020 and 2021 to have the opportunity to correct the over allocation of power and voice that it has given to the referendum losing minority, if it chooses.

The truth is that if May somehow ended up calling an early GE, the same thing would happen in Scotland as will happen in 2020/2021.

One major difference now is that the SNP have fully shown their hand. The substantial grouping of unionists that have voted SNP now know that 'once in a generation' promises are utterly worthless.

The SNP have no true desire to stand up for Scotland in the union, they just want to take Scotland out.

• Options
    SeanT said:

This, of course, is what I predicted on here, and I advised you all to bet accordingly, to some derision.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/scottish-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=1914391

I seem to remember you saying words to the effect of" it could be 2019, or 2020, or 2021 - bet accordingly" - hence the derision.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I think I'll be clobbered quite soon. My lifetime commission rate is just 5.69% of gross profit (so I must have been choosing my bets well!) and I've only got £76 allowance left.
    They are introducing the change retroactively? Sounds a bit harsh...
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    edited March 2017
    Worrying..

Hollande denounces "explosion" of explosion of a parcel bombed at IMF headquarters in Paris

A management assistant was wounded on Thursday when a courier exploded at the Paris headquarters of the International Monetary Fund.

En savoir plus sur http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2017/03/16/une-personne-blessee-au-siege-du-fmi-a-paris-lors-de-l-ouverture-d-un-courrier-piege_5095546_3224.html#5Wtx4xjo0wP4ArJq.99

Edit: I don't think the courier actually exploded, it was a package and it has been translated badly!!
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Pulpstar said:

Still. At least we're both around 6 grand up on the exchange.

Better than being 6 grand down...
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    RobD said:

No, it's not retroactive, but whether you start paying it depends on your total commission and profit to date.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

I seem to remember you saying words to the effect of" it could be 2019, or 2020, or 2021 - bet accordingly" - hence the derision.
    What I meant was, it was not going to happen in 2018 or early 2019, despite the bookies feeling this was pretty likely.

BTW I am in a posh Primrose Hill pub and hearing my first Brexit argument in ages. A posh Indian British woman (REMAIN) is having a posh polite but pretty firm argument with a younger white posh British woman (LEAVE).
    Tell them it's all over and not to bother arguing...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

RobD said:

No, it's not retroactive, but whether you start paying it depends on your total commission and profit to date.
    I weave in and out of paying it. I'll be paying it this coming week.
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Later.

Does the Spanish constitution require a referendum of all of Spain?

It says that only the Spanish people as a whole can approve a change in the territorial scope of Spain. It's up to the Spanish parliament to decide what that means.
  • Options
    What's this 'before its too late for Scotland to choose a different path' nonsense?

The UK is leaving the EU, with Scotland in it. Even if Scotland left the UK before the UK left the EU, Scotland would still have to apply to join the EU - but even that no longer appears to be SNP policy.....
  • Options

It says that only the Spanish people as a whole can approve a change in the territorial scope of Spain. It's up to the Spanish parliament to decide what that means.

The Westminster parliament is the only body which can legally approve Scottish secession, so it's not really very different.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896

Really ?

Could you send us a link to this piece of remarkable political insight ?

Amber Rudd as Chancellor ? Honestly ? She's even more hapless than Hammond. It's lucky May's Cabinet is so devoid of any actual ability as it makes the Prime Minister look smi-competent.

Compared to the Labour Front Bench, she's a political giant but then so am I and the mad cat woman who lives four doors down...

• Options

What's this 'before its too late for Scotland to choose a different path' nonsense?

The UK is leaving the EU, with Scotland in it. Even if Scotland left the UK before the UK left the EU, Scotland would still have to apply to join the EU - but even that no longer appears to be SNP policy.....

Yes, it's the most absurd nonsense. Presumably she doesn't expect any sentient being to take it seriously, so it's only meant as an input to grievance factory.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

RobD said:

It is retroactive in that when they first introduced it two or three years ago, they included all your profits from whenever you first opened your account with them.

It is a very harsh charge. If they felt they had to make such a charge, then one would have hoped there would have been a sliding scale with various increased rates, going up to a ceiling of 20%, so that the bigger winners pay a higher percentage than the smaller regular winners.

But they pretty much have a monopoly in the betting exchange world, so they can do what they like.

I think their only competition, BetDaq, has just one market in the political section.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    chestnut said:

Good, isn't it?

Since that date the SNP have capitalised on the divided unionist grouping to create a very false impression of what actually happened and many observers seem to have forgotten that unionists are the majority yet they have precious little representation, particularly at Westminster.

Scotland needs 2020 and 2021 to have the opportunity to correct the over allocation of power and voice that it has given to the referendum losing minority, if it chooses.

The truth is that if May somehow ended up calling an early GE, the same thing would happen in Scotland as will happen in 2020/2021.

