Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to the new gerontocracy

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

My main problem with certain remainers is the conviction leading them away from even questioning the means, the method or the mood music.

Happy to give away the keys to the shop in order to afford a few more Lattes every week and keep power away from those people who don't agree.

It's not really about lattes, honestly. A lot of us who voted Remain did so out of a conviction that those who would be most adversely affected by leaving the EU would be the ones who have already been most adversely affected by the forces of globalisation. And in leaving what extra power do they have? The government will still be formed by the party best able to put together a coalition of 35% of the voters, and those who control all the levers of the state are not going to change either.

The Tories as protectors of the White Working Class?

It does rather stretch belief when our current gerontocratic PM and Chancellor have such a Damscene conversion after decades of being willing tools of Tory PMs who have a poor track record of interest.
    Which Tory PMs would they be then? Just Cameron with his neoliberalist Osbornite chumocracy. I get the feeling May and Hammond bridled under that. A lot. But they have the last laugh as Cameron exited stage left, followed by the spectre of a bear of his own creation....
    Mrs Thatcher is the obvious one, who brought in the Single Market, and smashed the traditional industries of the country, whether the Coal of Wales, the steel of the North East or the rag trade of Leicester.
    I think you mean "recognised that they were doomed and tried to move on from them". Or have you forgotten that manufacturing suffered more both before and after her time than during it?
    "Recognised that they were doomed and tried to move on"

It doesn't sound like what the Brexit vote was for.
    It precisely does if you think the 'they' is unrestrained neo-liberalism.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

@SouthamObserver Again that's brilliantly point. After a life time with my political views being in the 48.1% is vastly more mainstream than I've ever been ! coming.

me.

My main problem with certain remainers is the conviction leading them away from even questioning the means, the method or the mood music.

Happy to give away the keys to the shop in order to afford a few more Lattes every week and keep power away from those people who don't agree.

It's are not going to change either.

I know it wouldn't be your intention SO.

Control is a very potent theme; but it is more than that, control is the means by which those without economic power seek to better their lot and rediscover their pride.

No, I don't see how it is pat5% or so of voters in the most efficient way.
    It sounds patronising and self interested because it aligns with the social bias and economic interests of the metropolitan elite who also have a monopoly on power (albeit in varying shades of governing party).

It says 'this awful situation you're in is the best you're going to get' - meanwhile the 1% continue to enrich themselves and force upon the same struggling groups liberal social policy that often sticks in the craw.

No, it doesn't say that - that's what you want it to say. It's actually saying that the elite in this country is totally embedded and will not change one iota as a result of the referendum. And it is saying that those who will be most adversely affected by Leave are those who have been mostly adversely affected by globalisation.

It's too early to say.

The monied elite will always be there certainly but they've just had their first decent kick in the balls for half a century.
    Wilson?

I'd make it Attlee.....and nearly three quarters of a century.....
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880

Scott_P said:

So it's her fault we voted to LEAVE, not say, Cameron's botched renegotiation, or Labour's far from convincing support for Remain?

Glad we cleared that up.....

It was her choice to interpret the vote as a mandate for the HARDEST Brexit possible, with added Xenophobia on top
    The Ashcroft poll showed that people voted to LEAVE because of 1) Sovereignty and 2) Immigration. Which is exactly what May set out in her speech.

Leaving the EU was thought more likely to bring about a better immigration system, improved border controls, a fairer welfare system, better quality of life, and the ability to control our own laws

Sorry, this false dichotomy between 'Soft' and 'Hard' Brexit is really about 'staying in' vs 'coming out' - and the people voted to 'come out'.
    Somehow, May needs rid of Carney and to control Hammond. 'The enemy within' isn't a bad discription. Carney and other recent appointees are more loyal to 'the international system' than they are to Britain's interests. That much is abundantly clear. The problem (one amongst many) would be that sacking him would undermine confidence and he would relish his role talking down our economy.

Perhaps the best thing would be to change the make up of the MPC so Carney was out-voted.
    The new McCarthyism. Right here, folks.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

It's not really about lattes, honestly. A lot of us who voted Remain did so out of a conviction that those who would be most adversely affected by leaving the EU would be the ones who have already been most adversely affected by the forces of globalisation. And in leaving what extra power do they have? The government will still be formed by the party best able to put together a coalition of 35% of the voters, and those who control all the levers of the state are not going to change either.

It does rather stretch belief when our current gerontocratic PM and Chancellor have such a Damscene conversion after decades of being willing tools of Tory PMs who have a poor track record of interest.
    Which Tory PMs would they be then? Just Cameron with his neoliberalist Osbornite chumocracy. I get the feeling May and Hammond bridled under that. A lot. But they have the last laugh as Cameron exited stage left, followed by the spectre of a bear of his own creation....
    Mrs Thatcher is the obvious one, who brought in the Single Market, and smashed the traditional industries of the country, whether the Coal of Wales, the steel of the North East or the rag trade of Leicester.
    I think you mean "recognised that they were doomed and tried to move on from them". Or have you forgotten that manufacturing suffered more both before and after her time than during it?
    "Recognised that they were doomed and tried to move on"

It doesn't sound like what the Brexit vote was for.
    No, that's absolutely what it was. Recognising that the EU is doomed to a path that we have no interest in following, and moving on before it's too late.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited October 2016
    Sigh. I see we are back to hard line remoaners baiting everybody with circular Brexit arguments - a subject we cant even bet on at the moment I suspect.

