Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Might Balls be Labour’s answer at 100/1?

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,772

I think we're in territory where we need to get on with a true realignment. Any would-be Labour leader should be considering whether they'd be better off founding a new party or defecting.

Nobody trusts a defector anymore, and no one will want to take risk of founding a new party.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited June 2016
    alex. said:

Scott_P said:

@iainjwatson: 1/2 I'm told by well placed source that #Labour party has legal advice that Jeremy Corbyn would NOT automatically be on leadership ballot

@iainjwatson: 2/2 but that Labour's NEC could over rule this and ensure he is on the ballot but might be open to messy legal challenge

If Labout MPs don't put Corbyn forward for election they will be deselected by their local party.
    Why is everyone so certain that Corbyn has the support of the local parties? Even the selectorate who would have been heavily EU? Talk of at least a couple of motions of no confidence passed already.
    Because everyone outside the PLP hates the PLP.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,951
    Is Balls up for fixing this balls up? Kept us out of the Euro, so has credentials. But has a nice life

It would be hugely refreshing.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2016

We need the Boundary Commission to finalise the new constituencies.
    Should focus MPs minds, especially REMAIN MPs who are at odds with their LEAVE activists.
    Expect plenty of threat of de-selection if MPs don't go along with BREXIT.

Due to see first draft in"autumn" 2016.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited June 2016

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

This is knackering. You try to escape and this monumental clusterfuck sucks you back in.

I'm still not getting any fucking work done.

Aaaaaargh

Somebody asked me pre-thread what might induce buyer's remorse, in me (Bremorse is the technical term). If this howling chaos continues that might do it, simply because I need to concentrate, and earn some bloody cash.
    You'll need that cash pal to offset your negative equity.

Lower house prices are good for those seeking to buy a house and those seeking to buy a more expensive house.

Higher house prices only benefit those exiting the housing market or downsizing.

Note also a lower pound is good for UK exports, especially when we have such a need to increase exports and close the big trade gap.
    Depends how many of their raw materials they have to import to build their exported products.

Affordability of housing as dependent on mortgage rates as actual prices. And anyway if the housing market is sustained by foreign buyers isn't there a chance that they will continue to rise with a falling pound. With quantitative easing as well.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,358
    SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

I can maybe understand Cameron keeping a low profile, for a couple of days, he must be in shock. But the Chancellor of the Exchequer should be on the TV 24/7, reassuring the markets, offering alternatives, yet zip.

Dereliction of duty.

Perhaps he doesn't have anything to reassure them with.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Im wondering if all this will do real and lasting damage to facebook in the UK

I don't know about that but Miss Plato pointed us to a jolly good article the other day the essence of which was Facebook and Twitter are enabling their users to live in silo's or echo chambers in which they never get to hear a contrary opinion and this is ruining political discourse.

Unfortunately I did not make a note of its address, but Miss P might have it. Well worth a read.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Wont it be a hoot if Podemos win the Spanish Election, they look like a Hybrid of UKIP and Dave Spart.

EU has far more to lose from Brexit than we do

We forgot that there are elections in Spain today.
    We also forgot that Greece was patched up to keep tbem just going long enough so as not to give a boost to the Brexit referendum.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

I can maybe understand Cameron keeping a low profile, for a couple of days, he must be in shock. But the Chancellor of the Exchequer should be on the TV 24/7, reassuring the markets, offering alternatives, yet zip.

Dereliction of duty.

The Chanellor's new clothes.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    alex. said:

SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

Dereliction of duty.

To be fair I'm not sure he's really the man for publicly reassuring the markets given what he said before the referendum.
    Everyone one knew he was lying.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,590
    kle4 said:

I think we're in territory where we need to get on with a true realignment. Any would-be Labour leader should be considering whether they'd be better off founding a new party or defecting.

Nobody trusts a defector anymore, and no one will want to take risk of founding a new party.
    Founding a new party is a risk, but when the two parties of government are in disarray simultaneously there will never be a better time, otherwise the chances of the Lib Dems coming through the middle shouldn't be written off.

Brexit could be the new Black Wednesday in destroying the reputation of the Tories to deliver competent, stable government.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @juliamacfarlane: European Union will not make Britain any fresh offers to keep it in the bloc, German Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel says - Reuters
  • Options

I'll just leave this here. Someone telling Mike to stop tweeting about betting on politics

https://twitter.com/TomJamesScott/status/747052029974036480

He is right you know, the betting markets are a terrible predictor.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,724

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

This is knackering. You try to escape and this monumental clusterfuck sucks you back in.

