Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s 10/1 on a second EU Referendum being held before July

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,965

Scott_P said:

Even funnier, it shows you have no idea of how factories work.

I know how the Peugeot factory at Ryton works.

Oh, wait...
    Yes a function of the EU.

Close the UK plant and move it to cheap labour Slovakia. And it's all so easy because we're in the big market and no-one can protest.

Have you seen the Ryton site now? It's amazing. All warehouses.

I bought a new Peugeot in 2003 to show my support for Ryton and within months it had all closed down. Lots of Southam neighbours lost their jobs. Big Leave win there, for sure.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    When is she going to be made a saint?

It's a tragedy for the family and a sad loss to Parliament, but it's getting over the top now,

I thought Bowie was bad enough.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Sunny Hundal:

Timeline of last few days:

"Jo Cox's attacker is just a lone madman - this isn't political"

**Revealed that several witnesses heard him shout "Britain first" during attack**

"But he wasn't ideologically driven, he is just a bit mad"

**Man charged for attack says his name is "death to traitors, freedom for Britain" in court**

"Ok ok, but that doesn't mean much either. Despite his past, he is just a crazed man now"

**It is revealed that when arrested he said he was a "political activist", and police found articles 'white supremacist’ material at his home**

Imagine being undermined every step of the way by the very guy you're trying to defend
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Scott_P said:

BMWs next most popular model is the Mini which is made in Oxford.

...for now
    ScottPaste didn't understand (or believe) the Monty Hall problem after half the forum tried to explain, and linked most of the well known explanations, I think you are optimistic about factories ;)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,127

Sky news saying there is going to be a worldwide tribute event to Jo Cox centred on Trafalgar Square at 4.00pm on Wednesday 22nd June to celebrate her life's work and all she stood for.

madness
    Just caught the end of the breaking news but it really is going global involving many countries around the globe. Still waiting for full details but it apparently is her birthday
    There will probably be next to no coverage at all outside the UK, there was a statement from Hillary after the killing and a Canadian MP in Parliament and some coverage on the continent but few international news agencies will cover a minor rally outside their own country
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,357

Norm said:

Sky news saying there is going to be a worldwide tribute event to Jo Cox centred on Trafalgar Square at 4.00pm on Wednesday 22nd June to celebrate her life's work and all she stood for.

madness
    Ludicrous and entirely politically motivated to keep the tragedy in the news cycle
    Of course

it's timed for the maximum referendum shroud waving on Wednesday, whereas Thursday the one week anniversary would make more sense.

Remain must be pumping this as their best chance to swing votes, but risky as it has the potential to backfire by pissing people off.
    But Thursday is not her birthday, Wednesday is
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    John_M said:

GIN1138 said:

Take the long view. No polity lasts forever. History is on your side.

Agreed, but the Holy Roman Empire managed just over 1,000 years, so maybe get a sandwich.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Norm said:

madness
    Ludicrous and entirely politically motivated to keep the tragedy in the news cycle
    Of course

it's timed for the maximum referendum shroud waving on Wednesday, whereas Thursday the one week anniversary would make more sense.

Remain must be pumping this as their best chance to swing votes, but risky as it has the potential to backfire by pissing people off.
    LOL you couldnt make it up :-)
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Boris to be PM by 1st Jan at 8/1 seems tasty. But I've lost enough this year so far, so unless there's an upturn with my remaining POTUS related bets I'll probably not go for it.

Correct decision ...... Boris ain't going to be PM by 01.01.16 or at any other time, he has nowhere near enough supporters amongst the Tory MPS to give him any realistic chance of winning.
    Btw, many thanks for the link to the earliest declaring councils as regards the referendum vote. You mentioned 2 or 3 of the contenders incl my own area, Wandsworth, but once again it seems Sunderland look virtually certain to win this race by a country mile.
    The big question, from a betting perspective, is what exactly can we take from their result?
    If Sunderland is less than 53% for Leave then Remain will win, from demograhic profile. At least that was the verdict when discussed on here a week or two back.
    Apparently a Voodo poll in the Sunderland echo has leave on 70%. I will watch those results with interest.
    Though does the Sunderland counting area include some places outside the city?
    No idea.

