Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From Ladbrokes and ConHome two factors that should raise a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,723
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From Ladbrokes and ConHome two factors that should raise a doubt amongst Theresa May backers

80% OF bets placed on the Tory leadership contest since the final two have been announced are for Andrea Leadsom, according to Ladbrokes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited July 2016
    Hello New thread.

I appear to be Numero Uno

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    FPT:
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

So no surprise if the activists again choose the person who they love but is at the same time unelectable. They may think that doesn't matter as she'll beat Corbyn but if Labour get a decent leader it's blindingly obvious that May would be far stronger at the next GE

I don't think it's obvious at all. May is not a proven campaigner and Leadsom is likely to win a large chunk of the UKIP vote (and would-be UKIP switchers from Labour) which will provide a buffer in many marginals.
    The problem with that is that winning a GE is about winning seats, not votes.

And you maximise seats by winning the middle ground floating voters - which is why Blair had such a brilliant votes to seats conversion rate and why Cameron has now got Con into a much more favourable votes to seats conversion rate than Lab.

Picking up the old buffer UKIP vote won't gain net seats if floating votes are lost directly over to Lab - which they will be with Leadsom's social policies.
    But hasn't the EU Referendum showed that the so-called "centre-ground" voters are really not that centrist at all?

If the centre ground means anything, it's the likes of Basildon, Nuneaton, Cannock Chase, Worcester, Bury. All of them (and most of the other typical bellwether constituenices in general elections) delivered heavy Leave wins. They seem to quite like "social conservative" policies, while they also placed no store at all in what the Establishment considers to be "economic credibility" or in the opinions of big businesses.

Though that's not to say Leadsom would do better for the Tories than May (it's less their policies but the fact that May looks and sounds like a natural leader, whereas Leadsom still seems clearly out of her depth.)
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited July 2016
    Just as an observation:

% of bets on Remain up to and including 23/07/2016?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Not too surprised. I did say May's decision not to opt for Gove may come back to haunt her. I don't get why she didn't pick a weaker opponent.

FPT: For those into history, reviewed an Alfred biography here:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/review-alfred-great-by-justin-pollard.html
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    You might want to add the following tweet to the thread header:

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/751445720310353920
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Not too surprised. I did say May's decision not to opt for Gove may come back to haunt her. I don't get why she didn't pick a weaker opponent.

I thought Tory MPs voted Leadsom onto the final ballet. FA to do with May.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,010
    The Con Home survey was an unweighted volunteer "Voodoo" poll.

The YouGov poll of Conservative Party members (field work 1-4 July) on the other hand was a weighted professionally conducted poll. It showed May on 63% and Leadsom on 31%.

http://bit.ly/29tmRyG

Even among the Leavers, it broke 49/45 for May/Leadsom. Among Remainers, it broke 92/4 for May/Leadsom.

This was before the fuss and ridicule over Leadsom's CV and tax returns.

The polls, anecdotes and reasoning all point to a decisive win for May.

Having said that - who can trust polls, anecdotes and reasoning these days!
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, she had the numbers to get herself into the final two and pick her opponent.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Ukip leadership race: deadline for nominations is 30th July, winner announced 15th Sep. Candidates need 50 nominations from 10 local parties
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2016
    I'm not sure the Ladbrokes figures tell you very much. The odds on May are quite short (though arguably not short enough) and people don't like betting on short-odds-on eventualities. Also isn't this partly people covering their positions?

The James Forsyth tweet which Alastair has posted is I think more relevant, although it's worth pointing out that he says "One May supporting MP tells me that the councillors they have spoken to are intrigued by Leadsom, a fresh face they want to hear more about." That's not surprising, given that she's not well known, but it doesn't necessarily mean that will convert into votes for her once they've heard more.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    Barnesian said:

The YouGov poll of Conservative Party members (field work 1-4 July) on the other hand was a weighted professionally conducted poll. It showed May on 63% and Leadsom on 31%.

Even among the Leavers, it broke 49/45 for May/Leadsom. Among Remainers, it broke 92/4 for May/Leadsom.

Anecdotes had a better Referendum than the polls.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, when does Evans' suspension end? 1 August? :p
  • Options

I'm not sure the Ladbrokes figures tell you very much. The odds on May are quite short (though arguably not short enough) and people don't like betting on short-odds-on eventualities. Also isn't this partly people covering their positions?

