Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And now the fourth Presidential Inauguration since PB was foun

123457»

Comments

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited January 2017

MTimT said:

I have switched careers completely at 5 times. Each time I have switched, there has been a loss in salary initially. Most switches have ended up taking my earning potential higher. All have taken my learning potential higher.

I am guessing none of those was as a manual or skilled worker ;) Like I said, the clever and able will always find ways to compensate, blue collar assembly workers not so much.
    Absolutely. One of the most poignant periods of my life was when I was involved in retraining the workers made redundant when Xerox closed the Mitcheldean laser printer plant (this was while going through DV). Life is always pretty easy for the bright. It's pretty shit for those who aren't.

I took a colossal drop in salary when I joined the Civil Service. Never got near my 2001 peak while there, but made a decent living. Did better after I left, natch.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited January 2017

MTimT said:

I have switched careers completely at 5 times. Each time I have switched, there has been a loss in salary initially. Most switches have ended up taking my earning potential higher. All have taken my learning potential higher.

I am guessing none of those was as a manual or skilled worker ;) Like I said, the clever and able will always find ways to compensate, blue collar assembly workers not so much.
    I think you vastly underestimate the potential and capabilities of the manual and skilled workers. Plenty of people who do not think of themselves as clever are excellent at playing computer games. If you can do that, there are a lot of skilled jobs you could do with a little self-belief and appropriate training.

Delivery trucks drivers are unskilled, right? Wrong. They are driving a complex vehicle, using GPS technology, using bar codes and computers, interacting with robots while abiding by driving laws and social codes.

The last item - social codes - is by far the most difficult thing they do, and they do it so well they don't even realize it is difficult.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    So Donald now has the nuclear codes and has his finger on the "button" ?

We can all sleep easily in our beds again. :smiley:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited January 2017
    GIN1138 said:

By the button, do you mean the post tweet one? That could be far more dangerous than anything else.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149

GIN1138 said:

By the button, do you mean the post tweet one? That could be far more dangerous than anything else.
    Here's the shout out to his friend Farage.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/822502887477673984
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

NewsTaker said:

Scott_P said:

Who could he possibly mean?

@DAaronovitch: I pity the ‘Im going to pretend the Trump speech was OK because I’m not a metropolitan pussy’ pundits.

Very very few media commentators are defending THAT speech. Iain Dale was castigating on LBC "borderline Mussolini"
    I'll defend it. The speech was chaotic in parts, and jingoistic. And lacked really great lines. But it merely reiterated what Trump has said on the campaign trail. He is a nationalistic American. And I don't recalll any truly offensive lines, anything racist or abusive.

And in places it was clever and passionate and well delivered, in his alarmingly off the cuff way.

We're just so used to boring liberal boilerplate and tedious PC platitudes that's anything that strays off piste *sounds* outrageous. But really isn't, on analysis.

OK night night from Bangers. New chapter to write tomorrow.
    I thought the "whether you are born in Detroit or Nebraska" bit was rather moving. But I have to say I am now officially scared shitless by Trump. Not funny any more.
    He makes W.Bush look moderate and smart. After Trump Democrats will elect someone to clean up his mess then the Republican base will nominate someone even crazier.........and he will be elected and the cycle continues.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925

GIN1138 said:

I might buy some shares in Twitter next week - It's now the number one website for finding out when the first nucks are gonna fly! ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Bloody Fake News....

Earlier this month The Guardian reported what it called a "backdoor" in WhatsApp, a Facebook-owned instant messaging app. Some security researchers were quick to call out The Guardian for what they concluded was irresponsible journalism and misleading story. Now, a group of over three dozen security researchers including Matthew Green and Bruce Schneier (as well as some from companies such as Google, Mozilla, Cloudflare, and EFF) have signed a long editorial post, pointing out where The Guardian's report fell short, and also asking the publication to retract the story.

http://gizmodo.com/theres-no-security-backdoor-in-whatsapp-despite-report-1791158247

This was also published by the likes of the BBC, Daily Mail etc as a big news story.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I might buy some shares in Twitter next week - It's now the number one website for finding out when the first nucks are gonna fly! ;)
    Even Trump can't say Twitter...and they sold off one of the good bits (that actually creates clever service enhancing stuff e.g the seamless embedding of multimedia) earlier this week to Google.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

You need to pray that Mattis is confirmed as Sec Def!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    A father wanted to teach his kids about democracy so he let them all vote on what they wanted for tea. They voted for pizza but he gave them burritos because they did not live in a swing state.

