Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to the new gerontocracy

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Mr. Bedfordshire, MacGregor seems to want us to feel bad for the past being worse than the present. Not enough self-loathing in our view of history.

Daft sod.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Mr. Max, if they launch a coup and try to stop our departure it'll destroy the party. If they launch a coup and are seen as softer than May there'll be a backbench challenge. If they launch a coup and fail it'll damage the party significantly.

Surely the timing is to exert pressure to improve (as they see it) any deal, then axe May once the deal is done, and she's taken the heat for it.

Yes, I think the latter is what we're looking at, the liberal wing will begin to align to ensure we don't have stupid policies like the foreign workers register being considered by the leadership. Once Brexit is complete I think they might go in to depose her if the poll rating is poor.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

The Kipper-Trump nexus continues.

https://twitter.com/RaheemKassam/status/784560940587048960

Slightly more shocking that a candidate for a 'major' party is barely able to write coherent English.

He has got a point though.
    That Trump's behaviour is excused and explained by "filthy Hollywood culture"? I think your definition of "a point" needs looking at.
    No it is not saying that. It is saying that the left has brought about the situation where such behaviour is increasingly widespread.
    Letter Lord Byron to John Hobhouse, 1818

[the singer Arpalice Taruscelli] "is a piece to perish in...I have fucked her twice a day for the last six..."

Hollywood to blame?
    Someone like Trump could have flaunted his vices as openly in Regency times as he can today. But, he probably couldn't have done 50 or 60 years ago.
    My guess is this has been standard golf club bar talk since the beginning of time. It is repulsive, for sure, but as Macauley said there is “no sight more ridiculous than the British public in one of its periodic fits of morality", except - in this case - the American public.

I must say I never realised the trick was to take them furniture shopping.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

Dromedary said:

It's not too late for Trump to be replaced as the Republican candidate.

In the 2002 US Senate election in New Jersey, sitting Democratic senator Robert Torricelli dropped out of the race after scandals caused his performance in polls to go through the floor. The Democrats chose Frank Lautenberg as his replacement, but to get him onto the ballots they had to go to the state Supreme Court. They won the case, and 34 days before the election the court allowed new ballots to be printed, carrying Lautenberg's name instead of Torricelli's.

In the 1992 election in New York state to the US House of Representatives, sitting congressmen Theodore Weiss died on 14 September. The Democrats chose Jerrold Nadler as his replacement, and took a "vote Weiss to elect Nadler" approach, which was successful.

If Trump dies then that'll work.

Could you find any cases where the candidate dropped out rather than dying (like your first case) but was still on the ballot (like your second), and the process transferred seamlessly away from the candidate who had technically won?
    No, I haven't found any that meet both of the first two criteria.
  • Options
    When even The Tele realises it's gone too far.

https://twitter.com/DavidJFHalliday/status/784730505400971264
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    MaxPB said:

Mr. Max, if they launch a coup and try to stop our departure it'll destroy the party. If they launch a coup and are seen as softer than May there'll be a backbench challenge. If they launch a coup and fail it'll damage the party significantly.

Surely the timing is to exert pressure to improve (as they see it) any deal, then axe May once the deal is done, and she's taken the heat for it.

Yes, I think the latter is what we're looking at, the liberal wing will begin to align to ensure we don't have stupid policies like the foreign workers register being considered by the leadership. Once Brexit is complete I think they might go in to depose her if the poll rating is poor.
    The liberal wing is dead for at least a decade, if May is deposed it will only be by a hardline Brexiteer if she is seen as too soft
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

An expert speaks.

'Britain's view of its history 'dangerous', says former museum director

“In Britain we use our history in order to comfort us to make us feel stronger, to remind ourselves that we were always, always deep down, good people,” he said. “Maybe we mention a little bit of slave trade here and there, a few wars here and there, but the chapters we insist on are the sunny ones,” he said.
    MacGregor warned: “This sort of handling of history is dangerous as well as regrettable”.'

http://tinyurl.com/jlxwrvp

Apparently pretending we were the only people who won at Waterloo is as bad as having allowed the Nazis to run a country for a dozen years.

OK then.
  • Options

@Alanbrooke and other Mayflies

OK. By what measures do you expect the WWC to be in a better position in Wales and the North at the end of Mrs May's premiership?

A better Gini co-efficient?

Increased employment?

Increased participation in higher education?

Re-establishment of manufacturing industry?

Or some other measure?

Set the parameters and we will see.

well it goes back to the position who is she protecting them from ?

Mostly it's the upper middle classes who are happy lining their own pockets and ignoring the impact on everyone else and the interfering " liberal classes " who seem to want to tell everyone else what to do and pass laws to make them do it.

Have you seen Charles Moore's article in today's Telegraph, Mr. Brooke?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/07/we-voted-brexit-to-get-greater-freedom-not-to-have-yet-more-gove/

He seems rather concerned that Mrs. May does want to tell businesses how they should be run and will pass laws to make them do it. Well worth a read.