Boring

No one likes us we dont care.

The video below is a metaphor for what the people of Britain did on June 23rd.

https://youtu.be/lrShn8PeTz8
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

That was the claim during the referendum; But the voters don't want immigration. It's not that they don't want Polish immigration. They don't want immigration.

And if you don't want your domestic government overruled by a court in Luxembourg, you're probably not going to be keen on Investor-State Dispute Settlement courts either.

Everything coming out of the Conservative conference speeches says Sakoku, and nothing says Globalism.

I think only a very small number want no immigration. A much larger proportion of the population - quite possibly a sizeable majority - just wanted SOMEBODY to show they were listening to their concerns.

Concerns about the nature of their communities changing, without ever being asked their views. The absence of democratic input. Further, without any admission this change was going to happen (despite it being very clear that the Labour Govt. 1997/2010 was determined to change the nature of these communities - possibly for some high falutin' notion of multiculturalism being the right thing to do, possibly for some base political advantage). And to be fair, the Coalition and then the Cameron Tory majority Govt. carried on as before, their Budget assumptions requiring large scale migration to keep the economy growing.

So schools got overcrowded, housing spiralled in cost (both owned and rented) and the NHS creaked at the seams. Just-about-at-breaking-point has become the default budget setting for normal in our public services. All this happened whilst Labour refused to acknowledge the scale of the financial claims this increased population would make on the Exchequer. The Tories at least made pledges on increasing NHS spending that Labour wouldn't make. But education and housing are still deeply problematic.

Theresa May is now cast as the SOMEBODY who has to listen. Her first Conference suggests she has. Her second and especially her third, when the Brexit negotiations will be largely formed, will tell us much more.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Now this could be awkward.

Daily News
    How can any black or Muslim voter still support Hillary after this bigotry and racism? #PodestaEmails #TrumpTapes #WikiLeaks https://t.co/jt3XXoBs4I
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

That will be the same Mrs Thatcher who's government subsidised the coal industry and who left office with manufacturing output at a then all time:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/economicoutputandproductivity/output/timeseries/k22a/diop

Now certainly some industries and some areas did struggle during Thatcher's government but that has always been the case - the UK coal industry had peak employment in 1914 and shipbuilding and textiles were in steep decline from the 1960s onwards.

But the 1980s and 1990s did have the opportunity for self-advancement for the average person that we haven't had during the last 15 years - home ownership is a good indicator of this.

Nor did the 1980s and 1990s have the gaping chasm between the average person and the 1% that exists now.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    PlatoSaid said:

Daily News
    How can any black or Muslim voter still support Hillary after this bigotry and racism? #PodestaEmails #TrumpTapes #WikiLeaks https://t.co/jt3XXoBs4I

I don't think so.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

That will be the same Mrs Thatcher who's government subsidised the coal industry and who left office with manufacturing output at a then all time:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/economicoutputandproductivity/output/timeseries/k22a/diop

Now certainly some industries and some areas did struggle during Thatcher's government but that has always been the case - the UK coal industry had peak employment in 1914 and shipbuilding and textiles were in steep decline from the 1960s onwards.

But the 1980s and 1990s did have the opportunity for self-advancement for the average person that we haven't had during the last 15 years - home ownership is a good indicator of this.

Nor did the 1980s and 1990s have the gaping chasm between the average person and the 1% that exists now.
    yes all of that but Thatcher! Thatcher!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

So it's her fault we voted to LEAVE, not say, Cameron's botched renegotiation, or Labour's far from convincing support for Remain?

Glad we cleared that up.....

It was her choice to interpret the vote as a mandate for the HARDEST Brexit possible, with added Xenophobia on top
    The Ashcroft poll showed that people voted to LEAVE because of 1) Sovereignty and 2) Immigration. Which is exactly what May set out in her speech.

Leaving the EU was thought more likely to bring about a better immigration system, improved border controls, a fairer welfare system, better quality of life, and the ability to control our own laws

Sorry, this false dichotomy between 'Soft' and 'Hard' Brexit is really about 'staying in' vs 'coming out' - and the people voted to 'come out'.
    May needs rid of Carney and to control Hammond..
    Actually, I think they're both fine.

May needs Hammond because she needs someone to stand up to her - being of fairly similar temperaments I suspect they get on well - have a fair old ding dong, but remain friends - Boris will forever be seen through the eyes of a plotting successor....

