Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling finds that Corbyn has lost his LAB membe

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    edited July 2016
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d8itmsB9dCfJwBIgpDFzCSMXAG1TvMR9qEJViOE9UXc/edit#gid=178471611

For long term Lib Dem targets read down from the top.
    For long term UKIP, up from the bottom.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,597

Gove is surely not seriously campaigning for the leadership. He just wants to make sure he gets a big office of state when May takes over. Chancellor will be very tricky for him given the promises that he has previously made about extra public spending and no tax increases.

The £100 million more a week on the NHS by 2020 is, of course, very different to £350 million extra a week. I imagine that we are already projected to spend something like £100 million more on the NHS than we are now. "Extra" would be on top of that.

now drifting past 15 on BF.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    rcs1000 said:

The NHS spends £115bn/year. £100m/week is £5.2bn over four years. So, really, he's promising 1.2% annual rises to the NHS budget. Which might very well be less than inflation.

Exactly. It's a con to hide a lie.

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2016
    It really is unacceptable to have Osborne making these statements. No other Minister is making any "change of policy" statements. The most is Transport's "delay Heathrow decision for next PM".

"Chancellor George Osborne has abandoned his target to restore government finances to a surplus by 2020, the BBC has learned.
    However, the Chancellor said the UK must be "realistic about achieving a surplus by the end of the decade". The UK economy is showing "clear signs" of shock in the aftermath of the vote to leave the European Union, he said. Even before that vote, there were questions over whether Mr Osborne would be able to balance the budget by 2020.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36684452
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,874

((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 24s24 seconds ago
    Is it me, or is launching your latest campaign with an admission you lied your arse off in your last campaign, not the best strategy.

Which is why the Tories would be mad to elect a LEAVEr as leader 24/7 365/year until BREXIT it will be "but you promised X, not 30% of X" to take a random example...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. Borough, the NATO aspect surprised me too.

I wonder if it's to try and make people think that being in the EU makes as much sense as being in NATO. Does seem odd.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    Gove can't be leader / PM....he has the unique ability to go into a room where everybody agrees with his position and by the time he leaves people have changed their mind. He just has that ability to rub people up the wrong way without even trying.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,258
    Pulpstar said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d8itmsB9dCfJwBIgpDFzCSMXAG1TvMR9qEJViOE9UXc/edit#gid=178471611

For long term Lib Dem targets read down from the top.
    For long term UKIP, up from the bottom.

Wow. That is an amazing spreadsheet.

There are a lot of ex- (and possibly future) LD seats at the top of that list.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,241
    And Osborne neatly grabs the headlines from Gove.

That must have been planned.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    i think we can face that it will be May vs Leadsom and I think it will be a close run thing
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    On that whole Diane Abbott thing yesterday...

There she stood in the doorway;
    I heard the division bell
    And I was thinking to myself,
    "This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
    Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
    There were voices down the corridor,
    I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the Hotel Corbynista
    Such a lonely place (Such a lonely place)
    Such a tragic waste
    Plenty of room at the Hotel Corbynista
    Any time of year (Any time of year)
    You can find it here
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

It really is unacceptable to have Osborne making these statements. No other Minister is making any "change of policy" statements. The most is Transport's "delay Heathrow decision for next PM".

"Chancellor George Osborne has abandoned his target to restore government finances to a surplus by 2020, the BBC has learned.
    However, the Chancellor said the UK must be "realistic about achieving a surplus by the end of the decade". The UK economy is showing "clear signs" of shock in the aftermath of the vote to leave the European Union, he said. Even before that vote, there were questions over whether Mr Osborne would be able to balance the budget by 2020.

Burying the admission that the targets were always bogus and aimed only at embarrassing Labour during the election?
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn is likely to face a leadership challenge in "the next few days" his ally John McDonnell has said, amid pressure on the Labour leader.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36680463
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    Norm said:

Gove as ever a true radical but he needed Boris as avuncular frontman to work. Too late now

Yes, he was right in his previous self assessment. Absolutely needs to be in the Cabinet, has done great work at education and justice but I don't think he's the right personality for the top job.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,726
    Gove says no Number 10 job for Cummings
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,932
    !
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    Toady, warbling Gove has a frog in his throat by the sounds of it. I can't watch him- it is all bit too much of a car crash
  • Options

JackW said:

Is Brutus still going ....

