Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s 10/1 on a second EU Referendum being held before July

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,124

El_Dave said:

I think a general election mandate to leave the EU is more likely. Probably the Conservatives with a Leave supporting leader.

France did something similar after their referendum rejecting the EU Constitution. Mr Sarkozy made signing the Lisbon Treaty part of his presidential election platform.

I think I agree with that.

It is not possible for ~ 50 per cent of the population to want to leave (and probably a further 20 per cent to want significant EU reform) without one of the major parties becoming explicitly anti-EU.

There are just too many votes to be gathered in bashing the EU. (And after all, that is basically one of the reasons Cameron got his majority)

I think it will be the Tories that becomes a Leaver party, but it is not out of the question it could be Labour.
    Or UKIP could become one of the major parties
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944
    John_M said:

RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

Good afternoon, everyone.

Another referendum next year? Oh. How exciting. :dismal face:

We could get excited if it was a further referendum on AV...

Next year the Germans and French have their elections, and I cannot see either of those rolling out a much changed deal for us before those were out of the way.

I could see the possibility of one when the article 50 proposals are finalised, but suspect those will not give us advantageous terms.
    As soon as Article 50 is invoked the rebate is dead - whatever happens subsequently. And since returning would involve both the Euro and Shengen I can't see it happening in decades....assuming either the EU or UK are around in decades.
    Surely it is only dead once we leave the EU?
    Yes - but since we aren't at the table for our exit deal - and if we don't like what's offered - tough - they just have to wait two years and we're out.
    Without wishing to sound difficult, it is my understanding, though I could be wrong, that we have something that they may want, like for example, access to our market. It isn't like we are naked with no bargaining chips is it?
    Both sides are ultimately bound by WTO rules. It's not a scene from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

We, collectively, cannot have things both ways.

A common complaint about the EU is that is corporatist and heavily influenced by big business. If that is true, they will be heavily incentivized by those big businesses to get a deal made as quickly as possible.

If we believe that the EU is not corporatist, then we have a purely political negotiation, where, for example, France just tells us to fuck off (assuming that by some miracle France has bound and gagged Germany and locked it in a closet somewhere).

In reality, it's likely to be somewhere in between, with individual EU countries seeking sectorial advantage that align with their national interests. That varies wildly. We're Germany's #3 export market behind the US and France. Croatia probably doesn't give a hoot what we do (I haven't checked that assertion for veracity ;) ).
    Broadly agree.

The reality is that negotiations will be dealing with competing interests of which access to our markets is a large one. We have cards to play and in the event of a leave vote I expect them to be played to our advantage.
  • Options

Boris to be PM by 1st Jan at 8/1 seems tasty. But I've lost enough this year so far, so unless there's an upturn with my remaining POTUS related bets I'll probably not go for it.

Correct decision ...... Boris ain't going to be PM by 01.01.16 or at any other time, he has nowhere near enough supporters amongst the Tory MPS to give him any realistic chance of winning.
    Btw, many thanks for the link to the earliest declaring councils as regards the referendum vote. You mentioned 2 or 3 of the contenders incl my own area, Wandsworth, but once again it seems Sunderland look virtually certain to win this race by a country mile.
    The big question, from a betting perspective, is what exactly can we take from their result?
    Good question. Some say that the Nissan factory will be a factor. Observer newspaper says that more interesting will be two other early results (but not 1st) of Newcastle and Hartlepool. If Newcastle goes Leave then it looks like its all over for Remain. Hartlepool will probably be Leave.
    I don't think the Nissan employees need be too worried - if European sales of their companies products are endangered, then what does this mean for the likes of VW, BMW, Mercedes, etc, etc, etc?. Trade tariffs are just never going to happen.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    rcs1000 said:

I think your last paragraph is spot on. Germany will want continued tariff free access for cars to the UK; France will want an end to financial market passporting; and Poland will want continued freedom of Labour.

The combination of us not knowing exactly what relationship we want with the EU, and each different EU country having different red lines could make the discussions pretty interesting.

We listen to the Brexit lot talk about the trade deals they’re going to make with Europe after we leave, and the blithe insouciance that what they’re offering instead of EU membership is a divorce where you can still have sex with your ex. They reckon they can get out of the marriage, keep the house, not pay alimony, take the kids out of school, stop the in-laws going to the doctor, get strict with the visiting rights, but, you know, still get a shag at the weekend and, obviously, see other people on the side.

