Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling finds that Corbyn has lost his LAB membe

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245

Utterly OT, but those into videogames may be interested in my ramble about stuff we learnt from E3:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/e3-ramble.html

I loved Dishonored too :)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. C, quite. He displayed refreshing civility amidst the mud-slinging.

King Cole, fair comment. Grayling, then, would be suited for a role that involves little detail but being civil and sympathetic.

He'll end up becoming Chancellor now.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    Free money on Betfair if anyone wants a 3% return in 10 weeks. David Cameron to leave office in 2016 1.03. £5k available.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,095
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

Set back for self-drive cars:

"Tesla Driver In First Self-Drive Fatal Crash
    Joshua Brown was killed when his car's cameras apparently failed to pick out a white trailer against a bright sky."

http://news.sky.com/story/1720018/tesla-driver-in-first-self-drive-fatal-crash

It's no different from falling asleep at the wheel and crashing into a concrete barrier...
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,738
    If we're thinking putative line-ups under PM May - there will clearly be a very important post that hasn't been mentioned yet.... Chief Whip.

Now do you give it to Osborne on the grounds of keeping your enemies as close as possible, or is that the perfect place for him to do a Francis Urghuart (House of Cards original version) from.

Who else do you have in that role - whatevers going on with Labour they should at least all manage to troop through a lobby opposing cuts to Welfare, the NHS or whatever is needed - so you need a tight ship on the Tory side given the parliamentary artithmetic.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    @Mortimer

Yes well by that token we'd be recommending Cooper as PM, Reeves as Cote, Berger as Forsec and Kendall as Homsec
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,715

Worst. Tinder bio. Ever. pic.twitter.com/70NPFlzlO4

— Sam Parker (@samparkercouk) July 1, 2016

Omg
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    Gove has stopped taking questions. Event is over, apparently.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    @Mortimer

Yes well by that token we'd be recommending Cooper as PM, Reeves as Cote, Berger as Forsec and Kendall as Homsec, De Piero as Healthsec

• Options
    Lennon said:

If we're thinking putative line-ups under PM May - there will clearly be a very important post that hasn't been mentioned yet.... Chief Whip.

Now do you give it to Osborne on the grounds of keeping your enemies as close as possible, or is that the perfect place for him to do a Francis Urghuart (House of Cards original version) from.

Who else do you have in that role - whatevers going on with Labour they should at least all manage to troop through a lobby opposing cuts to Welfare, the NHS or whatever is needed - so you need a tight ship on the Tory side given the parliamentary artithmetic.

George Osborne for Chief Whip, on so many levels, works for me.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    @Nick Palmer- I hope you are over me comparing Corbyn to a mass murderer. That day, I was in full Brexit frustration, and I do feel that Corbyn must take a large slice of the blame.
    I take your point that he is a kind and principled man who believes that he has this one opportunity to change the Labour Party rather than my attempt to portray him as a zealous, narcissistic, psychopath.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    Norm said:

GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

i think we can face that it will be May vs Leadsom and I think it will be a close run thing

I wonder if Leadsom will be bought off by May: step down, endorse me, and get one of the great offices of state.
    PM: May
    DPM and Brexit: Gove
    CoE: Leadsom
    For Sec: Osborne
    Home: Hammond
    Defence: Johnson [if he wants a job at all]
    That would be a strong line-up though I think Osborne needs a spell on the backbenches so I'd say keep Hammond as For Sec and give Home to someone else.
    Putting Leadsom at home is the usual gender stereotyping. Time for a female CoE! Anyway WTF is so good about Hammond?
    May as PM and Leadsom as CoE would be awesome...
  • Options

Lennon said:

Oooooooh Madame

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Mr. 1000, the world was a nice change but a bit more mission variety would've gone down well. As I said, I'll probably wait until it's £20, then see how the reviews have gone.

If I have £20, of course. *plays tiny violin*

Edited extra bit: did you know Lena Headey voiced one of the characters?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    edited July 2016

Lennon said:

Nah - GO on the backbenches works much better.