Aaaaaargh

Somebody asked me pre-thread what might induce buyer's remorse, in me (Bremorse is the technical term). If this howling chaos continues that might do it, simply because I need to concentrate, and earn some bloody cash.

Lower house prices are good for those seeking to buy a house and those seeking to buy a more expensive house. The majority.

Higher house prices only benefit those exiting the housing market or downsizing.

Note also a lower pound is good for UK exports, especially when we have such a need to increase exports and close the big trade gap.
    Lower house prices is one of the few potential silver linings, but only if everything else doesn't collapse as well.

A lower £ is only good news if it doesn't lead to an inflation-interest rates spiral.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    Mr. T, he may be actually doing some exit planning [which should've been done weeks and months ago].

I'm also not getting much work done (in a sea of redrafting, currently).

Mr. Glenn, a major political realignment could happen.

If the likes of Yorkshire First et al. were further down the road, an alliance of such parties with the SNP against the referendum result might actually have a credible chance of forming a loose coalition government. But the English local parties aren't in a state to pounce on this opportunity, if there's a snap election.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2016

Wont it be a hoot if Podemos win the Spanish Election, they look like a Hybrid of UKIP and Dave Spart.

You can see it in Merkel's climb-down. Despite our tepid involvement we were a counterbalance to the mediterranean states. Everyone in Europe will now be questioning whether the new powerbalance is in any of their interest.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

Dereliction of duty.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13510793_1038811039549315_8030535941654667943_n.jpg?oh=16de48ff850836dde93a62439e562c2f&oe=57F259EE
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Justine Greening: The country can’t wait until October. Johnson and May should reach an agreement – and take over now.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/06/justine-greening-the-country-cant-wait-until-october-johnson-and-may-should-reach-an-agreement-and-take-over-now.html

Interesting. Boris leader and May chancellor in a joint coronation?
    No. All Remain supporting MPs must be decimated. Those that survive will be permitted to sit quietly, and obey their Leave overlords.
    Theresa May is about as Remain supporting as Jeremy Corbyn
    The referendum was a binary choice. They were either 100% Remain or 100% Leave.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@juliamacfarlane: European Union will not make Britain any fresh offers to keep it in the bloc, German Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel says - Reuters

That sounds like a confirmation that fresh offers are on the table.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Survation Poll:

Boris v Theresa

All voters: 50-50
    Current Tory: 50-50
    2015 Tory 47-53 (Theresa)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

Dereliction of duty.

Too right. The fact the government and leading Leavers have all naffed off is shameful. They should have been doing reassurance 24/7. The fact Blair is the most statesmanlike is telling.

Fwiw I give Dave a bye, but not the rest.
  • Options
    Reason Labour will not back a second referendum or rejoining the EU, no.1
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,377
    MP_SE said:

Pulpstar said:

My Facebook has become more political than this website now !

Had someone on WhatsApp claim a points based immigration system is racist so will look to move to either Australia or Canada...
    There are some real idiots out and about.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

Dereliction of duty.

Perhaps he doesn't have anything to reassure them with.
    Perhaps they wouldn't find him reassuring even if he did after the last three months of bullshit and talking the country down.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

I'll just leave this here. Someone telling Mike to stop tweeting about betting on politics

https://twitter.com/TomJamesScott/status/747052029974036480

He is right you know, the betting markets are a terrible predictor.
    But not useless for making money.
  • Options
    alex. said:

SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

Dereliction of duty.

To be fair I'm not sure he's really the man for publicly reassuring the markets given what he said before the referendum.
    He has a role to play, and he's not doing it.

It think it was poor form for Lord Hill to resign too.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    chestnut said:

Survation Poll:

Boris v Theresa

Christ, another element of uncertainty.......
  • Options
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Aaaaaargh

Lower house prices are good for those seeking to buy a house and those seeking to buy a more expensive house.

Very difficult to predict where the London property market might go.

I expect an initial hit - 10%?

But that only winds back the gains of the last year.

After that there will be conflicting trends, a cheaper pound makes property more attractive to foreigners. But if the City collapses there will be rats gnawing lepers on Lombard Street.

One thing is certain, I reckon, and that is that we will stay in the single market, or as close to it as possible. This will piss off a lot of LEAVE voters, as we will still have Freedom of Movement.