I'll be at a count I suspect, but will be watching Sunderland, Hartlepool and Newcastle with interest.

If it's heavy one way or another we will at least have a feel of the night.
    I would expect Sunderland to be 6-8% more friendly to Leave than the country as a whole. If it wasn't for Nissan, I'd say 12-15% more friendly.
    If it is then the WWC are going to deliver Cameron a h**l of a thumping.
    I think that is inevitable, irrespective of whether its 51% to Leave or 49%.
    I have no idea how it plays if England votes out and the Scots keep us in. Of course, I appreciate that Cameron will play the One Nation card, but even so. That would be ghastly.
    We are one country. We had a referendum.
  • Options

madness
    apparently is her birthday
    All part of the plot.....

Jolly cunning, these lizards.....
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    John_N4 said:

John_M said:

I have no idea how it plays if England votes out and the Scots keep us in. Of course, I appreciate that Cameron will play the One Nation card, but even so. That would be ghastly.

If Britain votes Remain by a small margin, then there will be many demographics which people can say "kept us in".

Two that spring to mind are London residents and Muslims.
    And the London, multiculti Meejah...
  • Options

Sunny Hundal:

Timeline of last few days:

"Jo Cox's attacker is just a lone madman - this isn't political"

**Revealed that several witnesses heard him shout "Britain first" during attack**

"But he wasn't ideologically driven, he is just a bit mad"

**Man charged for attack says his name is "death to traitors, freedom for Britain" in court**

"Ok ok, but that doesn't mean much either. Despite his past, he is just a crazed man now"

**It is revealed that when arrested he said he was a "political activist", and police found articles 'white supremacist’ material at his home**

Imagine being undermined every step of the way by the very guy you're trying to defend

So you'll be taking the Orlando murderer at face value and blaming radical islam ?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Sorry, but a boat sailing down the Thames to the Houses of Parliament? A political rally in Trafalgar Square the day before the most important vote since 1975? Remain are not putting their thumb on the scales; they have tipped them over.

What a childish, emotionally incontinent nation we have become.

Did you miss the Diana stuff?

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,777
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

If Sunderland is less than 53% for Leave then Remain will win, from demograhic profile. At least that was the verdict when discussed on here a week or two back.

Apparently a Voodo poll in the Sunderland echo has leave on 70%. I will watch those results with interest.
    If Sunderland is more than 60% for Leave, I think we can reasonably assume a Leave victory. (85%+ probability).

On the other hand, if it's below 50% for Leave, I'd flip it, and assume a similar likelihood for Remain.

I would point out that local papers' voodoo polls do not have a good record. I remember in the famous battle for Bedfordshire North in 1992, when the local newspaper had the Labour candidate Pat Hall on something like 50%, with the Conservatives on 35% and the Alliance Social and Liberal Democrats on about 10%. The eventual result did not look anything like that.
    I agree. The only caveat is that I would say 53% plus for leave is good.

Voodoo polls are voodoo polls. For amusement only. Just thought I would mention it for the sake of amusement.
    For that reason, I think 55% is the vote share where Leave should become overall (51%) favourites.
    It seems PB Bettors should be sitting with their calculators at the ready awaiting that all 8important +/- 55% vote for LEAVE in Sunderland!

The truth is however that if the exit poll, presumably again on the stroke of 10.00pm, is anything like as accurate as for the 2015 GE, then unless the result is very close indeed we can all go to bed, instead of having to wait up for a further 4 - 5 hours of sometimes very boring, repetitive and partisan discussion.
    Btw is another all-night pub party being planned this time?
    There will be no exit poll as there was not for indyref. However yougov did a post vote poll which came out at 10pm which was just 1% off for No and Yes and they will probably do the same on Thursday
    One of the pollsters explai ned why there was unlikely to be an exit poll. It isn't a question of asking people for they voted and then presenting the percentages because the sample will be skewed. You compare how they voted with what happened last time and then project to a new figure. As referendums are one offs there is no historical data to refer to
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Norm said:

madness
    Of course

Two points:

1) At your age, don't try to feign naivety.

