Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From Ladbrokes and ConHome two factors that should raise a

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,750
    surbiton said:

Pauly said:
    If this true, her support will go up 5 points. Plus Tebbit's support.
    She's being so insistent about it either she's right, and even if carelessly worded the report of her words is outrageous, or she's delusional. I find it hard to believe she could truly be so delusional, so my first guess would be the full transcript would be incendiary but provide wiggle room to fuel a narrative of being fitted up by the 'remainstream' media.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,985
    Andrea Leadsom MP ‏@andrealeadsom 5s5 seconds ago
    @thetimes @RSylvesterTimes this is the worst gutter journalism I've ever seen. I am so angry - I can't believe this. How could you?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

John_M said:

Pulpstar said:

Theresa May insisting she is no "remainer" in the Telegraph o_O !?

I'm sorry but I'm reasonably sure she was on the remain side of the argument during the campaign, however quietly...

We are all Leavers now. Don't tell Alastair.
    Leave is Leave. We shall not rejoin the EU in the foreseeable future.
    Indeed. Though it is somewhat hilarious that Remainers may be the better managers of Leave, on current evidence, than Leavers would be.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

JohnO said:

Albeit still unlikely, if Leadsom were to now withdraw , presumably May would be elected leader unopposed?

I'd be amazed if she withdrew. It's a lot easier to just ignore the newspapers and the telly.
    She maybe forced to by public revulsion
    She will win. I thought May would, but not now.

She is hitting that spot that people with children know. There is no comparable love. Not parents, not siblings, not spouses.

Just horrible comments unworthy of you
    I am not sure what I would think of someone who didn't think their children were the most precious thing alive.

When I think of how wonderful it is to have children, I feel nothing but compassion for those who can not.

Leadsom's comments are shameful
    She has repudiated the Times piece.

https://twitter.com/andrealeadsom/status/751531686987501570
    As of now I don't believe her. But if she provides evidence to the contrary I will? If course, review my opinion

She doesn't have a transcript herself, which Harry Cole finds odd, as all other leadership campaigns have a press officer sitting in on interviews, recording them for such a happenstance.

Andrea Leadsom truly is an amateur, and we want her to lead our Brexit negotiations?
    Yes, even leaving ethics aside your comment is very valid
  • Options
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

Pauly said:
    She's being so insistent about it either she's right, and even if carelessly worded the report of her words is outrageous, or she's delusional. I find it hard to believe she could truly be so delusional, so my first guess would be the full transcript would be incendiary but provide wiggle room to fuel a narrative of being fitted up by the 'remainstream' media.
    Well, she's certainly gone for broke.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    As an undecided con member who keeps flipping between the candidates every few hours - what was she thinking doing an interview with a newspaper clearly against her? Pick a friendly one like the Express... it shows poor judgement even if headline is fantasy. Pushing me towards May.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

JohnO said:

Albeit still unlikely, if Leadsom were to now withdraw , presumably May would be elected leader unopposed?

I'd be amazed if she withdrew. It's a lot easier to just ignore the newspapers and the telly.

She is hitting that spot that people with children know. There is no comparable love. Not parents, not siblings, not spouses.

I am not sure what I would think of someone who didn't think their children were the most precious thing alive.

Of course my children and grand children are the most precious part of our lives but to try to score points over someone who has been unable to experience the joy of children through no fault of their own is unacceptable, crass, and unbecoming of anyone seeking the highest office in the land
    Joy of children???

Clearly you've never had a child vomit into you face, mouth, eyes and nose when you're sleeping. I tell you, I didn't feel much joy opening my eyes and feeling them fill with a mixture stomach acid and semi-digested milk.
    Don't give them your left over champagne then!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,778

Pulpstar said:

I'm sorry but I'm reasonably sure she was on the remain side of the argument during the campaign, however quietly...

You didn't get the memo. We're all Brexiteers now.
    Brexiteers, stand by...

NEGOTIATE!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    kle4 said:

Indeed. Though it is somewhat hilarious that Remainers may be the better managers of Leave, on current evidence, than Leavers would be.

