Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The EURef might be more like the AV referendum and not the

Comments

• Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

Forgot Chariots of Fire 1982 and Gandhi 1983 and the Last Emperor 1988 just to finish off

I'm finishing now
    Chariots is fucking shit, dated and crap. Watch it now- the editing is appalling. Embarrassing. Compare and contrast to Goodfellas which is flawless.
    Gandhi is well made, but virtuous and sanctimonious

The Last Emperor is ponderous and up it's own arse
    Deadly Pursuit is on now. 1988. BBC1
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    nunu said:

Wow. I didn't expect so many people to respond to me about having mental illness, thank you all for the support. Tbh I kinda expected people on here to suffer or to have suffered from mental illness, that is not a putdown but in my experience the "thinkers" seem to suffer more. That is just (yet another!) anecdote though.

What I'd recommend from my own experience is to adjust expectations. Look for tiny steps forward. Look at "6 months ago I couldn't manage ..... and now I can", however small a thing it is.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

Forgot Chariots of Fire 1982 and Gandhi 1983 and the Last Emperor 1988 just to finish off

I'm finishing now
    Chariots is fucking shit, dated and crap. Watch it now- the editing is appalling. Embarrassing. Compare and contrast to Goodfellas which is flawless.

The best bit about Chariots was the Vangelis score, Gandhi was good but too long
  • Options

Fenster said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

.It was released in 1980. That's when we first got to see it. Next...

Other 80s classics, film-wise include:

The Breakfast Club- shit
    Die Hard- shit, but kinda of fun
    Aliens- shit- but passes 2 and a half hours
    Beverley Hills Cop- really shit, and dated
    Escape from New York-shit, and crap
    Terminator-not bad, perhaps
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan-shit
    Superman II-OK(ish)
    Blade Runner- I'll give you this one- but ahead of it's time by at least 15 years
    E.T.- mawkish shit
    Back to the Future- shit
    Predator- shit
    Footloose- shit, shit
    Dirty Dancing- fucking shit
    Tootsie- sort of alright
    Ghostbuster-juvenile shit

Um... to name a few :)

Local Hero!!!- sentimental shit

@above

I have just objectively critiqued the above 80's classics for you

Utterly deluded, just like your politics1
    Was there a single film released between 1980 and 1989 that wasn't some variant of shit?
    Planes Trains and Automobiles
    Blimey, no one has mentioned Letter to Brezhnev or Gregory's Girl.

Get a grip folks...
    You can tell how male-dominated PB is, by the fact that nobody has mentioned The Princess Bride yet!

For reasons that are far beyond my ken, the fairer sex seem to lap that one up. Even the young'uns - a good portion of my female students could quote much of that movie word for word. (In that respect, it seems to have lasted better than that other female favourite, Dirty Dancing.)

Aladdin (early 90s, in fact it is a shocking 24 years old now!) seems to have the same effect, and that one's even further beyond me - I can't even recall it being a particularly female-centric film. Suspect Frozen will fill the same niche in the equivalent year of 2037 (=2013+24, and that really does make the early 90s seem a long time ago).
    K

I have never even seen The Princess Bride.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

viewcode said:

Anyone agree that the british sci-fi horror lifeforce was a great film ? or just me ;-)

Yes. See the link below.
    Yep just now ;-)
    A tyson film he hasn't seen ?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

I'm finishing now

Deadly Pursuit is on now. 1988. BBC1
    Yes, watching the beginning but about to head to bed
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

But filmed in 1979....Next.....

It was released in 1980. That's when we first got to see it. Next...

The Breakfast Club- shit
    Superman II-OK(ish)
    Blade Runner- I'll give you this one- but ahead of it's time by at least 15 years
    E.T.- mawkish shit
    Back to the Future- shit
    Predator- shit
    Footloose- shit, shit
    Tootsie- sort of alright

@above

The 80's -brought to you by Tyson and Andrex !!

