Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As LAB members prepare to vote a reminder of the demographi

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    edited August 2016
    MattW said:

Has anyone got a Tyson-in-a-Huff emoticon?

Presumably not a "smiley"?

>:(
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Bloody hell, we really COULD beat China

CHINA

If our athletes were as good as our cyclists, we might have been number 1.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    welshowl said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Twilight Sparkle is NOT in favour of secession. She is a Princess and would hate to see the people of Ponyville divided.
    :smiley:
    What is it about you using these stupid cartoon smiley faces all the time? Have you regressed beyond kindergarten. Grow up for once.
    You seem tetchy

Tell me that adults posting these childish, puerile, immature icons to other adults on a (sort of) serious site, isn't a bit sad, pathetic, annoying, grating whatever. I bet I am not alone here.

They're just emoticons, calm down. I use them very sparingly myself, but why let it bother you so much? I'd say the same to anyone who tells me I cannot split an infinitive and other pointless things to get worked up about.

And personally I'd say the lack of seriousness, or rather the ability to puncture otherwise intense and serious political back and forthing with light hearted badinage and silliness, is a hallmark of PB and essential to keeping those political moments less highly charged, or at least not permanently charged.
    Well said
    Yeah, we have to be able to have a bit of fun at times. I remember it getting awfully serious and quite unpleasant on here at times in the run up to the vote.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    Still an outside change we could match our Gold tally from our home games? Mo, a couple in the boxing perhaps, taekwando, any others? Would be an amazing achievement, especially since we weren't able to defend a couple like in Long Jump and Heptathlon.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

What on earth is that tacky little statue thing. Only place that should be going is in the bin.

Apparently they are 3d "artistic" representation of the logo...I have seen less tat sold by lucky lucky men wandering the beaches of the Costa del Sol.
    I would rate the person who politely declines one.
    The number of athletes who I have seen with massive smiles on their faces, they get the medal they are over the moon, then this piece of shit is presented to them and their face screws up in a WTF is this like, somebody has just handed them a poop a scoop bag.
    I decided to Google the statues and found this gem:

"The models are actually little 3D-printed versions of the Rio 2016 logo, apparently designed to hold and display the Olympic medal."

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-08-19/what-are-the-little-rio-2016-statues-the-athletes-are-given-during-the-medal-ceremonies
    That's actually pretty cool!
  • Options

SeanT said:

CHINA

Not without more swimming golds. Too many varieties of swimming skews the table.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited August 2016

SeanT said:

CHINA

Gives us something to aim for in 2020! :smiley:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2016
    kle4 said:

Still an outside change we could match our Gold tally from our home games? Mo, a couple in the boxing perhaps, taekwando, any others? Would be an amazing achievement, especially since we weren't able to defend a couple like in Long Jump and Heptathlon.

Spirit Kayak final, our guy is one of the fastest, but the margins are like the 50m mens freestyle (swimming).

And women's triathlon is an outside shot.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

kle4 said:

Spirit Kayak final, our guy is one of the fastest, but the margins are like the 50m mens freestyle (swimming).

And women's triathlon is an outside shot.
    And Daley in the diving
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    SeanT said:

CHINA

After the two unexpected golds today we're in good shape. If Tom Daley can beat the Chinese divers to the gold then it's nailed on.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Twilight Sparkle is NOT in favour of secession. She is a Princess and would hate to see the people of Ponyville divided.
    What is it about you using these stupid cartoon smiley faces all the time? Have you regressed beyond kindergarten. Grow up for once.
    You seem tetchy

All those posho gold medallists.
    GB :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
    CH :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

the right colour too)
    Love it!
    Be thankful I didn't add 16 for the Hockey ;)
    Little piece of trivia. If you award 3 points for a Gold, 2 for a Silver and 1 for a Bronze, GB and China are both on 127.
    We better go win some more golds then.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

After the two unexpected golds today we're in good shape. If Tom Daley can beat the Chinese divers to the gold then it's nailed on.
    Gold majority nailed on!
  • Options
    F##k me, Vice still have two guys embedded on the front line with the Peshmerga in Iraq. And when I say on the front line, I mean front line....some amazing footage.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    RobD said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

What on earth is that tacky little statue thing. Only place that should be going is in the bin.

Apparently they are 3d "artistic" representation of the logo...I have seen less tat sold by lucky lucky men wandering the beaches of the Costa del Sol.
    I would rate the person who politely declines one.
    The number of athletes who I have seen with massive smiles on their faces, they get the medal they are over the moon, then this piece of shit is presented to them and their face screws up in a WTF is this like, somebody has just handed them a poop a scoop bag.
    I decided to Google the statues and found this gem:

"The models are actually little 3D-printed versions of the Rio 2016 logo, apparently designed to hold and display the Olympic medal."