Yes. Homes for All now.
    What about Owls for all?
    I guess Unicorns have been dropped too?
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?

PM Tim Farron?
    Not even I'm that optimistic, but yes it does help us to 'Win here'.

Lib Dem Gain Hornsey Wood Green, hold Hallam - perhaps even gain Richmond Park....
    TBH I thought you were a left-wing Tory Pulpstar, I didn't realise you were a Liberal!
  • Options
    Brom said:

i think we can face that it will be May vs Leadsom and I think it will be a close run thing

I wonder if Leadsom will be bought off by May: step down, endorse me, and get one of the great offices of state.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016

rcs1000 said:

The NHS spends £115bn/year. £100m/week is £5.2bn over four years. So, really, he's promising 1.2% annual rises to the NHS budget. Which might very well be less than inflation.

Exactly. It's a con to hide a lie.

I did point this out a while back.

There was a big incentive for a leadership candidate (leave or remain) to go for the full £350m a week.

Stretching the timescale out a bit, hoping for a bit of inflation - and some creative fuzzing of the line between the NHS/social care bill - it's probably doable.

Problem is people still wouldn't see much tangible improvement in their actual experience of the NHS.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Czech republic
    "Czech President Milos Zeman has called for the Czech Republic to hold a referendum on its membership of the European Union and NATO following Britain's shock vote to leave the EU, though he said he backed his country staying in both organisations.

Zeman has no power to call a referendum, which would require a constitutional amendment. But he is an influential leader in a country where many voters are sceptical about the EU"

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-czech-president-idUKKCN0ZH4AV

The Slovakians have offered to help our *velvet revolution*. I thought that was pretty indicative of their sentiments too.
    Britain standing tall with the new axis of Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

Brexit. Binit.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?

PM Tim Farron?

Lib Dem Gain Hornsey Wood Green, hold Hallam - perhaps even gain Richmond Park....
    TBH I thought you were a left-wing Tory Pulpstar, I didn't realise you were a Liberal!
    Pulpstar votes whichever way his Betfair book tells him to :D
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,932

!

Can SO use white HTML Tags only please!!!!!

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Gove is surely not seriously campaigning for the leadership. He just wants to make sure he gets a big office of state when May takes over. Chancellor will be very tricky for him given the promises that he has previously made about extra public spending and no tax increases.

The £100 million more a week on the NHS by 2020 is, of course, very different to £350 million extra a week. I imagine that we are already projected to spend something like £100 million more on the NHS than we are now. "Extra" would be on top of that.

The Cameron promise was an extra £8bn year on the NHS by 2020 (I think) so Gove's £5.2bn a year extra on the NHS is simply £8bn minus whatever loss in revenue Brexit results in.

What a mess - Cameron had a nice game plan of Safety, Stability and Security over the next 4 years before turning over to some nice young thing who would have won the Tories an even bigger majority against the labour shambles. Hung parliament for 2020 must be favourite now.

• Options
    Gove: guaranteed one Charlie Falconer resignation per day until 2020.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?

PM Tim Farron?

Joined Friday - it's a "fast moving political enviroment" now.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

I wonder if Leadsom will be bought off by May: step down, endorse me, and get one of the great offices of state.
    PM: May
    DPM and Brexit: Gove
    CoE: Leadsom
    For Sec: Osborne
    Home: Hammond
    Defence: Johnson [if he wants a job at all]
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

i think there will be a good job waiting for whoever doesnt win. Can certainly see Leadsom being the main brexit negotiator in a May office given her business and leave background. If Leadsom beats May I could forsee her continuing in home office or moving to chancellor.
  • Options

Why? The work continues, reassuring the markets continues. Or should all work stop until 2 September?
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    If that's water he's going to need a piss soon.
    Gin or Vodka, he's going to be pissed soon.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Apparently there are two pages of speech to go!

They are the 2 lost pages of the rumoured resignation of Charlie Falconer form the Labopur front bench.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,100
    rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Didn't Leadsom tell Boris that she wanted Chancellor.. Seems a sensible place for someone from the City...
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Burying the admission that the targets were always bogus and aimed only at embarrassing Labour during the election?
    I have this funny feeling we will be having the same nonsense wheeled out in 2020 as well. Surplus by 2025...
  • Options

Good point

@SamFawcett92: Tory candidates tacking left to win support of a largely centrist electorate. How many getting abuse and death threats from members? None

Quite. Who are supposed to be the nasty party?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I still do not understand what this Gove bid is all about. Like you I can't believe he is serious about wanting the top job, but he would have been kept in a top job anyway (he has been in one for the last six years who would throw him out now).