2) Try to use punctuation properly. More people will read what you post.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

madness
    Just caught the end of the breaking news but it really is going global involving many countries around the globe. Still waiting for full details but it apparently is her birthday
    There will probably be next to no coverage at all outside the UK, there was a statement from Hillary after the killing and a Canadian MP in Parliament and some coverage on the continent but few international news agencies will cover a minor rally outside their own country
    It is reported there will be rallies in all the participating countries at the same time and co-ordinated and networking through the broadcast media worldwide
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Lol. Has Gandhi died again?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...

Close the UK plant and move it to cheap labour Slovakia. And it's all so easy because we're in the big market and no-one can protest.

I bought a new Peugeot in 2003 to show my support for Ryton and within months it had all closed down. Lots of Southam neighbours lost their jobs. Big Leave win there, for sure.

Ive avoided Ryton for about two years until they fix that darned roundabout !
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Brooke, the question is how swing voters end up viewing it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,977
    edited June 2016
    CD13 said:

When is she going to be made a saint?

It's a tragedy for the family and a sad loss to Parliament, but it's getting over the top now,

I thought Bowie was bad enough.

It's been a few days, over the weekend with no other major national news to push it off the agenda.

I cannot stand overdone or overextended displays of sadness, that's just my personal view, but it has not been that excessive, I think if anything people are getting too defensive about the supposed excess.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845

Beware the Commonwealth vote. Leaning Leave probably.

First they came for the EU immigrants, then they came for the Commonwealth immigrants ..
  • Options

OUT said:

Most of us are at work at that time. Aren't we?
    Lowlander's mum is going to explode.
    I really hope not - It does seem to have been arranged for her birthday but to co-ordinate events worldwide so quickly is amazing. It will also be interesting who the many contributors will be and how they convey their tributes. It is the last big event before the vote

OUT said:

I really hope not - It does seem to have been arranged for her birthday but to co-ordinate events worldwide so quickly is amazing. It will also be interesting who the many contributors will be and how they convey their tributes. It is the last big event before the vote
    Dan Snow and Eddie Izzard if the 2014 rally is anything to go by
  • Options
    EPG said:

Did PB really think REMAIN would try not to win the referendum? Did it think all its enemies were as easy as Ed Miliband? How naive.

There is something in that, unfortunately - a lot of stunned reactions at politicians acting like politicians.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...

Ive avoided Ryton for about two years until they fix that darned roundabout !

Tell me about it. Only another 17 years to go.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059

Norm said:

madness
    Of course

I agree that this is quite likely to have the opposite effect to what Remain wants.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    RodCrosby said:

John_N4 said:

John_M said:

If Britain votes Remain by a small margin, then there will be many demographics which people can say "kept us in".

I'm not watching Sky until Thursday at this rate. They've been acting like the Queen died for days already.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517
    Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

While I know I'm in a minority of one on here, I think we overestimate the fragility of the Eurozone, and underestimate the fragility of the UK.

Whether we are looking at current account, budget deficit, or private sector debt, pretty much every Eurozone country is in much better shape that 2008. We, on the other hand, are in much worse shape.

Shhhhh.

Leavers don't listen to experts
    That post is anti the people you shill for Scott. Do try to pay attention.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

OUT said:

Contributors. Geldof,Sting,Bono(maybe just his hat), and Tony Blair. Afterall
    “She was the people’s princess and that’s how she will stay, how she will remain in our hearts and in our memories forever,”
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Sorry, but a boat sailing down the Thames to the Houses of Parliament? A political rally in Trafalgar Square the day before the most important vote since 1975? Remain are not putting their thumb on the scales; they have tipped them over.

I was too young to really understand what was going on. I just thought it was sad that a princess died in a car crash.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited June 2016
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

If Sunderland is more than 60% for Leave, I think we can reasonably assume a Leave victory. (85%+ probability).

On the other hand, if it's below 50% for Leave, I'd flip it, and assume a similar likelihood for Remain.

