Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And now the fourth Presidential Inauguration since PB was foun

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited January 2017
    Talking of coke users....Angus Deaton has got a new gig on the BBC, unfortunately not back as HIGNFY host, as host of what is left of GBBO on BBC.
  • Options
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

Only heard bits of the speech, but no healing the wounds yet.

Come on, Trump!

No matter what that was a forceful patriotic speech

It's somehow more effective for being apparently unscripted and partly improvised, complete with misspeaks, elisions, bombast and absurd non sequiturs. Instead you get the *feeling*

If I were a liberal Left American, or a jihadi, I'd be worried now, or even suicidal. If I was a working class American Trump voter, I'd be delighted. As a Brexiteer Brit European, I reserve judgement.

At least it's fun.
    A Jihadi worried? Trump is going to be the best recruiter and motivator for global Jihad we have seen. He is an ISIS wet dream...they have just seen all their Christmases come home at once.
    When are you signing up?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2017
    The new administration's position on trade deals:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/trade-deals-working-all-americans

It's not immediately obvious that he's planning to shower the UK with favours.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

That trade deal Europe-hating, right wing British Atlanticists have been fantasising is dying a million deaths. Trump may be the most anti-British president ever. His priorities are diametrically opposed to ours in almost every way.

Hasn't the incoming administration already been talking about doing a trade deal with the UK?

It has and it will be happy to do one whose terms it dictates.

So how can that be more anti-British than "back of the queue"?

Obama was not a protectionist, Obama was committed to NATO, Obama was in favour of a strong European Union. All three are of these policies are critically important to the UK, as set out by Theresa May in her speech earlier this week. Trump opposes them. He likes the Queen, but his administration will pursue a strategy that is diametrically opposed to Britain's interests in a way that no US administration has done in living memory.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Jonathan said:

Wondering who has the nuclear codes right now.

Do you mean the real codes, or the codes they will give to Trump?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Trump could well kill conservatism in many different ways.

Apparently he's just like Regan though. Even though the way he loves Russia would have Regan spinning in his grave right now....

@SeanT Obama is pretty popular in this country. Trump isn't.
    Obama is personally popular, yes. But 3 out of 4 Americans think his policies took the US in the wrong direction. That's the Obama dichotomy. He is popular but his policies are not.
    In that post I was referring to Obama's popularity in the UK.

I think Pew has found that Americans overall are pretty divided on Obama's legacy. Personally, I think that Trump is going to make Obama look like a great president. Just like George W. Bush made Bill Clinton look great.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149

Apparently he's just like Regan though. Even though the way he loves Russia would have Regan spinning in his grave right now....

That's simply wrong. Reagan hated communism but he was quite affectionate towards Russia and the Russian people. He even used to collect their jokes.
    So you believe that Reagan would have approved of Trump's cosy relationship with Vladimir Putin? Really?
    I believe Reagan would have been very unhappy with the current state of US-Russian relations and would have pursued bold policies to change things. How that would have looked we'll never know. How it plays out under Trump remains to be seen so I wouldn't prejudge anything.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906

Mortimer said:

Reaganesque speech.

In the sense of dementia?
    LOL!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

His hair is standing up to the rain remarkably well. I wonder what hair product he uses?

Anyway, just off to watch "There's Something About Mary".....

I often wonder whether his hair is helped by having golden showers

Clearly not in the OGH repertoire .... :smile:
    Those of a mischievous nature might suggest it has great hair-restorative properties....

Great to see you back, JackW!
    Mischievous @MarqueeMark might think so, I couldn't possible comment ....
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    glw said:

Jonathan said:

Wondering who has the nuclear codes right now.

Do you mean the real codes, or the codes they will give to Trump?
    He received the codes before church this morning.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

Come on, Trump!

It's somehow more effective for being apparently unscripted and partly improvised, complete with misspeaks, elisions, bombast and absurd non sequiturs. Instead you get the *feeling*

If I were a liberal Left American, or a jihadi, I'd be worried now, or even suicidal. If I was a working class American Trump voter, I'd be delighted. As a Brexiteer Brit European, I reserve judgement.

At least it's fun.
    A Jihadi worried? Trump is going to be the best recruiter and motivator for global Jihad we have seen. He is an ISIS wet dream...they have just seen all their Christmases come home at once.
    Point of order! Islamists are not keen on Christmas.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @peterwalker99: Ah well, with the US heading firmly for protectionist, at least we've got a massive, tariff-free market right on our doorstep.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

TOPPING said:

Oof.

