Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If this analysis and trend of early voters is right then Clint

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

See the Florida poll on the previous thread. If Trump is getting a third of some demographics of registered Democrats you can throw these projections in the bin.

But, of course, Hillary is getting Republicans (like @Charles' in-laws) that a Democrat normally wouldn't.

The question is whether blue collar Dems or GOP establishment voters are more numerous. I think another factor is that GOP establishment voters are making a negative choice while blue collar Dems are making a positive choice, the enthusiasm levels might have an effect, especially in light of the latest email leaks.

Not sure it is that much of a positive choice. The Trump vote is anti almost everything and clearly detests Hillary. He is getting the nihilistic vote.

Positive in a sense of voting for a candidate and his or her ideas vs voting against the other candidate. You may not like the idea of blue collar Dems wanting what Trump is offering, but it is what's happening.

I am afraid I disagree. What I see is a lot of Hillary hate. Just as I see as lot of Trump hate on the other side. There is a reason why the two candidates spend almost all their time attacking each other. It's how they get their votes.

I think that's your vantage point. From the blue collar Dems vantage point it's voting to make America great again after years of decline in earnings and living standards, its voting for a President who says he won't be bullied on the world stage like Obama has been on numerous occasions. Trump comes with a lot of baggage, but there are a lot of people in America who are making a positive choice when they vote for Trump. You or I may not see those positives as important enough vs is negatives.

My vantage point shows me that Hillary has remained ahead of Trump because she is slightly less hated than he is. If that changes - and that looks like it could now happen - Trump will win. I am sure that some blue collar workers are voting Trump for positive reasons, just as I am sure that some people are voting for Hillary for positive reasons. But dislike is clearly the motivating factor for most.
    Trump has got this far because of the underlying popularity of his positions. If the election was just based on policy he would win easily.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    619 said:

GeoffM said:

weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

See the Florida poll on the previous thread. If Trump is getting a third of some demographics of registered Democrats you can throw these projections in the bin.

But, of course, Hillary is getting Republicans (like @Charles' in-laws) that a Democrat normally wouldn't.

The question is whether blue collar Dems or GOP establishment voters are more numerous. I think another factor is that GOP establishment voters are making a negative choice while blue collar Dems are making a positive choice, the enthusiasm levels might have an effect, especially in light of the latest email leaks.

Not sure it is that much of a positive choice. The Trump vote is anti almost everything and clearly detests Hillary. He is getting the nihilistic vote.

Positive in a sense of voting for a candidate and his or her ideas vs voting against the other candidate. You may not like the idea of blue collar Dems wanting what Trump is offering, but it is what's happening.

I am afraid I disagree. What I see is a lot of Hillary hate. Just as I see as lot of Trump hate on the other side. There is a reason why the two candidates spend almost all their time attacking each other. It's how they get their votes.

The difference of course is that Hillary hate is verbal - but Trump hate includes deliberate obstruction of people going to his speeches and kicking a defenceless black woman (Where is Hillary defending her BTW - I thought she was big in supporting women and minorities?) for protecting Trump's star.

Hmmm- protestors have been attacked and abused at Trump events.

Do you not see the difference between ejecting people who have gone to an opponent's event solely to disrupt it, and attacking an old woman on a public street for trying to stop an act of vandalism?
    its nit ejecting people. Its people being suckerpunched in the face.
    I believe that the person who was 'suckerpunched' (by an 80 year old with a catheter) is now under investigation.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    619 said:

GeoffM said:

weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

The difference of course is that Hillary hate is verbal - but Trump hate includes deliberate obstruction of people going to his speeches and kicking a defenceless black woman (Where is Hillary defending her BTW - I thought she was big in supporting women and minorities?) for protecting Trump's star.

Do you not see the difference between ejecting people who have gone to an opponent's event solely to disrupt it, and attacking an old woman on a public street for trying to stop an act of vandalism?
    its nit ejecting people. Its people being suckerpunched in the face.
    If I turned up at a Democrat rally intending to disrupt it and cause trouble I wouldn't be surprised if that happened to me.
  • Options
    Also I assume you are unaware about the undercover videos released showing that the Democrats tried to instigate violence at Trump meetings - and that the person in charge of this tactic visited the White House daily for the last year.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I remember a white Democrat dressed as a Klansman getting flattened by an AA Trump supporter. I remember that.
    As the Klan were white Democats anyway, that was just his weekend clothes and he turned the wrong corner on his way to a regular meeting.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited October 2016
    Interestingly, from a betting perspective, SkyBet's favourite 30 Democratic ECV band continues to be 330 - 359 at decimal odds of 3.0, followed by the 300 - 329 band on offer at 4.33, with their 360- 389 surprisingly not far behind on 5.0
    DYOR.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited October 2016

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I think negatives.

