Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two nations: the Brexit chasm

Comments

• Options
    kle4 said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

I t.

Indeed.

And exacerbated by the metropolitans being so incompetent and so unwilling to take responsibility for the consequences of their own failures.
    Though ironically it is the metropolitans who will be implementing Brexit, both in government and in the civil service. Cue accusations of betrayal from the Bitter Enders.

Yep, as I said during the referendum campaign: "Buy shares in betrayal."

There is nothing in May's CV to indicate that she is anything other than a pretty mediocre, career politician with little skill for bringing people together. Wisely, she is doing all she can to delay the triggering of A50; but it cannot be avoided forever. That's when the fun starts. And are there any vainer, more self-regarding politicians in Britain than Liam Fox, David Davis and Boris Johnson? I also suspect we will be seeing and hearing a lot from Michael Gove and John Redwood in the months to come.

I'm not sure May is so pliable and ineffective.
    I'm not sure either, however that is part of the problem. I get the sense she can be effective and competent - she seemed the choice of Tory leader that was needed right now, frankly - but this early on and notwithstanding her record at the Home Office (which has had highs and lows), I don't get a sense of if she will indeed prove effective.

The appointment of Fox and Davis really struck me to be honest. Some SoftLeavers even put forth the theory it was an act to undermine HardBrexit by having them mess up, but such a risky, convoluted plan seems unlikely to me, so I am left to presume May really thought they were the best men for the job and wants them to succeed, as apart from any question of her effectiveness (which we have no evidence as PM for yet, but there's reason for optimism and pessimism), I find it very unlikely May will want to take on any difficult groups within her parliamentary party. She has a slim majority, she has seen how much trouble they can cause, she knows we are on the Brexit path come what may, and she knows that the hardliners, as with all hardliners, don't stop even if they lose an argument or a fight, as any Corbyn or Bone will prove.

She has a lot of hard work to do. Achieving the best possible result she can will involve keeping her own support united, which means the theoretical best possible result she can think of will need to be sacrificed, since the last thing she needs is achieving it to be continually undermined by dedicated groups of her own people for years upon years.

Yes, May is probably a competent manager. But Brexit will take a lot more than managing.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,834

he has a big majority so it will be another non-test for Corbyn Labour should it bet to a bye-election.

Yes indeed, winning percentage between 50-60% very often. Though the last time it was lost by Labour was...1983. A time we seem desperate to return to with Corbyn and the ever persistent Thatcher fanatics (fans and haters) who want to fight hold battles.

But yeah, another seat so safe its almost criminal.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

With this Vaz stuff, I never quite get the inclusion of comments about being the subject of a sting operation from the accused. If you still did what was said (and assuming those acts are relevant to your job and not a personal matter) what does it matter if it was a sting or not? Does that mitigate in anyw ay?

Sometimes you can be led down a path you would not have ever gone down. But that doesn't seem right here, Guido seems to think there's much more to come...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That's a fair point. No matter how much of a slimeball we all think he is, he's still entitled to due process without prejudice.

Indeed, we don't want to take things as far as the Phillipine President is doing - however tempting it might be at times. If only Blair & co had read his history books and one of the previous Lord Chancellors before messing with due process in so many areas. Roper could have been Blair or Mandelson.

William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!

Saint Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?

William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!

Siant Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
  • Options

kle4 said:

With this Vaz stuff, I never quite get the inclusion of comments about being the subject of a sting operation from the accused. If you still did what was said (and assuming those acts are relevant to your job and not a personal matter) what does it matter if it was a sting or not? Does that mitigate in anyw ay?

Sometimes you can be led down a path you would not have ever gone down.
    But you still choose to go down the path, so how is being led there an excuse. Sorry, guvnor, I wouldn't normally murder a guy, but my mate here was encouraging me yous ee.

On Leicester East, I see a former MP was Abraham Montagu Lyons. What an awesome name, all the constituent parts come together into a mighty whole more than the sum of its parts.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

I think you are over interpreting this - and looking at it through the wrong prism.

This is simply the metropolitan / non-metropolitan divide. Leave/Remain has just thrown it into sharp relief.

It's a divide that has persisted for centuries and, no doubt, will continue to persist.

The only thing that is unusual is that for the last 20 years (since Blair) politics has been utterly dominated by the metropolitan tendency with a very narrow worldview and the contempt that Londoners have always had for their country cousins.

That was simply unhealthy, and I'm glad that the natural order has reasserted itself. London has a hugely important role to play in the country, but its priorities and interests are different from those of the rest of the realm and it should never been allow to hold sway.

Indeed.

And exacerbated by the metropolitans being so incompetent and so unwilling to take responsibility for the consequences of their own failures.
    It's Inner London that's the outlier (72% Remain). Outer London only voted 54% Remain, which makes it more similar to the rest of urban England (45% Remain) than to Inner London.
    Most large cities, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bristol, Brighton, Liverpool, Leicester etc voted Remain and while some did vote Leave eg Birmingham and Sunderland big Cities were clearly more pro Remain than the national average. Those cities that did vote Leave tended to have more in common with Leave voting working class towns than they did with inner London

Coventry voted leave too, I believe.

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Sky now breaking Vaz...

Their lawyers obviously got an early alarm call for a Sunday, took them a couple of hours to decide what they're allowed to say on air about the story. That he has resigned from the HOSC now makes it safer to broadcast an outline of the story.
    I expect Vaz to do his usual limpet - grovelling apols, get suspended for a bit and come back - yet again.

Only rozzers will prise him off.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,044
    kle4 said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

I t.

Indeed.

Though ironically it is the metropolitans who will be implementing Brexit, both in government and in the civil service. Cue accusations of betrayal from the Bitter Enders.

