Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final polling chart

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,027
    Mr. M, a lecturer at my university (about a decade ago) summarised 'post-modern' as being 'up its own arse'.
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    IanB2 said:

You can have a constituency link with PR, either via multi-member constituencies Irish-style or with the constituency plus top-up system recommended by Jenkins and similar to that used in Scotland and for the GLA

The problem with any list system is that it's damn-near impossible to vote out somebody at the top of the list, and absolutely impossible to elect somebody further down the list without electing everyone else above them.

Say UKIP is standing in my multi-member constituency. Nigel Farage is top of the list. Douglas Carswell is second. I want to vote Carswell as my MP because I quite like him as an individual but I can't stand Farage, or UKIP generally.

Well, I can't have Carswell without Farage, and by voting UKIP hoping for Carswell, I increase the probability of getting only Farage, which would be worse than no UKIP at all.

Does this break the 'Constituency link' as we know it? Definitely. Everything is reduced to a vote 'for a party', and to hell with all the subtle nuances that make British politics so fascinating.

I'm ideologically in favour of PR - but there is no established system that achieves it without losing much of what is good about FPTP. (Obviously I have a perfect system in my own mind...)
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

But, most of all, all your complaints, even if they were justified, are completely orthogonal to the issue on the ballot paper today. Quite apart from anything else, the principal economic argument, such as it is, of the Leave campaign is for increased globalisation, opening up our markets to increased competition, reducing tariffs, and trading more with countries such as China, Brazil and USA. If that were to come about and actually work (I'm sceptical, but let's assume the best), how on earth is that supposed to help the little man rather than big business, in a way which membership of the EU - with all its regulations and social protections - doesn't?

Free trade doesn't require free movement of people. The working classes have struggled under globalisation, understandably. Letting the rest of the globe then come in and undercut them on the unoutsourceable jobs (building extensions, driving taxis, cleaning and hairdressing) is taking the piss out of them a bit, don't you think?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    rcs1000 said:

My favourite Peter Mandelson story is the time he was taken to view his prospective constituency 'oop north.' To initiate their man of the people they took our Peter into a chippy. He was delighted to see one of his favourite dishes behind the counter and asked if he could also have 'some of that lovely guacamole.'

That mushy peas tale is still told across County Durham.

It's not true, though.
    It ought to be.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    I think Leave will win. Not sure about my 55-45 in the competition. Probably wrong but it feels like 2015 and 1992.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited June 2016
    Report from the front.
    In genteel Blundellsands, voting was reported as the same as a GE, with more people than in the locals already having voted by 1.30pm. Only noticed one poster, Remain, on a Labour activist's house.
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    Scott_P said:

@JoeMurphyLondon: If he wins, Cameron could postpone the reshuffle until 2017, predicts a well-placed Tory. https://t.co/dsxbTUFO3m

“Delaying it will focus people’s minds. Those MPs elected in 2010 and 2015 will be forced to ask themselves, ‘Do I really want to spend the next four or nine years moping in the Tea Room with Bill Cash and Bernard Jenkin, plotting the next referendum?’ Even those who backed Leave will not wish to waste their careers like that. Cameron could easily put the reshuffle off until 2017.”

Cameron's trouble is not whether Gove, Johnson etc are prepared to sign such a letter - it's the unbiddable backbench nutters that will bring him down. Of the 65 who refused to back the punishment budget, most will be prepared to lodge a letter with the Chairman of the 1922 - if they haven't already.

He'll have to throw something to the wolves - and it'll probably be Osborne.
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    Well I have just voted to Leave the European Union. This felt like the most momentous vote of my life and regardless of the result I am proud, in a very small way, to have contributed to the effort to let the United Kingdom make and live under its own laws. For me this campaign has always been at its heart about democracy; nothing is more important. All other issues run from this democratic foundation. I love Europe, but believe that the European Union on its current trajectory is making the peoples of Europe poorer and less free.

I am under no illusions that a vote to Leave the EU will be the solution to all problems, but it will kick-start a process of democratic renewal here in the UK and, I believe, across Europe. More than this it may demonstrate to those running the European Union that a centralising bureaucracy is not the answer to the challenges of today or tomorrow; where flexibility, speed of action and engagement with the public will be required.

I have not particularly enjoyed the campaign itself. The tone was not one that I would have chosen. Yet this did not and could not diminish my belief that a vote to Leave will provide the UK with a democratic boost. I want an outward looking, innovative, prosperous and fair country, positively influencing the world. I believe that leaving the EU will best help us meet that vision. Many may disagree yet regardless of the result, I will keep pushing for such a country.

