Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And now the fourth Presidential Inauguration since PB was foun

Comments

• Options

I agree with @Jonathan. Obama's been the best POTUS in my lifetime (though that lifetime is only 23 years). I'll miss him when he's gone (and Michelle too).

I'll show my age and say LBJ!
    Why do say LBJ out of interest? In regard to his administration all I know is that under him the Civil Rights Act passed and the US went into Vietnam.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

As the flip side to Hillary, what must Trump be feeling now? An incredible moment for a total outsider, the Leicester City of politicians. Whatever you think of him, chapeau.

What a remarkable achievement for a billionaire son of a millionaire to reach high office.

Obama's achievement is greater.

Yep. Being the first African-American man to hold office is a much greater achievement than a orange-tanned white man being born into wealth going on to be President. Barack and Michelle Obama have inspired many in the eight years with their stories. I'm not actually sure who Trump 'inspires'.
    Obama was half-white :)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445

I agree with @Jonathan. Obama's been the best POTUS in my lifetime (though that lifetime is only 23 years). I'll miss him when he's gone (and Michelle too).

I would agree. No one has shown a similar ability to actually get stuff done.

No doubt SeanT will tell us that actually he was a diabolist who raped at will or something.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,952
    Chuck Schumer with the job of the token Democrat trying desperately to sound gracious.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Pulpstar said:

@SeanT you're not the first person to tell me that. Ah well, I have my whole life ahead of me to become 'unsheltered'.

Tim_B said:

Scott_P said:
    My heart goes out to the Americans.
    This is no surprise. His talking head has been a feature on FNC since brexit
    If they wanted to get a Brexiteer on FNC they should have gotten Dan Hannan.
    Dan Hannan ?

He is a charismatic speaker, but his stock is in the toilet right now. Farage never promised or wanted the single market.
    Hannan uses far too many big words for Fox. Farage is much more their speed. *sheldonesque look of haughty disdain*
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@SeanT you're not the first person to tell me that. Ah well, I have my whole life ahead of me to become 'unsheltered'.

Tim_B said:

Scott_P said:
    Dan Hannan ?

He is a charismatic speaker, but his stock is in the toilet right now. Farage never promised or wanted the single market.
    Are you really saying Hannan's stock is in the toilet right now all because he wanted to stay in the single market? Really?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    This letter to Sarah is dreary stuff. And is he really called Baloo?
  • Options

Why do say LBJ out of interest? In regard to his administration all I know is that under him the Civil Rights Act passed and the US went into Vietnam.
    Passing Civil Rights was a monumental achievement given the resistance and conflict.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

The moon landing. Kennedy had the vision but it was delivered under LBJ.

Nixon must be the worst, catastrophic for NASA - even worse than Obama.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Pulpstar said:

Kennedy put a man on the Moon. I wonder what Trump can achieve. His tech squillionaire meeting was a very positive step I thought.

Economically he might just be brilliant... Socially I expect him to be a fairly standard republican.

Kennedy as President had many achievements, and huge failures, but his private life was pretty bad, and in the modern era he would have faired very badly under today's media scrutiny.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

Reagan is hands down the best president of my lifetime.

Of course he is. Reagan was and is the best president since Roosevelt. He won the Cold War, FFS.

Clinton, Obama, Bush 1 and 2, and indeed Nixon and LBJ etc, are dwarves in comparison.

The gipper was interesting. It is worth checking out his 1960s speeches on YT which dispel any comparison with Trump. But wrt to the cold war he was in the right place at the right time. Communism was failing under its own contradictions and would have fallen anyway.

• Options
    perdix said:

Scott_P said:
    Its been pretty obvious that Farage has been angling for some well paid sinecures in the States. If Fox News is the most trusted television source in the USA I have sympathy for Americans. Murdoch's fingerprints all over it.

The O'Reilly Factor is one of the most popular news shows in the US. That alone I find utterly mind boggling.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    SeanT said:

Probably the hottest FLOTUS since Jackie Kennedy?\

It's important to focus on these vital issues.

38-24-36?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    OMG the guy who was just speaking has a voice very similar to the evil angel from an old Star Trek episode
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Ishmael_Z said:

This letter to Sarah is dreary stuff. And is he really called Baloo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Ballou

It was memorably quoted in "The Civil War" tv series by Ken Burns.