That trade deal Europe-hating, right wing British Atlanticists have been fantasising is dying a million deaths. Trump may be the most anti-British president ever. His priorities are diametrically opposed to ours in almost every way.

I think we are all quite clear what the aims of a US-UK negotiation will be for the US. And it sure as hell isn't to give Tezza an easy next few years.

This is the trade deal, Mrs May. You will open up your markets to us, we will not open up our markets to you. Sign here.

To which we say 'no thanks'. Let's hold fire on the doom and gloom. Remember the old fable; perhaps, one day, the horse will learn to sing.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    On the bright side about America, surprisingly, nobody shot President Obama. Which may have shocked some....
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited January 2017
    Hannan, along with McMullin and other Conservatives are proof it's not just a small coterie of liberal-lefties who are critical of Trump. Many are not here for his protectionist agenda, nor are they here for his foreign policy.
  • Options

Stop taking the p*ss .... :smile:
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

@peterwalker99: Ah well, with the US heading firmly for protectionist, at least we've got a massive, tariff-free market right on our doorstep.

You buying a Belgian smart phone then ?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Tim_B said:

Obama is personally popular, yes. But 3 out of 4 Americans think his policies took the US in the wrong direction. That's the Obama dichotomy. He is popular but his policies are not.

I think Pew has found that Americans overall are pretty divided on Obama's legacy. Personally, I think that Trump is going to make Obama look like a great president. Just like George W. Bush made Bill Clinton look great.
    Obama left with 60 ! % approval ratings, he seems to have achieved a ranking of 18th amongst presidents on the wikipedia entries and he was undoubtedly charismatic. He might well have won a third term if he was allowed, Hillary was amazing at racking up coastal votes - Obama won Iowa! that'll seem like a distant dream for the Democrats now for a good while.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    JackW said:

JackW said:

His hair is standing up to the rain remarkably well. I wonder what hair product he uses?

Those of a mischievous nature might suggest it has great hair-restorative properties....

With that head of hair you are sporting in your avatar, JackW, I think we can make our own assumptions....
  • Options

He likes the Queen, but his administration will pursue a strategy that is diametrically opposed to Britain's interests in a way that no US administration has done in living memory.

I'm not sure that Britain has a good handle on its true national interests. We should take this opportunity, and the period of uncertainty as we approach Brexit, to think about it more fundamentally than we have done for a long time.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited January 2017

Talking of coke users....Angus Deaton has got a new gig on the BBC, unfortunately not back as HIGNFY host, as host of what is left of GBBO on BBC.

And for this challenge, the Judges would like you to make 12, identical hash brownies. BAKE!
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited January 2017

That's simply wrong. Reagan hated communism but he was quite affectionate towards Russia and the Russian people. He even used to collect their jokes.
    So you believe that Reagan would have approved of Trump's cosy relationship with Vladimir Putin? Really?
    I believe Reagan would have been very unhappy with the current state of US-Russian relations and would have pursued bold policies to change things. How that would have looked we'll never know. How it plays out under Trump remains to be seen so I wouldn't prejudge anything.
    Okay then....

Somehow I think Reagan would've been very critical of Vladimir Putin. I think he would have been a lot more aggressive towards Russia than the last two administrations have been, and definitely wouldn't have been all friendly with Putin the way 'the Donald' has been.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

None of my smartphones to date have been made in America...
  • Options
    If Trump's speech sounded extremely jingoistic and ultra-nationalist then I suggest you haven't seen much of Sturgeon and Salmond.

• Options
    Awful speech from Trump.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

Obama left with 60 ! % approval ratings, he seems to have achieved a ranking of 18th amongst presidents on the wikipedia entries and he was undoubtedly charismatic. He might well have won a third term if he was allowed, Hillary was amazing at racking up coastal votes - Obama won Iowa! that'll seem like a distant dream for the Democrats now for a good while.
    Yep, I agree. Obama's approval ratings are not too far behind Clinton's and Reagan's. I think Obama would certainly have run Trump a lot more closer in the electoral college than Hillary did. Obama had the 'common touch', in a way that Hillary did not.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

nor Chinese designed..
  • Options
    How on earth can the BBC avoid entering a long period of grieving
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    How utterly depressing. That quite possibly means the end of the Paris Climate Agreement and, with it, the last real change of limiting carbon emissions. If you want your descendants to inherit the family home, best make sure it's on high ground!
  • Options
    Obama flies to airport on "Executive One"
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

nor Chinese designed..
    The official PB phone the OnePlus 3 is Chinese designed.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    It is interesting that Trump has such a low bar to perform against. He will win again in 2020, assuming he does not blow the world up, get impeached or cause a problem for the US economy.

