Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From Ladbrokes and ConHome two factors that should raise a

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

Pauly said:

chestnut said:

Pauly said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

Storm in a teacup indeed.
    She really has them rattled.

Why don't they just concentrate on her lack of experience?
    I've come to the conclusion that having kids is a perk. David Cameron had kids and he certainly passed the bar - and he shares the similar lack of experience that Andrea does. (Admittedly his SPAD work is less impressive than her business experience in my opinion)
    Yes it's terribly sad that Theresa can't have kids but they are shares in the future and they do give you another dimension of emotion that one struggles to experience otherwise.
    Well, he *did* leave one in a pub.
    And no doubt such experiences mould you into a better person. Theresa May, through no fault of her own, had no such opportunity and so lacks such acquired attributes. ProjectReality.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

No faux outrage - she's a goner
    Didn't you keep saying Remain would win?

Along with TSE, Alistair M, Richard N.....
    Is that the best you can do - the leavers on here will confirm that since the result I have become totally committed to Brexit and will do everything to see it happen. It just I want someone who will make it happen, not an inexperienced and incompetent leader
    So would I. My preference is May.

This desire to slaughter Leadsom could prove as stupidly counter-productive as calling all leave voters Little Englanders, xenophobes etc.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    The editorial is utterly devastating. Surprised they didn't save it for the Sunday Times.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

I'm a leaver (according to @JohnO I even rank as an arch-Brexiteer, which I shall take as a compliment).

Leadsom's comments were vile, ill-judged and unworthy of someone who aspires to lead our great nation.
    So am I and I find her comments disgusting, my dad as well and he was also in the leave camp.
  • Options
    Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

I'm a leaver (according to @JohnO I even rank as an arch-Brexiteer, which I shall take as a compliment).

Leadsom's comments were vile, ill-judged and unworthy of someone who aspires to lead our great nation.
    I'm not sure that they are significantly different to Cameron constantly saying 'as a dad I value the NHS'.

Anti-Andrea's would be better off going on her lack of experience in my personal opinion.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Moses_ said:

MaxPB said:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/being-a-mother-gives-me-edge-on-may-leadsom-0t7bbm29x

The full article is up. I'll quote some of it for those who aren't subscribers.

Andrea Leadsom has said that being a mother makes her a better choice for prime minister than Theresa May because it means that she has “a very real stake” in the future of the country.

In comments showing how personal she is prepared to make the Tory leadership contest, Mrs Leadsom said in an interview with The Times that the home secretary must be “really sad” not to have children.

The energy minister and underdog in the fight for No 10 declared that Mrs May “possibly has nieces, nephews, lots of people. But I have children who are going to have children who will directly be a part of what happens next.”

Mrs May, 59, and her husband, Philip, were unable to have children and she hinted of their sadness in a recent interview. Mrs Leadsom, 53, who has two sons and a daughter with her husband, Ben, said that being a mother meant that the future of Britain was more important to her. “Genuinely I feel that being a mum means you have a very real stake in the future of our country, a tangible stake.”

Thanks Max

Even with the " I don’t want this to be ‘Andrea has children, Theresa hasn’t’, because I think that would be really horrible." I don't think she is going to avoid a shitstorm over this. It's probably curtains.
    I think Leadsom should apologise personally to Theresa May after those comments. And Leadsom should also be considering her position as a candidate in this Leadership contest as she has just proved she lacks the Leadership qualities required to bring the Parliamentary party together, never mind the wider membership.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @chestnut

'The Sea of Faux Outrage.'

A sight to behold.

First the CV which her boss said was fine, so lets find something else to get outraged about.

Remainers still haven't got over the fact they LOST.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,069
    chestnut said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

I'm not sure that they are significantly different to Cameron constantly saying 'as a dad I value the NHS'.

Anti-Andrea's would be better off going on her lack of experience in my personal opinion.
    Any chance of you retracting/apologising for your earlier comment.

You seem to have ignored my reply to your nonsense?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,609
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

Is that the best you can do - the leavers on here will confirm that since the result I have become totally committed to Brexit and will do everything to see it happen. It just I want someone who will make it happen, not an inexperienced and incompetent leader
    So would I. My preference is May.

