Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whatever the rights and wrongs of “#Traingate” Corbyn needs

Comments

• Options
    Charles said:

They have the economy of scale and in house experts to cope with it whereas medium size and smaller companies are stuffed and often have to withdraw a cheap product that has been sold for years or decades because the sales won't justify the cost of the new regulatory test, leaving the field clear for multinationals to sell a much more expensive and sometimes inferior product.

It can't be hard to name a specific example of this happening then?
    Herbal medicines.

They don't work more than placebo but consumers like them. The big pharma with their switch Cx businesses didn't...
    Any gardener will be able to wax lyrical on the subject too. Most non agri industrial weedkillers and heritage seeds off the market and illegal to sell due to being uneconomic due to tests and registration fees needed thanks to new regulations.

For some veg it is virtually impossible to get non F1 varieties. With F1 the plants don't breed true and the crops all crop at once which is fine for business but a disaster on the veg patch.

Then you can move further afield in the world things like copyright lockout periods that are mysteriously legislatively extended everytime you reach the end of a lockout period after a certain producers death meaning the copyright holder is about to lose the exclusive rights over the product....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

I seem to recall a train journey giving Osborne a spot of PR bother. Entertaining though this sort of thing is, the net political effect is probably zero.

I see Osborne has now moved his family into his parents' house in Notting Hill while he waits for tenants to vacate the property he let out as Chancellor
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    nunu said:
    Does anyone know why those recommendations to stockpile food & water were issued? Surely anything like that affecting Germany would affect the rest of Europe as well, including the UK? What are they afraid of, so (seemingly) suddenly?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Corbyn clearly was playing the story in my view. Everyone knows that if you jump on a train you may not get a seat. This will always be true. I suspect almost everyone knows that it's vital to book on many routes at certain times. Corbyn and team were clearly trying to invent a story.

However it may well be true that they couldn't sit down. I certainly wouldn't take Virgin's assurances as fact.

So we have the following - either Corbyn was playing politics in a rather pathetic fashion, or, he and his team - the guys that think they can run the country, can't effectively book train tickets.

• Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited August 2016
    AnneJGP said:

nunu said:
    Does anyone know why those recommendations to stockpile food & water were issued? Surely anything like that affecting Germany would affect the rest of Europe as well, including the UK? What are they afraid of, so (seemingly) suddenly?
    Merkels a prepper?

It is rather odd. Stockpiling 5 days water and 10 days food would be an expensive PITA and if you are in a flat where would you put it?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Pulpstar said:

Sir Anthony Jay, co-writer of Yes Minister had sadly died.

A brave decision! - and cheers for the entertainment, RIP.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited August 2016

Charles said:

They have the economy of scale and in house experts to cope with it whereas medium size and smaller companies are stuffed and often have to withdraw a cheap product that has been sold for years or decades because the sales won't justify the cost of the new regulatory test, leaving the field clear for multinationals to sell a much more expensive and sometimes inferior product.

It can't be hard to name a specific example of this happening then?
    Herbal medicines.

They don't work more than placebo but consumers like them. The big pharma with their switch Cx businesses didn't...
    That's a Mickey Mouse argument. I don't believe you!

:innocent:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Pulpstar said:

Sir Anthony Jay, co-writer of Yes Minister had sadly died.

Truly someone who had a genuine impact upon our political culture, via the medium of satirizing it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,068

I seem to recall a train journey giving Osborne a spot of PR bother. Entertaining though this sort of thing is, the net political effect is probably zero.

The conversations on here about that were brilliant.

