Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Recorded for posterity the biggest ever political betting m

SystemSystem Posts: 11,725
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Recorded for posterity the biggest ever political betting market that was wrong until 5 hours after polls closed

Extraordinary 90 day EURef betting chart on the £120m Betfair market. LEAVE wasn't favourite till 3am on Jun 24th pic.twitter.com/Fpr06yxTvB

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    edited July 2016
    Awesome, I called Leave straight after Sunderland which was tres profitable
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    Second like REMAIN
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    I know the war is over but I found this BBC article interesting... especially since Cameron went with "No Turkish Membership until the year 3000". This is dated 2 September 2014 and from the Cameron appointed Foreign Office (Philip Hammond):
    'The UK Foreign Office says it expects Turkey to be ready for membership "in a decade or so".'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11283616

Not sure if it's been noticed here before.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Do we know why after the first crossover, it reverted back to Remain as favourites?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    BBC
    Full video: Andrea Leadsom defends her CV & urges "honourable" Tory leadership race in interview with @bbclaurak - https://t.co/3jjqRgDdQh
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @johngapper: Leadsom says (4.06) she was Barclays "financial institutions director". Her CV says deputy https://t.co/Y2cUJlAbhx https://t.co/qpM0SBQ8CU
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,585
    Very glad, money-wise, I was on the light green side of this graph!

I still have no idea why anyone thought Remain would win.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    DanSmith said:

Do we know why after the first crossover, it reverted back to Remain as favourites?

A London result came in. The thickos thought all was well with the world.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Was the market wrong, actually? It said the probability of Leave was around 30%. If the markets were perfect at prediction, then around one in three of the eventualities to which it attributes such a probability would end up going the other way.

I think where the markets were objectively wrong was in not responding to the polling information close to the referendum and to the early results.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    DanSmith said:

I think a couple of results that were slightly better than expected for Remain came in. Though it was still obvious that those weren't going to be enough.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    LEAVE wasn't favourite till 3am on Jun 24th

You had an hours notice, how much more time do you need...!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

BBC
    Full video: Andrea Leadsom defends her CV & urges "honourable" Tory leadership race in interview with @bbclaurak - https://t.co/3jjqRgDdQh

The more I see of this woman, the more I think making her PM would be one of the greatest political disasters in decades. There's nothing there, nothing. Vacuous.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

Very glad, money-wise, I was on the light green side of this graph!

I still have no idea why anyone thought Remain would win.

Well remain should have won, but the day Dave came back with no action on free movement is the day remain lost. The guardian article on it is quite illuminating. The other issue is that the remain campaign was full of second raters from the failed Lib Dem and Labour election campaigns. Notably, Sir Lynton Crosby refused to campaign for remain.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    This leading economist issues devastating critque of Tory government uselessness and ill-preparedness.
    Danny Blanchflower ‏@D_Blanchflower 53m53 minutes ago South Burlington, VT
    Danny Blanchflower Retweeted Patrick Wintour
    This is truly appalling a govt made no plans what to do after a referendum it voluntarily chose to put in placeDanny Blanchflower added,
    Patrick Wintour @patrickwintour
    Philip Hammond at FAC says it was a conscious decision not to undertake contingency planning for Leave, save to calm the financial markets.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

MaxPB said:

The hysteria comes from my fellow leavers who are sticking their heads in the sand trying to pretend nothing has happened and that a 13% fall in Sterling is a "nothing to see here" movement. Let's call a spade a spade, the current market movements are sub-optimal, but they aren't "End of Days" and neither are they "nothing to see here".

Surely over the next few months as the new plans firm up Sterling will move back up again, and those losses will be recouped ? Feels like rather short termist panic at the moment, if Sterling is still low in 3-6 months there might be room for concern. When Sterling appreciated by 20-30% around Christmas are investors going to still be sore about BrExit as they turn a nice profit ?