The James Forsyth tweet which Alastair has posted is I think slightly more relevant.

Will you be staying in the party if Leadsom wins? ;)
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    Just back from work. Taking it that Leadsom has published her tax return and everything's hunky dory?
  • Options
    Murray two sets up.

Dull match though. Everyone seems bored, including the players.
  • Options

Murray two sets up.

Serena Williams's procession to the title tomorrow will probably be even duller.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Danny565 said:

FPT:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

So no surprise if the activists again choose the person who they love but is at the same time unelectable. They may think that doesn't matter as she'll beat Corbyn but if Labour get a decent leader it's blindingly obvious that May would be far stronger at the next GE

I don't think it's obvious at all. May is not a proven campaigner and Leadsom is likely to win a large chunk of the UKIP vote (and would-be UKIP switchers from Labour) which will provide a buffer in many marginals.

And you maximise seats by winning the middle ground floating voters - which is why Blair had such a brilliant votes to seats conversion rate and why Cameron has now got Con into a much more favourable votes to seats conversion rate than Lab.

Picking up the old buffer UKIP vote won't gain net seats if floating votes are lost directly over to Lab - which they will be with Leadsom's social policies.
    But hasn't the EU Referendum showed that the so-called "centre-ground" voters are really not that centrist at all?

If the centre ground means anything, it's the likes of Basildon, Nuneaton, Cannock Chase, Worcester, Bury. All of them (and most of the other typical bellwether constituenices in general elections) delivered heavy Leave wins. They seem to quite like "social conservative" policies, while they also placed no store at all in what the Establishment considers to be "economic credibility" or in the opinions of big businesses.

Though that's not to say Leadsom would do better for the Tories than May (it's less their policies but the fact that May looks and sounds like a natural leader, whereas Leadsom still seems clearly out of her depth.)
    Good post, Mr565, though I am not to sure about the last paragraph.

This business and fascination with the centre ground on this site never ceases to amaze me. Many posters on here seem to be sure that the centre ground exists and it is where they are or at least can be found by triangulation. The idea, first proposed many years ago, that the whole idea of the centre ground is rubbish and it is the common ground that matters seems to have passed them by.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

The James Forsyth tweet which Alastair has posted is I think slightly more relevant.

Will you be staying in the party if Leadsom wins? ;)
    Possibly not, but I'd reserve judgement. I'd leave if I thought the party had returned to its pre-Howard madness.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Danny565 said:

FPT:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

One feature of the last election was that UKIP polled strongly in a lot of marginal seats.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

Just back from work. Taking it that Leadsom has published her tax return and everything's hunky dory?

Heard it might be released on a side of a bus.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,010

The James Forsyth tweet which Alastair has posted is I think more relevant, although it's worth pointing out that he says "One May supporting MP tells me that the councillors they have spoken to are intrigued by Leadsom, a fresh face they want to hear more about." That's not surprising, given that she's not well known, but it doesn't necessarily mean that will convert into votes for her once they've heard more.

Agreed the Forsyth tweet is slightly more relevant. He has spoken with "several" Tory MPs.

The full story is here:

"Most Tory MPs are back in their constituencies today, and several of those that I have spoken to are now predicting a closer race between May and Leadsom than Westminster expected.

One May supporting MP tells me that the councillors they have spoken to are intrigued by Leadsom, a fresh face they want to hear more about. There’s also a view among many members, I’m told, that MPs wouldn’t have sent Leadsom through to the final two if she wasn’t qualified to be Prime Minister.

For the next few weeks, I intend to take all polling of Tory members on this race with a pinch of salt. Why? Because Leadsom — unlike Boris, say — isn’t that well known and so her numbers could go up, or down, when members hear more about her, her experience and her views."
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Murray two sets up.

Serena Williams's procession to the title tomorrow will probably be even duller.
    Wednesday was the day to watch. Two superb five set matches back-to-back. They were always going to be hard to follow.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Interesting article on Deutsche Bank, despite it's horribly over-pitched title.