Come back Tim, all is forgiven!
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Traingate, not surprised Richard Branson stepped in, when a senior politician trashes your brand for political ends.
    I am old enough to remember BR on the West coast line, it was dire. I once came North from Euston(obviously), and we were like cattle class,standing all the way , like a very crowded lift,like being on the underground at rush hour, but for 3 hours.
    Now the Pendolino's are fantastic,anyone wanting to go back to the old BR days has a problem.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    AnneJGP said:

nunu said:
    They're just reviewing their CIvil Defence policy. It's Germany's equivalent of a silly season story, hence pictures of Hamsers all over the German press.
  • Options
    Charles said:

<

Innocent face?
  • Options
    According to never wrong Wikipedia, 'Silly Season' in other countries is sometimes called 'Cucumber time'.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Corbyn clearly was playing the story in my view. Everyone knows that if you jump on a train you may not get a seat. This will always be true. I suspect almost everyone knows that it's vital to book on many routes at certain times. Corbyn and team were clearly trying to invent a story.

However it may well be true that they couldn't sit down. I certainly wouldn't take Virgin's assurances as fact.

So we have the following - either Corbyn was playing politics in a rather pathetic fashion, or, he and his team - the guys that think they can run the country, can't effectively book train tickets.

I would not take Virgins account as fact either, but they are way more efficient at the PR game, and do not make stupid errors like the Corbyn team>
    Yes you are right ,if you cannot efficiently book a train ticket in advance,what chance to run the economy.
  • Options

Charles said:

<

Innocent face?
    Yep.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    kle4 said:

According to never wrong Wikipedia, 'Silly Season' in other countries is sometimes called 'Cucumber time'.

Is that down to Killer Cucumbers of a few years ago?
  • Options
    Mike Smithson = TORY! :lol:
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    jayfdee said:

Traingate, not surprised Richard Branson stepped in, when a senior politician trashes your brand for political ends.
    I am old enough to remember BR on the West coast line, it was dire. I once came North from Euston(obviously), and we were like cattle class,standing all the way , like a very crowded lift,like being on the underground at rush hour, but for 3 hours.
    Now the Pendolino's are fantastic,anyone wanting to go back to the old BR days has a problem.

The Virgin Voyagers at pieces of shit. Literally in the case of their curious positioning of air conditioning and effluence pipes. Give me an old clap and bang on a 125 an day of the week over them.
  • Options

Not so

@MikeSmithson #Traingate isn't as entertaining as the time Osborne was seen travelling to London in a 1st class seat without 1st class ticket
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

Shouldn't think so, the term was coined in 1861. - More likely a reference to lazy summer days, picnics and cucumbers sandwiches on the lawn.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

Shouldn't think so, the term was coined in 1861. - More likely a reference to lazy summer days, picnics and cucumbers sandwiches on the lawn.
    Thought it was because the stories are tasty but lacking in substance or nutritional value?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    AnneJGP said:

nunu said:
    Putin.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

jayfdee said:

The Virgin Voyagers at pieces of shit. Literally in the case of their curious positioning of air conditioning and effluence pipes. Give me an old clap and bang on a 125 an day of the week over them.
    Those 125s have the most comfortable seat-angles I've ever found on a train. It sometimes sounds as though the criticisms of those trains boils down to the fact of their age. I don't care how old the train is, I just want to make a journey reasonably comfortably.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited August 2016
    jayfdee said:

Omnium said:

I would not take Virgins account as fact either, but they are way more efficient at the PR game, and do not make stupid errors like the Corbyn team>
    Yes you are right ,if you cannot efficiently book a train ticket in advance,what chance to run the economy.
    Given the fact he was attending an event that had been organised days earlier the fact Corbyn bought a turn up and go ticket on the day surely makes it worse rather than better...

Disingenuous, disorganized, incompetent would be words I would use to describe the journey even before the tricks he played...