I think that's about right, as I said this is not a disaster, but it also isn't business as usual as some seem to want to suggest.
  • Options

DanSmith said:

I think a couple of results that were slightly better than expected for Remain came in. Though it was still obvious that those weren't going to be enough.
    Did Farage also say he'd lost at about that time? Maybe he was playing the market somehow.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The justice secretary [Michael Gove] made an emotional speech about how being adopted had affected his life. But when he told the meeting, “my name is not really Michael,” an MP heckled: “no, it’s Brutus!”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/conservative-leadership-election-tory-infighting-intensifies-as-andrea-leadsom-attacks-theresa-may-a3290336.html
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    What was amazing, given the amount of money invested on this market, was how slow the market was to react to the results as they came in. I thought, mistakenly, that PBers were missing something and that those "in the know" with huge amounts of money at stake did in fact know something. They didn't. They were wrong. I was wrong. PBers were right. Fortunately I didn't lose money but I missed out on a great opportunity to make money - which is nearly as bad.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

BBC

The more I see of this woman, the more I think making her PM would be one of the greatest political disasters in decades. There's nothing there, nothing. Vacuous.
    Tory Corbyn. Looking for an honourable fight, she even sounds like Corbyn. Her sop to the right on fox hunting and HS2 make her unsuitable as well. I'm not in favour of HS2 but this is just blatant politicking looking for easy policies that members want. The same as Jezza wanting to eliminate Trident, leave NATO and borrow billions instead of cutting benefits to win the hard left Labour members.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    stjohn said:

What was amazing, given the amount of money invested on this market, was how slow the market was to react to the results as they came in. I thought, mistakenly, that PBers were missing something and that those "in the know" with huge amounts of money at stake did in fact know something. They didn't. They were wrong. I was wrong. PBers were right. Fortunately I didn't lose money but I missed out on a great opportunity to make money - which is nearly as bad.

Given the staggering rise in sterling on the day I did indeed think I was missing something.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856

This leading economist issues devastating critque of Tory government uselessness and ill-preparedness.
    Danny Blanchflower

That's Danny '5 Million Unemployed' Blanchflower, right?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221
    edited July 2016
    Pauly said:

I know the war is over but I found this BBC article interesting... especially since Cameron went with "No Turkish Membership until the year 3000". This is dated 2 September 2014 and from the Cameron appointed Foreign Office (Philip Hammond):
    'The UK Foreign Office says it expects Turkey to be ready for membership "in a decade or so".'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11283616

Not sure if it's been noticed here before.

The rest of the section of Turkey shows why the UK FO were being remarkably optimistic. Then again, for diplomatic reasons they could not say "never", or "not in my lifetime," which are probably more realistic the way things stand.

More interesting IMO is the following:

The EU also welcomed the Yes vote in a Turkish referendum in September 2010, which gave the AK Party the go-ahead to change the military-era constitution and bring it more into line with EU norms.

Which makes me wonder if the EU believed Erdogan and the AKP were going to stop there ...
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Awesome, I called Leave straight after Sunderland which was tres profitable

During the last few hours it was the easiest, most profitable market I've ever bet on. Partly because of the crappy TV coverage, I think. If you were relying on that you'd have thought the outcome was genuinely in doubt for much longer than it was.
  • Options

DanSmith said:

Did Farage also say he'd lost at about that time? Maybe he was playing the market somehow.
    That happened when the polls closed - hence the dip in Leave just after 22:00. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a flutter.
  • Options
    Although I'm green on the leader market, I'm upping my Leadsom a tad, as I feel I will need a bloody good night out to deal with the anguish if she wins.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    I still say you should look at the number of bets made rather than the amount placed.

In normal betting the rich and the poor are all mashed up. In this referendum there was a clear split between the well off and the less well off. The amount of money wasnt as reliable an indicator as it normally would be.
  • Options
    @iainmartin1: Even aside from the troubling CV problems - https://t.co/LdC3zIhlGi - Leadsom's Panglossian approach on Brexit is unsettling.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

PlatoSaid said:

BBC

Tory Corbyn. Looking for an honourable fight, she even sounds like Corbyn. Her sop to the right on fox hunting and HS2 make her unsuitable as well. I'm not in favour of HS2 but this is just blatant politicking looking for easy policies that members want. The same as Jezza wanting to eliminate Trident, leave NATO and borrow billions instead of cutting benefits to win the hard left Labour members.
    She has also been having a go at gay marriage, another little sweety for the tory members.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @volcanopete

'This leading economist issues devastating critque of Tory government uselessness and ill-preparedness.
    Danny Blanchflower'

Another expert that's always wrong....next
  • Options
    What worries me, is this comment is probably right:

Paul Waugh ✔ @paulwaugh
    The real danger for May, (Tory MP tells me): For all the ridicule, Leadsom sounds exactly like every Tory association chairwoman in the land
  • Options
    The Times saying that Boris stood Leadsom up. Methinks he has taken fright of her links to non-party forces. I wonder whether he is privately going to vote for May and ask his backers to do so as well.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The referendum night was the acme of pb so far. @AndyJS has a place in the pb pantheon for his spreadsheet.