Also from the same paper is an article by an eminent oncologist that points to one of the possible benefits of leaving the iron hand of EU regulation. Again well worth a read, and I should be very interested to hear @FoxinSox's views on it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/07/brexit-means-we-can-revive-clinical-trials-killed-by-the-eu/
    Moore wanted a libertarian, free trade nirvana, he will get a more statist, protectionist nation. Tough. Most Leave voters voted for a tough line on immigration and against globalisation and the libertarian Leavers pandered to it, if they end up losing control of the train they unleashed they have only themselves to blame. I have zero sympathy. With the economy inevitably slowing down due to hard Brexit, the need for state subsidies to protect some manufacturing areas etc there will be no laissez-faire UK
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    HYUFD said:

Trump campaign says the UK will be offered a trade deal before the EU. As the US is the nation to which the UK exports the most this confirms Brexiteers should be rooting for a Trump win. Hillary would of course do a trade deal with the EU before the UK

Dan DiMicco said 'Britain was "a friend" of America and was leaving the EU for the right reasons.... Mr DiMicco said with the present Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) proposals "on hold", Britain would be at the front of the queue for any future trade deal once the UK has left the EU.
    His comments contrast with those of outgoing President Barack Obama, who - speaking before the UK's EU referendum in June - said Britain would go to the "back of the queue" for trade deals with the US if it left the EU.
    When asked if the US would do a deal with Britain ahead of the EU, Mr DiMicco told me: "Absolutely.
    "First off they are our friends, they have always supported us, and we've worked together, and they are leaving the EU in our estimation for the right reasons.
    "They have lost control of their economy, the job creation engine, so why shouldn't we be working with like-minded people before we do a deal with anybody else?"'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37594928

All very nice, but Trump will never be president.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,284
    edited October 2016

An expert speaks.

“In Britain we use our history in order to comfort us to make us feel stronger, to remind ourselves that we were always, always deep down, good people,” he said. “Maybe we mention a little bit of slave trade here and there, a few wars here and there, but the chapters we insist on are the sunny ones,” he said.
    MacGregor warned: “This sort of handling of history is dangerous as well as regrettable”.'

Tosh

Mr. Bedfordshire, MacGregor seems to want us to feel bad for the past being worse than the present. Not enough self-loathing in our view of history.

Daft sod.

An expert speaks.

Apparently pretending we were the only people who won at Waterloo is as bad as having allowed the Nazis to run a country for a dozen years.

OK then.

I'd never have expected those responses from you (edit) three.
    Thanks for challenging my preconceptions, guys!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

In the 2002 US Senate election in New Jersey, sitting Democratic senator Robert Torricelli dropped out of the race after scandals caused his performance in polls to go through the floor. The Democrats chose Frank Lautenberg as his replacement, but to get him onto the ballots they had to go to the state Supreme Court. They won the case, and 34 days before the election the court allowed new ballots to be printed, carrying Lautenberg's name instead of Torricelli's.

In the 1992 election in New York state to the US House of Representatives, sitting congressmen Theodore Weiss died on 14 September. The Democrats chose Jerrold Nadler as his replacement, and took a "vote Weiss to elect Nadler" approach, which was successful.

Could you find any cases where the candidate dropped out rather than dying (like your first case) but was still on the ballot (like your second), and the process transferred seamlessly away from the candidate who had technically won?
    I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you are trying to show, but If I do then this seems to fit:

n the fall of 2006, Republicans mounted the "Punch Foley for Negron" campaign in Florida's 16th district after a scandal broke about Rep. Mark Foley's e-mails to congressional pages. Republicans were allowed to replace Foley with state Rep. Joe Negron, but not to switch their names on the ballot. In other words, Foley's name would still appear, but a Foley victory would send Negron to Congress. There was much skepticism about this strategy: Would voters be sufficiently informed of this dynamic to cast their vote for a man whose scandal made headlines for weeks? On Election Day, the "Mark Foley" ballot line came within 1.8 percent of victory.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/9/4/1327244/-Non-candidate-candidates-What-happens-when-you-drop-out-but-stay-on-the-ballot

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Trump campaign says the UK will be offered a trade deal before the EU. As the US is the nation to which the UK exports the most this confirms Brexiteers should be rooting for a Trump win. Hillary would of course do a trade deal with the EU before the UK

Dan DiMicco said 'Britain was "a friend" of America and was leaving the EU for the right reasons.... Mr DiMicco said with the present Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) proposals "on hold", Britain would be at the front of the queue for any future trade deal once the UK has left the EU.
    His comments contrast with those of outgoing President Barack Obama, who - speaking before the UK's EU referendum in June - said Britain would go to the "back of the queue" for trade deals with the US if it left the EU.
    When asked if the US would do a deal with Britain ahead of the EU, Mr DiMicco told me: "Absolutely.
    "First off they are our friends, they have always supported us, and we've worked together, and they are leaving the EU in our estimation for the right reasons.
    "They have lost control of their economy, the job creation engine, so why shouldn't we be working with like-minded people before we do a deal with anybody else?"'

The liberal elites have clearly already decided that, the working class voters of Ohio may think rather different and the polls show it is still a close race.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

Slightly more shocking that a candidate for a 'major' party is barely able to write coherent English.

