Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two new Westminster voting polls with the same picture: Corbyn

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Just so everyone knows, Heseltine's nickname at Oxford was "the vet".
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Over in France (Kantar TNS - not brand new but I had to find it manually :P)

Juppé 28
    Le Pen 28
    Macron 15
    Mélenchon 12
    Hollande 9

9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might make Corbyn feel better.

What are the numbers with Sarkozy?
    That's more complicated, because Bayrou will probably stand if Sarkozy is the LR candidate.
    Yes the results I posted downthread are Sarkozy & Bayrou
    Ah ha, didn't see that. As an aside, it looks like Macron will sit it out if Juppe is the LR candidate...
    what are you basing that on?

(Clearly a more difficult decision than Sarkozy)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2016

Hold your nerve Clinton backers!! Ground game:

"The Democratic presidential nominee and her allies in a dozen battleground states have more than 4,800 people knocking on doors, making phone calls and otherwise working to support her candidacy."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/trump-launches-harsh-attacks-clinton-43210035

MY nerve is not even remotely shaken, I stuck some more cash on Hillary yesterday (although I have cashed out some state betting). I have long banged the drum for GOTV differential.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

So who else has taken next Tuesday/Wednesday off work?

No time left for me :)

Sugar and caffeine for wednesday.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

"The Democratic presidential nominee and her allies in a dozen battleground states have more than 4,800 people knocking on doors, making phone calls and otherwise working to support her candidacy."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/trump-launches-harsh-attacks-clinton-43210035

Sounds like IoS in April 2015. Look at what happened there. Back Trump and spend the winnings on going on holiday. Time it for when the nuclear war starts.
    The interesting aspect is that unlike 2015, the GOP down ticket races are largely doing sod all for Trump, they are campaigning for themselves.

That's what makes me think Trump will not do it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

I have! Might be able to get a fat payoff if its a Leave style night, and I missed most of that in Greece with rubbish internet.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Lifehack: if you don't care about your job, you have no qualms about turning up half-asleep.
  • Options
    nunu said:

That doesn't sound a lot, Leave had 30,000 and Remain 40,000.
    This is the paid staff. 1000s of volunteers as well no doubt.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited November 2016

There are some commentators who suspect that the pollsters have overadjusted for their 2015 debacle and that their figures are now flattering the Tories somewhat. ICM - I think - has moved to Online polling in recent months so making meaningful comparisons with earlier periods is far from straight forward.

Which commentators are these and what is their track record for accuracy?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I have! Might be able to get a fat payoff if its a Leave style night, and I missed most of that in Greece with rubbish internet.
    Yes, I'm off.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sounds like IoS in April 2015. Look at what happened there. Back Trump and spend the winnings on going on holiday. Time it for when the nuclear war starts.
    The interesting aspect is that unlike 2015, the GOP down ticket races are largely doing sod all for Trump, they are campaigning for themselves.

When Alistair pointed out that the polls have a very tough LV filter based only on past vote I got worried. It was that kind of polling which missed the Leave vote over here. If there is a grassroots surge of blue collar workers voting for the first time in 10-20 years then they won't get picked up by the polling leaving the door open for a shock victory in the rust belt. Oddly enough it was including unlikely voters in our 2015 polls which gave us the wrong numbers and set up one of the biggest shocks of UK politics.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

MaxPB said:

Having been got out to vote for the down ticket candidates how many of them will abstain from the Presidential or back Hillary? Not many.

The independents and wavering Republicans are breaking for Trump and his core vote is more fired up than Clinton's. Ground game can't make up for that.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    rcs1000 said:

There were signs around town saying "Hezza for Prezza" when he was running for President of the Oxford Union, which was completely against the rules.
  • Options

justin124 said:

We are surely due a YouGov poll this week.

They seem to be doing a great deal of polling in the US right now .... perhaps they've deployed their top guns over there. While political polling probably isn't that profitable per se, it doesn't half provide them with corporate name familiarity going forward.

Extra bit - I think this is my 5,000th post on Vanilla!
    :+1:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No time left for me :)

Sugar and caffeine for wednesday.
    Nor me.

Although I haven't much money staked.
  • Options

nunu said:

Now that is a foreign aspect to the election - the staggering number of people who have jobs surrounding the campaign. In this country I know precisely noone who has ever been PAID to door knock for a party.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Fortunately I'm largely all green, but I might need to change course to protect investment.