To finish some words from Robert Frost:

" I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less travelled by,
    And that has made all the difference."
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488

My favourite Peter Mandelson story is the time he was taken to view his prospective constituency 'oop north.' To initiate their man of the people they took our Peter into a chippy. He was delighted to see one of his favourite dishes behind the counter and asked if he could also have 'some of that lovely guacamole.'

Sorry it's a myth, but it's sooo believable.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-465577/Hagues-baseball-cap-Mandelsons-mushy-peas-True-tales-just-great-political-myths.html
    I suspect a Blairite coverup. The truth'll come out with Chilcot ;-)
  • Options
    Mr. B2, blame Boreas, the Greek god of the north wind (and where we get the Borealis bit of the Aurora).
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

timmo said:

Under the rules of elections, turnout is only allowed to be sluggish. Steady or brisk. No other turnouts are permitted

Could you not have "Stampede"?
    Good lord no, this is not a banana republic!
    My understanding of the regulations is that the term 'trickle' is allowed, if used sparingly.

I stand to be corrected.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    If anyone is interested and has a spare minute (the latter part probably applies to just about everyone posting here!), I have set up a survey via survey monkey. Only 2 questions - who do you want to win, and who do you think will win. All anonymous. Would be interesting to see a summary of what pb.com thinks,this close to the end:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/2VY7XY8

Thanks.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,519
    edited June 2016
    @Charles

Interesting post Charles (the long one).

I think you are tilting at windmills: very noble, brings a tear to the eye, garners "hear hears" from all and sundry, but at the end of the day deeply misplaced.

So leaving the EU is going to be one in the eye for, er, the Westminster Clique? You sound like Owen Jones. Only with less logic. What on earth is leaving the EU going to do to thwart the Westminster clique? If anything it would be concentrating the power in an even smaller elite. You say how MPs are dreadful, disconnected, starstruck, etc, etc and then....you want to give them total power over our lives.

Love it or hate it, if you think that our MPs are the problem, then I would have thought the more power devolved to the EU the better.

Sorry, Charles, it all sounded very noble and noblesse obligey, and well done you for railing against this huge, perceived injustice, but an asinine post nevertheless.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,009

Good afternoon, Mr. Britain. The weather's been rather nice today, although one hopes it will not turn humid as the evening approaches.

Stormy, with strange and shifting interludes. Like the campaign up till now, and not obviously any kind of help to either side.
    Storm is over Haslemere and approaching Guildford. It will reach SW London in about 60 minutes. Bad for Remain. But it will reach East Anglia in about 3 hours. Good for Remain.

http://bit.ly/28T5zwr
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,688
    Reuters: German media reports an armed man has opened fire in a cinema complex in west #Germany
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,196

this mi15 plot. When's the erasure supposed to take place? at the count? If not then how and where.

aww bless. it's quite sweet really.

In the back of the van on way to count of course, simple.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

Sorry it's a myth, but it's sooo believable.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-465577/Hagues-baseball-cap-Mandelsons-mushy-peas-True-tales-just-great-political-myths.html
    I suspect a Blairite coverup. The truth'll come out with Chilcot ;-)
    Okaaay, but by the Daily Mail!!!! ;-)
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    DearPB said:

Scott_P said:

@JoeMurphyLondon: If he wins, Cameron could postpone the reshuffle until 2017, predicts a well-placed Tory. https://t.co/dsxbTUFO3m

“Delaying it will focus people’s minds. Those MPs elected in 2010 and 2015 will be forced to ask themselves, ‘Do I really want to spend the next four or nine years moping in the Tea Room with Bill Cash and Bernard Jenkin, plotting the next referendum?’ Even those who backed Leave will not wish to waste their careers like that. Cameron could easily put the reshuffle off until 2017.”

Cameron's trouble is not whether Gove, Johnson etc are prepared to sign such a letter - it's the unbiddable backbench nutters that will bring him down. Of the 65 who refused to back the punishment budget, most will be prepared to lodge a letter with the Chairman of the 1922 - if they haven't already.

Shift Osborne to For Sec. Bring in a pro-small business CoE, do some banker bashing for the 'little people'.

Thats what i would do if i was Cameron.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Charles said:

Charles said:

[snip]

Fundamentally, I've become increasingly concerned about some of the gaps opening up in this country between those who are elected to govern, and the people who they ignore and leave behind. London has always had a distinct character, but over the last 20 years, this has become increasingly pronounced. ...