David Davis as Chief Whip is an idea though - might get him voting regularly with the Government.... ;-)
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Lennon said:

David Davis as Chief Whip is an idea though - might get him voting regularly with the Government.... ;-)
    I think you missed TSE's innuendo ever so slightly. Clue- look at his poster picture.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Lennon said:

Gove wants Ozzy as Chancellor, that's all you need to know about the awesomeness of Ozzy
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Mortimer said:

Lennon said:

:smiley:
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    edited July 2016
    eek said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Joshua Brown was killed when his car's cameras apparently failed to pick out a white trailer against a bright sky."

It's no different from falling asleep at the wheel and crashing into a concrete barrier...
    Wouldn't radar be sensible? Seems foolish to rely on one sensor with no backup. Surely redundancy is required.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

It's not a self drive car though, it's more like CruiseControl++
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

Nick, we need a credible Labour opposition. The country needs it. I very strongly believe that if Corbyn were to go, it would make such a huge difference not only to the way that Labour is seen by voters as a whole, but also to morale in the party. I think all sides have to be prepared to compromise to achieve that aim. It needs a recognition from the left - people like you - that there are better leaders for Labour than Corbyn; while the centre and the right - people like me - have to recognise that people like John McDonnell have earned, genuinely earned, a place at the top table of policy formation. A presentable leader who can open ears in places where Labour is not currently heard will actually help the left.

I don't know how it can be done, but there has to be a way for some kind of compromise to be reached. Corbyn is the problem here. It is not a policy thing. If he goes, it is almost like with one leap we are free.

Well, for a start it's nice to be on speaking terms again :).

I think where I am at the moment - not that it matters for anyone except me, but maybe typical of a chunk of members - is that I'm instinctively loyal, I like Jeremy personally and admire his backbone, I vehemently dislike the whispering campaign against him over the last year, and I feel nothing but contempt for anonymous critics who don't have the guts to stand. All those things make me oppose anything like a coup.

But a fair election is something else. I'll have a look at the candidates if and when they emerge, see how they conduct themselves, and if they suggest something on the lines that you and Tyson have argued, I'll be pretty tempted.

Fair enough - I can't argue with that. Peace is best, I admit. I need to return to an equilibrium. This referendum has eaten me up. I am genuinely sorry for being so obsessive and rude to you. I will try much harder not to be.

The announcement just now from Osborne shows why a strong, credible opposition is needed. The Tories have just dumped - casually and without fanfare - their entire economic policy. In so doing, they have conceded that they have inflicted austerity on the country out of choice rather than necessity. Meanwhile, they are busy stabbing each other in the back to get a PM's job they believe is a Tory's by right. Can we really leave the Brexit negotiations to them and feel confident that what emerges will benefit ordinary voters? I don't think so.

Everyone in Labour must now look outwards. The country needs the kind of credible opposition that Jeremy Corbyn just cannot provide. Others can, though. It will need compromise and brave thinking from all of us. But it can be done. It would be unforgivable and Labour's death knell if it does not happen.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

There are some good reasons to expect that Johnson will not wish to be considered for a top job, and may instead retire from front line politics at the next General Election.

I recently read Mr Johnson's book on Churchill. Chuchill was declared politically dead many times.

Boris Johnson did not withdraw because of Gove.
    Someone probably showed him his "black file" that would be used if he stood...
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    GIN1138 said:

Norm said:

GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

i think we can face that it will be May vs Leadsom and I think it will be a close run thing

I wonder if Leadsom will be bought off by May: step down, endorse me, and get one of the great offices of state.
    That would be a strong line-up though I think Osborne needs a spell on the backbenches so I'd say keep Hammond as For Sec and give Home to someone else.
    Putting Leadsom at home is the usual gender stereotyping. Time for a female CoE! Anyway WTF is so good about Hammond?
    May will have Osborne as her CoE.

And Hammond as Foreign Sec.
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, at the risk of sounding Anglo-centric, the UK leaving the EU (or voting to do so...) is a major change from last time. I wonder which candidate it suits?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Lennon said:

Surely Whitt(pp)ingdale. Also does less harm there than lashing out at the BBC.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    Jobabob said:

@Mortimer

Yes well by that token we'd be recommending Cooper as PM, Reeves as Cote, Berger as Forsec and Kendall as Homsec

I voted Cooper last year, but I think we have moved on now. I wonder if people are holding back till Chilcott next week.The fall out from the possibility of JC calling for TB to be charged with war crimes is too scary to seriously contemplate.

