Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So the changeover begins

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Danny565 said:

Have to say I love how the Tories talk about "shrinking the state", before then creating two whole new government departments in a day ('Brexit Department' and 'Department for International Trade').

Pretty difficult to Leave without those two ministries...
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    I tipped May first didn't I?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

David Davis confirmed as BREXIT Secretary. Hammond was a key Davis backer in 2005, Davis also backed Boris before May, looks like he may have the last laugh over the Cameroons with Cameron gone, Osborne sacked, Boles returning to the backbenches and Gove unlikely to get anything

IDS: we've got our party back
    Nothing for IDS as yet
    IDS should apologise to Andrea Leadsom for exposing her to a promotion she was quite incapable of fulfilling
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    jonny83 said:

How long until Boris makes his first major gaffe as foreign secretary on some trip?

Honey trap in Moscow?
  • Options
    DaveDaveDaveDave Posts: 76
    I've never been impressed with David Davis. Waffler.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Wow Boris. Going to be a seriously interesting time to follow the new foreign secretary. And a foreign secretary who is fluent in French and Italian, as well as being able to get by in German and Spanish - such a contrast with the likes of Margaret Beckett who never showed any appetite for foreign travel.

Delighted that David Davis is Brexit secretary as one of my favourite Tories, that's really good news for us Brexiteers. And I'm pleased that Osborne is out on his ear.

On the negative side, I didn't want to see Crudd given a promotion after her disastrous time promoting man made climate change. You can't have everything in life!
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Davis and Boris look like liabilities

Deliberate?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    @HYUFD I hope the quiet man stays quiet. Leadsom-gate proves why he shouldn't be turning up the volume anytime soon....
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    AnneJGP said:

John_M said:

Good luck in King Charles Street Boris, you'll be as popular as smallpox.

Maybe he's the right person for the job of turning the FCO around from its EU-focus? Have no idea, myself, but charm & jollying people along can do things a straight hard line can't.

(Good evening, everyone)
    He can discuss finer points in Greek and Latin with his mandarins :wink:
  • Options

DING DONG
    THE WICKED GEORGE IS DEAD

Lol
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    edited July 2016
    What would we have made of this cabinet if Leadsom had won and was PM?

I get the impression it is going to be hard for tribal Cameroons to spin this
  • Options
    DaveDave said:

Absolute rubbish. He's a principled libertarian, comes from a very humble background, understands the ordinary man on the street and has a great sense of humour.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336
    Danny565 said:

Have to say I love how the Tories talk about "shrinking the state", before then creating two whole new government departments in a day ('Brexit Department' and 'Department for International Trade').

If it shrinks and streamlines BIS, which is a joke and a shambles stitched together to appease Mandelson, that will not in itself be a bad thing. You could divide that in 3 - industry, trade and HE - and they'd all be a decent size and work far more efficiently.
  • Options
    Not impressed with Rudd either. Greening is better.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,984

David Davis to head up the new Brexit department

Wow BREXIT means BREXIT

Well duh. May could not survive if she did not show her commitment. Short of a blood oath, the department it the best she could do.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

BBC - David Davis is Brexit Sec

OK, OK, I was wrong about Theresa. She IS serious about Brexit!

Happy to admit I got her wrong.
    It's great. UKIP are destroyed. AND at the same time the domestic politics of The Party are centrist, so Labour and Lib Dems squeezed too.
    UKIP will have to park their tanks on Labour's lawn now. This cabinet has finalised which direction they need to go in for future success.
  • Options
    DaveDave said:

Neither was surely possible too?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    Tonight marks the end of UKIP as a political force - how long till Carswell rejoins the conservative party
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

DING DONG

Lol
    Rejoice Rejoice,

the snow is melting in Warwickshire and the Snow Queen has seen that summer is coming and Aslan is here.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    PlatoSaid said:

AnneJGP said:

John_M said:

Good luck in King Charles Street Boris, you'll be as popular as smallpox.

Maybe he's the right person for the job of turning the FCO around from its EU-focus? Have no idea, myself, but charm & jollying people along can do things a straight hard line can't.

(Good evening, everyone)
    He can discuss finer points in Greek and Latin with his mandarins :wink:
    In my previous life, I had to deal with a broad range of departments. Most were fine. I fucking hated the Foreign Office people. Wankers, every last one of them.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DPJHodges: Think May strategy becoming clearer. Article 50 triggering also trigger for general election.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Deliberate?