Yep, as I
    I'm not sure either, however that is part of the problem. I get the sense she can be effective and competent - she seemed the choice of Tory leader that was needed right now, frankly - but this early on and notwithstanding her record at the Home Office (which has had highs and lows), I don't get a sense of if she will indeed prove effective.

The appointment of Fox and Davis really struck me to be honest. Some SoftLeavers even put forth the theory it was an act to undermine HardBrexit by having them mess up, but such a risky, convoluted plan seems unlikely to me, so I am left to presume May really thought they were the best men for the job and wants them to succeed, as apart from any question of her effectiveness (which we have no evidence as PM for yet, but there's reason for optimism and pessimism), I find it very unlikely May will want to take on any difficult groups within her parliamentary party. She has a slim majority, she has seen how much trouble they can cause, she knows we are on the Brexit path come what may, and she knows that the hardliners, as with all hardliners, don't stop even if they lose an argument or a fight, as any Corbyn or Bone will prove.

She has a lot of hard work to do. Achieving the best possible result she can will involve keeping her own support united, which means the theoretical best possible result she can think of will need to be sacrificed, since the last thing she needs is achieving it to be continually undermined by dedicated groups of her own people for years upon years.
    May has made quite clear on Mart this morning that she wants a trade agreement for goods and services with the EU as well as controlled free movement. That means no soft Brexit but no hard BREXIT either as that would require complete withdrawal from the single market, something both she and even David Davis have said they do not want given a plurality of Tory voters and over 70% of all voters want some single market access. Only UKIP voters back full hard BREXIT in polls i.e. no single market membership at all and absolutely no free movement of any kind
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914
    edited September 2016
    kle4 said:

With this Vaz stuff, I never quite get the inclusion of comments about being the subject of a sting operation from the accused. If you still did what was said (and assuming those acts are relevant to your job and not a personal matter) what does it matter if it was a sting or not? Does that mitigate in anyway?

Looks more like an old fashioned kiss and tell, rather than a sting setup by a journo.

The sting would be justified if there's a clear public interest and evidence of prior behaviour rather than coercion, his role on the Select Committee looking at drugs and prostitution probably would provide sufficient cover for the lawyers
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030

Most of my Remain friends are of a more philosophical bent than Mr Meeks' "oh well, we lost, better get on with it and make the best of it".....unlike Scotland where two years on the losers do nothing but stoke up grievance....

LOL, our resident Scotland expert opines from tax exile , more fantasy opinions to follow.
  • Options
    Diane on Sky now
  • Options

FF43 said:

There's no such party, and if there was it would split the Lib/Lab vote. Take a Labour Party busy playing with itself and a horribly damaged LibDems, then add incumbency and boundary changes and the Tories probably don't need much more than 30% for a majority. After the election there's a risk that Labour will start to get its shit together, so it makes sense for them to do the full term.

Clearly any concrete Brexit solution is going to nark off a lot of Tory supporters, but isn't the solution to that just to be vague and not do anything concrete? They can make "Brexit means Brexit" a manifesto commitment for 2020. That gives them some leverage over UKIP voters in safe seats, in the unlikely event that the next election is actually a contest.

You were talking yesterday about Japan's reaction to Brexit and keenness for an FTA with a Brexited Britain. It seems the government have issued a 15 page "Message to the UK and the EU".

Pretty bolshy stuff with a strong implication that Japan feels let down by Britain. Apparently UK officials were astonished the Japanese would issue a document like this.
    I didn't say anything about how keen they were on an FTA - I just saw someone claiming it would be done quickly, which seems unlikely even if the Japanese government is keen, because it doesn't do anything quickly.

I don't think it's particularly surprising that they'd express an opinion about Brexit though. A lot of firms have put a lot of money into Britain on the assumption that it'll be their entry point to the whole of the EU, and if they're going to have to pack everything up and move then that's obviously something they'll have an opinion about.
    True though Japan generally exports more to the UK than the UK exports to Japan, a trade deal with the U.S. and Ireland is more pressing than with Japan as the UK has a surplus with both although the Irish deal will depend on BREXIT terms
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited September 2016
    Remain 'Big cities' = university towns with suitably groomed and politically active under 30s.

• Options

I'm curious as to why deprived inner London voted so heavily for Remain.

Now I can understand why economically successful parts of London - Westminster, Kensington, Richmond, Wandsworth - did so.

But why would people in Lambeth and Haringey and Hackney and Southwark be even more Remain ?

The same areas which also voted YesAV.

Perhaps because pretending that you're a member of the successful metropolitan internationalist elite hides that you're sharing a flat in a crime ridden shithole with a crap job and with a load of debt ?

I'd say it's more that if you live in a big city surrounded by people from all over the globe you end up seeing the world in a very different way. It is possible.

I would say it is due to the social cleansing that has gone on in recent years that would make Dame Shirley blush with working classes being replaced with hipster types in boroughs like Islington, Lambeth and Southwark (in some cases forcibly by paying them little more than site value for the council flat they bought, knocking down their flats to replace with yuppie high rises and telling them to f off and find somewhere to live themselves after paying them a sum that would not be enough to buy anywhere in greater london.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

I t.

Indeed.

Yep, as I
    I'm.
    May has made quite clear on Mart this morning that she wants a trade agreement for goods and services with the EU as well as controlled free movement. That means no soft Brexit but no hard BREXIT either as that would require complete withdrawal from the single market, something both she and even David Davis have said they do not want given a plurality of Tory voters and over 70% of all voters want some single market access. Only UKIP voters back full hard BREXIT in polls i.e. no single market membership at all and absolutely no free movement of any kind
    Only UKIP voters back Hardest Brexit perhaps. But plenty of MPs will want either that or harder Brexit than what is offered.

