Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From Ladbrokes and ConHome two factors that should raise a

Comments

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited July 2016
    Thrak said:

Thrak said:

Well I'm a floating voter, as it were. When Conservatives went too far right I voted for Blair, when they screwed up and started to go left I voted for Cameron. I can't possibly vote for Corbyn, I equally couldn't vote for Leadsom (experience wise but moreso on policy). So there's a ground there that would be left completely open (although reports of a labour split might fill that). I'd vote for May though, absolutely.

Mr Thrak., If I had a vote on our next PM (and in my opinion it is a scandal that so few do) then I would follow you. However that is beside the point.

Between, for example, the voters of the South Wales valleys, those of the inner cities and the rural shires there is considerable agreement on a lot of fundamentals. Hack out the tribalism and you will find that an awful lot agree of the fundamentals. That is what I mean by the common ground.

It may well be that keeping that tribalism going and preventing people from realising that they have a lot in common is actually a key part of political parties' strategy. Some of us on here moan about identity politics, but it seems actually to have become the norm. It is in all parties' interests to emphasise the differences.

The problem, perhaps, comes when we have a vote like the referendum. Then everyone has a vote that counts and the unemployed C2DE finds that they have common cause with the ABC1. Then the parties, as are, lose control.

What happens if a party taps into that "Common Ground"?
    My biggest fear is that parties coalesce around the sort of differences that the referendum showed. It doesn't do America any favours and to divide society in that way would cause many problems down the line, I feel.
    Quite. Mr Thrak, my point is what would happen if a party set out to, throw off the this identity politics rubbish that has so polluted our own political discourse (and was inherited from the USA) and went to work on the things that united the Welsh Valleys, the inner cities the rural shires, the ABC1s and the C2DEs?

I reckon that party would clean up.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,441
    MaxPB said:

The comparisons of Leadsom to Thatcher are also grossly unfair to Thatcher. Leadsom isn't even in the same league as Thatcher.

It's a sort of desperate attempt to apply some of that Thatcher magic to Leadsom, and it's bizarre.

Mrs Thatcher was at the intellectual vanguard of her party, alongside Keith Joseph and Nicholas Ridley. She was a woman who fought her way to the top of politics, when it genuinely was a struggle. She made it onto a post-doctoral course at Oxford, when such things were incredibly rare. And she was ramrod honest.

Andrea Leadsom is a woman with a middling City career, who repeated "we must take back control" a few times in a TV debate. And who has only a passing acquaintance with truth.

Other than being women, being Christian, and believing in climate change, what do they have in common?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    Mr. F, Attlee's an amateur compared to Farage when it comes to losing elections but having an impact ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,077

Pulpstar said:

@Sean_F There will need to be a new political system. The current structures on both sides of the House are being razed to the ground.

Everything that we have seen so far suggests that the new system will be vastly inferior to the old system, will lead to worse outcomes for every stratum of society and will lead to a diminished place for what is left of the country in world affairs.

The value of administrative competence will, I'm sure, become much more apparent after the event.

Yeah but everybody loves to watch a good car crash even if it slows them down !
    Not if they themselves are in the pile-up, though.
    Careful steering advisory !
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

The comparisons of Leadsom to Thatcher are also grossly unfair to Thatcher. Leadsom isn't even in the same league as Thatcher.

It's a sort of desperate attempt to apply some of that Thatcher magic to Leadsom, and it's bizarre.

Mrs Thatcher was at the intellectual vanguard of her party, alongside Keith Joseph and Nicholas Ridley. She was a woman who fought her way to the top of politics, when it genuinely was a struggle. She made it onto a post-doctoral course at Oxford, when such things were incredibly rare. And she was ramrod honest.

Andrea Leadsom is a woman with a middling City career, who repeated "we must take back control" a few times in a TV debate. And who has only a passing acquaintance with truth.

Other than being women, being Christian, and believing in climate change, what do they have in common?
    Very little indeed. It is the lamentable identity politics of today that has made everyone draw that false comparison. Conservative, woman and fairly right wing = Mrs T. Apparently.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

An exagerrated sense of their self importance? And hubris becoming nemesis?
  • Options
    postimage

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Peter Thompson
    Watch @andrealeadsom grill Bob Diamond, I agree with @faisalislam she is highly financially literate https://t.co/BAsCB7xyqm
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Peter Thompson
    Watch @andrealeadsom grill Bob Diamond, I agree with @faisalislam she is highly financially literate https://t.co/BAsCB7xyqm

I saw that clip. She was OK.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,102

@Sean_F There will need to be a new political system. The current structures on both sides of the House are being razed to the ground.

Everything that we have seen so far suggests that the new system will be vastly inferior to the old system, will lead to worse outcomes for every stratum of society and will lead to a diminished place for what is left of the country in world affairs.

The value of administrative competence will, I'm sure, become much more apparent after the event.