That Trump's behaviour is excused and explained by "filthy Hollywood culture"? I think your definition of "a point" needs looking at.
    No it is not saying that. It is saying that the left has brought about the situation where such behaviour is increasingly widespread.

[the singer Arpalice Taruscelli] "is a piece to perish in...I have fucked her twice a day for the last six..."

Hollywood to blame?
    Someone like Trump could have flaunted his vices as openly in Regency times as he can today. But, he probably couldn't have done 50 or 60 years ago.
    Given some of the stories out there about Lyndon Johnson and his johnson it's quite possible they just wouldn't have been reported.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    rcs1000 said:

I dont actually disagree with that

the UK has a massive adjustment to make and has been putting it off for 20 years. That's why growing faster then the EZ would be an achievement.

On the other hand we contol our own currency and have basically underinvested for decades so we have at least some pointers on where we can go.

Yes, Gross Capital Formation needs to move from 17% of GDP to 21-22%, funded by an increased savings rate.

The trick is to do it in a non painful way. I'm not confident we'll achieve it.

Worse, it is likely that Brexit will be blamed, because of the Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc fallacy.

"Blame" will be relative - if the remaining EU does worse than the UK, we will still be able to say we had a lucky escape...whilst having the luxury they don't, of booting out those politicians deemed to have failed.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

Hollywood to blame?
    My guess is this has been standard golf club bar talk since the beginning of time. It is repulsive, for sure, but as Macauley said there is “no sight more ridiculous than the British public in one of its periodic fits of morality", except - in this case - the American public.

I must say I never realised the trick was to take them furniture shopping.
    A lot of nineteenth century American visitors were horrified by the moral laxity of Victorian Britain.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    HYUFD said:

OK. By what measures do you expect the WWC to be in a better position in Wales and the North at the end of Mrs May's premiership?

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

Mostly it's the upper middle classes who are happy lining their own pockets and ignoring the impact on everyone else and the interfering " liberal classes " who seem to want to tell everyone else what to do and pass laws to make them do it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/07/we-voted-brexit-to-get-greater-freedom-not-to-have-yet-more-gove/

He seems rather concerned that Mrs. May does want to tell businesses how they should be run and will pass laws to make them do it. Well worth a read.

Also from the same paper is an article by an eminent oncologist that points to one of the possible benefits of leaving the iron hand of EU regulation. Again well worth a read, and I should be very interested to hear @FoxinSox's views on it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/07/brexit-means-we-can-revive-clinical-trials-killed-by-the-eu/
    Moore wanted a libertarian, free trade nirvana, he will get a more statist, protectionist nation. Tough. Most Leave voters voted for a tough line on immigration and against globalisation and the libertarian Leavers pandered to it, if they end up losing control of the train they unleashed they have only themselves to blame. I have zero sympathy. With the economy inevitably slowing down due to hard Brexit, the need for state subsidies to protect some manufacturing areas etc there will be no laissez-faire UK
    Yes, him Alistair Heath and Andrew Lilco seem surprised that Brexit isn't turning out the way they expected.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,012

It is starting to look as though that by voting LEAVE the less educated masses have made the more intelligent economic and social decision than the so called sophisticated urban intelligentsia who voted REMAIN.

Discuss.

* 10pm on the day of the polls: £1GBP=$1.5USD
    * Today: £1GBP=1.24USD

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,732
    Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

My main problem with certain remainers is the conviction leading them away from even questioning the means, the method or the mood music.

Happy to give away the keys to the shop in order to afford a few more Lattes every week and keep power away from those people who don't agree.

It's not really about lattes, honestly. A lot of us who voted Remain did so out of a conviction that those who would be most adversely affected by leaving the EU would be the ones who have already been most adversely affected by the forces of globalisation. And

The Tories as protectors of the White Working Class?

It does rather stretch belief when k record of interest.
    Which Tory PMs would they be then? Just Cameron with his neoliberalist Osbornite chumocracy. n creation....
    Mrs Thatcher is the obvious one, who brought in the Single Market, and smashed the traditional industries of the country, whether the Coal of Wales, the steel of the North East or the rag trade of Leicester.
    That will be the same Mrs Thatcher who's government subsidised the coal industry and who left office with manufacturing output at a then all time:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/economicoutputandproductivity/output/timeseries/k22a/diop

Now certainly some industries and some areas did struggle during Thatcher's government but that has always been the case - the UK coal industry had peak employment in 1914 and shipbuilding and textiles were in steep decline from the 1960s onwards.

But the 1980s and 1990s did have the opportunity for self-advancement for the average person that we haven't had during the last 15 years - home ownership is a good indicator of this.

Nor did the 1980s and 1990s have the gaping chasm between the average person and the 1% that exists now.
    yes all of that but Thatcher! Thatcher!
    Still deeply contaminating the Tory party in the North and in South Wales. Whether Mrs May can con them now will be interesting, but I think not. They are not idiots.
    The Tories have never been popular in the Valleys. But, the rest of Wales is undergoing a long term shift to them.