I think my most optimal result is a narrow Clinton victory in the popular vote and a blowout in the electoral college.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    tpfkar said:

Little thing I was wondering - what if Labour completely imploded, nationally as they have in Scotland? I'm imagining the Tory election campaign will dig up plenty of known past misdemeanours on Corbyn & McDonnell, and they are probably holding some back. Combined with new boundaries, what if we ended up with something like:

Tory 470
    SNP 50
    Lab 40
    Lib 10
    UKIP 10
    Others 20

Could parliament function like that, with the SNP acting as Her Majesty's Official Opposition for the whole of the UK? Constitutionally they wouldn't be in a position to act as a Government in waiting. While it would be the biggest free pass the Tories could dream of, it would polarise the country like never before thanks to FPTP effectively disenfranchising all non-Scots opposition.

Labour only need 12-13% of votes nationally to win 50 seats, so the chances of Labour not being the second-largest party are virtually nil.
  • Options

I want Hiliary to win, but it Trump does...it'll be so FUN!

Imagine the Guardianista's

The fun might be shortlived if the whole of the Middle East is in flames and millions of refugees are on the march northwards.
    Have you not been watching the collapse of the USA's foreign policy these last few years?
  • Options
    glw said:

Dromedary said:

glw said:

I was laughing yesterday at the Orgreave decision.

Burnham nearly wet his pants live on TV, brilliant.

I very rarely see any television during the day but happened to see that yesterday. What an absolute chump. I don't know how anybody takes him seriously.
    If "anybody" means "anybody who went to private boarding school", they don't.

Never fear. Blighty keeps a fortnight's gas stocks in preparation for a Russian cut-off, and Zil lanes can be opened up from the City to Heathrow.

I don't watch TV, but I heard some Tory or other on the radio answering questions about Orgreave. All he could say, over and over again, was that some policemen got injured. He was full of class hatred. No surprise. Just saying. And thick as two short planks. Injuries to police officers don't make an argument for not having an inquiry. Nor does the repeatedly parroted fact that unlike at Hillsborough, there weren't scores of deaths. But who listens to oiks when they think they're making a case? Just laugh at them when they get angry at being refused.
    Don't know why you are going on a rant about class.

It seems to me that the people "making a case" haven't made a case, hence the Home Secretary turning down their request. Labour support for the campaign looks to be nakedly political. And from what I've heard from both sides on the radio there's been some very selective recall of the events.

Personally I'm skeptical of all inquiries into events decades after they have happened.
    Except the spin was that there would be an inquiry into Orgreave; then suddenly there wasn't. Speaking of 1980s Tory ministers, is the dead dog story a dead cat tactic?
  • Options

I remember someone not a million miles from here being forced to cancel his booked holiday to the US to undertake ultra urgent contingency planning for Brexit, since when we've heard absolutely nothing further ..... funny that. The words "Drama" and "Queen" spring to mind, no offence meant.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

Now that is a foreign aspect to the election - the staggering number of people who have jobs surrounding the campaign. In this country I know precisely noone who has ever been PAID to door knock for a party.
    Clinton has little choice, she doesn't have the enthusiasm for people to pay for thr privilege of knocking doors for her. Her online shilling organisation (Correct The Record) has huge funding because people were campaigning online for free for Bernie and now Donald.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Hillary really should worry about AA turnout now

Dr. Michael Bitzer – ‏@BowTiePolitics

Among all NC absentee ballots: white voters up 15% over 2012 same day totals, while black voters down 15% http://www.OldNorthStatePolitics.com #ncpol
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

There were signs around town saying "Hezza for Prezza" when he was running for President of the Oxford Union, which was completely against the rules.
    Oxford undergraduates are such cads, they have no honour.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Juppé 28
    Le Pen 28
    Macron 15
    Mélenchon 12
    Hollande 9

That's more complicated, because Bayrou will probably stand if Sarkozy is the LR candidate.
    Ah ha, didn't see that. As an aside, it looks like Macron will sit it out if Juppe is the LR candidate...