• Options

eek said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Wouldn't radar be sensible? Seems foolish to rely on one sensor with no backup. Surely redundancy is required.
    Radar is what VW use for their adaptive cruise control. Lane Assist (keeping the car within the lane) is camera based. I'm not sure how the addon that watches for things in a lane to prevent you moving into sideways is called
  • Options
    What I'm finding so interesting about Gove here is that he's just created an alternative manifesto

MPs will no doubt get a copy of his speech, and approached over the weekend/Monday to sign up to it. It's very substantial as a policy platform.

How interesting as a tactic. May went for Jim Hacker tartan and library background/No Change - Gove's gone for Lots of Change.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Mortimer said:

Lennon said:

I think you missed TSE's innuendo ever so slightly. Clue- look at his poster picture.

I chose to studiously ignore the poor entendre.... ;-)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

GIN1138 said:

Norm said:

GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Osborne has to go from No 11. If he doesn't she will regret it in 5, 4, 3....
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited July 2016
    I don't know why everyone is SO sure May is leader now? Yes Gove hasn't covered himself in glory but the membership still like him. Remember the last time everyone was saying this election is only going one way and what happened? It went the other. Everyone needs to calm down and wait till the members get a say not the MP's. The public are not listening to the establishment and whilst Tory members aren't exactly representative of the public most of them just went against their MP's and voted out. Have a feeling they are about to do the same. Yes Theresa will get the majority of MP's on Tuesday but so what? Its not up to them its the members. This is fast moving and I would advice don't bet your house on May becoming leader. She will be questioned on her record, and er it isn't exactly great.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

What I'm finding so interesting about Gove here is that he's just created an alternative manifesto

MPs will no doubt get a copy of his speech, and approached over the weekend/Monday to sign up to it. It's very substantial as a policy platform.

How interesting as a tactic. May went for Jim Hacker tartan and library background/No Change - Gove's gone for Lots of Change.

A lot of change would also mean a General Election...
  • Options
    Miss Plato, point of order: Hacker was told bright yellow wallpaper or suchlike to hide anything changing, the oak-panelling and books were for a speech where there was substantial change.
  • Options
    Hey everyone - in case you have not noticed, George Osborne has just abandoned the government's entire economic and fiscal policy. Even this week that's a pretty big development.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Worst. Tinder bio. Ever. pic.twitter.com/70NPFlzlO4

— Sam Parker (@samparkercouk) July 1, 2016
    https://twitter.com/samparkercouk/status/748835045234925568

forgot to add ..... and no knives left!
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    rcs1000 said:

There are some good reasons to expect that Johnson will not wish to be considered for a top job, and may instead retire from front line politics at the next General Election.

Ruddy Scottish reasons again?

It's hard to keep up with all the rumours.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

Jobabob said:

@Mortimer

I voted Cooper last year, but I think we have moved on now. I wonder if people are holding back till Chilcott next week.The fall out from the possibility of JC calling for TB to be charged with war crimes is too scary to seriously contemplate.

Isn't it inevitable that Corbyn will call for Tony to be arrested? Stop The War/Jezza has it as a life's agenda.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

She doesn't need to.

PBers are massively over-rating Leadsom's chances. Most party members have barely heard of her.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Has Gove finished his introductory remarks yet?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,158
    Charles said:

(1) Why would they? There is no mechanism - even without members support - that can force Corbyn to step down. I suppose the NEC could expel him from the party, but that would seem extreme. If there is a chance he/the left would lose, why would he go?

Options:

a) Stay, against a constantly sulking parliamentary party that has overwhelmingly declared that he isn't up to the job. Probably party split, huge electoral defeat.
    b) Do a deal to make sure a talented, young left-winger gets on the ballot, highly likely to win, disarm the moderates who can't make the same move again, reasonable chance of winning the election, failing that a good chance of staying on for another shot.
  • Options

I wonder how much Brexit might have an impact to embolden or scare the Austrians? (Might be a thread in that...!)
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

She doesn't need to.