I think it all depends where you stand. For people like me, in the 1920's, the replacement of Con v Lib with Con v Lab was a disaster. For left-wingers, it was excellent news.

• Options

Thrak said:

Thrak said:

Well I'm a floating voter, as it were. When Conservatives went too far right I voted for Blair, when they screwed up and started to go left I voted for Cameron. I can't possibly vote for Corbyn, I equally couldn't vote for Leadsom (experience wise but moreso on policy). So there's a ground there that would be left completely open (although reports of a labour split might fill that). I'd vote for May though, absolutely.

Mr Thrak., If I had a vote on our next PM (and in my opinion it is a scandal that so few do) then I would follow you. However that is beside the point.

Between, for example, the voters of the South Wales valleys, those of the inner cities and the rural shires there is considerable agreement on a lot of fundamentals. Hack out the tribalism and you will find that an awful lot agree of the fundamentals. That is what I mean by the common ground.

It may well be that keeping that tribalism going and preventing people from realising that they have a lot in common is actually a key part of political parties' strategy. Some of us on here moan about identity politics, but it seems actually to have become the norm. It is in all parties' interests to emphasise the differences.

The problem, perhaps, comes when we have a vote like the referendum. Then everyone has a vote that counts and the unemployed C2DE finds that they have common cause with the ABC1. Then the parties, as are, lose control.

My biggest fear is that parties coalesce around the sort of differences that the referendum showed. It doesn't do America any favours and to divide society in that way would cause many problems down the line, I feel.
    Quite. Mr Thrak, my point is what would happen if a party set out to, throw off the this identity politics rubbish that has so polluted our own political discourse (and was inherited from the USA) and went to work on the things that united the Welsh Valleys, the inner cities the rural shires, the ABC1s and the C2DEs?

Isn't that just Identity politics dressed in a Union Jack?
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2016
    HaroldO said:

If Leadsom wins I'm going Lib Dem, sorry to say.
    I wander around that centre sphere anyway but if the Tories shift to the right I'm offski, because the sight of a female Alan Partridge taking over the Tory party makes me feel queasy.

I have read on PB several people stating this as if May is more liberal than Leadsom when the opposite is true. But do carry on believing what you do and join the illiberal statist LDs.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Michael Crick — Tory ballot papers won't go out for 40 days.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I am sure someone must have pointed this out but Con Home cannot claim it to be a vote of Con party members, so its tripe at best, voodoo at worst and should be absolutely ignored.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    Eyes are going fuzzy, so I'm off.
  • Options

Mr. F, Attlee's an amateur compared to Farage when it comes to losing elections but having an impact ;)

Yes. Farage has had a remarkable impact.

nunu said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

So no surprise if the activists again choose the person who they love but is at the same time unelectable. They may think that doesn't matter as she'll beat Corbyn but if Labour get a decent leader it's blindingly obvious that May would be far stronger at the next GE

I don't think it's obvious at all. May is not a proven campaigner and Leadsom is likely to win a large chunk of the UKIP vote (and would-be UKIP switchers from Labour) which will provide a buffer in many marginals.
    The problem with that is that winning a GE is about winning seats, not votes.

And you maximise seats by winning the middle ground floating voters - which is why Blair had such a brilliant votes to seats conversion rate and why Cameron has now got Con into a much

Picking up the old buffer UKIP vote won't gain net seats if floating votes are lost directly over to Lab - which they will be with Leadsom's social policies.
    But hasn't the EU Referendum showed that the so-called "centre-ground" voters are really not that centrist at all?

If the centre ground means anything, it's the likes of Basildon, Nuneaton, Cannock Chase, Worcester, Bury. All of them (and most of the other typical bellwether constituenices in general elections) delivered heavy Leave wins. They seem to quite like "social conservative" policies, while they also placed no store at all in what the Establishment considers to be "economic credibility" or in the opinions of big businesses.

Though that's not to say Leadsom would do better for the Tories than May (it's less their policies but the fact that May looks and sounds like a natural leader, whereas Leadsom still seems clearly out of her depth.)
    Good post, Mr565, though I am not to sure about the last paragraph.

This business and fascination with the centre ground on this site never ceases to amaze me. Many posters on here seem to be sure that the centre ground exists and it is where they are or at least can be found by triangulation. The idea, first proposed many years ago, that the whole idea of the centre ground is rubbish and it is the common ground that matters seems to have passed them by.

The greatest politicians pull the centre ground towards them.
    Like Thatcher :)
    And Tony Blair.
    No, Blair wanted us to be at the heart of Europe. He failed. Utterly.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

I wander around that centre sphere anyway but if the Tories shift to the right I'm offski, because the sight of a female Alan Partridge taking over the Tory party makes me feel queasy.

I have read on PB several people stating this as if May is more liberal than Leadsom when the opposite is true. But do carry on believing what you do and join the illiberal statist LDs.
    Ms May is no great shakes in the liberalism department, that's for sure.