At least there was video evidence to exonerate the train staff from the cause of the issue...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

jayfdee said:

Are those the ones which grind to a halt if they get doused in sea-spray? Something to do with salt water on the roof?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

jayfdee said:

No idea what a Virgin voyager is, but the Pendolinos are excellent. I am not a PB train expert, but I have experience of BR, and they were dire.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    jayfdee said:

Omnium said:

The tricky thing for Virgin is that people were standing, which was the key point Corbyn was trying to make. They are a little vague on that point. My guess is that the train was fully booked, but between the first come, first served seats that can't be booked and people who hadn't taken up their reservations, there were just enough seats to accommodate everyone if you moved them around the carriages.
  • Options
    nunu said:

AnneJGP said:

nunu said:
    Putin.
    He has been making noises similar to those he made before invading two regions of sovereign European nations, he might be thinking about an all out war with Ukraine.

http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/bread-basket-europe.html
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

The WC was really mucked up by the APT not going into Squadron service, and BR's investment in the East Coast route - electrification and the Class 89/91 to take advantage. All the WC got was a few Class 90's.

The West Coast suffered from the APT's cancellation. It was only twenty years later when the disastrous WC modernisation scheme took place that it got the attention it badly needed.

Here's another of Jessop's useless facts: if you're ever in a MkIV carriage on the East Coast and feel a little cramped, it's because the sides are built sloping so that they could be made to tilt in the future.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    AnneJGP said:

Alistair said:

jayfdee said:

Those 125s have the most comfortable seat-angles I've ever found on a train. It sometimes sounds as though the criticisms of those trains boils down to the fact of their age. I don't care how old the train is, I just want to make a journey reasonably comfortably.
    Come 2020 they will cease to be compliant with disability legislation. Some will be made compliant for use in Scotland and perhaps in Southern England. Hopefully the Hitachi 800/801s are better than the dreadful Voyagers.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    edited August 2016
    My main memory of the WCML was as a student from 98 - 01, Bath Uni parents lived back in Coventry.

Edit: I see they finished in 2008 ! Sweet Jesus..

The 'upgrades' seemed to go on forever... , like the M1 works round near J31 where I live now. The southbound ones are over, thankfully.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,902
    edited August 2016
    jayfdee said:

Alistair said:

jayfdee said:

No idea what a Virgin voyager is, but the Pendolinos are excellent. I am not a PB train expert, but I have experience of BR, and they were dire.
    Sorry, but in comparison to German trains (which I've used a lot), British trains are cramped, slow and, in the case of Virgin Voyagers, frequently smelly. They feel like they were designed exclusively for 5-footers and there's often nowhere to put your luggage.
  • Options

Here's another of Jessop's useless facts: if you're ever in a MkIV carriage on the East Coast and feel a little cramped, it's because the sides are built sloping so that they could be made to tilt in the future.

It's been ages since I've been in one (though will be going in one in October), but now that you mention it that makes sense. When I saw the pictures of Corbyn today I thought "wait, that's a Pendolino as the sides are sloping."
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    tlg86 said:

AnneJGP said:

Alistair said:

jayfdee said:

Come 2020 they will cease to be compliant with disability legislation. Some will be made compliant for use in Scotland and perhaps in Southern England. Hopefully the Hitachi 800/801s are better than the dreadful Voyagers.
    Never found a more comfortable seat than on the 125.

A few years ago the power failed for a short time on a 444 I was on. Suddenly we couldn't operate internal doors. What is this obsession with making *doors* electronic...
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

#Traingate looks like an outrageous stitch-up from the billionaire owner of a multinational corporation with an agenda (preventing renationalization of trains and ignoring Brexit) to me.

Stick to your guns Jezza!

I don't understand the logic. Buying Corbyn's explanation or not, and whatever the motivations of Branson and the rights or wrongs of releasing the footage, Corbyn's initial presentation of the situation was, at its most generous, misleading.
    A wonderful salute to Yes Minister, bravo!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    FF43 said:

jayfdee said:

Omnium said:

The tricky thing for Virgin is that people were standing, which was the key point Corbyn was trying to make. They are a little vague on that point. My guess is that the train was fully booked, but between the first come, first served seats that can't be booked and people who hadn't taken up their reservations, there were just enough seats to accommodate everyone if you moved them around the carriages.
    That's not really a problem for them. Some people make the choice to stand because they don't feel like taking up the seats where reservations have not emerged, or are just plain too awkward to ask someone to move aside so they can get to the window seat that is spare, or maybe they just feel like standing (I've done all those myself), but that doesn't mean the train was unable to accommodate everyone sitting down if they had made the effort. If Jeremy had wanted a seat he could have had one, therefore his point that he had no choice but to sit because the railway wasn't nationalised, is untrue. There were seats, therefore the train was not jam packed, therefore he oversold his point.