PBers are massively over-rating Leadsom's chances. Most party members have barely heard of her.
    At least she's not a proven loser. Never bend over backwards to secure the support of a loser.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

GIN1138 said:

Norm said:

GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Osborne needs a "break". Most of what went wrong for Remain is down to him (especially the "punishment" budget)

• Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

She doesn't need to.

Most party members hadn't heard of Cameron.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    PlatoSaid said:

valleyboy said:

Jobabob said:

@Mortimer

Isn't it inevitable that Corbyn will call for Tony to be arrested? Stop The War/Jezza has it as a life's agenda.
    Don't think so. I've never heard him go for anyone personally - he'll say something about the possibility of prosecutions, maybe, but it'll mostly be "for God's sake learn from this and don't do it again in Syria, Libya and anywhere else where we want to meddle".
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

Mr. Herdson, at the risk of sounding Anglo-centric, the UK leaving the EU (or voting to do so...) is a major change from last time. I wonder which candidate it suits?

Both sides can play it their way:

The fascist: "See, you don't have to do what the establishment tell you. If Britain can, so can you."

The Green: "Look at what has happened to Britain's politics, economy and society since it rejected the European mainstream. Don't let that happen here."
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639

Nick, we need a credible Labour opposition. The country needs it. I very strongly believe that if Corbyn were to go, it would make such a huge difference not only to the way that Labour is seen by voters as a whole, but also to morale in the party. I think all sides have to be prepared to compromise to achieve that aim. It needs a recognition from the left - people like you - that there are better leaders for Labour than Corbyn; while the centre and the right - people like me - have to recognise that people like John McDonnell have earned, genuinely earned, a place at the top table of policy formation. A presentable leader who can open ears in places where Labour is not currently heard will actually help the left.

I don't know how it can be done, but there has to be a way for some kind of compromise to be reached. Corbyn is the problem here. It is not a policy thing. If he goes, it is almost like with one leap we are free.

Well, for a start it's nice to be on speaking terms again :).

I think where I am at the moment - not that it matters for anyone except me, but maybe typical of a chunk of members - is that I'm instinctively loyal, I like Jeremy personally and admire his backbone, I vehemently dislike the whispering campaign against him over the last year, and I feel nothing but contempt for anonymous critics who don't have the guts to stand. All those things make me oppose anything like a coup.

But a fair election is something else. I'll have a look at the candidates if and when they emerge, see how they conduct themselves, and if they suggest something on the lines that you and Tyson have argued, I'll be pretty tempted.
    That's interesting Nick. I made the point earlier that Corbyn's polling ratings might be being boltered by instinctive loyalty to the leader amongst Labour members but that that might fade once a leadership election is underway. Your comment seems to confirm that, and the question is whether your views are typical.

Personally in deciding what to do I'm less interested in how we got to where we are and I'm focused solely on how Labour can find a route out of this mess. The party cannot go into an election with 80% of the party's MPs having expressed no confidence in the person leading the party. So that means (1) change the leader or (2) deselect most of the MPs. The downside of the former is that many of those joining after 2015 would leave, but given that so few of the new members have contributed in any substantial way to campaigning I might not notice. The downside of the latter would be enormous in terms of seats lost and the party would undoubtably split.

Frankly at the moment you could put up anyone other than someone from the hard core who supported Liz Kendall and I'd vote for them over Corbyn.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    NoEasyDay said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

She doesn't need to.

I cant see any surprises from Fox. Gove is toast, just there to swing his support behind whoever Murdoch decides, at the appropriate time. So it's May's to lose, unless either May messes up or Leadsom/Crabb pulls off a Cameron during the campaign.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I recently read Mr Johnson's book on Churchill. Chuchill was declared politically dead many times.

Boris Johnson did not withdraw because of Gove.
    Someone probably showed him his "black file" that would be used if he stood...
    I think it's fair to say there would have been more than a few stories in the Sundays, should Boris have decided to run. There's a lot of old news to remind people about too.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

rcs1000 said:

Ruddy Scottish reasons again?