Carney is the face of 'continuity' and if he erred on the side of excess caution in the aftermath of the vote I'm sure it will be sorted out shortly.....
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2016
    619 said:

The WAPO story on the Trump tape.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-caller-had-a-lewd-tape-of-donald-trump-then-the-race-was-on/2016/10/07/31d74714-8ce5-11e6-875e-2c1bfe943b66_story.html?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_trumptape-link1:homepage/story

Having listened to the tape, its the sort of thing insecure braggarts say and have said down the ages......so nothing new there then......I suspect a lot of this is priced in - tho the GOP in full pearl clutching mode is a vision to behold....what may be more damaging is his response.....classic 'look squirrel'......hasn't exactly got 'rising above it' written all over it.....

depends if he actually did what he said. I suspect there will be some people coming out to say how he did what he said he would very soon...
    They already said it before. It just didn't get reported much. Search on "Jill Harth". Here's what she filed in court in 1997:

"On or about December 12th, 1992, at a subsequent business/dinner meeting at the Plaza Hotel, to discuss the newly-formed venture between American Dream Festival, the defendant Trump repeatedly put his hands on plaintiff's thighs and violated plaintiff's 'physical and mental integrity' by attempting to touch plaintiff's intimate private parts in violation of plaintiff's fundamental constitutional right to privacy and physical autonomy as a citizen of the United States."

She also describes a scene in which Trump took her into one of his children’s bedrooms at Mar-a-Lago, threw her against the wall, began touching her all over, and lifted up her dress. That was when her partner was in the next room.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited October 2016

Sigh. I see we are back to hard line remoaners baiting everybody with circular Brexit arguments - a subject we cant even bet on at the moment I suspect.

Boring

The video below is a metaphor for our Brexit decision.

To go back to the header, it is a Gerontocracy. Not so much of our leaders as our voters, both here and in the USA.

It is the older whiter babyboomers who are the Trumpsters, and here the Leavers. The youngsters are the "metropolitan elite" that they rail against. Better educated, more urban, comfortable living alongside people from other countries, and as likely to go for a stag weekend in Prague as anywhere. In other words socially liberal.
  • Options

Boring

To go back to the header, it is a Gerontocracy. Not so much of our leaders as our voters, both here and in the USA.

It is the older whiter babyboomers who are the Trumpsters, and here the Leavers. The youngsters are the "metropolitan elite" that they rail against. Better educated, more urban, comfortable living alongside people from other countries, and as likely to go for a stag weekend in Prague as anywhere.
    ROFL

you forgot self-righteous boring prats who havent actually done anything much with their youth.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Daily News

Because the alternative is Trump?

Oh, and is this one real or fake?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Still deeply contaminating the Tory party in the North and in South Wales. Whether Mrs May can con them now will be interesting, but I think not. They are not idiots.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Barnesian said:

PlatoSaid said:

Daily News

I don't think so.
    yeah thats an obvious forgery. Nice try though
  • Options

Boring

It is the older whiter babyboomers who are the Trumpsters, and here the Leavers. The youngsters are the "metropolitan elite" that they rail against. Better educated, more urban, comfortable living alongside people from other countries, and as likely to go for a stag weekend in Prague as anywhere.
    ROFL

you forgot self-righteous boring prats who havent actually done anything much with their youth.

Shhhh!

The Camerooons are still fragile - you should have given them a safe space warning.....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798
    I think the debate will move on a bit. It will be between isolationists and globalists. While Brexit is a victory for isolationism, it hasn't resolved the issue. New battles will be over immigration policy, whether to establish a relationship with the EU Army, whether to join EU standards programmes etc. There will be some who voted Leave who will be ardent globalists and vice versa. Equally the debate won't be confined to the UK. The isolationism versus globalisation fight is raging just about everywhere in the developed world.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Which Tory PMs would they be then? Just Cameron with his neolibeast or the rag trade of Leicester.

Now certainly some industries and some areas did struggle dgood indicator of this.

Still deeply contaminating the Tory party in the North and in South Wales. Whether Mrs May can con them now will be interesting, but I think not. They are not idiots.
    Oh get real Doc.

voting patterns in the North and Wales have been like that for a century. Voting patterns in the UK have been the celtic fringe and the North versus the Midlands and South for most of that period.

The shift if there is one in Wales and the North isnt away from the Tories but away from Labour to other other parties.
  • Options

If she follows her conference vision, and she will, she will become extremely popular - so how can it be described as a 'con'
  • Options
    AFP
    #BREAKING Morocco's ruling Islamists win parliamentary elections
  • Options
    BREAKING NEWS: German town on lockdown as armed police hunt man suspected of planning a bomb attack
    Heavily-armed officers are surrounding a home in the town of Chemnitz
    Police force - Polizei Sachsen - said they are dealing with a 'static threat'
    They have tweeted to say they would not speculate on circling rumours
    Speculation they elude to is people have been taken hostage by gunman
  • Options

BREAKING NEWS: German town on lockdown as armed police hunt man suspected of planning a bomb attack

Dear old Karl Marx Stadt.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Ohio now 58% chance for Hillary, Florida now 68.9% chance according to 538
    Overall 81.8% chance of being elected.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Boring

It is the older whiter babyboomers who are the Trumpsters, and here the Leavers. The youngsters are the "metropolitan elite" that they rail against. Better educated, more urban, comfortable living alongside people from other countries, and as likely to go for a stag weekend in Prague as anywhere. In other words socially liberal.
    Your stereotyping of age groups I find deeply unsettling. Stereotyping has long been seen as a very unhealthy trait and is relation to most demographic factors is socially unacceptable in this day and age if not downright illegal. It is also stupid.