Liabilities or people you don't like? Davis is the best man for the job, I'm now so much more confident we are leaving the EU than I was 1 hour ago.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    The Queen has been pleased to approve the appointment of Rt Hon David Davis MP as Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    hunchman said:

DaveDave said:

Absolute rubbish. He's a principled libertarian, comes from a very humble background, understands the ordinary man on the street and has a great sense of humour.
    That's what he thinks he is.

Flouncing then standing again in a very, very, safe seat showed him up to be the self centred egotist he really is.
  • Options
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited July 2016
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: Think May strategy becoming clearer. Article 50 triggering also trigger for general election.

Dan really needs to stop now.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited July 2016
    ''Delighted that David Davis is Brexit secretary as one of my favourite Tories, that's really good news for us Brexiteers. And I'm pleased that Osborne is out on his ear.''

Many kipper tending tories will really like the Davis appointment.

These appointments are far more radical than I expected. Huge plate of humble pie to eat.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Jobabob said:

Deliberate?

Liabilities or people you don't like? Davis is the best man for the job, I'm now so much more confident we are leaving the EU than I was 1 hour ago.
    Liabilities.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,127

@HYUFD I hope the quiet man stays quiet. Leadsom-gate proves why he shouldn't be turning up the volume anytime soon....

This is a victory for the centre-right of the Tory Party, not the hard right, no places so far for Leadsom, Patterson, IDS, Redwood etc either (though Leadsom may get energy)
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    Danny565 said:

The Queen has been pleased to approve the appointment of Rt Hon David Davis MP as Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union.
    Wow. Actually a Department for BREXIT then.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

DaveDave said:

Maybe I've misunderstood his waffle as dry humour then!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Scott_P said:

That seems stupid, unless Article 50 is after the GE (at which the Tories will increase their majority?... just channeling my inner Simon :D )
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    My only thoughts thus far - an extraordinary revival in fortunes for Boris Johnson who less than two weeks ago looked to be dead and buried when Michael Gove turned on him and Boris was forced to withdraw his attempt at the Conservative leadership.

Had Gove not intervened, would Boris, rather than Leadsom, have made the final two ?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Amber Rudd is the same age as Andrea Leadsom but looks about 20 years younger.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That wasn't a sexist remark, just an observation.
    I know. Better to keep out of the sun!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Lord Iain Dale - Minister of State for BRXIT ?!? .... :smile:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Dan now only one step away from patrolling Trafalgar Square with sandwich board. Tragic.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

jonny83 said:

How long until Boris makes his first major gaffe as foreign secretary on some trip?

Honey trap in Moscow?
    Putin plotting it already
  • Options
    @sundersays: Brexiteers have the global portfolios (Johnson, Foreign; Davis, Brexit; Fox, Trade, tbc) & ex-Remainers have the home front - Adam Boulton
  • Options

Tonight marks the end of UKIP as a political force - how long till Carswell rejoins the conservative party

In all seriousness, he'll be out of UKIP shortly and will either rejoin the Tories or become an Independent Conservative.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Danny565 said:

Wow. Actually a Department for BREXIT then.
    To quote Hitchhiker's.. "oh what a dull name". :D

Argh - please do not use blockquotes to add quotes to your text!
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Wow Boris. Going to be a seriously interesting time to follow the new foreign secretary. And a foreign secretary who is fluent in French and Italian, as well as being able to get by in German and Spanish - such a contrast with the likes of Margaret Beckett who never showed any appetite for foreign travel.

Delighted that David Davis is Brexit secretary as one of my favourite Tories, that's really good news for us Brexiteers. And I'm pleased that Osborne is out on his ear.

On the negative side, I didn't want to see Crudd given a promotion after her disastrous time promoting man made climate change. You can't have everything in life!

hunchman said:

100% agreement
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,127

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

It's great. UKIP are destroyed. AND at the same time the domestic politics of The Party are centrist, so Labour and Lib Dems squeezed too.
    To an extent, though having a liberal Remainer like Amber Rudd at the Home Office may suggest some flexibility on immigration to get into the single market which UKIP may exploit, we shall see
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

DaveDave said:

Neither was surely possible too?
    true
  • Options
    saddened said:

hunchman said:

DaveDave said:

Flouncing then standing again in a very, very, safe seat showed him up to be the self centred egotist he really is.
    It wasn't a safe seat. The Liberal Democrats ran him close in 1997 and 2001. That said, of course, he probably knew in advance they wouldn't contest him if he stood on that platform.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    YEAH YADDA FUCK

OSBORNES GONE

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    This is a great reshuffle for political betting.

