Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If elected, will Hillary or the Donald be impeached?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,053

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

On Topic for the moment...

If I recall correctly, the word "impeachment" refers to the *process* (it's a fancy word for "trial"), not to the *outcome*. Bill Clinton did not "face impeachment", he *was* impeached. I'm not sure the bookies understand the difference.

The reason why I bring this up is because bookies in 2011/12 failed to pay out on bets that Greece would default after their debts were restructured. It *was* a default (in the sense creditors were forced to accept lower payments) but was not described as such, so the bookies refused to pay up. If the term "impeachment" is not correctly understood by bookie and bettor, similar misunderstandings may occur.

It was absolutely a default, and was recognised as such by the ratings agencies.
    I agree. The bookies did not. Hence my point about the need for a clear definition of "impeachment".
    I should have been clearer, Paddy Power say it has to be a successful conviction in the Senate to pay out.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    OK, so it's 4-3 to del Potro in the fourth :(
  • Options

OK, so it's 4-3 to del Potro in the fourth :(

This is looking like a five setter.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

On Topic for the moment...

If I recall correctly, the word "impeachment" refers to the *process* (it's a fancy word for "trial"), not to the *outcome*. Bill Clinton did not "face impeachment", he *was* impeached. I'm not sure the bookies understand the difference.

The reason why I bring this up is because bookies in 2011/12 failed to pay out on bets that Greece would default after their debts were restructured. It *was* a default (in the sense creditors were forced to accept lower payments) but was not described as such, so the bookies refused to pay up. If the term "impeachment" is not correctly understood by bookie and bettor, similar misunderstandings may occur.

It was absolutely a default, and was recognised as such by the ratings agencies.
    I agree. The bookies did not. Hence my point about the need for a clear definition of "impeachment".
    I should have been clearer, Paddy Power say it has to be a successful conviction in the Senate to pay out.
    Thank you.
    Should be even clearer.

Successful conviction in the Senate = At least 2/3 of Senators voting guilty and thus removing POTUS from their job.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited August 2016
    Come on Tim Andy.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    Bill Clinton didn't just "face" impeachment; he was impeached.
  • Options
    5-5 now in the fourth set! Come on Andy!
  • Options
    Break back by Murray for 5-5 in the fourth set. This is an epic.
  • Options
    Tennis

Bloody hell
  • Options
    Come on Tim Andy.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,629
    edited August 2016

Tennis

Bloody hell

I can't access the fantasy football. Can you tell me who is top of the PB league please ?
  • Options

Tennis

Bloody hell

I can't access the fantasy football. Can you tell me who is top of the PB league please ?
    No.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I see China are back in second place!
  • Options
    Arise Lord Murray of everywhere... unbelievable sport. What an awesome olympic day for team GB!!!
  • Options
    MURRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    You'd think del Potro would know that Argentina was the land of silver......
  • Options
    justin124 said:

You were saying....plus there's a banked gold on Tuesday for the finn sailing
  • Options
    It's good to be British!!!!!

We rock.
  • Options
    Absolutely amazing. Brilliant tennis.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Murray is too tired to celebrate. So am I, night all.

One thought before I go, I make that nine different sports with at least one gold. Phenomenal.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

It's good to be British!!!!!

We rock.

So is our improvement over the last few years down to Lottery money?
  • Options
    Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron - well done, money very well spent. The investment is well worth the outcome. This is what feelgood feels like and it has to be good for us all. Ms May, take note.
  • Options

You'd think del Potro would know that Argentina was the land of silver......

"I am not allowed to say how many silver medals Argentina won, but I counted them all out and I counted them all back."
  • Options
    They're taking their sweet time over this medals ceremony. Sue Barker would have had this sorted by now.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron - well done, money very well spent. The investment is well worth the outcome. This is what feelgood feels like and it has to be good for us all. Ms May, take note.

I don't think there are any plans to stop olympic funding?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Booo!!
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Big stars in their own sports making big money for themselves but there is something about when you do it for your country. There is something different, you can see it in the people who are there in the crowds, it isn't the same as winning a major at golf or a Wimbledon.