This desire to slaughter Leadsom could prove as stupidly counter-productive as calling all leave voters Little Englanders, xenophobes etc.
    Not really - she has crossed a line and in my opinion the best outcome for everyone would be for the party managers to agree a compromise allowing Leadsom to withdraw and at least get a cabinet position.

This would be the answer for the Country and Theresa May could have a cabinet in place by this time next week
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,019
    Victory for Andrea Leadsom in the Tory leadership election would make an early general election inevitable because she has so little support from her parliamentary colleagues, MPs have warned.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/leadsom-victory-would-trigger-general-election-5dvcb20mb
  • Options

chestnut said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

I haven't read it, what was it?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,346
    edited July 2016
    I'm a May supporter and appalled by these comments but I do wonder if they'll have anything like the effect most people on here seem to think.

Simply because in my experience the sort of people who are Tory members (my Mum is, supporting May) - especially elderly people - don't read a huge amount into comments like this.

They aren't that bothered about the exact words people use and they don't infer things from words. Yes, they might well think these words are a bit strange and wonder why on earth she would say them - but they wouldn't then take the next mental step required to change their view of her.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

My post at 12.14am
  • Options
    john_zims said:

First the CV which her boss said was fine

Link?
  • Options

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

My post at 12.14am
    Is that one where you refer to Leave getting a "shellacking?"

Where Richard refers to a 70/30 Remain win?

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    chestnut said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

It's the direct comparison (implicit or not) to someone she knows regrets her inability to have children that makes them vile.

The sheer viciousness of a personal attack on someone who - if Leadsom wins - will be a senior colleague makes them ill-judged

The personal nature makes them unworthy.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,560
    edited July 2016

Victory for Andrea Leadsom in the Tory leadership election would make an early general election inevitable because she has so little support from her parliamentary colleagues, MPs have warned.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/leadsom-victory-would-trigger-general-election-5dvcb20mb

She has far more support from UKIP than Tory MPs, if she won Kippers would do a Momentum style takeover of local Tory associations and many of those MPs could find themselves facing the risk of deselection
  • Options
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

My post at 12.14am
    Is that one where you refer to Leave getting a "shellacking?"

Where Richard refers to a 70/30 Remain win?

Nope, you're misquoting people again. Simply won't do.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079

Are you man enough to apologise/retract that? If not, well we know you're impervious to facts.
    Really you talk nonsense.
    So how do you explain these threads?
    Leave's major advantage in the last three weeks of the campaign.
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/02/leaves-major-advantage-in-the-last-three-weeks-of-the-campaign-the-tory-press-is-on-their-side/
    Perhaps Leave really are going to win this referendum. What if the phone pollsters are wrong
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/22/perhaps-leave-really-are-going-to-win-this-referendum/
    Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his life. These don’t appear to be the actions of a PM confident of winning the referendum
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/01/greater-love-hath-no-man-than-this-that-he-lay-down-his-friends-for-his-life/
    Remain’s long term problems
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/04/24/remains-long-term-problems/
    Apathy and the older voters might be the key for Out winning the referendum
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/05/31/apathy-and-the-older-voters-might-be-the-key-for-out-winning-the-referendum/
    I could link some more that I had written in the same vein, but I don't want to embarrass you any further.

*Cough*

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/04/25/cameron-can-do-to-the-eurosceptic-right-in-the-euref-what-he-did-to-milibands-lab-and-cleggs-lib-dems/

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/04/25/why-cameron-and-his-team-are-targeting-parents-with-children/

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/01/its-the-economy-stupid/

"If Leave wants to win they need to show that Brexit is the better option for the economy and the financial wellbeing of voters."

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/02/if-zac-loses-london-and-the-brexiters-fail-it-will-say-a-lot-about-the-declining-influence-of-the-press/

"It’s known that REMAIN is following the successful Tory general election campaign and making big use of social media to reach selected audiences with bespoke messages."

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/08/zac-goldsmith-led-by-up-to-30-with-the-over-65s-and-still-lost/
    A pointer to the EU Referendum?

