Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling finds that Corbyn has lost his LAB membe

Comments

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Michael Gove is the Tory Ed Miliband, just imagine him eating a bacon sandwich

Or applauding:

https://twitter.com/johnjamesscott/status/748818826251292672
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. 1000, not entirely clear but seems to be the final round:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36681475

It'll happen in September or October.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,247
    Anyone found playing with HTML tags after 12pm BST today will suffer a 24 hour ban.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

I think McDonnell's statement is pretty damned good. It's this sort of detailed analysis and forward-looking policy discussion that we need from anyone who is standing for the leadership (which apparently he isn't). If, say, Angela Eagle stands, I'm not interested in her opinions about Jeremy as I've heard them at length, I want to know what she stands for.

McDonnell's position is interesting if Corbyn did decide to step down. He has two big negatives - he's seen as much less sweet-natured than Corbyn by many other MPs (Corbyn is mostly liked by the resignees, they just don't think he's good at the job), and he once said pleasant things about the IRA (he's apologised and maybe it's yesterday's issue, or not?). On the other hand, he's a genuinely creative thinker who is doing a much better job of recognising changing realities and developing new policies (over everything from the economy to migration to Trident) than most shadow ministers. What do others think?

There is no point in being a creative thinker if you are not able to do anything with the thinking. For McDonnell to have any chance of turning thoughts into policies - or even just to influence the debate on Brexit from the opposition benches - Labour needs a new leader. Could members find it in themselves to vote for another candidate if McDonnell was part of the package? In other words, do as Tyson says: find a leader that can speak to middle Britain (England) as well as the Labour heartlands, with McDonnell guaranteed the shadow chancellor slot in any new cabinet? Someone like Dan Jarvis gets Labour a hearing in places where labour will not be heard right now. That is an opportunity for McDonnell, as well as other left wingers. What labour needs more than anything else is a shadow cabinet in which its best operators are all contributing. I will concede you McDonnell, but I would also posit that it should include the likes of Umana, Reeves, Cooper, Smith, Leslie, and so on. The Tories need to be facing a credible opposition - for the good of the country, if nothing else. Corbyn just cannot deliver that.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,099

I am the only person on here who helped (*) write a commercial web browser?

Ah, the joys of ECMAScript... :)

(*) In a small way.

If we are going for boosts, I've got 3 lines of code in the Linux Kernel... (all to get my laptop's sound card to work back in 2002)
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

Oh dear, are people just discovering the range of HTML tags? This is going to get annoying very quickly.

Yep.. My work here is done for the day.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/yellow-face/feeling-evil-smiley-emoticon.png
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    dr_spyn said:
    And so it begins. Regrexit is real. SeanT must take a bow.

A sensible centrist europhile Labour party pledging not to invoke Article 50 would stand a very good chance of winning a GE. It would lose some seats up north, but gain some in the SE.

The end of Southern Discomfort?

Interesting.
  • Options
    eek said:

(*) In a small way.

If we are going for boosts, I've got 3 lines of code in the Linux Kernel... (all to get my laptop's sound card to work back in 2002)
    I used to have about 50 lines in Wordpress... but someone replaced it with well written code about eight years ago.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Anyone found playing with HTML tags after 12pm BST today will suffer a 24 hour ban.

Have you banned ?

EDIT: I guess you have :(
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    rcs1000 said:

RodCrosby said:

PlatoSaid said:

dr_spyn said:
    Ha! Hofer sticks two fingers up at the EU.

I'm delighted for the Austrians. The whole thing smelled rotten. And the EU threatening them if they made the *wrong choice* was appalling.
    You guessed it.

"Postal Vote Fraud" is the reason.
    Are they rerunning the whole thing, or just the final round?
    Just the final round, I understand.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    tyson said:

Sadly, all those posters resonate, now even more. I'd publish them to show the futility of the CorBrexers position- Corbrexer (Corbyn/Brexit)- I have now joined these two hateful ideologies together because they are so well suited.
    Tyson, the campaign finished last week. The result is in. You can stop now.
  • Options
    tyson said:

John_M said:

I think McDonnell's statement is pretty damned good. It's this sort of detailed analysis and forward-looking policy discussion that we need from anyone who is standing for the leadership (which apparently he isn't). If, say, Angela Eagle stands, I'm not interested in her opinions about Jeremy as I've heard them at length, I want to know what she stands for.