TBF I agree with most of the above except Beverly Hills Cop-first real mainstream Hollywood film where a black man was the funny lead. Ridiculous film but great on a Saturday night-my 11 +13 year old boys LOVE IT !!!

You are forgetting Richard Prior in Uptown Saturday Night, Silver Streak and Stir Crazy, and Car Wash--- all 70's films. Much funnier than Beverley Hills Cop.

Silver Streak is notable for the fact that the genius Prior doesn't even appear until halfway through the picture. It's the Sturridge strategy.
  • Options

Fenster said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

The Breakfast Club- shit
    Superman II-OK(ish)
    E.T.- mawkish shit
    Back to the Future- shit
    Predator- shit
    Footloose- shit, shit
    Tootsie- sort of alright

@above

Was there a single film released between 1980 and 1989 that wasn't some variant of shit?

Get a grip folks...
    You can tell how male-dominated PB is, by the fact that nobody has mentioned The Princess Bride yet!

For reasons that are far beyond my ken, the fairer sex seem to lap that one up. Even the young'uns - a good portion of my female students could quote much of that movie word for word. (In that respect, it seems to have lasted better than that other female favourite, Dirty Dancing.)

Aladdin (early 90s, in fact it is a shocking 24 years old now!) seems to have the same effect, and that one's even further beyond me - I can't even recall it being a particularly female-centric film. Suspect Frozen will fill the same niche in the equivalent year of 2037 (=2013+24, and that really does make the early 90s seem a long time ago).
    Watched Aladdin last Sunday for the first time since I think I saw it at the cinema as a child, Robbie Williams' Genie is the best thing about it
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    Quiet! All of you!

"Coming To America" is currently on Film4...
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    tyson said:

tyson said:

American werewolf in london- dated shit, but Jenny Agutter gets her kit off, which is a plus

@above

So what was your best film of the 80's ?
    Blade Runner I think- though it was ahead of it's time. Then possibly Hannah and Her Sisters at a push.

But, the 70's- the Godfathers, Annie Hall, Manhattan, Last Detail, Dog Day Afternoon. Apocalypse Now, Serpico, French Connection, Klute, Nashville, Jaws, Deer Hunter, Bad Company, Chinatown, All the President's Men, Lenny, Caberet, All that Jazz, Parallax View, Marathon Man,...I'm just brainstorming for a starters.

American Cinema of the 70's is one of the most creative periods in human history...
    A lot of good stuff there, admittedly. Chinatown is sublime.

I'd add "Farewell My Lovely" with Robert Mitchum, as a close second to Chinatown.
    'This past spring was the first that I felt tired and realized I was growing old. Maybe it was the rotten weather we'd had in L.A. Maybe the rotten cases I'd had. Mostly chasing a few missing husbands and then chasing their wives once I found them, in order to get paid. Or maybe it was just the plain fact that I am tired and growing old.'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpIftdXefsE

Nicholson in "Five Easy Pieces", and "Cuckoo's Nest" also.

The French and Brits can be proud of "The Day of The Jackal" too.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Fenster said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

The Breakfast Club- shit
    Superman II-OK(ish)
    E.T.- mawkish shit
    Back to the Future- shit
    Predator- shit
    Footloose- shit, shit
    Tootsie- sort of alright

@above

Get a grip folks...

K

I have never even seen The Princess Bride.
    What about Guest House Paradiso ;-)
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558

Fenster said:

Jobabob said:

tyson said:

The Breakfast Club- shit
    Superman II-OK(ish)
    E.T.- mawkish shit
    Back to the Future- shit
    Predator- shit
    Footloose- shit, shit
    Tootsie- sort of alright

@above

Get a grip folks...
    Y
    I'm sorry, I really must take issue with your sweeping statement about the Princess Bride. I am female and I'm here to tell you that it is shit.
    And so is Flashdance.

Dirty Dancing however, is a work of staggering genius.