And much of the North is solidly Conservative.
    Certainly the rural north. North Yorkshire, Northumberland away from the urban south eastern bit, true blue like other Tory shires. It is only the Durham Dales that is red, thanks to being tied in to solidly Labour towns like Bishop Auckland. With the boundary changes that could change.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    GeoffM said:

Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you are trying to show, but If I do then this seems to fit:

n the fall of 2006, Republicans mounted the "Punch Foley for Negron" campaign in Florida's 16th district after a scandal broke about Rep. Mark Foley's e-mails to congressional pages. Republicans were allowed to replace Foley with state Rep. Joe Negron, but not to switch their names on the ballot. In other words, Foley's name would still appear, but a Foley victory would send Negron to Congress. There was much skepticism about this strategy: Would voters be sufficiently informed of this dynamic to cast their vote for a man whose scandal made headlines for weeks? On Election Day, the "Mark Foley" ballot line came within 1.8 percent of victory.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/9/4/1327244/-Non-candidate-candidates-What-happens-when-you-drop-out-but-stay-on-the-ballot

It almost worked in that case, the "Mark Foley" ballot lost only due to postal votes that where cast before the switch.

I'm confident that it would succeed in this case, the faster they do it the better.

Pence would sweep as the head of trumpism without Trump.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

An expert speaks.

Tosh

Daft sod.

An expert speaks.

OK then.

I am sure when Edinburgh gets the Olympics, the Glencoe massacre and the Clearances will be fully commemorated in the opening ceremony. (Actually they will, but they'll be blamed 100% on Thatcher).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

The liberal wing is dead for at least a decade, if May is deposed it will only be by a hardline Brexiteer if she is seen as too soft
    Liberalism needs to go away and have a good think about what liberalism really means now.

It should mean things like restraining the power of the state, stopping RIPA and the like, supporting the upkeep of due process in the law (eg not allowing double jeopardy), open access for justice (eg no secret family courts).

Instead it has come of late to stand for upholding a set of (in historical terms revolutionary and untried) social values and demonising anyone who objects to this to the extent of even attempting to suppress democracy and replace it with unelected supranational bureaucrats.

In the UK of all countries the Liberal party ought to be in the dominant position that the Tories are, supported by anyone with any intelligence. It has gone so badly wrong.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, you appear to be considering that someone (in this case, me and a few other PBers) holding a consistent opinion is some sort of vice, or weakness.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

Yes, it's quite funny really. The like of Moore and Carswell thought they were running things, with the UKIP knuckleheads and the lower orders merely as their unsuspecting enablers. Turns out they were the puppets all along.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Trump video statement 'I have never said I am a perfect person. I have said and done things I regret and the words released on this decade old video are one of them. I said it, I was wrong, I apologise. My travels have changed me. I spent time with grieving mothers who have lost their children, laid off workers whose jobs have gone to other countries and people from all walks of life who want a better future. I have gotten to know the great people of this country and will never, ever let you down.'
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/784609194234306560
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

The liberal elites have clearly already decided that, the working class voters of Ohio may think rather different and the polls show it is still a close race.
    We can argue about this as much as you like, but it wasn't a close race and it definitely won't be a close race with all the stuff that's come out and will come out.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

HYUFD said:

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

Yes, it's quite funny really. The like of Moore and Carswell thought they were running things, with the UKIP knuckleheads and the lower orders merely as their unsuspecting enablers. Turns out they were the puppets all along.
    It was obvious at the time that they were useful idiots. Pb's own EEA Leavers have been remarkably coy about exploring the consequences of their own votes.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Meanwhile, Michael Green is lining up with the metropolitan Tories:

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/784650524952039424
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Trump video statement 'I have never said I am a perfect person. I have said and done things I regret and the words released on this decade old videos are one of them. I said it, I was wrong, I apologise.My travels have changed me. I spent time with grieving mothers who have lost their children, laid off workers whose jobs have gone to other countries and people from all walks of life who want a better future. I have gotten to know the great people of this country and will never, ever let you down.'

At least he can genuinely say 'I did not have sexual relations with that woman'.
  • Options
    Anyhoo, now I'm here, perhaps you reprobates can make yourselves useful. I have opened a UK dollar account at my UK bank (much to the bemusement of said bank) and have transferred £500 into it. The transaction went thru at a rate of £1=$1.20ish. Whilst this is valuable due to ease of transfer it's an assumed 8-cent spread (buy at £1=$1.28, sell at £1=1.20, midpoint £1=1.24) and that's quite large. Ouch

So. Can anybody suggest a better way of transfering money from a sterling account to a dollar account? I tried Tramonex but they require a minimum amount traded of £250,000 pa and when they said that a little bit of poo came out.
  • Options
    E

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Liberalism needs to go away and have a good think about what liberalism really means now.

It should mean things like restraining the power of the state, stopping RIPA and the like, supporting the upkeep of due process in the law (eg not allowing double jeopardy), open access for justice (eg no secret family courts).

Instead it has come of late to stand for upholding a set of (in historical terms revolutionary and untried) social values and demonising anyone who objects to this to the extent of even attempting to suppress democracy and replace it with unelected supranational bureaucrats.