They are going to have to be, given that it looks as though only Remainers will remain.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    kle4 said:

John_M said:

Pulpstar said:

We are all Leavers now. Don't tell Alastair.
    Leave is Leave. We shall not rejoin the EU in the foreseeable future.
    You might think me pious, but having a reluctant Leaver as PM might soothe the savage brow of the 48% who are being ripped unwillingly from nurse's bosom.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I see the paranoid string of Leavers are in full swing still - it doesn't matter who wanted Brexit before, we are getting Brexit now, and its about who can get the best deal. If that's Leadsome, fine, that's an opinion, but it's not a Remain vs Leave fight anymore.

I presume Remainstream media also includes media which was, in fact, for Leave. Remarkable.
    The Times backed Remain. May will clearly win now, she was going to anyway even without this interview, take us into EFTA/EEA and probably do a free movement deal. Then the betrayal cries of the hardcore Leavers will arise and UKIP will aim to pick up where Leadsom left off
    I wasn't merely speaking of the Times - remainstream media is clearly not referencing just the times and this story, and Leaver backing media and commentators have backed May too, therefore dismissing attacks on Leadsome as from the 'remainstream media' by implication encompasses those bits and people we know were for leave.

We've seen it endlessly since the referendum.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,596
    surbiton said:

Pauly said:
    When you have to explain you have lost.

The Times will not have reported this without the evidence. They are professionals against an amateur who has just holed her campaign below the waterline.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493
    edited July 2016
    Ashcroft has been somewhat bitter of recent months but seems to have cheered up since Cameron announced his resignation. One of his better efforts:

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/751537500204793856

Edit - just seen that Scott posted it earlier. Oh well, it bears repeating.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PaulBrandITV: Worth questioning what phrase 'as a mother' meant during #EUref too. Benign on surface, but does it imply non-mothers don't always get it?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Charles said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

JohnO said:

When I think of how wonderful it is to have children, I feel nothing but compassion for those who can not.

As of now I don't believe her. But if she provides evidence to the contrary I will? If course, review my opinion

She doesn't have a transcript herself, which Harry Cole finds odd, as all other leadership campaigns have a press officer sitting in on interviews, recording them for such a happenstance.

Andrea Leadsom truly is an amateur, and we want her to lead our Brexit negotiations?
    The Times is supposed to be our premier newspaper. Can you not expect professional behaviour from their journalists, when dealing with a candidate for PM?
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

JohnO said:

Of course my children and grand children are the most precious part of our lives but to try to score points over someone who has been unable to experience the joy of children through no fault of their own is unacceptable, crass, and unbecoming of anyone seeking the highest office in the land
    Joy of children???

Clearly you've never had a child vomit into you face, mouth, eyes and nose when you're sleeping. I tell you, I didn't feel much joy opening my eyes and feeling them fill with a mixture stomach acid and semi-digested milk.
    Don't give them your left over champagne then!
    Are we back to @seanT again?
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    If Leadsome is right and the Times have shafted her she will gain plenty of support, and other papers anti her will have to call the dogs off.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Oh mate. Just noticed that I'm blocked by Andrea Leadsom on Twitter. :)
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Charles said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

JohnO said:

There is another point which is not ethnical, per se.

I posted earlier about my unease with Leadsom talking about difficult topics.

Tonight she was clearly discussing the implications of having children on a person's job and clearly lacked the tact or diplomacy to pull it off.

I really do think it sets the tone here.
  • Options
    Chris said:

The complete opposite of what she said? What does that mean?

That she said it _wasn't_ sad for Theresa May that she couldn't have children? That she said that having children _didn't_ give her (Leadsom) a stake in the country's future?

Being charitable, she presumably was not intending to be literal when saying it was the complete opposite, but was using the phrase figuratively as an emphasis on how wrong it was.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,441
    Does anyone believe Alan Duncan is really gay? He'll do anything to get a bit of publicity.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,643
    corporeal said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

JohnO said:

Is there an option to trade her away?
    Who do we want to trade her for?
  • Options

surbiton said:

Pauly said:

The Times will not have reported this without the evidence. They are professionals against an amateur who has just holed her campaign below the waterline.