I would point out that local papers' voodoo polls do not have a good record. I remember in the famous battle for Bedfordshire North in 1992, when the local newspaper had the Labour candidate Pat Hall on something like 50%, with the Conservatives on 35% and the Alliance Social and Liberal Democrats on about 10%. The eventual result did not look anything like that.

Voodoo polls are voodoo polls. For amusement only. Just thought I would mention it for the sake of amusement.
    For that reason, I think 55% is the vote share where Leave should become overall (51%) favourites.
    It seems PB Bettors should be sitting with their calculators at the ready awaiting that all 8important +/- 55% vote for LEAVE in Sunderland!

The truth is however that if the exit poll, presumably again on the stroke of 10.00pm, is anything like as accurate as for the 2015 GE, then unless the result is very close indeed we can all go to bed, instead of having to wait up for a further 4 - 5 hours of sometimes very boring, repetitive and partisan discussion.
    There will be no exit poll as there was not for indyref. However yougov did a post vote poll which came out at 10pm which was just 1% off for No and Yes and they will probably do the same on Thursday
    One of the pollsters explai ned why there was unlikely to be an exit poll. It isn't a question of asking people for they voted and then presenting the percentages because the sample will be skewed. You compare how they voted with what happened last time and then project to a new figure. As referendums are one offs there is no historical data to refer to
    I think that's right. The GE exit poll uses bellweather polling stations and notes the change in voting pattern from the previous election. On Thursday there is no 'previous election' and so no baseline data.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

madness
    It is reported there will be rallies in all the participating countries at the same time and co-ordinated and networking through the broadcast media worldwide
    Clashes with the football
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894

rcs1000 said:

John_N4 said:

John_M said:

I'm not so sure about the Muslim vote.
    Has anyone seen a poll? (Not a Pole.)
    In multicultural Leicester it is my Hindu and Asian Christian colleagues who have been Leave inclined. The Muslims that I know are either Remain or voice no opinion. On the other hand they are rather preoccupied with Ramadan etc at present so all rather tired and grumpy. Long muggy days are pretty gruelling when fasting, and also the focus is on the spiritual world rather than the secular one. I would forecast a fairly low turnout from that community, though putting up Sadiq Khan for Remain in the debate may spark interest.
    An Italian friend said they'd recently done an article in corriere della sera on the strange referendum phenomena of immigrants who wanted to close the door behind them.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

I was too young to really understand what was going on. I just thought it was sad that a princess died in a car crash.

We are a country of weepists and have been for 20 years.

• Options
    OUT said:

OUT said:

“She was the people’s princess and that’s how she will stay, how she will remain in our hearts and in our memories forever,”
    IIRC she was photo'd on Geldof's boat.
  • Options
    Cox, in a hopelessly inapt reference in her maiden speech, stated one day she might bring down a government.

Instead, it looks like her hysterical mourners are going to try and bring down the referendum...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Norm said:

madness
    Of course

I agree that this is quite likely to have the opposite effect to what Remain wants.
    Isn't that wishful thinking? There do seem to be an awful lot feeble-minded drippy people in Britain. They are probably over-represented amongst undecided voters.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Norm said:

madness
    Of course

Two points:

1) At your age, don't try to feign naivety.

2) Try to use punctuation properly. More people will read what you post.

One point - try to patronise less, more people will read what you post.

Actually that's a lie, the same numbers will, but that was still a pretty uppity way of telling someone they'd used punctuation incorrectly, I don't see what benefit it adds when done in that manner.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

HYUFD said:

madness
    Oh really you think most foreign media are going to give big coverage to a rally attended by a few hundred to a thousand or two for a British backbencher most of their viewers had never heard of and in the middle of the week? Of course not. I have a lot of sympathy for Jo Cox's family but this rally will be an 'and in other news' story at best
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Norm said:

madness
    Of course

At another level you have to ask if the family have have thought this through.There's nothing better the UK press like to do than build them up to knock them down.

Dave, Tony and Bono won't be there when the reptiles turn up and start name blackening.