McDonnell's position is interesting if Corbyn did decide to step down. He has two big negatives - he's seen as much less sweet-natured than Corbyn by many other MPs (Corbyn is mostly liked by the resignees, they just don't think he's good at the job), and he once said pleasant things about the IRA (he's apologised and maybe it's yesterday's issue, or not?). On the other hand, he's a genuinely creative thinker who is doing a much better job of recognising changing realities and developing new policies (over everything from the economy to migration to Trident) than most shadow ministers. What do others think?

I'm not your target demographic, but it's clear that McDonnell is a political operator. He can string a sentence together. He's far more credible than Jeremy Corbyn and he wants to win an election. He's talking about policies not abstracts and ideals. Ticks the boxes for me.
    I agree with everything JohnM said.
    Nick- I don't think being a bastard is a negative BTW. I think a kindly nature and political leadership are directly incompatible....I don't want my leader to be like my kindly Uncle Ralph. Being a cnut- the one swear word I will not write on this site- is a very good thing. So, he gets my tick too.
    And the IRA stuff- yes it's a cross, but I'm sure someone as clever as McDonnell can make amends for this if he's leader.

He doesn't have to be leader. A guaranteed slot as shadow chancellor would surely work.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,237
    eek said:

(*) In a small way.

Bah. You beat me.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Tom Newton Dunn "The bodies are piling up behind Gove"

Are the bodies dead or alive?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,719

Michael Gove is the Tory Ed Miliband, just imagine him eating a bacon sandwich

Or applauding:

https://twitter.com/johnjamesscott/status/748818826251292672
    Oh that's bad.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,596
    Gove rambling on now. No idea where he is going with all this. Society's a mess. We need to change. Radical change. New Enlightenment.

This is really going to hover up the membership of the Tory party out in the sticks.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Is Brutus still going ....
  • Options
    Anyone au fait with Tory leadership election rules? Could we get May by some sort of coronation WAY sooner than Sept? Like if the others withdraw or she gets 100% at the first round or something? I think it would be dramatically good news for the country if she were installed ASAP rather than having to go through 2 months of pantomime.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Sandpit said:

Oh dear, are people just discovering the range of HTML tags? This is going to get annoying very quickly.

For those of us with eyesight problems some posts become unreadable.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,189
    This is a political auction, with a winner's curse.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited July 2016
    Isn't Gove dragging his speech out a bit?

Christ, I thought he'd finished there, but now he's off again...
  • Options

eek said:

(*) In a small way.

Bah. You beat me.
    Don't worry it sort of trumps most people who care about such things.... I keep it quiet as its literally the only bit of C code I've written since 1994....
  • Options
    What's Osborne up to. Seems he has just announced we will not hit the deficit targets now. Just as Gove speaks?
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    How long is this speech going to take.....?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Yes. Homes for All now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    eek said:

Sadly or thankfully depending on your viewpoint both Blink and Marquee are deprecated and obsolete.

I'm certainly deprecated. But.... Obsolete? Noooooo.......
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Not Doctor Who, the Vienna Opera. I understand that when the Viennese courts were reconstituted after WW2 they couldn't find any judicial robes that weren't associated with the Nazis, and had to borrow costumes from the opera house instead, and Austrian court dress has been based on these ever since.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    rcs1000 said:

What do you mean playing?

Can we use it for appropriate highlighting?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Yes. It needs to wrap up.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Patrick said:

Anyone au fait with Tory leadership election rules? Could we get May by some sort of coronation WAY sooner than Sept? Like if the others withdraw or she gets 100% at the first round or something? I think it would be dramatically good news for the country if she were installed ASAP rather than having to go through 2 months of pantomime.

