Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whatever the rights and wrongs of “#Traingate” Corbyn needs

12346»

Comments

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Mulholland Drive? I don't think I've ever even heard of it. What's it about? (I only want the premise, not the actualité; if it sounds good enough I might go and buy the DVD).

I once heard a film review programme on the radio where the idiotic studio guest kept on saying "prim-EYES" instead of "PREM-iss".
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2016
    JohnLoony said:

Mulholland Drive? I don't think I've ever even heard of it. What's it about? (I only want the premise, not the actualité; if it sounds good enough I might go and buy the DVD).

I once heard a film review programme on the radio where the idiotic studio guest kept on saying "prim-EYES" instead of "PREM-iss".

You can't really describe the plot in a few words. If we told you what it is was about it would spoil it....And ultimately, its a David Lynch film, its about what you make it to be about.

PS...It is a very good movie. That and Lost Highway are my favourite of his movies.
  • Options
    For those wit missed it earlier:

Sunil's Great British Railway Journeys - 2016 edition (all routes wot Sunil did for the very first time):

August 2016:

Norwich to Sheringham
    Eastleigh to Salisbury via Romsey
    Wilmslow to Manchester Airport to Piccadilly
    Salisbury to Bath via Westbury
    Nottingham to Worskop

July 2016:

Ipswich to Felixstowe
    Sileby to Melton Mowbray
    Norwich to Great Yarmouth via Acle
    Great Yarmouth to Norwich via Berney Arms
    Gobowen to Chester via Wrexham
    Grantham to Skegness
    Nottingham to Lincoln
    Southampton Central to Weymouth
    Liverpool Lime Street to Wigan Northwestern via St Helens Central
    Gloucester to Newport
    Newport to Swindon

June 2016:

Ramsgate to Dover
    Peterborough to Lincoln
    NET tram (Nottingham) to Clifton South, Toton Lane and Phoenix Park
    Nottingham to Chesterfield
    Ipswich to Lowestoft

May 2016:

Bull Street to New Street (Midland Metro, Birmingham)
    Island Line (Ryde Pier Head to Shanklin)
    Barnham to Havant
    Bedhampton to Cosham
    Fareham to St Denys
    Stockport to Buxton
    Cambridge to Stowmarket
    Ely to Norwich

April 2016:

Thorpe-le-Soken to Walton-on-Naze
    Liverpool to Southport
    Ely to King's Lynn
    Selling to Dover

March 2016:

Matlock to Rowsley South (Peak Rail)
    Belper to Matlock
    Crowhurst to St Leonards
    Petersfield to Portsmouth Harbour
    Portsmouth Harbour to Eastleigh
    Polegate to Eastbourne
    Ford to Bognor Regis

February 2016:

Newhaven Harbour to Seaford
    Chester to Liverpool via Birkenhead
    Manchester Piccadilly to Ashton (Metrolink tram)
    NET tram (Nottingham) to Hucknall

January 2016:

Kidsgrove to Manchester Piccadilly
    Basingstoke to Salisbury
    Ashford to Eastbourne via Hastings
    Manningtree to Harwich
  • Options

Too late - I did King's Cross to Leeds in 2010, and Doncaster to Leuchars in 2012 :)

Sunil, have you done the Bunk Line between Cholsey and Wallingford in Oxfordshire? I think it may be within 50 miles of London....
    No I haven't though I have spied it from the train towards Didcot, branching away to the North. I'm prioritising the National Rail network and trams, but I have done Epping Ongar (I volunteered there 2012-13), Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch, Bluebell, and the Severn Valley. Oh and a very long time ago the Mid Hants, and also Snowdon.
    Oh and Peak Rail!!!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    JohnLoony said:

Mulholland Falls is a good movie.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Mulholland Drive best summed up...

If it were a painting, it would be hanging in Tate Modern rather than Tate Britain.

Its quite funny to note that it was originally suppose to be a series, but the big whigs deemed it far too slow paced for tv. Since when we now have Netflix and the like of House of Cards etc where pace is not of the essence.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

If it were a painting, it would be hanging in Tate Modern rather than Tate Britain.