The only problem is that I have absolutely no idea if Leadsom is any better.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,560
    AndyJS said:

A long contest favours May as Leadsom will need to keep the momentum up for longer without a major slip up.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Mr. O, just out of interest, are you a member of the Conservative party who actually has a vote for who our next prime minister will be?
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

Thrak said:

Thrak said:

Quite. Mr Thrak, my point is what would happen if a party set out to, through off the this identity politics rubbish that has so polluted our own political discourse (and was inherited from the USA) and went to work on the things that united the Welsh Valleys, the inner cities the rural shires, the ABC1s and the C2DEs?

...and I may well emigrate (seriously).

It's interesting looking at the major two party figures on the other side of the Atlantic, a competent female career politician (mostly) plus a man not in tune with the party hierarchy who appeals to the fringe. We will probably end up with the same here and that's fine.

On the other hand, we could end up with two people not in tune with the party's hierarchy and then all bets are off, with a significant chance of a new grouping including elements split off from both parties as a result.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

HaroldO said:

Mr. O, just out of interest, are you a member of the Conservative party who actually has a vote for who our next prime minister will be?
    Nope, I have considered it but those ideas came far too late for the current run off.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

An exagerrated sense of their self importance? And hubris becoming nemesis?
    When Mrs Thatcher progressed from hubris to nemesis, she had changed modern Britain.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

I meant vote Lib Dem, which wasn't too clear heh.

Do I think May is a open liberal? Nope. But then that isn't the reason I don't like Leadsom.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

So no surprise if the activists again choose the person who they love but is at the same time unelectable. They may think that doesn't matter as she'll beat Corbyn but if Labour get a decent leader it's blindingly obvious that May would be far stronger at the next GE

I don't think it's obvious at all. May is not a proven campaigner and Leadsom is likely to win a large chunk of the UKIP vote (and would-be UKIP switchers from Labour) which will provide a buffer in many marginals.

And you maximise seats by winning the middle ground floating voters - which is why Blair had such a brilliant votes to seats conversion rate and why Cameron has now got Con into a much more favourable votes to seats conversion rate than Lab.

Picking up the old buffer UKIP vote won't gain net seats if floating votes are lost directly over to Lab - which they will be with Leadsom's social policies.
    But hasn't the EU Referendum showed that the so-called "centre-ground" voters are really not that centrist at all?

If the centre ground means anything, it's the likes of Basildon, Nuneaton, Cannock Chase, Worcester, Bury. All of them (and most of the other typical bellwether constituenices in general elections) delivered heavy Leave wins. They seem to quite like "social conservative" policies, while they also placed no store at all in what the Establishment considers to be "economic credibility" or in the opinions of big businesses.

Though that's not to say Leadsom would do better for the Tories than May (it's less their policies but the fact that May looks and sounds like a natural leader, whereas Leadsom still seems clearly out of her depth.)

This business and fascination with the centre ground on this site never ceases to amaze me. Many posters on here seem to be sure that the centre ground exists and it is where they are or at least can be found by triangulation. The idea, first proposed many years ago, that the whole idea of the centre ground is rubbish and it is the common ground that matters seems to have passed them by.

And Tony Blair.
    No Blair didn't move the centre towards him he simply moved his party to where he thought it was. A key difference.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

It's interesting looking at the major two party figures on the other side of the Atlantic, a competent female career politician (mostly) plus a man not in tune with the party hierarchy who appeals to the fringe. We will probably end up with the same here and that's fine.

On the other hand, we could end up with two people not in tune with the party's hierarchy and then all bets are off, with a significant chance of a new grouping including elements split off from both parties as a result.

Lost me on that one old boy. I think you said that if a political party did emerge that tried to play for the common ground you would emigrate, after that you lost me.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HaroldO said:

Agreed. With May it's a case of what you see is what you get. She'll compromise on free movement to keep us in the single market and be economically relatively solid, but be fairly authoritarian. With Leadsom I don't think she would compromise and we'd end up leaving the single market or lose an election to Labour once the economy goes into a tailspin after announcing our plan to go for WTO terms. The short term hit to our liberties is probably a fair trade for staying in the single market.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

So no surprise if the activists again choose the person who they love but is at the same time unelectable. They may think that doesn't matter as she'll beat Corbyn but if Labour get a decent leader it's blindingly obvious that May would be far stronger

And you maximise seats by winning the middle ground floating voters - which is why Blair had such a brilliant votes to seats conversion rate and why Cameron has now got Con into a much more favourable votes to seats conversion rate than Lab.

And Tony Blair.
    No Blair didn't move the centre towards him he simply moved his party to where he thought it was. A key difference.
    We should also remember Blair won his huge majorities on falling turnouts.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    edited July 2016
    Danny565 said:

Murray two sets up.

Dull match though. Everyone seems bored, including the players.

Serena Williams's procession to the title tomorrow will probably be even duller.
    Now that it's considered a good idea to pay women's tennis the same at Wimbledon and allow woman into the infantry. Isn't it time we we got rid of the outdated segregation of men and womens sport and combine them.