In the UK of all countries the Liberal party ought to be in the dominant position that the Tories are, supported by anyone with any intelligence. It has gone so badly wrong.
    Exactly, the liberal elites who have dominated the media, politics, the judiciary and even the top levels of business and finance for years are now finding the ordinary voters they have ignored for too long on immigration, low wages, outsourcing of jobs, dismissal of cultural values etc are now biting back, not just in the UK but in much of the West too. Until liberalism starts to reconnect with ordinary people it will not win a majority again any time soon!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

We can argue about this as much as you like, but it wasn't a close race and it definitely won't be a close race with all the stuff that's come out and will come out.
    If he does win dont buy the Guardian the next day. It will be liable to spontaneously combust in your bag, I fear a good few here will spontaneously combust too.

This US race gets ever more like this:

http://youtu.be/h8zf027VlA8
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    HYUFD said:

Trump video statement 'I have never said I am a perfect person. I have said and done things I regret and the words released on this decade old videos are one of them. I said it, I was wrong, I apologise.My travels have changed me. I spent time with grieving mothers who have lost their children, laid off workers whose jobs have gone to other countries and people from all walks of life who want a better future. I have gotten to know the great people of this country and will never, ever let you down.'

What will he say when the second and then the third and then the fourth video comes out ?

https://twitter.com/MarkHalperin/status/784630855784423424
    https://twitter.com/hughhewitt/status/784625510622134272
    https://twitter.com/hughhewitt/status/784625727446589440

Trump is finished, NBC has so many tapes of him they will bury him like Nixon.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

At least he can genuinely say 'I did not have sexual relations with that woman'.
    Exactly, Trump is no paragon of virtue but the Clinton campaign attacking him for lack of sexual morality is absurd given their history
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, you appear to be considering that someone (in this case, me and a few other PBers) holding a consistent opinion is some sort of vice, or weakness.

Pavlov certainly found it a useful characteristic.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    edited October 2016
    Speedy said:

GeoffM said:

Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

It almost worked in that case, the "Mark Foley" ballot lost only due to postal votes that where cast before the switch.

I'm confident that it would succeed in this case, the faster they do it the better.

Pence would sweep as the head of trumpism without Trump.
    I think you are right about Pence. I was amazed at Pence's comments about Trump. He might be setting himself up as the substitute.

I'm very long on Clinton but I have put a small saver on Pence at 130. EDIT now 140 but I'm happy to pay a small price for peace of mind.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

You think what you like, as so often you move from one side to another, from a Trump landslide to a Hillary landslide and back and back again without ever stopping in the middle. Trump's video statement looks reasonably effective to me given the circumstances and there will be more WikiLeaks to come. I am sticking to my long-held prediction that Hillary will win by less than 1% but we will find out on November 8th
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Anyhoo, now I'm here, perhaps you reprobates can make yourselves useful. I have opened a UK dollar account at my UK bank (much to the bemusement of said bank) and have transferred £500 into it. The transaction went thru at a rate of £1=$1.20ish. Whilst this is valuable due to ease of transfer it's an assumed 8-cent spread (buy at £1=$1.28, sell at £1=1.20, midpoint £1=1.24) and that's quite large. Ouch

So. Can anybody suggest a better way of transfering money from a sterling account to a dollar account? I tried Tramonex but they require a minimum amount traded of £250,000 pa and when they said that a little bit of poo came out.

Use an ATM at the airport that issues USD, take the money out from your GBP account, take the cash to the bank and deposit it in your USD account.
  • Options

An expert speaks.

Tosh

Daft sod.

An expert speaks.

OK then.

As far as I can tell, the more gruesome side of British history is very well documented and widely read. But, I think it a good thing if British people should feel good about themselves, rather than it being "dangerous". I feel that the Germans have almost been taught to hate themselves.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Meanwhile, Michael Green is lining up with the metropolitan Tories:

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/784650524952039424

Litening to Roland Rudd on R4 yesterday was rather amusing.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

What will he say when the second and then the third and then the fourth video comes out ?

Rubbish. He has made his statement end of, Trump's voters know what he was like, this will not change their views. However the WikiLeaks on Hillary are also only just beginning and will continue through to election day
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, there's nothing idiotic about rejecting the unaccountable and unelected having the power to impose laws upon us.

Mr. Divvie, you're confusing an opinion with a physiological response. If you'd like to present a counterpoint to my perspective on history, I'd be more than willing to consider your thoughts on the matter.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Use an ATM at the airport that issues USD, take the money out from your GBP account, take the cash to the bank and deposit it in your USD account.
    Good to know, but an ATM can't handle thousands of pounds
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly, Trump is no paragon of virtue but the Clinton campaign attacking him for lack of sexual morality is absurd given their history
    The next tapes won't be just about sex you know.
    The worst tape will be served last, just like the "smoking gun" in 1974.

And don't forget after the tapes there are even worse things that are ready to be thrown on Trump.

Nixon had 10 months to resign from the first time his lawyers recommended it before the "smoking gun" was found, Trump doesn't have 10 days.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

HYUFD said:

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

Yes, him Alistair Heath and Andrew Lilco seem surprised that Brexit isn't turning out the way they expected.
    As I doubt any of them ever mix socially with the majority of voters who won it for Leave, hardly surprising!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Ah, I assumed £500 was typical.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    viewcode said:

I haven't tried it but I hear good things about Transferwise.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

It is starting to look as though that by voting LEAVE the less educated masses have made the more intelligent economic and social decision than the so called sophisticated urban intelligentsia who voted REMAIN.