Plenty of times the point would have been a valid, so his action was creating a simulation of a real issue, but he pretended it was happening right then.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited August 2016
    tlg86 said:

AnneJGP said:

Alistair said:

jayfdee said:

They are based on the HST Javelins class 395 down to Ashford...

See http://www.hitachirail-eu.com/hitachi-class-800-series-train-selected-by-dft-_108.html

I'm still trying to wangle a visit down to the Newton Aycliffe factory. Been promised it for ages just haven't been able to agree a suitable time yet..
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

Alistair said:

jayfdee said:

The Voyager are the class 220 and 221s that Virgin operate(d). They only have the 221s on their West Coast franchise and they do the London to Scotland routes. The seats are deeply uncomfortable and exceeding cramped. Frequent air-conditioning problems (pumping out hot air on a 30 degree day) as well as design faults (the air con circulating the smell from the toilets). The Pendolinos are fine machines but the Voyagers are garbage.
  • Options

jayfdee said:

Alistair said:

jayfdee said:

Sorry, but in comparison to German trains (which I've used a lot), British trains are cramped, slow and, in the case of Virgin Voyagers, frequently smelly. They feel like they were designed exclusively for 5-footers and there's often nowhere to put your luggage.
    Oh god, I forgot about that. Sod all luggage space on trains that are crossing the length of the country as an intercity express! Madness.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:

AnneJGP said:

Alistair said:

jayfdee said:

A few years ago the power failed for a short time on a 444 I was on. Suddenly we couldn't operate internal doors. What is this obsession with making *doors* electronic...
    :smile: I'd like to know how many people have been suddenly exposed to view when using an on-train loo with electronic doors. Someone should do a survey ...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Pulpstar said:

My main memory of the WCML was as a student from 98 - 01, Bath Uni parents lived back in Coventry.

Edit: I see they finished in 2008 ! Sweet Jesus..

The 'upgrades' seemed to go on forever... , like the M1 works round near J31 where I live now. The southbound ones are over, thankfully.

It is one of the biggest arguments for HS2: the WCML upgrade cost around £10 billion, which I think was five times the original cost. It took years longer than planned, and only took the speed from 110MPH to 125 MPH, not the 140 MPH requirement.

The APT-S was supposed to run at 155 MPH.

It's hard for any engineering project to meet the holy trinity of being on requirement, on time and on budget. Most miss one. That project missed all three.

The reason: it's devillishly disruptive, expensive and hard to upgrade an existing railway line between services. As people are finding on the GWML electrification scheme.

They should just have completely closed the line for six months rather than give passengers nearly a decade of disruption.
  • Options
    The great thing about the Intercity 125 is that the power cars are at each end, rather than having the engines vibrating underneath the carriages. One of the more encouraging railway stories of recent times is the decision to build proper carriages to be pulled by proper locomotives for the Trans Pennine route.
  • Options
    Noteworthy the BBC story on the sad passing of Sir Anthony Jay does not shy away from him, apparently, being an outspoken critic of the BBC in later years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37167744
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    AnneJGP said:

Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:

AnneJGP said:

Alistair said:

jayfdee said:

:smile: I'd like to know how many people have been suddenly exposed to view when using an on-train loo with electronic doors. Someone should do a survey ...
    I once walked in on someone who had failed to lock the door. I didn't think this was my fault...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018
    My main objection to Virgin Trains is that message about not flushing your dreams, unpaid bills etc down the toilet. I admit it was mildly amusing the first time I saw it, but it really grates with repetition.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899
    tlg86 said:

The great thing about the Intercity 125 is that the power cars are at each end, rather than having the engines vibrating underneath the carriages. One of the more encouraging railway stories of recent times is the decision to build proper carriages to be pulled by proper locomotives for the Trans Pennine route.