Reading the articles in the Telegraph yesterday, I suppose it is possible that he has been manipulated, by Cameron amongst others, into it with the intention that he would kill of Boris's bid and in doing so crash and burn himself. But that does seem a bit far fetched.

Something is very odd about this. I suppose we will have to wait for the memoirs to get some semblance of what is actually going on.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

I think you can swap Leadsom and Hammond round.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

It really is unacceptable to have Osborne making these statements. No other Minister is making any "change of policy" statements.

Lol, a few days ago, Osborne and Cameron were being blamed for not taking control and having a fully developed plan for Brexit.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?

PM Tim Farron?

I've got to say I love Pulpstars complete and utter commitment to his betfair strategy above all else...it is one of nice eccentricities of pbCOM
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    Why don't they just give it to Theresa now...
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

What, no job for Fox? *innocent face*
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Party Chairman: Johnson [if he wants a job at all]
    FTFY but except for the last it fits all criteria...
  • Options

Lol - so many inconvenient truths for the Leave campaign to stomach - very easy to cut the deficit now - just ask Gove to lend him one of his unused knives.. oh..waitttttttttt..
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

He's just tidying his desk, leaving no outstanding undelivered bits of promises that history can lay at his door when he departs Downing Street....

Nice try George. It won't wash...
  • Options
    There are some good reasons to expect that Johnson will not wish to be considered for a top job, and may instead retire from front line politics at the next General Election.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?

PM Tim Farron?

I've got to say I love Pulpstars complete and utter commitment to his betfair strategy above all else...it is one of nice eccentricities of pbCOM
    I'm rather shamefully about £70 underwater on the Tories right now. Quite disgusted with myself.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016

I still do not understand what this Gove bid is all about. Like you I can't believe he is serious about wanting the top job, but he would have been kept in a top job anyway (he has been in one for the last six years who would throw him out now).

Reading the articles in the Telegraph yesterday, I suppose it is possible that he has been manipulated, by Cameron amongst others, into it with the intention that he would kill of Boris's bid and in doing so crash and burn himself. But that does seem a bit far fetched.

Something is very odd about this. I suppose we will have to wait for the memoirs to get some semblance of what is actually going on.
    I don't think he counted on Boris folding.

That created the "knifing" narrative.
  • Options
    felix said:

Apparently there are two pages of speech to go!

They are the 2 lost pages of the rumoured resignation of Charlie Falconer form the Labopur front bench.
    Guffaw :)
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?

PM Tim Farron?

I'm rather shamefully about £70 underwater on the Tories right now. Quite disgusted with myself.
    I'm May +80
    Leadsom/Gove -30
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

I don't know if you remember, but Fox had a bit of a bumpy ride last time.

• Options
    Remember he is just a nice old bloke really...heart in the right place and all that...

http://order-order.com/2016/07/01/corbyn-laughs-jokes-smeeth-heckler/
  • Options

There is no point in being a creative thinker if you are not able to do anything with the thinking. For McDonnell to have any chance of turning thoughts into policies - or even just to influence the debate on Brexit from the opposition benches - Labour needs a new leader. Could members find it in themselves to vote for another candidate if McDonnell was part of the package? In other words, do as Tyson says: find a leader that can speak to middle Britain (England) as well as the Labour heartlands, with McDonnell guaranteed the shadow chancellor slot in any new cabinet? Someone like Dan Jarvis gets Labour a hearing in places where labour will not be heard right now. That is an opportunity for McDonnell, as well as other left wingers. What labour needs more than anything else is a shadow cabinet in which its best operators are all contributing. I will concede you McDonnell, but I would also posit that it should include the likes of Umana, Reeves, Cooper, Smith, Leslie, and so on. The Tories need to be facing a credible opposition - for the good of the country, if nothing else. Corbyn just cannot deliver that.

Hmm. You're tempting me!