We're going to have markets on

1) Which country is Boris going to offend first?

2) When will David Davis flounce off?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,965

Wow BREXIT means BREXIT

Or who better to deliver a soft Brexit than a solid Brexiteer?

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Where's Grayling?

Deputy PM mayhap?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited July 2016
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:

Dan really needs to stop now.
    Hodges is an embarrassment. His rabid europhilia has badly clouded his judgement.

May has already stated Brexit means Brexit. But according to Hodges that would be only after a general election.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    AT this point BBC re-run the trampoline interviews.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    RobD said:

There never used to be a problem with it until recently.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

That's fine. It seems that UKIP's task is achieved.
  • Options

DING DONG

Lol
    Rejoice Rejoice,

the snow is melting in Warwickshire and the Snow Queen has seen that summer is coming and Aslan is here.
    Must admit I feel much the same myself
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    DaveDave said:

I'm OK with Rudd there. C'mon we won the ref, Boris and Davis AND Liam in government and we ARE leaving what more do we want!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

RobD said:

There never used to be a problem with it until recently.
    Yeah, but now there is. I think better to use italics to denote quotes from newspapers etc., otherwise it borks everything down the quote chain.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

1) he will out Vladimir
    2) Saturday?

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    What type of Brexiteer is David Davis? EEA, Swiss, WTO? Is he generally a sovereignty type, anti-FoM? Big indicator on the direction May is likely to take regarding Brexit.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Sean_F said:

You're not bothered about the sort of deal we now do the the EU?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,984
    Sean_F said:

Depends on if they think full english brexit or brexit lite will be gone for, surely? And whether having gone for it, the gov will get it.
  • Options
    Brom said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

UKIP will have to park their tanks on Labour's lawn now. This cabinet has finalised which direction they need to go in for future success.
    Labour's lawn is already a mudbath.

So want a General Election this winter - low turnout, huge Tory majority.
  • Options
    Disappointed with Liam Fox as foreign trade minister. He still has many questions to ask over his relationship with Adam Werritty and in my opinion should be nowhere near the ministry of trade. A bad bad appointment.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Wow BREXIT means BREXIT

Or who better to deliver a soft Brexit than a solid Brexiteer?

Tits

Santa has turned up 6 months early

#GizzardedOz
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    YEAH YADDA FUCK

OSBORNES GONE

Don't bottle it up Field Marshall, there's no need to maintain a stiff upper lip now. Tell us how you really feel. :smiley:
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,885
    Jobabob said:

Brom said:

Jobabob said:

Deliberate?

Liabilities.
    Have to say people like Fox/Davis in the tent wise politically
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

@AlbertoNardelli: Hot take from the former Swedish PM and foreign minister https://t.co/OQaQfiVrSh

twitter.com/carlbildt/status/753303826971713536

YEAH YADDA FUCK

OSBORNES GONE

Don't bottle it up Field Marshall, there's no need to maintain a stiff upper lip now. Tell us how you really feel. :smiley:
    He prefers "Lord High Constable of England" :)
  • Options
    This is also a reshuffle to piss off Dave

1) Sack Osborne

2) Bring back David Davis

3) Give Boris a very high profile job
  • Options
    ''I'm OK with Rudd there. C'mon we won the ref, Boris and Davis AND Liam in government and we ARE leaving what more do we want! ''

When you put it like that....
  • Options
    saddened said:

hunchman said:

DaveDave said:

His seat was one of the Lib Dem decapitation targets along with our prime minister in Maidenhead!

Jeez the knowledge levels of political history on here are poor amongst certain posters!
  • Options
    @hopisen: Two arrogant, overconfident, self-serving preeners in FCO & Brexit recipe for policy confusion and infighting. That could be May's best move
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    stodge said:

My only thoughts thus far - an extraordinary revival in fortunes for Boris Johnson who less than two weeks ago looked to be dead and buried when Michael Gove turned on him and Boris was forced to withdraw his attempt at the Conservative leadership.

Had Gove not intervened, would Boris, rather than Leadsom, have made the final two ?