Can't think why that joke came back to me today.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175

MTimT said:

As I said earlier a universal basic income in a decade or two is inevitable so people can afford to take whatever work they can and to retrain
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

Dromedary said:

You can't educate people to have better brains

Yes you can.
    I suppose you have some evidence to back up that assertion?
    Noting that you didn't give any to back up yours, I will say that the work of Carol Dweck to which MTimT refers is well worth looking at. Or you could look out of the window and notice how most of the official "education" system is based on telling the epsilons they're epsilons, the betas they're betas, etc. - and why it is functional to the social hierarchy for those with privileged positions to think that such a hierarchy is "natural", despite its relying to a very great degree on the inheritance of privilege.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

NewsTaker said:

Scott_P said:

@DAaronovitch: I pity the ‘Im going to pretend the Trump speech was OK because I’m not a metropolitan pussy’ pundits.

Very very few media commentators are defending THAT speech. Iain Dale was castigating on LBC "borderline Mussolini"
    I'll defend it. The speech was chaotic in parts, and jingoistic. And lacked really great lines. But it merely reiterated what Trump has said on the campaign trail. He is a nationalistic American. And I don't recalll any truly offensive lines, anything racist or abusive.

And in places it was clever and passionate and well delivered, in his alarmingly off the cuff way.

We're just so used to boring liberal boilerplate and tedious PC platitudes that's anything that strays off piste *sounds* outrageous. But really isn't, on analysis.

I thought the "whether you are born in Detroit or Nebraska" bit was rather moving. But I have to say I am now officially scared shitless by Trump. Not funny any more.
    He makes W.Bush look moderate and smart. After Trump Democrats will elect someone to clean up his mess then the Republican base will nominate someone even crazier.........and he will be elected and the cycle continues.
    On things like LGBT rights Trump is left of George W Bush and Obama was the most left liberal president since FDR. Personally I think Trump will lose the House in 2018 but beat Warren in 2020, Bobby Kennedy's grandson Congressman Joseph Patrick Kennedy is a good long shot bet for 2024
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    It always strikes me as completely bonkers that they go to all the expense in years like 2005, 2013 for absolutely no reason whatsoever.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Alistair said:

The idea that massive deficit swelling Reagan is best President is interesting.

Best president was Truman by a mile. The last one who understood the concept of public service.
    It's late but might you expand on that.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    And yes the Trump speech was absolutely terrifying.
  • Options

Trump could well kill conservatism in many different ways.

Apparently he's just like Regan though. Even though the way he loves Russia would have Regan spinning in his grave right now....

@SeanT Obama is pretty popular in this country. Trump isn't.
    Gosh, Donald Regan references. That's a throwback.

If you're planning to sneer, accurate sneering is helpful.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995
    isam said:

twitter.com/itvnews/status/822514006518853632

Were they living under a rock for the past two months? :p
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    Just watched this video. I'm tempted to share it on Facebook partly because most of the friends I have who bother to post about Trump just put insulting stuff up. It's an interesting watch and probably a good guide to understanding what is going on right now. But how many people want to understand?

Just as a warning - if you are allergic to narcissistic men you may wish to avoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gGIu9tj7IA

Trade, war, Bush, women, alcohol, Clinton.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

NewsTaker said:

Scott_P said:

On things like LGBT rights Trump is left of George W Bush and Obama was the most left liberal president since FDR. Personally I think Trump will lose the House in 2018 but beat Warren in 2020, Bobby Kennedy's grandson Congressman Joseph Patrick Kennedy is a good long shot bet for 2024
    You do have a remarkable certainty to your predictions.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited January 2017
    matt said:

Apparently he's just like Regan though. Even though the way he loves Russia would have Regan spinning in his grave right now....

Are you really having this reaction over a typo? LOL.

EDIT: Also I'm not 'planning to sneer'. I don't sit there and plan my reactions to posts on PB 24 hours in advance.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

NewsTaker said:

Scott_P said:

Although we forget it because 9/11 happened in his first year changing the course of modern history, W. Bush was elected on a platform of "compassionate conservativism". Virtually his first action after inauguration was education reform and No Child Left Behind. His political lines leading to his 2000 election was more like David Cameron's "modernisation" than the extreme right winger he's been stereotyped as.
  • Options
    The man who talks about 'America First' and buying American goods has his suit made in China. What a joke.
  • Options

Swamp the Drain!

twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/822502996147838978

The man who talks about 'America First' and buying American goods has his suit made in China. What a joke.
    Hm, I doubt his suit is made in China.
  • Options
    matt said:

Alistair said:

Best president was Truman by a mile. The last one who understood the concept of public service.
    If you are referring to the last bit about public service, Truman did his time as president and then went home to live in the house he inherited from his mother. He refused every corporate position offered to him as he felt it would be abusing his position as a former president. No endorsements, no directorships and no work for any company because he believed they would only want him because he had been president. He lived on his army pension of $112 a month.

