Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From Ladbrokes and ConHome two factors that should raise a

Comments

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    It's over, isn't it?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,027

I would appreciate it if Andrea Leadsom not bugger up my thread for tomorrow by giving even more evidence as to why she should lose.

Oh, and the second piece has a pun that even TSE would be proud of.

Grrrr grrr, just seen your first thread, you've given the same betting advice I was going to do a thread on Sunday
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,581
    HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

That is truly awful stuff. It's a sign of the sort of vindictiveness or spite that would make her unsuitable as a PM. I hope she gets absolutely buried in this ballot.
    Leadsom says May must be 'very sad' not to have children, I don't really see it as an explicit criticism, if a little stupid but more a focus on Leadsom's position as a mother.
    Been read out on Sky news with MP's already expressing anger
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

That is truly awful stuff. It's a sign of the sort of vindictiveness or spite that would make her unsuitable as a PM. I hope she gets absolutely buried in this ballot.
    That looks extrement selective quoting by the Times, where does Leadsom ever criticise May for not having children, she said
    Theresa May possibly has nieces, nephews, lots of people but I have children
    She also said Theresa May must be 'very sad'
    I'm also very sad you're a moron.

See where I'm going with this?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,943
    Leadsom. WTF???
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,505

It's over, isn't it?

In other news, Trump's surely blown it this time...
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

Nobody could be as stupid as to say what Leadsom has apparently said. Doesn't make sense.

She'll be explaining, clarifying, contextualizing (sic) for the next week....and a fat lot of good it will do her.
    It's a very small electorate. I imagine she's visiting at least one conservative association a day. So she can explain in person.

The members who are curious about her will also be able to find long interviews online if they want to. She should probably update her website to help with that.

http://www.andrealeadsom.com
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,217
    Albeit still unlikely, if Leadsom were to now withdraw , presumably May would be elected leader unopposed?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Leadsom available to lay at 4.8 on BF.
  • Options

It's over, isn't it?

Well I thought the same about those nasty Leave posters/outright lies over Turkey/£350 million per week figures and we all know how that turned out
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    AndyJS said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

Nobody could be as stupid as to say what Leadsom has apparently said. Doesn't make sense.

She'll be explaining, clarifying, contextualizing (sic) for the next week....and a fat lot of good it will do her.
    She couldn't have been aware that May was unable to have children.
    World + wife knows. And she acknowledges Theresa's childlessness in the interview.

Her words have probably been twisted. But the art of politics is not to give the opposition ammunition.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

It's over, isn't it?

The Brexit vote has told us that we can never say over. We live in strange times.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Leadsom's horrible remarks now on Sky - saying it seems like the nasty party again

She has to go before the weekend is out

Perhaps wait until a full transcript is released or allow Leadsom to comment on whether the Times story is completely accurate.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Albeit still unlikely, if Leadsom were to now withdraw , presumably May would be elected leader unopposed?

Would be up to the party board.
  • Options

The Times used to be a proper newspaper.Just a nasty propaganda rag these days that will do anything to push its agenda. Wouldn't trust this story at all.

It is going to take her Leadsom down - she is the candidate for Prime Minister no less
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Leadsom has won.

• Options
    JohnO said:

I'd be amazed if she withdrew. It's a lot easier to just ignore the newspapers and the telly.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458

Oh and Stephen Crabb has been a very naughty boy.

What is it about family values Christian Conservatives and their libidos?

I don't think that applies to Ann Widdecombe or Tim Montgomerie somehow, neither of whom are much to look at. Crabb has a ruggedly handsome look I suppose and is relatively affable. Sad news as I met him once at a dinner and he was easy to talk to but politics is a high pressure environment which needs lots of energy and inevitably some will put those energies in other directions too. Anyway I don't think it should affect his Cabinet role
  • Options
    Pure Trump tactics. Say something, anything, as long as it gets attention. Don't worry about who gets hurt or what the truth or reality is.

Dear God, how quickly this country has descended the depths.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    AndyJS said:

I agree it seems too obscene. The quotes seem to be there though, and why is talking about Theresa May's lack of children at all, whether or not she explicitly criticised her for it. It's from the Times, I can't see them fabricating quotes. She needs to issue a statement immediately and clarify the remarks.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

It's over, isn't it?

Well I thought the same about those nasty Leave posters/outright lies over Turkey/£350 million per week figures and we all know how that turned out
    TSE, of all the people on here you are by far the saltiest. Did you mis-bet and lose a wodge?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,217
    edited July 2016
    AndyJS said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

I thought that was public knowledge, and even if it wasn't, Leadsom's crassness is astonishing.
  • Options
    @shashj: "Theresa May has six years of counter-terrorism experience, whereas I have ovaries"
  • Options

@mikeysmith: Mussolini had six children. Just for the record.