My vantage point shows me that Hillary has remained ahead of Trump because she is slightly less hated than he is. If that changes - and that looks like it could now happen - Trump will win. I am sure that some blue collar workers are voting Trump for positive reasons, just as I am sure that some people are voting for Hillary for positive reasons. But dislike is clearly the motivating factor for most.
    Trump has got this far because of the underlying popularity of his positions. If the election was just based on policy he would win easily.

But it's not and so he has been mostly behind from the get-go. He will get most of his votes from Republicans who always vote for whoever the Republican candidate is, just as Hillary will get most of her votes from Democrats who vote for whoever the Democrat candidate is. The key bit is the bit in the middle. Some of that will be voting for positive reasons, most won't.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

The updated ECV projection from 538.com shows a similar, albeit drift of support from Hillary and towards The Donaldas we saw yesterday. If this were to continue for the next 9 days at the same rate, then we'd be close to a dead heat.

The numbers, with changes since yesterday are:
    Cinton ......... 319 (-5)
    Trump ......... 218 (+5)

They are currently shown as being around 100 ECVs apart. A week ago the gap was approx 145 ECVs.
    So in effect, one large state of 22 ECVs or 3 small states each of 7 ECVs have swung away from Clinton to Trump. The interesting aspect now is that a couple of the larger, previously Democratic trending states, could now be in play.

Essentially 538 have edged Ohio, Iowa and Arizona back into Trump's column. They were the ripe fruit for Donald. Other swing states are more problematic.

1,894th reminder .... Trump must keep all of Romney 12 .... and then it's FOP or bust .... :smile:
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    weejonnie said:

Also I assume you are unaware about the undercover videos released showing that the Democrats tried to instigate violence at Trump meetings - and that the person in charge of this tactic visited the White House daily for the last year.

is that from a discredited Repub documentary maker known for making stuff up and who lost a few lawsuits on that point?
  • Options
    619 said:

weejonnie said:

is that from a discredited Repub documentary maker known for making stuff up and who lost a few lawsuits on that point?
    Well the Democrat guy was sacked - so I suspect it wasn't.
  • Options
    619 said:

weejonnie said:

No
  • Options
    A great day for Europe and Canada.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

But it's not and so he has been mostly behind from the get-go. He will get most of his votes from Republicans who always vote for whoever the Republican candidate is, just as Hillary will get most of her votes from Democrats who vote for whoever the Democrat candidate is. The key bit is the bit in the middle. Some of that will be voting for positive reasons, most won't.

Which was my original point, I think the crossover voters for Trump are more likely to be making a positive choice than crossover voters for Hillary. Not a comforting thought for either of us, but there might e profitable opportunities if it is true.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    weejonnie said:

The edited video by James O'Keefe who has paid out a six figure sum and apologised over a previous edited video? Excuse me if I do not take it seriously.

And even then the video did not say they instigated violence, just that they would protest peacefully and Trump supporters would initiate the violence.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    JackW said:

The updated ECV projection from 538.com shows a similar, albeit drift of support from Hillary and towards The Donaldas we saw yesterday. If this were to continue for the next 9 days at the same rate, then we'd be close to a dead heat.

Trump ......... 218 (+5)

They are currently shown as being around 100 ECVs apart. A week ago the gap was approx 145 ECVs.
    So in effect, one large state of 22 ECVs or 3 small states each of 7 ECVs have swung away from Clinton to Trump. The interesting aspect now is that a couple of the larger, previously Democratic trending states, could now be in play.

Essentially 538 have edged Ohio, Iowa and Arizona back into Trump's column. They were the ripe fruit for Donald. Other swing states are more problematic.