I heard it from a very well connected German politician. Macron, one would assume, becomes PM under Juppe in that scenario.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Among all NC absentee ballots: white voters up 15% over 2012 same day totals, while black voters down 15% http://www.OldNorthStatePolitics.com #ncpol

I do hope it won't be so bad as to put my money buying in Maryland in danger :p
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited November 2016
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Juppé 28
    Le Pen 28
    Macron 15
    Mélenchon 12
    Hollande 9

I heard it from a very well connected German politician. Macron, one would assume, becomes PM under Juppe in that scenario.
    Well if Macron has been offered that deal, he'd definitely have taken it. Can you bet on the next PM?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    MaxPB said:

Essexit said:

There's a vacuum wide open for the Lib Dems to fill, unfortunately for them Tim Farron couldn't fill a sandwich.

I would reduce Lab polling ratings by at least 2% and increase LDs by the same. Mainly due to the weighting adjustments based on GE2015 pre-Corbyn as Leader.
    I would knock 10% off the Conservative poll figures and it would still be higher than they actually achieve in real elections
    When are you going to learn, no one gives a shit about the local bin collection. They definitely don't care about local by elections.
    Conservatives don't seem to care about parliamentary by elections either , strange though how they did when Cameron was their leader - you know the chap you stabbed in the back .
  • Options

I remember someone not a million miles from here being forced to cancel his booked holiday to the US to undertake ultra urgent contingency planning for Brexit, since when we've heard absolutely nothing further ..... funny that. The words "Drama" and "Queen" spring to mind, no offence meant.
    Bloody hell Peter, I've been working on delivering on our Brexit plan pretty much exclusively since the early hours of June 24th.

I've been posting about it on here since then. My regular visits to France, and the occasional trips to Berlin.

We're assuming the worst but hoping for the best.

Like most we were expecting article 50 to be triggered this year and an outline of the plan, but nothing yet so far.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Fortunately I'm largely all green, but I might need to change course to protect investment.

I think my most optimal result is a narrow Clinton victory in the popular vote and a blowout in the electoral college.
    I was all green, but I've now backed Trump to the extent that of Clinton wins I'll end up breaking even on the main race. The 6/1 on Clinton ECVs 270-299 was too good to pass up so a narrow victory for Clinton would still leave me marginally better off.

A Trump victory will pay out enough for a two week trip to Fiji. :)
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

Nah just enough that Trump can actually win now:

Scott Ruesterholz – ‏@Read_N_Learn

FL early vote much whiter, African-American share much lower. Would seem to bode well for Trump. FL seems like an easier climb than NC https://twitter.com/electionsmith/status/793278422415872000
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited November 2016
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Juppé 28
    Le Pen 28
    Macron 15
    Mélenchon 12
    Hollande 9

Though would enable Le Pen to portray Juppe as leading an establishment stitch-up in round 2
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Juppé 28
    Le Pen 28
    Macron 15
    Mélenchon 12
    Hollande 9

Though would enable Le Pen to portray Juppe as leading an establishment stitch-up in round 2
    Macron is not the establishment, though. Stitch up, perhaps, but lending support is common in the presidential race.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Essexit said:

There's a vacuum wide open for the Lib Dems to fill, unfortunately for them Tim Farron couldn't fill a sandwich.

I would reduce Lab polling ratings by at least 2% and increase LDs by the same. Mainly due to the weighting adjustments based on GE2015 pre-Corbyn as Leader.
    I would knock 10% off the Conservative poll figures and it would still be higher than they actually achieve in real elections
    When are you going to learn, no one gives a shit about the local bin collection. They definitely don't care about local by elections.
    Conservatives don't seem to care about parliamentary by elections either , strange though how they did when Cameron was their leader - you know the chap you stabbed in the back .
    We do care about Parliamentary by elections.

We've got a 100% record in the ones we've defended this Parliament.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The 6/1 on Clinton ECVs 270-299 was too good to pass up so a narrow victory for Clinton would still leave me marginally better off.

I was ready to offer Sky Bet a hundred quid on that, but they only wanted £3.57 :(
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Juppé 28
    Le Pen 28
    Macron 15
    Mélenchon 12
    Hollande 9

That's irrelevent. Le Pen, and the FN, get virtually no transfer votes against Juppe or Macron or Bayrou.