If compromise is needed, it will be needed toward the Hard crowd, as they will be the noisiest and most difficult. We are continually told by people on here that 'access' to the single market is a meaningless term, so whetehr people are saying now they want it or not may not be relevant either, depending on how what we go for is spun. We know that anything less that towing into the Atlantic will be portrayed as staying in by the back door, and its a question of whether any such claims gain traction among MPs in particular.

I'm not saying it will, I'm saying it might, and if it does I'd bet money on May compromising before hardliners. Hardliners don't compromise. As I said, we won't get everything we want, nobody does in life, so what we say we want will be less than we what really want, I suspect (or think we can get at least). Its just a question of how much fighting May will need to do - you don't think that much it seems, which I'd hope for whatever the type of Brexit we get, but I'm doubtful given the personalities involved.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, yeah, heard good things about the lower formulae. Which makes it all the more galling at the stupid moves F1 itself seems to be doing.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

kle4 said:

Sometimes you can be led down a path you would not have ever gone down. But that doesn't seem right here, Guido seems to think there's much more to come...
    Yeah, used to be called "agent provocateur" didn't it?
  • Options

Charles said:

I think you are over interpreting this - and looking at it through the wrong prism.

This is simply the metropolitan / non-metropolitan divide. Leave/Remain has just thrown it into sharp relief.

It's a divide that has persisted for centuries and, no doubt, will continue to persist.

The only thing that is unusual is that for the last 20 years (since Blair) politics has been utterly dominated by the metropolitan tendency with a very narrow worldview and the contempt that Londoners have always had for their country cousins.

That was simply unhealthy, and I'm glad that the natural order has reasserted itself. London has a hugely important role to play in the country, but its priorities and interests are different from those of the rest of the realm and it should never been allow to hold sway.

Indeed.

So long as Immigration is bought under control and the laws stop being set/overturned by european institutons like the ECJ they will be happy enough.

I suspect the ECHR and Human Rights Act may become a major issue again before too long though.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Diane on Sky now

Has she put her foot in her big mouth yet? Will the Corbynites back him to the hilt or hang him out to dry?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @RobD

"What makes it worse is that while Remainers are sure that they have lost, Leavers remain nervous that their victory might yet be stolen from them."

'The people clambering for a second referendum clearly didn't get the memo!'

Hardly surprising that Leavers remain nervous as they will remember the games that were played with the EU constitution / Lisbon treaty.

• Options
    john_zims said:

@RobD

"What makes it worse is that while Remainers are sure that they have lost, Leavers remain nervous that their victory might yet be stolen from them."

'The people clambering for a second referendum clearly didn't get the memo!'

Hardly surprising that Leavers remain nervous as they will remember the games that were played with the EU constitution / Lisbon treaty.

Yes, but politically the options of not Leaving are all unviable, and unless the sky literally falls in and so changes our circumstance, will remain so. The worried can relax.

That's why the question has moved onto the phoney war with people saying nonsense like 'Leaving but doing X would be tantamount to ignoring the result'.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think that [redacted] is bisexual has been one of the HoC's open secrets for a long long time (Of course that is his private business and no crime)

The drugs and money aspect to the story however is what could do him in to my mind.

Contrary to the general direction since the 60s, my impression is that attitudes to Adultery have hardened over the last decades, particularly Adultery by men. Adultery makes you unfit for office in the minds of a large proportion of the population.

Homosexual marriage is something that is having unexpected consequences as once married they are expected by a large proportion of the population to not have sex outside that marriage even in the long term (which is I gather quite unusual in many male homosexual relationships) and get accused of Adultery if they do (whereas in a civil partnership it didn't matter).

Not everyone has the resources to get a superinjunction to keep such stories out of fleet street and those that do find that everyone finds out on social media anyway.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited September 2016
    Musing on the latest trade figures I see that China is heading towards the top 3 in export destinations for the UK before the end of this parliament where it will be behind the USA as number one.

We run a trade surplus on services (ex financial) as well.

Both are worthy of note in relation to Brexit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

I t.

Indeed.

Yep, as I
    I'm.
    May has made quite clear on Mart this morning thathey do not want given a plurality of Tory voters and over 70% of all voters want some single market access. Only UKIP voters back full hard BREXIT in polls i.e. no single market membership at all and absolutely no free movement of any kind
    Only UKIP voters back Hardest Brexit perhaps. But plenty of MPs will want either that or harder Brexit than what is offered.

If compromise is needed, it will be needed toward the Hard crowd, as they will be the noisiest and most difficult. We are continually told by people on here that 'access' to the single market is a meaningless term, so whetehr people are saying now they want it or not may not be relevant either, depending on how what we go for is spun. We know that anything less that towing into the Atlantic will be portrayed as staying in by the back door, and its a question of whether any such claims gain traction among MPs in particular.

I'm not saying it will, I'm saying it might, and if it does I'd bet money on May compromising before hardliners. Hardliners don't compromise. As I said, we won't get everything we want, nobody does in life, so what we say we want will be less than we what really want, I suspect (or think we can get at least). Its just a question of how much fighting May will need to do - you don't think that much it seems, which I'd hope for whatever the type of Brexit we get, but I'm doubtful given the personalities involved.
    In a contest between May and IDS there is only one winner and it is not the latter given where the Tories are now polling and where they were polling when he was in charge, May will not want to go back to that. The most uncompromising people in politics at the moment are Corbynistas and hard BREXITeers, it is no coincidence they are both the furthest from the median voter which May knows only too well
  • Options
    F1: BBC had a piece on Marchionne, but James Allen has some juicier additions:
    https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/09/sergio-marchionne-gets-realistic-and-admits-2016-f1-season-a-failure-for-ferrari/

Seems the Italian's to blame for Allison leaving. Allen also reports Renault and Williams are front of the queue to try and get Allison (he'd be a great asset, especially for Williams whose philosophy of slipperiness just doesn't cut it).
  • Options