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-08-19/what-are-the-little-rio-2016-statues-the-athletes-are-given-during-the-medal-ceremonies
    That's actually pretty cool!
    I like the medal cases.

https://www.twitter.com/BBCSport/status/766744845440389120
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You seem tetchy

All those posho gold medallists.
    It's ok - anyone worried by poshness of some victories will be pleased at opportunities to come in boxing and for Mo at least, then we can all be happy. Apart from people who get mad at the concept of nationalism even in its benign forms, but they are much fewer.
    Boxing at the Olympics = thwacking each other at baron de Coubertin's games according to the Marquess of Queensberry's rules. Poshness is inherent in sport. Not saying it should be, it just is.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472

SeanT said:

CHINA

Gemili was very unlucky in the 200m - it was brilliant to see we have someone of his standard and if he had a longer nose he would have a bronze medal.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Cheers in Chez Jezza...Bronze in the women's chavs on kids bikes events...for Venezuela.
  • Options
    Welling up a bit at this Nick Skelton interview. What a trooper.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

Not without more swimming golds. Too many varieties of swimming skews the table.
    True. They are only different ways of getting from one end of the pool to the other. You might as well have the 100m with hopping, jumping, and running backwards. Those would actually be more interesting to watch than swimming.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

SeanT said:

MP_SE said:

It's karmic payback for the way KLM insist on *giving* you a hideous and pointless china model of a windmill whenever you fly Business on KLM anywhere
    Are they still full of booze? Not something to forget is in your baggage when flying into Saudi....
    The houses are open (no wax) and empty. I have quite a few ... Have a lot of full ones as well . Seemed a good idea at the time.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

Gemili was very unlucky in the 200m - it was brilliant to see we have someone of his standard and if he had a longer nose he would have a bronze medal.
    Of all the athletes, Gemili always comes across really well. You could see how much that hurt him.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    Without addressing anyone in particular, it is just cringeworthy seeing middle aged adults posting cartoon faces to each other on what I would see is a serous discussion forum. It seems puerile and childish. That's my opinion. I am not saying stop it, all I am saying is that you appear juvenile doing it. It doesn't make me The Yorkshire Ripper, or Charles Manson.. so, please folks try and temper down your personal criticisms.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    BBC bod: We haven't got time to show you much of the rest but frankly who cares...

Errr, perhaps the viewers?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

American swimming team are the ones with long noses
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MattW said:

Has anyone got a Tyson-in-a-Huff emoticon?

Presumably not a "smiley"?

http://facehero.co/images/emojis/1apileOfPoo.png

Hat tip, Charles, up thread
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

BBC bod: We haven't got time to show you much of the rest but frankly who cares...

Errr, perhaps the viewers?

I think it's a silly in-joke referencing the 1988 hockey commentary.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    tyson said:

Without addressing anyone in particular, it is just cringeworthy seeing middle aged adults posting cartoon faces to each other on what I would see is a serous discussion forum. It seems puerile and childish. That's my opinion. I am not saying stop it, all I am saying is that you appear juvenile doing it. It doesn't make me The Yorkshire Ripper, or Charles Manson.. so, please folks try and temper down your personal criticisms.

Not liking something others do is fine. But I put it to you, is posting cartoon faces more puerile than some of the partisan nonsense, left and right, that is expressed in mere words, here and elsewhere? Even if the answer is yes, its a matter of degree, and not really something to worry over - though I will add, saying people are puerile and childish is designed to provoke a response. Why not have just said it was silly and be done with it? No-one sensible gets mad at being called silly.

Good night all. In sport and politics, and posting, don't be so damn serious all the time people.
  • Options
    Women's Handball semi between Norway and Russia was a cracker.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    tyson said:

I find it sad that you seem to care so much about the use of smileys, it ranks alongside your obsession about posho toffs in sport. Weird things to get worked up about.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

SeanT said:

CHINA

And what about if our cyclists were as good as our national football team?- does that answer deserve a smiley face character?
  • Options
    Stay classy...

Celtic face Uefa charge over 'illicit banner' v Hapoel Beer Sheva

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37135150
  • Options
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

And what about if our cyclists were as good as our national football team?- does that answer deserve a smiley face character?
    Yes, though out of respect for your preference I won't use one.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016

RobD said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

I like the medal cases.

ttps://www.twitter.com/BBCSport/status/766744845440389120
    Indeed, a rather nice bit of wood that- nice touch to finish it off .
  • Options
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

:) One smiley face for tyson. and a gold star.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    :)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

tyson said:

I find it sad that you seem to care so much about the use of smileys, it ranks alongside your obsession about posho toffs in sport. Weird things to get worked up about.
    Every time a smiley** is used on PB a little puppy dies..... :cry:

**No smiley used in this post so a puppy death free zone
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited August 2016
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

If I recall correctly it's the torso that matters, head is irrelevant, so a long nose wouldn't have saved him

Gemili strikes me as very professional and dedicated. Impressive chap.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

If I recall correctly it's the torso that matters, head is irrelevant, so a long nose wouldn't have saved him!
    You need long erect nipples then?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

If I recall correctly it's the torso that matters, head is irrelevant, so a long nose wouldn't have saved him!
    And a tiny penis if you're a pole vaulter.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

top trolling :)
  • Options

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

If I recall correctly it's the torso that matters, head is irrelevant, so a long nose wouldn't have saved him

he should've dived.
  • Options
    Hilary Evans
    #Olympics
    Kate and Helen Richardson-Walsh are the first married couple to win gold for GBR since sailors Cyril and Dorothy Wright in 1920
  • Options

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

Given the marginal gains strategy so aggressively pursued by Team GB, they will be requiring Gemili to get a boob job....
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    nunu said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

he should've dived.
    He actually lost a whole season when he was running at his fastest, after throwing himself at the line...I actually wonder if that affected him.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Given the marginal gains strategy so aggressively pursued by Team GB, they will be requiring Gemili to get a boob job....

I don't know why he doesn't wear an aerodynamic shirt like most of the other competitors
  • Options
    Essential watching to explain what is going on Iraq....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EUachAFhEA
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Scott_P said:

I don't know why he doesn't wear an aerodynamic shirt like most of the other competitors
    I have seen athletes with watches and jewellery and thought that can only be hindering. In comparison, the cycling team even worked out that liquid chalk gave a margin gain over wearing gloves, they also wore "aerodynamic" socks, individually custom made carbon fibre shoes etc etc etc.
  • Options
    Just come across this little gem. Rules for Olympic closing ceremonies

http://tinyurl.com/jeo575y
  • Options
    we have a 800,000 strong Jamaican diaspora in Britain should be able to produce some gold medalists in the sprinting in future if we work at it- I feel like genetics play a not insignificant part in any sports including say rowing where you would expect the build of nothern europeans mean they dominate in that aswell in cycling. and the way east africans dominate in endurance running with their builds.

or maybe just anecdotal.....
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    nunu said:

we have a 800,000 strong Jamaican diaspora in Britain should be able to produce some gold medalists in the sprinting in future if we work at it- I feel like genetics play a not insignificant part in any sports including say rowing where you would expect the build of nothern europeans mean they dominate in that aswell in cycling. and the way east africans dominate in endurance running with their builds.

Will all the Poles, we should be good for some weight lifting and field events in a few years.
  • Options
    nunu said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

he should've dived.
    Like this a few days ago in Rio?

http://youtu.be/Sh77kcsvY7c
  • Options

nunu said:

Will all the Poles, we should be good for some weight lifting and field events in a few years.
    yes. or is that sarcasm?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

One of few moments in sport where bigger breasts are an advantage...
  • Options
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

CHINA

:):):lol::p:):p:lol:
  • Options
    nunu said:

Ave_it said:

top trolling :)
    He always makes a great entrance!
  • Options
    Fox
    .@HarveyLevinTMZ on $11K paid by swimmer James Feigen to leave Brazil: "That's the best justice money can buy." https://t.co/NtGPIFg1KM
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

*** PB announcement ***

Tyson wins Olympic Gold for spontaneous human combustion (anger style)

Tragically, he also took 12 vibrant young Italians with him, scores of others injured.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited August 2016
    British women safely through to the 4x400m final. Chance of a medal here, but Jamaica and USA both strong.
  • Options
    Trump's pitch to African-Americans:

"What do you have to lose by trying something new like Trump?" he said. "What do you have to lose? You’re living in poverty; your schools are no good; you have no jobs; 58 percent of your youth is unemployed. What the hell do you have to lose?"

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/08/19/trump_to_black_voters_you_re_poor_so_vote_for_me.html
  • Options
    What?!?

International Spectator
    BREAKING: New Zealand's rugby association says its team's hotel rooms in Sydney were 'bugged' before a match against Australia
  • Options
    Pew Research
    U.S. religious groups and their political leanings https://t.co/LBRg4IhTSj https://t.co/Lyp7cr5vRa

Great graphic
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Men's 4x400 team go next.

Fun fact. The Belgium team have three brothers running.

Edit: GB safely through in 1st place. Final tomorrow night.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Is it just head kicking to go tonight? I'm struggling here...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    PlatoSaid said:

Pew Research
    U.S. religious groups and their political leanings https://t.co/LBRg4IhTSj https://t.co/Lyp7cr5vRa

Great graphic

What's really astonishing about that chart is how Democrat leaning Jews still are in the US.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Head kicking GB are in the final. We're also up for medals in the men's and women's 4x100m on the track, the women have a great chance there.

