Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Recorded for posterity the biggest ever political betting m

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,897
    Pauly said:

SeanT said:

One idea we can put to bed - and which hasn't been mentioned in the aftermath - is the notion that the "newspapers have no more influence".

The LEAVER attitudes of the Mail, Sun, Telegraphs (and Sunday Times?) clearly played quite a significant role in the victory of FREEDOM.

Encouraging for us journalists. We STILL MATTER.

Some of us did write about it before the referendum, and plan to revisit it either this weekend or next weekend

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/02/leaves-major-advantage-in-the-last-three-weeks-of-the-campaign-the-tory-press-is-on-their-side/
    The press gazette may have beaten you to the finish line...

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/eu-referendum-why-it-may-have-been-the-telegraph-sun-express-and-mail-what-won-it-for-leave/
    Buggeration.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,060

Sean_F said:

Given the mutual loathing that different elements of the Conservative Party have for each other, I can only say I'm glad no longer to be a member.

Says a member of UKIP!
    He's right though,you Tories don't seem to be a friendly bunch to each other ;-)
    Sir Hugh Lucas-Tooth had it right about your opponents being opposite you, and your enemies around you.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,058
    #Inthered

May -14.03
    Gove +163.01
    Leadsom -88.22

#ComeonGove
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,007
    edited July 2016

Sean_F said:

Given the mutual loathing that different elements of the Conservative Party have for each other, I can only say I'm glad no longer to be a member.

Says a member of UKIP!
    He's right though,you Tories don't seem to be a friendly bunch to each other ;-)
    #FerrestInASack #NestOfVipers
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2016
    Pulpstar said:

#Inthered

May -14.03
    Gove +163.01
    Leadsom -88.22

#ComeonGove

Is that your book for the final winner or for the loser in this round?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,162
    Relatedly, do we reckon it was a freak result or has the quality of online polls vs phone polls reached crossover?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2016
    Betfair seems confident that Gove will be knocked out this afternoon.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.125439276
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Only morons can think Andrea Leadsom will hold onto on all those Lib Dem seats at the next general election.

Bye bye Tory majority

Morons tend not to have a subtle grasps of the nuances of electoral dynamics. They probably will happily concede the Lib Dem votes, believing that there's a 10% UKIP share there for the taking. It's the same barminess as Corbynites targetting non-voters.
    In fairness, 2.8m previously non-voters turned out for the referendum so that logic is not entirely barmy.

For UKIP, targeting previous non-voters is an excellent strategy.
    It's very tough to get this type of voter to turn out though. I think this is where "remain" has a long term advantage, the 16 million remain voters ALWAYS vote methinks.
    In Norway the EU has become progressively less popular since they decided not to join. 23 June 2016 may well be the high point of pro-EU feeling in the UK.
    Isn’t that because they bound by the rules but can’t take part in deciding them?
    The do take part in deciding them. The rules only affect companies that export to the EU.

http://www.cityam.com/240684/the-norway-option-is-far-from-just-paying-into-the-eu-without-having-a-say
    So only 44% of our exports then. Hardly worth bothering with. Oh but then you're right; your local newsagent is now free from the oppressive yoke of the EU. Hoorah!
    What percentage of British businesses export anything ?
    Our imports account for around 32% of GDP. Those iPhones, oil, natural gas and the like doesn't pay for itself.
    Seems high. Maybe my figures are wrong. 2015 $2.8 trillion GDP, $625 billion imports?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

#Inthered

May -14.03
    Gove +163.01
    Leadsom -88.22

#ComeonGove

Is that your book for the winner or for the loser in this round?
    For the overall winner, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Scott_P said:

@FraserNelson: Watch: Andrea Leadsom’s march of the zombies https://t.co/P9hK08FRNb

Good bloody god! Excruciating.

She's so clearly a UKIP plant in the Tory Party.

She and her supporters scare me. Let's hope her dreams die today.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

#Inthered

May -14.03
    Gove +163.01
    Leadsom -88.22

#ComeonGove

Oh dear. You should have listened to Uncle Richard.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

#Inthered

May -14.03
    Gove +163.01
    Leadsom -88.22

#ComeonGove

Oh dear. You should have listened to Uncle Richard.
    I've listened to alot of people regarding this leadership contest. Actually that is alot better than my position was previously. I've had to dig out of a few Osborne holes...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,204
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

One idea we can put to bed - and which hasn't been mentioned in the aftermath - is the notion that the "newspapers have no more influence".