[snip for brevity]

Excellent stuff, Charles, and a very articulate statement of why I support Cameron's politics, which is in the great tradition of one-nation Conservatism.

But how on earth do you get from that to wanting to risk trashing the economy by leaving the EU and supporting the more right-wing type of BOOer Tory? An utter logical disconnect, if you don't mind me saying so. I am completely baffled.
    Because of the people who lose from globalisation and are ignored by their elected representatives.

Because our economy isn't working. It serves the MNCs and makes life tough for small businesses. That just isn't right. It's hollowed out the tax base and encouraged companies to gouge for "incentives" to stay where they are.

Fundamentally our entire system is based on making the haves richer and ignoring the have nots. Leaving the EU gives us a chance to reset.
    *Applause*

The differnece between the "Noblesse oblige" sector of our ruling class, who view their role as stewards (oh, and taking some profit on the way) and the cowboy-rack-up-the-cash-and fuck everyone-else of the modern Conservative Party has seldom been so blatant.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    If the pollsters are using GE turnout models, they're going to be seriously seriously wrong.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    I am at the count in south London tonight but am very interested in whether peoples theories about where the yes and no votes have emanated from prove true. Therefore the initial opening of the boxes from various polling stations will be the part of the night I'm looking forward to.
    Calling it for remain now 56-44
  • Options
    Miss Jones, I went for a moderate Remain win.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,519
    rcs1000 said:

It's not true, though.
    And tbf, he likes to tell it against himself.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070

Leave down from 6-1 to 4-1 at Hills. Looks like I got peak odds

This is getting ridiculous!
  • Options

DearPB said:

Scott_P said:

Shift Osborne to For Sec. Bring in a pro-small business CoE, do some banker bashing for the 'little people'.

Exactly. If feeling mean he makes Johnson Chancellor - see how popular you are there Boris...
  • Options
    mwjfrome17mwjfrome17 Posts: 158
    £ falling 1.475
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Because of the people who lose from globalisation and are ignored by their elected representatives.

Because our economy isn't working. It serves the MNCs and makes life tough for small businesses. That just isn't right. It's hollowed out the tax base and encouraged companies to gouge for "incentives" to stay where they are.

Fundamentally our entire system is based on making the haves richer and ignoring the have nots. Leaving the EU gives us a chance to reset.

Small businesses are thriving. We are creating jobs faster than almost any other developed economy. Standard of living are rising, and will rise faster in the coming months (assuming a Remain, of course). Yes, following the 2008/9 crash things have been tough, but the less-well off have actually been extremely well insulated from the worst effects.

But, most of all, all your complaints, even if they were justified, are completely orthogonal to the issue on the ballot paper today. Quite apart from anything else, the principal economic argument, such as it is, of the Leave campaign is for increased globalisation, opening up our markets to increased competition, reducing tariffs, and trading more with countries such as China, Brazil and USA. If that were to come about and actually work (I'm sceptical, but let's assume the best), how on earth is that supposed to help the little man rather than big business, in a way which membership of the EU - with all its regulations and social protections - doesn't?

It makes no sense. I get the Patrick Minford argument - advocating untrammeled globalisation red in tooth and claw, remove all tariffs, let prices drop, and accept the hit on manufacturing in the hope that the resultant Thatcherite liberalisation will eventually outweigh the short-term damage to jobs and existing industry - but I really don't get yours.

I need to do some work today.

The current structure favours faceless global corporations with no loyalty to their communities. They shift their tax bases around. They gouge governments for incentives to provide employment. They import cheap labour rather than investing in training.

Globalisation - free trade with the world - is a good thing. Screwing the people to increase the EPS and bonuses of the very few is not.

Cameron governs for the few, not the many. The EU is set up to benefit MNCs, not SMEs. Breaking free from that provides the opportunity - which we may not take - to recast our economy in a much more productive way.
  • Options
    The normal non voters are voting................ (Except the youngsters) from anecdote.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,737
    timmo said:

I am at the count in south London tonight but am very interested in whether peoples theories about where the yes and no votes have emanated from prove true. Therefore the initial opening of the boxes from various polling stations will be the part of the night I'm looking forward to.

When you say South London - which Borough?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    DearPB said:

DearPB said:

Scott_P said:

Exactly. If feeling mean he makes Johnson Chancellor - see how popular you are there Boris...
    I might say Hammond instead, i don't think Johnson is CoE material!!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,574

Mr. B2, blame Boreas, the Greek god of the north wind (and where we get the Borealis bit of the Aurora).

