Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling finds that Corbyn has lost his LAB membe

Comments

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    edited July 2016
    @Sandpit

I posted yesterday- have you bought some special glasses? You know you can buy some that when you look at Corbyn you see JFK. With the Brexit ones, what do you see? A make believe prosperous Britain where we rule again our colonies. Maybe we can reverse the US War of Independence when our mighty navy sails again.

Corbrexer- defintion- loony tunes ideologue who hasn't the remotest clue how the world works.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @GIN1138 I sometimes wish that we could post in different colours to highlight when we're being ironic.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,598
    GIN1138 said:

Michael Gove has just launched a twitter account. If that isn't a sign that he's in it for the long haul, I don't know what is.

Hard to see how he can be in for the "long haul" if he's toxic with his Party and doesn't have the numbers.

I still have no idea what really happened yesterday. It's all very, very odd.
    Certainly feels like there is more to this tale than we have heard so far. Why didn't Boris attempt to bluff it out?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,258
    MaxPB said:

The Osborne boom is based on a massive housing bubble.

I think that's absolutely right: people simply don't realise how unbalanced the UK economy is. Our current account deficit is close to 7%. To put that in context, almost a quarter of UK imports (a quarter!) are funded by either foreigners lending to us, or us selling off assets.

Our economy is increasingly resembling Spain's on the eve of the Eurozone crisis.

Fortunately, we will have currency depreciation to help cushion the blow. But irrespective, the household savings rate needs to move from 4% (a record low) to perhaps 11%. That will cause a nasty slowdown.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Sandpit said:

'Kin hell

Austria's highest court annuls presidential election narrowly lost by right-wing candidate

Whoa! Didn't the guy who lost campaign for an EU referendum?
    Don't think so, at least not with a prospect of implementing it - the post is ceremonial. But it's big news all the same.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Gobe installs Falconer as campaign chief.

Falconer resigns.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

'Kin hell

Austria's highest court annuls presidential election narrowly lost by right-wing candidate

Will Michael Gove support my fleet into Trieste ?
    That hasn't been part of Austria in almost a hundred years!
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Gove installs Falconer as campaign chief.

Falconer resigns.
  • Options
    @NickPalmer Looking at my betting slips, I'm all in favour of John McDonnell standing. His incident with the little red book, however, suggests that while he may be better than Jeremy Corbyn at some aspects of the leadership role, he still has considerable room for improvement.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

I think McDonnell's statement is pretty damned good. It's this sort of detailed analysis and forward-looking policy discussion that we need from anyone who is standing for the leadership (which apparently he isn't). If, say, Angela Eagle stands, I'm not interested in her opinions about Jeremy as I've heard them at length, I want to know what she stands for.

McDonnell's position is interesting if Corbyn did decide to step down. He has two big negatives - he's seen as much less sweet-natured than Corbyn by many other MPs (Corbyn is mostly liked by the resignees, they just don't think he's good at the job), and he once said pleasant things about the IRA (he's apologised and maybe it's yesterday's issue, or not?). On the other hand, he's a genuinely creative thinker who is doing a much better job of recognising changing realities and developing new policies (over everything from the economy to migration to Trident) than most shadow ministers. What do others think?

Ditching Freedom of Movement means I cannot vote for Labour again sadly.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Jobabob said:

Gove installs Falconer as campaign chief.

Falconer resigns.

You couldn't make it up ....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    tyson said:

@Sandpit

I posted yesterday- have you bought some special glasses? You know you can buy some that when you look at Corbyn you see JFK. With the Brexit ones, what do you see? A make believe prosperous Britain where we rule again our colonies. Maybe we can reverse the US War of Independence when our might navy sails again.

Corbrexer- defintion- loony tunes ideologue who hasn't the remotest clue how the world works.

You keep ignoring the fact that Italy is a basket case. You're the one whose blinkered. You think its the EU right or wrong. That's sad.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

So we may have a situation where the Tories lead by May will be the party campaigning in favour of the single market and some form of free movement and more immigration while Labour will campaign against free movement. What kind of a world is this.