Schumer was less memorable
  • Options

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

As the flip side to Hillary, what must Trump be feeling now? An incredible moment for a total outsider, the Leicester City of politicians. Whatever you think of him, chapeau.

What a remarkable achievement for a billionaire son of a millionaire to reach high office.

Yep. Being the first African-American man to hold office is a much greater achievement than a orange-tanned white man being born into wealth going on to be President. Barack and Michelle Obama have inspired many in the eight years with their stories. I'm not actually sure who Trump 'inspires'.
    He identifies as Black though. Many mixed race people do actually, especially those of Obama's generation.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    SeanT said:

You mean fluking it to the top and crashing and burning a few months later?
  • Options
    so, for a few minutes Obama is president and Pence is Veep?
  • Options

perdix said:

Scott_P said:
    Its been pretty obvious that Farage has been angling for some well paid sinecures in the States. If Fox News is the most trusted television source in the USA I have sympathy for Americans. Murdoch's fingerprints all over it.

The O'Reilly Factor is one of the most popular news shows in the US. That alone I find utterly mind boggling.
    The 11pm repeat is also very popular.
  • Options
    Wikipedia vice president page already updated. Screen grab the president page now for last dose of sanity for 4 years.
  • Options
    glw said:

Pulpstar said:

Kennedy put a man on the Moon. I wonder what Trump can achieve. His tech squillionaire meeting was a very positive step I thought.

Economically he might just be brilliant... Socially I expect him to be a fairly standard republican.

Kennedy as President had many achievements, and huge failures, but his private life was pretty bad, and in the modern era he would have faired very badly under today's media scrutiny.
    I don't think this is so, everyone knew about Kennedy's infidelities back in the day. An inspirational president.

What we do know is that Hillary would have surely been a dull, middle of the road at best average president. Charisma bypass.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    What is it with tartan this year?

Is this the Bay City Rollers?
  • Options
    RobD said:
    When Charles married Camilla, the local paper had the headline "Local man to wed".
  • Options

Passing Civil Rights was a monumental achievement given the resistance and conflict.
    I kind of side-eye Johnson now after knowing about his attitudes towards race: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/lyndon-johnson-civil-rights-racism
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    I wonder what Vladimir is doing right now.
  • Options

I wonder what Vladimir is doing right now.

Talking into Trump's earpiece?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,151
    Jonathan said:

Quite the most ethnically diverse choir, that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

You are very NASA focused. I think the Moon program was the most moronic waste of money since the topping out of the Great Pyramid, and I say that as a huge supporter of expenditure on space telescopes and unmanned probes.
  • Options
    and here we are at high noon....
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Second choir much better!
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Jonathan said:

Or promoting golf courses in Scotland?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Why are they singing the Blackadder theme tune?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

He identifies as Black though. Many mixed race people do actually, especially those of Obama's generation.
    I think Obama is still half-white. Makes it easier to scream 'Waycist' I suppose.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:
    When Charles married Camilla, the local paper had the headline "Local man to wed".
    This one?

http://i.thisis.co.uk/275520/article/images/htfp/http___www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk_images2_tetbury.jpg
  • Options
    Trump is POTUS!
  • Options
    And god help us all
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My mum always tells me that Nixon was the worst. I think the fact his legacy is Watergate kind of speaks for itself....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149
    John_M said:

Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

Scott_P said:
    Dan Hannan ?

Hannan uses far too many big words for Fox. Farage is much more their speed. *sheldonesque look of haughty disdain*
    Brits with odd voices seem to do inexplicably well on US TV. I've never understood the success of Richard Quest for example.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:
    This one?

http://i.thisis.co.uk/275520/article/images/htfp/http___www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk_images2_tetbury.jpg
    looks like it - couldn't remember the name of the place
  • Options
    To the bomb shelters everyone!
  • Options
    Wikipedia still has Obama as President.. :p
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    My God, they are shelling him....
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    shit...he's pres.
  • Options
    Oh, no - we're all going to die now!!!

:lol:
  • Options
    edited January 2017

My God, they are shelling him....

That was hilarious editing.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    The US POTUS rankings are interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States

The founding fathers through to Andrew Jackson enjoy very good ratings, followed by a largely inconsistent run though to FDR -> LBJ (Who were all top 10 or thereabouts), the series of mediocre ones then starts again punctuated by Ronald Reagen.