In his speech he showed he has no understanding of economics or why the last recession occurred. He said something along the lines of "wealth was ripped from US housing and spread around the world". In fact the opposite was the case in that mortgage back securities were packaged up and sold to the world, these securities became worthless as property prices fell in the US. They palmed off huge debts on unwitting investors! You would think that he as a real-estate multi billion would understand this?

Anyway, looking at the new POTUS and Brexit. Why does he want the EU to fail? Because it is a rival economic power block. If the EU fails then it makes the job for the US easier in terms of changing the rules of trade. A big economy like the US has more clout against a single French or German economy in contrast to a block of 20 odd developed countries. Trump is not trying to help the UK as some sort of benevolent gift, he is acting in US interests. I don't think UK politicians and supporters realise they are being used. Some people are really gullible, when it comes to Trump and his agenda.
  • Options

They've been in one for months. In fact, they've completely lost the plot, managing simultaneously to give us hours of 'news' about Trump with very little actual content. Lots of idiotic vox pops, and yet hardly anything (other than rants) about the Trump appointees and likely policies.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

With that head of hair you are sporting in your avatar, JackW, I think we can make our own assumptions....
    It's one of OGH's castoffs from his days as a high functionary of the LibDems. He was for two years the Grand Plenipotentiary for EU Sandal Trade (Bedford Branch)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    I think we're all missing the big picture of what's happened today.

My latest anthology is up for pre-order:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MUCON9Q/

[As an aside, it's quite nice to have a story in an anthology with rather more established names, including some award nominees and at least one winner (Adrian Tchaikovsky)].
  • Options

It is interesting that Trump has such a low bar to perform against. He will win again in 2020, assuming he does not blow the world up, get impeached or cause a problem for the US economy.

https://twitter.com/ladpolitics/status/822495596581978114
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,853
    NewsTaker said:

Awful speech from Trump.

Best (most honest) bit was the rabbi saying "may Justice dwell in the wilderness"...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Come on, Trump!

At least it's fun.
    Point of order! Islamists are not keen on Christmas.
    Maryam is someone important in Islam. So, to be fair, is Jesus, he's a significant prophet.
  • Options

They've been in one for months. In fact, they've completely lost the plot, managing simultaneously to give us hours of 'news' about Trump with very little actual content. Lots of idiotic vox pops, and yet hardly anything (other than rants) about the Trump appointees and likely policies.

Just like every other broadcaster then in this era of 24 hour rolling news.

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

I watched a TV program yesterday where they tried to compare Trump to Reagan. I don't think this is right. It must be remembered that Trump has never been a governor where as Reagan was a successful twice elected Governor of California. There are some parallels but Reagan had an agenda that Trump is trying to mimic down to the slogan making America great again!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    Plenty of immigrants ready to serve lunch. I hope they are all legal!
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Scott_P said:
    How utterly depressing. That quite possibly means the end of the Paris Climate Agreement and, with it, the last real change of limiting carbon emissions. If you want your descendants to inherit the family home, best make sure it's on high ground!
    But also out of the way of floods coming down the hill at you, as at Boscastle 2004.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

nor Chinese designed..
    The "heart" of your smartphone will be British (ARM), the power management German (infineon), the radio US or Swedish, the a flash memory and panel Korean, the glass German, and s tiny bit of Labour at the end is Chinese
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Nigelb said:

NewsTaker said:

Awful speech from Trump.

Best (most honest) bit was the rabbi saying "may Justice dwell in the wilderness"...
    If a rabbi made a contribution then a Muslim should have as well - freedom of religion?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2017

Anyway, looking at the new POTUS and Brexit. Why does he want the EU to fail? Because it is a rival economic power block. If the EU fails then it makes the job for the US easier in terms of changing the rules of trade. A big economy like the US has more clout against a single French or German economy in contrast to a block of 20 odd developed countries. ...