We see on this board every day that there is a mix of attitudes amongst those richer in years towards the EU and just about every other political topic. As for the youngsters, well my son spent most of his summer holiday with an inter-rail ticket travelling around Europe but he and all the students he shared a house with last year were ardently for leaving the EU.

Please can we avoid lazy stereotypes and other prejudices.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Daily News

Because the alternative is Trump?

Oh, and is this one real or fake?
    the wikileaks dump is a damp squib: US intelligence saying russia is using them to distribuite forgeries means u cant trust anything they leak, and pussygate is the bigger story
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    @Alanbrooke and other Mayflies

OK. By what measures do you expect the WWC to be in a better position in Wales and the North at the end of Mrs May's premiership?

A better Gini co-efficient?

Increased employment?

Increased participation in higher education?

Re-establishment of manufacturing industry?

Or some other measure?

Set the parameters and we will see.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

But haven't we been told that they ARE idiots by voting for Leave ?

And its the industrial areas of the North and Wales (and Midlands) which have swung rightwards during the last decade - Gower and Morley and Telford and Sherwood being examples.

It is the urban middle classes where the Conservatives have gone backwards.

What May is now doing, by accident or design, is swimming with that tide. Whereas the Cameroons were swimming against it.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,008

Good points, but the trick is to look at the geographical distribution. The benefits and costs were not evenly distributed. The areas that hated Thatcher and those that loved her did so for legitimate reasons.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    FF43 said:

I think the debate will move on a bit. It will be between isolationists and globalists. While Brexit is a victory for isolationism, it hasn't resolved the issue. New battles will be over immigration policy, whether to establish a relationship with the EU Army, whether to join EU standards programmes etc. There will be some who voted Leave who will be ardent globalists and vice versa. Equally the debate won't be confined to the UK. The isolationism versus globalisation fight is raging just about everywhere in the developed world.

Brexit a victory for "isolationism"? Is it bollocks. The UK was "isolated" by having to live with whatever position the EU wanted us to take with regard to trading with other nations. The door of that particular "isolationism" has now been smashed down...
  • Options

Boring

ROFL

Shhhh!

The Camerooons are still fragile - you should have given them a safe space warning.....
    They seemed fine with f*cking a pig's head, I don't think they're that fragile.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited October 2016

If she follows her conference vision, and she will, she will become extremely popular - so how can it be described as a 'con'

Thatchers mistake wasnt to close down those industries it was to badly manage the closures , ie do it too hastily, leaving a ten year gap between them closing and any replacement employment appearing.

The losses while significant were not so huge in the scheme of things that closure couldnt have been spread out over a longer period.

Same as with the railways in the sixties. While there were plenty of basket case lines, the governments remit to make the railways pay virtually overnight meant a lot of marginal lines which would be viable now and are badly needed went.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072

There are a couple of things that need to be remembered to avoid falling into the post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy.

Firstly, the trends you identify have happened almost everywhere in the world, from countries with minimal immigration, and who have resisted globalisation (Japan), to the US and the UK.

Those who have avoided it have been those blessed with massive mineral wealth at a time when commodity prices were booming (Australian and Canada), and those whose education systems did the best job of training the next 75% (Germany and Switzerland).

Secondly, the 80s and 90s might have seen the well being of many improve, but it came on the back of a big drawdawn of the wealth of the UK. In the early 1980s, the UK was in credit with the rest of the world to the tune of about 60 to 70% of GDP. So, every year, money from overseas assets flowed into the UK economy. The massive explosion in consumer debt and the decline of the savings rate meant that we've gone from being in credit to the rest of the world, to being severely in debt. And our big current account deficit (close to 7% of GDP in the first half of the year) means this gets worse every year. To close this gap is going to require genuine austerity at some point.
  • Options

One of those old failing industrial towns

Thatcher closed all the factories you know.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

The soaring pound in the first few years of Mrs Thatcher's premiership probably closed more factories than her policies*.

* A salutary reminder that devaluing the currency is in the hands of the market, not the government.
  • Options

Boring

Your stereotyping of age groups I find deeply unsettling. Stereotyping has long been seen as a very unhealthy trait and is relation to most demographic factors is socially unacceptable in this day and age if not downright illegal. It is also stupid.

We see on this board every day that there is a mix of attitudes amongst those richer in years towards the EU and just about every other political topic. As for the youngsters, well my son spent most of his summer holiday with an inter-rail ticket travelling around Europe but he and all the students he shared a house with last year were ardently for leaving the EU.

On both sides there were exceptions, but Leavers were older, less skilled, more provincial than those voting Remain (in England and Wales). It was the old folk wot won it.
  • Options
    The Kipper-Trump nexus continues.

https://twitter.com/RaheemKassam/status/784560940587048960

Slightly more shocking that a candidate for a 'major' party is barely able to write coherent English.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The soaring pound in the first few years of Mrs Thatcher's premiership probably closed more factories than her policies*.