Surely it's only fair?
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    edited July 2016

Thrak said:

Lost me on that one old boy. I think you said that if a political party did emerge that tried to play for the common ground you would emigrate, after that you lost me.
    I thought you were referring to the sort of populist party that trades in xenophobia and generally nasty identity politics that demonises others. If I got the wrong end of the stick, my apologies. Anyway, if it was that sort of party then I would emigrate, if it was inclusive and truly centrist then I wouldn't (naturally!)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

HaroldO said:

On the matter of EU people already here, Leadsom clearly has a more liberal approach.
    Who would stand up to the establishment better for our privacy and civil liberties? It is hard to see anyone being worse than Mrs May. That said I think that at the moment Mrs May is the better option as PM because of the MP votes and let Mrs Leadsom lead a big department.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Do I think May is a open liberal? Nope. But then that isn't the reason I don't like Leadsom.
    What I challenge is the way in which Mrs May has become some form of "saviour" for the lefties in the media and they are piling the shite on Mrs Leadsom just because she was on the LEAVE side.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Peter Thompson

I could do as well. I'm a lawyer. I bet she couldn't do as well at law. That involves honesty.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,750

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

What I challenge is the way in which Mrs May has become some form of "saviour" for the lefties in the media and they are piling the shite on Mrs Leadsom just because she was on the LEAVE side.
    It isn't just because she was on the Leave side, unless you think all the other reasons - inexperience et al - they are giving are false, in which case just say they're all liars.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,560
    matt said:

PlatoSaid said:

Peter Thompson

I could do as well. I'm a lawyer. I bet she couldn't do as well at law. That involves honesty.
    Could you ride the political currents at Westminster to get into 10 Downing Street though?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    matt said:

PlatoSaid said:

Peter Thompson

Err...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HaroldO said:

Agreed. With May it's a case of what you see is what you get. She'll compromise on free movement to keep us in the single market and be economically relatively solid, but be fairly authoritarian. With Leadsom I don't think she would compromise and we'd end up leaving the single market or lose an election to Labour once the economy goes into a tailspin after announcing our plan to go for WTO terms. The short term hit to our liberties is probably a fair trade for staying in the single market.
    I would hope you are right about Mrs May but where is her plan for tackling new immigration in the post Brexit world? This is her back yard and yet we have nothing about changing to a contribution system or paying fees for NHS or work permit fees etc etc....... If she has nothing to address this problem she is starting to look like G. Brown one who plotted to be PM and then had no fecking clue what to do when he got it. Brown also shares May's tendency to meddle in the minutae which led to ossification in the Govt decision taking.
  • Options

Thrak said:

Thrak said:

No, Dr. Sox, it is a thought, a question if you like, about what would happen if a party gave up on identity politics and tried to get elected and then govern for the benefit of all rather than just their self-perceived client groups.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Fair enough. The fact she was a leaver is not a definitive black mark for me, just her ideas remind me of IDS which is a world of Tory naval gazing I don't want a centrist party to go back to.
    With Labour going left, it would leave a large centre ground only covered by the Lib Dems....if Charles Kennedy had been ten years younger..
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

It isn't just because she was on the Leave side, unless you think all the other reasons - inexperience et al - they are giving are false, in which case just say they're all liars.
    The experience issue is fair. But then Mrs May has only been in the Home office and none of the other 20+ departments............ Of course both of them have more Govt experience and more Management experience than Osborne or Cameron did prior to 2010.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

matt said:

PlatoSaid said:

Peter Thompson

Err...
    It does. Really. It's also a great deal easier as a transactional lawyer if you have a reputation for honesty and straight dealing.
  • Options

matt said:

PlatoSaid said:

Peter Thompson

Could you ride the political currents at Westminster to get into 10 Downing Street though?
    No. I quite value my soul.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    AndyJS said:

That guarantees a Leadsom win.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Fair enough. The fact she was a leaver is not a definitive black mark for me, just her ideas remind me of IDS which is a world of Tory naval gazing I don't want a centrist party to go back to.
    With Labour going left, it would leave a large centre ground only covered by the Lib Dems....if Charles Kennedy had been ten years younger..
    She has far more business experience than IDS and is a far better communicator.
  • Options
    matt said:

PlatoSaid said:

Peter Thompson

Sorry, Matt, are you saying that the practice of the Law requires honesty?

Let us take that a little further, that Barrister does he have to honestly believe in what he is saying?
  • Options

Thrak said:

Thrak said:

No, Dr. Sox, it is a thought, a question if you like, about what would happen if a party gave up on identity politics and tried to get elected and then govern for the benefit of all rather than just their self-perceived client groups.
    But I think that what is likely to occur is just a different sort of identity politics, just based on different views of identity, and a purple type of identity at that. What I am saying, is that Nationalism is a form of identity politics.
  • Options

matt said:

PlatoSaid said:

Peter Thompson

Let us take that a little further, that Barrister does he have to honestly believe in what he is saying?
    A barrister represents his client's interests. That may involve presenting a defence. It does not involve lying to the court. Examples otherwise, please. Otherwise it's the usual "misunderstanding" of what being counsel involves. ie Daily Mail bs.