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/249246/doom-at-deutsche-bank/
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Heard it might be released on a side of a bus.
    I've heard Leadsom is actually Banksy. Expecting them to be found painted on the side of a snooker hall in Bristol...
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    BBC news reporting German company in talks with TATA that would retain steel making in Port Talbot

Oh?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016

Barnesian said:

Anecdotes had a better Referendum than the polls.
    I'm all in favour of political punters ditching psephology in favour of anecdotes, if it means I can bet on the polls at enhanced odds.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

Danny565 said:

FPT:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

This business and fascination with the centre ground on this site never ceases to amaze me. Many posters on here seem to be sure that the centre ground exists and it is where they are or at least can be found by triangulation. The idea, first proposed many years ago, that the whole idea of the centre ground is rubbish and it is the common ground that matters seems to have passed them by.

Well I'm a floating voter, as it were. When Conservatives went too far right I voted for Blair, when they screwed up and started to go left I voted for Cameron. I can't possibly vote for Corbyn, I equally couldn't vote for Leadsom (experience wise but moreso on policy). So there's a ground there that would be left completely open (although reports of a labour split might fill that). I'd vote for May though, absolutely.
  • Options
    "Steve Bell, the president of the Conservative Party’s National Convention which represents the party’s voluntary associations, said he was “expecting” Mrs Leadsom to win."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/08/mps-facing-a-wake-up-call-when-they-find-out-levels-of-support-f/
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

"Steve Bell, the president of the Conservative Party’s National Convention which represents the party’s voluntary associations, said he was “expecting” Mrs Leadsom to win."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/08/mps-facing-a-wake-up-call-when-they-find-out-levels-of-support-f/

Be interesting to see if this shifts the betting markets.
  • Options

Steve Bell is an über-Leaver.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Interesting article on Deutsche Bank, despite it's horribly over-pitched title.

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/249246/doom-at-deutsche-bank/

The five year punitive clawback of staff bonuses is very satisfying harsh....
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Leadsom will win. I've been sure of that since the start. And have bet accordingly.
  • Options

The news came as it emerged that the Tory party’s membership has swelled in size since David Cameron quit, with 10,000 new members joining in the four days after his resignation.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    PlatoSaid said:

The news came as it emerged that the Tory party’s membership has swelled in size since David Cameron quit, with 10,000 new members joining in the four days after his resignation.
    More fool them - they won't get a vote.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

None of whom have a vote :).
  • Options

You'd never know it from his Guardian cartoons....
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

These new members vote get a vote thought right? Have to be a member for three months? Probably Kippers returning to the Tory fold after mission successful.
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Imagine if even a fraction are ill-informed Labourites? :lol:
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Barnesian said:

Agreed the Forsyth tweet is slightly more relevant. He has spoken with "several" Tory MPs.

The full story is here:

"Most Tory MPs are back in their constituencies today, and several of those that I have spoken to are now predicting a closer race between May and Leadsom than Westminster expected.

One May supporting MP tells me that the councillors they have spoken to are intrigued by Leadsom, a fresh face they want to hear more about. There’s also a view among many members, I’m told, that MPs wouldn’t have sent Leadsom through to the final two if she wasn’t qualified to be Prime Minister.

For the next few weeks, I intend to take all polling of Tory members on this race with a pinch of salt. Why? Because Leadsom — unlike Boris, say — isn’t that well known and so her numbers could go up, or down, when members hear more about her, her experience and her views."
    I'm not sure that the second sentence of the penultimate paragraph is quite correct. A choice between a backstabber and a vacuous liar in league with Farage is hardly edifying.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    If Leadsom wins, the SNP will be delighted, and should call a referendum on independence as soon as possible. Leadsom is the perfect boogeyman to scare enough floating voters into taking the risk of Indy. It will be seen as the final indication that England has lost its head. Why would they want to go down with the ship? UKIP-lite / Thatcher 2.0 will not go down well north of the border.

If it's May, her steady the ship approach may induce a more wait-and-see approach in the scots.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    jonny83 said:

PlatoSaid said:

These new members vote get a vote thought right? Have to be a member for three months? Probably Kippers returning to the Tory fold after mission successful.
    No votes.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    jonny83 said:

PlatoSaid said:

That was my immediate reaction.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

I'm with @jonny83. It's UKippers coming home. Either that or particularly stupid Corbynites.
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

But a handy quarter of a million to party coffers.

I wonder how many are returnee Kippers?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Barnesian said:

It would be useful to see another YouGov members poll now we know the Final 2.