It's an excellent piece from the handsome and erudite Mr Meeks. I broadly agree with the thrust but for slightly different reasons. I'll come onto that. But in the short term the strength of May's position is contained in her alchemical formula " Brexit must mean Brexit and we're going to make a success of it. " This is both a Fog Horn and a Dog Whistle at the same time. We're heading for synthesis. If tragically our place in Europe was unsustainable thesis, if tragically the Leave proposition was a phantasmagoria of Xenophobic and racist lies May knows victory in FPTP elections ( because we won't be having another UK referendum till all the politicians who remember this one are dead. ) lies in putting the pragmatic half of Remain and Leave votes together and leave the ultra halves of both sides to go hang. The Fog Horn is Brexit means Brexit. She's telling the world it will happen. Make a Success of it is the Dog Whistle. It's admitting a success will have to *made* of it because that far from certain but don't worry I'm in charge not the Three Brexiteers and voters with England Flags on their council houses in Sunderland. In short she's triangulating and attempting to unite the luke warm centre who don't care what Brexit is as long as it's called Brexit, it's well managed and then we can all change the subject. I expect the strategy to work.

It is just more whinging bollox from a petulant sulky rich loser who thinks democracy is only for the likes of him and his rich pals.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Musing on the latest trade figures I see that China is heading towards top 3 in export destinations for the UK before the end of this parliament where it will behind the USA as number one.

We run a trade surplus on services (ex financial) as well.

Both are worthy of note in relation to Brexit.

Though overall we still have a trade deficit with China unlike the US
  • Options

Now I can understand why economically successful parts of London - Westminster, Kensington, Richmond, Wandsworth - did so.

But why would people in Lambeth and Haringey and Hackney and Southwark be even more Remain ?

Perhaps because pretending that you're a member of the successful metropolitan internationalist elite hides that you're sharing a flat in a crime ridden shithole with a crap job and with a load of debt ?

I'd say it's more that if you live in a big city surrounded by people from all over the globe you end up seeing the world in a very different way. It is possible.

I would say it is due to the social cleansing that has gone on in recent years that would make Dame Shirley blush with working classes being replaced with hipster types in boroughs like Islington, Lambeth and Southwark (in some cases forcibly by paying them little more than site value for the council flat they bought, knocking down their flats to replace with yuppie high rises and telling them to f off and find somewhere to live themselves after paying them a sum that would not be enough to buy anywhere in greater london.

Not many hipsters on the big estates in Islington, believe me.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

It's an excellent piece from the handsome and erudite Mr Meeks. I broadly agree with the thrust but for slightly different reasons. I'll come onto that. But in the short term the strength of May's position is contained in her alchemical formula " Brexit must mean Brexit and we're going to make a success of it. " This is both a Fog Horn and a Dog Whistle at the same time. We're heading for synthesis. If tragically our place in Europe was unsustainable thesis, if tragically the Leave proposition was a phantasmagoria of Xenophobic and racist lies May knows victory in FPTP elections ( because we won't be having another UK referendum till all the politicians who remember this one are dead. ) lies in putting the pragmatic half of Remain and Leave votes together and leave the ultra halves of both sides to go hang. The Fog Horn is Brexit means Brexit. She's telling the world it will happen. Make a Success of it is the Dog Whistle. It's admitting a success will have to *made* of it because that far from certain but don't worry I'm in charge not the Three Brexiteers and voters with England Flags on their council houses in Sunderland. In short she's triangulating and attempting to unite the luke warm centre who don't care what Brexit is as long as it's called Brexit, it's well managed and then we can all change the subject. I expect the strategy to work.

It is just more whinging bollox from a petulant sulky rich loser who thinks democracy is only for the likes of him and his rich pals.
    It is in fact significantly more balanced and less sulky than his pieces have been for some time. I don't agree with all the conclusions, but it does still contain several valid points IMO>
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    malcolmg said:

It's an excellent piece from the handsome and erudite Mr Meeks. I broadly agree with the thrust but for slightly different reasons. I'll come onto that. But in the short term the strength of May's position is contained in her alchemical formula " Brexit must mean Brexit and we're going to make a success of it. " This is both a Fog Horn and a Dog DELETED AS TEXT TOO LONG as it's called Brexit, it's well managed and then we can all change the subject. I expect the strategy to work.

malcolmg said:

I see Nicola is looking for the sympathy vote now.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Charles said:

Indeed.

Yep, as I said during the referendum campaign: "Buy shares in betrayal."

There is nothing in May's CV to indicate that she is anything other than a pretty mediocre, career politician with little skill for bringing people together. Wisely, she is doing all she can to delay the triggering of A50; but it cannot be avoided forever. That's when the fun starts. And are there any vainer, more self-regarding politicians in Britain than Liam Fox, David Davis and Boris Johnson? I also suspect we will be seeing and hearing a lot from Michael Gove and John Redwood in the months to come.

As Home Sec she deported the odd bod who had resisted for years.
    She kept the odd young bod much to the annoyance of USA
    She told the Police conference a few home truths
    She cocked up a few things too.
    Anyone care to name a recent Home Secretary with a better record?
  • Options

Perhaps they are packed with immigrants or EU citizens
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

I t.

Indeed.

Thoutter Enders.

Yep, as I
    I'm.
    May hind

In a contest between May and IDS there is only one winner and it is not the latter given where the Tories are now polling and where they were polling when he was in charge, May will not want to go back to that. The most uncompromising people in politics at the moment are Corbynistas and hard BREXITeers, it is no coincidence they are both the furthest from the median voter which May knows only too well
    The Tories won't be polling at their current level forever. May will still be in the stronger position, but she will have moments of vulnerability, and the HardLeaver arguments got the strongest play in the referendum (unfortunately in my view, being a less Hard Brexiteer), there is a market for them.

