Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest French presidential polling has one-time odds-favourite

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2017
    Scott_P said:

@AP_Politics: BREAKING: President Trump has left the White House on Marine One on an unannounced trip, White House has not disclosed his destination.

I thought it had been a quiet day on the Orange One front....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@jimbo3030: @UKLabour Congratulations on choosing your winning strategy of sharing 37% of the electorate with the Tories and UKIP.

52% LEAVE
    48% REMAIN
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Scott_P said:

@AP_Politics: BREAKING: President Trump has left the White House on Marine One on an unannounced trip, White House has not disclosed his destination.

Have they checked Twitter?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    We Brexiteers still need to get this thing through committee, unamended, third reading, and the Lords. Lets not get too eurphoric
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    glw said:

Scott_P said:

Have they checked Twitter?
    He has been surprisingly quiet. No tweets for over 8hrs.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974

dr_spyn said:
    Amazing. My whole adult life (pretty much most of my entire life, actually) it's been the Tories who've been split on Europe.
    I'd have said "Don't be absurd" if 5 years ago, someone had predicted that the Commons would vote to leave the EU by a huge majority today.
  • Options
    So much for the doom and gloom - CNBC reporting big jump in pound due to good UK manufacturing and Theresa May's large mandate to leave creating certainty of direction
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    so what are the thoughts of pb on Nuttall's home address?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    Dear old Ken Barking mad to the end.
    Who are 3 independents? Hermon, Danczuk and ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Blue_rog said:

We Brexiteers still need to get this thing through committee, unamended, third reading, and the Lords. Lets not get too eurphoric

Whatever happens next week, this is the easy part.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    I'd like Ken Clarke to stand as an MP again. I know he'll have been one for 50 years in 2020, and the Tories are now a long way away from many of his views (not that being in favour of the EU was a tiny position among them a year ago, though sticking to that position post referendum certainly is), but it seems only fair that every party has at least one cantankerous grandee moaning at them all the time.

Even funnier would be if he finally lived up to the 'Lib Dem in all but name' jokes (Clegg even made the joke at conference) and flipped sides after 50 years as a Tory MP (though I would think like lifelong Labour supporters now denounced as Tories in all but name but leadership supporters, he'd never do so).
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

Whatever happens next week, this is the easy part.
    No one ever said this would be easy - but I bet the Eurocrats in Brussels are very worried tonight with Theresa May's mandate and their real problems with Trump
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'd like Ken Clarke to stand as an MP again. I know he'll have been one for 50 years in 2020, and the Tories are now a long way away from many of his views (not that being in favour of the EU was a tiny position among them a year ago, though sticking to that position post referendum certainly is), but it seems only fair that every party has at least one cantankerous grandee moaning at them all the time.

Even funnier would be if he finally lived up to the 'Lib Dem in all but name' jokes (Clegg even made the joke at conference) and flipped sides after 50 years as a Tory MP (though I would think like lifelong Labour supporters now denounced as Tories in all but name but leadership supporters, he'd never do so).

Agreed. I like Ken Clarke.
  • Options

matt said:

dr_spyn said:
    No, he's entitled to his opinion. Just as the bastards were. I've always felt that thematically, history moves in cycles and were currently at the furthest point from KCs views. Query whether we always will be.
    What I take issue with is his attitude, very Ted Heath. In that if you disagree with him you are deluded and/or irretrievably stupid.
    That's not entirely fair. Clarke respects the headbangers on the other side (like Bill Cash) who take a principled but different view.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

dr_spyn said:
    Who are 3 independents? Hermon, Danczuk and ?
    I believe there are 2 or 3 SNP MPs who have had the whip withdrawn. Most likely 2 of them plus Sylvia Hermon.
  • Options
    Believe in BRITAIN!