Really, that’s their best offer? That’s the plan? To swagger into Brussels with Union Jack pants on and say: “ ’Ello luv, you’re looking nice today. Would you like some?”
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,987

AnneJGP said:

Next year the Germans and French have their elections, and I cannot see either of those rolling out a much changed deal for us before those were out of the way.

I could see the possibility of one when the article 50 proposals are finalised, but suspect those will not give us advantageous terms.
    As soon as Article 50 is invoked the rebate is dead - whatever happens subsequently. And since returning would involve both the Euro and Shengen I can't see it happening in decades....assuming either the EU or UK are around in decades.
    Again not true. There is no change in our legal relationship with the EU until we leave. Invoking Article 50 does not remove our veto.
    The count down clock starts ticking - and in two years we would be out. If we were to try a reverse ferret then I doubt we would get friendly terms.

I thought you chaps were keen to leave?
    I am keen to leave. I am just pointing out the idiocy of you claiming that once we invoke Article 50 we would no longer have the rebate. Once we invoke Article 50 the rebate and our ability to protect it does not change until we leave the EU at which point of course it no longer matters.
    The comment was in the context of a "second referendum" - the topic of the thread. But if you think we would get better terms (including keeping the rebate) in a new deal you've got more faith in the EU than I have!
    I have no interest in a second referendum. I want out.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    F1: just glancing at the figures so far. On a hedged basis I've only got 5/17 weekend bets [not including the Verstappen one] right. That does, however, equate to a small profit at this stage.

Bit of an unusual state of play, I think. Perhaps indicative of some bad luck preventing wins, and some good luck bringing in long odds bets.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

AnneJGP said:

Yes - but since we aren't at the table for our exit deal - and if we don't like what's offered - tough - they just have to wait two years and we're out.
    Without wishing to sound difficult, it is my understanding, though I could be wrong, that we have something that they may want, like for example, access to our market. It isn't like we are naked with no bargaining chips is it?
    But do they want access to our market as much as we want access to theirs?

And are we trying to preserve some grand project where a little pain might be worth it "pour encourager les autres"?

This is SINDYRef revisited where the Nats thought they held all the cards...
    I think the question you have to ask is how strong is the hand they are holding.

Is the Euro zone a land of economic strength that can bear the reduction in access to the UK, for £289 billion in exports, or is it riddled with debt, deflation and austerity?

We've never had a stronger hand to play.
    The Eurozone does have a massive trade surplus to play with, mind. For 2015 it was something like EUR300bn, which actually about 15% more than China's surplus. (These numbers are from memory, but they'll be roughly right.)
    Problem is that it needs all the money it can get to cover fragile economies in the Eurozone or the Germans get the bills. All of them. That may make them a little unhappy.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

I think your last paragraph is spot on. Germany will want continued tariff free access for cars to the UK; France will want an end to financial market passporting; and Poland will want continued freedom of Labour.

The combination of us not knowing exactly what relationship we want with the EU, and each different EU country having different red lines could make the discussions pretty interesting.

We listen to the Brexit lot talk about the trade deals they’re going to make with Europe after we leave, and the blithe insouciance that what they’re offering instead of EU membership is a divorce where you can still have sex with your ex. They reckon they can get out of the marriage, keep the house, not pay alimony, take the kids out of school, stop the in-laws going to the doctor, get strict with the visiting rights, but, you know, still get a shag at the weekend and, obviously, see other people on the side.

Really, that’s their best offer? That’s the plan? To swagger into Brussels with Union Jack pants on and say: “ ’Ello luv, you’re looking nice today. Would you like some?”
    That was a shitty analogy the first time you posted it, and it hasn't improved with age.
  • Options
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Boris to be PM by 1st Jan at 8/1 seems tasty. But I've lost enough this year so far, so unless there's an upturn with my remaining POTUS related bets I'll probably not go for it.

