Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As LAB members prepare to vote a reminder of the demographi

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Pulpstar said:

Penalty for the dutch in the private/grammar/boarding girls jolly hockey sticks.

The Olympics are anything but a tyson safe space!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413

ydoethur said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

I've posted this already but it is disgraceful he had to represent himself. Wtf?! the cuts have gone too far in some cases.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-37134899
    I feel very uncomfortable about this sort of thing. If you have not been convicted the state should not be able to do this . Even though there does appear to be reasonable grounds for the police to have concerns in this case, it goes back to the issue of giving the state powers that you might not be so pleased about if a government of a rather different shade took advantage of.
    Surely the obvious solution is to get him a job with North Yorkshire Police. That way, he gets a job and they get to keep a close eye on him.

As a man described by a judge as a narcissist, liar, sexual deviant and violent fantasist, you would expect him to fit right in as well. Indeed he might make Chief Constable in a couple of years.
    I suspect he would fit in even better at South Yorks?
    I doubt it. The judge didn't say he was mentally deficient as well.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Pulpstar said:

Penalty for the dutch in the private/grammar/boarding girls jolly hockey sticks.

I think I saw tyson in the stands cheering ...
  • Options

I see. So not thinking your teenage kids going round dressed like a cross between Julia Roberts in pretty woman and a chav out of Little Britain is entirely a good idea (not that mine actually do) makes you a religious zealot now?

I would have responded earlier but my eldests hairshirt sackcloth had a hole in it and needed darning while she is at prayers.

Methinks secularists of all strikes are getting worried about the future. Rightly, because tomorrow belongs to those having larger families and that aint the secularists and atheists.

Not thinking that and trying to enforce your thoughts on adults is two very different things.

As a father of two very young girls (2 years for one, and 2 months for the other) I have this to look forward to. I'd like to hope that when they are older they have been brought up with self respect and to know their own boundaries but it will be their choices ultimately.

While I might want a shotgun when they're older, the idea they should be compelled to cover up by a man or a priest is abhorrent.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Great finish for 1-1.
  • Options
    Bloody Cloggies
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    1-1
  • Options

I see. So not thinking your teenage kids going round dressed like a cross between Julia Roberts in pretty woman and a chav out of Little Britain is entirely a good idea (not that mine actually do) makes you a religious zealot now?

I would have responded earlier but my eldests hairshirt sackcloth had a hole in it and needed darning while she is at prayers.

Methinks secularists of all strikes are getting worried about the future. Rightly, because tomorrow belongs to those having larger families and that aint the secularists and atheists.

Not thinking that and trying to enforce your thoughts on adults is two very different things.

As a father of two very young girls (2 years for one, and 2 months for the other) I have this to look forward to. I'd like to hope that when they are older they have been brought up with self respect and to know their own boundaries but it will be their choices ultimately.

While I might want a shotgun when they're older, the idea they should be compelled to cover up by a man or a priest is abhorrent.
    I don't think they ever have been in the UK other than by general social disapproval - and I reckon that 90% of that came/comes from their womanly peers rather than men.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    1-1
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016

Bloody Cloggies

What happens now – penalty shootout?

OMG - Daley's entry was superb - and he goes into the lead after 3rd dive.
  • Options
    GB on for Silver or Gold in the Men's TK.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    Good news in the Taekwondo - he's through to the final.
  • Options
    wasd said:

If he had lost we would have had to send him to the salt mines...
  • Options

Bloody Cloggies

What happens now – penalty shootout?
    IIRC only if it is tied after the fourth quarter.

I used to be obsessed by hockey and I wanted to be Imran Sherwani
  • Options

Bloody Cloggies

Not going to pretend I know anything about hockey but they look like they are bossing this to me.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194

SeanT said:

Dromedary said:

SeanT said:

I don't want my daughter to grow up in a city where these horrible hoods and sacks are regarded as acceptable streetwear because some people think "women mustn't be seen".

I drove through the centre of Birmingham late one Friday night and saw many drunken young women dressed like sluts. Many people don't want their children to grow up in a city where such dress is regarded as acceptable streetwear because they uphold "the right to be a drunken slut in public".
    Ah. You have accepted your hijab argument was ridiculous bollocks, and a stupid attempt at strawmanning. Well done.