Adolf Hitler didn't have any.

Just sayin'....
    He did. Jean-Marie Loret.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,825
    AndyJS said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

She directly compares herself as having children with May as having none (That May "probably has nieces and nephews" but she, Leadsom, has children and thus a stake in the future) and follows it up by saying that May must be "very sad" about it.

She knew. She certainly knew and used it.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Awful comments if they are indeed what she said.

I know there was an article recently about May opening up about not being able to have children and the heartbreak it has caused her and her husband but Leadsom shouldn't have been using that subject for political gain.

Again if it's true then it's disgusting.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Thought: if Leadsom wins, Dominic Cummings gets to be Malcolm Tucker.

So much bants.
  • Options

It's over, isn't it?

TSE, of all the people on here you are by far the saltiest. Did you mis-bet and lose a wodge?
    Operation Save Dave failed.
  • Options

It's over, isn't it?

Nope June 23rd/24th was profitable and I've backed Mrs Leadsom at great odds, ditto Mrs May, but I want the loathsome Leadsom to lose, and be humiliated at such a level she thinks she's Mark Oaten's rent boy.
  • Options

JohnO said:

I'd be amazed if she withdrew. It's a lot easier to just ignore the newspapers and the telly.
    She maybe forced to by public revulsion
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Quite - regardless of the ethics, self preservation would say dont touch the subject with a bargepole if you have any political nous
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Pure Trump tactics. Say something, anything, as long as it gets attention. Don't worry about who gets hurt or what the truth or reality is.

It's not quite like Trump. She's used one fact (Mrs May has no children) and made some colossal leap of logic that her own children in some way advantage her for the role of Prime Minister. Trump is stupid and wrong. This is just stupid.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,039
    I guess Andrea can forget that CoE invitation from Theresa then? :smiley:
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Stupid comment from Leadsom.

I have to say, though, bringing up children has made me a much wiser, less selfish and more sensible person. And now that I have children, I couldn't imagine having much purpose to my life without them.

But then, I was a bit of a reckless idiot pre-kids.

That's not to suggest May isn't fit for PM. Not at all. Just a note on how dramatic an impact fatherhood had on me.
  • Options

Pong said:

John_M said:

Scott_P said:

@suttonnick: Saturday's Times:
    Being a mother gives me edge on May — Leadsom
    #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers https://t.co/w0ZW0b1jow

Classy lady.
    Thats just nasty - May was unable to have children
    It wouldn't have been any less nasty even if it was a choice.
    Oh yes it would. Its the equivalent of in the last two for prime minister and saying, 'having eyes that can see gives me the edge over Blunkett'
    She didn't use the 'give me an edge' language, and in the case of Blunkett, remember this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3265219.stm
    What the F*** has blunkets policy on immigration got to do with it?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

:+1:

Hell will freeze over...
  • Options

JohnO said:

The press are not being subtle. I would expect people to assume it's a hatchet job.

That said, I may have to buy the blessed paper myself now just to be certain!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,760

It's over, isn't it?

Nope June 23rd/24th was profitable and I've backed Mrs Leadsom at great odds, ditto Mrs May, but I want the loathsome Leadsom to lose, and be humiliated at such a level she thinks she's Mark Oaten's rent boy.
    @TheScreamingEagles

We thank you so much for canvassing so hard in Sheffield and convincing the good people of your fair city to vote LEAVE!

*innocent face*
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

If I knew that she has no excuse.
  • Options

The Times used to be a proper newspaper.Just a nasty propaganda rag these days that will do anything to push its agenda. Wouldn't trust this story at all.

It is going to take her Leadsom down - she is the candidate for Prime Minister no less
    I very much doubt it.No one reads the Times any more.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493

JohnO said:

Though precedent would suggest so. In 1990, there should have been a third round according to the rules but it was cancelled after Hurd and Heseltine withdrew.
  • Options

It's already on Sky and doing the rounds on social media.
  • Options
    Surprise surprise, Arron Banks is defending Andrea Leadsom's comments
  • Options

JohnO said:

The press are not being subtle. I would expect people to assume it's a hatchet job.

There are direct quotes in there. The comments look awful.
  • Options

JohnO said:

She will win. I thought May would, but not now.

She is hitting that spot that people with children know. There is no comparable love. Not parents, not siblings, not spouses.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493

@shashj: "Theresa May has six years of counter-terrorism experience, whereas I have ovaries"

Well on that basis, we should just make Jordan PM. Why have one massive tit in No 10 when you could have two?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,505

Pong said:

John_M said:

Scott_P said:

Classy lady.
    Oh yes it would. Its the equivalent of in the last two for prime minister and saying, 'having eyes that can see gives me the edge over Blunkett'
    She didn't use the 'give me an edge' language, and in the case of Blunkett, remember this?