Be LEAVE!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MrsB said:

not a lot, though the Potters don't like caretbaggers.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

That even if it is a technicality it should not be difficult to adhere to such rules, so punishment would be just. However it is probably true that if his election were voided on that basis (assuming he won, which I do not think is likely) he, if permitted to re-stand, or another UKIP candidate, would win quite handily. In of itself, however, not a reason for someone not to challenge his election if indeed the allegation is correct - if it is known he breached and no-one challenges, they might as well repeal the requirement.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

MrsB said:

Still elected one with the right rosette last time though. if unenthusiastically. So they don't mind that much.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    The bravest MP there is Paul Farrelly, MP for Newcastle-U-Lyme. He only has a majority of 650 and the borough voted 63% leave
  • Options
    edited February 2017

MrsB said:

I'm not sure I would go "up Hanley" and call a ClayHead an inward looking racist and tell them that their town(s) were a pile of shit.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

dr_spyn said:
    Amazing. My whole adult life (pretty much most of my entire life, actually) it's been the Tories who've been split on Europe.
    Jezza is truly a special talent.
    In the Seventies it was Labour that was split on Europe, and in 1983 ran on a manifesto to leave.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

dr_spyn said:
    Jezza is truly a special talent.
    In the Seventies it was Labour that was split on Europe, and in 1983 ran on a manifesto to leave.
    If Labour's only problem was a split on Europe. Jezza is a man of many talents.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    @Peter_from_Putney: you win... but only just :smile:
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    MrsB said:

I wouldn't book it on Airbnb.

Personally, I don't think he should be excluded from the ballot on a technicality. If Labour win, it should be by defeating Nuttall.
  • Options

MrsB said:

I wouldn't book it on Airbnb.

LOL....seemed to be somewhat lacking in that homely feel. Not sure the facilities or the views were up to much either.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

The rules is the rules.

UKIP have done this way too often in various elections and need o be shown that it is not acceptable.

Besides, who would want someone as MP who can't even organise their own election properly? He would probably do a Baldrick and forget what he was supposed to be voting for.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

tlg86 said:
    The bravest MP there is Paul Farrelly, MP for Newcastle-U-Lyme. He only has a majority of 650 and the borough voted 63% leave
    It's a fine line between bravery and stupidity.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

tlg86 said:
    Blimey.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    rcs1000 said:

What book is that from?

It appears to be from Jenkins biography of Churchill
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974
    kle4 said:

It was his swan song, but it was an impressive speech.

What would Enoch Powell think of the current Conservative Party? He'd probably be very supportive of leaving the EU, curbs on immigration, and gay marriage. But, hostile towards any drift towards protectionism.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:
    Depends on if he is planning to stand at the next election I suppose. Given that majority, if he is planning to, then fair play for being prepared to face the consequences of his decision.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:
    Such contempt for the Potters from a eurofanatic won't help Snell much.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:
    Such contempt for the Potters from a eurofanatic won't help Snell much.
    That is a very good point.

PAGING UKIP media team....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715

tlg86 said:
    also none of the Chukka or Benns
    No one was expecting Hilary Benn to vote against - he had made it very clear that he would support the bill. I would have made a nuisance of myself at CLP if he had said otherwise.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Blimey.
    The 2nd bravest has to be Mary Creagh in Wakefield. Her majority is only 2,600 and the borough voted 66% leave
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

glw said:

dr_spyn said:
    I'm fairly sure that MPs in the last stage of terminal illnesses have voted before. On important votes and when you want a say you make the effort.
    I seem remember John Major being ill when the cabinet were being rallied to vote for Maggie shortly before she was deposed.
    Maybe she has been sitting at his knee.
    He was at the dentist and couldn't speak.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Peter_from_Putney: you win... but only just :smile:

That's surely a mite ungracious .... I forecast 495 MPs in favour of Brexit, compared with the actual figure of 498. I'd say my win was well deserved!
  • Options
    Senate has voted to confirm Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State

Not too familar with US politics but does that mean he now succeeds John Kerry
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Just logged in to read the news about Charlie Falconer. I think I need a lie down!
  • Options
    BBC 9.00 news ignoring the historic vote preferring US politics over UK
  • Options

MrsB said:

The rules is the rules.

UKIP have done this way too often in various elections and need o be shown that it is not acceptable.

Besides, who would want someone as MP who can't even organise their own election properly? He would probably do a Baldrick and forget what he was supposed to be voting for.
    What has Nuttall done? I didn't see the programme.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

MrsB said:

The rules is the rules.