S/he must be on holiday, since all these very lively storms are pushing up NE from the pernicious EU and headed for the UKIP-leaning areas of South & East England...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,927

Lolz if it is 55 vs 45
    Mirror of indyref, the conspiracy theories will be off the chart

Talking about Mirror...I looked on a news stand earlier and ALL the popular press plus the Telegraph ans Spectator have huge banner headlines saying some variation on 'Vote Out!' I've never seen them so unanimous.

If the result goes anywhere near what's predicted it'll show what people think of their newspapers.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,660
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

I thought it worth posting why I voted Leave as it is probably against my financial self-interest (although @rcs1000 you'd better be wrong about London house prices!)

Fundamentally, I've become increasingly concerned about some of the gaps opening up in this country between those who are elected to govern, and the people who they ignore and leave behind. London has always had a distinct character, but over the last 20 years, this has become increasingly pronounced.

We can, and should, be better than that as a party and as a country. The Conservatives used to be the party of the One Nation. They have forgotten how to do that - and I fear they have forgotten what it even means.

To lead is to serve. Our leaders need to be taught that they are not in charge. Vote Leave: take control.

Very good post. I don't agree with all of it, but I wish this case had been made in the campaign. Just as I wish we had heard more from the left on the issues identified by the Guardian writer who is voting no.
    The one thing I think we all agree on here, is that the campaigns could have benefited massively from more light and less heat. Not the finest hour of politics in this country.
    both sides are to blame but cameron started the whole mess in a tawdry & un prime-ministerial way. the two week pre campaign purdah during which he tried to manipulate the vote was awful. i've lots of friends who went from remain to leave because of cameron.
    The £9m leafleting was another. And trading concessions on the Trades Union Bill for £1.5m of Remain campaigning. Squalid and bent. Completely unforgivable in my eyes.
    Nasty calls to the COC to get John Longworth suspended, but not seeming to mind when prominent leaders of other supposedly impartial organisations lined up to support Remain.
  • Options

Charles

I agree with a lot of what you said, which is why I am a Liberal Democrat.

Ohh Purleese.

The Lib Dems are the worst of the lot.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2016
    edit
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    pbr2013 said:

TOPPING said:

John_M said:

Sean_F said:

John_M said:

I suppose we can take solace that Samantha's Cameron's daughter will be able to get that apprenticeship now.

Is Samantha Cameron's daughter planning to become a carpenter or electrician?
    From the Daily Mail interview:

"But I look at my daughter Nancy and think that in only six years she could be starting an apprenticeship"

My favourite moment of the campaign. It doesn't get more authentic than that, I'm sure you'll agree.
    As mentioned by me on here before. It is up there with Zac saying his favourite shop (in the My London section in the Standard) was Londis.
    Not as good as his ex's Scherezade's Guardian lifestyle article (now deleted as "copyright expires") on raising goats as a green lifestyle option. She really did say something like "don't worry about having enough space to rear goats, you only need to use one of your smaller fields".
    Rachael Johnson penned one of the most ridiculous articles I ever read in the Times. It was about the horrors of online grocery shopping, and how she couldn't buy her favourites such quail tongue pate, artisan knitted brioche from Bratislava etc.

It had rather too much detail to be a self-parody, someone compared her to Imelda Marcos buying shoes.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,778

John_M said:

Off-topic (and the really important news):

Apple is apparently replacing the 3.5mm headphone jack on their phones with the Lightning connector. Yet another user-unfriendly, messy and cash-grabbing move by Apple.

On a related note, I'm tempted to pre-order a Cat S60 phone. If only JCB still did them ... :(
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/cat-s60-review

Oh Josias, how I've missed your Apple posts. Go on, talk railways to me :).
    Unfortunately (*), I cannot think of a way of combining the two... ;)

But it's still true: Apple is IMO the most evil large company in the tech sector. And that's saying summat.

(*) Or fortunately for posters
    Easy: Class 31/0 were known as "Toffee Apples" due to their unique "Red Circle" multiple working equipment, which was incompatible with that on any other type of locomotive.
  • Options
    El_DaveEl_Dave Posts: 145
    Reuters piece suggesting which declarations to watch out for.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-vote-factbox-idUKKCN0Z822U
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    taffys said:

Weather forecast shows London being pounded by storms later today.