Yes. I think he'd have won too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

This is a victory for the centre-right of the Tory Party, not the hard right, no places so far for Leadsom, Patterson, IDS, Redwood etc either (though Leadsom may get energy)
    the centre right...or as we on the right call it...the left
  • Options
    edited July 2016

What type of Brexiteer is David Davis? EEA, Swiss, WTO? Is he generally a sovereignty type, anti-FoM? Big indicator on the direction May is likely to take regarding Brexit.

Looking like Swiss at first glance - no tariffs rather than single market.

Edit - he wrote this a few days ago (I think - I'm struggling to load it).

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/07/david-davis-trade-deals-tax-cuts-and-taking-time-before-triggering-article-50-a-brexit-economic-strategy-for-britain.html
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    DaveDave said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

100% agreement
    Is DaveDave short for David Davis?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    YEAH YADDA FUCK

OSBORNES GONE

Like TSE has been sucked off by a milking machine :-)

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,410

Ha ha! Where's yer George now?

:lol:
  • Options
    hunchman said:

saddened said:

hunchman said:

DaveDave said:

His seat was one of the Lib Dem decapitation targets along with our prime minister in Maidenhead!

Jeez the knowledge levels of political history on here are poor amongst certain posters!
    A strategy which failed spectacularly. I think the target seats all saw proportionally larger increases in Tory majorities than other seats.
  • Options

He did a piece on ConHome the other day. He covers the bases well, imo.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/07/david-davis-trade-deals-tax-cuts-and-taking-time-before-triggering-article-50-a-brexit-economic-strategy-for-britain.html

• Options
    Arthur S
    The last Foreign Secretary to be promoted from the backbenches was Sir John Simon in November 1931.
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

DaveDave said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

100% agreement
    Is DaveDave short for David Davis?
    Ha! if only
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sky News - No more appts tonight
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    HYUFD said:

Ms May's earlier speech seemed to suggest and end to the green energy subsidies, but Ms Leadsom seems to be a true believer in all that. So maybe not.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Amber Rudd the only female appointment so far...
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Ha ha! Where's yer George now?

:lol:
    LOL.

I am sure being consigned to the backbenches it is all part of Osborne's master strategy.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Where's Grayling?

Deputy PM mayhap?

Must be. Far beyond his capabilities either way, but he can help organise May's diary or something.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    YEAH YADDA FUCK

OSBORNES GONE

Sounds fun, I had an ex girlfriend who could suck a melon through a hosepipe
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Now time to focus on Labour :smiley:
  • Options
    I am musing on Osborne's pre-referendum question...

Are you going to campaign for LEAVE or would you like a career?

HMMMN
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Amber Rudd the only female appointment so far...

debatable
  • Options
    tut tut, TSE. We ain't passed the watershed!
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    stodge said:

Or did Boris not run because he had the whisper of a nice fat job offer from the likely winner and felt it would do for a career move without having the hassle of having to carry the can for BrExit.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@hopisen: Two arrogant, overconfident, self-serving preeners in FCO & Brexit recipe for policy confusion and infighting. That could be May's best move

As I said down thread....

Deliberate.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    https://twitter.com/Independent/status/753309213024190464

Yes, because we all love referendums. Waiting for Angela to promise two.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,965
    Davis and Fox. Interesting. In the brave sense.

Boris. Universal hilarity.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sky News still saying "George Osborne resigns from govt".

Yep, like pushing someone off a cliff, then saying they tripped.
  • Options
    RobD said:

hunchman said:

saddened said:

hunchman said:

DaveDave said:

A strategy which failed spectacularly. I think the target seats all saw proportionally larger increases in Tory majorities than other seats.
    Yeh quite. Decapitation strategy hasn't endured in political history because it was frankly shite.
  • Options
    Ellison and Greening are very good. And Javid and Leadsom. Hope they got next level jobs.

My MP has been chuntering about being in the cabinet but he really is a dreamer.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Arthur S
    The last Foreign Secretary to be promoted from the backbenches was Sir John Simon in November 1931.

Boris looks terrified on the TV pictures.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

Sean_F said:

You're not bothered about the sort of deal we now do the the EU?
    With David Davis in place, it's likely to be a deal that I can live with.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Did she really only travel in her caravan?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    YEAH YADDA FUCK

OSBORNES GONE

Sounds fun, I had an ex girlfriend who could suck a melon through a hosepipe
    He's gone ! Give us the full 8 gallons Eagles :-)
This discussion has been closed.