I imagine that some of the financial houses would have paid fortunes for his work, if they'd been aware of it and of its quality.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    The one time I can recall that punters seemed to be betting with their hearts over their heads.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

stjohn said:

Given the staggering rise in sterling on the day I did indeed think I was missing something.
    I remember discussing this on the day. There was no credible source of information people could have. What use is a lunchtime exit poll?
  • Options

Paul Waugh ✔ @paulwaugh
    The real danger for May, (Tory MP tells me): For all the ridicule, Leadsom sounds exactly like every Tory association chairwoman in the land

Yes, that sounds accurate which is why I hope she doesn't make the ballot on one hand, on the other I'd like to see her gst beaten to a pulp by May and score under 20% and then not be offered any position in the Cabinet.
  • Options

Paul Waugh ✔ @paulwaugh

So does IDS...

If the members elect Andrea, the chaos will be something to behold. Ideally from one of the tax havens she employed...
  • Options

The referendum night was the acme of pb so far. @AndyJS has a place in the pb pantheon for his spreadsheet.

I imagine that some of the financial houses would have paid fortunes for his work, if they'd been aware of it and of its quality.

Yes, that was incredibly useful.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Paul Waugh ✔ @paulwaugh

So does IDS...

If the members elect Andrea, the chaos will be something to behold. Ideally from one of the tax havens she employed...
    Both major parties in chaos. And then Trump elected. As Dicken's Scrooge once said, "I'll retire to Bedlam".
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Paul Waugh ✔ @paulwaugh

Yes, that sounds accurate which is why I hope she doesn't make the ballot on one hand, on the other I'd like to see her gst beaten to a pulp by May and score under 20% and then not be offered any position in the Cabinet.
    So you (clearly!) don't think May would make her SoS Brexit. Who do you think she would appoint? She's said it would be a Leaver I think?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Paul Waugh ✔ @paulwaugh

My fear is that if she makes the last two, there'll be a Corbyn style bout of summer madness out in the shires and she'll beat May (probably by promising a load of undeliverable stuff).

I say again to Tory MPs - get a grip.
  • Options
    She really is loathsome Leadsom

@carldinnen: Leadsom; I didn't like the Gay Marriage legislation, would prefer equality ensured by making Civil Partnerships open to all.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Conservatives have a choice between Stilicho, Brutus and Incitatus.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Scott_P said:

@iainmartin1: Even aside from the troubling CV problems - https://t.co/LdC3zIhlGi - Leadsom's Panglossian approach on Brexit is unsettling.

Andrea's got all the right enemies.
    Iain Martin, DYOR.
  • Options

Experts, eh?
  • Options

I seem to recall we thought that the finance houses were relying on an exit poll undertaken in Primrose Hill.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    john_zims said:

@volcanopete

'This leading economist issues devastating critque of Tory government uselessness and ill-preparedness.
    Danny Blanchflower'

We are now ignoring experts. And Danny Blanchflower..
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Its amazing to me how many remainers on here are pathologically terrified of change. Terrified of a reboot from their cosy world, a world where so many huge problems are building up.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Paul Waugh ✔ @paulwaugh

So does IDS...

If the members elect Andrea, the UK will be a tax haven - and it will be the most glorious thing since Lawson's budget got Alex Salmond kicked out the budget.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

MaxPB said:

Paul Waugh ✔ @paulwaugh

So you (clearly!) don't think May would make her SoS Brexit. Who do you think she would appoint? She's said it would be a Leaver I think?
    Gove. I just don't think Leadsom would br any good at it. Having heard more about her time in the City and finding more out about her time at BZW it's difficult to imagine a worse person to handle our negotiations with the EU. She seems to be one of those, everything will be alright because I think it will be type of people. I'm in favour of hard negotiating, but I'm not in favour of what I'd expect her to do which is go in with a bunch of unattainable goals and then blame the other side for not giving in.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

@carldinnen: Leadsom; I didn't like the Gay Marriage legislation, would prefer equality ensured by making Civil Partnerships open to all.

