Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And now the fourth Presidential Inauguration since PB was foun

Comments

• Options

The lamentations amongst the liberal-left, Hillary-supporting, rich, London-based Americans of my acquaintance are completely off the scale, and their fantasies about whether Trump might be impeached are pitiful to behold.

Some of you on this site are literally obsessed with the liberal left. I see so many posts about liberal-left reactions on this site it's unbelievable, especially since most PBers are right-wing.

Anyway, I'm giving this Inauguration a miss.
    Sore-Loserman!
  • Options

Hillary Clinton✔@HillaryClinton

I'm here today to honor our democracy & its enduring values. I will never stop believing in our country & its future. #Inauguration
    3:53 PM - 20 Jan 2017

No dear, you're there because you're the wife an ex-president.

Doesn't the loser always come to the inauguration? Or do they stay away?
    No they always turn up.

Actually she would have been invited on multiple fronts as

1) Defeated candidate

2) Spouse of a former President

3) Former Secretary of State
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @tnewtondunn: Confirmed: UKIP leader @paulnuttallukip tells me he has "put my hat in the ring" to stand in Stoke Central. He'll be at hustings tonight.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,952
    SeanT said:

Can't be denied that the advent of Trump raises the Female Hotness quotient in DC. God bless Michelle, but she was no looker. A great speaker and arguably more inspiring than her husband. But not a looker.

Tiffany Trump's more the age you go for, isn't she? ;)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,414
    SeanT said:

I'm watching this on Fox News, in Bangkok. They are very definitely and explicitly linking this to Brexit.

The 4.05 from Musselburgh??
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,447

I'm here today to honor our democracy & its enduring values. I will never stop believing in our country & its future. #Inauguration

No they always turn up.

Actually she would have been invited on multiple fronts as

1) Defeated candidate

2) Spouse of a former President

3) Former Secretary of State
    4) they need to know her whereabouts for the arrest in just over 50 mins time.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    RobD said:

Mr. D, I just hope Charles doesn't bugger it up with his 'Defence of Faith' nonsense.

'Defender of the faith, and all faiths' would be a good compromise. Not sure what that is in Latin though!
    Fidei et fiderum omnium defensor. Because of course we need to signal to the world our absolute conviction that blowing up infidels while shouting wossname akbar is not in any way a distinctive characteristic of any particular faith whatever, no, siree.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Ten minutes until my shortest ever odds bet pays out :)

Kerchingchingcing BOOM

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP
    It's only January 20th but I think I'm nailed on to win Tipster of the year for my 1/25 tip on Trump to be inaugurated :lol:
    A near perfect tipster.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Kerchingchingcing BOOM

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP
    It's only January 20th but I think I'm nailed on to win Tipster of the year for my 1/25 tip on Trump to be inaugurated :lol:
    33 mins yet according to sky news!!
    Not at midday?
    Yes, I thought that was odd too.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Thompson, I'd be very wary of unravelling the tapestry of the British constitutional set-up. Recent efforts at change have been cack-handed, short-sighted and narrow-minded.
  • Options
    @John_M I've seen several posters on here support the Republican side of the argument in regard to American 'culture wars.' I don't think such people can be considered 'socially liberal'. I think there's a difference between having one or two socially liberally views, to actually being socially liberal. I'd also say there's more than a 'mild' hostility to Muslims on this site.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Fox News drawing the parallel with Gambia today
  • Options
    Wow Michelle certainly wears her heart on her sleeve.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Mr. D, I just hope Charles doesn't bugger it up with his 'Defence of Faith' nonsense.

'Defender of the faith, and all faiths' would be a good compromise. Not sure what that is in Latin though!
    Fidei et fiderum omnium defensor. Because of course we need to signal to the world our absolute conviction that blowing up infidels while shouting wossname akbar is not in any way a distinctive characteristic of any particular faith whatever, no, siree.
    My thought would be to have it separate, so Fidei defensor is distinct, but maybe that would be awkward in Latin :p
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Tim_B said:

Trump's speech is going to be yuge short apparently (according to sky).

JFK was 13 minutes. Trump is apparently going to be about 20.
    He wants it nice and short so he can get back to the White House and start playing with those codes as soon as possible.
    I think he might start out on those trashing a McDonalds first. Just to let folks know - you can't take on the symbols of corporate America in the age of the Donald without being dropped in the Potomac from a chopper....
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Hillary looks reasonably relaxed about it all to me. Her husband on the other hand looks like he wants to punch someone.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Kerchingchingcing BOOM

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP
    A near perfect tipster.
    Never has winning £2 after staking £50 felt so good.
  • Options
    ...just hoping the Marine Band don't play John Philip Souza's Liberty Bell March
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:
    Damn. I took (and posted here) 4/6 but when I checked Paddy was shorter.
  • Options
    Hillary Clinton, looking like she has been carved out of the finest obsidian....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

Feel a bit sorry for Hillary for the first time in my entire life. This must be excruciating for her.

