Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As LAB members prepare to vote a reminder of the demographi

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

We're really good at LOADS of different sports, eh?

But a disgrace at football - the one which has effectively unlimited guaranteed money.
    Probably because the premier league is so prestigious that it sucks in all the foreign talent.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

Mainly the posh ones, much to tyson's chagrin.
    I teach in a very working class area - there's a triathlon club and very popular rowing club in the town, multiple hockey teams... he needs to take the chip off his shoulder.

One of the education twitter accounts I follow is totalling up state school v private school for medals - state school was winning by miles.
    Should be 93:7 in favour of state schools.
    I see what you did there *taps nose*
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

I teach in a very working class area - there's a triathlon club and very popular rowing club in the town, multiple hockey teams... he needs to take the chip off his shoulder.

One of the education twitter accounts I follow is totalling up state school v private school for medals - state school was winning by miles.
    Probably would be if state schools were as good as private schools. But they're generally not; and historically weak at sports provision.
  • Options
    Re the Paralympics

Surely the Brazilian government should be on the hook financially ?

Its ironic that their attempts to promote themselves as a first world country but have only shown that they're still third world.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Right, it's 2am where I am, relay races start in 100 minutes. To sleep, or not to sleep?

Power nap. Otherwise you may as well just be up the entire night.
    Might try and rest the eyes for half an hour, it's either that or sleep when the sun comes up. Again.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2016
    Now those council dicks who tried to stop the free park runs, I wonder what they are going to do / say?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    kle4 said:

In all honesty, that we have the widest spread of Gold medals is surely an indication of how much we enjoy many sports in this country. We dominate a few, have underperformed perhaps in some, but we competitive in many even when they are niche but passionately supported ones.
    Swimming is one of the few where we haven't really made an impact, yet there are tons of medals on offer. The US manages to dominate swimming which have delivered a big chunk of its haul.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

In all honesty, that we have the widest spread of Gold medals is surely an indication of how much we enjoy many sports in this country. We dominate a few, have underperformed perhaps in some, but we competitive in many even when they are niche but passionately supported ones.
    Swimming is one of the few where we haven't really made an impact, yet there are tons of medals on offer. The US manages to dominate swimming which have delivered a big chunk of its haul.
    We had 7 x 4th (and a disgraceful DQ)....compared to previous Olympics, that is huge progress where Team GB were a bit like to track athletes now i.e making up the numbers in most events.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

The US swimming team of 2016 will mainly be remembered for the fake robbery story.
  • Options

Re the Paralympics

Its ironic that their attempts to promote themselves as a first world country but have only shown that they're still third world.

I feel sorry for the Brazilians on a few levels.

1) It was bonkers to hold the Olympics two years after the football world cup

2) They are a country going through real austerity, there's no will to host it, which compares badly to London 2012
  • Options

...who tried to stop the free park runs, I wonder what they are going to do / say?

Unreal isn't it.

Councils that interfere in petty issues like that ought to be 'merged' with more amenable local areas....
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Twilight Sparkle is NOT in favour of secession. She is a Princess and would hate to see the people of Ponyville divided.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Voodoo poll alert.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/766352516548362246

And here's Trump's first TV ad of the campaign against Hillary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UqwQCB48dA
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,475
    Tom Daley has qualified in first with a PB score. Fingers crossed he repeats that in the final.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

...who tried to stop the free park runs, I wonder what they are going to do / say?

Unreal isn't it.

Councils that interfere in petty issues like that ought to be 'merged' with more amenable local areas....
    Dissolve the councils and give control to regional governors, perhaps? ;)
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

So, Mrs May becomes Head Girl and the next thing you know it's Jolly Hockey Sticks?

If we were second in the medal table and Cameron were still PM you can bet he'd pop up in the stadium. Kudos to May for not trying to muscle in.
    No, but London Mayor Khan is trying to muscle in.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Wow – Consistent and superb diving by Daley, he comes top with a PB, through to the semi-finals after prelims. – Points are not carried forward but things look very promising.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Tom Daley has qualified in first with a PB score. Fingers crossed he repeats that in the final.

Took me a few secs to work out what PB meant in this context!
  • Options
    RobD said:

ToryJim said:

PB is da best!!!
  • Options

Voodoo poll alert.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/766352516548362246

And here's Trump's first TV ad of the campaign against Hillary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UqwQCB48dA

Its a bollox voodoo poll of course.