Obama seems to be ranked 18/45, which isn't too bad, though generally below Bill Clinton.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    RobD said:

Slackers...!
  • Options
    bad times
  • Options

RobD said:

Slackers...!
    Ah.. there we go!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:
    And when Arne Naess married Diana Ross, every paper in the world said "Diana Ross marries Norwegian shipping magnate" except Lloyd's List which went with "Arne Naess marries American singer".
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    When I say "people of the world, thank you" - I really mean "Russians..."
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    Shit....it's actually happened......
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Slackers...!
    Ah.. there we go!
    Your ISP must do some caching because mine had already updated half-way through his vow-thing.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,952
    Rain right on cue!
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

I think Obama is still half-white. Makes it easier to scream 'Waycist' I suppose.
    You see Obama as mixed race if you want to, but it won't change how he identifies, and how most Black people see him.

I'm mixed race myself, and given how difficult life has been for many mixed race people historically, and even today, I think people should respect how they choose to identify.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

You are very NASA focused. I think the Moon program was the most moronic waste of money since the topping out of the Great Pyramid, and I say that as a huge supporter of expenditure on space telescopes and unmanned probes.
    Everyone has to have a hobby... Personally I think Human Space Flight is pretty much the pinnacle of our civilisation :)
  • Options
    Brace yourselves ladies and gentlemen: https://twitter.com/POTUS
  • Options
    What is he talking about?
  • Options
    How Shakespearean - the heavens have just opened up as he starts to speak.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Pulpstar said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States

The founding fathers through to Andrew Jackson enjoy very good ratings, followed by a largely inconsistent run though to FDR -> LBJ (Who were all top 10 or thereabouts), the series of mediocre ones then starts again punctuated by Ronald Reagen.

Obama seems to be ranked 18/45, which isn't too bad, though generally below Bill Clinton.

I wonder how people gauge these things.

After all, by at least one objective measure, the worst President of all was Lincoln. More Americans died premature violent deaths on his watch than anybody else's.
  • Options
    @POTUS is now Trumps.
  • Options

@POTUS hasn't tweeted yet. :)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    Pulpstar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

Everyone has to have a hobby... Personally I think Human Space Flight is pretty much the pinnacle of our civilisation :)
    Concorde was more of an achievement than putting man on the moon.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Pulpstar said:

glw said:

SeanT said:

@SeanT Well, Bill Clinton (along with JFK) showed that you can get away with infidelity. What Trump did/said was a lot more darker than mere infidelity....

WTF? The allegations against Clinton are easily as bad as anything hurled at Trump. Indeed they are probably worse and more lurid, and with better evidence.
    Kennedy was no saint either. On a par and in some respects worse than Clinton.
    Kennedy put a man on the Moon. ...
    Didn't the first moon landing take place in 1969? That was some time after Kennedy's death in 1963. True he kicked the programme off but he was long dead before the technology to do it was developed and it eventually succeeded. Whether it was worth doing at all, is another question.

I have long had a sneaking feeling that had Kennedy not be assassinated he would have gone down as a mediocre, at best, president and possibly a bloody awful one. Up thread someone posted that LBJ took the USA into Vietnam, he did not. That was JFK; LBJ merely expanded what Kennedy had started and in the circumstances that then prevailed I suspect Kennedy would have made the same decision.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

I wonder how people gauge these things.

After all, by at least one objective measure, the worst President of all was Lincoln. More Americans died premature violent deaths on his watch than anybody else's.
    'twas in a noble cause. I don't hold Churchill responsible for our WW2 casualties.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

In terms of culture I agree Obama's achievement in simply becoming the first black American POTUS was wholly laudable, admirable and astonishing. But that's where it ended....

You're wrong. In 2008 the US was in the shit. They were still in Iraq and the economy was down the toilet. Osama was at large and millions of Americans had no healthcare.

• Options
    This great Trump movement, the greatest in history was outvoted by 3 million votes by Hillary...so it is at best the second biggest movement....

the fucker snorts too.....terribly unappealing
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    'Carnage' - this is strong stuff. Good for him.
  • Options
    @HurstLlama I agree with you 100% on Kennedy. It also annoys me how the Kennedys are seen in relation to Black people. He just used the whole situation with MLK in order to get votes from the African-American community.