Can someone do this with music as well? Will save me some time when selecting albums to listen to:
    e.g. much of Sting's solo work - dull hippy shit
    Tin Machine - boring and shit
    When you consider some of the all-time classic albums from the 1970's things plunged into a pit in the 1980's. I mean, just think of what came out the decade before

Led Zep IV (the single greatest album of all time)
    Dark Side of the Moon (ok, equal first)
    Rumours (note the comment about turbulence producing genius)
    Blood on the Tracks
    Ziggy, Hunky Dory etc.
    London Calling
    Wish you were here
    Parallel Lines
    Selling England by the Pound (outstanding album)
    Harvest

The list could go on and on
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

I'm finishing now

The best bit about Chariots was the Vangelis score, Gandhi was good but too long
    Dated films and TV have an interest of their own, as they are very illustrative of the attitudes and assumptions.

The original Star Trek for example is quite dated now, but a fascinating study of how Americans in the Sixties saw their place in the world and its future.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    edited June 2016

@above

Get a grip folks...

I'm sorry, I really must take issue with your sweeping statement about the Princess Bride. I am female and I'm here to tell you that it is shit.
    And so is Flashdance.

Can someone do this with music as well? Will save me some time when selecting albums to listen to:
    e.g. much of Sting's solo work - dull hippy shit
    Tin Machine - boring and shit

@Moonbeam

It is great to see someone speaking the same lingo. 80's music is on a different plateau than cinema because so much of it was not shit, and even though I thought alot of it was shit at the time, on revisiting it, it is not actually not that shit.

I really cannot watch 80's films- inevitably they are shitter than you remember. Even the ones you think were good have been tarnished by shitness over time.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    BMG

The campaign to keep the UK in the European Union has a clear lead with just days to go before the vote, according to a new poll.

The exclusive UK-wide BMG telephone poll for The Herald found Remain ahead by almost 7 points.

The results show that ‘shy Remainers’, similar to the 'shy Nos' who were crucial to the outcome of 2014’s independence vote, could help keep the UK in the EU.

But the poll also suggests that ‘lazy Labour’ voters could change the result and deliver a Brexit just by sitting at home.

http://m.heraldscotland.com/news/14565424.EXC__Poll_shows_campaign_to_stay_in_EU_almost_7_points_ahead/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

I'm finishing now

Dated films and TV have an interest of their own, as they are very illustrative of the attitudes and assumptions.

The original Star Trek for example is quite dated now, but a fascinating study of how Americans in the Sixties saw their place in the world and its future.
    Yes it is all about context
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

And so is Flashdance.

I am thankful that not everybody lives up to the stereotype!

What the young lasses are into is an eternal source of mystery to me, but why certain things from the past persist and others fade out from collective memory, goodness only knows. Aladdin, I suspect, is for nostalgia (it's something their parents might have shown them on DVD as a kid - had to correct myself from saying video, not all teenagers even remember VHS!) and the music. For the Princess Bride, I have no idea - don't think I've ever seen it.
  • Options
    Another poll by BMG carried out at the same time, this time online, found Leave on 55.5 per cent, with Remain on 44.5 per cent, once so-called ‘don’t knows’ were excluded.
  • Options

BMG

The campaign to keep the UK in the European Union has a clear lead with just days to go before the vote, according to a new poll.

The exclusive UK-wide BMG telephone poll for The Herald found Remain ahead by almost 7 points.

"So BMG created a set of questions designed to give an idea of how they will vote in reality."

Hmmm ...
  • Options

Another poll by BMG carried out at the same time, this time online, found Leave on 55.5 per cent, with Remain on 44.5 per cent, once so-called ‘don’t knows’ were excluded.

Bleedin' heck. They're all over the place. Maybe people don't want to answer pollsters at the moment. I know I certainly wouldn't: I'd slam the phone down.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    Here's one for all you analysts. Maybe you'd like to have a go at this one, weejonnie? In the Britain First Facebook message here, what does "OCS" stand for?