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/09/a-brexit-indicator-ukips-national-equivalent-vote-share-down-by-nearly-half-in-3-years/

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/11/almost-all-the-the-online-polls-when-tested-against-real-results-last-thursday-overstated-ukip/

This looks like a good pointer to referendum polling

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/18/the-polling-that-shows-leaves-emphasis-on-sovereignty-simply-isnt-resonating/
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,609

john_zims said:

First the CV which her boss said was fine

Link?
    Old news - tonight's is the turning point - just cannot see her surviving
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

She has far more support from UKIP than Tory MPs, if she won KIPPERs would do a Momentum style takeover of local Tory associations and many of those MPs could find themselves facing the risk of deselection
    Fortunately we have steps against entryism.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,941

@MaxPB (and everyone else)

Can you not copy entire chunks from The Times.

They've sent Mike some very threatening letters in the past when one poster on here kept on doing exactly that on PB

In this case there should be a clear fair dealing defence from the public interest in reporting current events that can't be obtained elsewhere. Of course no-one wants to test that in court ...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,750
    edited July 2016
    chestnut said:

kle4 said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

Just because you disagree with the outrage doesn't make it faux.
    People are gunning for her, KLE.
    Yes they are - but each attack must still be considered on its merits, and just because people may have an agenda, doesn't mean they will automatically be false or wrong when pursuing that agenda. Sometimes people can be right for the wrong reasons - there will be people inclined to dislike Leadsom getting upset over this, but it does not follow that because of their dislike they must be phony in being upset, or even incorrect.

Even the worst in politics and the commentariat can be right about things - Cyclefree made a point of this the other day, about Corbyn and Iraq. His opposition to it will be seen by many to be right, but it could be argued that his automatic decision on it, the instinctual decision, was made for the wrong reasons. On this far more trivial matter, some anti-leadsomites will have been hoping for something like this to pop up and will want to maximise the damage from it. But at its core they could still be right to highlight it.

Or more concisely, and assuming for the moment this is as big a deal as some think (it isn't), many want Leadsom to fail, and will loudly point out when they think she has. But they are waiting on her to provide something that allows them to do so, and that they wanted it doesn't mean it cannot be genuine outrage when it happens.

They will try to hang her, but only on rope she supplies herself. If she doesn't provide it to them, she won't be hanged.

Hysterical condemnation, when unjustified, can be tiresome. But hysterically portraying oneself as victim, usually of the 'establishment', is at least as tiresome.

Good night

Even more concisely, people are gunning for Corbyn too - it doesn't mean it might not be right to gun for him too.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,577

HYUFD said:

She has far more support from UKIP than Tory MPs, if she won KIPPERs would do a Momentum style takeover of local Tory associations and many of those MPs could find themselves facing the risk of deselection
    It's a shame your steps against exitism were so useless.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If only more KIPPERS had my foresight and optimistically defected in early February... oh well a party schism is cleaner than taking it hostage.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    MikeL said:

I'm a May supporter and appalled by these comments but I do wonder if they'll have anything like the effect most people on here seem to think.

Simply because in my experience the sort of people who are Tory members (my Mum is, supporting May) - especially elderly people - don't read a huge amount into comments like this.

They aren't that bothered about the exact words people use and they don't infer things from words. Yes, they might well think these words are a bit strange and wonder why on earth she would say them - but they wouldn't then take the next mental step required to change their view of her.

I'm wondering that. I think her comments were repulsive but I wonder if the average Tory member will bat an eyelid. Is there value in Leadsom at 4.8/5?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Has something been put in the water round here?

It's getting jolly grumpy
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

*Cough*

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/04/25/cameron-can-do-to-the-eurosceptic-right-in-the-euref-what-he-did-to-milibands-lab-and-cleggs-lib-dems/

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/04/25/why-cameron-and-his-team-are-targeting-parents-with-children/

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/01/its-the-economy-stupid/

"If Leave wants to win they need to show that Brexit is the better option for the economy and the financial wellbeing of voters."

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/02/if-zac-loses-london-and-the-brexiters-fail-it-will-say-a-lot-about-the-declining-influence-of-the-press/

"It’s known that REMAIN is following the successful Tory general election campaign and making big use of social media to reach selected audiences with bespoke messages."

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/08/zac-goldsmith-led-by-up-to-30-with-the-over-65s-and-still-lost/
    A pointer to the EU Referendum?