My main issue is we see a lot of 'May has made quite clear' sort of comments, but what she has 'made clear' need not be the way things will go. It's a chance, only.

Anyway, time to be useful and put up some bookcases. Ugh, that almost counts as physical labour.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Malcolm, subtracting from the sum total of human knowledge, as usual.

Shouldn't you be pestering your friend (s?) with the SNP Leading Questionaire?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Vaz appears to have stepped down
  • Options

malcolmg said:

It's an excellent piece from the handsome and erudite Mr Meeks. I broadly agree with the thrust but for slightly different reasons. I'll come onto that. But in the short term the strength of May's position is contained in her alchemical formula " Brexit must mean Brexit and we're going to make a success of it. " This is both a Fog Horn and a Dog DELETED AS TEXT TOO LONG as it's called Brexit, it's well managed and then we can all change the subject. I expect the strategy to work.

malcolmg said:

I see Nicola is looking for the sympathy vote now.
    No loser like a sore loser, eh?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

Is this old style sex scandal better than Lord Sewel in a hookers orange bra?

It's good but it definitely is not as good as that ........ So far anyway? :open_mouth:
    The Krankies coming out as proud swingers still makes me wince.
    That is breakfast ruined
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Oh dear.

It appears the home Affairs Select Committee member has taken his research a little too far.

I had to do practicals in Chemistry, Physics and Biology at School - hands on stuff. (I gather these days doing practicals are perceived as too dangerous so they watch videos.)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

May showing her inexperience today I think. Talks about optimism whilst clumsily saying "it won't be plain sailing".

Isn't politicians being more honest with the public something that the public keep asking for?
    It's the way she immediately put herself back on the optimism line that gives it away.
    I take it that you'd criticise this for giving out the same mixed messages then:?

We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark and lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: victory; victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Let that be realized; no survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge and impulse of the ages, that mankind will move forward towards its goal. But I take up my task with buoyancy and hope. I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail among men.
    Probably his greatest speech. Always reminds me of Aragon's speech at the Black Gate as well.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Stepped down and stepped in it.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    weejonnie said:

Oh dear.

It appears the home Affairs Select Committee member has taken his research a little too far.

I had to do practicals in Chemistry, Physics and Biology at School - hands on stuff. (I gather these days doing practicals are perceived as too dangerous so they watch videos.)
    Sounds like more of an excuse due to cost and effort than health and safety.
  • Options
    Floater said:

'temporarily'...
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Oh dear.

Really??? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Non-sarcastic question for Brexit supporters: One of the things that comes up in the Japanese document, which seems to be written mainly from the point of view of Japanese companies with offices and factories in Britain, is that after Brexit they still want common regulations shared between Britain and the EU. For example, they don't want to have to deal with one set of rules on pharmaceuticals for Britain and another set for the EU.

Assuming Britain opts into this sector-by-sector, how would you guys feel about it? It's obvious to see why it's in Britain's interests to do this, but the weird thing about the situation is that you're supposed to have Taken Back Control but now you're obeying the same rules, only you now have little or no say in how they're made.

Do you say, fair enough, in each case Britain is doing this in its own interests and as long as it's free and sovereign to stop harmonizing and start applying different rules instead then everything's fine? Or would leaving the EU only to recreate a bunch of EU regulations as domestic regulations strike you as a sell-out?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Elsie's latest wheeze going well then...

@Grinbin5: .@theSNP @NicolaSturgeon
    Think you need to explain to members they should be getting others to fill out your survey https://t.co/ALIU0xKDEf
  • Options

F1: BBC had a piece on Marchionne, but James Allen has some juicier additions:
    https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/09/sergio-marchionne-gets-realistic-and-admits-2016-f1-season-a-failure-for-ferrari/

Seems the Italian's to blame for Allison leaving. Allen also reports Renault and Williams are front of the queue to try and get Allison (he'd be a great asset, especially for Williams whose philosophy of slipperiness just doesn't cut it).

Allison to Williams please, he's just what that team could do with right now.
  • Options
    Then finally you have people like me who'll now use the EU flag like the Confederate one. It'll start small be grow over time. Absolutely everything will be the fault of having left the EU. It will be the mirror image of the last 43 years. All the big glacial issues will continue. The deficit reduction, globalisation, the Great Migration, ecological collapse, endless Tory rule but it will all be Brexit's fault. BUT... The British Left is a crude, patronising, unhappy and colonial alliance of liberal Metropolitans, ethnic minorities and the working classes. If the voters of Sunderland so hare my metropolitan liberalism so much they've ripped my European Citizenship and identity away, empowered a right wing Tory government and engaged in a vulgar spurt of populist ethnonationalism why shouldn't I launch a counter strike ? If one part of Britain's Left is telling the other to f**k off what happens if we then do ? I always mock Scottish Nationalists for favouring solidarity with Catalonia but not Carlise. I've had an epiphany. To be honest I feel more in common with Sweden at the moment than Sunderland. When the inevitable Brexit cuts hit WWC area in England and Wales hardest, and they will, I'm not going on a protest march, voting or doing bugger all about it. I'll be too busy laughing and spending more time on writing Amnesty letters. The world's in flames, we've one life and if you blame foreigners for your problems I don't care about helping you. If you think Liam Fox will be a better ally good luck. They'll be plenty of Tories who'll need my help preserving what we can of the ' Four Freedoms '.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Indeed.