The message reads "KNIFE DEFENCE AND SELF DEFENCE IS CRUCIAL TO KEEPING OUR ACTIVISTS SAFE. KNIVES ARE PREVALENT IN OUR SOCIETY. WE NEVER WANT TROUBLE, BUT WE REFUSE TO LEAVE OUR ACTIVISTS EXPOSED. SELF DEFENCE IS VERY IMPORTANT. OCS"

Hint: the "C" stands for "Commanding". And they don't mean the commanding views of the Welsh countryside.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395

Back to Telephone v. Internet.
    Presumably if BMG had only conducted an internet poll, the narrative would be Leave's momentum continues.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

BMG

The results show that ‘shy Remainers’, similar to the 'shy Nos' who were crucial to the outcome of 2014’s independence vote, could help keep the UK in the EU.

But the poll also suggests that ‘lazy Labour’ voters could change the result and deliver a Brexit just by sitting at home.

http://m.heraldscotland.com/news/14565424.EXC__Poll_shows_campaign_to_stay_in_EU_almost_7_points_ahead/

What is interesting about that is the way it is reported and it isn't clear what the underlying numbers are.

It appears to be 53ish to 47 ish once you apportion the don't knows. What it doesn't say is what they are without the don't knows.

I also think that the lazy Labour voters are more likely to be leavers than remainers.

It gets worse though as the IMF is now saying #Brexit will be OK...

http://news.sky.com/story/1713684/imf-brexit-may-not-mean-a-british-recession
  • Options
    Nunu, if you're still up, I missed your post but just wanted to add to others. Mental ill health is a terrible illness that deserves to be treated like any other. Please don't travel the journey alone. These days there is a lot of help available, albeit often from charities. Try and build a network too of people you can call on in time of need? Stay in there. As you said, lots of the best people have battled with it.
  • Options
    We can safely say that Amanda Donohoe kept the British film industry going in the mid/late 80's ?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    RodCrosby said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

American werewolf in london- dated shit, but Jenny Agutter gets her kit off, which is a plus

@above

Blade Runner I think- though it was ahead of it's time. Then possibly Hannah and Her Sisters at a push.

But, the 70's- the Godfathers, Annie Hall, Manhattan, Last Detail, Dog Day Afternoon. Apocalypse Now, Serpico, French Connection, Klute, Nashville, Jaws, Deer Hunter, Bad Company, Chinatown, All the President's Men, Lenny, Caberet, All that Jazz, Parallax View, Marathon Man,...I'm just brainstorming for a starters.

American Cinema of the 70's is one of the most creative periods in human history...

I'd add "Farewell My Lovely" with Robert Mitchum, as a close second to Chinatown.
    'This past spring was the first that I felt tired and realized I was growing old. Maybe it was the rotten weather we'd had in L.A. Maybe the rotten cases I'd had. Mostly chasing a few missing husbands and then chasing their wives once I found them, in order to get paid. Or maybe it was just the plain fact that I am tired and growing old.'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpIftdXefsE

Man- I could go on and on with 70's cinema- Straw Dogs, the Exorcist, the Omen, Little Big Man, Coming Home, Oh Lucky Man, Straight Time, The Passenger, The Fortune, Heaven Can Wait, Harry and Tonto, Harold and Maude, Being There, Rocky, Close Encounters, Duel, Solent Green, The Omega Man, The Lat Picture Show, Jeremiah Johnson, The Sting.....

I have posted this before, but I think 70's cinema is up there with Renaissance Florence as one of human kinds most creative periods.
  • Options

So ... is BMG owned by Rupert Murdoch?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    BMG EU referendum poll: (All before yesterday's news)
    Remain: 53%
    Leave: 47%

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/743951344894156802?lang=en-gb
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

I'm finishing now

It is interesting to compare films made in the period to later films concerning the period. Life on Mars got some of the gritty Manchester of its time right, but if you compare with A Clockwork Orange (filmed in the early seventies but set in the future) you see very different ideas explored. We project both past and future from our present.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,170

We can safely say that Amanda Donohoe kept the British film industry going in the mid/late 80's ?