If she's the only candidate there will be no member vote. Short of changing the system while we are in it, that is the only way to truncate the process.
  • Options

Tom Newton Dunn "The bodies are piling up behind Gove"

Are the bodies dead or alive?
    Dead. It is their friends and relatives that are out for revenge.
    Ending Cameron's career
    Ending Boris's bid
    Ending REMAIN europhiles participation in the EU state.
  • Options
    Will Gove never stop .... even the paint behind him has dried out !!
  • Options
    JackW said:

Jobabob said:

Gove installs Falconer as campaign chief.

Falconer resigns.

You couldn't make it up ....

Truth is indeed stranger than fiction, Jack.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    RodCrosby said:

He has a very well developed policy platform, for someone who only decided to stand 72 hours ago.
  • Options
    "nearly two thirds believe they were misled by the Leave campaign’s flagship pledge to give the NHS £350 million which it claimed was being sent a week to Brussels"

Durrr
  • Options
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

The Osborne boom is based on a massive housing bubble.

I think that's absolutely right: people simply don't realise how unbalanced the UK economy is. Our current account deficit is close to 7%. To put that in context, almost a quarter of UK imports (a quarter!) are funded by either foreigners lending to us, or us selling off assets.

Our economy is increasingly resembling Spain's on the eve of the Eurozone crisis.

Fortunately, we will have currency depreciation to help cushion the blow. But irrespective, the household savings rate needs to move from 4% (a record low) to perhaps 11%. That will cause a nasty slowdown.
    Why on earth would anyone save anything when you can't get any return on your savings...

Saving for a rainy day.

Why spend now, eg on a house, if you can buy later at a lower price.

Looking forward to buying my penthouse flat in London for under half a mil.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052

tyson said:

John_M said:

I'm not your target demographic, but it's clear that McDonnell is a political operator. He can string a sentence together. He's far more credible than Jeremy Corbyn and he wants to win an election. He's talking about policies not abstracts and ideals. Ticks the boxes for me.
    I agree with everything JohnM said.
    Nick- I don't think being a bastard is a negative BTW. I think a kindly nature and political leadership are directly incompatible....I don't want my leader to be like my kindly Uncle Ralph. Being a cnut- the one swear word I will not write on this site- is a very good thing. So, he gets my tick too.
    And the IRA stuff- yes it's a cross, but I'm sure someone as clever as McDonnell can make amends for this if he's leader.

He doesn't have to be leader. A guaranteed slot as shadow chancellor would surely work.

Clearly McDonnell is the best policy thinker in the Labour party at the minute, and his new economics grasp the new realities.
    I think that would be the best outcome- McDonnell as shadow chancellor given economic freedom to make policy under a moderate leader- Jarvis or Starmer.
    Also, a free vote to be given to the membership on trident and a commitment to lower the threshold for MP nominations for future elections so a left wing voice is included.
    That would enshrine the Corbyn legacy into the long term constitution of the Labour Party and enable him to stand down thinking job done.
  • Options
    John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 3m3 minutes ago
    "Too many think they are Steve Jobs but in fact they’re really David Brent" Gove on overpaid business people

Too many people think they are PM, when actually they are that young chap with the glasses from Last of the Summer Wine.
  • Options

Patrick said:

If she's the only candidate there will be no member vote. Short of changing the system while we are in it, that is the only way to truncate the process.
    There is a risk that her MP vote is so high that the rest back out.
  • Options

"nearly two thirds believe they were misled by the Leave campaign’s flagship pledge to give the NHS £350 million which it claimed was being sent a week to Brussels"

Durrr

Has anyone seen that film Idiocracy?
  • Options

Not Doctor Who, the Vienna Opera. I understand that when the Viennese courts were reconstituted after WW2 they couldn't find any judicial robes that weren't associated with the Nazis, and had to borrow costumes from the opera house instead, and Austrian court dress has been based on these ever since.
    Thank you for that fact, that's wonderful
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?
  • Options
    Gove - Do we get oranges at half time .... about 3 days from now.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,110

kle4 said:

Great council result for the yellows in Leatherhead.

I suspect if (and obviously that's a big if) there's a GE this year, they could well win back REMAIN seats like Oxford W, Cheltenham, Twickenham and Bath.