This is going to lead tomorrows news. I expect Ms Leadsom to be vindicated.
  • Options
    Isabel Oakeshott ‏@IsabelOakeshott 19m19 minutes ago
    So disappointing that day ONE of contest between May/Leadsom descends into a row about motherhood. Leadsom waltzed into glaring trap
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@williamglenn

'://www.wsj.com/articles/leadsoms-resume-controversy-overblown-her-former-supervisor-says-1468000457

Leadsom’s Résumé Controversy Overblown, Her Former Supervisor Says
    ‘I would never, ever doubt her honesty,” Invesco executive says of PM candidate '

Oh dear, not what the frothers wanted to hear,they will now try to trash the reputation of her supervisor.

Don't need to - she has just lost it tonight all on her own
  • Options

If Leadsome is right and the Times have shafted her she will gain plenty of support, and other papers anti her will have to call the dogs off.

If she's even half right she will have gained plenty of ammunition.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016

Charles said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

JohnO said:

The Times is supposed to be our premier newspaper. Can you not expect professional behaviour from their journalists, when dealing with a candidate for PM?
    And you think the likes of Juncker will be ethical in the Brexit negotiations?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited July 2016
    IMO, Leadsom is doing herself more damage with her reaction than with the original comments themselves. Getting "so angry" and having a Twitter rant just over a newspaper article does not exactly seem like the type of person who's tough enough to go into a negotiating room with Putin.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:
    So Rachel Sylvester was the Times journo responsible.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,441
    edited July 2016

surbiton said:

Pauly said:

I suspect she did say the things reported, but only after being led there by the reporter.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    ToryJim said:

corporeal said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

chestnut said:

chestnut said:

JohnO said:

Is there an option to trade her away?
    Who do we want to trade her for?
    The new mayor of Rome.
  • Options
    Reality check. This is one headline + Twitter storm. Let's not get sucked into the bubble.

Most members will be safely tucked up in bed by now.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

surbiton said:

Pauly said:

They are one of the last bastions of professionals to be honest, if this had been The Sun I would have a salt cellars worth of pinching to take with it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,077
    You're all writing Andrea off tremendously quickly, just like Brexit....
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Lucky no second referendum,leave leaders have destroyed themselves,except one.

Farage ;-)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PaulBrandITV: Worth questioning what phrase 'as a mother' meant during #EUref too. Benign on surface, but does it imply non-mothers don't always get it?

No, not really, it's just lazy attempts to connect with the audience. Stuart and Leadsome were particularly robotic in parroting the line at Wembley, to the point Davidson had to mock the repetition (albeit by saying there were mothers on the Remain side too)
  • Options
    Oh FFS. Did Leadsom actually tell the Times she'd be a better leader than May because unlike her dodgy tubes she was at one point fertile? Holy fuck, she's an imbecile.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

Pauly said:

I suspect she did say the things reported, but only after being led there by the reporter.
    "Mrs Leadsom, how would you differentiate yourself from Mrs May? Why should members choose you?"

Yeah, I could see that.
  • Options
    @RupertMyers: Leadsom sympathisers saying she was "naive" rather than deliberately hurtful. These are perfect times for an untested, naive PM
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,059
    I've just asked Shadsy to open up a market on were Mrs May to win, what job will she offer to the loathsome Leadsom.

I reckon the odds will be thus

1/100 - Northern Ireland Secretary

1/1000 - UK Ambassador to the Islamic State
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

IMO, Leadsom is doing herself more damage with her reaction than with the original comments themselves. Getting "so angry" and having a Twitter rant just over a newspaper article does not exactly seem like the type of person who's tough enough to go into a negotiating room with Putin.

Quite
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

That depends - if she's right, her emotional reaction initially will be quickly forgotten.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,536
    Why did he need to preface it with 'I'm gay'. Gay couples can have children now too, see Elton John and David Furnish
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,127
    John_M said:

Reality check. This is one headline + Twitter storm. Let's not get sucked into the bubble.

Some may read the papers tomorrow!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,778
    HYUFD said:

Why did he need to preface it with 'I'm gay'. Gay couples can have children now too, see Elton John and David Furnish
    It's like TSE saying "as a Muslim".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,536
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I see the paranoid string of Leavers are in full swing still - it doesn't matter who wanted Brexit before, we are getting Brexit now, and its about who can get the best deal. If that's Leadsome, fine, that's an opinion, but it's not a Remain vs Leave fight anymore.