Correct decision ...... Boris ain't going to be PM by 01.01.16 or at any other time, he has nowhere near enough supporters amongst the Tory MPS to give him any realistic chance of winning.
    Btw, many thanks for the link to the earliest declaring councils as regards the referendum vote. You mentioned 2 or 3 of the contenders incl my own area, Wandsworth, but once again it seems Sunderland look virtually certain to win this race by a country mile.
    The big question, from a betting perspective, is what exactly can we take from their result?
    If Sunderland is less than 53% for Leave then Remain will win, from demograhic profile. At least that was the verdict when discussed on here a week or two back.
    Apparently a Voodo poll in the Sunderland echo has leave on 70%. I will watch those results with interest.
    Though does the Sunderland counting area include some places outside the city?
    No idea.

I'll be at a count I suspect, but will be watching Sunderland, Hartlepool and Newcastle with interest.

If it's heavy one way or another we will at least have a feel of the night.
    I would expect Sunderland to be 6-8% more friendly to Leave than the country as a whole. If it wasn't for Nissan, I'd say 12-15% more friendly.
    If it is then the WWC are going to deliver Cameron a h**l of a thumping.
    I think that is inevitable, irrespective of whether its 51% to Leave or 49%.
    I have no idea how it plays if England votes out and the Scots keep us in. Of course, I appreciate that Cameron will play the One Nation card, but even so. That would be ghastly.
    It would be a Farage wet dream!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059

rcs1000 said:

If Sunderland is less than 53% for Leave then Remain will win, from demograhic profile. At least that was the verdict when discussed on here a week or two back.
    Apparently a Voodo poll in the Sunderland echo has leave on 70%. I will watch those results with interest.
    If Sunderland is more than 60% for Leave, I think we can reasonably assume a Leave victory. (85%+ probability).

On the other hand, if it's below 50% for Leave, I'd flip it, and assume a similar likelihood for Remain.

I would point out that local papers' voodoo polls do not have a good record. I remember in the famous battle for Bedfordshire North in 1992, when the local newspaper had the Labour candidate Pat Hall on something like 50%, with the Conservatives on 35% and the Alliance Social and Liberal Democrats on about 10%. The eventual result did not look anything like that.
    I agree. The only caveat is that I would say 53% plus for leave is good.

Voodoo polls are voodoo polls. For amusement only. Just thought I would mention it for the sake of amusement.
    Hmmm... interesting. I think you're optimistic, because UKIP got 80% more votes in the Sunderland seats than in the country as a whole (22% vs 14%). If we assume (simplistically) that Leave vote share correlates well with UKIP percentage, then this should be top 25% result for Leave.

For that reason, I think 55% is the vote share where Leave should become overall (51%) favourites.

Put it another way, I can't see Leave outpolling their national share by just 2% in Sunderland.
  • Options

I don't think the Nissan employees need be too worried - if European sales of their companies products are endangered, then what does this mean for the likes of VW, BMW, Mercedes, etc, etc, etc?. Trade tariffs are just never going to happen.

But that only considers one part one of actor.

BMW (Germany) want to sell cars, but so do France (Renault) and Italy (Fiat)

They might be prepared to accept tariffs on UK car sales (a few million customers), as long as they can all sell into China (a few billion customers) at preferential rates
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    HYUFD said:

"Every single 2016 presidential TV ad currently airing in a battleground state is either from Hillary Clinton's campaign or the Democratic outside groups supporting her."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/clinton-democrats-dominate-2016-battleground-airwaves-n594676

Interesting. We saw Trump's poll numbers slip when the opposition to him in the GOP primaries went into overdrive but he was able to pull it back. Are we seeing the same effect now, and will Hillary run out of ammo by November?
    Kerry and Romney were effectively destroyed over the summer by Bush and Obama negative ads, Hillary is trying to do the same to Trump
    Yep but they were dummies up against a sitting POTUS.

Trump is getting all his own negatives out there from the get go. Very smart. Clinton's ads can have no further appreciable effect.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

If Sunderland is more than 60% for Leave, I think we can reasonably assume a Leave victory. (85%+ probability).

On the other hand, if it's below 50% for Leave, I'd flip it, and assume a similar likelihood for Remain.

I would point out that local papers' voodoo polls do not have a good record. I remember in the famous battle for Bedfordshire North in 1992, when the local newspaper had the Labour candidate Pat Hall on something like 50%, with the Conservatives on 35% and the Alliance Social and Liberal Democrats on about 10%. The eventual result did not look anything like that.