The LEAVER attitudes of the Mail, Sun, Telegraphs (and Sunday Times?) clearly played quite a significant role in the victory of FREEDOM.

He says, writing on a blog...
    I do still write for the Times, Sunday Times, Telegraph and Spectator.

OK mainly it's about five star holidays. Like this from last week:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/big-game-and-five-star-tents-welcome-to-rhino-country-kpthrp2jk

But I do the odd spot of politics, as well.
    It's a hard life but someone has to do it...

I only have 3 5 star holidays this year and I've had to pay for those myself (albeit Brexit paid for one of them) :tantrum:

Off to Barbados courtesy of the Times next February though - it's worth visiting Timesplus once in a while and clicking the enter competition buttons...
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Says a member of UKIP!
    That says it all, doesn't it? That UKIP, who can be like herding cats, should seem sedate by comparison.
    If the Tory Party were like UKIP, Leadsom wouldn't be standing. She'd be suspended.
    :lol:
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Says a member of UKIP!
    #FerrestInASack #NestOfVipers
    Lol ,spot on.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

#Inthered

May -14.03
    Gove +163.01
    Leadsom -88.22

#ComeonGove

Wow you've played the market quite poorly.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

The referendum night was the acme of pb so far. @AndyJS has a place in the pb pantheon for his spreadsheet.

I imagine that some of the financial houses would have paid fortunes for his work, if they'd been aware of it and of its quality.

The spreadsheet I thought would be most useful this year was the one for the local elections. I managed to get it finished within 72 hours of the polls closing. Understandably the local elections this year were a bit overshadowed by other events like the Scottish and Welsh elections and the referendum campaign.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13C07pTr6ccd62S2dkElV5DzC6uN5YKbF-z2ux4CA6vY/edit#gid=0
    And another vote of thanks from me. Betting markets totally bonkers for most of the night. Thank goodness.
    Twice in the space of 14 months. Free money on election night after Nuneaton and Swindon and on referendum night after Sunderland and Newcastle.
    Staying up for the results is by far the best way to exploit the markets. I can't get over how many don't seem to bother.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Apparently quickest ever Wimbledon semi-final - 48 minutes!

Andrea Leadsom is that good ....
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@FraserNelson: Watch: Andrea Leadsom’s march of the zombies https://t.co/P9hK08FRNb

Because of the way they walk?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

#Inthered

May -14.03
    Gove +163.01
    Leadsom -88.22

#ComeonGove

It's my worst market in a good while.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited July 2016
    AndyJS said:

Well, if Gove is to win he needs to pick up 20-or-so net MPs against Leadsom. Where are they going to come from? Crabb's support will largely go straight to May, and although Fox backed May, some of his support might split for Leadsom or Gove. Even if all of Fox's supporters (unlikley) back Gove, that still won't be enough.

So he needs either May to secretly get her people to vote tactically having publicly said she wouldn't, or for Andrea Leadsom's value proposition to suddenly collapse against Gove. If anything, the news that Gove has again been on manouvres makes the opposite likely.

Gove is tonight's dockside hooker.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @sunny_hundal: 'When are you going to trigger Article 50?'
    Leadsom on #wato: "I've been very clear, I'm not going to set a date on that."

Reverse ferret
  • Options
    Just as a teaser I've put £5 on May being knocked out at 250/1.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

We know how often betting markets can be irrational long past the time the facts tell a different story.

Wouldn't want to second guess either option so I've finished arbing...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,641
    edited July 2016

Scott_P said:

She's going nowhere. Just like her Kipper soulmate. Love or loathe them, they can operate. Nige created, dictated the terms of, and won the EU referendum.

Leadsome will, sadly IMO, very probably take an increasingly large role in the Conservative govt, no matter who leads it.

Her time will come.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Wonder what your thoughts would be if Thatcher was running for todays leadership, would thatcher be going through the same smears has leadsom ?

For me , I just want it ended today,can't stand two more months of this.
  • Options

Relatedly, do we reckon it was a freak result or has the quality of online polls vs phone polls reached crossover?

The performance of telephone pollsters would have been better, had they not tweeked their final results to make them more favourable to Remain.

Both Ipsos Mori and ORB would have produced leads of 51/49 for Remain, on a like for like basis. Final adjustments made those figures 54/46 and 52/48 for Remain. Survation's last poll had 51/49 for Remain, as well. We don't unfortunately, have any eve of poll numbers for ICM, although their last two telephone polls gave leads of 4% and 6% for Leave.