1,894th reminder .... Trump must keep all of Romney 12 .... and then it's FOP or bust .... :smile:
    Of course, given the probabilistic nature of the model, the expected numbers in the electoral college do change gradually and continuously with the poll ratings. Those three states have turned pale pink now, but according to Silver the probability of Trump winning them is only in the range 52-54%.

Still too soon to show any influence of the FBI news, of course.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

The edited video by James O'Keefe who has paid out a six figure sum and apologised over a previous edited video? Excuse me if I do not take it seriously.

And even then the video did not say they instigated violence, just that they would protest peacefully and Trump supporters would initiate the violence.
    But you obviously ARE taking it seriously. Otherwise why attack it?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

In the innocent way that West Ham fans would protest peacefully by singing some songs outside the Spurs ground - and then be utterly astonished when Spurs fans started kicking their heads in.....

Are you really THAT naive?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Sarah Olney confirmed as Lib Dem candidate for Richmond Park.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Frank Luntz
    “Clinton's support among likely voters 18-34 years old dropped -6 points, to 62% from 68%.”

Still leads by 40%.

https://t.co/4piui46iu5 https://t.co/WSRNOpD6zM
  • Options

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

In the innocent way that West Ham fans would protest peacefully by singing some songs outside the Spurs ground - and then be utterly astonished when Spurs fans started kicking their heads in.....

Are you really THAT naive?
    I literally don't trust 1 moment of the video as a truthful depiction of reality given the source.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

But you obviously ARE taking it seriously. Otherwise why attack it?
    Because partisan wankers are trying to push it ?
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

No reason why a trade deal cannot be agreed with the UK after Brexit and much more quickly since much of the spade work presumably already done.

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Canada is quite protectionist, can see then and France butting heads over this in future, that's the problem with 27 different special interests.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255
    Frank Luntz ‏@FrankLuntz 5m5 minutes ago
    Millennial voters (age 18-34) are about 31% of the electorate, but just 19% of voter turnout. (Boomers were 38%.)

It is incredible with so much at stake that this age group just can't be arsed. Same thing with EU referendum.

Makes me angry.
  • Options
    perdix said:

No reason why a trade deal cannot be agreed with the UK after Brexit and much more quickly since much of the spade work presumably already done.

Oh, is that what it is about.
    Looking at the photo I'd guessed at an agreement to recognise cross-border polygamous gay marriage.
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 3m3 minutes ago
    Lot of people starting to panic about Trump. But the fundamentals remain the same. He doesn't have path.
  • Options
    :smiley:

BBC Archive
    #OTD 1938 Orson Welles' notorious War Of The Worlds radio play was broadcast, terrifying listeners across the US #Halloween https://t.co/q1GmxEZkHz
  • Options

Lot of people starting to panic about Trump. But the fundamentals remain the same. He doesn't have path.

Constant repetition that 'he doesn't have a path' doesn't make it true or insightful. His path is that more people will vote for him than expected, or fewer will vote for Hillary. That's all it takes.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    slade said:

At a meeting of members, she got about 100 votes for, with nil against and nil abstentions amid great enthusiam.

When she is elected, the proportion of women LibDem MPs, will be the highest its history.
  • Options

Yay, a Dan Hodges prediction!
    Melania should start measuring up for new curtains in the White House.
  • Options

Many more will be panicked after that tweet.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    perdix said:

I would have thought the EFTA-Canada trade deal will be the more likely template
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,123
    edited October 2016

Millennial voters (age 18-34) are about 31% of the electorate, but just 19% of voter turnout. (Boomers were 38%.)

It is incredible with so much at stake that this age group just can't be arsed. Same thing with EU referendum.

Makes me angry.

Didn't the proposition that the young hadn't turned out in the EU refendum prove to be way off track?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    nunu said:

Canada is quite protectionist, can see then and France butting heads over this in future, that's the problem with 27 different special interests.
    Canada, New Zealand and South Korea are the three least protectionist real countries on the planet (i.e. ignoring microstates) according to WTO rankings.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

perdix said:

I would have thought the EFTA-Canada trade deal will be the more likely template
    That's the soft-Brexit/no-Brexit option, in which case we can just stay as we are.
  • Options
    I think I have this right, but if Trump wins Ohio, Florida, Iowa, Penn, Nevada and Arizona; and Utah goes indie - then it is an undecided ECV.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

slade said:

At a meeting of members, she got about 100 votes for, with nil against and nil abstentions amid great enthusiam.