If it was me I'd have kept it private which isnhow I thinkn grief should be.
  • Options

madness
    it's as daft as giving Obama the nobel peace prize.
    Hey now, he made some really good speeches to earn that prize.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,777
    HYUFD said:

madness
    I was surprised at the amount of international coverage her death got. It tied into a narrative of a referendum that had got very nasty. That might explain part of it.
  • Options
    Jo Cox's death was horrible. It's at least arguable there's some kind of link to the referendum (though whoever did it is guilty, no-one else), but a Trafalgar Square rally and worldwide celebration? Please, no.
  • Options

madness
    Overegging it seriously now.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    RoyalBlue said:

rcs1000 said:

Norm said:

madness
    Of course

Isn't that wishful thinking? There do seem to be an awful lot feeble-minded drippy people in Britain. They are probably over-represented amongst undecided voters.
    At this point I have no idea what is going to happen one way or another.

It's been clear to me for years that I don't grok a huge swathe of our population. Maybe it's a generational thing, maybe I'm just acculturated.

You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you don't know for sure.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Norm said:

madness
    Of course

It would be mildly amusing if it joined the long list of Remain vote losing big events. Its after the last few days of doom and gloom in the Remain camp it must be about time for another round of gloating and being convinced they have it in the bag... well until the next set of polls come out anyway.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

No the odd photo was her, her husband and her two small kids sailing towards a brawl on a river.

Say what you like but I wouldn't bring my kids to argy bargy on a river no matter how strong I felt.
  • Options
    I swear I saw her image on a tortilla. I'm putting it on eBay.
  • Options

Norm said:

madness
    Of course

The conspiracy theorists are going to have a field day!
  • Options
    I cannot wait to see how people end up deciding which major plays by the opposing side in the final week will be categorized as 'Will have the opposite effect leave/remain want' and 'will have no effect as no one will notice' - years of following politics, I'm yet to determine how people decide in what way to dismiss things, and indeed sometimes they can manage both somehow.

Personally I tend to stick with a 'probably won't have much of an effect' approach for everything, as a sitting on the fence kind of approach, as I can be wrong on the significance, but technically not wrong about having an opposite effect if one occurs.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

No the odd photo was her, her husband and her two small kids sailing towards a brawl on a river.

Say what you like but I wouldn't bring my kids to argy bargy on a river no matter how strong I felt.
    I don't think she was on the boat with her children and I think it was Boris's Sister Rachel with Geldorf
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

No, she was in a RIB with her husband & kids (ages 3 & 5), being sprayed with river water by a LEAVE boat....so much for peaceful protest, eh?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Any polls out today?
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

We are a country of weepists and have been for 20 years.

Yes. But apparently we are supposed to be surprised every time.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

She's a bad mother now......how was she to know LEAVE wouldn't let it be a peaceful protest?
  • Options
    Roger said:

rcs1000 said:

John_N4 said:

John_M said:

I'm not so sure about the Muslim vote.
    Has anyone seen a poll? (Not a Pole.)
    In multicultural Leicester it is my Hindu and Asian Christian colleagues who have been Leave inclined. The Muslims that I know are either Remain or voice no opinion. On the other hand they are rather preoccupied with Ramadan etc at present so all rather tired and grumpy. Long muggy days are pretty gruelling when fasting, and also the focus is on the spiritual world rather than the secular one. I would forecast a fairly low turnout from that community, though putting up Sadiq Khan for Remain in the debate may spark interest.
    An Italian friend said they'd recently done an article in corriere della sera on the strange referendum phenomena of immigrants who wanted to close the door behind them.

Gisela Stuart.

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

I don't think she was on the boat with her children and I think it was Boris's Sister Rachel with Geldorf
    Is Geldof going to turn to camera and say "get your f***ing votes out"?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

'

I would point out that local papers', with the Conservatives on 35% and the Alliance Social and Liberal Democrats on about 10%. The eventual result did not look anything like that.

Indeed but yougov will do a poll
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894

Jo Cox's death was horrible. It's at least arguable there's some kind of link to the referendum (though whoever did it is guilty, no-one else), but a Trafalgar Square rally and worldwide celebration? Please, no.

I think it depends what tone it takes. If it's a genuine "celebration" of her work and life then fair enough.