Its quite funny to note that it was originally suppose to be a series, but the big whigs deemed it far too slow paced for tv. Since when we now have Netflix and the like of House of Cards etc where pace is not of the essence.

I'm sceptical about that anecdote. Twin Peaks from Lynch himself predated Netflix.
  • Options

Was not a big fan of Mulholland Drive - as I said Mulholland Falls is a good movie.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I'm sceptical about that anecdote. Twin Peaks from Lynch himself predated Netflix.

“Mulholland Drive” was supposed to be the pilot for an ABC TV series that was going to both make ABC the network of the moment and put Lynch back into a “Twin Peaks”-like limelight. Fat chance. The network approved the script, but balked when execs saw the two-hour-plus result. Lynch apparently tried to slice off the last 40 minutes, but the network didn’t like that either. He eventually found a French film company, Studio Canal, to put up some money. He reassembled the cast, filmed some more and created the feature version out now.
    http://www.salon.com/2001/10/24/mulholland_drive_analysis/

Talking of Twin Peaks...its back next year...with a mere 217 actors.
  • Options

“Mulholland Drive” was supposed to be the pilot for an ABC TV series that was going to both make ABC the network of the moment and put Lynch back into a “Twin Peaks”-like limelight. Fat chance. The network approved the script, but balked when execs saw the two-hour-plus result. Lynch apparently tried to slice off the last 40 minutes, but the network didn’t like that either. He eventually found a French film company, Studio Canal, to put up some money. He reassembled the cast, filmed some more and created the feature version out now.
    http://www.salon.com/2001/10/24/mulholland_drive_analysis/

Talking of Twin Peaks...its back next year...with a mere 217 actors.

I suspect the new Twin Peaks will be to the original Twin Peaks what the atrocious new version of Ben-Hur is to the Charlton Heston classic.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

the big whigs deemed it far too slow paced for tv.

Typical!

No patience...the Tories on the other hand.....
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37167253

Is Smith really so stupid?

It would appear so.

Labour's position on the triggering of A50 is neither here nor there. Posturing like this makes him look both foolish and anti-democratic. Neither of these things make him more electable.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

It would appear so.

Labour's position on the triggering of A50 is neither here nor there. Posturing like this makes him look both foolish and anti-democratic. Neither of these things make him more electable.

That'll get their UKIP defectors back........
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

It would appear so.

That'll get their UKIP defectors back........
    Maybe he's thinking more about splits/defections to the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MTimT said:
    a “marathon sex session” with Brazilian canoeist Pedro Gonçalves

You can have your kayak and eat it too? :smile:
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

The diving the next day was a bit off ...
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

They muffed it, so to speak.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

:open_mouth::blush:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

:open_mouth::blush:
    No fluffing here....! ;)

Ah, my coat! :D
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,978
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Sounds painful. In fact, it kinda lingers... :)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

JohnLoony said:

You can't really describe the plot in a few words. If we told you what it is was about it would spoil it....And ultimately, its a David Lynch film, its about what you make it to be about.

PS...It is a very good movie. That and Lost Highway are my favourite of his movies.
    Cannot really describe the plot and is about what you make it to be about? So it is confirmed to be self indulgent clap trap then.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited August 2016
    'Mulholland Drive' is the outstanding film since 2000. With variable length 'beginning', 'middle' and 'end' it is a film you are drawn to watch again. It is only then that you appreciate the tradegy that is being observed.

Some say it is too artistic but I disagree: The symbolism of the second - theatre - scene/phase heralds a 'Tess of the Durbyvilles' ending.

Good to see another favourite, 'No Country for Old Men' feature high. Would like to see the full list as 'Watchmen' and 'Zatoichi' deserve to be mentioned as well.
  • Options
    Mulholland Drive = 8.0/10 on IMDB
  • Options
    kle4 said:

JohnLoony said:

Cannot really describe the plot and is about what you make it to be about? So it is confirmed to be self indulgent clap trap then.
    Ah! Mr Introspection.

That is the beauty of this style of film when it works - so often it doesn't.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    MTimT said:

kle4 said:

JohnLoony said:

Ah! Mr Introspection.

That is the beauty of this style of film when it works - so often it doesn't.
    I'll take your word for it. It certainly sounds harder to pull off.
This discussion has been closed.