When she is elected, the proportion of women LibDem MPs, will be the highest its history.
    Were any other names put forward to this meeting though?
    Such wild acclimation should always be placed in context.

If there were no other candidates and only 100 members turned up it's a bit limp compared with the spin.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Makes me angry.

Didn't the proposition that the young hadn't turned out in the EU refendum prove to be way off track?
    You may be right:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/09/young-people-referendum-turnout-brexit-twice-as-high

In which case I have been mouthing abuse into my pint for months over the wrong group of people :-)
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    GeoffM said:

Barnesian said:

slade said:

If there were no other candidates and only 100 members turned up it's a bit limp compared with the spin.

Indeed. Perhaps they could put a bar chart together to show us the full accurate picture of what happened?

• Options
    JackW said:

Trump ......... 218 (+5)

Jack - I readily accept that Hillary will very probably win. The issue for me is where she's most likely to finish in the 300 - 400 ECV range. As I posted half an hour ago the SkyBet odds for the three 30 seat ECV bands are surprisingly close to one another.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Yay, a Dan Hodges prediction!
    Melania should start measuring up for new curtains in the White House.
    I know, I started to get worried again when I read that. May have to change my trousers again at this rate.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Barnesian said:

slade said:

Indeed. Perhaps they could put a bar chart together to show us the full accurate picture of what happened?

That's a great idea.
    We can always trust a LibDem bar chart to enlighten us.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Constant repetition that 'he doesn't have a path' doesn't make it true or insightful. His path is that more people will vote for him than expected, or fewer will vote for Hillary. That's all it takes.
    Yeh, the more support you have the wider the path.

4% behind, and Trump probably loses North Carolina, but gains Ohio and Iowa, taking him to 215 EC votes.

2% behind, he likely adds Florida and Maine 2 That's 245.

1% behind, he holds North Carolina and adds Nevada. That's 265.

Level-pegging, he wins either or both of New Hampshire and Pennsylvania, and the Presidency.

• Options

JackW said:

Trump ......... 218 (+5)

Jack - I readily accept that Hillary will very probably win. The issue for me is where she's most likely to finish in the 300 - 400 ECV range. As I posted half an hour ago the SkyBet odds for the three 30 seat ECV bands are surprisingly close to one another.
    Unless she loses Florida over 300 appears firm. Losing AZ and NC takes Clinton down to 308 and that accounts for Trump taking Ohio and Iowa too :

http://www.270towin.com/maps/eX0wP
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    GeoffM said:

Barnesian said:

slade said:

Acclimation is always gradual, never wild.

Acclamation, on the other hand, is always wild.

Sorry - I'm being a clever clogs :grin:
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Trump ......... 218 (+5)

Unless she loses Florida over 300 appears firm. Losing AZ and NC takes Clinton down to 308 and that accounts for Trump taking Ohio and Iowa too :

In a parallel universe where the crooked crone isn't under criminal investigation by the FBI.
    You're in shell shocked denial.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

GeoffM said:

Barnesian said:

slade said:

Acclimation is always gradual, never wild.

Acclamation, on the other hand, is always wild.

Sorry - I'm being a clever clogs :grin:
    Accepted!
    (although the intended point still stands)
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    This talk about paths is interesting. The real deal is where the candidates are spending their time on the ground. Clinton seems to have had a consistent strategy of visiting the toss up states / swing states that give her a healthy but not landslide ECV. I do not see that changing any time soon one way or another. Trump on the other hand seems to be playing a game of respectable loss.

I did meet some US citizens in London a couple of months ago. One was going to vote for Trump the other was undecided. I just listened to them and did not express a preference as I think it wrong to comment on another countries internal affairs in a social context.
  • Options
    CNN:

Justice Department and FBI officials are working to secure approval that would allow the FBI to conduct a full search of top Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedein's newly discovered emails, sources familiar with the discussions told CNN.

Government lawyers haven't yet approached Abedin's lawyers to seek an agreement to conduct the search. Sources earlier told CNN that those discussions had begun, but the law enforcement officials now say they have not.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Was that before or after Lunch as Nunckers eyes look a bit odd!!
  • Options

Makes me angry.