If her opponent was Sarkozy, Hollande or Melechon then things might be different, but against Juppe, she goes up just 1-2% (from 28% to 30%) between the first and second rounds.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Essexit said:

Were you asleep through the Witney campaign? Richmond is a scenario where the PM knows that Zac will vote with the government on everything except Heathrow vs letting rhe Lib Dems in through the middle. Maybe that's why you're so bitter, the PM has outmanoeuvred your idiot leader who has set expectations on Richmond so high that anything less than victory will be a failure.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

When Alistair pointed out that the polls have a very tough LV filter based only on past vote I got worried. It was that kind of polling which missed the Leave vote over here. If there is a grassroots surge of blue collar workers voting for the first time in 10-20 years then they won't get picked up by the polling leaving the door open for a shock victory in the rust belt. Oddly enough it was including unlikely voters in our 2015 polls which gave us the wrong numbers and set up one of the biggest shocks of UK politics.
    There is some evidence of that in the Ohio Coalfields- some of the counties are up 30% on early voting I recall seeing.
  • Options

Bloody hell Peter, I've been working on delivering on our Brexit plan pretty much exclusively since the early hours of June 24th.

I've been posting about it on here since then. My regular visits to France, and the occasional trips to Berlin.

We're assuming the worst but hoping for the best.

Like most we were expecting article 50 to be triggered this year and an outline of the plan, but nothing yet so far.
    That being the case I apologise .... I've clearly missed any number of your related posts.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Trump, Trump, Trump, the votes are flowing. But whether they will flow all the way to the White House remains to be seen.
    https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/793415328042803201
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Essexit said:

Were you asleep through the Witney campaign? Richmond is a scenario where the PM knows that Zac will vote with the government on everything except Heathrow vs letting rhe Lib Dems in through the middle. Maybe that's why you're so bitter, the PM has outmanoeuvred your idiot leader who has set expectations on Richmond so high that anything less than victory will be a failure.
    Not only was I not asleep through the Witney campaign , I forecast on here exactly the fall in the Conservative vote share from 60% at GE 2015 to 45% . Strange how you Conservatives were happy acclaiming council by election gains when you were making them when stabbed in the back Cameron was leader but now dismiss the losses under May .
  • Options

And you're supposed to be the brightest and the best. I could have told you that A50 wouldn't be triggered this year.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

And you're supposed to be the brightest and the best. I could have told you that A50 wouldn't be triggered this year.
    We're 7 days away from a huge spanner in the Brexit works.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I believed Dave.

http://openeurope.org.uk/daily-shakeup/cameron-government-would-promptly-trigger-article-50-in-the-event-of-a-leave-vote/
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    tlg86 said:

PPPPPP
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

The 6/1 on Clinton ECVs 270-299 was too good to pass up so a narrow victory for Clinton would still leave me marginally better off.

I was ready to offer Sky Bet a hundred quid on that, but they only wanted £3.57 :(
    Indeed and their odds then were *cough* 7/1 IIRC, currently still 6/1.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I believed Dave.

http://openeurope.org.uk/daily-shakeup/cameron-government-would-promptly-trigger-article-50-in-the-event-of-a-leave-vote/
    Well, that's where you went wrong. :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Mike

Age 75+ split in latest ICM poll

CON 74%
    LAB 6%
    LD 10%
    UKIP 4%
  • Options

Mike

CON 74%
    LAB 6%
    LD 10%
    UKIP 4%

UKIP would be disappointed I think.
  • Options

Mike

CON 74%
    LAB 6%
    LD 10%
    UKIP 4%

Devastating.
  • Options

But what about the 1908 Bognor by-election which means that Labour aren't in trouble at all? ;-)

Bugger Bognor.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I believed Dave.

Indeed, Dave should have gone all Adrian Veidt in his resignation announcement on June 24th.

I resign oh and I triggered article 50 35 minutes ago, your problem Boris and Gove.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Mike

CON 74%
    LAB 6%
    LD 10%
    UKIP 4%

Frankly I don't believe those figures.Perhaps 75+ people online are more likely to be Tories but the idea that almost 3 out of 4 people in that age group vote Tory is nonsense.
  • Options
    Well looks like Trump has Georgia locked up.

Betting post, 2% return in a week

Paddy Power are 1-50 on Washington DC for the Democrats

The true odds are something like 1-10,000 I'd have thought.

• Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I believed Dave.

Indeed, Dave should have gone all Adrian Veidt in his resignation announcement on June 24th.

I resign oh and I triggered article 50 35 minutes ago, your problem Boris and Gove.
    Oh, but I thought he couldn't do that without Parliament's consent.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I believed Dave.

No chance. Way too spineless for that.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,592
    edited November 2016
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I believed Dave.