The almighty, it seems, is a leaver

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3648381/Outrage-church-leader-uses-Sunday-sermon-urge-parishioners-Vote-Leave-claiming-Brexit-God-s-view.html
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

this mi15 plot. When's the erasure supposed to take place? at the count? If not then how and where.

When the vans go missing for three hours like in Thanet South maybe. #Justsaying
  • Options

I went for a knife-edge Leave win. Probably this is says about what I see as being the best result I can realistically hope for - but who really knows? Nobody, at this point.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488

Reuters: German media reports an armed man has opened fire in a cinema complex in west #Germany

shit
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Free trade doesn't require free movement of people. The working classes have struggled under globalisation, understandably. Letting the rest of the globe then come in and undercut them on the unoutsourceable jobs (building extensions, driving taxis, cleaning and hairdressing) is taking the piss out of them a bit, don't you think?

It's a massive error to say that the working classes have struggled under globalisation. They benefit massively from it - all those large-screen TVs, cheap and good quality supermarket food, cheap holidays, good-quality cars at low prices, smartphones, new bathrooms and kitchens, clothes that cost virtually nothing: these are all benefits of globalisation. The idea that the bulk of the population has been impoverished in real terms by globalisation is a myth, and a pernicious one at that. We are all richer than ever before.

That's not to say that EU immigration hasn't been a problem, because of its scale and suddenness. I accept that, and to my mind it's the one persuasive argument of the Leave side, even though I think the reality is that life would be much less different in that respect that voters are led to believe. But looking at the picture in the round, unemployment is low and falling, wages are rising, the economy is doing well: it's not as though there is some complete dysfunction which justifies revolutionary change.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

I'm officially calling this referendum for Remain or Leave, no one else is going to win

You can't rule out the exact dead heat

If it's a dead heat, Remain wins.
    If it's a dead heat they'll call for a recount.
    I read elsewhere that there's no legal basis for a national recount :open_mouth:
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070
    Pity Charles wasn't a part of the Leave campaign.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

shit
    :(
  • Options
    pinkrose said:

taffys said:

Weather forecast shows London being pounded by storms later today.

The almighty, it seems, is a leaver

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3648381/Outrage-church-leader-uses-Sunday-sermon-urge-parishioners-Vote-Leave-claiming-Brexit-God-s-view.html
    Don't see what's outrageous about it. Just following the example of the Archbish.
  • Options
    nunu said:

AndyJS said:

surbiton said:

Birmingham also surprises me with 48-52 for Leave.

Is that with Chris Hanretty's figures? My formula is giving 58.6% Remain for Birmingham and that does seem more likely IMO.
    Yes Birmingham will be over 60% remain today.
    Not sure how Chris came up with a Leave win in Birmingham with a 50/50 UK vote. I haven't studied his methodology.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Lolz if it is 55 vs 45

Talking about Mirror...I looked on a news stand earlier and ALL the popular press plus the Telegraph ans Spectator have huge banner headlines saying some variation on 'Vote Out!' I've never seen them so unanimous.

If the result goes anywhere near what's predicted it'll show what people think of their newspapers.
    The popular press are on one side. The government machine, the BBC, and weight of the Establishment on the other. So, while it was certainly helpful for Leave to have the popular press on their side, it wasn't going to be decisive on its own.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    malcolmg said:

Or the Black Helicopters.....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Roger said:

Lolz if it is 55 vs 45

Not so. Mirror, Times, Guardian lead on Remain.

I'll partially agree with you. People don't wholly take their opinions from their preferred paper. There are just too many other sources of information/influence, even if it's just Facebook. Fleet Street isn't the opinion former it was even ten years ago.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, if the young aren't voting but those who usually don't (excepting the young) are, that's ominous for Remain.

Mr. B2, indeed, lazy Greek god letting that nasty European weather rain on Britain :p
  • Options

It's a massive error to say that the working classes have struggled under globalisation. They benefit massively from it - all those large-screen TVs, cheap and good quality supermarket food, cheap holidays, good-quality cars at low prices, smartphones, new bathrooms and kitchens, clothes that cost virtually nothing: these are all benefits of globalisation. The idea that the bulk of the population has been impoverished in real terms by globalisation is a myth, and a pernicious one at that. We are all richer than ever before.