Discuss.

You say that like it's a bad thing...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,479

viewcode said:

I haven't tried it but I hear good things about Transferwise.
    I have a Euro account with Cater Allen and, whilst there is a spread, I don't think it is anything like that wide. They do other currencies also.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,833
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Rubbish. He has made his statement end of, Trump's voters know what he was like, this will not change their views. However the WikiLeaks on Hillary are also only just beginning and will continue through to election day
    Trump has, up until now, managed to lead the media on a merry dance for the last year.
    The roles are now reversed; he's finished.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

An expert speaks.

Tosh

Daft sod.

An expert speaks.

OK then.

I am sure when Edinburgh gets the Olympics, the Glencoe massacre and the Clearances will be fully commemorated in the opening ceremony. (Actually they will, but they'll be blamed 100% on Thatcher).
    'If there is anything that an Englishman detests more than to be reproached for want of virtue, it is to be reproached for said lack by a Scotchman.'

A fine, old quote, which I may have just made up.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited October 2016
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Trump has, up until now, managed to lead the media on a merry dance for the last year.
    This all rather reminds me of the hilltop crowing from remainers here for several days after the Obamagasm.

Those with little to lose want to hurt those with a lot to lose. Trump is tbeir grenade.

I also suspect his boorish behaviour will actually get him more votes in unexpected quarters (like the US equivalent of Staines) because some will see him as having street cred.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited October 2016
    We will so miss the EU national anthem...... Or perhaps not?

http://youtu.be/oWGZdYNpaSo
  • Options
    It's nice to see that a PB consensus has broken out between the Remainers and Hard Leavers: the free-trade Soft Leavers were witless dupes.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

This all rather reminds me of the hilltop crowing from remainers here for several days after the Obamagasm.
    it woz Obama wot won it for Leave
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I agree, if you mean that English law sums up liberal values: also no question of ID cards, no need for the state to grant us 'fundamental rights' because we already have them, etc.

But within the EU, Denmark has been stronger in its protests for individual liberty than the UK. For instance it opted out of the European Arrest Warrant.

However, ... a very big however - I think if elected governments of sovereign states decide to cooperate, pool sovereignty and eventually become part of a federal country, they're free to do so, like the first 13 US states did and over 150 years the other 37 followed (including one which follows French not English law; 'states' rights' is understood there, perhaps not by the EU.)

Federal countries devolve decisions to the lowest possible level. The word has nothing to do with centralisation; that's the way France is run.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

No amount of statements will prevent what is coming, and as a result no one has taken notice of Wikileaks and probably no one will.

There is an avalanche coming towards Trump, we can all see it, and Wikileaks can't stop the avalanche.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

Got it in one!
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

his statement is not the 'end of'. US intelligence agency have just said that most the wikileaks documents are russian forgerys, so pinning your hopes on that wont work
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

trumps core vote isnt enough to win.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,479
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

TBF those of liberal political views should never have joined the Tory party in the first place; it's another side effect of our voting system that ambitious liberals often choose either conservatism or socialism because the career prospects are so much better. Both lots are now unhappy trapped in parties that don't share their instincts, but they do at least have political jobs unlike most LibDems.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, there's nothing idiotic about rejecting the unaccountable and unelected having the power to impose laws upon us.

Mr. Divvie, you're confusing an opinion with a physiological response. If you'd like to present a counterpoint to my perspective on history, I'd be more than willing to consider your thoughts on the matter.

For me, Brexit was always about the politics, not the economics. Do you support the European Project - that is, the eventual creation of one nation called Europe, of which we should be a part? There's nothing dishonourable about thinking your country would be better off as part of a bigger nation, any more than it was dishonourable to think that your Gallic tribe would be better off as part of the Roman Empire. But, very few British politicians would make that case, because very few British people shared that vision. And, given that we don't share that vision, what is the point of remaining in political union with people who do share that vision? Either we have to go along with something we don't want, or we're endlessly fighting against it.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

No amount of statements will prevent what is coming, and as a result no one has taken notice of Wikileaks and probably no one will.

There is an avalanche coming towards Trump, we can all see it, and Wikileaks can't stop the avalanche.
    It is an avalanche for the liberal elites yes who will loathe Trump more than ever but it is not much different to what Bill Clinton has done. The average working class voter in Ohio or North Carolina are voting Trump warts and all because they are fed up with globalisation, outsourcing and low wages and too many immigrants, on that basis the latest WikiLeaks on Hillary's calls for 'open borders' and 'open trade' will be more damaging for her in the longer term whatever short term damage Trump suffers
  • Options
    619 said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

his statement is not the 'end of'. US intelligence agency have just said that most the wikileaks documents are russian forgerys, so pinning your hopes on that wont work
    Looking forward to the US intelligence agency confirming which are genuine... Maybe by mid-November?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Just for PB Geordies

https://youtu.be/Kg-vnxBvGBM
  • Options

HYUFD said:

but can he say 'I have never kissed a woman or grabbed a woman's pussy without her permission'?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    viewcode said:

Discuss.