I think the big surprise was the rise in turnout to 72%, and that it was poorer voters (rather than younger voters) who drove that rise in turnout, favouring Leave.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

#Inthered

May -14.03
    Gove +163.01
    Leadsom -88.22

#ComeonGove

No, I want to beat Pulps for once! I have May +95, Leadsom -50, Gove -40
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

She's going nowhere. Just like her Kipper soulmate. Love or loathe them, they can operate. Nige created, dictated the terms of, and won the EU referendum.

Leadsome will, sadly IMO, very probably take an increasingly large role in the Conservative govt, no matter who leads it.

Her time will come.
    I love your optimism. I hope so too.
  • Options
    Blimey. We just sold £2.25 billion 2026 gilts @ .912%. Could have sold them twice over.

Time to build all the airports, plus HS2, 3 and 4. Mines a pint.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    SeanT said:

eek said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/big-game-and-five-star-tents-welcome-to-rhino-country-kpthrp2jk

I only have 3 5 star holidays this year and I've had to pay for those myself (albeit Brexit paid for one of them) :tantrum: Off to Barbados courtesy of the Times next February though
    I'm flying to here next week

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/eden-roc.html

then moving down the road to here

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/the-view-lugano-lugano2.html
    Reporting from the poverty stricken flash points of Europe outside the EU. You're a brave man.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    On topic I have posted several times that the betting markets didn't take account or postal votes
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Her time will come.
    can we give her defence or something?
  • Options
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Only morons can think Andrea Leadsom will hold onto on all those Lib Dem seats at the next general election.

Bye bye Tory majority

Morons tend not to have a subtle grasps of the nuances of electoral dynamics. They probably will happily concede the Lib Dem votes, believing that there's a 10% UKIP share there for the taking. It's the same barminess as Corbynites targetting non-voters.
    In fairness, 2.8m previously non-voters turned out for the referendum so that logic is not entirely barmy.

For UKIP, targeting previous non-voters is an excellent strategy.
    It's very tough to get this type of voter to turn out though. I think this is where "remain" has a long term advantage, the 16 million remain voters ALWAYS vote methinks.
    In Norway the EU has become progressively less popular since they decided not to join. 23 June 2016 may well be the high point of pro-EU feeling in the UK.
    Isn’t that because they bound by the rules but can’t take part in deciding them?
    The do take part in deciding them. The rules only affect companies that export to the EU.

http://www.cityam.com/240684/the-norway-option-is-far-from-just-paying-into-the-eu-without-having-a-say
    So only 44% of our exports then. Hardly worth bothering with. Oh but then you're right; your local newsagent is now free from the oppressive yoke of the EU. Hoorah!
    What percentage of British businesses export anything ?
    Our imports account for around 32% of GDP. Those iPhones, oil, natural gas and the like doesn't pay for itself.
    Seems high. Maybe my figures are wrong. 2015 $2.8 trillion GDP, $625 billion imports?
    Another interesting point about this site (no idea of its veracity) is that it says:

The United Kingdom borders Ireland by land and Antigua and Barbuda by sea.

What?? Sean - global travel correspondent's view pls.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Scott_P said:

Wonder what your thoughts would be if Thatcher was running for todays leadership, would thatcher be going through the same smears has leadsom ?

Thatcher received a ton of abuse for being provincial, lower middle class, right wing, a woman, buying clothes from Marks and Spencer etc. both when she ran, and after her election as leader. Undoubtedly, social media today would be more vicious.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    The United Kingdom borders Ireland by land and Antigua and Barbuda by sea.

What?? Sean - global travel correspondent's view pls.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/Territorial_waters_-_United_Kingdom.svg/2000px-Territorial_waters_-_United_Kingdom.svg.png

Yes, there are UK territorial waters in the Caribbean.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,558
    Scott_P said:

@sunny_hundal: 'When are you going to trigger Article 50?'
    Leadsom on #wato: "I've been very clear, I'm not going to set a date on that."

Reverse ferret

She's been as clear as her CV is accurate!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @grabcocque

God Bless the UK!
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

More general than that. Look at them all - a bunch of weirdos, nutters and oddballs. Entirely typical of UKIP and the extreme Tory Right, with a few notable exceptions.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

eek said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

I only have 3 5 star holidays this year and I've had to pay for those myself (albeit Brexit paid for one of them) :tantrum: Off to Barbados courtesy of the Times next February though
    I'm flying to here next week

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/eden-roc.html

then moving down the road to here

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/the-view-lugano-lugano2.html
    I celebrated my 17th birthday at the Eden Roc. Ascona is charming.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Scott_P said:

I suspect the people tearing into Leadsom today for voting against gay marriage would have been against Maggie in '75 for being in favour of hanging.