Also a world record attempt in the women's 5000m by Almaz Ayana, who won the 10k with a WR already.

Another quiet night! :)

Edit: Ooh, looks like we got DQ in the men's 4x400 :(
  • Options
    No!!!!

IAAF
    CORRECTION: GBR DQed
    BRA get spot in 4x400m final with 3:00.43

#Rio2016
    https://t.co/ijqaCg20Bw
  • Options
    British interest from Elish McColgan in the 5000m, she's the daughter of Liz McColgan.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Women's pole vault, Team GB going well... Also very outside chance, in Mens and Womens 4 x 100m relay.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

British interest from Elish McColgan in the 5000m, she's the daughter of Liz McColgan.

I feel very old
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sadly, not in the same class as her mum and is so badly injured she has to train on a cross trainer.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Women's pole vault, Team GB going well... Also very outside chance, in Mens and Womens 4 x 100m relay.
    Pole vault girl is doing well. For all the critisicm made about Athletics results, we've seen a lot of quite young British athletes make finals, should be some good medal shouts for Tokyo to come from them.
  • Options
    Ayana is destroying this field, she just upped the pace by 8s a lap on everyone else!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ayana is destroying this field, she just upped the pace by 8s a lap on everyone else!

Call the drugs testers ASAP.....
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Who will win the white women's 5000m?
  • Options
    Crickey lots of the top women out in the pole vault already.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

She destroyed herself in the process...
  • Options
    Wow, late run from the Kenyans in the 5000m
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Sandpit said:

She destroyed herself in the process...
    Yep. Kenyans gold and silver, bronze for Ayana. Olympic record from Cheriott.
  • Options
    Only when they pan the camera to certain angles do you get an idea of how fast they are really running.
  • Options

Only when they pan the camera to certain angles do you get an idea of how fast they are really running.

A lot of the events don't look as good on TV as they do live. Watching the hammer, you forget it weighs 16lbs and they're throwing it 80 metres!
  • Options
    British lass is going to miss out on a medal here.
  • Options

Camera guy has to get on a Segway to keep up with female runners doing their victory lap #Rio2016 #RioOlympics2016 https://t.co/yW5MC9Anri
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Ohhhh so close......5th....look on coaches faces says "your off to the salt mines".
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    If this 400m issue had been track cyclists, the analysts would have been all over this....
  • Options
    edited August 2016

British lass is going to miss out on a medal here.

Holly Bradshaw goes out at 4.80. The teenage Kiwi could win it!

Can't help feeling it is a little devalued with Isinbayeva missing though.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Time for final of the one legged kicking in your PJs competition.
  • Options
    British Athletics
    We can confirm that we have submitted a protest against the Men's 4x400 DQ #Rio2016
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Scott_P said:

I have seen athletes with watches and jewellery and thought that can only be hindering. In comparison, the cycling team even worked out that liquid chalk gave a margin gain over wearing gloves, they also wore "aerodynamic" socks, individually custom made carbon fibre shoes etc etc etc.
    There is an inherent trade-off between aerodynamics and physiological comfort. The reason they cylclist's helmets are not particularly aerodynamic is they worked out that the difficulty of holding their heads in the exact right position for optimal aerodynamics lost them speed overall.

In sprinting where the aerodynamic gains are far less than cycling the greater freedom of the shouldes etc can be a factor (even psychologically_.

As for watches, jewellery, I think in sprinting the level of difference it would make it just below measurable let alone marginal.
  • Options
    Bronze, unless a DQ
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Bronze for GB ladies relay!!!
    British record too.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Bronze, unless a DQ

Good job the Brazilians weren't in 4th....
  • Options
    Big last round in kicky head coming up.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You seem tetchy

Tell me that adults posting these childish, puerile, immature icons to other adults on a (sort of) serious site, isn't a bit sad, pathetic, annoying, grating whatever. I bet I am not alone here.

Emojis are a rather elegant way of communicating, once you get used to them. Hence their popularity.

As with Brexit, dear tyson, you are sadly behind the times, and out of tune with the zeitgeist. You need to return from the Tuscan hills, and plug into the Future
    There are an inherently limited number of official emojis, so there is some serious consideration given to what ones get added and removed with each update.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Time for final of the one legged kicking in your PJs competition.

In the karaoke arena.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Oh my. 1 second.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Silver in the one legged kicking.

Usain Bolt up next.

Newf red.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Oh wow.....silly boy....with 10s and 2 points up, he could have just "wrestled" him.
  • Options
    US beatened by Japan...in 100m....USA need Trump to make them great again ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Did the last Japanese runner go outside his lane in the home straight?
This discussion has been closed.