I know that poll considered all match-ups (including May v Leadsom) but they were hypothetical at the time and most members should be quite a bit more aware of Leadsom after the last few days than they were when that poll was done.

So is another YouGov poll expected soon?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Leadsom will win. I've been sure of that since the start. And have bet accordingly.

Music to the ears of those with 90/1 bets on Leadsom. (Doesn't include me unfortunately).
  • Options

You'd never know it from his Guardian cartoons....
    LOL!

Actually this Steve Bell is good fun. He is gratifyingly indiscreet.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Be interesting to see if this shifts the betting markets.
    Be interesting to see if this shifts the currency markets!
  • Options
    With help from slimeballs like this.

Nick Boles✔
    @NickBolesMP
    @Gove2016 is one of the finest people in public life, and my closest friend. I will always be proud of doing what I could to elect him PM.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Surely Leadsom only went into this with the hope of getting a proper cabinet job?

I mean she doesn't really want to win....right?!

:-0
  • Options

Nick Boles✔
    @NickBolesMP
    @Gove2016 is one of the finest people in public life, and my closest friend. I will always be proud of doing what I could to elect him PM.

Considering that Boles probably singlehandedly destroyed Gove's campaign, that's a singularly ill-judged tweet.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

They probably left after Cameron became leader, he had done his utmost to piss off his own base
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2016

And? Having the head of the voluntary organisation behind you is a useful situation. I still "remain" wanting May (my wallet wants Leadsom)
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

I'm still not seeing it among members I know. I've put my straw poll out, last time it split almost exactly as YouGov with half of the leave side going for May and all of the remain side going for her. I doubt very much has changed.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

PlatoSaid said:

No vote this time for them. But the departure of Cameron will probably bring back 50,000 others with the right Leadership.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2016

Nick Boles✔
    @NickBolesMP

Didn't Gove's tally of votes drop two in the second ballot – with friends like Boles, etc…..!
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

I'm with @jonny83. It's UKippers coming home. Either that or particularly stupid Corbynites.
    Like Neil Kinnock, I imagine they believe they've got their party back. That went well.
  • Options
    I have to say that the hacks are losing their touch. I haven't once seen the Gramsci quote trotted out:

"The crisis consists precisely in the fact that the old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."
  • Options

And? Having the head of the voluntary organisation behind you is a useful situation. I still "remain" wanting May (my wallet wants Leadsom)
    I guess that's the point though, you're in the fully out camp and yet probably going to vote for Mrs May, if Leadsom can't count your vote then on who's can she?
  • Options
    John O'Sullivan @JohnOSullivanNR
    That Tory leadership election: The problem for Mrs. Leadsom is that we don't know much about her; the problem for Mrs. May is that we do.
    nunu said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

They probably left after Cameron became leader, he had done his utmost to piss off his own base
    True it was about 100,000 that left.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Perhaps they are not expecting Mrs May or Mrs Leadsome to last very long.......

They are signing up to vote in the next election.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

I'm still not seeing it among members I know. I've put my straw poll out, last time it split almost exactly as YouGov with half of the leave side going for May and all of the remain side going for her. I doubt very much has changed.
    God I hope you are right Max.
  • Options

And? Having the head of the voluntary organisation behind you is a useful situation.

Yes it is, but it's possible that his own views are colouring his judgment somewhat. His partner Maria Caulfield (possibly wife now? I believe they were getting married) is one of the MPs supporting Leadsom.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Under Tory rules, that 10k won't be able to vote. Duh!
  • Options
    Aren't all the main parties getting new people joining them? It seems to be a common thing after big elections.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Priti Patel v Liz Truss
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited July 2016
    Thrak said:

Well I'm a floating voter, as it were. When Conservatives went too far right I voted for Blair, when they screwed up and started to go left I voted for Cameron. I can't possibly vote for Corbyn, I equally couldn't vote for Leadsom (experience wise but moreso on policy). So there's a ground there that would be left completely open (although reports of a labour split might fill that). I'd vote for May though, absolutely.

Mr Thrak., If I had a vote on our next PM (and in my opinion it is a scandal that so few do) then I would follow you. However that is beside the point.

Between, for example, the voters of the South Wales valleys, those of the inner cities and the rural shires there is considerable agreement on a lot of fundamentals. Hack out the tribalism and you will find that an awful lot agree of the fundamentals. That is what I mean by the common ground.