I was obliquely making the point that while saying that having working eyesight gives you an edge may be crass, it's nevertheless true. Would he have been so insouciant about overcrowding and mass immigration if he wasn't blind?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

She directly compares herself as having children with May as having none (That May "probably has nieces and nephews" but she, Leadsom, has children and thus a stake in the future) and follows it up by saying that May must be "very sad" about it.

What bit is there doubt about? The Times would be bankrupt on the law suite if they made up these kinds of quotes.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,215
    Has this stupid, lying, conniving creature any redeeming qualities at all?
  • Options

JohnO said:

Though precedent would suggest so. In 1990, there should have been a third round according to the rules but it was cancelled after Hurd and Heseltine withdrew.
    I was doing some research on it this week, and that's what happened in 2003
  • Options
    She may have been deliberately calculating and assumed that, by doing it early, any revulsion about her bringing up the subject and attacking like this could subside and intend to have it hung around May's neck. She's probably hoping that her target electorate will agree with her in the privacy of the ballot casting.

I dearly hope she has underestimated the Conservative members as a whole.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

JohnO said:

She is hitting that spot that people with children know. There is no comparable love. Not parents, not siblings, not spouses.

Not at all, most people feel sympathy for May because she is unable to have children. This is a massive error.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sadly I doubt this will make very much difference. Andrea Leadsom was a Leaver and that is the main thing.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    How did Crabby segue from "cheating politicians are stupid" to "i want your body" ?
  • Options

People watch the broadcast media - I do not understand how anyone can attempt to justify her comments
  • Options
    Freggles said:

How did Crabby segue from "cheating politicians are stupid" to "i want your body" ?

Probably been using my subtle chat up lines
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    chestnut said:

JohnO said:

Please tell us you are trolling.
  • Options
    Guy, and gals, don't over-analyse. She's an idiot.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Yes, she's increasing the popularity and sympathy for our next PM.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

It's quite the sideways move.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,110
    Obviously I'm totally unbiased, but Leadsom should have known better than to say that.
  • Options

Obviously. The question is: does it matter?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

JohnO said:

Ive got several children. Im one of the lucky ones that could. All the more reason I am utterly dusgusted by these comments.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It's already on Sky and doing the rounds on social media.
    I wonder how many Tory members follow twitter
  • Options

She may have been deliberately calculating and assumed that, by doing it early, any revulsion about her bringing up the subject and attacking like this could subside and intend to have it hung around May's neck. She's probably hoping that her target electorate will agree with her in the privacy of the ballot casting.

I don't believe that. I think this is just selective editing.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

JohnO said:

Just horrible comments unworthy of you
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    GIN1138 said:

Torie's nice to each other ;-)

Two month's of this,please let it end.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

AndyJS said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

If she didn't her prep team should have.

Every interview is passed by ten people these days, none of them thought "hmmm, I wonder why she has no children?" for even a second?!

Bearing in mind they are in the same party, all their colleagues working with them are in the same party and have known each other for many, many years and it has been in the press before.
  • Options
    Chris said:

84 Tory MPs think she should be PM of Great Britain in the midst of its worst peace time crisis in a hundred years. 84? Yeh gods.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,352

Yes, but the more outrageous you get the more those who crave a bit of naughtiness lap it up. I can't see this harming Leadsom at all. She's marketing herself as an iconoclast, a maverick and a speaker of truths to power. And, anyway, her more queasy supporters can just notch it up as a dirty-tricks operation on behalf of a panicking establishment.
  • Options

Obviously. The question is: does it matter?
    Yes.
  • Options

Pong said:

John_M said:

Scott_P said:

Classy lady.

I was obliquely making the point that while saying that having working eyesight gives you an edge may be crass, it's nevertheless true. Would he have been so insouciant about overcrowding and mass immigration if he wasn't blind?
    Im really not going to dignify that with a response.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Looking at the candidates for leadership what lovely people we have at the head of the tory party. The labour candidates were dreadful, at least they had some kind of morals, this lot are filth.
  • Options

chestnut said:

JohnO said:

Ive got several children. Im one of the lucky ones that could. All the more reason I am utterly dusgusted by these comments.
    Agreed.

A very very stupid and offensive thing to say.
  • Options
    ...and that includes Boris, who claims to be well educated.
  • Options

I don't believe that. I think this is just selective editing.
    That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it?

"I was selectively edited"
    "You were quoted out of context"
    "He's a massive bigot"
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Freggles said:

It's quite the sideways move.
    He had the grace to give up rather than try to pull the others back down into the basket with him, unlike Boris
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

chestnut said:

JohnO said:

Not at all, most people feel sympathy for May because she is unable to have children. This is a massive error.
    Yes, they will feel sympathy. I'm not sure that counts for much in a race to win.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Apparently not. Luckily, this idiocy should backfire massively.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

AndyJS said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

The 'very sad line' clearly shows she knows May couldn't have children and the heartbreak it has caused her.