That's not to say that EU immigration hasn't been a problem, because of its scale and suddenness. I accept that, and to my mind it's the one persuasive argument of the Leave side, even though I think the reality is that life would be much less different in that respect that voters are led to believe. But looking at the picture in the round, unemployment is low and falling, wages are rising, the economy is doing well: it's not as though there is some complete dysfunction which justifies revolutionary change.
    Just need about 5 million more houses and it'd all be fixed.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Pulpstar said:

The normal non voters are voting................ (Except the youngsters) from anecdote.

Fits what I've been thinking. What about usual voters though?
  • Options
    Lennon said:

timmo said:

When you say South London - which Borough?
    Sutton

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

£ falling 1.475

Profit taking or hedging.
  • Options
    Mr. 1983, I don't think the Church should poke its holy nose into political business.

But, as you say, if the Archsocialist feels free to spout political drivel from the pulpit people cannot complain if his revered underlings feel free to do the same.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    PlatoSaid said:

AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

I'm officially calling this referendum for Remain or Leave, no one else is going to win

I read elsewhere that there's no legal basis for a national recount :open_mouth:
    There are counting agents for both sides.

Surely they could ask for a recount. But there might be a time limit and only the last counting district would know it is a draw - Western Isles?
  • Options
    18 responses so far, and no-one expects Leave to win by a greater margin than 1%.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/2VY7XY8

Right. Must go and get some work done for a bit.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @KevinJPringle: So here we have it from official @vote_leave: Scotland (and London) are not "heartlands of the country"! #VoteRemain https://t.co/o0XKz4YpQa
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941

Anecdote: Site manager at an industrial site in Yorkshire called all of his staff into the conference room this morning. Told them all to Vote Leave.

To me, this sort of nonsense is totally counterproductive.

In some communities that behaviour is quite common, particularly West Yorkshire
    In days gone by the local mill owner would march his workers to the polling station to vote Liberal; the squire would march his agricultural workers to the polling station to vote Conservative.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    Barnesian said:

Good afternoon, Mr. Britain. The weather's been rather nice today, although one hopes it will not turn humid as the evening approaches.

Stormy, with strange and shifting interludes. Like the campaign up till now, and not obviously any kind of help to either side.
    Storm is over Haslemere and approaching Guildford. It will reach SW London in about 60 minutes. Bad for Remain. But it will reach East Anglia in about 3 hours. Good for Remain.

The timing is important, the peak voting on the way home from work will be effected in London but not East Anglia (well it could effect those in East Anglia who work in London but they may well be biased to Remain anyway).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

@Charles

I think you are tilting at windmills: very noble, brings a tear to the eye, garners "hear hears" from all and sundry, but at the end of the day deeply misplaced.

So leaving the EU is going to be one in the eye for, er, the Westminster Clique? You sound like Owen Jones. Only with less logic. What on earth is leaving the EU going to do to thwart the Westminster clique? If anything it would be concentrating the power in an even smaller elite. You say how MPs are dreadful, disconnected, starstruck, etc, etc and then....you want to give them total power over our lives.

Love it or hate it, if you think that our MPs are the problem, then I would have thought the more power devolved to the EU the better.

Sorry, Charles, it all sounded very noble and noblesse obligey, and well done you for railing against this huge, perceived injustice, but an asinine post nevertheless.

Never miss a chance to insult someone else, do you?

The point is that our MPs can be sacked if we don't like what they are doing. Taking them out of the EU gives them nowhere to hide. It also makes the point that the voters are in charge.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    PlatoSaid said:

AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

That's because the odds of it occurring are so vanishingly small it is less likely than George Osborne growing an orange beard and being exposed as a Martian.
  • Options

I think globalisation has been excellent for poor people around the world, and we should welcome that. It's an undeniable good thing that countries where people starved in living memory now have reasonable standards of living.

But, I think it stopped being a good thing for people in rich countries about 15 years ago.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Oops.

That's been my argument; it's the scale and pace of immigration. We need planning reform, welfare reform (e.g. towards a contributory system) and a metric buttload of housebuilding (good quality housing though!).
  • Options
    Mr. P, what's the problem? Everyone knows Yorkshire's the heartland of England and the UK.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

You can have a constituency link with PR, either via multi-member constituencies Irish-style or with the constituency plus top-up system recommended by Jenkins and similar to that used in Scotland and for the GLA

The problem with any list system is that it's damn-near impossible to vote out somebody at the top of the list, and absolutely impossible to elect somebody further down the list without electing everyone else above them.

Say UKIP is standing in my multi-member constituency. Nigel Farage is top of the list. Douglas Carswell is second. I want to vote Carswell as my MP because I quite like him as an individual but I can't stand Farage, or UKIP generally.