The prototype 125 is operating at GCRN.

Attended a talk by the 125 restoration group last week.

It was fabulous.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

tlg86 said:

It was fabulous.

My favourite train!

... one anorak please!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

It was fabulous.
    Isn't that the group that wants to preserve an entire 125? They've shown they've got technical nous with that brilliant work on the prototype.

To bring this onto politics: it's interesting to see how much BR managed to do technically in the 1960s and 1970s despite low funding and little political will.

And I'm not just saying this because much of it was done at Derby ;)
  • Options
    On topic. Corbyn can tell as many lies as he wants. Only if/when he offends against PC shibboleths will he shake the faith of the Corbynistas.

Having said that, I agree with Don Brind that the election is not a foregone conclusion (on the basis that the true believers all signed up last year, and I think many of the more recent joiners have joined to vote against him).
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Underfloor engines don't have to be intrusive. I've travelled a few times on the ICE 3 between Cologne and Frankfurt, and that train is spookily smooth as it hurtles along at 190 mph. You can even wander up to the front and look (through a glass partition) over the driver's shoulder and out the windscreen if you fancy!
  • Options
    Funny story from the 125 group last week.

One of the units failed on a Sheffield to London 125 just outside Bedford.

The conductor announces he has good news and bad news.

Bad news the last 50 miles are going to take over an hour ie at least 25 mins late.

Good news

Were not at 40,000 ft
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    kle4 said:

Not so

@MikeSmithson #Traingate isn't as entertaining as the time Osborne was seen travelling to London in a 1st class seat without 1st class ticket
    Yup and as entertaining as Labour spads removing antimacassars (thanks again Marquee Mark) to hide the fact they were in first class.

In my opinion Osborne's" offence"was the least awful by a loooooong way.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Underfloor engines don't have to be intrusive. I've travelled a few times on the ICE 3 between Cologne and Frankfurt, and that train is spookily smooth as it hurtles along at 190 mph. You can even wander up to the front and look (through a glass partition) over the driver's shoulder and out the windscreen if you fancy!
    Voyager's are diesel-powered.
    ICE3 is electric.

(I think!)
  • Options
    Let us not be like France.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Voyager's are diesel-powered.
    ICE3 is electric.

(I think!)
    Ah. Good point!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

it wasn't entirely fake. There are lots of witnesses saying it was chokka

It appears Jeremy's key witness, the one they quote in their own press release, is a Momentum campaign organiser.

Entirely impartial observer there by total coincidence of course...
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    FF43 said:

jayfdee said:

Omnium said:

Surely untaken reservations are fair game. Many people miss their train or get on and find a more convenient unreserved seat. Even more legitimate is to occupy a seat that is reserved from a station further down the line, and seek to move when another passenger gets off.
  • Options

FF43 said:

jayfdee said:

Omnium said:

Surely untaken reservations are fair game. Many people miss their train or get on and find a more convenient unreserved seat. Even more legitimate is to occupy a seat that is reserved from a station further down the line, and seek to move when another passenger gets off.
    Quite. Not all reserved seats are for someone with an advanced ticket (i.e. one that has to be used on that specific train). Often a seat will be reserved on a train but the ticket is transferable (particularly for business travel) which means many apparently reserved seats aren't used by the person with the reservation.
  • Options
    I am glad I am part of a community that hates the Voyager class as much as I do.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

jayfdee said:

Omnium said:

Quite. Not all reserved seats are for someone with an advanced ticket (i.e. one that has to be used on that specific train). Often a seat will be reserved on a train but the ticket is transferable (particularly for business travel) which means many apparently reserved seats aren't used by the person with the reservation.
    It's not even worth arguing about. He's been caught hook, line and sinker. Best to admit it, rather than to claim that all the clearly visible empty seats were occupied by bags and children (as his spokeswoman has been doing).
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

jayfdee said:

Omnium said:

It's not even worth arguing about. He's been caught hook, line and sinker. Best to admit it, rather than to claim that all the clearly visible empty seats were occupied by bags and children (as his spokeswoman has been doing).
    He will NEVER admit it.. EVER.
  • Options
    @jeremyduns: 'Can you all just wait here, kids? With the bags? I'm off to the loo, and so is everyone else in this carriage. Just you kids stay here.'

Can we open a book on how many mentions this gets at PMQs?

"I have a question from Bill, who's a train conductor..."
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

it wasn't entirely fake. There are lots of witnesses saying it was chokka

It appears Jeremy's key witness, the one they quote in their own press release, is a Momentum campaign organiser.

Entirely impartial observer there by total coincidence of course...
    LOL, did they not think anyone would look him up? They really are incompetent idiots.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

jayfdee said:

Omnium said:

Absolutely right. This is a media conspiracy. They are doctored images. He was just making a point. Your questioning of his integrity demeans the important message he was making. You're just TORY SCUM aren't you?
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    edited August 2016

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

jayfdee said:

Omnium said:

Politicians (and people who comment on political forums) NEVER admit they are wrong... EVER

I find "Ram packed" instead of "jam packed" the most annoying thing about this. No one says "Ram packed" do they?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Corbyn's rail travails ....

I blame JohnO. Tories causing mayhem on the network.
  • Options
    Just watched the Nicola Murray on a train episode of The Thick of It.

While in general it has aged well, and some parts might even be considered topical, it contains a major howler in the plot.

The Leader of the opposition resigns when one of her backbenchers resigns, "having lost the support of the party"

Kids today would be bemused by such a notion
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

jayfdee said:

Omnium said:

The tr carriages.
    Quite. Non.
    Politicians (and people who comment on political forums) NEVER admit they are wrong... EVER

I find "Ram packed" instead of "jam packed" the most annoying thing about this. No one says "Ram packed" do they?
    All the time. Only when I'm packing Rams, admittedly.

I counter your first point though - I was very wrong to state so unequivocally so many times that Lab would easily win most seats in 2015.

The reason Corbyn cannot admit he was wrong is because if he wasn't wholly correct, then what he was doing was being slightly misleading to make what he feels is a worthy point. That is, spinning.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

jayfdee said:

Omnium said:

Absolutely right. This is a media conspiracy. They are doctored images. He was just making a point. Your questioning of his integrity demeans the important message he was making. You're just TORY SCUM aren't you?
    The saying 'a photo never lies' really needs updating:

'A photo never lies, unless it is disproved by phone-camera video.'
    and
    'A Phone-camera video never lies, unless it is disproved by CCTV.'
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The reason Corbyn cannot admit he was wrong is because if he wasn't wholly correct, then what he was doing was being slightly misleading to make what he feels is a worthy point. That is, spinning.

I wonder how Ed Miliband spends his days now. Shouting a swearing at the television?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Bad news the last 50 miles are going to take over an hour ie at least 25 mins late.

Good news

Were not at 40,000 ft

On that note I was at Gatwick this afternoon to collect my boy and whilst waiting I studied the arrivals board. Almost no flight was due to arrive at their scheduled time. Some were with a few minutes either way but most were more than five minutes late, some several hours. If the railway companies were so bad at keeping to their time table there would be uproar and refunds all round. Yet because it is aeroplanes nobody seems to care.

I might also note the length of time to deliver the baggage to the reclaim area. With some flights it was there within ten minutes of landing with others it was thirty minutes plus. Gatwick is not that big for the distance from stand to baggage belt to make that much difference.