Politically he was a giant. During his Presidency we got the Marshall Plan, NATO and the UN all of which he played a crucial part in. He was willing to take difficult decisions including the dropping of the two atomic bombs, the Berlin Airlift and supporting the UN intervention in the Korean War.

At home he was the driving force behind civil rights laws which included complete integration in the armed forces and all federal organisations. Interestingly for today he also tried to push through the first national health insurance system in the US.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

Swamp the Drain!

Just the ties in his name!

Another tweet for PBerz:

https://twitter.com/UberFacts/status/822512617067450368
  • Options

matt said:

EDIT: Also I'm not 'planning to sneer'. I don't sit there and plan my reactions to posts on PB 24 hours in advance.
    You refer to a wholly different person. That you are unaware of that is perhaps a comment on your limited knowledge. Which you display regularly.

• Options

RobD said:

Swamp the Drain!

Another tweet for PBerz:

https://twitter.com/UberFacts/status/822512617067450368
    Bane not Bain FFS.
  • Options
    matt said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

NewsTaker said:

Scott_P said:

I set out what I think will happen, if you wish to disagree fine
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited January 2017
    matt said:

matt said:

You refer to a wholly different person. That you are unaware of that is perhaps a comment on your limited knowledge. Which you display regularly.

Oh do get over yourself. Besides it's fairly obvious who I was referring to. It's a typo. It happens.

EDIT: Ironically, you're guilty of the sneering which you've sat here and accused others of.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

NewsTaker said:

Scott_P said:

It appears he doesn't just disagree he 'sneers', which is ironic given what he accuses those who he disagrees with of.
  • Options

matt said:

Alistair said:

If you are referring to the last bit about public service, Truman did his time as president and then went home to live in the house he inherited from his mother. He refused every corporate position offered to him as he felt it would be abusing his position as a former president. No endorsements, no directorships and no work for any company because he believed they would only want him because he had been president. He lived on his army pension of $112 a month.

Politically he was a giant. During his Presidency we got the Marshall Plan, NATO and the UN all of which he played a crucial part in. He was willing to take difficult decisions including the dropping of the two atomic bombs, the Berlin Airlift and supporting the UN intervention in the Korean War.

At home he was the driving force behind civil rights laws which included complete integration in the armed forces and all federal organisations. Interestingly for today he also tried to push through the first national health insurance system in the US.
    The second two paragraphs I knew. The final sentence of the first paragraph, that's from the same moral basis as Crichel Down and Dugdale (it's interesting that Carrington followed his master's line 30 years later). Politicians of all stripes would now, one suspects, take a materially different approach.
  • Options
    There's a great video clip of Hillary catching Bill apparently ogling Ivanka Trump during the inauguration doing the rounds. They clearly hate each other.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

Just watched this video. I'm tempted to share it on Facebook partly because most of the friends I have who bother to post about Trump just put insulting stuff up. It's an interesting watch and probably a good guide to understanding what is going on right now. But how many people want to understand?

Just as a warning - if you are allergic to narcissistic men you may wish to avoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gGIu9tj7IA

Trade, war, Bush, women, alcohol, Clinton.

Strange........definitely worth watching to get a different perspective for people like me........

Trump and Bill Clinton have much more in common that I ever got....

• Options

RobD said:

Swamp the Drain!

Another tweet for PBerz:

twitter.com/UberFacts/status/822512617067450368
    Yes, but that's not what you said ;)
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
  • Options

HYUFD said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Ishmael_Z said:

SeanT said:

NewsTaker said:

Scott_P said:

It appears he doesn't just disagree he 'sneers', which is ironic given what he accuses those who he disagrees with of.
    Seems so
  • Options
    PaganPagan Posts: 259

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    How utterly depressing. That quite possibly means the end of the Paris Climate Agreement and, with it, the last real change of limiting carbon emissions. If you want your descendants to inherit the family home, best make sure it's on high ground!
    Good. Climate change is economic voodoo. We will adapt. The best periods for life on earth - a provable fact in terms of species variety - have been the warmer periods.
    There's a small, but not completely negligible, chance that burning all accessible fossil fuels will turn the Earth into another Venus. Our descendants may have some difficulties adapting to that.
    during the carboniferous period co2 levels were 1800ppm almost 5 times more than now, if we were going to turn into venus we would have already done so
This discussion has been closed.