* A salutary reminder that devaluing the currency is in the hands of the market, not the government.
    Her mistake was, faced with a soaring pound due to the one off situation of north sea oil coming on line just after the Iranian revolution throttled world oil supplies, to implement economic darwinism at just the wrong time - the one time when state aid really was needed to help manufacturers through the rising petropound making their products more expensive.
  • Options

OK. By what measures do you expect the WWC to be in a better position in Wales and the North at the end of Mrs May's premiership?

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

well it goes back to the position who is she protecting them from ?

Mostly it's the upper middle classes who are happy lining their own pockets and ignoring the impact on everyone else and the interfering " liberal classes " who seem to want to tell everyone else what to do and pass laws to make them do it.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

The pound soaring did a lot of damage to manufacturing in the Midlands and the North, but was in large part down to the anti-inflationary monetary policy of the Thatcher government.
  • Options

Slightly more shocking that a candidate for a 'major' party is barely able to write coherent English.

He has got a point though.
  • Options

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

Mostly it's the upper middle classes who are happy lining their own pockets and ignoring the impact on everyone else and the interfering " liberal classes " who seem to want to tell everyone else what to do and pass laws to make them do it.

So you are not willing to set some criteria as to improving the lot of distressed areas?

• Options

Boring

On both sides there were exceptions, but Leavers were older, less skilled, more provincial than those voting Remain (in England and Wales). It was the old folk wot won it.
    chortle

you make the Leavers sound like a minority.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,008

Brexit a victory for "isolationism"? Is it bollocks...

What you want it to be, and what it will turn out to be, are two different things.

• Options

it pushed sexual liberation, not sexual assault
  • Options

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

So you are not willing to set some criteria as to improving the lot of distressed areas?

well I dont actually run the government. But if youre asking me what do I think progress would look like it would be

- GDP grows faster than the Eurozone
    - a more even distribution of income across the UK
    - higher home ownership through more affordable homes

That's already enough for 10 years.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

That Trump's behaviour is excused and explained by "filthy Hollywood culture"? I think your definition of "a point" needs looking at.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

Have you seen Charles Moore's article in today's Telegraph, Mr. Brooke?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/07/we-voted-brexit-to-get-greater-freedom-not-to-have-yet-more-gove/

He seems rather concerned that Mrs. May does want to tell businesses how they should be run and will pass laws to make them do it. Well worth a read.

Also from the same paper is an article by an eminent oncologist that points to one of the possible benefits of leaving the iron hand of EU regulation. Again well worth a read, and I should be very interested to hear @FoxinSox's views on it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/07/brexit-means-we-can-revive-clinical-trials-killed-by-the-eu/
  • Options

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/07/we-voted-brexit-to-get-greater-freedom-not-to-have-yet-more-gove/

He seems rather concerned that Mrs. May does want to tell businesses how they should be run and will pass laws to make them do it. Well worth a read.

Also from the same paper is an article by an eminent oncologist that points to one of the possible benefits of leaving the iron hand of EU regulation. Again well worth a read, and I should be very interested to hear @FoxinSox's views on it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/07/brexit-means-we-can-revive-clinical-trials-killed-by-the-eu/
    LOL at the first url truncating "yet more government" like that.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Oborne:

"For all these reasons I strongly believe Mrs May will be obliged to call a general election well before the five years are up. Judging from his decision a fortnight ago to place Labour on an election footing, Jeremy Corbyn agrees with me.
    I doubt an election is imminent, but next spring would be the natural moment for Mrs May to seek an endorsement from the British people."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3828015/PETER-OBORNE-Don-t-coward-like-Brown-Mrs-call-election.html#ixzz4MTlWBJou

Oborne appears to have forgotten the precedents of Callaghan - Douglas Home - Macmillan - Chamberlain.
  • Options

Oborne:

"For all these reasons I strongly believe Mrs May will be obliged to call a general election well before the five years are up. Judging from his decision a fortnight ago to place Labour on an election footing, Jeremy Corbyn agrees with me.
    I doubt an election is imminent, but next spring would be the natural moment for Mrs May to seek an endorsement from the British people."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3828015/PETER-OBORNE-Don-t-coward-like-Brown-Mrs-call-election.html#ixzz4MTlWBJou

Why wait until 2017 and then call an election just before the new boundaries go through?

A snap election in 2016 could have made sense, a snap election once the boundaries are confirmed in 2018 could make sense.

An election in 2017 would be the worst of all worlds, lost the honeymoon and losing the boundary changes. Dumb, dumb, dumb so it won't happen.
    You are assuming the boundary changes will be confirmed. Many Tories are not expecting that!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    It's not too late for Trump to be replaced as the Republican candidate.

In the 2002 US Senate election in New Jersey, sitting Democratic senator Robert Torricelli dropped out of the race after scandals caused his performance in polls to go through the floor. The Democrats chose Frank Lautenberg as his replacement, but to get him onto the ballots they had to go to the state Supreme Court. They won the case, and 34 days before the election the court allowed new ballots to be printed, carrying Lautenberg's name instead of Torricelli's.