Yes, this is a key point, and one which of course our EU friends are very well aware of. Anyone who thinks that the election of Trump means that the EU is more likely to fall apart is completely out with the fairies - the obvious effect of Trump's 'America First' protectionism on the EU27 will be to strengthen their unity. Particularly for countries like France, where the EU has always been seen first and foremost as an explicit counterbalance to US hegemony.

Quite how Brexit plays out in this shifting of the world power and economic landscape is anyone's guess.
  • Options

In his speech he showed he has no understanding of economics or why the last recession occurred. He said something along the lines of "wealth was ripped from US housing and spread around the world". In fact the opposite was the case in that mortgage back securities were packaged up and sold to the world, these securities became worthless as property prices fell in the US. They palmed off huge debts on unwitting investors! You would think that he as a real-estate multi billion would understand this?

Anyway, looking at the new POTUS and Brexit. Why does he want the EU to fail? Because it is a rival economic power block. If the EU fails then it makes the job for the US easier in terms of changing the rules of trade. A big economy like the US has more clout against a single French or German economy in contrast to a block of 20 odd developed countries. Trump is not trying to help the UK as some sort of benevolent gift, he is acting in US interests. I don't think UK politicians and supporters realise they are being used. Some people are really gullible, when it comes to Trump and his agenda.

I can see logic in your comments and even the real possibility that he wants to destabilise Europe.

However it is much better to be onside with the US and our politicians need to take the opportunity that may well present itself
  • Options
    Anyone recommend factual evaluations to read elsewhere (not nutjob scares) of the first key things in next 100 days that Trump is likely to do and their impacts?
    I note below the climate change policy - which presumably will lower energy costs for all and boost energy intensive manufacturing (eventually).
    But what has also been mooted are, for example -
    i) Major cutback in Govt spending, starting with hiring freeze
    ii) Ending all public service broadcasting
    iii) tax incentives for repatriation of billions back to USA
    others?
  • Options

Anyway, looking at the new POTUS and Brexit. Why does he want the EU to fail? Because it is a rival economic power block. If the EU fails then it makes the job for the US easier in terms of changing the rules of trade. A big economy like the US has more clout against a single French or German economy in contrast to a block of 20 odd developed countries. ...

Yes, this is a key point, and one which of course our EU friends are very well aware of. Anyone who thinks that the election of Trump means that the EU is more likely to fall apart is completely out with the fairies - the obvious effect of Trump's 'America First' protectionism on the EU27 will be to strengthen their unity. Particualrly for countries like France, where the EU has always been seen first and foremost as an explicit counterbalance to US hegemony.

Quite how Brexit plays in this shifting of the world power and economic landscape is anyone's guess.
    EU28 for at least two years. It will make it harder, not easier to execute Brexit as the months roll by.
  • Options

The attitude on the right seems to be that anything is good if it annoys lefties. What they have yet to absorb is that what Trump stands for is the opposite of what is in the UK's interests. Trump is smart - he has recruited some lickspittle apologists like Farage and Gove, and has said nice things about the Queen and Winston Churchill - but his direction of travel is profoundly anti-British. We want a strong NATO, a strong EU and open markets around the world. He doesn't.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    Good. Climate change is economic voodoo. We will adapt. The best periods for life on earth - a provable fact in terms of species variety - have been the warmer periods.
    Not voodoo - its socialism by another name - and its followers protect it in the style of Scientologists.

• Options
    Blue_rog said:

Nigelb said:

NewsTaker said:

Awful speech from Trump.

If a rabbi made a contribution then a Muslim should have as well - freedom of religion?
    It was a prediction, I think.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Angus, leave it alone, it's icing sugar...

• Options
    TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    Good. Climate change is economic voodoo. We will adapt. The best periods for life on earth - a provable fact in terms of species variety - have been the warmer periods.
    Not voodoo - its socialism by another name - and its followers protect it in the style of Scientologists.

Yep - especially that Prince Charles. A socialist to his core.

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    Listening to all the "America First" rhetoric I found myself thinking when did America ever not puts its own interest first?

Perhaps the rest of the world should be putting their countries first and look how best to penalise the tax-dodging US multi-nationals operating all over the world.