I've never been in court.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

Thrak said:

I thought you were referring to the sort of populist party that trades in xenophobia and generally nasty identity politics that demonises others. If I got the wrong end of the stick, my apologies. Anyway, if it was that sort of party then I would emigrate, if it was inclusive and truly centrist then I wouldn't (naturally!)
    Mr. Thrak,

No I wan't saying anything more than I said, what would happen if a political party stopped worrying about "their" people and governed in the interests of all the people?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,891
    matt said:

MaxPB said:

matt said:

PlatoSaid said:

Peter Thompson

Err...
    It does. Really. It's also a great deal easier as a transactional lawyer if you have a reputation for honesty and straight dealing.
    There may be some contradictions in that!

I'd suggest that the number of lawyers worldwide that have a reputation as you describe is almost zero. I can get in a cab and the guy drives me around the corner for 100 meters and says 'no charge' - I'm not sure lawyers are so honorable.

You do to some extent sell your reputations for honesty and straight dealing. And when you sell it you diminish it a little.

The Law is a great calling in life - the difficulty is that it has to provide its practitioners with a living.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,596
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Why - there is no guarantee either way and 40 days is a sensible time with holidays and campaigns to be aired and hopefully broadcast media head to heads. No one can be sure either way at this time
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,949
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

I don't think it's obvious at all. May is not a proven camaigner and Leadsom is likely to win a large chunk of the UKIP vote (and would-be UKIP switchers from Labour) which will provide a buffer in many marginals.

If the centre ground anything, it's the likes of Basildon, Nuneaton, Cannock Chase, Worcester, Bury. All of them (and most of the other typical bellwether constituenices in general elections) delivered heavy Leave wins. They seem to quite like "social conservative" policies, while they also placed no store at all in what the Establishment considers to be "economic credibility" or in the opinions of big businesses.

And Tony Blair.
    You're very wrong. Blair dragged the Tories and thereby the centre to the left.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,147
    AndyJS said:
    "behaving like silly children" for refusing to make hacks' lives easier with irrelevances.

If the media would care more about analysis than gossip, they might be more respected and valuable. They might have started by covering the referendum as a policy crisis or decision point rather than a Tory internal spat, but we saw how that transpired.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

"Steve Bell, the president of the Conservative Party’s National Convention which represents the party’s voluntary associations, said he was “expecting” Mrs Leadsom to win."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/08/mps-facing-a-wake-up-call-when-they-find-out-levels-of-support-f/

The news came as it emerged that the Tory party’s membership has swelled in size since David Cameron quit, with 10,000 new members joining in the four days after his resignation.
    Under Tory rules, that 10k won't be able to vote. Duh!
    9k will not renew their membership nest year either
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,077
    40 days - Will the Tory selectorate be tempted by the Devil ?
  • Options
    EPG said:

AndyJS said:
    "behaving like silly children" for refusing to make hacks' lives easier with irrelevances.

If the media would care more about analysis than gossip, they might be more respected and valuable. They might have started by covering the referendum as a policy crisis or decision point rather than a Tory internal spat, but we saw how that transpired.
    Is Leadsom related to Douglas Hurd ?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Why - there is no guarantee either way and 40 days is a sensible time with holidays and campaigns to be aired and hopefully broadcast media head to heads. No one can be sure either way at this time
    It's also biblical enough to suit both candidates.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,346
    edited July 2016
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Hard to know either way.

My initial reaction was that a quick contest would favour May as Leadsom wouldn't have enough time to build her profile.

But then on the other hand it could be that there is an initial wave of enthusiasm for Leadsom which then settles down after a few weeks as people think about it a bit more soberly - which could then actually benefit May.

So maybe the precise timing won't actually make much difference either way.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,147
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:
    Fun as it may be to imagine, I don't see the DUB part. My impression is that it is a great city to live in for the average or above-average earner - but not particularly for the global top 0.1 percenters who would be more likely to find their particular desires catered to in Paris. I doubt there are as many operas, boutiques or international schools in DUB.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    matt said:

matt said:

PlatoSaid said:

Peter Thompson

A barrister represents his client's interests. That may involve presenting a defence. It does not involve lying to the court. Examples otherwise, please. Otherwise it's the usual "misunderstanding" of what being counsel involves. ie Daily Mail bs.

I've never been in court.
    I have.

The criminal bar is a game, played to a set of rules. Truth and justice have nothing to do with it. The barrister may well present a complete pack of lies to the court and that is OK (under the rules) as long as he/she doesn't believe they are a pack of lies (yeah, right). That same rule applies equally to the prosecution and the defence.