We rightly demand high standards from the railways but seem oblivious to the crap service by the airlines. I am not sure why.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    SeanT said:

MontyHall said:

Yes, they can't even get the words right. It's either "rammed" or "jam-packed". Dolts.
    New witnesses back Corbyn:

http://crossbreezefarm.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/ramswalking15482811_std.360122740.jpg
  • Options
    Not the first time jezza has made a twat of himself over trains...are single sex carriages still an official policy?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    Partially on-topic, I have never heard the phrase 'ram-packed' before. 'Rammed', or 'Jam-packed', but not 'ram-packed'. Is this just a regional thing?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

It was fabulous.
    Isn't that the group that wants to preserve an entire 125? They've shown they've got technical nous with that brilliant work on the prototype.

They do but waiting for one to be offloaded by a train operator.

Then they fit an original engine of which they have a few to get that famous whistling back
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

Alistair said:

jayfdee said:

Dire is an exaggeration and they cost the Exchequer £1 bn a year as againat £5 bn a year while charging half as much or less in fares.

You get what you pay for.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MontyHall said:

tlg86 said:

FF43 said:

jayfdee said:

Omnium said:

Yes, they can't even get the words right. It's either "rammed" or "jam-packed". Dolts.
    That £30k a year education was wasted on Seamus!
  • Options

Good news

Were not at 40,000 ft

On that note I was at Gatwick this afternoon to collect my boy and whilst waiting I studied the arrivals board. Almost no flight was due to arrive at their scheduled time. Some were with a few minutes either way but most were more than five minutes late, some several hours. If the railway companies were so bad at keeping to their time table there would be uproar and refunds all round. Yet because it is aeroplanes nobody seems to care.

I might also note the length of time to deliver the baggage to the reclaim area. With some flights it was there within ten minutes of landing with others it was thirty minutes plus. Gatwick is not that big for the distance from stand to baggage belt to make that much difference.

We rightly demand high standards from the railways but seem oblivious to the crap service by the airlines. I am not sure why.
    Because we secretly know in the backs of our minds that any flight on a jet aircraft is a miracle of engineering that should really be impossible, and we cut them some slack for that reason?

Or:

Because we have little choice: it's either this poor airline or that poor airline, or a pedal-boat?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

I wonder how Ed Miliband spends his days now. Shouting a swearing at the television?
    He's the Member of Parliament for Doncaster North :)
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Partially on-topic, I have never heard the phrase 'ram-packed' before. 'Rammed', or 'Jam-packed', but not 'ram-packed'. Is this just a regional thing?

It just shows Corbyn's ignorance of the fine rural tradition of 'Ramming' and the dynamic small jam making businesses providing work for many Jam-packers, by trivializing them.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Making a twat of himself getting half the facts wrong about brighthouse.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

AnneJGP said:

nunu said:
    Putin.
    He has been making noises similar to those he made before invading two regions of sovereign European nations, he might be thinking about an all out war with Ukraine.

http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/bread-basket-europe.html
    Thats the price of EU trying to recreate the treaty of Brest-Litovsk.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Presumably it's been discussed, but what is it exactly about nationalisation that makes it the answer to overcrowding on trains? Presumably it's some rubbish about Private companies deliberately not running enough trains in order to maximise income vs costs but this is generally clearly rubbish. So doesn't it basically come down to reducing quality of service in order to make trains less popular?

Of course the reality is nothing about improving the service for customers, but simply an affront that train companies should be run at a profit.
  • Options
    Brilliant media management Seamus, you have managed to knock Team GB story off the top of the news agenda. That takes real talent.
  • Options

Brilliant media management Seamus, you have managed to knock Team GB story off the top of the news agenda. That takes real talent.