Now we have the "slut" argument. Jesus.
    These children shouldn't be in Birmingham city centre late at night. They should be in bed.
    SeanT, insults and sarcasm are no compensation for your not arguing in a grown-up fashion. Nor is accusing someone else of making a straw man argument when you haven't bothered to understand what they're saying. Rottenborough, well, you're just exclaiming. There may be a good case for banning the burqa and hijab outside of the home (as they were banned in at least one MUSLIM country I know of - Tunisia - until a few years ago), but CycleFree was NOT making such an argument.

What she quoted depended on a shallow universalisation of "freedom" and "compulsion" at opposite poles. Well that won't do. Examine the social pressures that cause people to wear this kind of clothing rather than that; their views on sexuality and what is decent; your own views on what you consider to be decent and acceptable in what context; how those views are mediated through social institutions; what is acceptable for men and what is acceptable for women; and how people (such as yourself) tolerate or do not tolerate other people acting in accordance with their own views, in what context. THAT, my friends, is the area in which this discussion should take place. Yes it is about sexuality.

To propose a position that depends most of all on polarised concepts of "freedom" and "compulsion" is to dodge the difficulties and in fact to provide a cover for prejudice.

We are all prejudiced to some extent. Hiding it behind shouts of "freedom" isn't persuasive.

You can turn on the TV in the morning and watch smiling presenters defend the right to cheat on your spouse, etc. You can indeed watch hordes of young women dressed like sluts in public if you go to a city centre on a Friday or Saturday evening. I'm right about that, and it's relevant. Deal with the issues and appreciate why people wear these or those clothes in what contexts and why behaviour differs across cultures.

The issue cannot be resolved by relying most of all on Tory and Women's Institute concepts of "freedom" and "compulsion" most of all.
    (to be continued)
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

I've posted this already but it is disgraceful he had to represent himself. Wtf?! the cuts have gone too far in some cases.

I feel very uncomfortable about this sort of thing. If you have not been convicted the state should not be able to do this . Even though there does appear to be reasonable grounds for the police to have concerns in this case, it goes back to the issue of giving the state powers that you might not be so pleased about if a government of a rather different shade took advantage of.
    Quite. Hopefully the publicity will get him a good lawyer pro bono.

The lessons we learn from this case are:

1. Never speak to a psychiatrist and expect them to keep your discussions confidential.

Sadly this and other events show that NHS Medical staff are now state apparatchiks who have to be treated with caution in what you tell them because it will be taken down and may be used as evidence against you.

If they were private sector the exact same laws would apply.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Dromedary said:

(snip)
    (to be continued)

(part 2 of 2 follows)

Right, so say I own a theatre that's putting on a play. I can allow women in the audience to wear hijabs if I want, right? We're talking about a Tory paradise where the rights of property owners are paramount. Tickets may have been sold publicly, but the theatre is not a public place. People are there because they have agreed a contract with me, the owner. Now say hijabs are banned publicly, as some wish. Ladies wishing to watch the play may wear hijabs, yes, without breaking the law? Is it OK if they park in the car park and walk to the foyer? Or does that depend on whether I own the car park? How about getting out of a car in front of the theatre and crossing the pavement? Is that OK? Or if they wish to wear hijabs in the theatre, must they arrive without them, necks bared to male onlookers, hair too, and then put them on once they're inside?

Perhaps you want the police outside shaking their heads as women get out of cars wearing hijabs, saying "More neck, please, love" and "I can't see your hair". And SeanT, please don't tell me I'm setting up a straw man argument. I'm not. The hijab is an item of clothing designed to cover up a woman's hair, neck, sternum and cleavage. Or is it OK if a nun does it but not a Moooslim?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MikeL said:

Why not go back to the Olympic scoring where each good punch got a point?

That was much more transparent and less likely to get an unfair result.

Exactly, they got rid of the live score counter because it made it easy to see the corruption.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Bloody Cloggies

Not going to pretend I know anything about hockey but they look like they are bossing this to me.
    The Netherlanders are the best side in the world, I've been mentally prepped for us to get the silver medal
  • Options

wasd said:

If he had lost we would have had to send him to the salt mines...
    If we were feeling really cruel we'd just make him a Cif moderator.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    DavidL said:

Bloody Cloggies

GB maybe edged the first quarter but the second has been one way traffic.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Sandpit said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

Quite. Hopefully the publicity will get him a good lawyer pro bono.