Many years ago I attended a lecture by a rising member of the Junior Bar (he subsequently became a QC then a judge and, I think, he is still alive so I shan't name him on here) that was a real eye opener. Furthermore when I did get involved in the system nothing he said appeared to be untrue, though it was very useful.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MikeL said:

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Hard to know either way.

My initial reaction was that a quick contest would favour May as Leadsom wouldn't have enough time to build her profile.

But then on the other hand it could be that there is an initial wave of enthusiasm for Leadsom which then settles down after a few weeks as people think about it a bit more soberly - which could then actually benefit May.

The interesting issue will be the polling on who the public want and would vote for. Leadsom had a poor poll a few days ago and comparisons on her various strength's compared to May were devastatingly poor.

If these improve over time she will benefit from them but if in 40 days they are as bad or worse than members will vote for May in the best interest of the party and Country. Leadsom's time will come but she needs testing in a cabinet role
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,346
    edited July 2016
    One way a long contest could favour May is that she has more resources at her disposal in terms of MPs and other well known people.

So a longer contest gives more time for these people to make their views known and thus potentially influence members.

She also has just about all the press on her side. She should presumably be drawing up a news grid for key announcements / endorsements to be made at strategic moments.

I'd start off with probably the two most influential heavyweights who will obviously be supporting her - ie Major and Hague - to announce their support and do TV interviews just as ballot papers go out.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,985

MikeL said:

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Hard to know either way.

The interesting issue will be the polling on who the public want and would vote for. Leadsom had a poor poll a few days ago and comparisons on her various strength's compared to May were devastatingly poor.

If these improve over time she will benefit from them but if in 40 days they are as bad or worse than members will vote for May in the best interest of the party and Country. Leadsom's time will come but she needs testing in a cabinet role
    How will Boris's support go down though?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    MikeL said:

I'd start off with probably the two most influential heavyweights who will obviously be supporting her - ie Major and Hague - to announce their support and do TV interviews just as ballot papers go out.

Sounds like you missed the whole referendum campaign. Let me fill you in ...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,127
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Nailed on? :p I assume you'll be betting everything on Leadsom then? :)

• Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

I am surprised that you seem to think May has a chance. May is establishment. The Tory party is foaming............
  • Options
    Freggles said:
    Nothing to do with politics this time. I am SO glad I'm middle aged. The majority of my stupidity, gaucheness and naivety is safely obscured by a pre-Internet age. I would hate to be dragging some kind of digital ball & chain behind me if I were young again.
  • Options

MikeL said:

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Hard to know either way.

How will Boris's support go down though?
    What if Gove comes out for May in a continuation grudge match
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,891
    John_M said:

Freggles said:
    Nothing to do with politics this time. I am SO glad I'm middle aged. The majority of my stupidity, gaucheness and naivety is safely obscured by a pre-Internet age. I would hate to be dragging some kind of digital ball & chain behind me if I were young again.
    You think, and then you decide. Nothing has changed.

I'm sorry to disappoint you in this, but you're as relevant today as you ever were. That applies to me too, so things are really grim :)
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,217
    edited July 2016

Thrak said:

Thrak said:

Mr. Thrak,

No I wan't saying anything more than I said, what would happen if a political party stopped worrying about "their" people and governed in the interests of all the people?
    In practice I'm struggling to discern a coherent set of policies, economic, social, cultural etc that would work in the interests and capture the allegiance of ALL the people?

They voted Leave with conviction: but that apart how much in common - across even a narrow range - does an unemployed and resentful ex semi-skilled worker in Sunderland have with (let's be a little naughty), say, Robert Smithson, Max or indeed your esteemed self?

It's an important question and I'm interested in how such a transformed polity might be effected.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

nunu said:

nunu said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

I don't think it's obvious at all. May is not a proven camaigner and Leadsom is likely to win a large chunk of the UKIP vote (and would-be UKIP switchers from Labour) which will provide a buffer in many marginals.

If the centre ground anything, it's the likes of no store at all in what the Establishment considers to be "economic credibility" or in the opinions of big businesses.

And Tony Blair.
    You're very wrong. Blair dragged the Tories and thereby the centre to the left.
    He did. But, he still failed in his greatest objective, placing Britain in the heart of Europe.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    MikeL said:

One way a long contest could favour May is that she has more resources at her disposal in terms of MPs and other well known people.

So a longer contest gives more time for these people to make their views known and thus potentially influence members.

She also has just about all the press on her side. She should presumably be drawing up a news grid for key announcements / endorsements to be made at strategic moments.

Aren't those MPs hoping that members don't find out their Remain views?

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,480

Pulpstar said:

Yeah but everybody loves to watch a good car crash even if it slows them down !
    Not if they themselves are in the pile-up, though.
    Talking of pile-ups, a friend of ours was twenty cars down the road from this unusual crash:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-36629540
  • Options
    DaveDaveDaveDave Posts: 76
    In my constituency, the Association are politely asking which candidate we prefer. But I already know that all the leading members and the MP are May loyalists. they are simply hunting down the Leadsom fans, who will be exterminated at the earliest opportunity. The MP is a fanatical left wing, May fan. he has nothing in common with members, nor do the Association committee, all as left wing as Neil Kinnock essentially.