Voodoo polls are voodoo polls. For amusement only. Just thought I would mention it for the sake of amusement.
    Hmmm... interesting. I think you're optimistic, because UKIP got 80% more votes in the Sunderland seats than in the country as a whole (22% vs 14%). If we assume (simplistically) that Leave vote share correlates well with UKIP percentage, then this should be top 25% result for Leave.

For that reason, I think 55% is the vote share where Leave should become overall (51%) favourites.

Put it another way, I can't see Leave outpolling their national share by just 2% in Sunderland.
    Fair enough... I heard the 53% figure elsewhere. I am happy to take your analysis on board and say 55% and above is the marker.
  • Options
    Patrickdamus the Seer has thrown his chicken bones, licked a toad, eaten a magic mushroom and seen the future: Remain will get it by the very tiniest of margins. This will cause a never ending seam of woe to be mined for as long as anyone wishes to blame something on it. But...fear not good Leavers. The EU is not going to survive the coming recession unmolested. Big banks will fail, the ECB will not be able to backstop bank or national failures and the Euro meets its moment. A shitstorm of galactic proportions engulfs the EU elite as they seek to make it a country. The EU project is visibly and manifestly failing all its members as the UK has its second EU referendum in a decade and votes decisively this time to get the fuck out of Dodge.
  • Options
    John_M said:

That was a shitty analogy the first time you posted it, and it hasn't improved with age.

And yet it remains the Brexit plan in its entirety. That's one reason I am not voting for it
  • Options

Problem is that it needs all the money it can get to cover fragile economies in the Eurozone or the Germans get the bills. All of them. That may make them a little unhappy.

While I know I'm in a minority of one on here, I think we overestimate the fragility of the Eurozone, and underestimate the fragility of the UK.

Whether we are looking at current account, budget deficit, or private sector debt, pretty much every Eurozone country is in much better shape that 2008. We, on the other hand, are in much worse shape.
  • Options

F1: just glancing at the figures so far. On a hedged basis I've only got 5/17 weekend bets [not including the Verstappen one] right. That does, however, equate to a small profit at this stage.

Bit of an unusual state of play, I think. Perhaps indicative of some bad luck preventing wins, and some good luck bringing in long odds bets.

By my reckoning, after your 250/1 triumph, you could afford to have 3 losers per race at every Grand Prix over the next 4 years and still finish ahead. Btw have you formally received your gong yet from OGH?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,775

John_M said:

RobD said:

Both sides are ultimately bound by WTO rules. It's not a scene from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

We, collectively, cannot have things both ways.

A common complaint about the EU is that is corporatist and heavily influenced by big business. If that is true, they will be heavily incentivized by those big businesses to get a deal made as quickly as possible.

If we believe that the EU is not corporatist, then we have a purely political negotiation, where, for example, France just tells us to fuck off (assuming that by some miracle France has bound and gagged Germany and locked it in a closet somewhere).

In reality, it's likely to be somewhere in between, with individual EU countries seeking sectorial advantage that align with their national interests. That varies wildly. We're Germany's #3 export market behind the US and France. Croatia probably doesn't give a hoot what we do (I haven't checked that assertion for veracity ;) ).
    Broadly agree.

The reality is that negotiations will be dealing with competing interests of which access to our markets is a large one. We have cards to play and in the event of a leave vote I expect them to be played to our advantage.
    We have cards to play, but it's unlikely the deal will be to our advantage. That's because the EU is control of the process and the timetable, it is bigger than we are and therefore needs the deal less, and because a lot of the things other countries want - business that happens in the UK thanks to its membership of the EU - would fall to them anyway in the absence of a deal.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

They might be prepared to accept tariffs on UK car sales (a few million customers), as long as they can all sell into China (a few billion customers) at preferential rates
    Why would you think China will give the EU better trade rates than it does now just because the UK has left? Surely they are not connected in that sense and the China deal will be years off in any case.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Scott_P said:

shows how little you understand the car industry.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

While I know I'm in a minority of one on here, I think we overestimate the fragility of the Eurozone, and underestimate the fragility of the UK.

Whether we are looking at current account, budget deficit, or private sector debt, pretty much every Eurozone country is in much better shape that 2008. We, on the other hand, are in much worse shape.