One major difference now is that the SNP have fully shown their hand. The substantial grouping of unionists that have voted SNP now know that 'once in a generation' promises are utterly worthless.

The SNP have no true desire to stand up for Scotland in the union, they just want to take Scotland out.

I hope that the SNP will place at No. 1 in their manifesto a commitment to leaving the UK if they are returned with a majority.

Since there appears to be no appetite for any other party in Scotland, that would settle the question once and for all.

The SNP are apparently incapable of governing in the interests of anything beyond Independence. Fair enough; that's their reason for being.

The Scottish people roundly reject a Westminster government - even one with a Scottish PM & CoTE - so Independence appears to be the only way that they will be able, ultimately, to gain a government that will look after their own domestic affairs.
  • Options
    Sean

A scene rarely seen in Primrose Hill. I suspect you and the younger lady are the only two Leavers in the district.
  • Options

I predict a lot less squabbling among the sometimes fractious elements of the Indy movement for the foreseeable future.

Oh I do get the odd peek at some of these - especially number 5 'Competent vs Bampots'

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/03/5-biggest-splits-behind-snps-disciplined-facade
  • Options
    Totally off topic:

Stardew Valley is an incredible game.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Bojabob said:

SeanT said:

What I meant was, it was not going to happen in 2018 or early 2019, despite the bookies feeling this was pretty likely.

BTW I am in a posh Primrose Hill pub and hearing my first Brexit argument in ages. A posh Indian British woman (REMAIN) is having a posh polite but pretty firm argument with a younger white posh British woman (LEAVE).
    Tell them it's all over and not to bother arguing...
    Or decide which one you want to take home with you and agree with her?
  • Options

The Westminster parliament is the only body which can legally approve Scottish secession, so it's not really very different.

In theory, maybe not; but it is in practice - and we can see that in what has happened today.

The government in Westminster has said that if there is a specific mandate for an independence referendum at the next Scottish election (or perhaps even following the next GE), then there will be a binding referendum on independence. In Spain the government has ruled out a referendum whatever the Catalans might vote for - and it has refused to agree to such referenda in the past, stating specifically that it is a matter for the Spanish people as a whole. This is not an argument any British government has ever used. And given the precedent set in 2014, it is not one that would stand up to legal scrutiny now IMO.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Totally off topic:

Stardew Valley is an incredible game.

My other half plays it relentlessly.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,009

isam said:

isam said:

@JosiasJessop

Oh and I don't know why you said "LOL" about me not reading the UKIP manifesto? I didn't read it! Why would I lie?!

Maybe if you considered standing for the party you might have read the manifesto?
    I had decided not to stand long before the manifesto came out
    OK, probably best not to waste the ten minutes then.
    When someone says a party is 8/1 in a by election, and you say "buying opportunity", what do you mean by that?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: bears may partake in woodland defecation, says Horner:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39291468

I already posted this but it's interesting enough for a second outing - McLaren are looking at maybe getting a Mercedes engine:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39290908
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It would be very good and another conservative first.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,309

Oh I do get the odd peek at some of these - especially number 5 'Competent vs Bampots'

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/03/5-biggest-splits-behind-snps-disciplined-facade
    It happens.

Still, I'm sure you're at one with your Sturgeon hating fellow travellers.

https://twitter.com/SturgeonAbuse
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

chestnut said:

Good, isn't it?

I hope that the SNP will place at No. 1 in their manifesto a commitment to leaving the UK if they are returned with a majority.
    Doing the former may preclude the latter. There is a not insignificant chunk of Union supporting SNP voters.

18% of SNP voters voted 'no' in 2014

21% of SNP Voters are 'No/Don't Know' in another SindyRef

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/k39gmatrzb/Times_Scotland_Results_170314_VI_Indy2_Trade_Domestic_Website.pdf
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

In theory, maybe not; but it is in practice - and we can see that in what has happened today.

The government in Westminster has said that if there is a specific mandate for an independence referendum at the next Scottish election (or perhaps even following the next GE), then there will be a binding referendum on independence. In Spain the government has ruled out a referendum whatever the Catalans might vote for - and it has refused to agree to such referenda in the past, stating specifically that it is a matter for the Spanish people as a whole. This is not an argument any British government has ever used. And given the precedent set in 2014, it is not one that would stand up to legal scrutiny now IMO.
    That out MPs have more self respect and respect for others than their Spanish counterparts doesn't change the legal situation.
  • Options

The third largest trading partner of the EU is Russia which is why Putin was so shocked that they imposed sanctions over Ukraine. The leverage of business is limited.
    I suppose we'd better not invade Norway then.

Seriously, can't you see the difference between the two?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Alistair, what is the meaning of Stardew Valley?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

I really don't believe that the view taken by the Cameron Govt in 2014 is in any sense legally binding on future Administrations.
This discussion has been closed.