It may well be that keeping that tribalism going and preventing people from realising that they have a lot in common is actually a key part of political parties' strategy. Some of us on here moan about identity politics, but it seems actually to have become the norm. It is in all parties' interests to emphasise the differences.

The problem, perhaps, comes when we have a vote like the referendum. Then everyone has a vote that counts and the unemployed C2DE finds that they have common cause with the ABC1. Then the parties, as are, lose control.

What happens if a party taps into that "Common Ground"?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

And? Having the head of the voluntary organisation behind you is a useful situation.

Yes it is, but it's possible that his own views are colouring his judgment somewhat. His partner Maria Caulfield (possibly wife now? I believe they were getting married) is one of the MPs supporting Leadsom.
    Well, that does rather put a different shade on it...!

Still engaged, as far as I can determine.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2016
    Labour a party lacking an understanding of competition? A lack of competition for women getting to be MPs. Years of AWS smoothing the path in for many at the expense of any quality check. And some of their men bypassed becuase of the wrong gene. But at least they chose Corbyn as their best of the best.

"Why does Labour, despite decades of gender-equality hand-wringing and 13 years of pro-women legislation, just Carry On elevating men? Labour: a party meant to help women but run by men." Deborah Orr
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/08/labour-party-women-run-by-men
  • Options

I have to say that the hacks are losing their touch. I haven't once seen the Gramsci quote trotted out:

"The crisis consists precisely in the fact that the old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

"Before we usher in the new, sometimes.....the old must be laid to rest."
  • Options
    F1: saw a smidgen of second practice. Contemplating a possible early bet, but first I need to get a little more writing done.
  • Options

PClipp said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Priti Patel v Liz Truss
    Penny Mordaunt, Graham Brady and Steve Baker would be my ones to watch.
  • Options
    We appear to be in the tertiary stages of Leave. All we can do is let the disease take its course and repair the body politic as best we can once it has exhausted itself.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

Thrak said:

Mr Thrak., If I had a vote on our next PM (and in my opinion it is a scandal that so few do) then I would follow you. However that is beside the point.

Between, for example, the voters of the South Wales valleys, those of the inner cities and the rural shires there is considerable agreement on a lot of fundamentals. Hack out the tribalism and you will find that an awful lot agree of the fundamentals. That is what I mean by the common ground.

It may well be that keeping that tribalism going and preventing people from realising that they have a lot in common is actually a key part of political parties' strategy. Some of us on here moan about identity politics, but it seems actually to have become the norm. It is in all parties' interests to emphasise the differences.

The problem, perhaps, comes when we have a vote like the referendum. Then everyone has a vote that counts and the unemployed C2DE finds that they have common cause with the ABC1. Then the parties, as are, lose control.

What happens if a party taps into that "Common Ground"?
    My biggest fear is that parties coalesce around the sort of differences that the referendum showed. It doesn't do America any favours and to divide society in that way would cause many problems down the line, I feel.
  • Options
    Who will they support in Nova Scotia?
  • Options

A fair point. Some folk are influenced by their partners. Just look at Micky Gove.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

FPT:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

The greatest politicians pull the centre ground towards them.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Like Thatcher :)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    That's how to do tennis.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

PClipp said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Priti Patel v Liz Truss
    Mr Rentool, where is the gentleman who is your avatar these days? Did he return to reach in bumf*ck TX or has the glare of the limelights kept him in Europe? If so, presumably not Athens ...
  • Options

We appear to be in the tertiary stages of Leave. All we can do is let the disease take its course and repair the body politic as best we can once it has exhausted itself.

But, maybe it's like the early 1920's. People are deciding they want to end the old political system in favour of a new one.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    nunu said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Or Attlee. Attlee lost three out of five elections, but no one would dispute his impact was immense.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229
    Sean_F said:

But, maybe it's like the early 1920's. People are deciding they want to end the old political system in favour of a new one.
    How were the 20s and 30s for the people?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

PClipp said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Priti Patel v Liz Truss
    Mr Rentool, where is the gentleman who is your avatar these days? Did he return to reach in bumf*ck TX or has the glare of the limelights kept him in Europe? If so, presumably not Athens ...
    He is advising John McDonnell on economic policy, as far as I am aware. A noble vocation if ever there was one.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Theresa May is unlucky in that respect. At most times her experience would make victory for her a foregone conclusion.
  • Options
    The comparisons of Leadsom to Thatcher are also grossly unfair to Thatcher. Leadsom isn't even in the same league as Thatcher.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

That's how to do tennis.