Shhhhh.

Leavers don't listen to experts
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Though does the Sunderland counting area include some places outside the city?
    No idea.

I'll be at a count I suspect, but will be watching Sunderland, Hartlepool and Newcastle with interest.

If it's heavy one way or another we will at least have a feel of the night.
    I thought UKIP was on for a good night with the early results from the NE last May, but they outperformed their national vote there. I suspect the Brexot vote will be the same. 60% or more for Brexit would be clear, as would a Remain win, but in the fifties, I would not be sure.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Well, make it two. I didn't want a referendum in 2016. But it's the only one on offer. I think there are only three EZ countries still running >3% deficits, so they've come a long way.

The issue for them is that it isn't unwinding their other economic indicators, like unemployment, or at least, not at any great pace.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

Shhhhh.

Leavers don't listen to experts
    Doesnt say much for Conservative economic polices. The country's in worse shape than under Brown
  • Options

Why would you think China will give the EU better trade rates than it does now just because the UK has left? Surely they are not connected in that sense and the China deal will be years off in any case.

We did this a few weeks ago. BMW already sells more cars in China than it does in the UK. The UK is not the most important market for EU car sales. Tariffs on UK sales would not see the end of the EU car industry
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, I prefer to think that someone who put a week's wages on it can take a five year holiday from work :p

Nice fluke, but I'm not including it in the figures (wasn't mentioned during the weekend articles). As I've said before, I'm toying with the idea, if I'm ok at the season's end, of using some of that money for a small stakes spread account.

I still await the Golden Wiffle Stick.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

We did this a few weeks ago. BMW already sells more cars in China than it does in the UK. The UK is not the most important market for EU car sales. Tariffs on UK sales would not see the end of the EU car industry
    Sorry, we know China is a vast market, but you said preferential rates, not current rates.
  • Options

Mr. Putney, I prefer to think that someone who put a week's wages on it can take a five year holiday from work :p

Nice fluke, but I'm not including it in the figures (wasn't mentioned during the weekend articles). As I've said before, I'm toying with the idea, if I'm ok at the season's end, of using some of that money for a small stakes spread account.

I still await the Golden Wiffle Stick.

I lost £12 on my spread bet
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    So the thing is going to be announced by constituency, like a GE (but with a running total of votes cast for each side), or by region or what?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

chortle

BMWs most popular model in the UK is the 3 series. All right hand three series worldwide are made in South Africa. BMWs next most popular model is the Mini which is made in Oxford.

BMW will not suffer. The people who will suffer are VW, Audi and Mercedes whose models mostly come from Germany.
  • Options

Sorry, we know China is a vast market, but you said preferential rates, not current rates.

If the UK rates go up from their current zero, that makes the Chinese rates preferential than they are now
  • Options

So the thing is going to be announced by constituency, like a GE (but with a running total of votes cast for each side), or by region or what?

By council area
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,986

By "counting area". See the wiki page for more details
  • Options

BMWs next most popular model is the Mini which is made in Oxford.

...for now
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited June 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Whenever I hear stories about the so-called fragility of the eurozone I file them as British propaganda - and in particular, as propaganda for that nest of financial traders, money launderers and big-time spivs powerhouse of British industry called Monte Carlo the City of London.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

BMWs next most popular model is the Mini which is made in Oxford.

...for now
    Even funnier, it shows you have no idea of how factories work.
  • Options

I think its like indyref, with council areas announcing total votes. then you get a running national total.

(Post-indyref, we also got breakdown of votes by constituency and ward, so it was counted like a GE).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If the UK rates go up from their current zero, that makes the Chinese rates preferential than they are now
    All that does it make it harder to sell German made cars, not any easier anywhere does it?
  • Options
    Mr. P, as I said, I was very surprised by the low attrition rate. Few reliability issues and no real crashes was not the expectation of most people.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I don't know how accurate or otherwise this figure is or what demographics it's based on.
    But for what I believe to be a predominantly WWC area, a target of 53% Leave vote to indicate an overall UK win does not appear to be an insuperable hurdle, but of course I could be wrong.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

"Every single 2016 presidential TV ad currently airing in a battleground state is either from Hillary Clinton's campaign or the Democratic outside groups supporting her."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/clinton-democrats-dominate-2016-battleground-airwaves-n594676

Interesting. We saw Trump's poll numbers slip when the opposition to him in the GOP primaries went into overdrive but he was able to pull it back. Are we seeing the same effect now, and will Hillary run out of ammo by November?
    Kerry and Romney were effectively destroyed over the summer by Bush and Obama negative ads, Hillary is trying to do the same to Trump
    Yep but they were dummies up against a sitting POTUS.