Those seats voted Remain because the Tories there voted Remain. I wouldn't get your hopes up....
    I rather think you're missing the point that at any GE in the autumn the Lib Dems will be unequivocally standing with a policy to challenge Brexit. The Conservative party won't.

But there won't be an autumn election, as likely next PM May has said.

Good luck to the LibDems in 2020 running on a rejoin the EU ticket - complete with the Euro and Schengen. It won't happen, will it? No. In which case the LibDem position will have been a very temporary one.

They're trying to latch on to the 48 remain support so they can increase their base. If that can go from 5 to 10 with such a policy, they hope picking up at GE, that'd be good for them. Nothing else has worked.

And May's comments mean nothing. Cameron said he wouldn't resign. I don't think either party wants a ge right now so it won't happen, but if they changed their minds or even think now it might be a good idea, you wouldn't say so.now, disrupting things.
    I know it's difficult for us hard-bitten cynics who bet on politics to accept, but perhaps many LibDem activists actually do believe in the EU, warts and all, the whole caboodle?
    I didn't say they didn't. They they are strategising to take advantage of a perceived opportunity doesn't mean they don't also think it is best
  • Options
    Gove is basically saying I am change, May is continuity.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,237
    eek said:

eek said:

(*) In a small way.

Bah. You beat me.
    Don't worry it sort of trumps most people who care about such things.... I keep it quiet as its literally the only bit of C code I've written since 1994....
    Mind you, if you've got a DAB digital radio, it might well have some of my code in it. And a fair few other consumer devices as well.

So if it crashes, you know who to blame. ;)

Oh, and it might have one of Mrs J's chips in as well.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Is he still warbling on. I couldn't continue watching because I was getting grossed out by the contortions of his mouth.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    He fluffed his lines on the big NHS commitment there.

• Options
    Gove just said he will honour the pledge of spending a extra £100m a week on the NHS from out EU subs
  • Options

Gove just said he will honour the pledge of spending a extra £100m a week on the NHS from out EU subs

What rot.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    rcs1000 said:

Mortimer said:

In fact @rcs1000, the demographics, Scottish/Welsh problems and their split metro/wc base are really working against Labour at the moment. I don't see how they muster even a coalition forming total without the Midlands.

They have to pivot away from metropolitanism to survive.

Without Scotland, losing their metropolitan heartlands in the South is equally fatal. They can either have 150 Northern seats, or 100 metropolitan and Southern.
    Labour should decide whether they would prefer UKIP or Lib Dems to replace them in the losing battleground then. If they go for the northern route, the south progressive vote will be hoovered up by LDs, if they stick as they are it will be UKIP who prosper as the voice of the WWC. I think they would probably prefer to see more lib dems in parliament than UKIP at the end of the day.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?

PM Tim Farron?
  • Options
    Gove filibusters himself !!

Talks until the first round of voting ...
  • Options

What's Osborne up to. Seems he has just announced we will not hit the deficit targets now. Just as Gove speaks?

The referendum campaign has shown us that the deficit reduction targets put in place by the Tories were totally artificial. May has already dropped them. Again, this would be a gift for a credible opposition. The open goals are lining up for Labour but there is no-one to take the shots. Corbyn will just trip up on his shoelaces, while waving to a friendly anti-Semite in the crowd.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    tyson said:

JackW said:

Is he still warbling on. I couldn't continue watching because I was getting grossed out by the contortions of his mouth.
    Yep, he is going through each page of the last Tory manifesto and outlining how he would have done it differently. We are now on NHS. Extra money will be given, despite the fact that Brexit has wrecked our economy at least in short term.

What a dreamer.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What rot.
    And he ballsed it up, originally said £100 m per year
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yippee, A way to get a ban so I can get some work done without actively insulting someone.....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RodCrosby said:

He has a very well developed policy platform, for someone who only decided to stand 72 hours ago.
    It's a whole manifesto! Too much for this speech.
  • Options
    Gove -

Media hacks suffering from bed sores ....
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    This speech has been long enough for an entire parody account to be created:

https://twitter.com/Gove2116
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

This is McDonnell wresting power from Corbyn. Plenty of Northern Labour MPs may well support him now if he goes for the leadership I reckon. Though he might play a longer game. He's got alot of low cunning.