You may be right:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/09/young-people-referendum-turnout-brexit-twice-as-high

In which case I have been mouthing abuse into my pint for months over the wrong group of people :-)
    Och, we all need to mutter into our pints about someone!
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Trump ......... 218 (+5)

In a parallel universe where the crooked crone isn't under criminal investigation by the FBI.
    In a "parallel universe" Clinton wouldn't have Donald as the shield for all her failings ....

And there we have it .... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Acquaintances of mine helped in the Jungle, but 'Helen' in this story seems to have her priorities rather amiss:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37796876
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited October 2016

rcs1000 said:

perdix said:

That's the soft-Brexit/no-Brexit option, in which case we can just stay as we are.
    The EU and EFTA deals with Canada could both be viewed as baseline templates for a bi-lateral without being in either the EU or EFTA.

We are Canada's biggest trading partner in Europe, and over 40% of it's export market in the current EU.
  • Options

Acquaintances of mine helped in the Jungle, but 'Helen' in this story seems to have her priorities rather amiss:

She sounds like a loon.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Sean_F said:

She sounds like a loon.
    I cannot believe someone with children would put the welfare of others over them. It is very sad.
  • Options
    Clinton's advertising buy for the 10/25 to 10/31 week has doubled from ~$15 million to over $31 million -- heavy on Florida, national cable. https://t.co/yMDl3gYOmX
  • Options
    In depth on what happened on the plane when news broke:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-clinton-email-campaign-20161029-story.html?utm_content=bufferb9755&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Link via Luntz

This contradicts other stories that there was no wifi
  • Options
    ?!?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2606014/

The FBI agents investigating Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server knew weeks ago that the thousands of emails they found in a separate investigation would be applicable to the case.

The agents waited weeks to disclose what they found in a briefing with FBI Director James Comey, according to sources familiar with the case, the Washington Post reported on Sunday.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Trump ......... 218 (+5)

In a "parallel universe" Clinton wouldn't have Donald as the shield for all her failings ....

Hillary has Jennifer Lopez in her corner, who apparently has some psephological chops to rival your own.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3886388/Hillary-tries-dance-troubles-away-JLo-endorsement-concert-Florida.html
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sean_F said:

She sounds like a loon.
    It sounds like she had an affair with the translator and that's why she got divorced.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

?!?

The FBI agents investigating Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server knew weeks ago that the thousands of emails they found in a separate investigation would be applicable to the case.

The agents waited weeks to disclose what they found in a briefing with FBI Director James Comey, according to sources familiar with the case, the Washington Post reported on Sunday.

Waited until maximum damage for Clinton. Comfey is a GOP.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sean_F said:

She sounds like a loon.
    It sounds like she had an affair with the translator and that's why she got divorced.
    Razor blade?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Trump ......... 218 (+5)

Hillary has Jennifer Lopez in her corner, who apparently has some psephological chops to rival your own.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3886388/Hillary-tries-dance-troubles-away-JLo-endorsement-concert-Florida.html
    Well, she's certainly got a nice ARSE!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,267
    Sean_F said:

She sounds like a loon.
    Helen for President!

At least she's only a loon and not under criminal investigation, unlike the two currently slugging it out.

Oh wait, damn, she's 28 and Welsh, so disqualified on two counts.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited October 2016

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

She sounds like a loon.
    Razor blade?
    Relationship in trouble - time in Calais was nail in coffin. Presumably she'd spent some time there before it became a decisive issue.

She met the translator and "quickly fell in love" 5 months after first going.

By applying the methods prescribed by a 13th century monk, I conclude that her relationship with the translator had something to do with the divorce
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sandpit said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Trump ......... 218 (+5)

Well, she's certainly got a nice ARSE!
    There is only one true ARSE!
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited October 2016

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-clinton-email-campaign-20161029-story.html?utm_content=bufferb9755&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Link via Luntz

I would think you can use satellite phones on aircraft, but I don't know.

Edit the article specifically says wifi
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Off now. The post-race piece will be up tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sean_F said:

4% behind, and Trump probably loses North Carolina, but gains Ohio and Iowa, taking him to 215 EC votes.

Level-pegging, he wins either or both of New Hampshire and Pennsylvania, and the Presidency.

Despite all the emphasis on state-by-state analysis, isn't it still the case that the winner of the popular vote will almost certainly also win the electoral college?