It's Inner London that's the outlier (72% Remain). Outer London only voted 54% Remain, which makes it more similar to the rest of urban England (45% Remain) than to Inner London.
    Most large cities, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bristol, Brighton, Liverpool, Leicester etc voted Remain and while some did vote Leave eg Birmingham and Sunderland big Cities were clearly more pro Remain than the national average. Those cities that did vote Leave tended to have more in common with Leave voting working class towns than they did with inner London
    Most Metroplitan Borough Councils (outside London) voted Leave as well as cities like Portsmouth, Plymouth,Nottingham, Middlesborough, Derby, Stoke, and the Bournemouth conurbation. In fact, every borough in South Yorkshire and West Midlands voted Leave.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Scott_P said:

Think you need to explain to members they should be getting others to fill out your survey https://t.co/ALIU0xKDEf

What will happen to competed surveys that state that the SNP are a bunch of turnips?
  • Options
    Morning all,

Owen Smith supporters telling the Observer this morning that it "is too close to call".
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

What will happen to competed surveys that state that the SNP are a bunch of turnips?

A Named Person will be appointed to re-educate them
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Indeed.

If you sum the votes of these ten English cities - Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford, Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester, Coventry, Brighton and Leicester, you get 53% Remain.

Include Newcastle, Nottingham, Sunderland, Southampton and Plymouth and Remain falls to 51%.

The outlier is clearly Inner London.

Now I can understand why the bankers and millionaires of Inner West London were heavily Remain but why were the deprived voters of Inner East London even more so and far more so than the deprived voters of Outer London.

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Oh dear.

Really??? :open_mouth:
    No.
  • Options

Morning all,

Owen Smith supporters telling the Observer this morning that it "is too close to call".

Oh dear
  • Options

Morning all,

Corbyn landslide then.
  • Options
    Zvi Lando
    Laugh or cry? Female candidate in elections poster shown as a basket of flowers. Photo taken in Aqaba, #Jordan https://t.co/5VjKLpVsxn #Marr
  • Options

Non-sarcastic question for Brexit supporters: One of the things that comes up in the Japanese document, which seems to be written mainly from the point of view of Japanese companies with offices and factories in Britain, is that after Brexit they still want common regulations shared between Britain and the EU. For example, they don't want to have to deal with one set of rules on pharmaceuticals for Britain and another set for the EU.

Assuming Britain opts into this sector-by-sector, how would you guys feel about it? It's obvious to see why it's in Britain's interests to do this, but the weird thing about the situation is that you're supposed to have Taken Back Control but now you're obeying the same rules, only you now have little or no say in how they're made.

Do you say, fair enough, in each case Britain is doing this in its own interests and as long as it's free and sovereign to stop harmonizing and start applying different rules instead then everything's fine? Or would leaving the EU only to recreate a bunch of EU regulations as domestic regulations strike you as a sell-out?

Harmonisation of goods/services regulations is always going to happen one way or another (either voluntarily or through government) with free trade.

Brexit means however that we don't have to harmonise in all the other areas of life - eg justice, foreign affairs, defence, etc etc.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Indeed.

If you sum the votes of these ten English cities - Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford, Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester, Coventry, Brighton and Leicester, you get 53% Remain.

Include Newcastle, Nottingham, Sunderland, Southampton and Plymouth and Remain falls to 51%.

Now I can understand why the bankers and millionaires of Inner West London were heavily Remain but why were the deprived voters of Inner East London even more so and far more so than the deprived voters of Outer London.

Possibly because that part of the world primarily consists of Immigrants in the social housing and flat dwelling yuppies in the ever increasing private housing with places like Wapping gentrifying rapidly.

My prediction is that Tower Hamlets will be a Tory/Lab marginal in 20 years
  • Options

Then finally you have people like me who'll now use the EU flag like the Confederate one. It'll start small be grow over time. Absolutely everything will be the fault of having left the EU. It will be the mirror image of the last 43 years. All the big glacial issues will continue. The deficit reduction, globalisation, the Great Migration, ecological collapse, endless Tory rule but it will all be Brexit's fault. BUT... The British Left is a crude, patronising, unhappy and colonial alliance of liberal Metropolitans, ethnic minorities and the working classes. If the voters of Sunderland so hare my metropolitan liberalism so much they've ripped my European Citizenship and identity away, empowered a right wing Tory government and engaged in a vulgar spurt of populist ethnonationalism why shouldn't I launch a counter strike ? If one part of Britain's Left is telling the other to f**k off what happens if we then do ? I always mock Scottish Nationalists for favouring solidarity with Catalonia but not Carlise. I've had an epiphany. To be honest I feel more in common with Sweden at the moment than Sunderland. When the inevitable Brexit cuts hit WWC area in England and Wales hardest, and they will, I'm not going on a protest march, voting or doing bugger all about it. I'll be too busy laughing and spending more time on writing Amnesty letters. The world's in flames, we've one life and if you blame foreigners for your problems I don't care about helping you. If you think Liam Fox will be a better ally good luck. They'll be plenty of Tories who'll need my help preserving what we can of the ' Four Freedoms '.

It's people like you - who rather look after a narrow section of people who agree with you, wherever they may live in the world, rather than look after all the people of your own society (be it your city, nation, whatever) - why the West is so fcked.

Enjoy your new life hating your own countrymen. I suggest you go and move to your beloved EU.
  • Options
    So in conclusion I agree with the handsome and erudite Mr Meeks but think his categories need tweaking. In binary terms the chasm is between a new coalition assembled by May for a managerial Brexit and the angry and betrayed extremes who will mirror each other. Or perhaps more accurately we'll be Three Nations.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997

We've taken back control to have the freedom to obey the rules.

I have control over whether I drive on the left or the right on the road.
  • Options

You don't feel more in common with Sweden than Sunderland.

You feel more in common with Swedish people with a similar mindset to yourself.