I think that would have been a sensible idea before Civil partnerships were introduced, but we've moved on since even then....
  • Options
    Please make it happen. David Coburn considering a run for the UKIP leadership

http://order-order.com/2016/07/07/241222/
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

MaxPB said:

Paul Waugh ✔ @paulwaugh

Somebody who could actually do the job? Perhaps someone who's CV wasn't a work of fiction.
  • Options
    Doubtless many remainers were relieved by this morning's excellent production figures, and encouraging house price data from Halfax...
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Is she really proposing to unwind gay marriage legislation? Right, fuck that I'm going to sign up to campaign for Theresa over the summer.
  • Options

Do you think the vast majority of Muslims and a great many Christians in this country are loathsome?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    taffys said:

Its amazing to me how many remainers on here are pathologically terrified of change. Terrified of a reboot from their cosy world, a world where so many huge problems are building up.

It's amazing to me that too many Leavers and Remainers don't even attempt to udnerstand the position of the other side, and thus presume they are acting (even in their own minds) irrationally, when understanding why they think the way they do, even if it is wrong, is more helpful in addressing any underlying issues and planning for the future.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    MaxPB said:

Is she really proposing to unwind gay marriage legislation? Right, fuck that I'm going to sign up to campaign for Theresa over the summer.
    I don't think so.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

DanSmith said:

He saw the projected high turnout and assumed that the young had got out of their beds to vote and that with their heavy preference for Remain things would swing against him. It was only later that people realised that the young were still safely under the duvet and it was the working classes that last voted for Neil Kinnock that had turned out.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191

It also appears that her decision to clear up matters by publishing her CV has raised more questions than answers...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/06/andrea-leadsoms-cv-prompts-new-questions-about-career
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

No she was just explaining her past vote.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106

Probably still a popular position in the party through isn't it, if not overwhelmingly so.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    TGOHF said:

john_zims said:

@volcanopete

Danny Blanchflower'

When have we ever paid attention to Danny Blanchflower?
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

It also appears that her decision to clear up matters by publishing her CV has raised more questions than answers...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/06/andrea-leadsoms-cv-prompts-new-questions-about-career
    "Prompts questions", "linked to" and "challenged about" are all codewords for saying "we don't have any evidence of wrongdoing but we want to create a bad impression about someone".
  • Options
    As journalists are pointing out on Twitter, Andrea would get fired from the Apprentice.

But Brexiteers want her to be PM
  • Options
    Good to see UKIP is joining the Leadership Election fun shambles....

http://order-order.com/2016/07/07/241222/
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623

How many of your fellow Muslims "like the Gay Marriage legislation"?

*innocent face*
  • Options
    Whatever your view of their morals, I imagine what leadsom is saying on Gay marriage is music to the ears of tory associations.

Those people called 'nasty' by Theresa May...
  • Options
    Pauly said:

MaxPB said:

No she was just explaining her past vote.
    As I understand it, she thinks a child up for adoption would be better served by a mum and dad rather than two mums or two dads. I don't think that's very controversial.

And she voted for both gay marriage and against it to demonstrate that she respected those who felt strongly either way. Again, not controversial.

What a lot of silly nonsense on here.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

TGOHF said:

john_zims said:

@volcanopete

Danny Blanchflower'

When have we ever paid attention to Danny Blanchflower?
    Labour did when he prophesied 5 million unemployed.........before we went on to record employment.....
  • Options
    As journalists are pointing out on Twitter, Andrea would get fired from the Apprentice.

When you think of some of the stuff posted on tw8tter by 'journalists' in the last few weeks....well...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Wanderer said:

MaxPB said:

Paul Waugh ✔ @paulwaugh

Has to be Gove. He has the brains and the energy for a difficult and tedious brief, although I rather hope that the Mogg might get it, being a clubbable, eloquent, well educated smoothy that would be able to butter up the eurocrats get what we need from them.
  • Options

Do you think the vast majority of Muslims and a great many Christians in this country are loathsome?
    Yup, if you're not in favour of equality, do fuck off.
  • Options

Gadfly said:

"Prompts questions", "linked to" and "challenged about" are all codewords for saying "we don't have any evidence of wrongdoing but we want to create a bad impression about someone".
    So she'd obviously welcome the opportunity to put those questions to rest.....by not answering journalist questions at her 'rally'.......
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