London has had its wings clipped, quite deliberately.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,675
    chestnut said:

Survation Poll:

Boris v Theresa

If I was May, Id be absolutely delighted with those figures.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,677

Speedy said:

We forgot that there are elections in Spain today.
    We also forgot that Greece was patched up to keep tbem just going long enough so as not to give a boost to the Brexit referendum.
    Come July 2016 and Owen Jones will once again switch back to being a supporter of Brexit.

Copy for his new book "The Establishment - and how I came to join it" will be torn up.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,053
    Speedy said:

alex. said:

Scott_P said:

@iainjwatson: 1/2 I'm told by well placed source that #Labour party has legal advice that Jeremy Corbyn would NOT automatically be on leadership ballot

@iainjwatson: 2/2 but that Labour's NEC could over rule this and ensure he is on the ballot but might be open to messy legal challenge

If Labout MPs don't put Corbyn forward for election they will be deselected by their local party.
    Why is everyone so certain that Corbyn has the support of the local parties? Even the selectorate who would have been heavily EU? Talk of at least a couple of motions of no confidence passed already.
    Because everyone outside the PLP hates the PLP.
    Not true Speedy. Most Labour MP's like Tory MP's, have very good relation's with their local associations. After all they were selected by them. That connection that MP's have with their local parties, and constituents is a nice part of UK politics.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

Dereliction of duty.

Osborne is being hunted down by the city boys for helping deliver Brexit, his budgets were so wonderful he became the most unpopular man in the country surpassing Cameron.

Within the last 4 months he blew up 2 budgets remember?
    His Brexit Budget was so wonderful they still want to hang him from the Shard.
  • Options

Teeing up for England v France - fun in the current atmosphere.

Surely you mean Iceland v France
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Pleased that my London prediction worked out fairly well despite Hounslow and Newham not behaving as expected. It forecast that London would vote 65.7% Remain if England was 50/50 and the result was London 59.9% and England 46.6%.
  • Options
    Mr. Dave, agree entirely on Hill. Whilst we're still subject to EU regulation and paying billions a year, our commissioner resigning is premature.

Mr. Jonathan, Boris playing cricket was bloody foolish.

May's kept her powder dry throughout, but if she's actually going to say something she needs to pipe up now, or toddle off and dwell forever in a hermitage.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Survation Poll:

Boris v Theresa

?
    So we can conclude from this that members are actually 53-47 Boris
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016
    Isnt this all the most tremenous fun
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

I can maybe understand Cameron keeping a low profile, for a couple of days, he must be in shock. But the Chancellor of the Exchequer should be on the TV 24/7, reassuring the markets, offering alternatives, yet zip. Dereliction of duty.

Isn't he working on the emergency budget that was promised is we voted Leave?
  • Options

Justine Greening: The country can’t wait until October. Johnson and May should reach an agreement – and take over now.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/06/justine-greening-the-country-cant-wait-until-october-johnson-and-may-should-reach-an-agreement-and-take-over-now.html

No. All Remain supporting MPs must be decimated. Those that survive will be permitted to sit quietly, and obey their Leave overlords.
    Decimated i.e. 10% cut, is too small a cut.
    :naughty:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

They stopped for tea...

@PolhomeEditor: More Shadow Cabinet resignations coming after 4pm.

Labour showing some welcome decorum.
  • Options

10% is the limit. Rules are rules.
  • Options
    A friend has texted me to reveal breaking news that George Osborne has agreed to join Corbyns shadow cabinet.
  • Options
    alex. said:

SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

Dereliction of duty.

True. How many would believe a word he has to say? 2%!
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,053

Scott_P said:

They stopped for tea...

Probably to watch the footie

• Options

10% cut off each of them, basically their heads.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

One thing is certain, I reckon, and that is that we will stay in the single market, or as close to it as possible. This will piss off a lot of LEAVE voters, as we will still have Freedom of Movement.

Somehow 120ish countries of the would do business with us without being in the single market, some of them are rather more prosperous than we are. If we stay with freedom of movement without at least substantial caveats there will be 30 UKIP seats in the next parliament and if they are lucky a Tory minority government.

• Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Aaaaaargh

Very difficult to predict where the London property market might go.

I expect an initial hit - 10%?

But that only winds back the gains of the last year.

After that there will be conflicting trends, a cheaper pound makes property more attractive to foreigners. But if the City collapses there will be rats gnawing lepers on Lombard Street.

Only the top end might collapse that much, lower down there's just no supply and likely that the supply we have starts to decline, keeping prices where they are.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

Dereliction of duty.