This is amazing stuff, McDonnell is dangerous. He looks and sounds like a retired senior Met copper.
    McDonnell is dangerous????- to be frank he is a paradigm of sense and stability after the Brexit loons.
    The extremity and consequences of Brexit means that the right will no longer be able to scaremonger about the dangers of the left.
    I'm surprised you'd support a candidate who has just come out with a straight up Farage policy (No free movement) but we're into a "fast moving political enviroment" :)
    As an internationalist I cannot support an anti immigration eurosceptic under any circumstances.
    It divides the Left. Ken Livingstone became a Europhile some time after the 1975 referendum.

The majority of Corbyn's youthful supporters are also appalled by the result.

McD's statement seems to continue from where his wing of Labour left off in the 1975 referendum: No to the EEC, import controls, (continued) exchange controls, of course more nationalisation ... a regulated (siege?) economy, probably closer to that of the USSR than the USA.

As far as I recall, free movement of labour was linked with capitalism. A woman called Mrs T had recently become Tory leader against the odds and wholeheartedly supported free movement and ever closer union.

So at least he's consistent over time!
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?

PM Tim Farron?
    Gove, Corbyn, and Farron- our country is safe.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?

Only when I'm on acid.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Gove -

Media hacks suffering from bed sores ....

very good Jack
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Patrick said:

I guess people can be leant upon to drop out with the prospect of a sufficient carrot dangled in front of them... As long as Fox drops out on the first ballot without any offer, of course.

I will be somewhat miffed if I don't get to see hustings and make an informed choice, but to be frank, the country needs a PM rather more.
  • Options

Michael Gove has just launched a twitter account. If that isn't a sign that he's in it for the long haul, I don't know what is.

I assume you meant to have this written in blue?
  • Options
    Gove on the way back up on BF, as the speech sinks like a stone.

Now saying he's not running because of calculation. WTF?
  • Options
    tyson said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?

PM Tim Farron?
    Gove, Corbyn, and Farron- our country is safe.
    Safe from sanity.

I wish Norman Lamb had won the LD leadership election. I might have been able to vote for him.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @JackW

'Will Gove never stop .... even the paint behind him has dried out !!'

Why are you bothering to watch it ?

• Options
    Is he still warbling on?
  • Options
    ((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 24s24 seconds ago
    Is it me, or is launching your latest campaign with an admission you lied your arse off in your last campaign, not the best strategy.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?

PM Tim Farron?
    Not even I'm that optimistic, but yes it does help us to 'Win here'.

Lib Dem Gain Hornsey Wood Green, hold Hallam - perhaps even gain Richmond Park....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    Finished, finally!

edit: nope, question time now..l
  • Options
    Standing ovation for Gove .... from the night cleaners wanting to finish before 7:00am
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

There is no point in being a creative thinker if you are not able to do anything with the thinking. For McDonnell to have any chance of turning thoughts into policies - or even just to influence the debate on Brexit from the opposition benches - Labour needs a new leader. Could members find it in themselves to vote for another candidate if McDonnell was part of the package? In other words, do as Tyson says: find a leader that can speak to middle Britain (England) as well as the Labour heartlands, with McDonnell guaranteed the shadow chancellor slot in any new cabinet? Someone like Dan Jarvis gets Labour a hearing in places where labour will not be heard right now. That is an opportunity for McDonnell, as well as other left wingers. What labour needs more than anything else is a shadow cabinet in which its best operators are all contributing. I will concede you McDonnell, but I would also posit that it should include the likes of Umana, Reeves, Cooper, Smith, Leslie, and so on. The Tories need to be facing a credible opposition - for the good of the country, if nothing else. Corbyn just cannot deliver that.

Hmm. You're tempting me!
  • Options
    Osborne attempts to sink Gove even as he speaks.
  • Options

((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 24s24 seconds ago
    Is it me, or is launching your latest campaign with an admission you lied your arse off in your last campaign, not the best strategy.