The lessons we learn from this case are:

1. Never speak to a psychiatrist and expect them to keep your discussions confidential.

Sadly this and other events show that NHS Medical staff are now state apparatchiks who have to be treated with caution in what you tell them because it will be taken down and may be used as evidence against you.

If they were private sector the exact same laws would apply.
    I wonder whether they might just be a little more discrete?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Bloody Cloggies

The Netherlanders are the best side in the world, I've been mentally prepped for us to get the silver medal
    Its getting a real siege now. We have a brilliant goal keeper but....
  • Options
    2-1 Netherlands
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Bloody cloggies :(
  • Options
    Anyway, the airport beckons. Fatherly duties and all that.
  • Options
    2-2! Out of nowhere!
  • Options
    2-2! Completely undeserved, but quite frankly, who cares?
  • Options
    2-2!!!!
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    pbr2013 said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Tom Daley's last chance to make the SPOTY shortlist...

Yup, needs the gold to be in with a chance. The quality of the shortlist this year is going to be higher than ever.
    Don't I know it. Pronouns. Like I said, not yawning is difficult.

Tindr is a massive culprit in this. Stupidity of the over-privilaged and coddled squared.
    What has tinder got to do with it?
  • Options
    Still all to play for
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    I'm going to stick to the diving, GB seem to score when I'm not watching...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Pulpstar said:

That and when SeanT predicts failure.... Both of you keep it up!
  • Options
    Just realised they play 4x15' quarters in the Olympics, rather than the 2x35' halves as in most tournaments.

Half time, 2-2.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

Silver was expected in this match; it's what we will get.

Can we possibly edge out China?? My Lord, it will be close...

China! Whodathunk

We have not been in the 2 in the Summer Olympics medal table since 1908 when we topped the medal table in London
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1908_Summer_Olympics_medal_table
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

(snip)
    (to be continued)

(part 2 of 2 follows)

Right, so say I own a theatre that's putting on a play. I can allow women in the audience to wear hijabs if I want, right? We're talking about a Tory paradise where the rights of property owners are paramount. Tickets may have been sold publicly, but the theatre is not a public place. People are there because they have agreed a contract with me, the owner. Now say hijabs are banned publicly, as some wish. Ladies wishing to watch the play may wear hijabs, yes, without breaking the law? Is it OK if they park in the car park and walk to the foyer? Or does that depend on whether I own the car park? How about getting out of a car in front of the theatre and crossing the pavement? Is that OK? Or if they wish to wear hijabs in the theatre, must they arrive without them, necks bared to male onlookers, hair too, and then put them on once they're inside?

Perhaps you want the police outside shaking their heads as women get out of cars wearing hijabs, saying "More neck, please love" and "I can't see your hair". And SeanT, don't tell me I'm setting up a straw man argument. I'm notThe hijab is an item of clothing designed to cover up a woman's hair, neck, sternum and cleavage. Or is it OK if a nun does it but not a Moooslim?
    Just ban the burqa. Like Ticino.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/muslims-fined-8000-wearing-burkas-niqab-switzerland-ticino-islamic-dress-a7124586.html

A ban on the burqa is coming anyway, to all of Europe, so we might as well get on with it
    I'd agree there is a much stronger argument for banning the burqa than the hijab. Banning the hijab in Britain I would see as a provocation, often argued for by those who aren't open about their reasons. That said, I know observant Muslim women who believe that the Tunisian government's decision to allow the wearing of the hijab outside of the home was a step that gave a boost to the kind of criminal extreme-sexist men who are signing up in droves in that country to fight for Daesh.

Until recently most women one saw in London wearing burqas were the wives of ultra-rich sheikhs from the Gulf. Ban the burqa and they probably wouldn't let their wives out of the home at all.

Another consideration here is the prevalence of sexual hypocrisy among Muslim men. And where are the limits of criminalising social pressures that are considered to be harmful?