And I'm not convinced anyone really knows whose vote is more efficiently distributed, in the event that's not the case.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012

Makes me angry.

They turned out for Obama in bigger numbers than that
  • Options
    Poor America. Such a terrible choice: a lying, misogynist, racist, dangerous, unpredictable crooked person, or Donald Trump.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited October 2016
    philiph said:

Link via Luntz

I would think you can use satellite phones on aircraft, but I don't know.

Edit the article specifically says wifi
    Aircraft wifi systems use satellite phones for their data signal. Retro-fit installs of these on older planes are notoriously slow and unreliable, especially on a plane full of journalists all trying to connect to it!

Modern OEM installs from Boeing and Airbus are really good though, can have a couple of hundred people browsing the web and checking their emails at the same time - albeit with no video allowed.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2016

Link via Luntz

Good choice of photographer and her reaction sounds very appropriate. Hillary appears to be a very cool lady. I wish the British had someone as impressive. As for her opponent.....if only three Americans were going to vote for him I'd find it shocking.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Link via Luntz

I don't recall any stories saying the plane had no wifi at all. The stories said they only had a brief period of reception during which all the journalists got the message.
  • Options
    Harry Enten on 538 finds that the biggest recorded effect of an "October Surprise" was a 2 point change in Obama's lead in 2008:
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-much-do-october-surprises-move-the-polls/?ex_cid=2016-forecast
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

?!?

Waited until maximum damage for Clinton. Comfey is a GOP.
    Did you read the comment? It said the agents took weeks to finally disclose what they found to the director. He wasn't sitting on it.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Harry Enten on 538 finds that the biggest recorded effect of an "October Surprise" was a 2 point change in Obama's lead in 2008:
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-much-do-october-surprises-move-the-polls/?ex_cid=2016-forecast

And the biggest bomb before August 1945 was about 10 tonnes of TNT. Your point?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2016
    Chris said:

Despite all the emphasis on state-by-state analysis, isn't it still the case that the winner of the popular vote will almost certainly also win the electoral college?

And I'm not convinced anyone really knows whose vote is more efficiently distributed, in the event that's not the case.

Yeah, although it's not impossible. If Trump has 25% chance overall, about a third of that is down to him losing the popular vote but winning the EC. For example, say he shifts the national vote 4%, thus taking all the main 5 swing states (FL OH NV NC IA), then NH lives up to the independent stereotype and flips = he has 270 but Clinton has >1% more votes.

Clinton expanding the race to Arizona, Alaska, Georgia and even Texas is looking like hubris now (although understandable as the polls were). She might lose all these narrowly and get nothing for her efforts.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, it may well be as simple as that. I think hillary will win with room to spare, but overperforming in the Sunbelt and underperforming in the Midwest.

I don't think there's much value out there
  • Options
    Roger said:

Link via Luntz

Good choice of photographer and her reaction sounds very appropriate. Hillary appears to be a very cool lady. I wish the British had someone as impressive. As for her opponent.....if only three Americans were going to vote for him I'd find it shocking.
    She does keep a cool head, in noticeable contrast to the Trumpster.
  • Options
    18:33 GMT and the fireworks have begun in Southern Bedford shire. Happy Diwali!
  • Options
    Given most recent US polls have had Hillary's lead over Trump at slightly more than Obama's lead over Romney it is hardly surprising early voting so far has reflected 2012. However, as of today the RCP poll average has Hillary leading Trump by just 3.4% in a 4 way race, 0.5% less than Obama's margin over Romney with most of the polling done before the new emailgate news. Given 80% of Americans are yet to vote there is plenty left to run in this race
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5952.html
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Chris said:

Grand Slam had a thick, aerodynamic, ground-penetrating case. Unlikely to have that much power within (despite aluminium enhancers).
  • Options

Roger said:

Link via Luntz

She does keep a cool head, in noticeable contrast to the Trumpster.
    That's why I really don't credit the view that Clinton would be more likely to take the US to war than Trump. Clinton would be much more likely to think things through and use the very skills that she's in trouble for at the moment to find another avenue.