Like a stopped clock, Dan is dead right here.
  • Options

JackW said:

Yes. Homes for All now.
    What about Owls for all?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Standing ovation for Gove .... from the night cleaners wanting to finish before 7:00am

:lol:
  • Options
    The NHS spends £115bn/year. £100m/week is £5.2bn over four years. So, really, he's promising 1.2% annual rises to the NHS budget. Which might very well be less than inflation.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,868

That wasn't what they wrote on the bus.....
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Czech republic
    "Czech President Milos Zeman has called for the Czech Republic to hold a referendum on its membership of the European Union and NATO following Britain's shock vote to leave the EU, though he said he backed his country staying in both organisations.

Zeman has no power to call a referendum, which would require a constitutional amendment. But he is an influential leader in a country where many voters are sceptical about the EU"

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-czech-president-idUKKCN0ZH4AV
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Gove as ever a true radical but he needed Boris as avuncular frontman to work. Too late now
  • Options
    Journos straight into why are you are treacherous Ba*****
  • Options
    Good point

@SamFawcett92: Tory candidates tacking left to win support of a largely centrist electorate. How many getting abuse and death threats from members? None
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016
    He's not going to get a hearing for this speech.

Journalist already going in for the "but the bus said £350m a week" question.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@JackW

'Will Gove never stop .... even the paint behind him has dried out !!'

Why are you bothering to watch it ?

What's not to like about paint drying compared to a 356 part Gove speech?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. Rex, thanks for that historical tidbit.

Huzzah for Gove rambling on and driving everyone to sleep. Hopefully this will ensure his MP support drains away rapidly.
  • Options

Czech republic
    "Czech President Milos Zeman has called for the Czech Republic to hold a referendum on its membership of the European Union and NATO following Britain's shock vote to leave the EU, though he said he backed his country staying in both organisations.

Zeman has no power to call a referendum, which would require a constitutional amendment. But he is an influential leader in a country where many voters are sceptical about the EU"

Leave NATO? How self-defeating is that, if you live non too far from the Russian bear? Bonkers.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Sandpit said:

RodCrosby said:

To be fair, if you are a thinker and have been in politics as long as he has, you would expect to have views on most major policy issues, so creating a platform would not take long.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

Gove vs Corbyn.

Can anyone imagine it ?

PM Tim Farron?
    Not even I'm that optimistic, but yes it does help us to 'Win here'.

Lib Dem Gain Hornsey Wood Green, hold Hallam - perhaps even gain Richmond Park....
    Richmond was one of the most Remain parts of the country, and Zac is a noted Eurosceptic. The locals in 2018 there will be very interesting, but I could see the LDs regaining Twickenham (without Cable) and Richmond. I don't think they'll take Kingston back, mind.
  • Options

Gove on the way back up on BF, as the speech sinks like a stone.

Now saying he's not running because of calculation. WTF?

Err he's not out to 1000 on Betfair yet ?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    Pong said:

He fluffed his lines on the big NHS commitment there.

Still saying he’ll make £100m available to the NHS each week after we leave. And cut VAT on fuel.
  • Options

Czech republic

The Slovakians have offered to help our *velvet revolution*. I thought that was pretty indicative of their sentiments too.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

Durrr

How was the question phrased?

"Do you think the Leave campaign's claim that they would spend £350M a week extra on the NHS was misleading"?

Would have got about 99%
  • Options
    Gove is surely not seriously campaigning for the leadership. He just wants to make sure he gets a big office of state when May takes over. Chancellor will be very tricky for him given the promises that he has previously made about extra public spending and no tax increases.

The £100 million more a week on the NHS by 2020 is, of course, very different to £350 million extra a week. I imagine that we are already projected to spend something like £100 million more on the NHS than we are now. "Extra" would be on top of that.
  • Options
    Norm said:

Gove as ever a true radical but he needed Boris as avuncular frontman to work. Too late now

Yes, one does wonder whether Osborne talked Gove into this in order simply to scupper a Boris/Gove double ticket.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    Apparently there are two pages of speech to go!
This discussion has been closed.