If it basically evolves into an "eve of poll referendum rally" then it could backfire spectacularly (someone had better keep Kinnock quiet, LOL)
  • Options
    EPG said:

Did PB really think REMAIN would try not to win the referendum? Did it think all its enemies were as easy as Ed Miliband? How naive.

Yes, it was rather naive of many (not me) to think that our grotty elites would stand for their pension scheme being obliterated by an insignificant detail like the democratic wishes of the British people. But I am surprised that you see this contempt for you as a voter as a cause for celebration.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

It didn't look like Rachael Johnson - the lady had dark hair and looked remarkably like Mrs Cox. There's nothing wrong with her being aboard, of course.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

here's her twitter account, shes claiming it;s her husband and kids in that small dinghy.

clearly primary school kids.

https://twitter.com/jo_cox1?lang=en-gb
  • Options
    Luke Kelly - what a voice. Jeez.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

She's a bad mother now......how was she to know LEAVE wouldn't let it be a peaceful protest?

Point of order: It was Leave's rally. Remain decided to cause trouble.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Stiff upper lip is no more.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

No, she was in a RIB with her husband & kids (ages 3 & 5), being sprayed with river water by a LEAVE boat....so much for peaceful protest, eh?
    Children have no place at political protests, particularly so young and in a boat on a large river. How is that responsible?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

She was not in the rib as far as I know, it may have been a family friend - was she not in her constituency
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

She was on a small RIB with her family - as her widower tweeted: So this is the moment the #VoteLeave lot started hosing my kids with river water. Nice friendly lot #floatilla

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck_1ihJWUAAme_P.jpg:large
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    RodCrosby said:

John_N4 said:

John_M said:

Surprising comment from someone from the vibrant multi cultural and VERY cultural city of Liverpool.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

madness
    Clashes with the football
    Good.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Children have no place at political protests, particularly so young and in a boat on a large river. How is that responsible?
    Another 'Jo Cox was a bad mother'......
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    I'm not one for ceremonies at all.
    But proper measured recognition is in order.
    Above all this is a time for traditional British obduracy.
    It's a strength.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited June 2016
    This line of posting will not end well. See y'all on the next thread.

RIP Jo Cox, I didn't know you though you sounded lovely. But you sure didn't deserve your death being turned into a politically motivated three-ring circus.

*quick edit for crimes against grammar*
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

'

I would point out that local papers', with the Conservatives on 35% and the Alliance Social and Liberal Democrats on about 10%. The eventual result did not look anything like that.

Would you admit to voting leave in this sort of climate. Remember what happened to anyone who didnt support the diana emoting in 1997
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

By attending? Did they spray young children with river water?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    GIN1138 said:

El_Dave said:

I think a general election mandate to leave the EU is more likely. Probably the Conservatives with a Leave supporting leader.

No. No. No. The Conservatives are THE EU Party. The Tories took us in. The Tories are now in the process of keeping us there forever. No Tory leader will ever stand on the platform of taking us out of the EU... Or if they do it will just be a pack of lies.

Conservatives = The EU. Was forever thus.

Now, I rekon the chances are good that when we join the Euro it will be a "Tory" government that brings us to end game... Given it was a Tory government that started it off all those years ago.

In some ways this is logical, it's that Nixon goes to China situation. The Tories are certainly portrayed as more eurosceptic than labour, and so they can get away with integration. At the same time, a Tory couldn't get away with nhs reforms that labour have done, labour are the nhs party and so have more scope. I wonder if we would have initially joined the euro if the Tories had won in 1997? Bearing in mind uk euroscepticism of the Euro was a lot lower back in early 2000's...
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

It didn't look like Rachael Johnson - the lady had dark hair and looked remarkably like Mrs Cox. There's nothing wrong with her being aboard, of course.
    Rachel Johnson was with Geldorf, Jo Cox was not on the rib or with Geldorf - assume she was in her constituency
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Would you do it? The Thames is a very large and fast moving river.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

"She's a bad mother now."

Well clearly that's your suggestion,

But It's the kind of thing lots of parents would get pulled up for and prosecuted.

Is the law just for the little people ?