In the 1992 election in New York state to the US House of Representatives, sitting congressmen Theodore Weiss died on 14 September. The Democrats chose Jerrold Nadler as his replacement, and took a "vote Weiss to elect Nadler" approach, which was successful.
  • Options

Boring

chortle

They may well be, but are certainly in majority in voting, hence our gerontocracy.
  • Options

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

I havent seen it but I will say we've let ourselves be guiled by Mammon. There's nothing wrong with giving business a kick up the arse every so often. Money isnt the sole arbiter of life imo.

The eventual outcome of capitailsm is oligolpoly\monopoly which clealy isnt in the voters interest. Currently we see this though corporatism. Their tax affairs are a good example of what happens if you let them do what they want. Occasionally the pieces just all need to be broken up.
  • Options

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

Drug trials in oncology are almost all multinational nowadays, and in order to get a product licence in the major markets (USA and EU) will have to meet the critera for those countries.

There certainly has been a lot more regulation of research over the years, and innovation is often strangled by it. I cannot even send a questionnaire to patients without filling in a 56 page R and D form and Ethics approval form. That is set by our local masters though.
  • Options

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

Wow.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Here we go again....

Officers are dealing with a suspected bomb attack plot, police have said
    Armed police are scaling a block of flats and have set up barricades

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3828333/German-town-lockdown-residents-ordered-stay-indoors-armed-police-surround-blocks-flats-amid-reports-threat.html#ixzz4MUdBIF1r

Well done Merkel, way to go.....
  • Options

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

well I dont actually run the government. But if youre asking me what do I think progress would look like it would be

Would you be happy with a levelling down of incomes in the SE to get a more even distribution of income?

GDP growing faster than the EZ is a pretty poor indicator. We already do that.
  • Options

Indigo said:

@Scott_P The problem is May is right. The Leave win was a clear statement huge reductions in immigration is the No 1 socio economic priority for Britain. A decisive group of swing voters think it will make them better off socio economically. The fact they are deluded is neither here nor there. We're a democracy and we asked voters in a referendum to make a clear choice on an intelligible question. What else could any new PM do ?

Clear events may over take the referendum decision in due course. But unless they do were stuck with it.

Sorry that doesn't wash. Its not a groups of swing voters, its the majority of the population at large.

http://www.bsa.natcen.ac.uk/latest-report/british-social-attitudes-31/immigration/introduction.aspx

"77 per cent of people want immigration reduced “a little” or “a lot”, with 56 per cent wanting a large reduction."
    A difficult argument because in the 1960s probably 75% of the population believed in hanging murderers. Today as far as I'm aware it's fallen to well below 50%.

Without 'enlightened' people in government, like Roy Jenkins, capital punishment would have lasted several more decades and many innocent people would have been killed including the B'ham pub bombers.
    Capital punishment was abolished as a result of a Private Member's Bill introduced by Sydney Silverman.Sir Frank Sockice was actually Home Secretary when the Legislation was making its way through Parliament.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Dromedary said:

It's not too late for Trump to be replaced as the Republican candidate.

In the 2002 US Senate election in New Jersey, sitting Democratic senator Robert Torricelli dropped out of the race after scandals caused his performance in polls to go through the floor. The Democrats chose Frank Lautenberg as his replacement, but to get him onto the ballots they had to go to the state Supreme Court. They won the case, and 34 days before the election the court allowed new ballots to be printed, carrying Lautenberg's name instead of Torricelli's.

In the 1992 election in New York state to the US House of Representatives, sitting congressmen Theodore Weiss died on 14 September. The Democrats chose Jerrold Nadler as his replacement, and took a "vote Weiss to elect Nadler" approach, which was successful.

If Trump dies then that'll work.

Could you find any cases where the candidate dropped out rather than dying (like your first case) but was still on the ballot (like your second), and the process transferred seamlessly away from the candidate who had technically won?
  • Options
    619 said:

One let the other out of its cage.
  • Options

Boring

chortle

They may well be, but are certainly in majority in voting, hence our gerontocracy.
    or it could just be that oldies out number the under 40s anyway
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

That Trump's behaviour is excused and explained by "filthy Hollywood culture"? I think your definition of "a point" needs looking at.
    No it is not saying that. It is saying that the left has brought about the situation where such behaviour is increasingly widespread.
  • Options

619 said:

The rot set in when we stopped stoning for adultery.
  • Options

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

Would you be happy with a levelling down of incomes in the SE to get a more even distribution of income?

A better Gini co-effsure?

well it goes back to the position whoke them do it.

I.d rather the other areas caught up the SE

and since you and your Remainer colleagues have said growth will come to a stop on Brexit then have you now changed your mind ?
  • Options

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

Drug trials in oncology are almost all multinational nowadays, and in order to get a product licence in the major markets (USA and EU) will have to meet the critera for those countries.

There certainly has been a lot more regulation of research over the years, and innovation is often strangled by it. I cannot even send a questionnaire to patients without filling in a 56 page R and D form and Ethics approval form. That is set by our local masters though.
    It might be set by your local masters on the face of it but I wouldnt mind betting that the UK legislation that set them on their way was influenced directly or indirectly by the EU or ECHR.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Very late to the thread so thanks, @david_herdson for a very thought-provoking header article.