Omigod! "Lair of the White Worm"! h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqe2brJTEFU
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

I'm finishing now

It is interesting to compare films made in the period to later films concerning the period. Life on Mars got some of the gritty Manchester of its time right, but if you compare with A Clockwork Orange (filmed in the early seventies but set in the future) you see very different ideas explored. We project both past and future from our present.
    Yes cinema when done well makes you think, goodnight
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    tyson said:

RodCrosby said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I have posted this before, but I think 70's cinema is up there with Renaissance Florence as one of human kinds most creative periods.
    And music
  • Options
    edited June 2016

BMG

What is interesting about that is the way it is reported and it isn't clear what the underlying numbers are.

It appears to be 53ish to 47 ish once you apportion the don't knows. What it doesn't say is what they are without the don't knows.

I also think that the lazy Labour voters are more likely to be leavers than remainers.

53 47 is without Don't Knows, it suggests undecideds will break two to one for Remain. The IMF says 'comparatively weaker' under a limited scenario, a recession under an adverse scenario not really a glowing assessment either
  • Options
    BMG poll good, but bizarre.

Need to see crosstabs. Too late for me to digest now.

Good night everyone.

I taped Deadly Pursuit.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

nunu said:

Wow. I didn't expect so many people to respond to me about having mental illness, thank you all for the support. Tbh I kinda expected people on here to suffer or to have suffered from mental illness, that is not a putdown but in my experience the "thinkers" seem to suffer more. That is just (yet another!) anecdote though.

What I'd recommend from my own experience is to adjust expectations. Look for tiny steps forward. Look at "6 months ago I couldn't manage ..... and now I can", however small a thing it is.

I agree. These things take a long time to develop and are rarely quick to go. Every small slice of progress is valuble, not just in itself but also as a sign that progress is possible.

Keep going. It gets better.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,170
    tyson said:

RodCrosby said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@above

Man- I could go on and on with 70's cinema- Straw Dogs, the Exorcist, the Omen, Little Big Man, Coming Home, Oh Lucky Man, Straight Time, The Passenger, The Fortune, Heaven Can Wait, Harry and Tonto, Harold and Maude, Being There, Rocky, Close Encounters, Duel, Solent Green, The Omega Man, The Lat Picture Show, Jeremiah Johnson, The Sting.....

The Devils. The Parallax View. The Conversation. The Terminal Man. The Andromeda Strain...

• Options
    HYUFD said:

BMG

53 47 is without Don't Knows. The IMF says 'comparatively weaker' under a limited scenario, a recession under an adverse scenario not really a glowing assessment either
    It isn't without don't knows it is with don't knows apportioned apparently.

And in any case here is the anti Brexit doom and gloom Fisked here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/eu-referendum-why-the-economic-consensus-on-brexit-is-flawed-a7057306.html
  • Options

HYUFD said:

BMG

53 47 is without Don't Knows. The IMF says 'comparatively weaker' under a limited scenario, a recession under an adverse scenario not really a glowing assessment either
    It isn't without don't knows it is with don't knows apportioned apparently.

And in any case here is the anti Brexit doom and gloom Fisked here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/eu-referendum-why-the-economic-consensus-on-brexit-is-flawed-a7057306.html
    Britain Elects says it is excluding don't knows but either way it is clear the undecideds lean Remain according to this poll, goodnight
  • Options
    A man has been charged with the murder of the Labour MP Jo Cox, West Yorkshire police said.

Thomas Mair, a 52-year old from Birstall, was charged with murder, grievous bodily harm and possesion of an offensive weapon the force said in a statement.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    Hmm. The Herald hasn't really helped with the way it's written that up.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I'm not too comfortable with their 'specially designed questions' to see how people will really vote :neutral:
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:
    Yes, very interesting.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

A man has been charged with the murder of the Labour MP Jo Cox, West Yorkshire police said.