IIRC Leadsom did talk about her children and her grandchildren's future during the referendum so talking about her own children and their future is fair enough. But to bring May's personal situation into it really is in incredibly poor taste.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,242

AndyJS said:

Quite - regardless of the ethics, self preservation would say dont touch the subject with a bargepole if you have any political nous
    Crass doesn't begin to cover it. How did she think this couldn't come across as "Hey, at least MY ovaries work...." What thinking process gets her to say that out loud?

We've got eight weeks of this?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,068
    edited July 2016
    I remember alot on here being horrified by the immigration poster with Farage.

But, well, he won.

Could go either way with the party members, might put off a few spinster aunts (I'm not planning on having any kids myself before ye all judge !) - but could appeal to grandmothers/fathers even if they don't admit it as @Chestnut points out.

A quite disgusting tactic - but not necessarily an error.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

JohnO said:

AndyJS said:

What bit is there doubt about? The Times would be bankrupt on the law suite if they made up these kinds of quotes.
    She also said she did not want to get into a contest with May on who was a mother or not
  • Options

Looking at the candidates for leadership what lovely people we have at the head of the tory party. The labour candidates were dreadful, at least they had some kind of morals, this lot are filth.

What's May done now? :D
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

There are direct quotes in there. The comments look awful.
    Well then lets see the whole transcript. I've not seen any sign of malice in her TV interviews.

Last nights scoop photo of her campaign strategy didn't say anything about 'attack Ms May for not having children.'

I really think this is just a newspaper with an agenda. I hope Ms Leadsom keeps tapes of interviews she gives.
  • Options
    John_M said:
    The words of Mandy Rice Davis spring to mind.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:
    I would hope most sensible people would want to wait until the full facts emerge.

This modern trend of trial by social media is quite alarming.
  • Options
    BTW, there's a brilliantly funny quote at the end of that Times front page:

One MP backing Mrs May said last night: "I think these comments are disgusting. I think it's going to insult a lot of Conservative activists as well as a lot of nice, decent people".

:)
  • Options

May certainly has morals and I seem to remember the last Labour Deputy PM had an affair with his secretary as did the first New Labour Foreign Secretary
  • Options

BTW, there's a brilliantly funny quote at the end of that Times front page:

One MP backing Mrs May said last night: "I think these comments are disgusting. I think it's going to insult a lot of Conservative activists as well as a lot of nice, decent people".

:)

But what about baby-eating PB Tories? :p
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    I'm away and commenting on a mobile is a right pain, but I had to sign in to say how utterly disgusted I am by Andrea Leadsom. I'm ashamed to be in the same party as her, and I hope she fucks off to UKIP after getting thrashed by TM.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    RobD said:

What's May done now? :D
    Looks like she'll win by being last one standing, the rest are busy blowing their own heads off. Every time I think we've gone as low as we can something even more loathsome occurs, we're governed by lowlives.
  • Options

chestnut said:

JohnO said:

Just horrible comments unworthy of you
    I am not sure what I would think of someone who didn't think their children were the most precious thing alive.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,409
    MaxPB said:

I wouldn't be so sure about Deutsche.

While I don't want to go over old ground again, there are two types of countries in Europe: those that sorted out their banking systems, and those that didn't.

Take Spain: it forced 48 regional savings banks - the Caixa - to close, the banks to recognise EUR400bn of bad debts, to raise more than EUR120bn of new equity and created a bad bank to hold toxic assets. Result: Spain's banking sector is one of the best capitalised in Europe, despite having had one of the worst pre-crisis economies.

Take Italy: it didn't have much debt compared to its neighbours so it thought it didn't need to sort things out. (And it would have been politically unpopular to inquire too much into the actions of the Populare, the equivalent of Spain's Caixa.) Result: the banks are unable to lend, dragging the domestic economy down. Only now, almost a decade after the crisis started have they realised their error.

Fortunately, the sums in Italy are quite small (Italians don't owe very much compared to...er... Brits for example). They just need the banks to raise a bit of equity and the government to create the obligatory bad bank. The issue is that doing what everyone else did in the past now breaches EU state aid rules. (Whoops.) So, the Italian government will likely have to stick two fingers up at the commission and do it anyway.

Which brings us to Deutsche Bank. It's fair to say that the Eurozone's only investment bank is also by far the most troubled bank in the whole block. No-one knows how big the issue is because they have literally trillions of market to model derivatives. (Of course real exposure will be less, but it could still be a number with a great many zeroes.)
  • Options
    Andrea Leadsom would have a better chance with the "out of context" approach if it wasn't for her reaction to this:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/05/andrea-leadsom-row-over-overrun-with-foreigners-tweet
This discussion has been closed.