I presume Remainstream media also includes media which was, in fact, for Leave. Remarkable.
    The Times backed Remain. May will clearly win now, she was going to anyway even without this interview, take us into EFTA/EEA and probably do a free movement deal. Then the betrayal cries of the hardcore Leavers will arise and UKIP will aim to pick up where Leadsom left off
    I wasn't merely speaking of the Times - remainstream media is clearly not referencing just the times and this story, and Leaver backing media and commentators have backed May too, therefore dismissing attacks on Leadsome as from the 'remainstream media' by implication encompasses those bits and people we know were for leave.

Some sections of the Leave press eg the Daily Telegraph are more pro Leadsom than others
  • Options
    John_M said:

There was something earlier about Con party members. Apparently the newspapers they read are:The Times, Telegraph, and the Daily Mail.

I think this controversy may lead tomorrows news.
  • Options

Not going to happen - she has lost
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It's like TSE saying "as a Muslim".
    as a PB Tory, I object!
  • Options
    I feel confident in predicting no matter what she said Leadsome will still place as well as she would have previously. Which is well.
  • Options

I've just asked Shadsy to open up a market on were Mrs May to win, what job will she offer to the loathsome Leadsom.

Governorship of Southern Thule not on offer?
  • Options
    The press tried to crucify Corbyn, stories about him sh***ing Abbot etc, we all know what happened there.
  • Options

Has she registered her media work for Mothercare in Members Register?
  • Options
    I bet it went somthign like this:

Q. Do you think being a mother would help you to run the country?
    A. Yes of course.

Q. So it would be a benefit for the next PM to have children?
    A. yes, I mean, er, maybe.

Q. So if the next PM didn't have children that would be a problem...
    A. Er... no... wait

Q... like Theresa May?
    [Exeunt]
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

Pauly said:

I agree. I hope we see a transcript.

• Options
    What the hell is up with the ((( ))) people are using on tw@tter btw ?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Some sections of the Leave press eg the Daily Telegraph are more pro Leadsom than others
    Yes. There isn't a clear bloc. But talk of the 'remainstream media', like most use of 'mainstream media' is partisan, whingey bollocks. A rallying cry and that's it.
  • Options
    @PaulBrandITV: When the Woman of the Year 2015 is upset, you know your campaign's in trouble. https://t.co/ss0fpGI6O7
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. But talk of the 'remainstream media', like most use of 'mainstream media' is partisan, whingey bollocks. A rallying cry and that's it.
    Leave Guido Alone!
  • Options

The press tried to crucify Corbyn, stories about him sh***ing Abbot etc, we all know what happened there.

Revival in East German motorcycle tourism?
  • Options
    RobD said:

John_M said:

Some may read the papers tomorrow!
    I'm going to amble down to the local CC tomorrow, it's on the way to the butchers. I shall consult and then report back from the Wise Women, assuming they're not all golfing.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Pauly said:

Not a chance - her comments will end her campaign - why did she even go there
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It was originally a way for anti-semites to "mark" targets. The "targets" adopted it as a symbol of pride, that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

We had the answer to this the other night. If you were a hepcat, you'd know.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PaulBrandITV: When the Woman of the Year 2015 is upset, you know your campaign's in trouble. https://t.co/ss0fpGI6O7

Blimey.... titters
  • Options

Very true. See Ed Miliband also. His kitchen ffsake.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

surbiton said:

Pauly said:

Not willing to wait for the transcript? Speaks volumes...
  • Options

surbiton said:

Pauly said:

Tune in tomorrow, and find out.

• Options
    RobD said:

Revival in East German motorcycle tourism?
    lololol!!!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,059
    Pulpstar said:

To screw up some far right Nazi group who developed an algorithm to target Jewish users of twitter
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Farage ;-)

This is the Leave campaign in action:

https://youtu.be/NUHk2RSMCS8
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The thing that people will remember is that Leadsom is a mum, and May is not.

It may well be politically incorrect and taboo to say this but most people never love like they love their own children. It's an extremely emotional pull. All parents know it.
  • Options

I think I was the only person who thought better of Corbyn and Abbott from that 'revelation' - I thought it rather nice that they've been such close friends and allies for decades after any more intimate involvement ended.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Didn't end well for Ed or his stone.
  • Options
    There are two possibilities:

1) she didn't know about May's infertility, in which case she's a crass idiot.