To Swedish people of a different background and views to yourself you would feel the same hate filled bigotry as you do to the people of Sunderland.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,350

That's right in my experience, and I've canvassed lots of them. Paul may know about Bedfordshire, but his knowledge of Islington seems sketchy.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Agree. Also it's possible that the UKIP inspired leave message wasn't perhaps ideally pitched to ethnic minority voters?
    But the areas which had the biggest Leave overachievement (compared to Andy's spreadsheet) were:

Newham
    Slough
    Barking & Dagenham
    Sandwell
    Ealing
    Burnley
    Hounslow
    Pendle
    Harrow
    Walsall
    Redbridge
    Brent
    Hillingdon
    Wolverhampton
    Luton

Leave did significantly better than expected among non-white voters. It was in the 'urban trendy' areas where Leave did worst.

Leave also did worse than expected in affluent parts of the Home Counties - but that can be explained on economic Conservative loyalty grounds.
    I think because Inner London contains areas with large numbers of ethnic minorites who arrived under New Labour-It is one of the few areas that still trusts Labour a lot and has a very good ground game(remember Nick. P's local anecdotes which this time turnout to be true) from the local Labour party, Labour's best membership are is now in areas like Islington and Haringey. The people there are much more likely to take their que from the Labour party whereas the Ethnic minorites from Ealing and Brent and Luton have been here for 2 or 3 generations so are much less likeley to take orders from the Labour party. There are fewer metropolitian type Labour party members in these areas aswell.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

Why not move to a part of the world where you'd clearly feel happier?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,269
    edited September 2016

Morning all,

Corbyn landslide then.
    Yep, smacks of desperation to me. They seem to be arguing that the union affiliates are falling their way, as are several 10,000s of the £25 sign-ups. I'm sure our own Don Brind will agree, but I am unconvinced and now await losing a £5 on Smith (who has drifted out to 19s since I last looked).

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I'll have a go at answering your question, Mr Tokyo. Putting on one side for a moment the practicalities, my view is that having the same regulations on matters such as product standards as the EU would be fine as long as those regulations suited the UK. If they, on a case by case basis, do not then we should be free to adapt, amend or reject them.

I am sure Japan has it own regulation on product standards and as far as I know nobody is demanding they be the same as those in the EU. Japan has trade rules and regulations that suit them, why should not the UK?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    nunu said:

IanB2 said:

Agree. Also it's possible that the UKIP inspired leave message wasn't perhaps ideally pitched to ethnic minority voters?
    But the areas which had the biggest Leave overachievement (compared to Andy's spreadsheet) were:

Newham
    Slough
    Barking & Dagenham
    Sandwell
    Ealing
    Burnley
    Hounslow
    Pendle
    Harrow
    Walsall
    Redbridge
    Brent
    Hillingdon
    Wolverhampton
    Luton

Leave did significantly better than expected among non-white voters. It was in the 'urban trendy' areas where Leave did worst.

Leave also did worse than expected in affluent parts of the Home Counties - but that can be explained on economic Conservative loyalty grounds.
    I think because Inner London contains areas with large numbers of ethnic minorites who arrived under New Labour-It is one of the few areas that still trusts Labour a lot and has a very good ground game(remember Nick. P's local anecdotes which this time turnout to be true) from the local Labour party, Labour's best membership are is now in areas like Islington and Haringey. The people there are much more likely to take their que from the Labour party whereas the Ethnic minorites from Ealing and Brent and Luton have been here for 2 or 3 generations so are much less likeley to take orders from the Labour party. There are fewer metropolitian type Labour party members in these areas aswell.
    How much did Ealing and Brent outpreform par according to Andy's spreadsheet out of interest? Thanx.
  • Options

That's right in my experience, and I've canvassed lots of them. Paul may know about Bedfordshire, but his knowledge of Islington seems sketchy.
    Out of curiosity why have you canvassed so many Islington estates ?

Was it a one off for the Mayoral and Referendum results or is it something you enjoy / are addicted to after your Broxtowe experiences ?
  • Options

To Swedish people of a different background and views to yourself you would feel the same hate filled bigotry as you do to the people of Sunderland.
    Yes that's right. But I cut corners for the sake of alliteration.
  • Options

It's people like you - who rather look after a narrow section of people who agree with you, wherever they may live in the world, rather than look after all the people of your own society (be it your city, nation, whatever) - why the West is so fcked.

Enjoy your new life hating your own countrymen. I suggest you go and move to your beloved EU.
    Ah, the first 'if you don't like living here etc' of the morning.

You seem to be directing a fair amount of personalised hate to at least one of your countrymen..
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    PlatoSaid said:

Zvi Lando
    Laugh or cry? Female candidate in elections poster shown as a basket of flowers. Photo taken in Aqaba, #Jordan https://t.co/5VjKLpVsxn #Marr

Rather Like the warning before you see the picture...

" The following media may contain sensitive material" .......

It's just like that though yet, not a peep from the normal complainers about western attitudes. That 's basically because they have never been there let alone lived there. Doubt they could even find these places on a map if they wanted to?
  • Options

Yes that's right. But I cut corners for the sake of alliteration.
    Be careful or you'll end up like Tyson and even watching sport will be dependent upon the participants presumed class background.
  • Options

Even Granita has gone I believe. These are dark times we live in :-)
  • Options
    David Paxton
    If I seem a little ungracious about such a human error, it's Keith Vaz. https://t.co/xeogU6Ot2o

Pithy on Salman Rusdie
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,350
    kle4 said:

As a general comment stings are regarded warily (I think they're illegal for the police in the US?) because the suspicion is that the offence wouldn't have happened without the journalist or police officer making the suggestion. The classic example is police infiltrators to potentially violent groups - they are not supposed to suggest acts of violence to the group, who might otherwise have just drunkenly debated how cool it would be to blow something up.