I might put some money on the LibDems regaining Horney & Wood Green and Cambridge...
  • Options
    Gove on. Still only 12 MPs signed up according to Guido.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,100
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

The Osborne boom is based on a massive housing bubble.

I think that's absolutely right: people simply don't realise how unbalanced the UK economy is. Our current account deficit is close to 7%. To put that in context, almost a quarter of UK imports (a quarter!) are funded by either foreigners lending to us, or us selling off assets.

Our economy is increasingly resembling Spain's on the eve of the Eurozone crisis.

Fortunately, we will have currency depreciation to help cushion the blow. But irrespective, the household savings rate needs to move from 4% (a record low) to perhaps 11%. That will cause a nasty slowdown.
    Why on earth would anyone save anything when you can't get any return on your savings...
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,446
    edited July 2016
    Jobabob said:

Yes, quite right. I note that Nick still hasn't said whether he thinks Corbyn should do the honourable thing and resign.

Clearly Yvette is the best choice to lead the party. Yet the old left are so blinkered (an increasingly distasteful on immigration and Europe) that they cannot see it.

Yvette was awful during the leadership campaign. I put her in last place behind Burnham (like many people my two 2 were the two reform candidates - Corbyn and Kendall). None of the rejected will run again, its passed onto the next generation.

I don't know Dan Jarvis - he is literally an empty suit. But I do know Sir Keir Starmer. New as an MP yes. But endlessly experienced as to the machinations of politics and how this country works. If we have to choose someone with a back story its Starmer over Jarvis every time.

• Options
    Some kind of rare toad has just been spotted on the BBC news channel. It has a strange warbling mouth that is quite disgusting. Horrible looking creature.
  • Options
    Easy Jet in talks about moving HQ out of UK.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036

Pulpstar said:

'Kin hell

Will Michael Gove support my fleet into Trieste ?
    That hasn't been part of Austria in almost a hundred years!
    Fast moving political enviroment now :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016

@GIN1138 I sometimes wish that we could post in different colours to highlight when we're being ironic.

YOU CAN You just need skills in what Popbitch used to call the Dark Arts....

Annoyingly blink is no longer valid HTML....
  • Options

I think McDonnell's statement is pretty damned good. It's this sort of detailed analysis and forward-looking policy discussion that we need from anyone who is standing for the leadership (which apparently he isn't). If, say, Angela Eagle stands, I'm not interested in her opinions about Jeremy as I've heard them at length, I want to know what she stands for.

McDonnell's position is interesting if Corbyn did decide to step down. He has two big negatives - he's seen as much less sweet-natured than Corbyn by many other MPs (Corbyn is mostly liked by the resignees, they just don't think he's good at the job), and he once said pleasant things about the IRA (he's apologised and maybe it's yesterday's issue, or not?). On the other hand, he's a genuinely creative thinker who is doing a much better job of recognising changing realities and developing new policies (over everything from the economy to migration to Trident) than most shadow ministers. What do others think?

I'm not your target demographic, but it's clear that McDonnell is a political operator. He can string a sentence together. He's far more credible than Jeremy Corbyn and he wants to win an election. He's talking about policies not abstracts and ideals. Ticks the boxes for me.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

McDonnell speaking now; says he wants to be absolutely clear on immigration. After the UK leaves the EU “free movement of labour and people will come to an end.”

Anti-immigration feeling stemmed from austerity and economic uncertainty, he says, which Labour also needs to confront.

Quote from the Guardian’s “instant” site

This is not a line that Jeremy Corbyn can effectively deliver. McDonnell is a far better politician and is clearly more in synch with the thinking of ordinary Labour voters. Labour members will hate it.

I could not vote for a party led by an IRA apologist, but I don't doubt that Labour led by John McDonnell would fair much better than Labour led by Jeremy Corbyn. McDonnell may also have it in him to build bridges with the centre and the left of the party, which Corbyn is also incapable of doing.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,728
    Michael Gove is the Tory Ed Miliband, just imagine him eating a bacon sandwich
  • Options
    eek said:

McDonnell speaking now; says he wants to be absolutely clear on immigration. After the UK leaves the EU “free movement of labour and people will come to an end.”