But ...

... there were many similar voodoo polls which had Leave ahead.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    RobD said:

ToryJim said:

For one moment I thought John Loony's wildest dreams had inexplicably come true.
  • Options
    That Trump ad is horrifying.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited August 2016

We had 7 x 4th (and a disgraceful DQ)....compared to previous Olympics, that is huge progress where Team GB were a bit like to track athletes now i.e making up the numbers in most events.

I really think Tokyo in 2020 could be our best ever Olympics, there's so much progress across the board, and I would like to think no excuse for any funding cuts, if anything it's time to really push on.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Next week going to get very boring isn't it. I might get some work done though.

I'm on holiday starting tomorrow. Planned it well :)
  • Options
    John_M said:

RobD said:

ToryJim said:

For one moment I thought John Loony's wildest dreams had inexplicably come true.
    LOL, heh :D
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Wow – Consistent and superb diving by Daley, he comes top with a PB, through to the semi-finals after prelims. – Points are not carried forward but things look very promising.

Daley 571.5
    Qiu bo. 564.75

Solid performance

Team GB. 24. 21. 13
    China. 22. 18. 25

:smile:
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    edited August 2016
    Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

Probably would be if state schools were as good as private schools. But they're generally not; and historically weak at sports provision.
    Ilford County has (or at least had, while I was there) its own gym and swimming pool.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

Unreal isn't it.

Not governors. Viceroys.
  • Options
    RobD said:

John_M said:

RobD said:

ToryJim said:

LOL, heh :D
    :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

Unreal isn't it.

If drafted, I will run; if nominated, I will accept; if elected, I will serve.
  • Options
    We should segue out of Rio and invade the Crimea. It's thematic.
  • Options
    Blimey, how many are in that line up, that must be about 40+ medals to be presented…
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Mortimer said:

Unreal isn't it.

Not governors. Viceroys.
    Gauleiters?
  • Options
    The Winter Olympics is going to be of a bit of a let down we when are limited to cheering for the odd nut case who happens to be good at going down a ice tube on a tea tray.
  • Options

Re the Paralympics

Its ironic that their attempts to promote themselves as a first world country have only shown that they're still third world.

I feel sorry for the Brazilians on a few levels.

1) It was bonkers to hold the Olympics two years after the football world cup

2) They are a country going through real austerity, there's no will to host it, which compares badly to London 2012
    The World Cup / Olympics combo is curious.

West Germany had it in 1972 / 1974 to symbolise their re-admittance to human civilisation.

But Mexico also had it in 1968 / 1970.

Why ?

Does anyone know if Mexico was regarded as some up and coming place in the 1960s ?

It seems unlikely.
  • Options

Blimey, how many are in that line up, that must be about 40+ medals to be presented…

• Options

The Winter Olympics is going to be of a bit of a let down we when are limited to cheering for the odd nut case who happens to be good at going down a ice tube on a tea tray.

Are there no winter PJ kicking events?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

Unreal isn't it.

Dissolve the councils and give control to the women's hockey team......sorted!
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    ToryJim said:

That means he gets to go last in the final, I believe.
  • Options

Dressage on ice?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

The US swimming team of 2016 will mainly be remembered for the fake robbery story.
    What I don't understand is why they invented the fake story.

If it was some ordinary blokes you would think it was an insurance job.
  • Options

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva_Keshavan

:lol:
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Lyuben Vachkov
    @VLubev

The GMB are a Tory trade union which actually backs Trident, disgusting. #KeepCorbyn
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Remarkable levels of beauty.
    Thanks Sean!

Wait.. you're talking about the hockey teams...... :D
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    What on earth is that tacky little statue thing. Only place that should be going is in the bin.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Twilight Sparkle is NOT in favour of secession. She is a Princess and would hate to see the people of Ponyville divided.
    What is it about you using these stupid cartoon smiley faces all the time? Have you regressed beyond kindergarten. Grow up for once.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dressage on ice?
    With huskies? Britain's Got Talent must be in with a shout at finding us a winner for that.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

So, Mrs May becomes Head Girl and the next thing you know it's Jolly Hockey Sticks?