Where stings are more acceptable is if there is already suspicious evidence of illegal behaviour without the sting.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

I'll have a go at answering your question, Mr Tokyo. Putting on one side for a moment the practicalities, my view is that having the same regulations on matters such as product standards as the EU would be fine as long as those regulations suited the UK. If they, on a case by case basis, do not then we should be free to adapt, amend or reject them.

I am sure Japan has it own regulation on product standards and as far as I know nobody is demanding they be the same as those in the EU. Japan has trade rules and regulations that suit them, why should not the UK?
    Well trade harmonisation tends to come from above the EU in any case with the EU just using the WTO definitions and pushing them at an EU level (which is where our WTO membership is). I don't see much of an issue tbh.
  • Options

And SeanF seems to think Middlesbrough is a city and spelt Middlesborough ...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Indeed.

From my three years in an inner London Borough I'd suggest it's because London isn't a British city anymore. It's Sublimed from the United Kingdom.
  • Options

Have to admit the bit I know well is the southern end - clerkenwell etc. which is gentrifying at an astonishing pace
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Well trade harmonisation tends to come from above the EU in any case with the EU just using the WTO definitions and pushing them at an EU level (which is where our WTO membership is). I don't see much of an issue tbh.
    I don't see it as a big deal either but some seem to.
  • Options

I know. Isn't it terrible when the 52% impose their will on the 8%? That's the thing about democracy: if you want to lead against the people's instincts, you have to have a damn good explanation of why you're doing it. I gave my reasons why I was pro-EU; what's yours?
  • Options
    A genuinely interesting if sad contribution from Nicola Sturgeon on the sexual equality debate: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/nicola-sturgeon-tells-of-sorrow-over-miscarriage/ar-AAityJc?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=iehp

Would she be first Minister if she had not had a miscarriage? She is not sure.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited September 2016
    My approach to the EU is straightforward ....

I like German cars.

I don't like them telling me what flag I then have to display on the number plate.

:wink:
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Sandpit said:

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

I see the Mirror have the Keith Vaz story. Not quite as good as Mark Oaten, but not a bad effort.
    Now what will Labour say to make today worse for him than it is already?

Finally, the sleazy Vaz's career will be over. Resigning from the Home Affairs Committee today?
    Can we call him Keith Vazeline now?
    Very good. Man prefers bare back riding.
    Why is Vaz being stitched up? Frankly his private life is noone elses business. Where is the public interest in this story?
    If his own wife can't trust him to behave, why should the rest of us allow him to be in a position of responsibility?
    I don't really disagree but on the same basis we should not have LizTruss or any other adulterer in the Government.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

A genuinely interesting if sad contribution from Nicola Sturgeon on the sexual equality debate: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/nicola-sturgeon-tells-of-sorrow-over-miscarriage/ar-AAityJc?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=iehp

All those people who've made sneering comments about her being childless over the last few years must feel pretty cretinous right now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

May showing her inexperience today I think. Talks about optimism whilst clumsily saying "it won't be plain sailing".

Isn't politicians being more honest with the public something that the public keep asking for?
    It's the way she immediately put herself back on the optimism line that gives it away.
    I take it that you'd criticise this for giving out the same mixed messages then:?

We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark and lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: victory; victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Let that be realized; no survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge and impulse of the ages, that mankind will move forward towards its goal. But I take up my task with buoyancy and hope. I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail among men.
    Probably his greatest speech. Always reminds me of Aragon's speech at the Black Gate as well.
    I suspect that Aragon's speech reminds you of Churchill's. IIRC, neither of Aragorn's two 'Henry V' speeches are in the book so will have been written specifically for the film. I'd be amazed if they hadn't used Churchill's words as inspiration in some way.

FWIW, I think the Pellanor Fields is the better: "... but it is not this day!"
  • Options
    Are David Herdson's and HurstLlama's cats related ?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

There's a competition?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

All those people who've made sneering comments about her being childless over the last few years must feel pretty cretinous right now.
    They probably don't have the necessary level of self-awareness.
  • Options
    Another top day for Labour.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

When it comes to regulatory harmonisation, the EU is now becoming a receiver of standards, rather than inventor. The WTO Technical Barriers to Trade agreement which the EU is a signatory to raises standard acceptance to a global level wherever standards exist'. The USA digs its heels in and doesn't participate, but in everything from Tyres to consumer batteries to Psytosanitory regulations, it's all moving towards global harmonisation, sector by sector rather than nation by nation (the old supranational EU approach)

What Brexit does in this regard is to give Britain an independent voice at the table as these standards are being agreed, rather than being forced to take a pre agreed EU line (under article 34).
  • Options

Are David Herdson's and HurstLlama's cats related ?

Very distant cousins, possibly.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Your faith in human nature does you credit.

'Nicola is looking for the sympathy vote' apparently.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Yes, just as with Mr & Mrs Hague simplistic and cynical interpretations by people who don't know what they are talking about or the individual circumstances but are willing to believe the worst of another. This is almost on topic. Its the same problem.
  • Options

Out of curiosity why have you canvassed so many Islington estates ?

Was it a one off for the Mayoral and Referendum results or is it something you enjoy / are addicted to after your Broxtowe experiences ?

Nick is a member of the Islington North CLP, I believe.

• Options
    Looking at the numbers May must assess she is safe enough for a victory in 2020.What might disturb her is a collegiate cross-party alliance in England, which was suggested by Chris Mullen some time ago.It means realpolitiks.What is the point of standing against the LibDems in Westmoreland,the Greens in Brighton Pavilion or Labour in Islington North?
  • Options

It's a general thing - people see the big houses in inner London, but they tend not to see the big estates that are usually right round the corner. Of course, many of the big houses were also council places once upon a time.

This discussion has been closed.