Well, I can't have Carswell without Farage, and by voting UKIP hoping for Carswell, I increase the probability of getting only Farage, which would be worse than no UKIP at all.

Does this break the 'Constituency link' as we know it? Definitely. Everything is reduced to a vote 'for a party', and to hell with all the subtle nuances that make British politics so fascinating.

I'm ideologically in favour of PR - but there is no established system that achieves it without losing much of what is good about FPTP. (Obviously I have a perfect system in my own mind...)
    And in the majority of FPTP seats, a) the colour of MP who will win is 99% known in advance, however you as a local voter might decide, b) whether you get Farage or Carswell has also been decided in advance, by four or five party activists a year or two prior.

I absolutely agree with you about the faults of a List system - which is why I prefer STV or constituency plus limited top-up - but these same flaws (of party control and no voter choice) are already deeply embedded in the system we currently use.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

Barnesian said:

The timing is important, the peak voting on the way home from work will be effected in London but not East Anglia (well it could effect those in East Anglia who work in London but they may well be biased to Remain anyway).
    Awfully dark in Victoria...
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Sure, they haven't struggled in real terms. No-one has [that's as much to do with progress as globalisation, of course]. But they are still being left behind.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yeah, well we need lots of Polish and Roumanian brickies and 'leccies to get those built.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

@Charles

Never miss a chance to insult someone else, do you?

The point is that our MPs can be sacked if we don't like what they are doing. Taking them out of the EU gives them nowhere to hide. It also makes the point that the voters are in charge.
    Accountability, in a nutshell. It doesn't just work in business.
  • Options

Mr. 1983, I don't think the Church should poke its holy nose into political business.

But, as you say, if the Archsocialist feels free to spout political drivel from the pulpit people cannot complain if his revered underlings feel free to do the same.

The local vicar where I work said Vote Leave in the parish magazine.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

That's because the odds of it occurring are so vanishingly small it is less likely than George Osborne growing an orange beard and being exposed as a Martian.
    I'll take the bet
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yeah, well we need lots of Polish and Roumanian brickies and 'leccies to get those built.
    Based on my recent experiences, we need more brick factories first #grumble.
  • Options

Well done that man.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

nunu said:

surbiton said:

Birmingham also surprises me with 48-52 for Leave.

I think leave relying on cities like Birmingham should have rang alarm bells. A campaign based 80% on immigration is not going to win cities like Birmingham, Bradford which was also predicted to be narrowly leave. Its not that these places don't want controlled immigration they do, they are just not going to vote for a side that bangs on about that to the detriment of everything elese.
    Another great post by you.
    In the final analysis, assuming a Remain victory, it will be the overplaying of the immigration card, and the idiocy of the hateful poster campaign that will be seen (rightly or wrongly) as the turning point. To think some on here defended it. It was a shameful, squalid campaign.
    In your - relentless, relentless - view.

Both campaigns were squalid.

Only one of the campaigns published a poster of people with dark faces in a queue, with the message Breaking Point over the top of it.
    Remain lost the moral high ground when too many of its supporters tried to make capital out of a murder.

Both as disgusting as each other.
    Neither campaign did that. A party is not a campaign.
  • Options

My next door neighbour posted a bundle of leaflets through my door and a letter explaining that God helped Britain defeat the German's twice and the Spanish Armada, and that God wanted us to vote out....
  • Options

I hosted a couple of fundraising parties for them, but our (non-family) chairman asked the family not to take a public stance because it was be personally embarrassing for him.
  • Options

Mr. P, what's the problem? Everyone knows Yorkshire's the heartland of England and the UK.

Haltwhistle, Northumberland is the centre of mainland Britain if you cut out a map and balance it on a pin.
  • Options
    Mr. M, a brick shortage?

That seems unlikely, given how many Cameron must be shitting today.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Sean_F said:

I think globalisation has been excellent for poor people around the world, and we should welcome that. It's an undeniable good thing that countries where people starved in living memory now have reasonable standards of living.

But, I think it stopped being a good thing for people in rich countries about 15 years ago.
    Yes, people have more things in material terms but feel dissatisfied with quality of life. They have a gigantic TV but have to put up with more road and train rage than before.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Sure, they haven't struggled in real terms. No-one has [that's as much to do with progress as globalisation, of course]. But they are still being left behind.