It's hard to keep up with all the rumours.
    Has Boris lost control of his Eurosausage once too often? Or did Sir Humphrey send for the candidates' MI5 files?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Tyson, Southam - agreed, all hatchets buried. Our own little broad church!
  • Options

Chris Grayling will get a top job from Prime Minister Theresa May, I'm talking one of the great offices of state

Yep, he's been excellent throughout the campaign and very good at avoiding trashing his colleagues. Fox will get something, he too has been loyal and sensible. Leadsom is too inexperienced to be Chancellor, maybe First Sec or one of the Brexit team.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    nunu said:

I don't know why everyone is SO sure May is leader now? Yes Gove hasn't covered himself in glory but the membership still like him. Remember the last time everyone was saying this election is only going one way and what happened? It went the other. Everyone needs to calm down and wait till the members get a say not the MP's. The public are not listening to the establishment and whilst Tory members aren't exactly representative of the public most of them just went against their MP's and voted out. Have a feeling they are about to do the same. Yes Theresa will get the majority of MP's on Tuesday but so what? Its not up to them its the members. This is fast moving and I would advice don't bet your house on May becoming leader. She will be questioned on her record, and er it isn't exactly great.

Well this member is voting for her - indeed the party need to have some sense and get on and appoint her - we need stability now
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Norm said:

GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Please God NO in both instances!
  • Options
    So there was no late break of undecideds to Remain.
  • Options

I wonder how much Brexit might have an impact to embolden or scare the Austrians? (Might be a thread in that...!)
    The Spanish election on Sunday saw a swing away from the Eurosceptic Podemos.

I think a lot depends on how the UK does post Brexit. I can see the Swedes, the Czechs, the Poles, the Slovaks and the Danes all keeping a close eye on our progress.

If we do well, it might well lead to those who are not comfortable with the political side of the EU peeling off.

On the other hand, if Corbyn gets his hands on power, and destroys the British economy, it might have the opposite effect.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

The revolting peasants are slow to understand the establishment reasserting control......
  • Options

Hey everyone - in case you have not noticed, George Osborne has just abandoned the government's entire economic and fiscal policy. Even this week that's a pretty big development.

That news was last Friday morning. The voters decided it.
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

She doesn't need to.

Who?
  • Options

Chris Grayling will get a top job from Prime Minister Theresa May, I'm talking one of the great offices of state

Yep, he's been excellent throughout the campaign and very good at avoiding trashing his colleagues. Fox will get something, he too has been loyal and sensible. Leadsom is too inexperienced to be Chancellor, maybe First Sec or one of the Brexit team.
    Leadsom has got a far better business background than Osborne when he became CoE in 2010?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "It is hard to pinpoint any particular reason why these results ended up being more accurate than others"
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Is something actually happening?
  • Options
    Do the clocks go forward before Gove gets to the closing statement of Part II ?
  • Options

James Lyons: Osborne abandons deficit target: "We will continue to be tough on the deficit but we must be realistic."
    Would've been huge news, last week.

Doubt it makes the front pages.....
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Gove actually launched during the Somme solumn service. Another bad taste blunder from this repellent individual.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Gove actually launched during the Somme solumn service. Another bad taste blunder from this repellent individual.

Agreed - I thought that was very disrespectful.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Pong said:
    I've laid the snot out of him. Rubio backers MK II
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

THat is vulnerable to a joint Gove/Leadsom ticket
  • Options

Which is why I think Gove may not get the plum job he so clearly believes is appropriately his.....quite an achievement to trash both the opposition AND your own side...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    GIN1138 said:

Leadsom has got a far better business background than Osborne when he became CoE in 2010?
    Sure. But it's not a business position, it's a political and government position.

I understand that Leavers are terribly keen on her, but that's only because she's the only vaguely credible figure who told them what they wanted to hear. That doesn't make her suddenly capable of going straight into the number 2 job (as even Boris, to his credit, appears to have realised).
  • Options
    edited July 2016

"Buried hatchets" in each other and then a joint burial in the Broad Left Church Graveyard ....

Just a polite enquiry, don't you know .. :smiley:
  • Options
    Pong said:
    LOL! Who on Earth is backing him? He's not an MP, and as far as I can tell hasn't said anything in public in months!
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

She doesn't need to.

