Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember five months ago when Hammond thought he was unsackabl

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,023
    Cyan said:

OllyT said:

Mr. Bojabob, so, because your side lost a vote you no longer love a country that previously you did?

That's rather sad. Sadder still that you feel as much (or more) loyalty to foreigners than your own people.

Mr. Nabavi, indeed, and I wish those who keep raising stupid little regional assemblies in England would learn that lesson and not make an even worse error of judgement.

Although a centrist in political terms I'm an atheist and oppose the idea of an hereditary head of state.a patriot I would have to subscribe to "God Save the Queen" so in all honesty I can't consider myself a patriot either - the concept has pretty much been appropriated by English right -wingers in the UK.
    Monarchism is a right-wing thing. Personally I avoid calling Britain the "UK". The UK is a political regime. Britain is a country. Calling Britain "the UK" is like calling France "the fifth Republic". I am English and British but I am not a "UK-er", other than that's the monarchist crap that's written on my passport.
    Britain is not and never has been a country.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,180

Bojabob said:

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Seems pretty simple to me: there will be no independence referendum this side of 2020. But when one happens, May has given the SNP even more material to play with. Sturgeon has 45% er Unionists will not be around to cast their votes next time).

Same old arguments, eh?

May bad
    The Union is breaking apart

Meanwhile, in the real world, the only people whinging are the SNP and the bitter Remainers who are cheering her on for some masochistic reason that few of us British patriots can understand.
    They want two New Swedens. An independent Scotland led by the SNP and a United Ireland led by Sinn Fein.

Nah - unlike so-called British patriots somes state.

I no longer consider myself a British patriot. That endeat 65-70%.

I want the Union to survive, but cannot see how it can long-term. I don't blame Scots for wanting out. Right wing English nationalism is not attractive, conciliatory or collaborative. Maybe a Scandinavia style set-up is the way to go.

usual english creeping

it's quite repellent

odd that you dont blame the welsh

Why should I? It was the English votes that mattered.

ah yes the welsh dont count

however, the closeness of the vote suggest they do, as did the votes of scots and paddies who also voted out

but like all english lefties you only want to wallow in Uriah Heep style self loathing

George Orwell really did have it down to a tee

Nah - I do not loathe myself, my English family or English people generally. But the fact is that it was the votes of the English that mattered in the EU referendum.

no it was the votes of british citizens that mattered.

all were equal, thats what a country is about

Don't kid yourself. It's England that decides.

Not always, in 1964 in February 1974 we elected Labour governments despite the Tories winning most English seats
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    RoyalBlue said:

Pong said:

Jonathan said:

I'm very sad.

Today, I do not believe Britain will be a thing in ten years.

This is an utter catastrophe.

It's being destroyed not by Scottish nationalism but by English nationalism.
    Indeed.

It's the English right who have walked away from the union.
    Yes, and in doing so they may ultimately be creating an inevitability around losing other positions of strength e.g. permanent seat on the UN security council.

Can you actually explain how this would happen under the UN Charter?

No, you can't.
    What makes you so sure that everything is cast in stone? As balances of power shift and if English nationalism does result in a much diminished UK (indeed would it legally be the same entity?) it will be increasingly difficult to justify Britain's historic seats of privilege.

The likes of the BRICS are unlikely to accept the status quo indefinitely. But I don't expect gung ho empire 2.0 builders to recognise England's vulnerability.

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    JackW said:

Jack, how do you make ANY practical effort to bring the Scots on board? They voted for the other side of a binary choice.

There is one thing we can take from Sturgeon's actions. A Miliband Govt. propped up by the SNP would have been every bit in the pocket of the Scots as the election poster suggested.

Of course it was a binary choice but so it would appear was the binary choice to pull in the devolved governments or not. May chose not to.

On the day May became PM I reiterated that she should invoke A50 immediately and announce our exit date as 31st December 2018. The UK required clarity. Further she should have told Sturgeon that she accepted the situation had decisively changed and recognized the SNP mandate for another referendum that could take place in the Spring of 2018.

Instead we have had dither and a complete clusterf*ck.
    Great Points. How do I vote for you?
This discussion has been closed.