Then there's the Jewish burqa.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    We should borrow the idea of the EU medal table and break the US's totals down by state.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2016
    Kicky kicky in PJs really is an odd sport. It basically one legged kicking competition.
  • Options
    Anecdotal evidence about burqas - was last month on a flight from Dubai to Kiev. Many more burqas got on the plane in Dubai than got off in Kiev.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    Dromedary said:

SeanT said:

Dromedary said:

Dromedary said:

(snip)
    (to be continued)

(part 2 of 2 follows)

Perhaps you want the police outside shaking their heads as women get out of cars wearing hijabs, saying "More neck, please love" and "I can't see your hair". And SeanT, don't tell me I'm setting up a straw man argument. I'm notThe hijab is an item of clothing designed to cover up a woman's hair, neck, sternum and cleavage. Or is it OK if a nun does it but not a Moooslim?
    Just ban the burqa. Like Ticino.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/muslims-fined-8000-wearing-burkas-niqab-switzerland-ticino-islamic-dress-a7124586.html

A ban on the burqa is coming anyway, to all of Europe, so we might as well get on with it

The group, which was estimated to number around 100 in 2008 and several hundred in 2011

Truly the most pressing of global examples of the problem.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited August 2016
    Hope folk are enjoying the sport. When I saw Nick Skelton's lips going on the podium, I wanted to give the man a hug.

Bit hot-tempered in here today. Can I suggest having a calm relaxing read of this classic book about blowing other people's brains out, instead?

That link is to a beautifully scanned edition of Sniping in France by Hesketh Vernon Hesketh-Prichard, DSO, MC, FRGS, FZS - British explorer, adventurer, big-game hunter, marksman, and possessor of an absolutely top-notch name to boot. Guest appearance by John Buchan! For those with an interest in travel literature, Hesketh-Prichard also wrote an account of his trek across Haiti in 1899 - apparently the first white man to cross the interior of the island since it had been transformed into a republic ruled by former slaves in the 1803 revolution. That book is also available online, with the charmingly politically-correct title Where Black Rules White.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

China! Whodathunk

We have not been in the 2 in the Summer Olympics medal table since 1908 when we topped the medal table in London
    I reckon we will *just* fall short. But then, I tend to the pessimistic in certain respects (see my other comment)
    The fact that it's even a possibility at this stage is a huge triumph.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

Anecdotal evidence about burqas - was last month on a flight from Dubai to Kiev. Many more burqas got on the plane in Dubai than got off in Kiev.

Trying to clock up the air miles by not leaving the plane?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

lol. I am often ridiculously rubbish at sports predix

I've worked out my problem. When I am emotionally over-invested in something happening, I presume and predict the opposite outcome, as a kind of hedge against disappointment. e.g. I really want Team GB to do well, so I predicted they would flop in Rio

I do the same for English rugby, sometimes the cricket, and most rightwing political victories
    And Scottish Independence, though frankly I think I'm the same.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Dromedary said:

SeanT said:

Dromedary said:

SeanT said:

SeanT, insults and sarcasm are no compensation for your not arguing in a grown-up fashion. Nor is accusing someone else of making a straw man argument when you haven't bothered to understand what they're saying. Rottenborough, well, you're just exclaiming. There may be a good case for banning the burqa and hijab outside of the home (as they were banned in at least one MUSLIM country I know of - Tunisia - until a few years ago), but CycleFree was NOT making such an argument.

What she quoted depended on a shallow universalisation of "freedom" and "compulsion" at opposite poles. Well that won't do. Examine the social pressures that cause people to wear this kind of clothing rather than that; their views on sexuality and what is decent; your own views on what you consider to be decent and acceptable in what context; how those views are mediated through social institutions; what is acceptable for men and what is acceptable for women; and how people (such as yourself) tolerate or do not tolerate other people acting in accordance with their own views, in what context. THAT, my friends, is the area in which this discussion should take place. Yes it is about sexuality.

To propose a position that depends most of all on polarised concepts of "freedom" and "compulsion" is to dodge the difficulties and in fact to provide a cover for prejudice.

We are all prejudiced to some extent. Hiding it behind shouts of "freedom" isn't persuasive.

You can turn on the TV in the morning and watch smiling presenters defend the right to cheat on your spouse, etc. You can indeed watch hordes of young women dressed like sluts in public if you go to a city centre on a Friday or Saturday evening. I'm right about that, and it's relevant. Deal with the issues and appreciate why people wear these or those clothes in what contexts and why behaviour differs across cultures.