Thomas Mair, a 52-year old from Birstall, was charged with murder, grievous bodily harm and possesion of an offensive weapon the force said in a statement.

Does that mean it's just 'plain old murder', or does that charge potentially include a terrorist offence?
  • Options
    So we know nothing much from this other than phone polls are better for remain and online better for leave whilst there appears to be a drift to leave?
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    I think it's clear if William wasn't heir to the throne, she'd not be with him. There is no sexual chemistry at all apparent. Natural that she flirts with the better looking younger brother
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Fascinating analysis by @wonkeymike @kevcunningham: Remainers harder to reach. Is another polling miss on the cards? https://t.co/vFNiE6Pd1n
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    I see The Times has, probably predictably, come out for Remain - albeit it seems to want it to be a narrow win for Remain with a big Leave vote sending a "thunderous rebuke" rightly to Brussels.

It's, as you would expect from The Times, a measured and well-reasoned piece, and as in 99% of cases with a Times editorial, it is hard to argue against it.

As I suspected throughout that in what was always going to be a knife-edge decision for me I would very possibly let the verdict of The Times decide it for me, like a coin toss, I read it with a degree of disappointment as it ticked off all the very good reasons why Leave would be too much of a leap in the dark and carry so much unnecessary risk for limited tangible benefits. But it finishes off with a plea for a Remain win to signal a new age of reform in Europe and Britain and those of like mind to stand at the forefront of the push for a New Europe, and a new assault on waste, red tape and anti democratic interference. Absolutely essential that would be of course if Remain wins.

A week ago I was very much in the "what the hell, i'm voting Leave" mindset. With a few days to go my thoughts are in clearer focus now.

It is going to be REMAIN for me.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I think it's clear if William wasn't heir to the throne, she'd not be with him. There is no sexual chemistry at all apparent. Natural that she flirts with the better looking younger brother
    William is more classically good looking, Harry more charismatic. Before he married Kate I once read William had a fling with Britney Spears so he clearly had something going for him
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Out of interest, what would they need to be doing - or not doing - in public to make you think there was sexual chemistry between Will and Kate? Will at the rope-line with his non-handshake hand on his wife's bottom?!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,585

I see The Times has, probably predictably, come out for Remain - albeit it seems to want it to be a narrow win for Remain with a big Leave vote sending a "thunderous rebuke" rightly to Brussels.

It's, as you would expect from The Times, a measured and well-reasoned piece, and as in 99% of cases with a Times editorial, it is hard to argue against it.

As I suspected throughout that in what was always going to be a knife-edge decision for me I would very possibly let the verdict of The Times decide it for me, like a coin toss, I read it with a degree of disappointment as it ticked off all the very good reasons why Leave would be too much of a leap in the dark and carry so much unnecessary risk for limited tangible benefits. But it finishes off with a plea for a Remain win to signal a new age of reform in Europe and Britain and those of like mind to stand at the forefront of the push for a New Europe, and a new assault on waste, red tape and anti democratic interference. Absolutely essential that would be of course if Remain wins.

A week ago I was very much in the "what the hell, i'm voting Leave" mindset. With a few days to go my thoughts are in clearer focus now.

A measured and thoughtful decision by the sounds of it.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited June 2016

I think anyone expecting the EU to reform after a vote to remain is being incredibly naive.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Bob_Sykes

' But it finishes off with a plea for a Remain win to signal a new age of reform in Europe and Britain and those of like mind to stand at the forefront of the push for a New Europe, and a new assault on waste, red tape and anti democratic interference.'

That's what we've been hearing for at least 20 years and we know won't happen..
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited June 2016

Don't think you'll be alone in swinging back to the status quo.

Do you honestly think that revolutionary change sweeping Brussels in response to a Brexit near-miss is feasible or realistic, let alone likely? (I think that's likely to be a minority opinion but some reasonably informed folk seem to hold it.)
  • Options
    DougieDougie Posts: 57
    I see that Harry's thatch is also beginning to thin quite significantly now.