I wonder whether Trump will continue tweeting from his 'realDonaldTrump' handle or whether he'll switch to the POTUS one?
  • Options
    Jesus his depiction of the USA is like something from Mad Max
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    His speech is quite good. Very different. Not oratory. But he's saying a few things. Don't agree with it. But it's effective.
  • Options
    @HurstLlama Ye I got that wrong, corrected myself in a subsequent post...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    edited January 2017
    tyson said:

This great Trump movement, the greatest in history was outvoted by 3 million votes by Hillary...so it is at best the second biggest movement....

the fucker snorts too.....terribly unappealing

There are no videos of him snorting, and you shouldn't spread rumours like that.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Trashing Obama's legacy - smart.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The idea that massive deficit swelling Reagan is best President is interesting.
  • Options
    POTUS has got over 3m followers in 10 minutes.
  • Options

@HurstLlama I agree with you 100% on Kennedy. It also annoys me how the Kennedys are seen in relation to Black people. He just used the whole situation with MLK in order to get votes from the African-American community.

I wonder whether Trump will continue tweeting from his 'realDonaldTrump' handle or whether he'll switch to the POTUS one?

I'm interested too. The first thing the SS do is confiscate the PEOTUS's ordinary phone and give him one of the ghastly TS bricks. It tends to cramp their style.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079

Pulpstar said:

glw said:

SeanT said:

@SeanT Well, Bill Clinton (along with JFK) showed that you can get away with infidelity. What Trump did/said was a lot more darker than mere infidelity....

WTF? The allegations against Clinton are easily as bad as anything hurled at Trump. Indeed they are probably worse and more lurid, and with better evidence.
    Didn't the first moon landing take place in 1969? That was some time after Kennedy's death in 1963. True he kicked the programme off but he was long dead before the technology to do it was developed and it eventually succeeded. Whether it was worth doing at all, is another question.

I have long had a sneaking feeling that had Kennedy not be assassinated he would have gone down as a mediocre, at best, president and possibly a bloody awful one. Up thread someone posted that LBJ took the USA into Vietnam, he did not. That was JFK; LBJ merely expanded what Kennedy had started and in the circumstances that then prevailed I suspect Kennedy would have made the same decision.

Going into Vietnam was the result of appalling advice from the President's staff. LBJ realised it, which why he wouldn't stand again.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    edited January 2017
    This is not sounding too great-trade-deal-with-the-UK-ish.
  • Options
    'Our vital bodily fluids have been squandered and wasted abroad'
  • Options

Secret service have probably uninstalled the twitter app from his phone!
  • Options
    He's getting worse...anyone thought he'd pivot is wrong...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Alistair said:

But true. His strength ended the USSR.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    He is setting himself some incredible goals. Rather than just waffle about new beginnings.

The rusting factories will be open from this moment etc etc.
  • Options
    Merkel and the EU about to realise they are going to have to pay billions more on defence
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    TGOHF said:

Trashing is kind, taking a dump on is more like it.
  • Options
    I dont think Britain should be depending on this bloke for prosperity.
  • Options
    RICKROLL!!!!!!
  • Options
    Sounds like hardcore protectionism.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

glw said:

SeanT said:

Kennedy almost started a "nucular" war over Cuba...
  • Options

He is setting himself some incredible goals. Rather than just waffle about new beginnings.

The rusting factories will be open from this moment etc etc.

The USA has access to a huge internal market still, fundamentally it is simply put ... in a better place to 'go it alone' than almost anywhere else on the planet.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

He sniffs like a man who just did a massive line of coke in the Oval Office

Corbyn is a sniffer when he gets excited......it''s horrible.....

• Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited January 2017

Apparently he'll be a good POTUS for Britain though....

Also I wouldn't bet on Trump getting this protectionist agenda through Congress. Paul Ryan is about to lose his mind right now....
  • Options

Buy American and hire American!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074

Merkel and the EU about to realise they are going to have to pay billions more on defence

That cuts both ways, of course. The EU will spend more, but that equally means that they will be wielding more power.

I think it was more in our interests when the EU didn't spend any money on weapons, and the US was the world's policeman.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Trumps words are revolutionary, but his speechmaking has a lot to be desired.

I do not think that people understand all that he's saying and how different it is from anything gone before.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Hillary looks dreadful
  • Options

& Quite right too.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Best president was Truman by a mile. The last one who understood the concept of public service.
This discussion has been closed.