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/09/a-brexit-indicator-ukips-national-equivalent-vote-share-down-by-nearly-half-in-3-years/

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/11/almost-all-the-the-online-polls-when-tested-against-real-results-last-thursday-overstated-ukip/

This looks like a good pointer to referendum polling

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/18/the-polling-that-shows-leaves-emphasis-on-sovereignty-simply-isnt-resonating/
    So two of my threads as opposed the many others I linked earlier.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

We both know that isn't true.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Tell me about it.

On the flip side, my friend has just been appointed Head of Brexit for a major firm.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,750
    MikeL said:

I think this is the most likely outcome.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    chestnut said:

We both know that isn't true.
    My links, betting accounts, and bank balance
  • Options
    Charles said:

chestnut said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

The sheer viciousness of a personal attack on someone who - if Leadsom wins - will be a senior colleague makes them ill-judged

I wonder whether May would agree to serve in a Leadsom cabinet and may choose to confine her support to the back benches?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

My betting accounts and bank balance

As opposed to your comments on here?
  • Options
    If Leadsom does come a cropper it's won't be because of the comments per se, it'll be her reaction to them, especially if The Times have audio
  • Options
    chestnut said:

My betting accounts and bank balance

As opposed to your comments on here?
    Don't be stupid
  • Options

If Leadsom does come a cropper it's won't be because of the comments per se, it'll be her reaction to them, especially if The Times have audio

I'm personally fine with the comments - but your analysis here is spot on. Don't double down on media disgust unless you've got a credible defense.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Don't be stupid

:wink:

We both know the score.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    PlatoSaid said:

Has something been put in the water round here?

It's getting jolly grumpy

Just popcorn time for some Tory blue on bluish action.

Nasty pieces of work both. I don't know how anyone can vote for people like this.
  • Options

Charles said:

chestnut said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

I wonder whether May would agree to serve in a Leadsom cabinet and may choose to confine her support to the back benches?
    Previously I would have said "no" - party unity and all that. Now she has the perfect excuse with which people will sympathise
  • Options

Charles said:

chestnut said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

Previously I would have said "no" - party unity and all that. Now she has the perfect excuse with which people will sympathise
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    I'm sure we can do better than #wombgate TBH.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24133050

Theresa May seems to have deluded herself that veil wearing is a choice. She really is the best candidate for UKIP without a doubt.
  • Options

Rose West was a mother you know, and on that bombshell, good night.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,884

Even Theresa May would have trouble passing anything, especially if this campaign gets dirty. She may have to try and build bridges with Labour, which may be more possible with Osborne out of the picture.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

So am I and I find her comments disgusting, my dad as well and he was also in the leave camp.
    Sad to log on tonight and see this. Politics has gone mad. No further words required.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

The Sea of Faux Outrage.

Being as how she hasn't got a stake in the future, what with being barren...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,235
    Well, she may not really have run Barclays banking business in the UK, invented the Internet or pioneered heart transplant surgery, but Andrea Leadsom can claim one remarkable achievement.

She makes Margaret Thatcher look like an amalgam of Mother Teresa and Albert Einstein.
  • Options
    Tory leadership contender Andrea Leadsom has sparked outrage after claiming she has the edge over rival Theresa May - because she is a mother.

Theresa May’s supporters last night reacted with indignation, condemning remarks as ‘disgusting’.

They come just come days after the Home Secretary revealed her sadness at remaining childless, and had called for a clean contest which would remain with the ‘acceptable’ limits of political debate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3681695/Fury-Tory-hopeful-Andrea-Leadsom-says-mother-gives-edge-Theresa-just-days-Home-Secretary-speaks-sadness-never-having-children.html
  • Options

Con backbenchers certainly won't want a GE with Leadsom as leader - given it might well cost them their seats.

I would have thought they would go for a no-confidence motion in her as leader (only requires 50 MPs) if they think a GE looks imminent.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,560

HYUFD said:

There is nothing to stop UKIP voters joining the Tories in large numbers if Leadsom wins
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Same with May,over one hundred brexit MP's sat right behind her ,watching and listening to what sort of deal she goes for with the EU.

She choose's the wrong option,early GE ?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Given she hasn't got a stake in the future, what with being barren...
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

HYUFD said:

Tell me about it.