Trump is getting all his own negatives out there from the get go. Very smart. Clinton's ads can have no further appreciable effect.
    We will see but it will be a relentless onslaught over the next month or two
  • Options

I know how the Peugeot factory at Ryton works.

Oh, wait...
  • Options

All that does it make it harder to sell German made cars, not any easier anywhere does it?

It makes it easier to sell EU cars anywhere except the UK
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    John_M said:

I have no idea how it plays if England votes out and the Scots keep us in. Of course, I appreciate that Cameron will play the One Nation card, but even so. That would be ghastly.

If Britain votes Remain by a small margin, then there will be many demographics which people can say "kept us in".

Two that spring to mind are London residents and Muslims.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...
    Yes a function of the EU.

Close the UK plant and move it to cheap labour Slovakia. And it's all so easy because we're in the big market and no-one can protest.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...
    Yes, your right, the EU paid to have it moved elsewhere. How helpful
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Total bollocks. Most european car manufacturers already have localised production inside China years ago.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,320
    John_N4 said:

John_M said:

If Britain votes Remain by a small margin, then there will be many demographics which people can say "kept us in".

Are you expecting reprisals?
  • Options

Close the UK plant and move it to cheap labour Slovakia. And it's all so easy because we're in the big market and no-one can protest.

So if we announce we are leaving. BMW won't move Mini production to Slovakia because reasons.

Sounds like an economic plan to me...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

No, makes no difference to how easy it is to sell EU cars anywhere except the UK where it would be harder.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

John_M said:

I will be blaming the Scots, and then transitively due to the auld alliance, the French ;).
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...

No state aid in the EU ;).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So if we announce we are leaving. BMW won't move Mini production to Slovakia because reasons.

There is nothing stopping them from doing that when we are inside the EU is there?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Shows how little you understand BMWs strategy on plant location.

Mini production in the UK is seen as a brand value.

Thank you Austin Powers.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

John_M said:

I'm not so sure about the Muslim vote.
    Has anyone seen a poll? (Not a Pole.)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...
    Sharing the proceeds of growth

Oh wait.....
  • Options

There is nothing stopping them from doing that when we are inside the EU is there?

You mean while the plant is inside the largest market on Earth. You're right, there is nothing stopping them, apart from economics. If it was outside that market, different economics apply.
  • Options

...as long as we are part of the EU. if we tell them to Fuck Off, who knows.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,775
    edited June 2016

Scott_P said:

Thank you Austin Powers.
    And Mini production in the Netherlands is not brand value?

Edit: and also Austria.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Scott_P said:

You mean while the plant is inside the largest market on Earth. You're right, there is nothing stopping them, apart from economics. If it was outside that market, different economics apply.
    China is the largest car market on the planet.

Try getting your facts straight.

It's also growing above trend, Europe isnt.

http://www.best-selling-cars.com/international/2015-full-year-international-worldwide-car-sales/
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...
    Sharing the proceeds of growth

Oh wait.....
    This is all about perspectives. After the A10 accession, both the North and Scotland dropped a rank in the EU regional funding priorities as they were no longer classed as being deprived regions.

The expectation is that the wealthiest countries can develop new businesses to replace those transferred to poorer areas of Europe. In time, this process will reduce income inequality across the EU. It's happened in France, Germany, the UK and several other countries.

I always feel sorry for people who lose their livelihoods (happened to me twice), but I can't criticize the EU for their policy.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

Thank you Austin Powers.
    The next place BMW are going to stick a Mini factory will be the States or China
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

...as long as we are part of the EU. if we tell them to Fuck Off, who knows.
    So basically making it up now.
  • Options

The Brexit economic plan, as it is otherwise known...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The Brexit economic plan, as it is otherwise known...
    based on Osbornomics
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It seems PB Bettors should be sitting with their calculators at the ready awaiting that all 8important +/- 55% vote for LEAVE in Sunderland!