Osborne is being hunted down by the city boys for helping deliver Brexit, his budgets were so wonderful he became the most unpopular man in the country surpassing Cameron.
    Within the last 4 months he blew up 2 budgets remember?
    His Brexit Budget was so wonderful they still want to hang him from the Shard.
    HMQ will pardon him for getting her country back.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Scott_P said:

They stopped for tea...

Probably to watch the footie

Corbyn a known Republic of Ireland supporter.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Corbyn can simply point to that chart and say to his enemies "look who's talking".
  • Options
    @Torcuil: Am told Vernon Coaker to go from Shadow Cabinet, and two Eagle sisters.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

I would be very surprised if the new candidate were not a woman.

Do you know something about Ed's future lack of Balls? What fun! :) It'd certainly be on trend.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    IanB2 said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Aaaaaargh

Lower house prices are good for those seeking to buy a house and those seeking to buy a more expensive house. The majority.

Lower house prices is one of the few potential silver linings, but only if everything else doesn't collapse as well.

A lower £ is only good news if it doesn't lead to an inflation-interest rates spiral.
    Lets face it, the temptation at the moment is for Leavers to paint a rosy picture and Remainers to just look for signs of impending doom.

It's hard to find a balanced view anywhere. Our great advantage is having our own currency. Given our current account deficit, a devaluation would do us some good (or rather, the good would outweigh the bad).

Other than that, I just don't know what's going to happen in practice, and I doubt anyone else does.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,065
    IanB2 said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Aaaaaargh

The Tories need pensioners and home owners onside if they are going to have a chance of a majority. They will do all they can to keep house prices as high as possible. The best way to do that is to have fewer builds. That's one of the reasons why house builders saw their shares fall by so much in early trading on Friday.

• Options
    @EdConwaySky: Leave now saying govt needs to come up with the Brexit plan, not them
    Hang on. Wasn’t the point to take control BACK from the establishment?

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,447
    malcolmg said:

From an email yesterday (I'm sure everyone has heard it but just in case)

It's England v Iceland on Monday. One is a small country with shite weather and a self-inflicted financial crisis

But they should beat Iceland...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I don't see it.

Either the principle of free movement in the single market is watered down or we're out.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Torcuil: Am told Vernon Coaker to go from Shadow Cabinet, and two Eagle sisters.

Blimey, who's left?

I can't imagine Falconer or Bryant will stick around. What about Winterton? And there's still time for Burnham to change his mind a few times again...

Could end up with Jeremy, Diane and Emily Thornberry. Lol.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

:lol:
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,014
    SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

Dereliction of duty.

Last reported ringing around MPs yesterday to back his leadership bid !

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,447

SeanT said:

I don't see it.

Either the principle of free movement in the single market is watered down or we're out.
    Free movement is fine. The problem is Free Movement of people in the rest of the EU means freedom to find a job. In Britain it means freedom to find a part time job which the Government then tops up to make worthwhile...

We then expected the EU to change their terms to solve our problem for us....
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Aaaaaargh

High house prices certainly do help people downsizing - the relative differnece between ones current selling price and what one has to pay for the new, smaller, home does really change much.

The idea that a lower pound is good for exporters is one that I have been reading about for most of my life but it seldom seems to work in practice, well not for the UK anyway. What seems to happen is that the executive class keep prices as they are and pocket the difference rather than taking the opportunity to build market share or open up new markets. The curse of short-termism amongst British executives goes back a long way, but no party (and certainly not the Conservatives) has ever had the guts to address it.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Survation Poll:

Boris v Theresa

During the referendum Boris Johnson showed leadership.

Theresa May hid in the shadows.

If the Conservatives want leadership then the members should vote for Boris.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,411
    AndyJS said:

Pleased that my London prediction worked out fairly well despite Hounslow and Newham not behaving as expected. It forecast that London would vote 65.7% Remain if England was 50/50 and the result was London 59.9% and England 46.6%.

As I'm sure many people have told you, congratulations on your spreadsheet: one of the few good things to come out of this sorry affair. Are you doing a similar one for POTUS2016?

(Incidentally do you have a link for your spreadsheet? I've lost mine)
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

It's England v Iceland on Monday. One is a small country with shite weather and a self-inflicted financial crisis

Indeed but they do have a history for not meeting expectations. If they did get beat they would be better to claim political asylum than come back in current conditions.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Scott_P said:

Blimey, who's left?

I can't imagine Falconer or Bryant will stick around. What about Winterton? And there's still time for Burnham to change his mind a few times again...

And McDonnell. It's interesting to speculate whether everyone who hasn't made a public statement (+Burnham) might still be on the table to go.