On the flip side, my friend has just been appointed Head of Brexit for a major firm.
    Is it the Labour party? I heard they're hiring right now.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

I'd say she was average attractiveness, certainly not a bombshell.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,131
    corporeal said:

TSE was talking about himself :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    corporeal said:

Amanda Knox
  • Options
    Fair summary from Oakeshott: Right, enough #babygate for tonight. In sum: serious error of judgement by Leadsom.Exposes inexperience/naivety.Which is why Mail backs May
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    In the Times editorial they state Gove should have been the alternate choice to May. Well if Gove hadn't made a far more serious misjudgement ie sticking the knife into Boris, Leadsom wouldn't even be on the ballot paper. I detect the hand of Philip Collins behind all this, no doubt he wrote or co wrote the editorial. Previously he had briefed heavily against Boris probably hoping his friend Gove would strike out on his own. Collins it may be noted was the man who was oh so laid back about the EU referendum until Remain unexpectedly lost. Then he spent the next few days clearly unable to accept the result, trying to make up for lost ground by writing a constant stream of bitter tweets and articles.

• Options
    Times (£££) Editorial:

Implausible Leadsom

The Brexiteers’ candidate for prime minister is not ready for prime time now, and from the available evidence may never be

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/implausible-leadsom-rl7kxjjbh
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I guess one thing to bear in mind is that even if 90%+ of Con members aren't influenced at all by this it could still be important because if Leadsom is going to win it will probably be by a fairly narrow margin.

eg If Leadsom was going to win 52-48 then if this "incident" is enough to alienate just 5% of her supporters then the above result would turn into her losing by 49.4-50.6.
  • Options

Times (£££) Editorial:

Implausible Leadsom

The Brexiteers’ candidate for prime minister is not ready for prime time now, and from the available evidence may never be

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/implausible-leadsom-rl7kxjjbh

I normally wouldn't take any notice of stuff like this as the % of the total electorate who read Times (or other broadsheet) editorials must be absolutely miniscule.

But I guess a far higher % of Con members may read this stuff - would be interesting to see some numbers.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    MikeL said:

I guess one thing to bear in mind is that even if 90%+ of Con members aren't influenced at all by this it could still be important because if Leadsom is going to win it will probably be by a fairly narrow margin.

eg If Leadsom was going to win 52-48 then if this "incident" is enough to alienate just 5% of her supporters then the above result would turn into her losing by 49.4-50.6.

That Times front page & twitter reaction was picked up very quickly by Skynews this evening.
  • Options
    Norm said:

In the Times editorial they state Gove should have been the alternate choice to May. Well if Gove hadn't made a far more serious misjudgement ie sticking the knife into Boris, Leadsom wouldn't even be on the ballot paper. I detect the hand of Philip Collins behind all this, no doubt he wrote or co wrote the editorial. Previously he had briefed heavily against Boris probably hoping his friend Gove would strike out on his own. Collins it may be noted was the man who was oh so laid back about the EU referendum until Remain unexpectedly lost. Then he spent the next few days clearly unable to accept the result, trying to make up for lost ground by writing a constant stream of bitter tweets and articles.

For all Boris' many failings, he has held senior leadership positions in politics and would have been a good opponent up against May - a clear choice of two different styles and temperaments.

Instead, because Leadsom had a hissy fit because Boris would't guarantee her a senior cabinet position and decided to run, Gove decided to run too and had to take Boris out as he stood. Hence no Boris (still not entirely clear why he didn't run, I'm sure he would have made it to the final two) and we have May vs an incompetent.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    fitalass said:

MikeL said:

That Times front page & twitter reaction was picked up very quickly by Skynews this evening.
    fitalass - how do you see Scottish Con members voting between May and Leadsom?

Of course Scotland was barely represented in the MPs stage of the voting with only one MP. But I heard somewhere that 10% of Con members are located in Scotland - if that's correct they could well be significant.

I know Ruth Davidson has endorsed May but how do you see Scottish members voting?
  • Options
    Louise Mensch is on the case. The screenshot of the transcript was second hand as it was from an iPhone currently in Turkey. She's demanding the audio.