The truth is however that if the exit poll, presumably again on the stroke of 10.00pm, is anything like as accurate as for the 2015 GE, then unless the result is very close indeed we can all go to bed, instead of having to wait up for a further 4 - 5 hours of sometimes very boring, repetitive and partisan discussion.
    Btw is another all-night pub party being planned this time?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,356
    Sky news saying there is going to be a worldwide tribute event to Jo Cox centred on Trafalgar Square at 4.00pm on Wednesday 22nd June to celebrate her life's work and all she stood for.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845

Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...

Slovakia has cheaper labour than the UK either within or outside the EU.
    If Leave think Brexit will lower British wages to lower than Slovakia, then they should tell us.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

John_N4 said:

John_M said:

I'm not so sure about the Muslim vote.
    Has anyone seen a poll? (Not a Pole.)
    In multicultural Leicester it is my Hindu and Asian Christian colleagues who have been Leave inclined. The Muslims that I know are either Remain or voice no opinion. On the other hand they are rather preoccupied with Ramadan etc at present so all rather tired and grumpy. Long muggy days are pretty gruelling when fasting, and also the focus is on the spiritual world rather than the secular one. I would forecast a fairly low turnout from that community, though putting up Sadiq Khan for Remain in the debate may spark interest.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    FF43 said:

Scott_P said:

Thank you Austin Powers.

Edit: and also Austria.
    car manufacturers have always used sub contractors to assemble vehicles they don't want to put through their main production lines. Magna Steyr Austria is one of the largest, as is Valmet in Finland. The VMs have simply outsourced an obscure model line they can't be bothered making themselves. This is nothing new it's been a part of the car industry since the year dot.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Scott_P said:

The fact that a Ford factory was moved FROM the EU to OUTSIDE the EU must have been my imagination.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited June 2016

Sky news saying there is going to be a worldwide tribute event to Jo Cox centred on Trafalgar Square at 4.00pm on Wednesday 22nd June to celebrate her life's work and all she stood for.

Decidedly Diana-esque, it has to be said. Some might say Sheffield-esque.
  • Options

madness
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Beware the Commonwealth vote. Leaning Leave probably.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It seems PB Bettors should be sitting with their calculators at the ready awaiting that all 8important +/- 55% vote for LEAVE in Sunderland!

The truth is however that if the exit poll, presumably again on the stroke of 10.00pm, is anything like as accurate as for the 2015 GE, then unless the result is very close indeed we can all go to bed, instead of having to wait up for a further 4 - 5 hours of sometimes very boring, repetitive and partisan discussion.
    I don't think there is an exit poll.
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, I must agree.

Also interesting to compare this with the reaction to Lee Rigby's death.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...

Slovakia has cheaper labour than the UK either within or outside the EU.
    If Leave think Brexit will lower British wages to lower than Slovakia, then they should tell us.

Quite the reverse, staying in will raise wages.

For multinationals the attraction of the eEU is they can move production and hang the consequences. As I have argued for some time, if we want to keep jobs and protect ourselves from multinats we need the same labour laws as France and Germany. Otherwise the multints will fill their boots and dump the problem on the UK taxpayer.

This doesnt just hit the car industry it's cross sector and gathering pace.
  • Options

madness
    Just caught the end of the breaking news but it really is going global involving many countries around the globe. Still waiting for full details but it apparently is her birthday
  • Options

Scott_P said:

China is the largest car market on the planet.

Try getting your facts straight.

It's also growing above trend, Europe isnt.

http://www.best-selling-cars.com/international/2015-full-year-international-worldwide-car-sales/
    I think non-China car demand is likely to be very subdued for a long-time.

The rise of Uber (and Zip Car) means that my wife and I are seriously reassessing whether we actually need a car or not.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Correct decision ...... Boris ain't going to be PM by 01.01.16 or at any other time, he has nowhereke from their result?

There will be no exit poll as there was not for indyref. However yougov did a post vote poll which came out at 10pm which was just 1% off for No and Yes and they will probably do the same on Thursday
  • Options

madness
    Just caught the end of the breaking news but it really is going global involving many countries around the globe. Still waiting for full details but it apparently is her birthday
    it's as daft as giving Obama the nobel peace prize.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, wait...