And good afternoon, everybody.
  • Options

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

It's a controversial view, but I think the UK will grow less quickly than the Eurozone in the next decade, even if we do all the right things.

This is not because of Brexit, but because we have the most unbalanced economy in the developed world, which is massively dependent on borrowing from foreigners. Ultimately, the UK's savings rate needs to move from 3% (which is an all time low) to around 10%. That's a similar sized adjustment to Spain's during the Eurozone crisis. (Indeed, the UK's economy today looks eerily like Spain's in 2007.)
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

619 said:

The rot set in when we stopped stoning for adultery.
    Ah the islamic equivalent of Godwins Law.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2016
    Moses_ said:

Here we go again....

Officers are dealing with a suspected bomb attack plot, police have said
    Armed police are scaling a block of flats and have set up barricades

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3828333/German-town-lockdown-residents-ordered-stay-indoors-armed-police-surround-blocks-flats-amid-reports-threat.html#ixzz4MUdBIF1r

Well done Merkel, way to go.....

There was also the story yesterday of the guy who bumped into the ISIS mob who tortured him in Syria....while in GERMANY...he has since identified 30 ISIS members there.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

No it is not saying that. It is saying that the left has brought about the situation where such behaviour is increasingly widespread.
    Letter Lord Byron to John Hobhouse, 1818

[the singer Arpalice Taruscelli] "is a piece to perish in...I have fucked her twice a day for the last six..."

Hollywood to blame?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

It's not really about lattes, honestly. A lot of us who voted Remain did so out of a conviction that those who would be most adversely affected by leaving the EU would be the ones who have already been most adversely affected by the forces of globalisation. And

The Tories have never been popular in the Valleys. But, the rest of Wales is undergoing a long term shift to them.

And much of the North is solidly Conservative.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

[the singer Arpalice Taruscelli] "is a piece to perish in...I have fucked her twice a day for the last six..."

Hollywood to blame?
    The rich and powerful have always behaved like that if they can get away with it. The left and hollywood have torn down the restraints on such behaviour with tragic results.

As Norman Tebbit responded when asked about the drunken fighting and sexual debauchery that characterises our town centres:

I see people behaving like the rich but without the resources to deal with the fallout from it.
  • Options
    It is starting to look as though that by voting LEAVE the less educated masses have made the more intelligent economic and social decision than the so called sophisticated urban intelligentsia who voted REMAIN.

Discuss.

• Options

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

A better Gini co-effsure?

well it goes back to the position whoke them do it.

well I dont actually run the government.

I.d rather the other areas caught up the SE

and since you and your Remainer colleagues have said growth will come to a stop on Brexit then have you now changed your mind ?
    I don't think that I ever predicted that growth would stop on Brexit, but if you can find an example of that in my near 15 000 posts then I am happy to correct it.

I never predicted economic apocalypse with Brexit, just a slow slide into isolationism and protectionism.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    (((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 2m2 minutes ago
    Genuine question. If Trump (or more likely Pence) pulled out now, what would happen? Voting has already started.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    If you're interested, here is the UK savings rate:

postimage

Click to see full details.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

It's a controversial view, but I think the UK will grow less quickly than the Eurozone in the next decade, even if we do all the right things.

This is not because of Brexit, but because we have the most unbalanced economy in the developed world, which is massively dependent on borrowing from foreigners. Ultimately, the UK's savings rate needs to move from 3% (which is an all time low) to around 10%. That's a similar sized adjustment to Spain's during the Eurozone crisis. (Indeed, the UK's economy today looks eerily like Spain's in 2007.)
    I dont actually disagree with that

the UK has a massive adjustment to make and has been putting it off for 20 years. That's why growing faster then the EZ would be an achievement.

On the other hand we contol our own currency and have basically underinvested for decades so we have at least some pointers on where we can go.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

(((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 2m2 minutes ago
    Genuine question. If Trump (or more likely Pence) pulled out now, what would happen? Voting has already started.

Try and stop Hillary from getting 270 with Pence in rust belt. Send it to Republican congress and install Trump. Is the idea, but it's all very unlikely.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

I think base effects will help the Eurozone as well, there is so much spare capacity in Southern Europe.
  • Options
    I see the Donald says we're first in the queue for trade deal if he wins.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

the UK has a massive adjustment to make and has been putting it off for 20 years. That's why growing faster then the EZ would be an achievement.

On the other hand we contol our own currency and have basically underinvested for decades so we have at least some pointers on where we can go.
    Yes, Gross Capital Formation needs to move from 17% of GDP to 21-22%, funded by an increased savings rate.

The trick is to do it in a non painful way. I'm not confident we'll achieve it.

Worse, it is likely that Brexit will be blamed, because of the Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc fallacy.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

Hollywood to blame?
    The rich and powerful have always behaved like that if they can get away with it. The left and hollywood have torn down the restraints on such behaviour with tragic results.