Anti-immigration feeling stemmed from austerity and economic uncertainty, he says, which Labour also needs to confront.

McDonnell has actually grasped what Labour needs to say to keep the Northern and Midland seats.

He is a winner if Corbyn will stand down....
    At the expense of a 1983 style wipe out in the South.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2016

'Kin hell

I go out for a coffee and this happens in the interim.
  • Options
    Poor background for Gove. Sickly yellow colour. These things matter. May had a library.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    Test
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

McDonnell has actually grasped what Labour needs to say to keep the Northern and Midland seats.

The choice is a 1983 style wipe out in the North or a 1983 style wipe out in the South. Which one would you go for.....
  • Options

The warbling toad. He has just said he isn't glamorous. Well fuck me with a landpost, stating the bleeding obvious quote of the day.
  • Options
    eek said:

"Annoyingly" I can't do a marquee either...
  • Options
    eek said:

Ooh that's nifty. How do you do that?
  • Options
    Christopher Hope (@christopherhope)
    July 1, 2016
    Oh dear Just three Tory MPs are here for Michael Gove's launch. Perhaps even the Parliamentary party is squeamish about him #ToryLeadership

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 1h1 hour ago
    There must be a good chance that Theresa May will be Prime Minister by next Thursday, if she gets commanding lead among MPs
  • Options
    John_M said:

tyson said:

@Sandpit

I posted yesterday- have you bought some special glasses? You know you can buy some that when you look at Corbyn you see JFK. With the Brexit ones, what do you see? A make believe prosperous Britain where we rule again our colonies. Maybe we can reverse the US War of Independence when our might navy sails again.

You keep ignoring the fact that Italy is a basket case. You're the one whose blinkered. You think its the EU right or wrong. That's sad.
    If do a scatter plot with "government majority" on one side and "economic growth" on the other, you find that Italy has very clear inverse correlation. No government means strong economic growth; having a government (particularly one with a majority) means poor growth.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,952
    edited July 2016
    Who is Lynton working with now (he was Team Boris until yesterday) ?
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn "The bodies are piling up behind Gove"
  • Options

Do you have a link. There were rumours about that earlier this week that Easyjet denied...
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    edited July 2016
    eek said:

"orange"? "orange"? Pros use #FFA500
  • Options
    Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 2m2 minutes ago
    “Whatever loyalty is, I don’t have it,” he [didn’t] add
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Poor background for Gove. Sickly yellow colour. These things matter. May had a library.

I agree - I did laugh at the Yes, Minister context.

Good speech from Gove though so far.
  • Options
    I'm so using this as a headline

Gove, Gove will tear us apart
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    tyson said:

@Sandpit

I posted yesterday- have you bought some special glasses? You know you can buy some that when you look at Corbyn you see JFK. With the Brexit ones, what do you see? A make believe prosperous Britain where we rule again our colonies. Maybe we can reverse the US War of Independence when our mighty navy sails again.

Nope. We are where we are, so let's go out and make the most of the opportunities that result.

The referendum was last week's news, it would be chip paper now if the EU hadn't banned us from doing that!

Moping around and thinking only of the closed-minded EU will lead to the recession that some are talking about, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. So we need to act like we're the fifth biggest economy and get on with the job.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Nick, as you know I have never voted Labour and have thought that the party has always done more damage than good. However, I have to admit to if not actually liking some of McDonnell's ideas then at least thinking that he was on to something and deserved more of a hearing than he has been getting.

Personally, I could never vote for the bloke or the party if he was its leader because of his stance in other areas. But that is just me, others may well feel those are yesterday's issues.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

eek said:

Ooh that's nifty. How do you do that?
    http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_font_color.asp
  • Options

They should move to France and "enjoy" the french labour laws.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    tyson said:

Some kind of rare toad has just been spotted on the BBC news channel. It has a strange warbling mouth that is quite disgusting. Horrible looking creature.

What's Stewart Jackson saying?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,241
    edited July 2016

He's not *that* bad. Gove's time at education and justice has done nowhere near as much harm to the country as Ed whilst at energy.