No state aid in the EU ;).
    Back when state aid was permitted, HM Treasury handed over wodges of cash to Mr DeLorean to build his cars in Ulster. This was to promote community relations and investment in the British industry. The Irish had turned him down. Needless to say, there is no thriving industry in back to the future cars around NI today.
  • Options

madness
    it's as daft as giving Obama the nobel peace prize.
    He apparently phoned her husband yesterday
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

madness
    Ludicrous and entirely politically motivated to keep the tragedy in the news cycle
  • Options

madness
    Sounds like the eve of poll Trafalgar Square rally for No in indyref, would be better to wait until Saturday
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

madness
    If Vote Leave pull this off with everything against them it will go down as one of the biggest electoral upsets ever.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Ten to one ?
    I'd like to see it nine hundred thousand nine hundred ninety nine to one.
    We've been acting like a reluctant virgin for decades.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Sorry, but a boat sailing down the Thames to the Houses of Parliament? A political rally in Trafalgar Square the day before the most important vote since 1975? Remain are not putting their thumb on the scales; they have tipped them over.

What a childish, emotionally incontinent nation we have become.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

madness
    Sounds like the eve of poll Trafalgar Square rally for No in indyref, would be better to wait until Saturday
    I assume it is going to get huge media coverage
  • Options

Mr. Putney, I must agree.

Also interesting to compare this with the reaction to Lee Rigby's death.

Well, go on, compare it! Sometimes people are afraid to write what they mean. Surely if PB is anything, it is a safe space for LEAVE.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

Most of us are at work at that time. Aren't we?
    Lowlander's mum is going to explode.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Norm said:

madness
    Ludicrous and entirely politically motivated to keep the tragedy in the news cycle
    Impeccable timing. I imagine Leave will be largely ignored from 3pm onwards with the broadcast media turning their attention to the tribute event.
  • Options
    Mr. Norm, indeed.

The Diana reaction was ludicrously over-the-top. This appears to be going to same way, with a dose of political posturing.
  • Options
    Norm said:

madness
    Of course

it's timed for the maximum referendum shroud waving on Wednesday, whereas Thursday the one week anniversary would make more sense.

Remain must be pumping this as their best chance to swing votes, but risky as it has the potential to backfire by pissing people off.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

madness
    I assume it is going to get huge media coverage
    I doubt it will get that much by then on eve of poll the media will largely have moved on and be focused on the referendum itself, the 2014 rally got a small mention and that was it. The main tribute was yesterday in Yorkshire
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    RoyalBlue said:

Sorry, but a boat sailing down the Thames to the Houses of Parliament? A political rally in Trafalgar Square the day before the most important vote since 1975? Remain are not putting their thumb on the scales; they have tipped them over.

A State funeral is required.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Some think REMAIN should fight this referendum with their hands tied behind their back by EU red tape and with their feet undercut by a cheap Polish migrant worker, while the press blares IMMIGRANTS AND FREEDOM to all and sundry.

Did LEAVE tactfully turn down the opportunity to make an issue out of the tragedies of the refugee crisis? No, they scaremongered about millions of Syrians and Turks.
  • Options
    Did PB really think REMAIN would try not to win the referendum? Did it think all its enemies were as easy as Ed Miliband? How naive.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Most of us are at work at that time. Aren't we?
    Lowlander's mum is going to explode.
    I really hope not - It does seem to have been arranged for her birthday but to co-ordinate events worldwide so quickly is amazing. It will also be interesting who the many contributors will be and how they convey their tributes. It is the last big event before the vote
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,511
    kle4 said:

MP_SE said:

I doubt many will miss him.

That seems unlikely - despite his EU views not being in vogue now, he has served his party for a very long time and in some very senior positions, I am sure he will be missed.

I'm just sad as I was wondering if in the event of a Leave win he might be persuaded to stand for the LDs in 2020, just to troll those who like to say that a man who will have been a Tory MP for 50 years is not a Tory.
    I think being out of politics is best for him and for politics. Let's hope he doesn't stay in touch like Heseltine and his increasingly embittered exhumations.
This discussion has been closed.