Get it over with asap so that everyone can watch The One Show.
  • Options
    Every time that Leadsom goes through a rough patch as PM and is under pressure it will be brought up that she only had the backing of around 25% of her MP's. The more that happens the greater a narrative it will become.

I have no doubt she would do a Corbyn and say "well the membership backed me" and whilst that argument clearly saves Corbyn every time he is under pressure it won't save her.

I think it's fair that the membership look at both candidates and weigh up both of them.

But if I was a voter two things would scare me about Leadsom, 1. That a majority of MP's haven't backed her and 2. We are not just electing a Conservative Leader but also a PM that has to hit the ground running during a period of uncertainty and difficult times ahead. It can't become a massive learning on the job exercise.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

A mix of good and bad. Booms and busts were much wilder in that period than they are today.
  • Options
    @Sean_F There will need to be a new political system. The current structures on both sides of the House are being razed to the ground.

Everything that we have seen so far suggests that the new system will be vastly inferior to the old system, will lead to worse outcomes for every stratum of society and will lead to a diminished place for what is left of the country in world affairs.

The value of administrative competence will, I'm sure, become much more apparent after the event.
  • Options

Labour a party lacking an understanding of competition? A lack of competition for women getting to be MPs. Years of AWS smoothing the path in for many at the expense of any quality check. And some of their men bypassed becuase of the wrong gene. But at least they chose Corbyn as their best of the best.

"Why does Labour, despite decades of gender-equality hand-wringing and 13 years of pro-women legislation, just Carry On elevating men? Labour: a party meant to help women but run by men." Deborah Orr
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/08/labour-party-women-run-by-men

That feeling of displacement, in England more than Scotland, with its SNP-established “civic nationalism”, has coalesced around immigration, which is the embodiment of that displacement rather than its cause. And no wonder. Across this swath of Britain, it has been perceived that Labour local authorities have allowed Asian gangs to abuse schoolgirls, just as the parliamentary party voted to bomb Muslims abroad and yet seemed to love-bomb sharia courts. That’s how deep Labour’s gender equality ran. No wonder the Tories are laughing. It is indeed a farce.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

That's how to do tennis.

Get it over with asap so that everyone can watch The One Show.
    Exactly, get on with the important stuff.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

A mix of good and bad. Booms and busts were much wilder in that period than they are today.
    Also very localised. The shipyards and coalfields were suffering, but places like Leicester did well with clothing and engineering.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

MTimT said:

PClipp said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Priti Patel v Liz Truss
    He is advising John McDonnell on economic policy, as far as I am aware. A noble vocation if ever there was one.
    Spends quite a lot of time doing stuff with his DiEM25 outfit judging by his Twitter feed. DiEM25 is a slightly strange organisation at first inspection, its about democracy in Europe and yet half its board are Americans.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

Seem to recall that Con members voted about 35% Remain, 65% Leave.

If - of course that's a big if but nevertheless - if May got 100% of Remain then she would only need 15/65 = 23% of Leave in order to win.

OK, nothing is ever 100% - take that down to 90%, then she has 0.9 * 35 = 31.5 from Remain. Meaning she would only need 19.5/65 = 30% of Leave.

So if May can keep close to 100% of Remain then, on the face of it, it does look an uphill task for Leadsom. But who knows.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    If Leadsom wins I'm going Lib Dem, sorry to say.
    I wander around that centre sphere anyway but if the Tories shift to the right I'm offski, because the sight of a female Alan Partridge taking over the Tory party makes me feel queasy.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028

@Sean_F There will need to be a new political system. The current structures on both sides of the House are being razed to the ground.

Everything that we have seen so far suggests that the new system will be vastly inferior to the old system, will lead to worse outcomes for every stratum of society and will lead to a diminished place for what is left of the country in world affairs.

The value of administrative competence will, I'm sure, become much more apparent after the event.

Yeah but everybody loves to watch a good car crash even if it slows them down !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yeah but everybody loves to watch a good car crash even if it slows them down !
    Not if they themselves are in the pile-up, though.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    nunu said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

And Tony Blair.
This discussion has been closed.