As Norman Tebbit responded when asked about the drunken fighting and sexual debauchery that characterises our town centres:

I see people behaving like the rich but without the resources to deal with the fallout from it.
    And God has told you to put in the hours thinking about what poor people do with their genitalia?
  • Options

Boring

Lots of people won it for Leave. Most people aged 42 and over voted Leave. Forty somethings are people who've grown up in a multiracial society, and travelled abroad. 42% of graduates voted Leave, along with 43% of middle class voters. What's more, many Remain voters were eurosceptics, who shared many of the concerns of Leave voters.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

Yes, Gross Capital Formation needs to move from 17% of GDP to 21-22%, funded by an increased savings rate.

Worse, it is likely that Brexit will be blamed, because of the Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc fallacy.
    there will be pain whatever happens. More likely events will come to the rescue and the politics will blame the pain on unforeseen factors.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

Hollywood to blame?
    Someone like Trump could have flaunted his vices as openly in Regency times as he can today. But, he probably couldn't have done 50 or 60 years ago.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Increased employment?

Or some other measure?

I think that's likely, our economy is in quire poor shape if one takes the time to look behind the curtains.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Miss JGP, good afternoon.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    PlatoSaid said:

Daily News

Are you a fucking joke? You do know we can actually look this shit up.

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/1637

I mean, it's slightly better than posing entirely fictional made up shit but only by half a step.
  • Options
    I see that Gove is trying to mend fences with the core posh boy group. Taking the blame for Dave and Boris' downfalls. Last week Dave and Boris made nice, this week it looks like Gove is doing the same with the rest of the group. Something is brewing on the back benches.
  • Options
    An expert speaks.

'Britain's view of its history 'dangerous', says former museum director

“In Britain we use our history in order to comfort us to make us feel stronger, to remind ourselves that we were always, always deep down, good people,” he said. “Maybe we mention a little bit of slave trade here and there, a few wars here and there, but the chapters we insist on are the sunny ones,” he said.
    MacGregor warned: “This sort of handling of history is dangerous as well as regrettable”.'

http://tinyurl.com/jlxwrvp
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Max, if they launch a coup and try to stop our departure it'll destroy the party. If they launch a coup and are seen as softer than May there'll be a backbench challenge. If they launch a coup and fail it'll damage the party significantly.

Surely the timing is to exert pressure to improve (as they see it) any deal, then axe May once the deal is done, and she's taken the heat for it.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    MaxPB said:

I see that Gove is trying to mend fences with the core posh boy group. Taking the blame for Dave and Boris' downfalls. Last week Dave and Boris made nice, this week it looks like Gove is doing the same with the rest of the group. Something is brewing on the back benches.

Thought it was a dismal intv from Anne Trenneman - waffly, unstructured, failed gotchas and sneerily unfunny.

I haven't rated her for years and this was more of the same. I learned nothing.
  • Options
    In two days' time, we will be able to say that no-one aged under 60 has ever voted in a British general election in which the Sun newspaper hasn't backed the winning side.
  • Options
    Tim Stanley has it spot on.

'[T]his is a personal humiliation for [Trump]. In the long-term, it could wreck the conservative movement. The US Right is supposed to be big on morality. Compromise with Trump leaves it looking hypocritical and debased.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/08/donald-trump-has-self-immolated--and-hell-take-the-entire-conser/

The way the British and American Right have pandered to Trump's every excess has been toe curling to behold. I'm starting to believe the old Marxist critique that they don't actually believe this morality stuff - it was only ever a useful tool for keeping the little people in check.
  • Options

An expert speaks.

'Britain's view of its history 'dangerous', says former museum director

“In Britain we use our history in order to comfort us to make us feel stronger, to remind ourselves that we were always, always deep down, good people,” he said. “Maybe we mention a little bit of slave trade here and there, a few wars here and there, but the chapters we insist on are the sunny ones,” he said.
    MacGregor warned: “This sort of handling of history is dangerous as well as regrettable”.'

http://tinyurl.com/jlxwrvp

Tosh
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

Hollywood to blame?
    Someone like Trump could have flaunted his vices as openly in Regency times as he can today. But, he probably couldn't have done 50 or 60 years ago.
    And Victorian values and harsh sexual mores were a backlash against the excesses of the regency period.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    Trump campaign says the UK will be offered a trade deal before the EU. As the US is the nation to which the UK exports the most this confirms Brexiteers should be rooting for a Trump win. Hillary would of course do a trade deal with the EU before the UK

Dan DiMicco said 'Britain was "a friend" of America and was leaving the EU for the right reasons.... Mr DiMicco said with the present Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) proposals "on hold", Britain would be at the front of the queue for any future trade deal once the UK has left the EU.
    His comments contrast with those of outgoing President Barack Obama, who - speaking before the UK's EU referendum in June - said Britain would go to the "back of the queue" for trade deals with the US if it left the EU.
    When asked if the US would do a deal with Britain ahead of the EU, Mr DiMicco told me: "Absolutely.
    "First off they are our friends, they have always supported us, and we've worked together, and they are leaving the EU in our estimation for the right reasons.
    "They have lost control of their economy, the job creation engine, so why shouldn't we be working with like-minded people before we do a deal with anybody else?"'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37594928
This discussion has been closed.