If the final two are May and Leadsom then straight away Leadsom becomes the Leave candidate. Its not just individuals it's factions too.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Lord Sugar clearly doesn't like Gove much:

twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/748824918876385281
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Norm said:

GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Osborne has to go from No 11. If he doesn't she will regret it in 5, 4, 3....
    I would be shocked if May has Osborne in her Govt. One plus factor in her favour.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,223
    eek said:

eek said:

AndyJS said:

O/T:

Radar is what VW use for their adaptive cruise control. Lane Assist (keeping the car within the lane) is camera based. I'm not sure how the addon that watches for things in a lane to prevent you moving into sideways is called
    Typical sensors are cameras (single and stereo), radar, lidar. Allegedly Tesla just use one non-stereo camera.

There are some very good comments about this crash below the line n ArsTechnica:
    http://arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2016/06/tesla-autopilot-fatal-crash-nhtsa-investigation

IMO Tesla are playing with fire. The tech is nowhere near mature enough for this sort of rollout.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Norm said:

GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Please can we have Lord Hannan as Foreign Sec!
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

GIN1138 said:

Sure. But it's not a business position, it's a political and government position.

I understand that Leavers are terribly keen on her, but that's only because she's the only vaguely credible figure who told them what they wanted to hear. That doesn't make her suddenly capable of going straight into the number 2 job.
    yes but if you discount May who didn't get involved do the remain side have any credible PMs? Cameron has failed and shown terrible judgement, the public hate Osborne and if the next best is Javid, Morgan or Crabb then suddenly Leadsom looks fairly presidential both in terms of CV and how she handled the referendum.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

There's no evidence Boris heart was ever in the HoC - too much graft...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

She doesn't need to.

Much like, er, who was that chap again?

Oh year. David Cameron.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

She doesn't need to.

If the final two are May and Leadsom then straight away Leadsom becomes the Leave candidate. Its not just individuals it's factions too.
    Well quite. It's obvious.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

She doesn't need to.

Logical and correct. We will know after Tuesday's first election if the betting markets are predicting this correctly.
  • Options

Yep - I have decided to stop sniping from the sidelines. I have just rejoined the Labour party. I feel a little bit emotional.

What's that about rats jumping onto sinking ships? :-)

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:
    It's not, like, completely impossible.

I mean, I guess I might back him at 1000/1 on a *who knows what might happen if Corbyn hangs on for five years* basis.
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

She doesn't need to.

Much like, er, who was that chap again?

Oh year. David Cameron.
    Copy cat ! I said that.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    The Austrian presidential re-run will be interesting. Two conflicting theories on test:

- Brexit will fuel the right-wing/anti-EU across Europe
    - Voters don't like court-ordered re-runs
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Labour rebels seem to have run out of people to resign from the Shadow Cabinet.

Bad tactics.

Should have organised one a day not one an hour.

Plus should have had a leader who could challenge Corbyn.

Rebels in disarray?
  • Options
    scotslass said:

Add it to the pile of smelly stuff.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:
    It's not, like, completely impossible.

I mean, I guess I might back him at 1000/1 on a *who knows what might happen if Corbyn hangs on for five years* basis.
    I'm hoping Hillary gives him a job. Hopefully that'll send the price out.
  • Options

scotslass said:

Agreed - I thought that was very disrespectful.
    I suspect simple incompetence...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

I think BIS would be good for her, especially now that he UK will be getting trade competency back from the EU. We could even rename it to the DTI!
  • Options
    Superb article on what should come out of Chilcott re Military Covenant

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/soldiers-left-defenceless-from-the-somme-to-iraq-82kxxv5dc
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

She doesn't need to.

exactly, and if membership vote down leave/remain lines then Leadsom wins. She also has much less baggage than May and with May minds are lagely made up, Andrea is underestimated in polling due to her less prominent position. With minds still to be made up May is rightfully favourite but all too often being in the lead this early in the campaign is not where you wish to be and momnetum could be key.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

She doesn't need to.

Not really. Most members (and indeed most MPs) are neither fanatical Leavers nor fanatical Remainers and won't vote on factional lines. That division is rapidly becoming ancient history, the decision has been taken to leave and it's now about the best way forward. That's why MPs such as Maria Caulfield (a very strong Leaver) are happy to support Stephen Crabb, and Grayling supports Theresa May.
This discussion has been closed.