My final thought was good luck to those expecting a great post-Brexit trade deal with this guy. Be interesting to see how it all pans out in the real world.
  • Options
    NewsTaker said:

Anyone recommend factual evaluations to read elsewhere (not nutjob scares) of the first key things in next 100 days that Trump is likely to do and their impacts?
    I note below the climate change policy - which presumably will lower energy costs for all and boost energy intensive manufacturing (eventually).
    But what has also been mooted are, for example -
    i) Major cutback in Govt spending, starting with hiring freeze
    ii) Ending all public service broadcasting
    iii) tax incentives for repatriation of billions back to USA
    others?

The headline policies are already outlined on the White House website (some quotes here already). Nothing too detailed as yet.
  • Options

Yes, this is a key point, and one which of course our EU friends are very well aware of. Anyone who thinks that the election of Trump means that the EU is more likely to fall apart is completely out with the fairies - the obvious effect of Trump's 'America First' protectionism on the EU27 will be to strengthen their unity. Particualrly for countries like France, where the EU has always been seen first and foremost as an explicit counterbalance to US hegemony.

Quite how Brexit plays in this shifting of the world power and economic landscape is anyone's guess.
    EU28 for at least two years. It will make it harder, not easier to execute Brexit as the months roll by.
    We are leaving the EU - end off
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

NewsTaker said:

Awful speech from Trump.

True. Just stunned at the ineptness. Trump does have some change announcements that are, for most americans, up beat and positive. He just dwelled on attacking all and sundry.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

nor Chinese designed..
    The "heart" of your smartphone will be British (ARM), the power management German (infineon), the radio US or Swedish, the a flash memory and panel Korean, the glass German, and s tiny bit of Labour at the end is Chinese
    "British (ARM)"
    Not any more.
    And you missed out Taiwan.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

Yep, I agree. Obama's approval ratings are not too far behind Clinton's and Reagan's. I think Obama would certainly have run Trump a lot more closer in the electoral college than Hillary did. Obama had the 'common touch', in a way that Hillary did not.

Obama would have secured a higher turnout among African Americans. That is what lost it for Hillary.

• Options

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Prince Charles will be the Corbyn King in favourability polling - watch this space.
  • Options

One step forward and two steps back.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577
    Anti-Trumpers, like Remoaners (they are usually one and the same, with notable exceptions), are far more worried about being proved wrong than being proved right. Transparent.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yes, this ia a key point, and one which of course our EU friends are very well aware of. Anyone who thinks that the election of Trump means that the EU is more likely to fall apart is completely out with the fairies - the obvious effect of Trump's 'America First' protectionism on the EU27 will be to strengthen their unity.
    Yes, but equally I suspect the Trump presidency will make the Anglosphere nations, the Five Eyes, hug each other closer, as the world divides along new fault lines. We may wince as we do so, but no doubt the Greeks, Poles and Italians will wince as they are forced to embrace even closer with the Germans.

In other words, we will be worse off and more closely tied to an America we dislike. Sounds like a dream scenario. At least we will have a free trade agreement with New Zealand.

• Options
    @MyStephanomics: New White House website - "America 1st foreign policy includes "if partners refuse renegotiation, the president will..withdraw from NAFTA"
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    I'm trying to imagine how I would react to that speech if I was an out-of-work car worker from Detroit who had voted for him. I'm trying to get into his head. Quite difficult from Richmond Park!

I think I would feel - "Good - now let's see you do it." I think I would be focused on what's in for me. When will I be better off? And I might feel proud to be an American. Respect.

The problem for Trump is how is he going to deliver to those expectations because I suspect he isn't. I think Trump genuinely wants to be a great President. I'm not cynical about that.

But he has an ego the size of the planet. The problem for us is how is he going to react when he doesn't succeed. Obviously he'll blame others and feel he has to punish them in some way. Congress? The media? China? What will he do?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    There's a small, but not completely negligible, chance that burning all accessible fossil fuels will turn the Earth into another Venus. Our descendants may have some difficulties adapting to that.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    RobD said:

Hasn't the incoming administration already been talking about doing a trade deal with the UK?
    But on who's terms?, I think you are going to be very disappointed if you think we will get any sort of fair deal. He's knows we are desparate and Fox, Farage, Gove et all will lick his boots for any type of deal. They have trumpeted how easy and great it's going to be - Trump would be a fool not to take full advantage, "America First" and all that.
  • Options
    @JananGanesh: Yer man Liam Fox versus the US farm lobby, US insurance lobby, US energy lobby, US bank lobby, under this president.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    OllyT said:

Perhaps the rest of the world should be putting their countries first and look how best to penalise the tax-dodging US multi-nationals operating all over the world.