But do I see him as PM? No. He doesn't have *it*, whatever *it* is.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

That isn't exactly far off at the moment....

I don't think McDonnell keeps the Midland seats. But then to be honest, I'm not sure who does. Watson perhaps. Gisella maybe. Eagle definitely not.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

tyson said:

@Sandpit

If do a scatter plot with "government majority" on one side and "economic growth" on the other, you find that Italy has very clear inverse correlation. No government means strong economic growth; having a government (particularly one with a majority) means poor growth.
    :lol:
  • Options
    eek said:

Do you have a link. There were rumours about that earlier this week that Easyjet denied...
    Came via Sky tweets.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

tyson said:

@Sandpit

You may have discovered an important economic law here. This could be your John Nash moment. How many years until you pick up your Nobel? ;)
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

tyson said:

@Sandpit

:lol:
    Which way round do we think the causation is...
  • Options
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

The choice is a 1983 style wipe out in the North or a 1983 style wipe out in the South. Which one would you go for.....
    As a man who believes government spending should be no more than 7% of GDP (where it was pre-WW1), I would go for both.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Pass the sick bag.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. Lowlander, quite, but you must (as a relative newcomer) learn to be patient with Mr. Eagles. He suffers delusions of historical understanding.

Mr. Eagles, blimey. Was the formerly defeated candidate a sceptic about the EU?
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

eek said:

I find the use of words rather than HEX more poignant
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    edited July 2016
    In fact @rcs1000, the demographics, Scottish/Welsh problems and their split metro/wc base are really working against Labour at the moment. I don't see how they muster even a coalition forming total without the Midlands.

They have to pivot away from metropolitanism to survive.
  • Options
    What's all this about the country he loves? Scotland is on the brink of leaving, thanks in huge measure to Gove.

• Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

Easy come, easy Gove.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,141
    From the Guardian again: Austrian presidential election result overturned and must be held again
  • Options
    Groovy.
  • Options
    Gove down to 12 on BF.
  • Options

From the Guardian again: Austrian presidential election result overturned and must be held again

Oh FFS.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, You Give Gove A Bad Name.
  • Options
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

tyson said:

@Sandpit

You may have discovered an important economic law here. This could be your John Nash moment. How many years until you pick up your Nobel? ;)
    It only seems to work for Italy, sadly. My theory is that Italian politicians are so venal and incompetent that the further the way they are from power, the better.

Did you know that the Five Star Movement initially applied to join the pro-European Alliance of Liberals and Democrats grouping in the European Parliament, and when they were turned down joined the UKIP grouping? Bizarre.
  • Options

He's not *that* bad. Gove's time at education and justice has done nowhere near as much harm to the country as Ed whilst at energy.

Gove's a very good minister, but he doesn't look like a PM. Contrast with May's speech yesterday, even down to the room he's in.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Pass the sick bag.

Sorry, I'm busy using it myself.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

I'm not your target demographic, but it's clear that McDonnell is a political operator. He can string a sentence together. He's far more credible than Jeremy Corbyn and he wants to win an election. He's talking about policies not abstracts and ideals. Ticks the boxes for me.
    I agree with everything JohnM said.
    Nick- I don't think being a bastard is a negative BTW. I think a kindly nature and political leadership are directly incompatible....I don't want my leader to be like my kindly Uncle Ralph. Being a cnut- the one swear word I will not write on this site- is a very good thing. So, he gets my tick too.
    And the IRA stuff- yes it's a cross, but I'm sure someone as clever as McDonnell can make amends for this if he's leader.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Gove down to 12 on BF.