Have there been many resignations amongst the second tier shadow ministerial teams? And does Corbyn not need to get a move on with his reshuffle - or is he going to conduct all Parliamentary business in person?

• Options
    @PCollinsTimes: Headline idea for you, sub-editors. Johnson and Gove absent without Leave.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,946
    SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

Dereliction of duty.

What does Osborne day? "Nobody believed me. Turns out I wasn't fearsome enough"
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Aaaaaargh

The Tories need pensioners and home owners onside if they are going to have a chance of a majority. They will do all they can to keep house prices as high as possible. The best way to do that is to have fewer builds. That's one of the reasons why house builders saw their shares fall by so much in early trading on Friday.

Most pensioners are mortgage free, surely? I'm much more concerned about lower house prices for my kids. If we don't get behind lower house prices, then some of the rancour is justified - it's just boomers being selfish c*nts.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,124
    Scott_P said:

@EdConwaySky: Leave now saying govt needs to come up with the Brexit plan, not them
    Hang on. Wasn’t the point to take control BACK from the establishment?

Kind of missing the point that Cameron hasn't given up anything yet. Unless you are suggesting an armed coup and take over of Government I am afraid both you and Ed will have to wait until Cameron decides to surrender the reins of power.
  • Options
    Mr. P, Conway's being a moron, in that instance.

Control from the EU to the UK. The UK, (although understandable to forget that these days), does have a government, the responsibility of whom it is to govern.
  • Options
    By the way has Cameron told the Civil Service they are now allowed to talk to the Leave side?
  • Options
    firstlight40firstlight40 Posts: 69
    edited June 2016
    So my question is - what is Grayling doing? Within the leave team but not very prominent. A current cabinet member and former lord chancellor and leader of the house (if I remember right). Not seen his name mentioned recently. A value bet as an outsider?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,724
    edited June 2016

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,014

SeanT said:

I don't see it.

Free movement isnt the problem, its instant benefits when you arrive. You just dont get that in other European social security systems. That means it much easier to get going in the UK than elsewhere as a lot of the risk is taken out of it.
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

Crisis - what crisis?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Entirely expected.
    How come Falconer hasn't gone yet.
  • Options
    John_M said:

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Aaaaaargh

Most pensioners are mortgage free, surely? I'm much more concerned about lower house prices for my kids. If we don't get behind lower house prices, then some of the rancour is justified - it's just boomers being selfish c*nts.
    The majority of boomers are not rich , the London ones may have made plenty on houses etc, nothing similar elsewhere.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

Dereliction of duty.

Even if he's up to his eyeballs in his day job - it's PR 101 to at least make a reassuring statement and say when you'll be back with updates.

Both Dave and George aren't even bothering with the basics anymore in terms of the public.

Hammond was disgraceful earlier - still trying to scare Gib residents.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2016
    Just in case anyone missed the news on that spoof petition.
    http://heatst.com/uk/exclusive-brexit-2nd-referendum-petition-a-4-chan-prank-bbc-report-it-as-real/
    "By Sunday afternoon in the UK, the national broadcaster deigned to report that Parliament was investigating the petition for fraud."
  • Options
    chrisoxonchrisoxon Posts: 204

By the way has Cameron told the Civil Service they are now allowed to talk to the Leave side?

There are no grounds for this. Vote Leave are not a potential administration like opposition parties are in a General Election. Vote Leave Ltd will have been wound up by the close of the year.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited June 2016
    In (15)

Corbyn
    Watson
    McDonnell
    Burnham
    Winterton*
    Smith O
    Thornberry
    Trickett
    Nandy
    Abbott
    Griffith
    Green
    Berger*
    Baronness Smith
    Lord Bassam

*Rumoured to be considering their positions

Wobbling (5)

Eagle A
    Lord Falconer
    Bryant
    Coaker
    Eagle M

Gone (8)

Malhotra
    Benn
    Alexander
    Powell
    Greenwood
    McCarthy
    Murray
    De Piero

Those in the middle would make quite a difference.
  • Options
    eek said:

SeanT said:

I don't see it.

Free movement is fine. The problem is Free Movement of people in the rest of the EU means freedom to find a job. In Britain it means freedom to find a part time job which the Government then tops up to make worthwhile...