So the Cliffs from Crick piece, Nuttall doesn't appear to have been living at the address he put down (when it filled in the forms), but is now. That can't stop him being on the ballot. However, in theory, if he wins, another party could complain and potentially the result nullified.

The only problem from the Vox pops on the streets of Stoke, it didn't sound like the public would be react favourably to that. In fact, Nutall might not be right wing enough for their tastes, they sounded like they would prefer The Orange one to be standing.
  • Options

MrsB said:

The rules is the rules.

I certainly don't blame Crick for highlighting what is a breach of the rules. But as for redress, well, I think that can safely be left in the hands of the electorate. If they think that the fact Nuttall has parachuted himself into the seat is a negative, they should bear that in mind when voting.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

What would Enoch Powell think of the current Conservative Party? He'd probably be very supportive of leaving the EU, curbs on immigration, and gay marriage. But, hostile towards any drift towards protectionism.
    Was Powell a supporter of gay marriage?!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Blimey.
    The 2nd bravest has to be Mary Creagh in Wakefield. Her majority is only 2,600 and the borough voted 66% leave
    John Redwood's constituency voted 57% Remain.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

He was opposed to criminalisation, that's all I know.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Blimey.
    Pitiful majority of 24,000...!
  • Options

Jobabob said:

MrsB said:

The rules is the rules.

So the Cliffs from Crick piece, Nuttall doesn't appear to have been living at the address he put down (when it filled in the forms), but is now. That can't stop him being on the ballot. However, in theory, if he wins, another party could complain and potentially the result nullified.

The only problem from the Vox pops on the streets of Stoke, it didn't sound like the public would be react favourably to that. In fact, Nutall might not be right wing enough for their tastes, they sounded like they would prefer The Orange one to be standing.
    Ideally yes, we need Labour to lose this seat and UKIP are doing their usual trick of being utterly incompetent. Let's hope Stoke is where Trump is going now in Marine One. Parachuted in?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Blimey.
    Who will really care who voted for A50 or not in the long run? I certainly would not hold that against an MP who did not vote for it or against it. I think in the longer run voters will decide on who delivers the optimum for them (Once they get rid of Corbyn).

I do think British politics has been infected by an almost Gestapo like political fervour in which if people dare to not follow with the crowd they are deemed infidels! I hope this fades away now this process of A50 goes away because it is very distasteful.
  • Options
    Is the presidents ship called Navy One and his Staff Ca

AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Blimey.
    Who will really care who voted for A50 or not in the long run? I certainly would not hold that against an MP who did not vote for it or against it. I think in the longer run voters will decide on who delivers the optimum for them (Once they get rid of Corbyn).

I do think British politics has been infected by an almost Gestapo like political fervour in which if people dare to not follow with the crowd they are deemed infidels! I hope this fades away now this process of A50 goes away because it is very distasteful.
    Yes there is a quiet (and not so quiet) fascism about the whole thing: traitors, quislings, etc etc. It makes me shudder in same way that people fawning about the monarchy does.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

No he voted against equalling the age of consent, on a technicality. Matthew Parris confronted him about it and Powel apologised profusely but still clung to the technicality as to why voted against.. And for the fucking life of me I cant remember the technicality.

Powell of course when younger was in love with at least one young man.

• Options

Jobabob said:

Clive Lewis has pledged to resign. Should be an Endangered mark on him.
    Perhaps we could deploy the threatened species classification system?

Vulnerable, Endangered, Critically Endangered... Extinct.
    Into which category would we place Lord Falconer?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Is the presidents ship called Navy One and his Staff Ca

AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Blimey.

Yes there is a quiet (and not so quiet) fascism about the whole thing: traitors, quislings, etc etc. It makes me shudder in same way that people fawning about the monarchy does.
    The only problem with that theory is that the government is pro-leave but the baying (sp?) crowds are pro-remain.
  • Options
    What's the history between Trump and Mark Cuban? It seems like the media go to guy to give his opinion of Trump.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018

Jobabob said:

MrsB said:

The rules is the rules.