Yep, I think she's welling up a bit. Watching on BBC Parliament to avoid commentaries :).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Feel a bit sorry for Hillary for the first time in my entire life. This must be excruciating for her.

Beyond that I should imagine. The English language needs a new adjective for this one.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

Washington is an ugly city.

It is. Almost like some crazed wedding cake maker put it together.

Trump saying 'drain the swamp' - DC was built on a swamp.
    I'd always assumed that the phrase referred to DC, esp. with the malaria connotations.
    Last malaria outbreak in the UK was in the north Kent marshes in 1918.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

Can't be denied that the advent of Trump raises the Female Hotness quotient in DC. God bless Michelle, but she was no looker. A great speaker and arguably more inspiring than her husband. But not a looker.

I dunno. Who is who? All i see is a lot of, quite frankly, very do-able young blonde women. Who apparently belong to the Trump Dynasty.
    Even with your recent well earned mini fortune, I don't think you are rich enough to be in with a shot with them.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

I dunno. Who is who? All i see is a lot of, quite frankly, very do-able young blonde women. Who apparently belong to the Trump Dynasty.
    More of an Ivanka man, personally.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Kerchingchingcing BOOM

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP
    A near perfect tipster.
    Never has winning £2 after staking £50 felt so good.
    Yep. I really wanted someone to go into a shop with a suitcase of cash for that bet. Apparently it got cut to 1/50 after you tipped it here and we all got on.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Beyond that I should imagine. The English language needs a new adjective for this one.
    I actually don't feel that sorry for Hillary. After this she can go back to her nice life. It'll be ordinary Americans who will have to deal with the consequences of a Trump administration.
  • Options
    Oh Biden. Why or why or why did you not run :-(
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

LOL. Tiffany's the youngest one of all the fit blondes in white. Left of the picture as they stand together. Born 1993, so aged 23.
  • Options
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

Yep, I think she's welling up a bit. Watching on BBC Parliament to avoid commentaries :).
    Beeb website: "On a separate note, Hillary Clinton was chatting with George W Bush on the platform while waiting."
  • Options

Apparently, Obama advised him not to.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I mean, Melania. You WOULD

Ivanka!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995
    John_M said:

A mistake... I think he would have won.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    BBC coverage quite poor. They keep interrupting each other.
  • Options
    Trump's youngest son has the sickly, malevolent look of an evil little bastard from a Victorian melodrama.

Or from The Omen....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

Many skeletons in the attic. Apparently. Quite a man for the ladies.

Though Trump kinda shows you can now get away with this....
    Given Bill Clinton, I doubt that would have mattered even if hadn't been up against Trump. I would have thought he would have managed to position himself far better than Hilary as the candidate for managed change.
  • Options
    @SeanT Well, Bill Clinton (along with JFK) showed that you can get away with infidelity. What Trump did/said was a lot more darker than mere infidelity....
  • Options
    The rough beast slouches towards the podium.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Many skeletons in the attic. Apparently. Quite a man for the ladies.

Though Trump kinda shows you can now get away with this....
    You mean Joe was just biden' his time?
  • Options

Trump's youngest son has the sickly, malevolent look of an evil little bastard from a Victorian melodrama.

Or from The Omen....

Pulls wings off flies, fer sure.
  • Options
    Surely Obama's legacy will be that Donald Trump succeeded him
  • Options
    Looks like a lonely walk.
  • Options

I presume their coverage is like they are covering a funeral?
  • Options

I watching Sky. Mainly cos I can't stand Katy Kay for some reason.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited January 2017
    SeanT said:

@SeanT Well, Bill Clinton (along with JFK) showed that you can get away with infidelity. What Trump did/said was a lot more darker than mere infidelity....

WTF? The allegations against Clinton are easily as bad as anything hurled at Trump. Indeed they are probably worse and more lurid, and with better evidence.
    I was thinking about Bill Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky. I don't know what you're talking about.

EDIT: I don't know how much 'better' evidence you can get than a man admitting what he's done on tape btw.
  • Options
    Pence looks like my Action Man doll after fifty years of hard living.
  • Options

Surely Obama's legacy will be that Donald Trump succeeded him

And Hillary's legacy will be as a footnote. That she lost to Donald Trump. That must be hard to live with.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Go the Donald!

First job, just drop a fucking nuke on ISIS in Palmyra. They've now destroyed the last bit of the city. So who cares. Vaporize them.