My God ! A real Conservative. The shame.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I don't think so.
    She hasn't said anything of the sort but the anti-Leadsom brigade are too busy working themselves up into a frenzy about every false extrapolation they can find. Did you see Scott earlier criticising her for accepting freedom of movement because she said trade was a priority? They have taken leave of their senses. It is as if they are in a state of decision making entirely be emotion.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Scott_P said:

But Brexiteers want her to be PM

Didn't Sir Alan (as he was then) famously appoint someone who had lied on his CV - that cockney guy who was a bit like the young Sir Alan
  • Options
    I notice on Sky that their clips of Leadsome vs Faisal that he didn't land a blow.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Of course it might be just me, but my memory is that the considered opinion of PB (as expressed by the majority of posts) has been wrong on every major occasion since 2010. In fact as a betting strategy one could worse than look at where the majority of posts on PB are pointing and bet on the reverse.
  • Options
    How did Theresa May vote on the gay marriage bill out of interest?
  • Options

She's banning marriage ?

I might be able to support her campaign :)
  • Options
    Only morons can think Andrea Leadsom will hold onto on all those Lib Dem seats at the next general election.

Bye bye Tory majority
  • Options

In favour.

A Leadsom-led government would not have passed it.

And, if it comes to the next vote on a similar issue, then it will be lacking there too.
  • Options
    Norm said:

Didn't Sir Alan (as he was then) famously appoint someone who had lied on his CV - that cockney guy who was a bit like the young Sir Alan

Indeed. And journalists are commenting on his stellar career in the City and International diplomacy.

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486

2 options for some people and only 1 option for others is not equality. It's just slightly changing the terms of the discrimination!
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Gadfly said:

Plato linked to a BBC interview with Ms Leadsom lower down this thread. She was asked about her CV in that.

• Options

Only morons can think Andrea Leadsom will hold onto on all those Lib Dem seats at the next general election.

Bye bye Tory majority

I haven't been to a yellow peril meeting yet, but I can imagine the mood being 'optimistic' if Leadsome is in charge :D

OTOH Kevin Foster may be out of a job :/
  • Options

Theresa May voted to uphold Section 28 and against civil partnerships.
  • Options

She was asked about her CV in that.

And apparently contradicted herself
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486
    Leadsom didn't respond to polite requests from Gay Tories for her position. Says it all really.

https://twitter.com/lgbtoryuk/status/751022992625401858
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Luke 15:7

@SamCoatesTimes: Bumped into Tory MP who switched from Leadsom to May this morning following "freaky" procession after her speech and fears of UKIP entryism
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

2 options for some people and only 1 option for others is not equality. It's just slightly changing the terms of the discrimination!
    Indeed.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

You're comparing apples and oranges. The inability of same sex couples to get married is completely different to the ability of opposite sex couples to get a civil partnership.
  • Options

In favour.

And, if it comes to the next vote on a similar issue, then it will be lacking there too.
    The liberals in the party would ignore the whip and you'd get the exact same outcome. Don't be ridiculous.
  • Options

On 5 Feb 2013:
    Theresa May voted in favour of allowing same sex couples to marry.
    On 21 May 2013:
    Theresa May voted in favour of allowing same sex couples to marry.
    On 5 Mar 2014:
    Theresa May voted to enable the courts to deal with proceedings for the divorce of, or annulment of the marriage of, a same sex couple.
    On 5 Mar 2014:
    Theresa May voted to make same sex marriage available to armed forces personnel outside the UK.
  • Options

In favour.

That's not true - she went through both lobbies to show equal respect to opposing views.
  • Options

and against gay adoption.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Awkward for anyone spinning for May.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

Bye bye Tory majority

Morons tend not to have a subtle grasps of the nuances of electoral dynamics. They probably will happily concede the Lib Dem votes, believing that there's a 10% UKIP share there for the taking. It's the same barminess as Corbynites targetting non-voters.
  • Options

I never knew she was against civil partnerships. We live and learn.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Leadsom didn't respond to polite requests from Gay Tories for her position. Says it all really.

https://twitter.com/lgbtoryuk/status/751022992625401858

Hold on is that May quote entirely accurate.

How did she vote on s. 28 ?
This discussion has been closed.