Nutall is certainly showing a lot of promise in his mastery of alternative facts.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

As for the EU he fought IT continuously, He even urged tory voters to vote Labour in the (i think) 1974 election because they were offering a referundum.
    Have you not seen the clip where at a hustings on leaving the Conservative party over Europe he is called Judas....."Judas, Judas, Judas was paid I am making a sacrifice"
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177

Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

As for the EU he fought IT continuously, He even urged tory voters to vote Labour in the (i think) 1974 election because they were offering a referundum.
    Have you not seen the clip where at a hustings on leaving the Conservative party over Europe he is called Judas....."Judas, Judas, Judas was paid I am making a sacrifice"
    That was brilliant. Bladder full maybe.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Just watched Crick's report from Stoke-on-Trent and the clear message is that Nuttall is a bit too left-wing for their liking.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Mythological.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Mythological.
    LOL
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Just watched Crick's report from Stoke-on-Trent and the clear message is that Nuttall is a bit too left-wing for their liking.

Too left wing in what way ?

Economic, cultural or something else ?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

MrsB said:

The rules is the rules.

It's not just a question of invalidating the result. It's potentially a criminal matter. From the Electoral Commission:

"You should be aware that it is a serious offence to include false information on any of
    your nomination forms. Providing a false statement could invalidate your election,
    and is also punishable by an unlimited fine and/or six months imprisonment in
    England and Wales (12 months on indictment)"

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/electoral_commission_pdf_file/0015/14154/UKPE-CA-by-election-guidance.pdf

Maybe the UK's version of James Comey will step up to the mark.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Scott_P said:
    Sooner or later, someone will work out what type of Labour members these mostly are/were: supporters of Mr Corbyn, or supporters of a more traditional Labour approach. If the latter - people for whom this is the last straw - then Labour's left wing is strengthened even more.
  • Options
    Crickey...

Prosecutors Weigh Child-Pornography Charges Against Anthony Weiner

https://www.wsj.com/articles/prosecutors-weigh-child-pornography-charges-against-anthony-weiner-1485894771
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

What's the history between Trump and Mark Cuban? It seems like the media go to guy to give his opinion of Trump.

Mark Cuban is actually rich rather than being paper rich, is an arsehole and doesn't like Trump. So is very willing to give sound bites.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Alistair said:

Mark Cuban is actually rich rather than being paper rich, is an arsehole and doesn't like Trump. So is very willing to give sound bites.
    I understand this, but he appears to have some previous personal relational with Trump, as his interviews always seem to contain stories stated in a manner of knowing a lot more about Trump than simply having met him on a few occasions at the Billionaire Club Annual Ball.

I wondered what the story was. Maybe there isn't one, other than realizing the Orange one with tiny hands is a giant douche with an even bigger ego than himself.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:
    Sooner or later, someone will work out what type of Labour members these mostly are/were: supporters of Mr Corbyn, or supporters of a more traditional Labour approach. If the latter - people for whom this is the last straw - then Labour's left wing is strengthened even more.
    I am sort of thinking that ed Milibands obvious manoeuvres are aimed at a breakaway real Labour party in the event of by election disaster later this month. I can't believe he fancies another shot at leadership for himself, but he might be contemplating eminence grise status in a new party.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Labour is an ex-Party

@paulwaugh: Asked if shad ministers to be sacked, Corbyn team say those "decisions will be taken at a later stage". So whips who defied own whip remain.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

dr_spyn said:
    I'd have said "Don't be absurd" if 5 years ago, someone had predicted that the Commons would vote to leave the EU by a huge majority today.
    Not only would Leaving the EU have seemed like a pipe dream 16 years ago, it wouldn't even have crossed my mind.
  • Options
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    A very clever Peter Brookes Cartoon IMHO on many different levels.

https://twitter.com/Cartoon4sale/status/826917798458847237

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:
    I am sort of thinking that ed Milibands obvious manoeuvres are aimed at a breakaway real Labour party in the event of by election disaster later this month. I can't believe he fancies another shot at leadership for himself, but he might be contemplating eminence grise status in a new party.
    Yes, that's a reasonable conclusion to draw. There's something up.
  • Options

MrsB said:

I'm not sure I would go "up Hanley" and call a ClayHead an inward looking racist and tell them that their town(s) were a pile of shit.
    When did anyone outside your febrile head say that?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

MrsB said:

When did anyone outside your febrile head say that?
    What, "Go Up Hanley"?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

A very clever Peter Brookes Cartoon IMHO on many different levels.

https://twitter.com/Cartoon4sale/status/826917798458847237

could you explain it for my friend? perhaps he's too young to remember...
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:
    Not a breakaway, but a run for the leadership possibly, with the intention of stepping down after a couple of years.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Scott_P said:

https://apnews.com/d4bccd7dc3a64e56aa51ad75379d1ef6
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:
    Miliband has a massively leave voting constituency. If he wants to set up a Pro-Europe Labour, he'll need to find a new seat.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Politically I think Corbyn has made a big mistake with his support for A50. He has alienated the overwhelming majority of his own supporters - the most intense supporters of the EU. He won't gain more voters from now-kippers. They won't just say "oh he supports brexit so never mind the wage caps, the IRA, Hamas, etc etc etc" and go back to him. He's weakened his own position in the party considerably for no electoral gain.

To be clear I support the voting in favour of A50, but think as far as internal party politics go it was a mistake for him.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Labour is an ex-Party

@paulwaugh: Asked if shad ministers to be sacked, Corbyn team say those "decisions will be taken at a later stage". So whips who defied own whip remain.

Would it be wrong to say Jeremy Corbyn’s authority is crumbling away?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Scott_P said:

https://apnews.com/d4bccd7dc3a64e56aa51ad75379d1ef6
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/02/01/donald-trump-pays-respects-navy-seal-slain-yemen/
  • Options

Politically I think Corbyn has made a big mistake with his support for A50. He has alienated the overwhelming majority of his own supporters - the most intense supporters of the EU. He won't gain more voters from now-kippers. They won't just say "oh he supports brexit so never mind the wage caps, the IRA, Hamas, etc etc etc" and go back to him. He's weakened his own position in the party considerably for no electoral gain.

To be clear I support the voting in favour of A50, but think as far as internal party politics go it was a mistake for him.

I actually think tonight demonstrates that he thinks he'll be leading Labour into the next election.

It was the first time I've seen him make a decision based on electoral maths.
  • Options

Declaring a free vote, and his own intention to vote with the government would have been enough.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:
    Miliband has a massively leave voting constituency. If he wants to set up a Pro-Europe Labour, he'll need to find a new seat.
    I think you underestimate how much currency 'they lied to you' will have over the next few years.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:
    I think you underestimate how much currency 'they lied to you' will have over the next few years.
    blah blah blah

However Ed could win an internecine war, when Corbyn collapses. Shame that 50/1 (Ladbrokes) is not particularly tempting. I'd be prepared to back him at 100/1 - for a small sum of course.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:
    Not a breakaway, but a run for the leadership possibly, with the intention of stepping down after a couple of years.
    It would be interesting to see a poll of the Labour selectorate. Do we know the state of play at Unite? If McCluskey is beaten by the moderate challenger in the union's spring election Jezza's position looks weaker still.
  • Options

Declaring a free vote, and his own intention to vote with the government would have been enough.
    Well quite.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited February 2017
    @TheWhiteRabbit
    England's Glory Matches made by Morelands of Gloucester, later owned by Bryant & May. Boat based on HMS Devastation. The brand is currently owned by Swedish Match.

I liked the playing on words, and use of images. In any case my father took me on visits to inspect the factory.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I actually think tonight demonstrates that he thinks he'll be leading Labour into the next election.

It was the first time I've seen him make a decision based on electoral maths.
    Given that most 2015 Labour voters are Remainers his grasp of maths must be as poor as his grasp of leadership.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:
    blah blah blah

However Ed could win an internecine war, when Corbyn collapses. Shame that 50/1 (Ladbrokes) is not particularly tempting. I'd be prepared to back him at 100/1 - for a small sum of course.
    How about a pan-European movement:

En Marche
    Emmanuel Macron
    Ed Miliband
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Jobabob said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AnneJGP said:

Scott_P said:
    Dream on. It's all you have.
  • Options
    Times reporting Tory backbenchers are threatening to cause trouble if May doesn't guarantee certain things e.g EU citizens to stay.
This discussion has been closed.