Long may it continue.

• Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

Booo!!
    We're back in second thanks to Lord muzza

Hoorar
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

Booo!!
    Sorry to disappoint you, but we still are second according to the BBC.
  • Options

RobD said:

justin124 said:

Booo!!
    We're back in second thanks to Lord muzza

Hoorar
    Excellent :D
  • Options
    I presume our flag carrier at the closing will be max Whitlock
  • Options
    WR in 400m from lane 8!!!!!

Are we sure they have measured the track correctly?
  • Options

WR in 400m from lane 8!!!!!

Are we sure they have measured the track correctly?

That was an astonishing run. Just watched the replay and it looks even better the second time.
  • Options
    Michael Johnson is a class act.
  • Options

Michael Johnson is a class act.

Unlike Denise Lewis.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,963
    Couldn't sleep anyway, who thought recording the 100m final would work?

Here goes, and finally there's something of an atmosphere in the stadium - blink and you've missed it!
  • Options
    That went as expected. Back to bed now. Fantastic achievement from the big man to win three in a row!
  • Options
    If bolt wasn't such a (relative) crap starter I wonder how fast he could go.
  • Options

Nice of him to let Gatlin have a go first.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Nice of him to let Gatlin have a go first.
    He gave Gatlin just enough time to think that he might actually have a chance to win it, before shifting up a gear in the final few metres and putting the cheating American firmly back in his place!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Well done Murray - Good to see a 1982 rematch in the tennis.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,425

You can't have everything. He is a relatively crap starter because he has ridiculously long legs for a sprinter. He is tall and it takes him a bit longer than others to get fully into the upright position. But when he does those disadvantages give him an extra gear on everyone else.

This of course is why he is even better at the 200m. He is a freak. So glad he beat Gatlin though. Gatlin should not have been there and going forward those rules have to be changed.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited August 2016
    re s

But he's a crap starter because of his physiology that makes him such a fast runner. Can't have one without the other.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    On topic, from somebody who doesn't give a crap about sport...

This thread treats American politics as if it were a parliamentary system, without once mentioning the requirements for impeachment. American Presidents can only be impeached, according to the Constitution if there is evidence that they have committed "Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors", not because a majority of Representatives, and a super-majority of Senators, don't like them. Indeed, the prospect that the grounds for impeachment might become too broad was why Madison objected to Mason's proposal for "maladministration" as grounds for impeachment in 1787. He thought it could be so broad that Congress could object to any President on those grounds, and America would therefore effectively be a Parliamentary system.

The meaning of Treason is very closely defined under the US Constitution, and there is no evidence whatsoever that either Trump or Clinton is a traitor. Bribery - well, evidence might come out about Trump's business affairs, but it's the same as far as I know. So they'd have to be impeached for "other High Crimes and Misdemeanours", a very vague phrase derived from 14th century English law on impeachment. There was abundant testimony during the Nixon and Clinton hearings on what constituted oHCM, so I won't cover that here. Tax evasion doesn't seem to, since the House refused to impeach Nixon on those grounds, but perjury apparently can. But without any evidence that either possible President has committed either crime, it seems unlikely that they can be impeached, even if disastrously unpopular.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139
    I see the EBC coverage was up to usual high standards.

A BBC tennis commentator has been slammed for his coverage of Andy Murray's incredible Olympic win - after claiming that supporters in Scotland kits and 'See You Jimmy' hats were English.
    Simon Reed, commentating on the men's final in Rio, said that after the match an emotional Murray was 'heading over to a small band of English fans ... he must have saw them earlier'.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    malcolmg said:

I see the EBC coverage was up to usual high standards.

A BBC tennis commentator has been slammed for his coverage of Andy Murray's incredible Olympic win - after claiming that supporters in Scotland kits and 'See You Jimmy' hats were English.
    Simon Reed, commentating on the men's final in Rio, said that after the match an emotional Murray was 'heading over to a small band of English fans ... he must have saw them earlier'.

John Inverdale forgot about the existence of women when interviewing Murray.
This discussion has been closed.