Nick, we need a credible Labour opposition. The country needs it. I very strongly believe that if Corbyn were to go, it would make such a huge difference not only to the way that Labour is seen by voters as a whole, but also to morale in the party. I think all sides have to be prepared to compromise to achieve that aim. It needs a recognition from the left - people like you - that there are better leaders for Labour than Corbyn; while the centre and the right - people like me - have to recognise that people like John McDonnell have earned, genuinely earned, a place at the top table of policy formation. A presentable leader who can open ears in places where Labour is not currently heard will actually help the left.

I don't know how it can be done, but there has to be a way for some kind of compromise to be reached. Corbyn is the problem here. It is not a policy thing. If he goes, it is almost like with one leap we are free.

• Options
    tyson said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

I don't know if you remember, but Fox had a bit of a bumpy ride last time.

Indeed I do - to be honest I'd be surprised if he got 20 votes in the first ballot.
  • Options

Why? The work continues, reassuring the markets continues. Or should all work stop until 2 September?
    The Brexifit cometh
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

That would be a strong line-up though I think Osborne needs a spell on the backbenches so I'd say keep Hammond as For Sec and give Home to someone else.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Chris Grayling will get a top job from Prime Minister Theresa May, I'm talking one of the great offices of state
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    rcs1000 said:

There are some good reasons to expect that Johnson will not wish to be considered for a top job, and may instead retire from front line politics at the next General Election.

Heard a rumour that Boris might become editor of the Telegraph.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?

PM Tim Farron?

that's really careless Pulps.
    I came out evens on Brexit in the end. I was too nervous on the night to bet on anything
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I did expect Grayling to bugger things up during the referendum, but he was actually pretty on the level, which surprised me.

Mr. Mortimer, just so long as Fox gets more than Gove.
  • Options

Chris Grayling will get a top job from Prime Minister Theresa May, I'm talking one of the great offices of state

Wow. Really?

Did I miss the day they made Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster a GOOS?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I think that's very possible
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I could see something like that happen.
  • Options

There is no point in being a creative thinker if you are not able to do anything with the thinking. For McDonnell to have any chance of turning thoughts into policies - or even just to influence the debate on Brexit from the opposition benches - Labour needs a new leader. Could members find it in themselves to vote for another candidate if McDonnell was part of the package? In other words, do as Tyson says: find a leader that can speak to middle Britain (England) as well as the Labour heartlands, with McDonnell guaranteed the shadow chancellor slot in any new cabinet? Someone like Dan Jarvis gets Labour a hearing in places where labour will not be heard right now. That is an opportunity for McDonnell, as well as other left wingers. What labour needs more than anything else is a shadow cabinet in which its best operators are all contributing. I will concede you McDonnell, but I would also posit that it should include the likes of Umana, Reeves, Cooper, Smith, Leslie, and so on. The Tories need to be facing a credible opposition - for the good of the country, if nothing else. Corbyn just cannot deliver that.

Hmm. You're tempting me!

Nick, we need a credible Labour opposition. The country needs it. I very strongly believe that if Corbyn were to go, it would make such a huge difference not only to the way that Labour is seen by voters as a whole, but also to morale in the party. I think all sides have to be prepared to compromise to achieve that aim. It needs a recognition from the left - people like you - that there are better leaders for Labour than Corbyn; while the centre and the right - people like me - have to recognise that people like John McDonnell have earned, genuinely earned, a place at the top table of policy formation. A presentable leader who can open ears in places where Labour is not currently heard will actually help the left.

I don't know how it can be done, but there has to be a way for some kind of compromise to be reached. Corbyn is the problem here. It is not a policy thing. If he goes, it is almost like with one leap we are free.

Agree that JM deserves a seat at Shadow Cabinet.

Leader? No.

Cooper would be a good candidate. The fact she performed badly in the leadership election when speaking to the largely hard-left membership is immaterial. She is sensible, intelligent, and grown up. Her femininity is an asset. And she would be broadly acceptable to all wings of the party.

Go Yvette!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Why don't they just give it to Theresa now...

Because it delays any calls to invoke Article 50 giving us time to start negotiating deals...