Trump would just be bellicose.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Chris said:

Yeah, although it's not impossible. If Trump has 25% chance overall, about a third of that is down to him losing the popular vote but winning the EC. For example, say he shifts the national vote 4%, thus taking all the main 5 swing states (FL OH NV NC IA), then NH lives up to the independent stereotype and flips = he has 270 but Clinton has >1% more votes.

Clinton expanding the race to Arizona, Alaska, Georgia and even Texas is looking like hubris now (although understandable as the polls were). She might lose all these narrowly and get nothing for her efforts.
    Interestingly CBS today has Clinton's lead in Colorado down to just 3%, which means it might also be a potential Trump target along with its 9 EC votes
    https://www.scribd.com/document/329404955/CBS-News-Battleground-Tracker-Colorado-Oct-30-2016#from_embed
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2016
    It does seem unfortunate that the head of the FBI is a registered Republican. As this seems to be the new angle on the story it's very difficult to predict who if anyone it's likely to damage.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    edited October 2016

weejonnie said:

Chris said:

Grand Slam had a thick, aerodynamic, ground-penetrating case. Unlikely to have that much power within (despite aluminium enhancers).
    4 tons of Torpex, actually, IIRC
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Chris said:

Sean_F said:

According to 538 Trumps vote is more efficient because of his huge lead with older whites. He is more likely to 'win' even if he loses popular vote by 1%.
  • Options

18:33 GMT and the fireworks have begun in Southern Bedford shire. Happy Diwali!

I love diwali. Sweeties and samosas galore at work tomorrow!

Poor pussy cat not so keen tbough :-(
  • Options
    Roger said:

It does seem unfortunate that the head of the FBI is a registered Republican. As this seems to be the new angle on the story it's very difficult to predict who if anyone it's likely to damage.

He was, but apparently is no longer. And remember, he was appointed by Obama, so he can't be that bad!
  • Options
    If Clinton is doubling her money on advertising in Florida it would suggest:-

1) She thinks she is or could fall behind and
    2) She needs it.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Chris said:

JackW said:

Pennsylvania - North Carolina - Colorado - Arizona - YouGov/CBS - Total Sample 4,074 - 26-28 Oct

PA - Clinton 48 .. Trump 40
    NC - Clinton 48 .. Trump 45
    CO - Clinton 42 .. Trump 39
    AZ - Clinton 42 .. Trump 44

Note - Different post Dickileak poll shows little impact.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-battleground-poll-partisans-divide-on-news-of-fbi-emails/

Showing 5% of Democrats less likely to support Clinton as a result of the FBI statement. That's roughly the same as the 7% in another poll quoted earlier, so 2 or 3% of those polled.

The trouble is, if 3% actually changed sides, on the current 538 model that would give Trump Colorado, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, and put him well over the finishing line.
    And 13% more likely to support her ....

I'm minded to think that on balance there will be little polling fallout. The voters know that Clinton made an almighty balls up of her server. The insulation she has is called Donald Trump.

We'll get some indications from the trackers and possible enthusiasm from early voting trends.
    0% of Republicans are more likely to support her, 26% less likely to support her. Amongst Democrats 5% are less likely to support her, 13% more likely. So overall that is a clear potential net loss for Clinton
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-battleground-poll-partisans-divide-on-news-of-fbi-emails/
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Chris said:

According to Wiki, it has just over 4 tons of explosive for the 10 ton weight. As you say, this was purposefully done to allow it to penetrate deep underground before exploding (giving it a nickname of the earthquake bomb)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_(bomb)

That page also links to the Heligoland explosion;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heligoland#Explosion
  • Options
    nunu said:

Chris said:

Sean_F said:

According to 538 Trumps vote is more efficient because of his huge lead with older whites. He is more likely to 'win' even if he loses popular vote by 1%.
    I disagree, Trump leads the popular vote in at least one poll, he does not lead enough states in any polls to win the EC unless they are slightly wrong (of course not impossible). So it is more likely Trump wins the popular vote but loses the electoral college than Hillary wins the popular vote but loses the electoral college.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Barnesian said:

slade said:

And back in the real world, Zac will win possibly with an increased majority...
  • Options
    Chris said:

Sean_F said:

Within 0-0.75% the EC can go to the candidate with the smaller vote. After that, it should always go to the candidate with the bigger vote.

I think Trump's vote is more efficiently distributed than Romney's was.
This discussion has been closed.