Oh, but I thought he couldn't do that without Parliament's consent.
    Well indeed but it would have been very dramatic.
  • Options

Mike

CON 74%
    LAB 6%
    LD 10%
    UKIP 4%

But what will happen when the Tories scrap the their Triple Lock promise on over-provided state pensions as now prescribed by IDS. This one factor alone was probably sufficient to result in their albeit wafer thin majority.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Careful, AA turnout is apparently down.

;)
  • Options
    Time for a Plato-like WTF...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/37832754

Louis Smith: British Gymnastics bans four-time Olympic medallist over video in which he appeared to mock Islam
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    justin124 said:

Mike

CON 74%
    LAB 6%
    LD 10%
    UKIP 4%

Frankly I don't believe those figures.Perhaps 75+ people online are more likely to be Tories but the idea that almost 3 out of 4 people in that age group vote Tory is nonsense.
    # la la la not listening la la la #
  • Options

Mike

CON 74%
    LAB 6%
    LD 10%
    UKIP 4%

But what will happen when the Tories scrap the their Triple Lock promise on over-provided state pensions as now prescribed by IDS. This one factor alone was probably sufficient to result in their albeit wafer thin majority.
    The abolition of the triple lock will be contain a grandfather/grandmother clause.

It wasn't that the triple lock that won the Tories a majority, it was the forced choice of Dave as PM or Ed Miliband as PM propped up by the SNP.

Without that I reckon the Tories would have been the largest party in a hung parliament.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

Louis Smith: British Gymnastics bans four-time Olympic medallist over video in which he appeared to mock Islam

Do you think the result would have been the same if he'd mocked the Archbishop of Canterbury, or even the Pope?
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

Nah just enough that Trump can actually win now:

Scott Ruesterholz – ‏@Read_N_Learn

FL early vote much whiter, African-American share much lower. Would seem to bode well for Trump. FL seems like an easier climb than NC https://twitter.com/electionsmith/status/793278422415872000
    hispanics seem higher though too offset that. And is that educated or noneducated white countys?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    edited November 2016
    tpfkar said:

Little thing I was wondering - what if Labour completely imploded, nationally as they have in Scotland? I'm imagining the Tory election campaign will dig up plenty of known past misdemeanours on Corbyn & McDonnell, and they are probably holding some back. Combined with new boundaries, what if we ended up with something like:

Tory 470
    SNP 50
    Lab 40
    Lib 10
    UKIP 10
    Others 20

Could parliament function like that, with the SNP acting as Her Majesty's Official Opposition for the whole of the UK? Constitutionally they wouldn't be in a position to act as a Government in waiting. While it would be the biggest free pass the Tories could dream of, it would polarise the country like never before thanks to FPTP effectively disenfranchising all non-Scots opposition.

R.e SNP - There's a precedent in Canada - after 1993, the governing tories lost all but 2 seats (puts Major 1997 in perspective!) and the official opposition was the Bloc Quebecois. I don't think there was any constitutional issue there, they served a full term as official opposition - and Canada's system is the same as ours.

I think a collapse in the labour vote like that requires another party to gain its place - perhaps that could be split between UKIP and LDs depending on the seat, but highly doubt the tories would be the beneficiaries to such a degree, even with FPTP distorting - voters are used to being tactical and would vote accordingly to prevent such an outcome.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Absolutely true, but try getting more than a tenner on ..... at least in my case. Still I suppose 20p is 20p.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Pulpstar said:

Absolutely true, but try getting more than a tenner on ..... at least in my case. Still I suppose 20p is 20p.
    Paddy allowed me £90 on this one :o !

I'd have preffered £900 (or more) but still
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Get yourself to the Paddy Power shop in Darnall, just imagine what they'll allow you in store.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Thewaddendum to that is that in general the All Respondent to Likely Voter screen still shifts polls in favour of the Republicans last I checked.

There was 1 poll a couple of months ago where it went from a 14 point Clinton Lead from All Respondents to and 8 point Hilary Lead for Registered voters to a 4 point lead amongst Likely Voters.
  • Options
    Aaaand CUT to 1-300 :D
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    justin124 said:

Essexit said:

The Witney by election provided clear evidence that Labour is well able to repel the LibDems with 'You cannot trust them not to put the Tories in'.
    No it didn't! Labour's vote share was not too bad (2% on GE IIRC) but in terms of actual votes given the turnout, it was about half their GE vote. Lib Dems went from 4th to 2nd with a swing of almost 20% and several times as many actual votes.
    On top of that, since May Labour have lost council seats to the Lib Dems, some with equally large swings. The Lib Dems have held every seat we've defended.