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

She was on a small RIB with her family - as her widower tweeted: So this is the moment the #VoteLeave lot started hosing my kids with river water. Nice friendly lot #floatilla

Did he post this subsequent to her death?
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Doesn't look like her.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    nunu said:

The family seems to have shown plenty of stiff upper lip. It's others. It's not their tragedy. We can all be shocked and sad, we should be. But there comes a point when we should withdraw. What happens next? The public demands the kids are wheeled out? No thank-you.

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

RoyalBlue said:

A State funeral is required.
    Serious Q - have her family even buried her yet?

This is unseemly.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Did he post this subsequent to her death?
    Day before.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

They knew it was Leave's rally, and they deliberately went there to disrupt and protest.

Therefore your claim that "how was she to know LEAVE wouldn't let it be a peaceful protest" is false, since she herself was going there to cause disruption. She knew the risks.

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Rachel Johnson was with Geldorf, Jo Cox was not on the rib or with Geldorf - assume she was in her constituency
    The River was on Weds.

I suspect she was on Geldofs boat and took the picture from it as he family sailed past, the put it on her Twitter.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Youre the on who keeps saying it.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

RoyalBlue said:

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Surely we trust the parents to make the right decisions. Should they have anticipated Leave supporters would spray their children with water? Were they mistaken to believe that adults would not act in that way?

• Options

nunu said:

The family seems to have shown plenty of stiff upper lip. It's others. It's not their tragedy. We can all be shocked and sad, we should be. But there comes a point when we should withdraw. What happens next? The public demands the kids are wheeled out? No thank-you.

There is no public demand; it is our political establishment exploiting events in a desperate attempt to keep our current oligarchic system in place.

They will stop at nothing to win.
  • Options
    OUT said:

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Doesn't look like her.
    So she's a bad mother & her husband's a liar.....
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

I really hope not - It e vote

But It's the kind of thing lots of parents would get pulled up for and prosecuted.

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

I really hope not - It does seem to have bvent before the vote

She lived in a barge in London with her family and no you do not get arrested for peacefully protesting
  • Options
    EPG said:

Mr. Putney, I must agree.

Also interesting to compare this with the reaction to Lee Rigby's death.

Well, go on, compare it! Sometimes people are afraid to write what they mean. Surely if PB is anything, it is a safe space for LEAVE.
    Make no mistake, REMAIN are using a mother's death for political gain.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

RoyalBlue said:

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

Surely we trust the parents to make the right decisions. Should they have anticipated Leave supporters would spray their children with water? Were they mistaken to believe that adults would not act in that way?

The kids were wearing life jackets - but as ever, for some reason LEAVErs seem determined to dispute facts 'It wasn't political/He didn't say Britain First'.......why is that?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

'

Would you admit to voting leave in this sort of climate. Remember what happened to anyone who didnt support the diana emoting in 1997
    The Diana sentiment was real for a time the monarchy was in danger but this is undecideds shifting not committed Leavers
  • Options
    Looks like Mrs Cox, perhaps it's someone else?

Add the missing h to Url

ttps://twitter.com/ThisWasEngland/status/744522328378310660
  • Options
    Sky also pointing to the HOC tributes tomorrow.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

I really hope not - It e vote

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

I really hope not - It does seem to have bvent before the vote

eople ?

She lived in a barge in London with her family and no you do not get arrested for peacefully protesting
    each to their own of course, but I wouldn;t bring my kids to a fractious demo.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

madness
    I was surprised at the amount of international coverage her death got. It tied into a narrative of a referendum that had got very nasty. That might explain part of it.
    Our media covered the Anna Lindh and Gabby Giffords shootings not any minor memorial rallies after
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

RoyalBlue said:

A State funeral is required.
    Serious Q - have her family even buried her yet?

This is unseemly.

Murder victims are seldom laid to rest quickly. It's another horrible detail for their families to deal with.

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

OUT said:

OUT said:

They knew it was Leave's rally, and they deliberately went there to disrupt and protest.
    So only LEAVE are allowed to use the Thames?

And protest isn't allowed?

And only LEAVE are allowed to spray small children with river water.....
This discussion has been closed.