We then expected the EU to change their terms to solve our problem for us....
    I suspect what a lot of people don't like about Freedom of Movement isn't really freedom of movement at all, its Article 8, and our inability therefrom to throw out phony asylum seekers and criminals of various hues. The incredulous public looking on as the government took years and millions of pounds to get Abu Hamza out the country did incalculable damage to the public opinion of free movement. Unfortunately we need to be out of the EU now to be able to ignore the EHCR.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

Indeed but they do have a history for not meeting expectations. If they did get beat they would be better to claim political asylum than come back in current conditions.
    I sense your dread.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Scott_P said:

Blimey, who's left?

And McDonnell. It's interesting to speculate whether everyone who hasn't made a public statement (+Burnham) might still be on the table to go.

Have there been many resignations amongst the second tier shadow ministerial teams? And does Corbyn not need to get a move on with his reshuffle - or is he going to conduct all Parliamentary business in person?

I suspect he can't do a reshuffle because at this moment in time it's not clear who is willing to serve...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Even if he's up to his eyeballs in his day job - it's PR 101 to at least make a reassuring statement

He did that on Friday
  • Options
    chrisoxon said:

There are no grounds for this. Vote Leave are not a potential administration like opposition parties are in a General Election. Vote Leave Ltd will have been wound up by the close of the year.
    Some of Vote Leave side are still ministers and if you remember Cameron forbade the Civil Service to give them any assistance at all as far as far as Brexit was concerned.
  • Options

http://heatst.com/uk/exclusive-brexit-2nd-referendum-petition-a-4-chan-prank-bbc-report-it-as-real/
    "By Sunday afternoon in the UK, the national broadcaster deigned to report that Parliament was investigating the petition for fraud."

Well with 4000+ signatures from the Vatican what can you expect.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, what did Hammond say about Gibraltar?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    PlatoSaid said:

SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

Dereliction of duty.

Even if he's up to his eyeballs in his day job - it's PR 101 to at least make a reassuring statement and say when you'll be back with updates.

Both Dave and George aren't even bothering with the basics anymore in terms of the public.

Hammond was disgraceful earlier - still trying to scare Gib residents.

Why would Hammond want to scare Gib residents? where is the political mileage in so doing?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Entirely expected.
    How come Falconer hasn't gone yet.
    Hanging on to resign if Corbyn says something nasty about Blair when the Chilcot report comes out?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,358

So my question is - what is Grayling doing? Within the leave team but not very prominent. A current cabinet member and former lord chancellor and leader of the house (if I remember right). Not seen his name mentioned recently. A value bet as an outsider?

Grayling's reputation took a battering when Gove took over MoJ and undid everything Grayling had previously implemented, to absolutely no one's displeasure.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,136
    Just got back from the pub. Corbyn still hanging on? :D
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

alex. said:

SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

Dereliction of duty.

True. How many would believe a word he has to say? 2%!
    Normally I dislike watching those wildlife films which show the vultures on the carcass - but at least they have the decency to wait until it is a carcass. You won, have been congratulated, yet keep on fighting - it's almost as if you've got no next stage to move on to....oh wait.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Well with 4000+ signatures from the Vatican what can you expect.
    Not to mention 28,000 from North Korea and six from Boston, lincs.
  • Options
    @DSORennie: Here we go. @FraserNelson latest Brexiteer to blame post-vote instability on Remain sabotage. This will be the line https://t.co/IoboewJqdb
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,941
    SeanT said:

Where the F is Osborne?

Dereliction of duty.

Sean, I think you are being a bit unrealistic to expect any of the remainers who have suffered the dog's abuse from Brexiters over recent weeks to lift a finger to help them out.

What the country actually needs is Johnson, Gove, Farage etc to be out there trying to reassure people that they have made the right choice - for better or worse that is the future. Unfortunately they haven't a Scooby Doo about what to do next. Don't expect Osborn to save their bacon, it's Brexit's show now
  • Options
    chrisoxonchrisoxon Posts: 204

SeanT said:

I don't see it.

Free movement isnt the problem, its instant benefits when you arrive. You just dont get that in other European social security systems. That means it much easier to get going in the UK than elsewhere as a lot of the risk is taken out of it.
    You are making the same mistake as the PM, and deciding that the only reason people are concerned about immigration is because of our benefit system. Not a single person I spoke to during the referendum mentioned benefits once in the context of immigration, they were concerned about ongoing pressure on public services, or the fact that we cannot have controls to determine the qualifications of those moving here. Oh, and most of them didn't mention immigration as their number one concern!

It's also worth remembering that the proposed benefit curbs would have done nothing, our minimum wage is the pull factor, not our benefit system.
This discussion has been closed.