Obama would never do so, in case it caused global warming. Trump just might.
  • Options
    RobD said:

John_M said:

Most definitely. For a start he would have come out fighting against Trump - calling it all a loud of snake oil and mallarky and he wouldn't have listened to all the Big Data, voter profile, Ada machine stuff that Clinton focused on rather than actually getting a message together and getting out there.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Google what jfk made Mimi Alford do to whom, with whom as onlooker.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    When the music started for Donald Trumps arrival at the podium, I thought the bands had started up with the Darth Vader march from Star Wars. :D
  • Options
    John_M said:

The rough beast slouches towards the podium.

:lol:
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

Go the Donald!

First job, just drop a fucking nuke on ISIS in Palmyra. They've now destroyed the last bit of the city. So who cares. Vaporize them.

Nah - Obama would not have dropped a nuke on the middle east because it would have been a catastrophically stupid thing to do. As you say, Trump just might.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited January 2017

I presume their coverage is like they are covering a funeral?
    IIRC, the BBC sent 120 reporters/hangers-on to Barry’s first inaugural, there’s probable no more than half a dozen at this one.
  • Options
    OT: Hammond is really growing on me, though his remarks are going to set UKIP a-froth:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38688786
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

RobD said:

John_M said:

Most definitely. For a start he would have come out fighting against Trump - calling it all a loud of snake oil and mallarky and he wouldn't have listened to all the Big Data, voter profile, Ada machine stuff that Clinton focused on rather than actually getting a message together and getting out there.
    Rubbish! Biden would have got nowhere.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

Go the Donald!

Nah - Obama would not have dropped a nuke on the middle east because it would have been a catastrophically stupid thing to do. As you say, Trump just might.

All it will take is an ISIS operative to tweet that Trump's hair doesn't look right and then boom!!!!!
  • Options

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

Go the Donald!

With regard to the Middle East there's no shortage of catastrophically stupid things that have been done in the last century
  • Options
    Mr. K, could be worse. Could be the Rains of Castermere[sp].
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Last minutes of Obama. Class act. The best president of my lifetime. Don't expect him to be bettered.
  • Options

RobD said:

John_M said:

Biden is the sitting vice-president. He was elected with Obama -- based on big data and all the rest of it.
  • Options
    Lard of Mercy.

Quite fitting by the looks of him.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Just googled it. It's disgusting, but she characterises it as a 'dare' as opposed to being forced. Still, after reading that I agree that JFK isn't that much better than Trump. But I was never a huge JFK fan if I'm being honest. I see him as a charlatan. This was link I read btw: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2099498/Mimi-Alford-The-day-JFK-took-virginity-wifes-White-House-bed.html
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Last minutes of Obama. Class act. The best president of my lifetime. Don't expect him to be bettered.

Islamic State
    Black Lives Matter
  • Options
    SeanT said:

As the flip side to Hillary, what must Trump be feeling now? An incredible moment for a total outsider, the Leicester City of politicians. Whatever you think of him, chapeau.

Trump was walking with a scowl and slow swagger reminiscent of a mafia boss from central casting.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Preposterous.

He was the best speaker. And a great campaigner. But that's where it ended. A mediocrity in office.
    Took over the US at the height of the financial crisis and dragged it out of the abyss. History will be kind.
  • Options
    John_M said:

OT: Hammond is really growing on me, though his remarks are going to set UKIP a-froth:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38688786

We are very fortunate to have Theresa May and Phil Hammond in these uncertain times.

They are both competent, serious, and have a vision for this Country that is needed to take the people through our divorce from the EU
  • Options
  • Options
    I agree with @Jonathan. Obama's been the best POTUS in my lifetime (though that lifetime is only 23 years). I'll miss him when he's gone (and Michelle too).
  • Options
    Will there be a Muslim prayer?
  • Options

SeanT said:

As the flip side to Hillary, what must Trump be feeling now? An incredible moment for a total outsider, the Leicester City of politicians. Whatever you think of him, chapeau.

Trump was walking with a scowl and slow swagger reminiscent of a mafia boss from central casting.
    He could at least have done up his jacket!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

What a remarkable achievement for a billionaire son of a millionaire to reach high office.

Obama's achievement is greater.

• Options

SeanT said:

Those bullet proof vests are heavy and uncomfortable.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    God is she reading off an iPad....America no class...and we were all up in arms when Bercow decided not to wear the silly outfit !!!
  • Options

We are very fortunate to have Theresa May and Phil Hammond in these uncertain times.