I've told all decent right winger in the party that are UKIP light to keep their heads down. Long Live Leadsom
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

I am surprised that you seem to think May has a chance. May is establishment. The Tory party is foaming............
    You are basing that on what exactly?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    JohnO said:

It's an important question and I'm interested in how such a transformed polity might be effected.

It's interesting to me that we've had a real glimpse of what our politicians actually think of us. In a word: not much.

From my side of the political fence, I would like to see a Conservative government that did more for young people, rather than merely coddling us pensioners. They assume a level of self-interest that I'm not sure exists as widely as they think, so they simply stuff our mouths with gold. That's a little tawdry.

The transformation might be as simple as trusting that the voters might have more refined sensibilities than they think, and are able to look at a bigger picture.

Part of my cynicism is due to the fact that tax rises are hidden and howled down if they're even mooted. Thatcher's reign had pretty high tax rates. Labour in particular should not be ashamed to argue for more taxation in return for better services. That taxation should be inclusive; it's no good just looking to bash the bankers.

Returning (like a dog to some particularly unlovely vomit) to the Remain campaign, Mr Cameron might have done better to just open up with (using IFS figures) "We can certainly leave the European Union. It's going to cost us around £30 billion to do so over the next three years. We'll have a surcharge to cover that initial cost of x% on income tax).

Am I being too optimistic?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Thrak said:

Thrak said:

Mr. Thrak,

In practice I'm struggling to discern a coherent set of policies, economic, social, cultural etc that would work in the interests and capture the allegiance of ALL the people?

They voted Leave with conviction: but that apart how much in common - across even a narrow range - does an unemployed and resentful ex semi-skilled worker in Sunderland have with (let's be a little naughty), say, Robert Smithson, Max or indeed your esteemed self?

Mr. JohnO, dearly love to answer you, but a couple of months ago you forbade me from speaking to you. God bless.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061
    Please. Don't have nightmares. Sleep well. Leadson as pm is extremely unlikely.... gulp..
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,831

Where is this administrative competence of which you speak? Osborne and his bunch of 18 year olds running the treasury? No contingency planning for things we don't like? This is the least competent Government in living memory - probably in dead memory too.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016

Thrak said:

The way I see it is;

The ABC1 kipper-leaning tories and the WWC C2DE kipper-leaning labourites are both fighting for the bit of the pie that they believe the foreigners are currently getting. After 4 years of a May/Leadsome government sharing the spoils of the brexit bonanza - the elderly ABC1 tory/kipper client vote will get most of this extra share of the pie - at the expense of everyone else.

That in itself will cause resentment in the WWC C2DE kipper-leaning labourites, but the big problem is when (as likely) the pie itself shrinks over that time - relative to what it would have been if we'd stayed in the EU - and relative to peoples expectations of the pie continuing to expand.

There's also the very real possibility tht the pie shrinks in absolute terms, too.

That's the tension which will undermine the kipper/leave electoral coalition going forward, IMO.
  • Options

Please. Don't have nightmares. Sleep well. Leadson as pm is extremely unlikely.... gulp..

If she is, let's invite May to our party :D
  • Options

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

HaroldO said:

I would hope you are right about Mrs May but where is her plan for tackling new immigration in the post Brexit world? This is her back yard and yet we have nothing about changing to a contribution system or paying fees for NHS or work permit fees etc etc....... If she has nothing to address this problem she is starting to look like G. Brown one who plotted to be PM and then had no fecking clue what to do when he got it. Brown also shares May's tendency to meddle in the minutae which led to ossification in the Govt decision taking.
    May, Cameron and Osborne have never had any interest in tacking immigration. They just pretended. Hence May not being able to stop ex-EU immigration. She could control it but wouldn't. Leadsom will actually dal with it and good on her.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    DaveDave said:

In my constituency, the Association are politely asking which candidate we prefer. But I already know that all the leading members and the MP are May loyalists. they are simply hunting down the Leadsom fans, who will be exterminated at the earliest opportunity. The MP is a fanatical left wing, May fan. he has nothing in common with members, nor do the Association committee, all as left wing as Neil Kinnock essentially.