The tax-dodging US multinationals are precisely what Trump is angry about, he wants them to pay more tax in the US, rather than hoarding cash offshore.
  • Options
    @kurteichenwald: As of now, America has no ambassadors in countries everywhere. Trump fired them all as of 12:01 for no comprehensible reason.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yes, but equally I suspect the Trump presidency will make the Anglosphere nations, the Five Eyes, hug each other closer, as the world divides along new fault lines. We may wince as we do so, but no doubt the Greeks, Poles and Italians will wince as they are forced to embrace even closer with the Germans.

Why should Trump want to hug us more closely (in economic terms)? OK, I'm sure that security cooperation will continue, but, apart from that, what have we got to offer to someone whose principal economic policy is protectionism?
  • Options
    NewsTakerNewsTaker Posts: 89
    edited January 2017

Agreed. It is the lack of serious analysis of the policies he is likely to pursue. The beeb has adopted a leftie tabloid shock horror approach to Trump, repeated by Sky, ITV and of course C4 News. Although C4's Matt Frei did a stand out report into Trump's likely impact on mining the other night.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,805

I think the big win for America with Brexit is with agriculture. The EU is protectionist in this area so the UK can offer something to the US that it doesn't have now. The key thing is tariff quotas that limit the amount of each product that can be imported at a realistic tariff and result in produce prices being at least 30% higher than world market prices. The thing is, Trump and other foodstuff exporting countries could probably get these swept away as part of the WTO schedule negotiations and doesn't even need a PTA to do it. British farmers would face a lot more competition and farm gate prices that are least 30% less than now. There will be a lot of farm bankruptcies.

Incidentally, the UK would be outside the EU tariff quotas and effectively locked outside that market unless the UK and the EU sign a fully comprehensive trade agreement. They both have incentives to do so. The EU has a big trade surplus with the UK on foodstuffs, while the EU represents 80% of the UK agricultural exports.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995
    Scott_P said:

@kurteichenwald: As of now, America has no ambassadors in countries everywhere. Trump fired them all as of 12:01 for no comprehensible reason.

Aren't those sort of offices that expire with a new President?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Why the fuck do we want a strong EU? We want it to break up, and then prosper again as individual nations. That's always been Britain's objective: a balance of power on the continent.

Of course we have to *pretend* we want their ludicrous Project to succeed, but that's just diplo-speak.

That's such a parochial and atavistic attitude. That policy applied when Europe was to all intents and purposes our world, and then during the age of empire when the balance of world power was determined by the balance of power in Europe. That era has gone and isn't coming back.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

*of
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

SeanT said:

Why should Trump want to hug us more closely (in economic terms)? OK, I'm sure that security cooperation will continue, but, apart from that, what have we got to offer to someone whose principal economic policy is protectionism?

Because our economies are similar.

It's economies that undermine the US that he wants to be protectionist about.

The US will still need friends around the world.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

nor Chinese designed..
    "British (ARM)"
    Not any more.
    And the huge chunk of American IP , software and innovation..
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The president that Donald Trump currently most resembles is Teddy Roosevelt. The resemblance is that of an elephant and a hyrax.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,100
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

nor Chinese designed..
    "British (ARM)"
    Not any more.
    I've mentioned this before, but a chip we designed in the UK was fabricated in China, sent to Austria for packaging, then to the US for finishing (can't remember what was done there), from where they were sent to the manufacturers back in China, with engineering and sales samples being sent to the UK.

And that was just one RF chip, although it may have been somewhat exceptional.

Supply chains are truly global.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995
    Freggles said:

*of
    Zing!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Prince Charles will be the Corbyn King in favourability polling - watch this space.
    If he lasts 20 years as King we may have become a Republic. Hopefully.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577
    edited January 2017
    FF43 said:

I think the big win for America with Brexit is with agriculture. The EU is protectionist in this area so the UK can offer something to the US that it doesn't have now. The key thing is tariff quotas that limit the amount of each product that can be imported at a realistic tariff and result in produce prices being at least 30% higher than world market prices. The thing is, Trump and other foodstuff exporting countries could probably get these swept away as part of the WTO schedule negotiations and doesn't even need a PTA to do it. British farmers would face a lot more competition and farm gate prices that are least 30% less than now. There will be a lot of farm bankruptcies.