Some are, some of their children are doing very well, in completely different sorts of jobs. Much of this is about shifts in the economy from forces which have zilch to do with the EU, and some of it is Quixotic protectionism reminiscent of the battles over the loss of jobs in the printing industry thirty years ago.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

shit
    Here we go again. Is it me or are these weekly now?
    Meh. I desultorily wonder which particular flavour of nutter it is this time.
  • Options

I went small Remain win.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited June 2016

@nunu When I originally came off the fence, this is what I wrote:

"No, I've come decisively off the fence now on the Remain side. The EU is seriously dysfunctional and the proposed deal is pisspoor. The Eurocrats are mediocre, reactive and short-sighted and the EU is in need of major reform that it's not going to get.

But it is now abundantly apparent that the Leave side is going to be overwhelmingly dominated by people with no judgement and very different values from me, who regard other Europeans as the enemy and immigrants as vermin, and whatever the fallout of a Leave vote it would leave Britain poorer, spiritually if not economically, as such people gained the ascendancy in public debate."

I stand by that. It wasn't a choice between good and bad. It was the choice between two profoundly unappetising options.

To get my vote, Leave would have had to have had a realistic plan which acknowledged the downsides as well as the upsides and to have campaigned with integrity, civility and basic decency for a civil and decent post-Brexit Britain. I didn't so much select Remain as was driven into it by the antics of the Leave campaign and its supporters.

But say if they still had the policy of a points based system for all immigrants, but they didn't campaign so hard on it and instead focused on the process of leaving the E.U and joining a free trade area, and Nigel Farrage wasn't a high profile member of the out campaign, would Leave have won your vote.

We all dismissed Alistar Meeks but it sounds like he could actually have been persuaded.
  • Options

shit
    That's just what the Remain camp didn't want... Lets hope it isn't too serious
  • Options
    Well both stock and currency markets have dropped back to where they started out this morning (still up a little on yesterday), and are having a pause for thought...possibly just profits being taken from this morning's surge on the anticipated result, possibly still some pre-count jitters....
  • Options

Mr. M, a brick shortage?

That seems unlikely, given how many Cameron must be shitting today.

They claim that the terrible brick famine of 2014 is over, but it's lies I tell you, lies!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

shit
    Here we go again. Is it me or are these weekly now?
    Maybe inspired by Mair. Perhaps less reporting of these incidents would be a good idea.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    As chance would have it, a lot of my team live in rural Essex. The trains were in chaos this morning with the result that they could not get in and have had to work from home.

I expect that voting in the referendum will now actually be easier for such voters rather than harder, because they won't have to do it after the commute home.

If I were guessing, I'd guess that cohort of voters is likely to be more Remain-friendly than the non-commuters in the area but more Leave-friendly than the typical City workers.
  • Options

Haltwhistle, Northumberland is the centre of mainland Britain if you cut out a map and balance it on a pin.
    How did you figure that out?!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

taffys said:

I was, and am, none the wiser.

Yeah right...Jo Coxgasm supporters have more or less implied that anybody that votes leave is a racist.

They have more or less implied that anybody that votes leave helped pull the trigger....
    No they bloody well haven't, you're being hysterical, even if a few Remainers have indeed been hysterical as well.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I really hope this is true - the poke-em-in-the-eye vote is long overdue.
  • Options
    timmo said:

shit
    Might be a right wing nutter. It's awful whoever is responsible.
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, Constantine the Great wasn't made Emperor in Haltwhistle.

Miss Plato, the polling is certainly more divergent than the election. I wonder if TNS will regret altering their methodology for their final poll (showed a 2pt Leave lead, would've been 7pts under the old methodology).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    OT, but isn't it time the BBC brought back the old election theme song? :D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf3NxCCSz3Y
  • Options
    Mr. M, if we Leave, there won't be any more bricks. Wattle and daub only.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187

It's a pity a number of the Leave posters on here were not integral to the campaign. We've seen far more coherent (and less inflammatory) arguments here than have got through to the voters.

Of course, despite their best efforts, we Leavers would still have been called thick Little Englanders by Remain.... And Jo Cox would still have been killed.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited June 2016
    timmo said:

shit
    Reports of up to 50 wounded. This does not look good.

"As many as 50 people have been wounded in a shooting at a cinema complex in Germany, according to local media reports.

An armed man has reportedly barricaded himself inside the Kinopolis cinema complex, located in the town of Viernheim in western Germany"

http://news.sky.com/story/1716448/man-opens-fire-in-germany-cinema-complex
This discussion has been closed.