TSE would been for Willie rather than a Maggie! :smiley:
  • Options
    Priti Patel backs May, as a leading Brexiter that's got to be good for May.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,162
    Hypermind in defence of prediction markets' Brexit performance:
    https://blog.hypermind.com/2016/07/04/brexit-pundits-embarrass-themselves-with-misguided-attacks-on-prediction-markets/

He could have added that the implied probability of Brexit was higher than the raw numbers looked from the GBP-denominated markets, because they were correctly assuming that Leave pounds would be worth substantially less than Remain pounds.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    AndyJS said:

You could have set fire to it instead, for a similarly brief sensation of warmth :)
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

It's a shame Priti didn't stand herself...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    ToryJim said:

Very bad for Leadsom of the hang 'em and flog 'em wing starts to vote for May.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    On topic have posted several times that the betting markets did not take account of postal votes .most were sent in at a time when' leave were furthest ahead in the polls and had older demographics.i estimate that the 10 million or so postal vote spilt 6miilion to 4million in favour of leave.Remain won on the day 51.49 but this as not enough to offset leaves 2 million majority from postal votes.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

More general than that. Look at them all - a bunch of weirdos, nutters and oddballs. Entirely typical of UKIP and the extreme Tory Right, with a few notable exceptions.
    It didn't realise you could tell so much about people just from looking at them.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Well, if Gove is to win he needs to pick up 20-or-so net MPs against Leadsom. Where are they going to come from? Crabb's support will largely go straight to May, and although Fox backed May, some of his support might split for Leadsom or Gove. Even if all of Fox's supporters (unlikley) back Gove, that still won't be enough.

So he needs either May to secretly get her people to vote tactically having publicly said she wouldn't, or for Andrea Leadsom's value proposition to suddenly collapse against Gove. If anything, the news that Gove has again been on manouvres makes the opposite likely.

Welcome back Mr Grabcocque. You are assuming that there was no tactical voting in the first round.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,897
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

I suspect the people tearing into Leadsom today for voting against gay marriage would have been against Maggie in '75 for being in favour of hanging.

I wasn't even born in 1975.

I would have been on Team Peyton :lol:
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

It didn't realise you could tell so much about people just from looking at them.
    That's nothing. Tyson could make pronouncements about people he'd never even seen, met, or indeed, actually existed outside of his deluded imagination.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Spot on GIn.

Don't forget milk snatcher would have hit her hard ;-)

• Options
    MaxPB said:

ToryJim said:

Very bad for Leadsom of the hang 'em and flog 'em wing starts to vote for May.
    A stitch up on the cards?
  • Options
    rogerh said:

On topic have posted several times that the betting markets did not take account of postal votes .most were sent in at a time when' leave were furthest ahead in the polls and had older demographics.i estimate that the 10 million or so postal vote spilt 6miilion to 4million in favour of leave.Remain won on the day 51.49 but this as not enough to offset leaves 2 million majority from postal votes.

That's an excellent point. Thank you.
  • Options
    John_M said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

That's nothing. Tyson could make pronouncements about people he'd never even seen, met, or indeed, actually existed outside of his deluded imagination.
    I saw Tyson's "I Quit" post last night... WOW!
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

The wheat is being efficiently separated from the chaff.
  • Options

Hypermind in defence of prediction markets' Brexit performance:
    https://blog.hypermind.com/2016/07/04/brexit-pundits-embarrass-themselves-with-misguided-attacks-on-prediction-markets/

He could have added that the implied probability of Brexit was higher than the raw numbers looked from the GBP-denominated markets, because they were correctly assuming that Leave pounds would be worth substantially less than Remain pounds.

A fair point. A one in four chance that something will happen is quite a high chance that it will happen.
  • Options
    What would be hilarious is if there was a tie for last place tonight and we have to go though the rigmarole again on Tuesday. Good for most on here though ;)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Spot on GIn.

Classic Thatcher. My Mum still refers to her as Thatcher the Snatcher.

Us kids were all incredibly grateful - our full-fat school milk was left to warm on the central heating pipes and was utterly disgusting.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

You could have set fire to it instead, for a similarly brief sensation of warmth :)
    Something might go awry with the tactical voting arrangements.
  • Options
    rogerh said:

The opinion polls should actually be able to take account of that.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,042
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

It would have to go very awry!
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Market Brexit panic...