Incidentally, the UK would be outside the EU tariff quotas and effectively locked outside that market unless the UK and the EU sign a fully comprehensive trade agreement. They both have incentives to do so. The EU has a big trade surplus with the UK on foodstuffs, while the EU represents 80% of the UK agricultural exports.
    Locked out eh? That explains the total absence of New world wine, African coffee, Swiss chocolate, and all bananas from supermarket shelves.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

Obama would have secured a higher turnout among African Americans. That is what lost it for Hillary.

Yep - Trump won Rust Belt states by relatively small % margin. Hopefully four years of Trump will mobilise African Americans to come out and vote in 2020.
  • Options

Supply chains are truly global.

And now in deep trouble...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JananGanesh: Yer man Liam Fox versus the US farm lobby, US insurance lobby, US energy lobby, US bank lobby, under this president.

LMAO
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The attitude on the right seems to be that anything is good if it annoys lefties. What they have yet to absorb is that what Trump stands for is the opposite of what is in the UK's interests. Trump is smart - he has recruited some lickspittle apologists like Farage and Gove, and has said nice things about the Queen and Winston Churchill - but his direction of travel is profoundly anti-British. We want a strong NATO, a strong EU and open markets around the world. He doesn't.

Why the fuck do we want a strong EU? We want it to break up, and then prosper again as individual nations. That's always been Britain's objective: a balance of power on the continent.

Of course we have to *pretend* we want their ludicrous Project to succeed, but that's just diplo-speak.

The damage to the British economy that a collapse of the EU would do is huge. It would cause massive and long-lasting harm to millions and millions of British people. Is annoying Guardian readers really worth that? I actually think it is to some on the right.

• Options

SeanT said:

We will have to see whether the Trump regime can be trusted with intelligence matters. We know that the government has already asked for reassurances on that front.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Is this unusual? All Presidents in recent years have, for example, replaced the Ambassador to the UK with their own choice/friend.
  • Options
    Obama speaking - again.
  • Options

SeanT said:

That's such a parochial and atavistic attitude. That policy applied when Europe was to all intents and purposes our world, and then during the age of empire when the balance of world power was determined by the balance of power in Europe. That era has gone and isn't coming back.
    What does a "strong EU" mean - powerful enough to ratchet up further it's protectionist barriers to trade with nations outside the union ?

Ask the banana growers of the 3rd world how much they love a "strong EU"

http://www.eurofresh-distribution.com/news/bananas-10-years-import-regime-eu

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    There's a small, but not completely negligible, chance that burning all accessible fossil fuels will turn the Earth into another Venus. Our descendants may have some difficulties adapting to that.
    There's a considerably greater chance that we are headed for another humanity-crushing Ice Age, judging by climatological history, so put that in you coal fired power station, and smoke it.
    Just remember that every lump of coal, every barrel of oil and every tonne of chalk, limestone and marble contains carbon dioxide that was once in the earth's atmosphere and was 'fixed' by living organisms.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    There's a considerably greater chance that we are headed for another humanity-crushing Ice Age, judging by climatological history, so put that in you coal fired power station, and smoke it.
    No, there isn't. The large swings in temperature associated with the ice ages were driven by greenhouse gas feedback. CO2 was at about 180 ppm during the depths of the ice age, rising to about 280 ppm during interglacial periods. It's now just over 400 ppm and rising rapidly. We've already far more than cancelled the next ice age.
  • Options
    Iain Martin

@iainmartin1
    President Trump's dire inauguration speech disgraced America. (My take for Reaction @reactionlife) http://reaction.life/president-trumps-dire-inauguration-speech-disgraced-america/
  • Options
    NewsTaker said:

Iain Martin

@iainmartin1
    President Trump's dire inauguration speech disgraced America. (My take for Reaction @reactionlife) http://reaction.life/president-trumps-dire-inauguration-speech-disgraced-america/

But....but....only the liberal left are concerned about Trump....
  • Options
    Split screen - Obama speaking at Andrews, and Trump waiting to sign some executive orders.
  • Options

SeanT said:

We will have to see whether the Trump regime can be trusted with intelligence matters. We know that the government has already asked for reassurances on that front.

It really isn't a problem - we touched on this a few days ago. I find the public comments completely baffling. 'Need to know' is as old as the hills.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    Does Trump's America First make an EU/UK deal more likely? The EU will want to keep a good free trade relationship with U.K. if the US becomes more protectionist.
This discussion has been closed.