If we were second in the medal table and Cameron were still PM you can bet he'd pop up in the stadium. Kudos to May for not trying to muscle in.
    Brexit has at least spared us the spectacle of the good folk of Rio booing George Osborne.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

ToryJim said:

Semi-final first.

Seems like a ridiculous amount of diving to do to actually win something.

18 dives ! And 12 don't count..
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MP_SE said:

What on earth is that tacky little statue thing. Only place that should be going is in the bin.

Apparently they are 3d "artistic" representation of the logo...I have seen less tat sold by lucky lucky men wandering the beaches of the Costa del Sol.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

Decades of selling off state school playing fields has left its mark.
  • Options
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    What is it about you using these stupid cartoon smiley faces all the time? Have you regressed beyond kindergarten. Grow up for once.
    I take it you weren't around when we had Smiling Gordons. One for each point Labour was head in the polls.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:

RobD said:

Decades of selling off state school playing fields has left its mark.
    Decades of short schools days in state schools too.

Often state employed staff or the state system, not capitalism, that is the problem....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ToryJim said:

Semi-final first.

Seems like a ridiculous amount of diving to do to actually win something.

18 dives ! And 12 don't count..
    Am I right in thinking they used to carry the points forward?

Also why so many rounds, the other diving competitions had a qualifier and then a final.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

MP_SE said:

Apparently they are 3d "artistic" representation of the logo...I have seen less tat sold by lucky lucky men wandering the beaches of the Costa del Sol.
    It's karmic payback for the way KLM insist on *giving* you a hideous and pointless china model of a windmill whenever you fly Business on KLM anywhere
    Do you have one in pride of place next to your Labour Racist mug?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited August 2016
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Misogynistic little shit aren't you.

:smiley::sunglasses:
  • Options
    That GB top is a classy piece of design.
  • Options
    RobD said:

But a disgrace at football - the one which has effectively unlimited guaranteed money.
    Probably because the premier league is so prestigious that it sucks in all the foreign talent.
    Yet the prestige of Real Madrid and Barcelona didn't stop Spain winning a few tournaments.

Ditto with German and Italian equivalents.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

I would rate the person who politely declines one.
  • Options

RobD said:

Yet the prestige of Real Madrid and Barcelona didn't stop Spain winning a few tournaments.

Or Wales reaching the Euro16 semis.

• Options

RobD said:

What we should be asking is how are the Germans consistently so good as a team, when they have never really have a Ronaldo, Messi or Bale type players, far less good club teams, etc etc etc.
  • Options

RobD said:

Or Wales reaching the Euro16 semis.

That's fair enough.. I suppose I was generalising massively :D
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You seem tetchy

All those posho gold medallists.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,052

RobD said:

Spain used to be crap at tournaments, but they seem to have gotten over that. We should ask their secret, as like us they were the underperformers I believe.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

The number of athletes who I have seen with massive smiles on their faces, they get the medal they are over the moon, then this piece of shit is presented to them and their face screws up in a WTF is this like, somebody has just handed them a poop a scoop bag.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You seem tetchy

Tell me that adults posting these childish, puerile, immature icons to other adults on a (sort of) serious site, isn't a bit sad, pathetic, annoying, grating whatever. I bet I am not alone here.

• Options
    SeanT said:

MP_SE said:

It's karmic payback for the way KLM insist on *giving* you a hideous and pointless china model of a windmill whenever you fly Business on KLM anywhere
    Are they still full of booze? Not something to forget is in your baggage when flying into Saudi....
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You seem tetchy

GB :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
    CH :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

the right colour too)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You seem tetchy

It's ok - anyone worried by poshness of some victories will be pleased at opportunities to come in boxing and for Mo at least, then we can all be happy. Apart from people who get mad at the concept of nationalism even in its benign forms, but they are much fewer.
  • Options
    FFS...channel change again....
  • Options
    I'm still catching up with all the excitement - are we still in with a chance in headkicking and boxing around 2am?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    MP_SE said:

What knick knack did we give in 2012?
  • Options
    I hope HM the Q has stayed up to see the lasses lustily singing the National Anthem atop the podium....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited August 2016
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You seem tetchy

Tell me that adults posting these childish, puerile, immature icons to other adults on a (sort of) serious site, isn't a bit sad, pathetic, annoying, grating whatever. I bet I am not alone here.