FTSE only up 90-odd shock
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

It does seem May is picking up the rightwing ukip type nutjobs ;-)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,354
    edited July 2016
    Off-topic:

It looks as though HS2 Ltd are considering knocking £1 billion off the cost of the second stage by not serving Sheffield directly. Instead the line will head east between Sheffield and Doncaster, with a branch allowing classic-compatible trains from Sheffield to join the line somewhere (I think) in the Pinxton / Alfreton area.

It'd be interesting to see how this affects the BCR.

Edit:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-36716526
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

It'd have to go very very wrong lol
  • Options
    rogerh said:

In the case of the referendum it didn't take account of the Working class unfranchised voting. The moment I knew leave had won was when the anecdotes of people who didn't know how to vote were going into polling stations and the reports of more people vorting than ever before in council estate type areas...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,338
    The support of the likes of Davis, Fox and Patel should certainly help May if she is up against Leadsom with the members.
  • Options
    John_M said:

rogerh said:

That's an excellent point. Thank you.
    Worth scrolling down to the "when did you decide" graphic

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/
  • Options

Off-topic:

It looks as though HS2 Ltd are considering knocking £1 billion off the cost of the second stage by not serving Sheffield directly. Instead the line will head east between Sheffield and Doncaster, with a branch allowing classic-compatible trains from Sheffield to join the line somewhere (I think) in the Pinxton / Alfreton area.

Step 1... Step 2 will be the cancellation of the Sheffield branch line due to lack of demand....
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited July 2016
    GIN1138 said:

John_M said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

I saw Tyson's "I Quit" post last night... WOW!
    What would PB be without the occasional flounce ?
  • Options
    John_M said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Spot on GIn.

Us kids were all incredibly grateful - our full-fat school milk was left to warm on the central heating pipes and was utterly disgusting.
    I remember that hideous school milk.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    I know May's camp have come out against tactical voting against Leadsom but what sort of result should she be looking for today?

Pile up as many votes as she possibly can from across the spectrum of the party so it makes it such a hard decision for the membership to not back her? I think that's the best approach personally.

I guess the result will show obviously about what happened, there is no way Gove gets into the final two unless she lends him votes.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088
    Does anyone have a list of who declared supporters are for each candidate, particularly Leadsom?
  • Options
    eek said:

rogerh said:

In the case of the referendum it didn't take account of the Working class unfranchised voting. The moment I knew leave had won was when the anecdotes of people who didn't know how to vote were going into polling stations and the reports of more people vorting than ever before in council estate type areas...
    2.8m of them apparently.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,522
    “What do we want? Leadsom for leader!” Loughton leads a march on Parliament - I cannot think of anything I can recall connected to the party that is so embarrassing and childish.

• Options

Does anyone have a list of who declared supporters are for each candidate, particularly Leadsom?

http://www.order-order.com/condec

There's a similar one on conhome.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Welcome back Mr Grabcocque. You are assuming that there was no tactical voting in the first round.
    Possibly I have. Let's workshop this. Which candidate would have felt confident enough going in the first round to do this. Only May and Gove, I think. May has explcitly denied she's done this, and if Gove's people had been tactically signal boosting Leadsom, why the panicked manoeuvres to try to stop her now?
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

I know May's camp have come out against tactical voting against Leadsom but what sort of result should she be looking for today?

Pile up as many votes as she possibly can from across the spectrum of the party so it makes it such a hard decision for the membership to not back her? I think that's the best approach personally.

I guess the result will show obviously about what happened, there is no way Gove gets into the final two unless she lends him votes.

I agree that she should aim to maximise her vote. She's going to win anyway, so why try to be too clever by half?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited July 2016
    MikeL said:

The support of the likes of Davis, Fox and Patel should certainly help May if she is up against Leadsom with the members.

Unless they judge (perhaps accurately) that those people are only backing May because they want to be in the future PM's good books when she's putting together her Cabinet, rather than out of principle.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

AndyJS said:

Yes, there could have been some tacticals for Leadsom in Round 1 which then switch to Gove in Round 2.

But even allowing for that, I think there would need to be increased tactical voting - ie some people who voted May in R1 have to vote Gove in R2.