Ideally you need Crabb as the second candidate so the result is obvious (allowing things to be done) while nothing is finalised (so nothing can be signed off)...
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    rcs1000 said:

I recently read Mr Johnson's book on Churchill. Chuchill was declared politically dead many times.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

That would be a strong line-up though I think Osborne needs a spell on the backbenches so I'd say keep Hammond as For Sec and give Home to someone else.
    Gove would be a good HomeSec.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited July 2016

Mr. Eagles, I did expect Grayling to bugger things up during the referendum, but he was actually pretty on the level, which surprised me.

Grayling was one of the very few who came through it enhanced. He eschewed the nastiness and hysteria and came over polite and reasonable. Secretary of State for Brexit?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Lowlander said:

Mr. Evershed, depends whether you view Boris as Caesar or Tarquin.

I'm writing a thread for the weekend comparing Boris to Hannibal Barca
    That's a bit fair to Hannibal, after all he did manage to keep going for a considerable period of time after Cannae.

Boris capitulated barely 5 days after his greatest victory.
    Phyrrus of Epirus
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Putting Leadsom at home is the usual gender stereotyping. Time for a female CoE! Anyway WTF is so good about Hammond?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Osborne drops his 2020 surplus plan.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Gove for change on one channel and Somme requiem on the other. I suppose it's some sort of balance?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Hmm. You're tempting me!

Leader? No.

Cooper would be a good candidate. The fact she performed badly in the leadership election when speaking to the largely hard-left membership is immaterial. She is sensible, intelligent, and grown up. Her femininity is an asset. And she would be broadly acceptable to all wings of the party.

Go Yvette!
    And I'd get to see more of her on TV. Mmmmmmmm...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?

PM Tim Farron?

I'm May +80
    Leadsom/Gove -30
    May -140.48
    Gove -24.97
    Leadsom +377.87
    Crabb -247.8
    Fox -96.15
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Gove going on a bit about his many friends !!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I think that's very possible
    Boris as editor? Not if there is any truth in the charges of laziness and disorganisation levelled yesterday.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Please not Johnson at Defence, if anywhere. Defence needs someone with a grasp of detail and prepared to work hard so as to foil the wily machinations of the enemy - the Treasury. Johnson would be feckin useless at the job.

Osborne, in my view, should be consigned to the back benches, preferably of a No. 9 bus and not allowed anywhere near any position of power and influence. He enjoys the game too much over being an effective minister and actually doing his day job. He rose with Cameron let him pass away with Cameron.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,739
    rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Where does Leadsom stand on 'non-Brexit', 'non-fiscal' issues? Is she a socially wet liberal, or as authoritarian as May has appeared to be. (Thinking Snoopers Charter, Justice issues, etc.)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,138
    edited July 2016
    PeterC said:

Grayling was one of the very few who came through it enhanced. He eschewed the nastiness and hysteria and came over polite and reasonable. Secretary of State for Brexit?
    But he was a total twit at Justice
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Wow. Really?

They've been friends for nearly 30 years, he's her campaign manager.

Last time the Tories elected their leader whilst in office, the winning candidate's campaign manager was promoted from Chief Secretary to the Treasury to the Chancellor of the Exchequer
  • Options
    Thursday 7th July

May: 133, strangely down on Tuesday's vote
    Gove: 100
    Leadsom: 95

GOVE: "I am delighted to have received the support of 100 MPs and congratulate both Theresa on her victory and Andrea on her excellent campaign. However, it is very clear from my soundings amongst the local associations that Theresa commands the confidence of the members. I have therefore - reluctantly but firmly - concluded that I can best serve my country by stepping aside from this contest and letting Theresa get on with the job at hand."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Jobabob said:

Hmm. You're tempting me!

Leader? No.

Go Yvette!
    And I'd get to see more of her on TV. Mmmmmmmm...
    More of a Kendall chap myself...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Please not Johnson at Defence, if anywhere. Defence needs someone with a grasp of detail and prepared to work hard so as to foil the wily machinations of the enemy - the Treasury. Johnson would be feckin useless at the job.

Osborne, in my view, should be consigned to the back benches, preferably of a No. 9 bus and not allowed anywhere near any position of power and influence. He enjoys the game too much over being an effective minister and actually doing his day job. He rose with Cameron let him pass away with Cameron.
    Wrong, he rose under Michael Howard
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I recently read Mr Johnson's book on Churchill. Chuchill was declared politically dead many times.

Boris Johnson did not withdraw because of Gove.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

RodCrosby said:

Isn't Gove dragging his speech out a bit?