:open_mouth::):D;):smiley:
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    edited August 2016
    They can certainly belt it out!
  • Options
    Splendid!
  • Options
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You seem tetchy

Cheer up. At least you have Brexit to look forward to :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You seem tetchy

the right colour too)
    Love it!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    The GB Hockey Ladies even know all the words to National Anthem – Dame Hoods all round..
  • Options

I hope HM the Q has stayed up to see the lasses lustily singing the National Anthem atop the podium....

I wonder if Liz has mentioned to hubby how things are going country vis a vis?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You seem tetchy

They're just emoticons, calm down. I use them very sparingly myself, but why let it bother you so much? I'd say the same to anyone who tells me I cannot split an infinitive and other pointless things to get worked up about.

And personally I'd say the lack of seriousness, or rather the ability to puncture otherwise intense and serious political back and forthing with light hearted badinage and silliness, is a hallmark of PB and essential to keeping those political moments less highly charged, or at least not permanently charged.
  • Options
    One of the best things about my grammar school was sporting community that included all the history teachers coaching a cricket team, all the geography teachers a football or rugger team. And the games master came in early on a Saturday to roll the cricket strip - even after he had retired. A true gent.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You seem tetchy

the right colour too)
    Love it!
    Be thankful I didn't add 16 for the Hockey ;)
  • Options

FFS...channel change again....

Right in middle of the medal ceremony. Getting really pissed off with BBC now put Newsnight on CBBC for goodness sake
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

What we should be asking is how are the Germans consistently so good as a team, when they have never really have a Ronaldo, Messi or Bale type players, far less good club teams, etc etc etc.

Ruthless efficiency is the usual tripe pundits say.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

The GB Hockey Ladies even know all the words to National Anthem – Dame Hoods all round..

And the second verse to boot!

Edit. Ah, my mistake, second half of the first verse :D
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You seem tetchy

They're just emoticons, calm down. I use them very sparingly myself, but why let it bother you so much? I'd say the same to anyone who tells me I cannot split an infinitive and other pointless things to get worked up about.

And personally I'd say the lack of seriousness, or rather the ability to puncture otherwise intense and serious political back and forthing with light hearted badinage and silliness, is a hallmark of PB and essential to keeping those political moments less highly charged, or at least not permanently charged.
    Well said
  • Options
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You ok Hun?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735
    Has anyone got a Tyson-in-a-Huff emoticon?

Presumably not a "smiley"?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Bloody hell, we really COULD beat China

CHINA

I hate to be the guy in charge of China's Olympic program....being summoned by the party to explain this result.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You seem tetchy

the right colour too)
    Love it!
    Little piece of trivia. If you award 3 points for a Gold, 2 for a Silver and 1 for a Bronze, GB and China are both on 127.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

The number of athletes who I have seen with massive smiles on their faces, they get the medal they are over the moon, then this piece of shit is presented to them and their face screws up in a WTF is this like, somebody has just handed them a poop a scoop bag.
    I decided to Google the statues and found this gem:

"The models are actually little 3D-printed versions of the Rio 2016 logo, apparently designed to hold and display the Olympic medal."

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-08-19/what-are-the-little-rio-2016-statues-the-athletes-are-given-during-the-medal-ceremonies
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Bloody hell, we really COULD beat China

CHINA

Suspect we will now.
  • Options
    Charles said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    Misogynistic little shit aren't you.

:smiley::sunglasses:
    I don't think in my twelve years or so of coming on this site, posting thousands of times, I have posted anything like the personal abuse you just threw at me in that single sentence.

Well done comrade, what a clever person. You must be extremely proud of yourself. How witty and clever. I am terribly impressed.
  • Options
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited August 2016
    MattW said:

:anguished::cry::weary:
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    You seem tetchy

the right colour too)
    Love it!
    Little piece of trivia. If you award 3 points for a Gold, 2 for a Silver and 1 for a Bronze, GB and China are both on 127.
    Shush!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

No they don't.

FFS, the song is called God Save THE Queen

Those are the words. I can't remember the last time I saw an England team sing it right
  • Options
    MattW said:

:weary:

His butt-hurt is strong tonight
This discussion has been closed.