Also if they are attempting this they need to build in a cushion - ie aim to get Gove 5 to 10 votes ahead of Leadsom as they don't have perfect information. There's no point depressing May by say 25 if Gove is still short by a few. If they're attempting this they need to be sure they've done enough.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,354
    edited July 2016
    eek said:

Off-topic:

Step 1... Step 2 will be the cancellation of the Sheffield branch line due to lack of demand....
    Well, people want it cheaper.... ;)

But I doubt that would happen, mainly for either political reasons.

On another note: Andrea Leadsom seems anti-HS2 and she's sitting on the fence wrt Heathrow R3.
  • Options
    Amazing figures from Australia:

Two-party preferred:

Labor: 5,194,326
    Liberal/National Coalition: 5,193,865

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDefault-20499.htm
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    2.8m of them apparently.

If you're a remainer, that's a bad thing.

Look what you've done. Look what a mess you've made. Now away you go and think very carefully before voting again.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,944
    John_M said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Spot on GIn.

Amen. No one who had to drink the stuff mourned its passing. Of course in winter it could be completely frozen.....
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,076
    Danny565 said:

MikeL said:

Unless they judge (perhaps accurately) that those people are only backing May because they want to be in the future PM's good books when she's putting together her Cabinet, rather than out of principle.
    I would assume both Davis and Fox probably don't expect a cabinet position no matter if they support May or not.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

AndyJS said:

Possibly I have. Let's workshop this. Which candidate would have felt confident enough going in the first round to do this. Only May and Gove, I think. May has explcitly denied she's done this, and if Gove's people had been tactically signal boosting Leadsom, why the panicked manoeuvres to try to stop her now?
    May has indeed denied it, but MPs could easily have acted on their own accord. If Leadsom is to be eliminated, better she does that with her vote falling. It will look like MPs have taken fright at the CV stuff. Or the Select Committee questioning. Or the crazy march. Or the bizarre medical theories. Or the support from Arron Banks. Edit: Or the Who's Who entry.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Danny565 said:

MikeL said:

Yes, but it should help on TV programmes etc.

If Gove supports May then we're going to be in a situation where literally everyone who the average member would have heard of will be supporting May with just one exception - Boris.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I am still keeping everything crossed for Gove to make the ballot paper. I don't personally think he's that bad as far as tories go, BUT he is also a spectacularly crap politician, and would in my view be very unpopular with the public and find it very difficult to win a general election (yes, even against Corbyn).

Leadsom might prove to be unpopular with the public too, but the idea of her as PM is too scary to contemplate even for 5 minutes, regardless of how bad it is for the Tories' electoral fortunes.

May is probably the best PM for the interests of the country, but she would also I fear be hugely good for the Tories' electoral fortunes.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Tissue_Price John McDonnell is only my second best result in that contest. But I'd settle for him.

What Labour really needs right now is a former leader to take over the reins again as a unifying leader. Sandwich-handling ability optional.
  • Options
    @PickardJE: Gary Gibbon asked Leadsom today if God had directly spoken to her. “That question is not one that is for open laughing at and poking fun at"
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

SeanT said:

Some of us did write about it before the referendum, and plan to revisit it either this weekend or next weekend

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/02/leaves-major-advantage-in-the-last-three-weeks-of-the-campaign-the-tory-press-is-on-their-side/
    According to the media vox pox many people voted to stop Muslim migration (!?), you did a piece on how people way overestimate numbers of immgrants and Muslims in Britain and that might win it for Leave.
  • Options
    The PLP and the PCP are rotten from stem to stern. Brexit has brought that reality to light for all to see.
  • Options
    @MichaelLCrick: Leadsom's current entry in Who's Who also has her as "Financial Instns Dir, Barclays Bank", without the deputy https://t.co/0nfd1527rg
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Sean_F said:

jonny83 said:

I agree that she should aim to maximise her vote. She's going to win anyway, so why try to be too clever by half?
    Indeed – for all the talk of tactical games, the result (so far) has been in line with the polls.

As for the Con Home poll, rubbish in, rubbish out - as expected.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,177
    Rowena Mason of the BBC on Andrea Leadsom's latest efforts to extricate herself from the tangled web of her CV:
    "Leadsom says she's never said she was a fund manager. Nov 2010 in HoC: "I have been in investment banking and funds management for 23 years""
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Amazing figures from Australia:

Two-party preferred:

Labor: 5,194,326
    Liberal/National Coalition: 5,193,865

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDefault-20499.htm

Another day, and only at 83% counted.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

MikeL said:

And as we know from previous leadership elections going back 20ys, public pledges don't equal secret ballot votes.
This discussion has been closed.