A useful attack dog in Leadsom's corner.

https://twitter.com/louisemensch/status/751582985800060928
  • Options

Louise Mensch is on the case.

If you want to be seen as a right-wing loon.....definitely....

For something more centrist, not necessarily so useful......
  • Options

Maybe, but she's pretty forensic and relentless when she has a bee in her bonnet about something.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Seven hundred and seventy-eighth :)
  • Options

Maybe, but she's pretty forensic and relentless when she has a bee in her bonnet about something.
    And frequently ends up looking very foolish, retreating from the field utterly squished.....
  • Options
    Not that some of the LEAVErs will believe it:

Government dashes hopes of second EU referendum in e-petition response

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/09/government-dashes-hopes-of-second-eu-referendum-in-e-petition-response
  • Options

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/09/government-dashes-hopes-of-second-eu-referendum-in-e-petition-response

Wonder how many of those 4 million didn't vote the first time? *innocent face*
  • Options
    Why would the times make up a story that had been taped and even possibly video-recorded?
  • Options
    Mrs May today challenges Mrs Leadsom to sign a five-point “pledge card” as she calls for a “clean campaign”. It includes a pledge not to “co-operate in any way with other political parties”, incluing their donors or members.

Both Nigel Farage, the Ukip leader, and Arron Banks, the party’s donor, have said they support Mrs Leadsom as next Conservative leader.

Last week she refused to rule out Mr Farage forming part of her Brexit negotiating team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/08/theresa-may-britain-faces-tough-times-but-can-enjoy-a-better-bri/
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    RobD said:

Why would the times make up a story that had been taped and even possibly video-recorded?
    Because the papers do that all the time......
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

I don't doubt Leadsom said the things the Times says she did. And a lot of other stuff as well.

I'm sure she regrets the presentation put upon them (and would never say them directly - just leave people to draw the inference) - but if you don't want your motherhood contrasted with your opponent's infertility, stop banging on about it - say something neutral.

Amateur.

And why is Mensch banging on about the Times releasing their recording - why doesn't Leadsom release hers?

She did make one, didn't she?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Wonder how many of those 4 million didn't vote the first time? *innocent face*
    Wonder how many of them didn't exist in the first place? *innocent face*
  • Options
    nunu said:

RobD said:

What, make up a story which can easily be proven false?
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    Well, this thread *has* been a satisfying read.

Perhaps a verse may console:

Though pb tories at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Shariah May is losing.

A50 is coming.

Good night
  • Options
    RobD said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

Yes.
  • Options
    Why are American stocks rallying? The jobs numbers don't look that great considering the weak May numbers.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/08/the-sp-got-very-very-very-close-to-making-records-on-friday.html
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    shiney2 said:

Well, this thread *has* been a satisfying read.

Perhaps a verse may console:

Though pb tories at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Shariah May is losing.

A50 is coming.

Good night

It's one of Stoke-on-trent's finest roads. Though personally I prefer the A53 :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

nunu said:

RobD said:

The Paranoia is strong with the Leadsomites......
  • Options
    Either the Times have fabricated this quote, or they have Leadsom bang to rights:

Asked about how she compared herself with Mrs May, Mrs Leadsom reportedly said: “I see myself as one, an optimist, and two, a member of huge family and that’s important to me. My kids are a huge part of my life.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/08/andrea-leadsom-opens-up-motherhood-row-with-tory-leadership-riva/

Though frankly I suspect incompetence rather than malice - given the rest of the interview.

Has she done media training?
  • Options

Either the Times have fabricated this quote, or they have Leadsom bang to rights:

Asked about how she compared herself with Mrs May, Mrs Leadsom reportedly said: “I see myself as one, an optimist, and two, a member of huge family and that’s important to me. My kids are a huge part of my life.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/08/andrea-leadsom-opens-up-motherhood-row-with-tory-leadership-riva/

Though frankly I suspect incompetence rather than malice - given the rest of the interview.

did u see her fake smiles during the debates? awful.
  • Options
    nunu said:

did u see her fake smiles during the debates? awful.
    I suspect she's naturally a smiler - goes with her optimistic/panglossian outlook on life.....
  • Options
    NEW THREAD

Time to point at Labour & laugh......
This discussion has been closed.