It is indeed about different views of sexuality, amongst other things. But concepts of freedom and compulsion are not shallow. This is perhaps not the place to go into this in detail but there are some very good, long and thoughtful articles on this topic which are well worth reading. Happy to share if you (or others) are interested.

I think that those who think that the burqa is simply an issue of allowing Muslim women the freedom to wear a piece of religious or cultural clothing are the ones in danger of being shallow and missing what lies behind the push to impose a very limited and fundamentalist view of what Islam is and what that means for those Western countries with significant Muslim communities.

Anyway, thanks for the debate and have a good weekend all.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

China! Whodathunk

I reckon we will *just* fall short. But then, I tend to the pessimistic in certain respects (see my other comment)
    Maybe but if we do it it will be an astonishing achievement and the Chinese will certainly not be happy. Even if we stay in third place we have only managed that 4 times, in 2012, 1920, 1912 and 1900
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I've worked out my problem. When I am emotionally over-invested in something happening, I presume and predict the opposite outcome, as a kind of hedge against disappointment. e.g. I really want Team GB to do well, so I predicted they would flop in Rio

I do the same for English rugby, sometimes the cricket, and most rightwing political victories
    You will never, ever match my fabulous sporting prediction on PB, when I criticised Alistair Cook for putting Australia in and said England would face a huge total...

...at the start of the 2015 Trent Bridge Test.
  • Options

We should borrow the idea of the EU medal table and break the US's totals down by state.

Maryland would have a solid total.
  • Options
    It seems ridiculously easy to foul in Hockey, intentionally and unintentionally.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Trying to clock up the air miles by not leaving the plane?
    Ha! More like the Arabs being aware of different cultures. They came off the plane dressed in western clothes with a headscarf, leaving the abayas in the bag.

My view from that is that it's a critical mass thing, people wouldn't wear them in eg. Bradford if no-one else did - but when lots are wearing them there are pressures on individuals to conform.
  • Options
    Diver almost kills himself off the high board. Missed the board by an inch with his head.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited August 2016
    We cannot keep conceding this many penalty corners and expect to win.

It's like appointing Hannibal as military commander and expecting to win a war
  • Options
    Great dive from Daley!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Kicky kicky in PJs really is an odd sport. It basically one legged kicking competition.

they can punch aswell.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It seems ridiculously easy to foul in Hockey, intentionally and unintentionally.

Just smack it hard and it'll hit a foot at some point.
  • Options
    3-2 Netherlands
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Great dive from Daley!

Shame it is for the qualifying :o
  • Options
    nunu said:

they can punch aswell.
    I've watched 4-5 bouts at these games, and although occasionally they make an odd stiff armed motion with their hand, like a mock punch, I don't think I've actually seen one connect or even look like it was intended to connect, are there some sort of restrictions on when and how they can do it?
  • Options
    Daley could do a massive bomb for his last dive and still qualify :p
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That's more than half and hour and Pogba has not scored. What a waste of money.

Everybody has Ibrahimovic as captain, right?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nunu said:

they can punch aswell.
    I've watched 4-5 bouts at these games, and although occasionally they make an odd stiff armed motion with their hand, like a mock punch, I don't think I've actually seen one connect or even look like it was intended to connect, are there some sort of restrictions on when and how they can do it?
    You can't punch to the head. I think attempting a body punch would just leave you too open to a kick at the top levels.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Dromedary said:

Your link has the word "sect" in it and that's being over-generous.

"The group, which was estimated to number around 100 in 2008 and several hundred in 2011, is concentrated in the town of Beit Shemesh."

So not exactly 'coming to a street near you', is it.
    You're trying too hard and it's getting painful to watch.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Great dive from Daley!

Shame it is for the qualifying :o
    If he can repeat that 103pt dive in the final he'll win the gold. Huge score!
  • Options

DavidL said:

Aggers for me !
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

nunu said:

they can punch aswell.
    You can't punch to the head. I think attempting a body punch would just leave you too open to a kick at the top levels.
    It strikes me like the pyjama wrestling. If a normal person were to engage with a world class judo player they would be on their arse in seconds, but at the highest level they seem to spend a lot of time cancelling each other out.