He fell behind during Brexit when that took prominence, but he's really been excellent at getting Jeremy in the news ever since he was leader. Silly season stories have abounded year round, which provides welcome relief.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790

FF43 said:

jayfdee said:

Omnium said:

There's no problem at all with occupying reserved seats that aren't taken. But it explains how a train can be overcrowded with people standing and yet there are seats available. It means Virgin aren't entirely straightforward with their spin either. They could have said, yes, people were standing and we found them all seats. But that wasn't the story they wanted to put across.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Personally it's him I blame for the current mess rather than Corbyn. i.e. Who's more responsible for what happens when an imbecile gets power: the imbecile, or the man who made it possible for an imbecile to govern?
  • Options
    alex. said:

Presumably it's been discussed, but what is it exactly about nationalisation that makes it the answer to overcrowding on trains? Presumably it's some rubbish about Private companies deliberately not running enough trains in order to maximise income vs costs but this is generally clearly rubbish. So doesn't it basically come down to reducing quality of service in order to make trains less popular?

Of course the reality is nothing about improving the service for customers, but simply an affront that train companies should be run at a profit.

When the shadow minister was challengd on this on sky over this, He couldn't clearly answer any question on this topic over than to repeatedly state that train staff have world class expertise.
  • Options
    I've often been on trains where on the face of it there is no seat with people standing and sitting on floors. It is not unusual to discover that there are in fact half empty (non-first class) carriages at the extremity of the train but people can't be bothered to go looking for them, and ultimately are prepared to put up with the incovenience for an hour. That's hardly the fault of the train operator.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He fell behind during Brexit when that took prominence, but he's really been excellent at getting Jeremy in the news ever since he was leader. Silly season stories have abounded year round, which provides welcome relief.
    The vice documentary was my particular highlight... you organise for a journo who openly states he is a big fan & end up managing to alienate him & ask him to leave.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Personally it's him I blame for the current mess rather than Corbyn. i.e. Who's more responsible for what happens when an imbecile gets power: the imbecile, or the man who made it possible for an imbecile to govern?
    The people who were told he would be awful but voted for him anyway - the voters.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

It just shows Corbyn's ignorance of the fine rural tradition of 'Ramming' and the dynamic small jam making businesses providing work for many Jam-packers, by trivializing them.
    I look forward to him criticising Theresa May for promising 'ram tomorrow'.
  • Options
    Personally i quite like Virgin trains. Their "Tilting ale" is excellent and not particularly pricey. It's actually sometimes quite a shock how relatively cheap the products in their buffet service are.

• Options

jayfdee said:

Alistair said:

jayfdee said:

Dire is an exaggeration and they cost the Exchequer £1 bn a year as againat £5 bn a year while charging half as much or less in fares.

You get what you pay for.
    That's slightly disingenuous.

Firstly, the 1 billion is taking a very good year pre-privatisation. I can't find the document atm, but I've linked to it before on here. I think some years were two or more billion.

Secondly, the £5 billion includes new infrastructure spending such as Crossrail and GWML electrification;

Thirdly, passenger numbers have doubled.

Fourthly, as a whole the privatised companies are returning money to the treasury. The money sink is the nationalised Network Rail. The same could not be said under BR, where (I think) only Intercity was profitable.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Good news

Were not at 40,000 ft

Because we secretly know in the backs of our minds that any flight on a jet aircraft is a miracle of engineering that should really be impossible, and we cut them some slack for that reason?

Or:

Because we have little choice: it's either this poor airline or that poor airline, or a pedal-boat?
    Evening, Mr. J.,

Your second option doesn't really work because we have even less choice with the railways and yet have an independent regulator who monitors performance, imposes fines, enforces refunds and all sorts of other stuff.

I suppose you first one might work, but after 60 years of commercial jet travel surely the miracle bit should have worn off by now.
  • Options
    alex. said:

I've often been on trains where on the face of it there is no seat with people standing and sitting on floors. It is not unusual to discover that there are in fact half empty (non-first class) carriages at the extremity of the train but people can't be bothered to go looking for them, and ultimately are prepared to put up with the incovenience for an hour. That's hardly the fault of the train operator.

It would be good if they had indicators like in modern carparks to tell you how many empty seats there are in each carriage. It would also provide very useful data for train operators.
This discussion has been closed.