A crushing blow for the Jacobites4Gove team. - Can they recover?
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 3m3 minutes ago
    Gove: "I did everything not to be a candidate''. Well yes, if you ignore the stabbing Boris in the back stuff...
  • Options
    Patrick tries to post something in
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,141

Oh FFS.
    Yup, I’d be distinctly unimpressed if I was Austrian.
  • Options
    Well this is going to be fun.
  • Options
    Oh dear, are people just discovering the range of HTML tags? This is going to get annoying very quickly.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Gove's a very good minister, but he doesn't look like a PM. Contrast with May's speech yesterday, even down to the room he's in.
    Yep. Doubt he'll get past Tuesday. The scale of his personal treachery is off the scale, even for the Nasty Party.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    eek said:

Lowlander said:

eek said:

Can you make strong points still?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Patrick said:

Patrick tries to post something in RED

you missed a > off the first font statement. Not a bad first effort though...
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

<font color='purple'>purple</font>

and change purple to colour of choice

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    PlatoSaid said:

dr_spyn said:
    Ha! Hofer sticks two fingers up at the EU.

I'm delighted for the Austrians. The whole thing smelled rotten. And the EU threatening them if they made the *wrong choice* was appalling.
    You guessed it.

"Postal Vote Fraud" is the reason.
  • Options

eek said:

Lowlander said:

eek said:

Maybe
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, it's not Gove's fault that he had to step in when Boris, very sadly, brutally cut his head off whilst combing his hair.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

PlatoSaid said:

dr_spyn said:

I'm delighted for the Austrians. The whole thing smelled rotten. And the EU threatening them if they made the *wrong choice* was appalling.
    You guessed it.

100+ % turnouts in some wards.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Oh dear, are people just discovering the range of HTML tags? This is going to get annoying very quickly.

Only if we have flashing Comic Sans :smiley:
  • Options
    Green
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

In fact @rcs1000, the demographics, Scottish/Welsh problems and their split metro/wc base are really working against Labour at the moment. I don't see how they muster even a coalition forming total without the Midlands.

They have to pivot away from metropolitanism to survive.

Without Scotland, losing their metropolitan heartlands in the South is equally fatal. They can either have 150 Northern seats, or 100 metropolitan and Southern.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Can anyone do a blue screen - style thing with that sort of yellow colour? It might contrast with his shirt, but it'd be fun to put different backgrounds in ... ;)

Oh, and on HTML tags: let's hope blink doesn't work in your browsers. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2016

eek said:

Lowlander said:

eek said:

YES
  • Options
    Is it the state of politics that's driving things into playing with styles and twitter type "turn X into a song"?

May as well join in.

The power of Gove
    A force from above
    Cleaning my soul
    Flame on burn desire
    Gove with tongues of fire
    Purge the soul
    Make Gove your goal
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Sandpit said:

Yep.. My work here is done for the day.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

PlatoSaid said:

dr_spyn said:

You guessed it.

Discovering thousands of last minute postal votes between the sofa cushions just smacked of someone pulling a fast one.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited July 2016
  • Options

MOLE VALLEY - WINNING HERE

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

PlatoSaid said:

dr_spyn said:

You guessed it.

Are they rerunning the whole thing, or just the final round?
  • Options
    I am the only person on here who helped (*) write a commercial web browser?

Ah, the joys of ECMAScript... :)

(*) In a small way.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

PlatoSaid said:

dr_spyn said:

You guessed it.

100+ % turnouts in some wards.
    If you're going to fix the result, it really does require a less cackhanded approach.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Can anyone do a blue screen - style thing with that sort of yellow colour? It might contrast with his shirt, but it'd be fun to put different backgrounds in ... ;)

Oh, and on HTML tags: let's hope blink doesn't work in your browsers. ;)
    Sadly or thankfully depending on your viewpoint both Blink and Marquee are deprecated and obsolete.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

tyson said:

@Sandpit

It only seems to work for Italy, sadly. My theory is that Italian politicians are so venal and incompetent that the further the way they are from power, the better.

Did you know that the Five Star Movement initially applied to join the pro-European Alliance of Liberals and Democrats grouping in the European Parliament, and when they were turned down joined the UKIP grouping? Bizarre.
    The MEPs have to form coalition groups of a certain size to qualify for EU grants of millions of euros. To hell with the ideaology.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    dr_spyn said:
    The solution is MORE POLITICS

Edit - size attribute is no longer supported it seems.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459

Gove down to 12 on BF.

A crushing blow for the Jacobites4Gove team. - Can they recover?
    He is very disappointing - not going anywhere in my opinion
This discussion has been closed.