They are both competent, serious, and have a vision for this Country that is needed to take the people through our divorce from the EU

Ummm

https://twitter.com/msmithsonpb/status/822483104686309376
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    My heart goes out to the Americans.
  • Options
    Reagan is hands down the best president of my lifetime.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    SeanT said:

WTF? The allegations against Clinton are easily as bad as anything hurled at Trump. Indeed they are probably worse and more lurid, and with better evidence.
    Kennedy was no saint either. On a par and in some respects worse than Clinton.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    This is no surprise. His talking head has been a feature on FNC since brexit
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ummm

https://twitter.com/msmithsonpb/status/822483104686309376
    It will be good for the car industry - have faith and lose your negativity
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Only just switched on. Was there a Jewish contribution as well as all the bible bashing?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Mr. D, and atheists/agnostics?

No. The monarch must be Defender of the Faith. He's going to be supreme governor of the Church of England, not a Grand Ayatollah, Chief Rabbi or Lord High Monk.

The title is a historical anachronism brought about by the sheer chutzpah of Henry VIII.

If memory serves, Henry VIII, a good Catholic king in his younger days, was awarded the title by the Pope in recognition of a book or tract Henry wrote refuting the Martin Luther's articles and reforming zeal. When for reasons of dynasty (or lust) Henry broke with Rome and told the Pope to get stuffed he simply kept using the title the title, as have successive monarchs ever since, including two Catholic ones

The Monarch being supreme governor of the Church of England is a statement of constitutional fact. Being Defender of the Faith is rather dubious.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    So with Farage's roles on LBC and Fox News he is now part of the liberal fake news media elite ;-)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

What a remarkable achievement for a billionaire son of a millionaire to reach high office.

Obama's achievement is greater.

Yep. Being the first African-American man to hold office is a much greater achievement than a orange-tanned white man being born into wealth going on to be President. Barack and Michelle Obama have inspired many in the eight years with their stories. I'm not actually sure who Trump 'inspires'.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,749

I agree with @Jonathan. Obama's been the best POTUS in my lifetime (though that lifetime is only 23 years). I'll miss him when he's gone (and Michelle too).

I'll show my age and say LBJ!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149
    SeanT said:

Why is this music so shit? Thank God for the Anglican choral tradition.

Mute the TV and listen to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=034fNYyY9HU
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    glw said:

SeanT said:

Kennedy was no saint either. On a par and in some respects worse than Clinton.
    Kennedy put a man on the Moon. I wonder what Trump can achieve. His tech squillionaire meeting was a very positive step I thought.

Economically he might just be brilliant... Socially I expect him to be a fairly standard republican.
  • Options
    @GerriPeev: This choir looks about as cheery as an Iraqi football team ordered to score goals under Saddam #inauguration
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Just googled it. It's disgusting, but she characterises it as a 'dare' as opposed to being forced. Still, after reading that I agree that JFK isn't that much better than Trump. But I was never a huge JFK fan if I'm being honest. I see him as a charlatan. This was link I read btw: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2099498/Mimi-Alford-The-day-JFK-took-virginity-wifes-White-House-bed.html
    There are much worse stories about JFK than that, and well verified stories too. Jesus you're sheltered!

Why is this music so shit? Thank God for the Anglican choral tradition.
    Bless 'em. They do their best and have to churn this out every four years. Not a patch on the Coronation.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Scott_P said:
    Its been pretty obvious that Farage has been angling for some well paid sinecures in the States. If Fox News is the most trusted television source in the USA I have sympathy for Americans. Murdoch's fingerprints all over it.

• Options
    @SeanT you're not the first person to tell me that. Ah well, I have my whole life ahead of me to become 'unsheltered'.
    Tim_B said:

Scott_P said:
    If they wanted to get a Brexiteer on FNC they should have gotten Dan Hannan.
  • Options

It will be good for the car industry - have faith and lose your negativity

Which bit of "the car industry needs the custom union" is confusing you?

Ah, faith trumps reality...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    John_M said:

Reagan is hands down the best president of my lifetime.

Indeed. ;)
  • Options
    perdix said:

Scott_P said:
    Its been pretty obvious that Farage has been angling for some well paid sinecures in the States. If Fox News is the most trusted television source in the USA I have sympathy for Americans. Murdoch's fingerprints all over it.

Coming to Sky soon ?
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, if Charles want to drop the term, it'd be fine. If he wants to change it to Defender of Faith then he's going beyond his role (head of the Anglican church) whilst excluding atheists and agnostics. Is he going to defend scientologists? Pastafarians? Jedi?

Anyway, we'll find out. Unless he dies before HM, of course, but that seems unlikely.
  • Options

@SeanT you're not the first person to tell me that. Ah well, I have my whole life ahead of me to become 'unsheltered'.

Tim_B said:

Scott_P said:
    If they wanted to get a Brexiteer on FNC they should have gotten Dan Hannan.
    Dan Hannan ?

He is a charismatic speaker, but his stock is in the toilet right now. Farage never promised or wanted the single market.
This discussion has been closed.