2) she did know and she's just a nasty old trout
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Pulpstar said:

Something to do with misleading nazi types from identifying Jews.
  • Options

I bet it went somthign like this:

Q. Do you think being a mother would help you to run the country?
    A. Yes of course.

Q. So it would be a benefit for the next PM to have children?
    A. yes, I mean, er, maybe.

Q. So if the next PM didn't have children that would be a problem...
    A. Er... no... wait

Q... like Theresa May?
    [Exeunt]

Except the quotes are quotes; as in "". This means that they were exactly as the person said (except for removal of erms and ers). Basic ethics of journalism.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

It may well be politically incorrect and taboo to say this but most people never love like they love their own children. It's an extremely emotional pull. All parents know it.

For people with no compassion or heart for the person unable to have children. You're barking up the wrong tree here.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Farage ;-)

https://youtu.be/NUHk2RSMCS8
    lol
  • Options
    chestnut said:

That's not taboo, people say that all the time. I don't quite get why that would translate into more votes for either of them though. Fine, people never love like they love their own children. Do parents really think not knowing that love makes it harder to negotiate a trade deal or other government business?

Does Merkel have any children btw? No one questions her ability to do the job!
  • Options
    chestnut said:

It's not taboo to say you love your kids.

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT RUNNING THE COUNTRY HERE NOT HER KIDS
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

surbiton said:

Pauly said:

Whether she is or not she's either a fool for being suckered or a horrible human being. Neither suggests she should even be in the final two, let alone PM.
  • Options
    "Mr Cameron also confirmed for the first time yesterday since announcing his resignation that he wants to stay on as an MP after leaving Downing Street."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1415766/pm-david-cameron-angrily-denies-he-is-clinging-on-to-power-for-too-long/
  • Options

Farage ;-)

htps://youtu.be/NUHk2RSMCS8
    With the rather crucial difference that they won before destroying themselves. They might not get the Leave they wanted, some of them, but they will get Leave.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Well that one was self inflicted but I don't remember anything like the amount of vitriol being directed against Dave in GE2015 till the EURef.
    Funny that.
  • Options
    This forum seems to have been very busy since the newspaper reviews. Think this will be a mega storm tomorrow on the broadcast media. She may not survive this weekend even
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    chestnut said:

Yes, but it doesn't affect their eligibility to be prime minister. Now you have a little cry about how much you love your kiddies, and drink plenty of water before you go to bed.
  • Options
    Isabel Oakeshott ‏@IsabelOakeshott 2m2 minutes ago
    Journalists will now try to coax @andrealeadsom into talking about May's looks/weight/health. Guaranteed. I hope she sees the trap next time

That's if she's still in the campaign by Sunday.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

"Mr Cameron also confirmed for the first time yesterday since announcing his resignation that he wants to stay on as an MP after leaving Downing Street."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1415766/pm-david-cameron-angrily-denies-he-is-clinging-on-to-power-for-too-long/

So, a spare Earldom going around. Where's our JohnO?
  • Options
    midwinter said:

surbiton said:

Pauly said:

Whether she is or not she's either a fool for being suckered or a horrible human being. Neither suggests she should even be in the final two, let alone PM.
    Glad you're able to keep an open mind. Well done You. :)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

I read somewhere that there's a far right group was using it to mark accounts they suspected were of Jews and then using automatic software to fill up their accounts with racist filth. So some people started using it themselves (as non Jews) to confuse the bots
  • Options

This forum seems to have been very busy since the newspaper reviews. Think this will be a mega storm tomorrow on the broadcast media. She may not survive this weekend even

I wouldn't go that far.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016
    This opens up a whole host of other questions for Leadsome.

Gay adoption, fertility treatment etc etc.

We're in for quite a ride.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

surbiton said:

Pauly said:

Precisely. Although I blame the 84 MPs, rather than her.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Well that one was self inflicted but I don't remember anything like the amount of vitriol being directed against Dave in GE2015 till the EURef.
    Funny that.
    No bacon sandwiches involved though. I think the media went after Dave because his negotiation was crap. He didn't give it a proper try so they crucified him. It is also fair to say that the print media still holds a lot of power, I think the Sun, Mail and Telegraph swung a lot of voters for Leave in the same way the Guardian, Mirror and Independent couldn't.
This discussion has been closed.