Mainly driven by expectations of rising rates in the US and a reduction of rates in the UK. Not much to do with Brexit directly.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree, his video statement was actually quite effective, the liberal media think they have destroyed Trump, his supporters are likely to disagree. The reasons why the Trump phenomenon first appeared have not disappeared
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Anyway, I must be off.

My F1 pre-race piece is up here. I dislike 6am starts.

Edited extra bit: ahem, here's the link: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/japan-pre-race-2016.html
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And don't forget after the tapes there are even worse things that are ready to be thrown on Trump.

Nixon had 10 months to resign from the first time his lawyers recommended it before the "smoking gun" was found, Trump doesn't have 10 days.
    Trump has never held elected office, so no matter what they may have on him and his personal life they cannot compare to the further WikiLeaks on Hillary and her actions when she did hold elected office
  • Options
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Discuss.

Mainly driven by expectations of rising rates in the US and a reduction of rates in the UK. Not much to do with Brexit directly.
    oh dont spoil his day Charles - it was Brexit's fault , same as it caused that Hurricane in Haiti
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Try Thomas Exchange. https://www.thomasexchange.co.uk/ Excellent rates. Currently $ is 1.22 to £.

You can either pre-order on-line and pick it up, or have it sent to you by courier for a small fee. I bought £20K of Euros in four batches of £5K at 1.41 to £ about a year ago. Paid by debit card. I put it in an AIB bank in Ireland and I draw it out of ATMs when I'm on holiday in the eurozone.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

He made a better job of it than Danny Alexander did:

https://youtu.be/VnT7pT6zCcA
  • Options

Moses_ said:

He made a better job of it than Danny Alexander did:

https://youtu.be/VnT7pT6zCcA
    I always wondered what happened to him...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Trump has never held elected office, so no matter what they may have on him and his personal life they cannot compare to the further WikiLeaks on Hillary and her actions when she did hold elected office
    so if they have a tape of him calling a black person a n*****, he will be ok with that?
  • Options
    619 said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Well they would say that, wouldn't they.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    HYUFD said:

I disagree, his video statement was actually quite effective, the liberal media think they have destroyed Trump, his supporters are likely to disagree. The reasons why the Trump phenomenon first appeared have not disappeared

The reasons have not disappeared, but Trump has.

People would probably vote for the policies of Trump, but never vote for Trump himself.
    Trump is actually now an obstacle towards Trumpism.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

It is an avalanche for the liberal elites yes who will loathe Trump more than ever but it is not much different to what Bill Clinton has done. The average working class voter in Ohio or North Carolina are voting Trump warts and all because they are fed up with globalisation, outsourcing and low wages and too many immigrants, on that basis the latest WikiLeaks on Hillary's calls for 'open borders' and 'open trade' will be more damaging for her in the longer term whatever short term damage Trump suffers
    a) he wasnt winning anyway.
    b) he had 45% of women roughly? after pussygate, it will be 25-30%. Doesnt matter how he does with WWC with no degrees.
  • Options
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Discuss.

Actually, I think it 's driven by the reason that Robert Smithson gave - a big current account deficit. Which would be case inside or outside the EU. Brexit simply brought it to a head.
  • Options
    619 said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

a) he wasnt winning anyway.
    b) he had 45% of women roughly? after pussygate, it will be 25-30%. Doesnt matter how he does with WWC with no degrees.
    a) No but he is almost as close to Hillary as Leave was to Remain
    b) We will see, he will still have a big lead with men and I would also not be too surprised he keeps the support of a fair few wwc women too
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

The reasons have not disappeared, but Trump has.

People would probably vote for the policies of Trump, but never vote for Trump himself.
    Trump is actually now an obstacle towards Trumpism.
    Trump voters are angry and Trump has captured that anger which was why he won the primaries in the first place, it has not gone away
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Discuss.

Actually, I think it 's driven by the reason that Robert Smithson gave - a big current account deficit. Which would be case inside or outside the EU. Brexit simply brought it to a head.
    When the wave of inflation (5%+) from more expensive imports hits us over the next few months, it is very likely that interest rates will have to go up, possibly sharply, which will strengthen sterling (and bugger exports).
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''It's nice to see that a PB consensus has broken out between the Remainers and Hard Leavers: the free-trade Soft Leavers were witless dupes.''

Maybe, but I wouldn;t count on May getting some of the illberal stuff past her party. She is a friendless opportunist.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    No YouGov voting intention poll this week?
  • Options
    619 said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

If a higher than expected wwc vote is combined with a higher black vote for Trump than Romney (which Rasmussen has shown) it could be
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

TBF those of liberal political views should never have joined the Tory party in the first place; it's another side effect of our voting system that ambitious liberals often choose either conservatism or socialism because the career prospects are so much better. Both lots are now unhappy trapped in parties that don't share their instincts, but they do at least have political jobs unlike most LibDems.
    Indeed, they have now found that the Conservative Party wants to be conservative and the Labour Party wants to be socialist and they are left without a home other than the Liberal Party which unsurprisingly remains liberal
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I really don't get this discussion. May may or not turn out to be more right wing than Cameron on Brexit and immigration. But on all other things so far she seems to be very much a one-nation Tory parked firmly astride the centre line - more so than Cameron who basically only gave it lip service.