Christ, I thought he'd finished there, but now he's off again...

He has a very well developed policy platform, for someone who only decided to stand 72 hours ago.
    To be fair, if you are a thinker and have been in politics as long as he has, you would expect to have views on most major policy issues, so creating a platform would not take long.
    He just said as much in the questions. That he wrote the 5,000 word speech yesterday and this morning, but his head has been full of ideas for years and he was just writing it all down in one go.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I guess the plan is to keep the presses printing like crazy - looks like the £/$ parity is nailed on now - maybe £/€ at 90p if we're lucky.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Hmm. You're tempting me!

But they can't go from Corbyn to Angela Eagle. She comes across as a primary school head teacher, or social worker.
    My issue with Corbyn has always been to his electability. Out of the frying pan into the fire springs to mind with Eagle.

I think Starmer or Jarvis would beat Corbyn in a contest if they embrace a large part of the Corbyn legacy in the campaign.

Eagle, if she chose to run, would be just as responsible as Corbyn for running the party off a cliff.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Wow. Really?

Last time the Tories elected their leader whilst in office, the winning candidate's campaign manager was promoted from Chief Secretary to the Treasury to the Chancellor of the Exchequer
    I know - I'm just jesting.

But seriously, I've just never seen the Grayling appeal.
  • Options
    Utterly OT, but those into videogames may be interested in my ramble about stuff we learnt from E3:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/e3-ramble.html
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Wow. Really?

Neither have I, but he impressed me during this referendum campaign.
  • Options
    calum said:

Gove going on a bit about his many friends !!

jeez - there's a list you wouldn't want to be named on.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Well, for a start it's nice to be on speaking terms again :).

I think where I am at the moment - not that it matters for anyone except me, but maybe typical of a chunk of members - is that I'm instinctively loyal, I like Jeremy personally and admire his backbone, I vehemently dislike the whispering campaign against him over the last year, and I feel nothing but contempt for anonymous critics who don't have the guts to stand. All those things make me oppose anything like a coup.

But a fair election is something else. I'll have a look at the candidates if and when they emerge, see how they conduct themselves, and if they suggest something on the lines that you and Tyson have argued, I'll be pretty tempted.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Boris Johnson did not withdraw because of Gove.
    Is this another one of those smeary gossip stories? The last one was entirely wrong.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,138

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Wrong, he rose under Michael Howard
    At dusk?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Whoever would have thought it?? It's almost as if the plan was entirely political and designed to make life difficult for Labour.

For a decent opposition this is an absolute gold plated, where would sir like to sit, can I pour you a whisky, dinner will be served soon, opportunity.

Corbyn has to go, surely.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Osborne attempts to sink Gove even as he speaks.

Sam Coates paints a different picture.
    "At Policy Exchange waiting for Michael Gove to arrive. PX is the paramilitary wing of Cameroon conservatism"

".... Arguably as much about ensuring a particular Tory faction has longevity as it is about new ideas"

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

Set back for self-drive cars:

"Tesla Driver In First Self-Drive Fatal Crash
    Joshua Brown was killed when his car's cameras apparently failed to pick out a white trailer against a bright sky."

http://news.sky.com/story/1720018/tesla-driver-in-first-self-drive-fatal-crash
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Wow. Really?

Neither have I, but he impressed me during this referendum campaign.
    He was definitely one of the few to respect the rules of engagement.

Wonder if he'd be better as Party Chairman than any position where he gets to change laws, though, after the justice debacle.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    It's over. He's finally agreed to QUIT!

Ryan Giggs has agreed a settlement package to leave Manchester United
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639
    A good day to bury good news (that would be perceived as bad and damage his reputation further).

• Options

Thursday 7th July

May: 133, strangely down on Tuesday's vote
    Gove: 100
    Leadsom: 95

GOVE: "I am delighted to have received the support of 100 MPs and congratulate both Theresa on her victory and Andrea on her excellent campaign. However, it is very clear from my soundings amongst the local associations that Theresa commands the confidence of the members. I have therefore - reluctantly but firmly - concluded that I can best serve my country by stepping aside from this contest and letting Theresa get on with the job at hand."

That could bring the question of when to invoke Article 50 back on the agenda. As I said before ideally you want a member's vote as it allows time to negotiate or at least fact find without pressure...
This discussion has been closed.