Kicky kicky seems similar.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Daley could do a massive bomb for his last dive and still qualify :p

Four superb dives by Daley – every time China did brilliantly & took the lead, Tom bettered it.

Omg, I beginning to sound like John Looney...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Aggers for me !
    Isn't he a bit past it? And a cricketer? :)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

And Scottish Independence, though frankly I think I'm the same.
    Actually Sindyref is one I called right. I stuck by my early prediction of a narrow NO win, and I was vindicated.

So you did, I was remembering.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/09/20/the-winner-of-the-indyref-competition-is/
    SeanT said:

Yes, thanks from me too Jack. Despite all the doubters, SeanT et al, I was heavily into the 40% - 45% Yes band, largely on account of your unwavering conviction as regards the final outcome.

Oi!

I had YES at 47.1 (out by 2.42) and turnout at 82.83 (out by just 1.76) - which, combined, probably puts me in the top ten percent of regular commenters?

Whatever! We won! Where's my money Union Divvie?

Can I also politely call attention to a certain Mister antifrank of this manor, who is FOURTH FROM BOTTOM, having predicted a YES vote of 57%.

If I was a client, and he was my lawyer, I'd be a tad concerned.

(and EDIT: I was closer to the final result than JackW's notorious ARSE)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Going to need something special in the 4th. We've only had two shots all game.

Edit: or at least that's what the stats say, is that really right? It could be.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Aggers for me !
    Aguero for me too. Although I do at least have Ibrahimovic on the field.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm torn between the teams. I want GB to win of course but the big boss is Dutch.... Dilemma
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    SeanT said:

GeoffM said:

Dromedary said:

Your link has the word "sect" in it and that's being over-generous.

"The group, which was estimated to number around 100 in 2008 and several hundred in 2011, is concentrated in the town of Beit Shemesh."

So not exactly 'coming to a street near you', is it.
    You're trying too hard and it's getting painful to watch.
    Gotta love the Jewish name for their burka though: the "frumka".

Mixture of "frump" and "burka".

Superb. The world would be immeasurably unhappier without Jewish humour.
    True. As I said once before, we can't live without Jews, or without them.
  • Options
    3-3!!!!!!
  • Options
    Back of the net 3 all
  • Options
    Holy crap this is a match and a half
  • Options
    3-3!
  • Options
    ENGLAND!!!! 3-3 :)
  • Options
    Oh my.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    OMG
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jezza is holding a rally tonight.

In Sheffield...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

In Sheffield...

Is he going to introduce the next foreign secretary, transport secretary and health secretary as the same person?
  • Options
    Come on England, 4 mins to play.

Extra time or straight to penalties if it's level at the end?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited August 2016
    Scott_P said:

In Sheffield...

If it wasn't for this match and that I'm going to Brum in the morning, I'd have gone
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

Penalties (I think).
  • Options
    wasd said:

Sandpit said:

Penalties (I think).
    Yup.
  • Options
    wasd said:

Sandpit said:

Penalties (I think).
    Yup
    It's how the Germans lost against the Dutch
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Ooooo this is not good referral

EDIT - phew
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,475
    Scott_P said:

In Sheffield...

Is he alright?
  • Options
    Penalties
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Well let's all hope our hockey ladies are better at penalties than the England football team!!
  • Options
    Oh god penalties..
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Extra time or straight to penalties if it's level at the end? </blockquote
    england...........

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    LOL!

I swear, raving on behalf of or against Thatcher to get almost sexually excited seems about the only thing dinosaurs from the 70s and 80s and children who think they are revolutionaries or the new Thatcher agree upon - we should create a permanent space where these bozos can drone on attacking or defending Thatcher to their heart's content while everyone else gets on with modern problems.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    So Jezza is up north, lecturing his supporters on the evils of Thatcherism....nice to see he is out of his comfort zone.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I was still doing my A levels when Maggie Thatch left office.
    I'm in my 40s.

Might be nice if people tried to move on and deal with the issues of 21st century, rather than the mid to late 1980s.
  • Options
    that was crap
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    Be fair people. By 'Thatcher years' he means 1979-2016.
  • Options
    A penalty in the penalty shoot out!
This discussion has been closed.