I've told all decent right winger in the party that are UKIP light to keep their heads down. Long Live Leadsom

If the committee have nothing in common with the members, how do they get elected?
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Anyone know how to organise a military coup?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,217
    edited July 2016

JohnO said:

Thrak said:

Thrak said:

Mr. Thrak,

Mr. JohnO, dearly love to answer you, but a couple of months ago you forbade me from speaking to you. God bless.
    If it means so much to you - as it so demonstrably does - and as my compassion is boundless, any perceived proscription is herewith revoked: you are now in all conscience free to engage.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,937

Where is this administrative competence of which you speak? Osborne and his bunch of 18 year olds running the treasury? No contingency planning for things we don't like? This is the least competent Government in living memory - probably in dead memory too.
    Their real incompetence was holding a referendum where the superficially attractive Leave option could seriously damage the country. But I guess you don't agree with that?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MatthewSDent: @mutablejoe @PrimlyStable Weird how when Andy Murray wins Wimbledon he's "British", but when Andrea Leadsom wins Wimbledon she's "lying".
  • Options

DaveDave said:

If the committee have nothing in common with the members, how do they get elected?
    Utter stitch up. MP leans on members to back the lefties on the committee claiming they are decent people. They all get elected without anyone standing against them and members nod it through. Any normal person trying to get onto committee gets the bum's rush. Utter f*cking stitch up.

The committee back MP for re-selection without any competition. Members then nod that through. Utter utter stitch up.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Just like their support for Remain swung it.

Someone is saying that it will be six weeks before the ballot papers go out - assuming that there are still two candidates by then.

Im beginning to wonder if Gove was a May supporter all along. He saw to it that the only candidate who could have beaten May in the final two - boris - didnt get on the ballot.

• Options
    Pong said:

Thrak said:

The way I see it is;

The ABC1 kipper-leaning tories and the WWC C2DE kipper-leaning labourites are both fighting for the bit of the pie that they believe the foreigners are currently getting. After 4 years of a May/Leadsome government sharing the spoils of the brexit bonanza - the elderly ABC1 tory/kipper client vote will get most of this extra share of the pie - at the expense of everyone else.

That in itself will cause resentment in the WWC C2DE kipper-leaning labourites, but the big problem is when (as likely) the pie itself shrinks over that time - relative to what it would have been if we'd stayed in the EU - and relative to peoples expectations of the pie continuing to expand.

There's also the very real possibility tht the pie shrinks in absolute terms, too.

That's the tension which will undermine the kipper/leave electoral coalition going forward, IMO.
    Both groups can feast off the metrosexuals.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Thrak said:

The way I see it is;

That's the tension which will undermine the kipper/leave electoral coalition going forward.
    Mr. Pong, I think you maybe concentrating too much on money and looking at too short a timescale. Have a look at one nation conservatism a la Disraeli. That wasn't a sort of Labour-lite as we understand to today, but the forging of interests between the newly enfranchised "oiks" and those that had the dosh already.

If you are interested in this set of ideas then you might like to listen to David Starkey in 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj3Mtq6BlA8

• Options
    Fenman said:

Anyone know how to organise a military coup?

Observe the Labour party. Do the opposite.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,257
    If I hadn’t been depressed about the country’s future before this thread .......

Things have rarely looked so bad. In peacetime anyway.
  • Options

If I hadn’t been depressed about the country’s future before this thread .......

Pfft. Let's keep some perspective. One of the wealthiest, most respected countries in the world might become a little bit less wealthy. The End.

Hardly the stuff of Greek tragedy.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

Pfft. Let's keep some perspective. One of the wealthiest, most respected countries in the world might become a little bit less wealthy. The End.

Hope you’re right. Trouble is the b*stards like Cameron and Osborne who got us into this mess will come out smelling of roses.

IT’s as the old song says “It’s the rich wot makes the trouble/It’s the poor wot gets the blame"
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016
    <
    John_M said:

Indeed. And if the remaining 95% of the wealth is spread around more evenly then most people will be better off.

I am expecting though the quality of politics to improve over the next decade. Parliament will now have real power again and not just be a glorified county council chamber. That will attract better more independent minded candidates.

• Options

John_M said:

Hope you’re right. Trouble is the b*stards like Cameron and Osborne who got us into this mess will come out smelling of roses.

IT’s tas the old song says “It’s the rich wot makes the trouble/It’s the poor wot gets the blame"
    I'm not omniscient, so of course I could be wrong. But I'm always interested in unpicking what people are worrying about. Pick a number. Worst case, how much smaller do you think the economy might be in, say, 3 years? Ignoring all the experts, what's your thought? In percent?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016
    Sean_F said:

Pong said:

Thrak said:

The way I see it is;

Both groups can feast off the metrosexuals.
    I think they tried that in Cambodia a while back.

Mixed results.
  • Options
    John_M said:

That's what's so odd. People talk about modest changes in GDP as if they amounted to some form of calamity.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

IT’s tas the old song says “It’s the rich wot makes the trouble/It’s the poor wot gets the blame"
    I'm not omniscient, so of course I could be wrong. But I'm always interested in unpicking what people are worrying about. Pick a number. Worst case, how much smaller do you think the economy might be in, say, 3 years? Ignoring all the experts, what's your thought? In percent?
    It’s not just the economy. It’s the political situation. I fear we’re going to have some rather unpleasant characters at the top of politics over the next few years.
This discussion has been closed.