And you think Labour are able to repel the Lib Dems? Really?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Get yourself to the Paddy Power shop in Darnall, just imagine what they'll allow you in store.
    There is no way the odds would be at 1-50 long enough to justify it.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Trump, Trump, Trump, the votes are flowing. But whether they will flow all the way to the White House remains to be seen.
    https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/793415328042803201

Celebrating a 7 point lead in Georgia (Romney won by 8)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

There is no way the odds would be at 1-50 long enough to justify it.
    Any profit would be wiped out by the fuel costs, and well the trauma of having to visit Darnall
  • Options

Mike

CON 74%
    LAB 6%
    LD 10%
    UKIP 4%

The abolition of the triple lock will be contain a grandfather/grandmother clause.

It wasn't that the triple lock that won the Tories a majority, it was the forced choice of Dave as PM or Ed Miliband as PM propped up by the SNP.

Without that I reckon the Tories would have been the largest party in a hung parliament.
    Yes, with Labour, SNP and LibDems forming a coalition government.
  • Options

I want Hiliary to win, but it Trump does...it'll be so FUN!

Imagine the Guardianista's

I feel the same with Corbyn, I almost want him to win in 2020 purely because of the reaction on the right.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited November 2016
    "Do you think the result would have been the same if he'd mocked the Archbishop of Canterbury, or even the Pope?"

I think we know the answer to that.

Also from the BBC .... "England, Scotland and Wales are in talks with football's world governing body about the issue of poppies on players' shirts to mark Armistice Day.

England play Scotland in a World Cup qualifier at Wembley on 11 November, the day when the United Kingdom traditionally remembers its war dead.

Wales face Serbia at the Cardiff City Stadium the following evening.

Fifa bans political, religious or commercial messages on shirts and has the power to deduct points from teams.

The football associations of England, Scotland and Wales want to know what the potential punishments could be should they decide to flout the rules.

Fifa has not indicated whether a points penalty would be under consideration."

So is a poppy political? Is it religious? Is it commercial?

Why just tell them to fuck off?
  • Options
    Trump's doing three rallies in Florida tomorrow and Clinton has some celebrity fuelled events coming up in the next few days. Both campaigns seem to be treating it as a must win.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    No idea why the pollsters are still overstating Labour.. you ask any true centre Labour voter if they would actually vote Labour... they think Corbyn is bonkers and won't vote Labour whilsat he is leader.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

So that's £1.80 .... don't spend it all at once. Not that there's anything wrong with free money.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited November 2016

Mike

CON 74%
    LAB 6%
    LD 10%
    UKIP 4%

All the Tories need to do is to tell BT and other broadband co's they cannot charge the same for a lesser service. It would be hugely popular. If you get 3mb or less b/band speed then fee is £5 a month.. That would win/keep zillions of votes.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I was all green, but I've now backed Trump to the extent that of Clinton wins I'll end up breaking even on the main race. The 6/1 on Clinton ECVs 270-299 was too good to pass up so a narrow victory for Clinton would still leave me marginally better off.

A Trump victory will pay out enough for a two week trip to Fiji. :)
    I'm now just green on both Clinton and Trump, very green on Kaine, Pence and McMullin, and very red if Michelle gets it, though I love her dearly.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    TonyE said:

Do you think the result would have been the same if he'd mocked the Archbishop of Canterbury, or even the Pope?
    A disgraceful decision.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

"Do you think the result would have been the same if he'd mocked the Archbishop of Canterbury, or even the Pope?"

On Saturday - weather permitting - I will be attending an event at which an effigy of Pope Paul V will be burnt. And quite rightly, no one gets upset about that.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

CD13 said:

On Saturday - weather permitting - I will be attending an event at which an effigy of Pope Paul V will be burnt. And quite rightly, no one gets upset about that.
    Lewes?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,453
    It is interesting that in the US the third party vote (all alternatives combined) remains so stubbornly low. Yet the major parties couldn't have done more to repel voters if they had tried.