Defining someone as liberal or not based on their position on either Brexit (what has that per se got to do with liberalism?) or immigration (which deals with liberalism only in relation to foreigners, not citizens) seems rather idiotic. I am much more interested in their liberalism as it pertains to domestic issues, and there, be it social issues or the economy, at her word (too early to judge on her actions) May seems to the left of Cameron.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

An expert speaks.

Tosh

Daft sod.

An expert speaks.

OK then.

As far as I can tell, the more gruesome side of British history is very well documented and widely read. But, I think it a good thing if British people should feel good about themselves, rather than it being "dangerous". I feel that the Germans have almost been taught to hate themselves.
    People should read the 'good' history as well as the 'bad' history.
    As an example most Britons have heard of the Spanish Armada of 1588.
    Why? Cos we won!
    Very few have heard of the English Armada of the following year and what occurred.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920

HYUFD said:

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

It was obvious at the time that they were useful idiots. Pb's own EEA Leavers have been remarkably coy about exploring the consequences of their own votes.
    Charles said:

Do you really think that?
  • Options
    I'm increasingly coming to the view that Merkels only chance of forming a government is to let the CSU stand against her.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I'm not sure bringing the conversation around to sexism is the right strategy for the Clinton campaign.

Given the Clintons' record with some women, it could be a serious error.

Some people only talk about grabbing p8ssy. Others actually do it.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

An expert speaks.

Tosh

Daft sod.

An expert speaks.

OK then.

Why? Cos we won!
    Very few have heard of the English Armada of the following year and what occurred.
    Thanks for the English Armada. Never heard of it, and I quite like history. It is true, I left school, having learnt of all the wonderful English and later British victories, and wondering why the British Empire was as small as it was - how did we get from peak Empire to modern Britain? None of that was taught at school.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I'm not sure bringing the conversation around to sexism is the right strategy for the Clinton campaign.

Given the Clintons' record with some women, it could be a serious error.

Some people only talk about grabbing p8ssy. Others actually do it.

according to the lawsuit filed last year from one of his employees, trump definitely grabbed pussy. and is as much of an adulterer as bill.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071

Sean_F said:

An expert speaks.

Tosh

Daft sod.

An expert speaks.

OK then.

Why? Cos we won!
    Just looked it up. We lost. About the only defeat we celebtate is Dunkirk, badsically because we managed to turn the salvage operation into a vistory.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

619 said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

If a higher than expected wwc vote is combined with a higher black vote for Trump than Romney (which Rasmussen has shown) it could be
    he probably shouldnt have banged on about birtherism for 8 years or said yesterday that the central park 5 were still guilty.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited October 2016
    Scott Adams weighs in

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/151504993671/why-does-this-happen-on-my-vacation-the-trump

"I’ll give you my thoughts, in no particular order.

1. If this were anyone else, the election would be over. But keep in mind that Trump doesn’t need to outrun the bear. He only needs to outrun his camping buddy. There is still plenty of time for him to dismantle Clinton. If you think things are interesting now, just wait. There is lots more entertainment coming.

2. This was not a Trump leak. No one would invite this sort of problem into a marriage.

3. I assume that publication of this recording was okayed by the Clinton campaign. And if not, the public will assume so anyway. That opens the door for Trump to attack in a proportionate way. No more mister-nice-guy. Gloves are off. Nothing is out of bounds. It is fair to assume that Bill and Hillary are about to experience the worst weeks of their lives.

4. If nothing new happens between now and election day, Clinton wins. The odds of nothing new happening in that timeframe is exactly zero...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    The most laughable thing about Trump's latest gaffe is that people are claiming they are shocked by it. It has been widely known for a long, long time that Donald Trump is a misogynist boor. Next up people shocked that the Pope is Catholic.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

An expert speaks.

Tosh

Daft sod.

An expert speaks.

OK then.

Why? Cos we won!
    Just looked it up. We lost. About the only defeat we celebtate is Dunkirk, badsically because we managed to turn the salvage operation into a vistory.
    You've not been to the street parties celebrating Singapore day?

At least our officer cadets are required to study it.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Discuss.

When the wave of inflation (5%+) from more expensive imports hits us over the next few months, it is very likely that interest rates will have to go up, possibly sharply, which will strengthen sterling (and bugger exports).
    There's no reason to expect inflation to hit 5%+ in coming months.
  • Options
    619 said:

HYUFD said:

619 said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

he probably shouldnt have banged on about birtherism for 8 years or said yesterday that the central park 5 were still guilty.
    The few black voters who may vote for him may have liked Obama but have no time for Hillary and are concerned about crime
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Discuss.

There's no reason to expect inflation to hit 5%+ in coming months.
    There's very little reason to expect it to hit the target of 2% but it would be good if it did.
This discussion has been closed.