In the UK, even when either the Tories or Labour have been relatively popular, between 25-30% of voters have plumped for an alternative, despite knowing that in the vast majority of cases their vote will be wasted. Yet America has the same voting system and it drives almost everyone to vote Rep or Dem even when their candidates are as poor as the current two?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

So that's £1.80 .... don't spend it all at once. Not that there's anything wrong with free money.
    Now if I could find such a 1-50 bet expiring in a week for the next 10 years...
  • Options

tlg86 said:

CD13 said:

Lewes?
    Yep, I'm expecting Trump and, possibly, Clinton to feature.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    MrsB said:

justin124 said:

Essexit said:

The Witney by election provided clear evidence that Labour is well able to repel the LibDems with 'You cannot trust them not to put the Tories in'.
    No it didn't! Labour's vote share was not too bad (2% on GE IIRC) but in terms of actual votes given the turnout, it was about half their GE vote. Lib Dems went from 4th to 2nd with a swing of almost 20% and several times as many actual votes.
    On top of that, since May Labour have lost council seats to the Lib Dems, some with equally large swings. The Lib Dems have held every seat we've defended.

And you think Labour are able to repel the Lib Dems? Really?
    But Labour did not put in anything like the effort - indeed they appear to have only seriously campaigned in the final ten days! It was a far cry from how badly Labour were squeezed at Newbury & Christchurch in 1993 - or indeed Berwick and Sutton & Cheam as far back as 1972/73 when the Liberals went from 3rd place to win the seats.
    As for local by elections, the LibDem vote is still falling in many inner city areas where they have no base . That suggests that underlying support for them remains weak.
  • Options
    I can sympathise, having just renewed my season ticket this morning for over £500

Dark web departure: fake train tickets go on sale alongside AK-47s

Forged rail tickets are now being sold as well as drugs and passports, in an explosion of goods on offer from dark web retail services

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2016/nov/01/dark-web-fake-train-tickets-on-sale?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

46% is the highest I've ever seen Trump. Usually he gets stuck at about 44%. That's definitely worrying.

The most successful political betting strategy.

* Imagine the worse outcome
    * Double it
    * Confirm that in your gut you know there is no way in real life this could actually happen.

Back that outcome heavily.
    I've been backing Trump for a few days now, wiped out my entire positive position on Clinton. I will break even with a Clinton victory and make enough to pay for my holiday to Fiji if Trump wins. At least I'll be by a beach sometime in February.
    On The Beach, as it were.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

CD13 said:

Lewes?
    Yep, I'm expecting Trump and, possibly, Clinton to feature.
    I keep on meaning to go every year, but never get the opportunity.

One year soon
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited November 2016
    It's still early morning on America's East Coast, but the latest ECV projection (24 hr change) from 538.com is as follows:

Clinton ...... 308 (-7)
    Trump ....... 228 (+6)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    North Carolina - Elon - Sample 710 - 22-27 Oct

Clinton 42 .. Trump 41

https://www.elon.edu/e/elon-poll/poll-archive/110116
  • Options

I can sympathise, having just renewed my season ticket this morning for over £500

Dark web departure: fake train tickets go on sale alongside AK-47s

Forged rail tickets are now being sold as well as drugs and passports, in an explosion of goods on offer from dark web retail services

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2016/nov/01/dark-web-fake-train-tickets-on-sale?CMP=twt_gu

£500? Is that an annual ticket? If so, you should count yourself lucky.
  • Options

No idea why the pollsters are still overstating Labour.. you ask any true centre Labour voter if they would actually vote Labour... they think Corbyn is bonkers and won't vote Labour whilsat he is leader.

There is no evidence to support that in actual elections - indeed Witney implied a national Labour vote of circa 31%.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Juppé 28
    Le Pen 28
    Macron 15
    Mélenchon 12
    Hollande 9

That's irrelevent. Le Pen, and the FN, get virtually no transfer votes against Juppe or Macron or Bayrou.

If her opponent was Sarkozy, Hollande or Melechon then things might be different, but against Juppe, she goes up just 1-2% (from 28% to 30%) between the first and second rounds.
    I don't think she will get transfers, but there will be a big increase in overall voters for her - in the regional elections in December, the FN went from 6mil in first round to 6.8mil in second, and that was just a regional. Her voters will turn out in the second round once the campaign really comes to a head.

She'll lose the vote but I'm not convinced it will be as close as it seems now against Juppe - she's objectively a better candidate than Trump is for example (less character flaws, more serious candidate, more charismatic, not someone you think will fire a nuke because of a rude tweet). Plus there are definitely shy FNers, I know a few!
This discussion has been closed.