The other interesting part of that piece was how Harry seems to be quite close to the Yorks - while his brother and father apparently are not. Mind you, I think Charles has been relatively open in his desire to cut down the 'core' Royal Family to his own branch once he is on the throne.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Omigod! "Lair of the White Worm"! h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqe2brJTEFU
    Oh yes
  • Options

Out of interest, what would they need to be doing - or not doing - in public to make you think there was sexual chemistry between Will and Kate? Will at the rope-line with his non-handshake hand on his wife's bottom?!
    Oh dear, I wish hadn't started this. My main interest is why has the Daily Mail started ephemeral rabbits running like this on the final weekend of EU referendum?
  • Options

Oh dear, I wish hadn't started this. My main interest is why has the Daily Mail started ephemeral rabbits running like this on the final weekend of EU referendum?
    Although I see it is not the actual newspaper front page.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Bob_Sykes

' But it finishes off with a plea for a Remain win to signal a new age of reform in Europe and Britain and those of like mind to stand at the forefront of the push for a New Europe, and a new assault on waste, red tape and anti democratic interference.'

That's what we've been hearing for at least 20 years and we know won't happen..

Yeah it's bollocks. Sad really that someone intelligent can be taken in by that line of argument.
  • Options
    ViceroyViceroy Posts: 128
    What will the likes of Bob Sykes have to say when the EU pushes our contribution fees up, inducts more new poor member states and begins forming an EU army.

"That won't happen Britain has a veto"

Oh really? And how well has that veto served us with Lisbon, Nice, Amsterdam, the Euro, the bailouts, the CAP and everything else for the last forty years?

Then we'll no doubt hear "I didn't vote for this" oh but you did. The people on here like Mr Sykes are intelligent enough to know where the project is going, so ignorance is no excuse after voting Remain. This decision is for keeps, I hope those who vote Remain like Mr Sykes are prepared to own their decision as Turkey joins, Albania joins, we're asked for higher contributions and the EU army is created.
  • Options

Plus, managed to get Game of Thrones in URI - clickbait alert.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

Good luck getting that reform.
    Hello EU we had a vote, and decided to remain. Can we have some more reform?
    No more
    No Mas
    Pas Plus
    Nicht Mehr
    Non Piu.
  • Options

And you think any massive reform in the EU like freedom of movement if remain wins, thats what is worrying most people when it comes to EU reforms ?
  • Options

Don't think you'll be alone in swinging back to the status quo.

Do you honestly think that revolutionary change sweeping Brussels in response to a Brexit near-miss is feasible or realistic, let alone likely? (I think that's likely to be a minority opinion but some reasonably informed folk seem to hold it.)
    I think we can take it as read that The Sunday Times will also come out for REMAIN this weekend. Presumably that's why The Times declared its position today, so that it couldn't be accused of aping its sister paper.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Good luck getting that reform.
    Hello EU we had a vote, and decided to remain. Can we have some more reform?
    No more
    No Mas
    Pas Plus
    Nicht Mehr
    Non Piu.
    Yep,what ever happened to britains self confidence.
  • Options

A measured and thoughtful decision by the sounds of it.
    What following what a newspaper says or thinking the EU will reform - lol
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

Though as things stand I think it's very small and marginal impacts are as follows. #1 Those like myself who see the killing on the same day as the Farage poster as a synchronicity. That the referendum rather than helping us integrate our national Shadow has simply inflamed it. #2 Centre Right Remainders who have quite bought Cameron's economic chaos argument in sufficient numbers. They'll now fear political chaos. I think these are very marginal in Electoral terms, < 1% but they'll be there.

Absolutely agree.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    Today's front page headlines:

Yorkshire Post: Rivals Unite to Honour Jo as Police focus on Far Right Links
    Guardian: Cox-killing: Far Right Links Probed
    Sun: Nazi Mania of Jo "Killer"
    Times: MP's Killer Linked to Far Right Terrorists

And.....

Daily Mail: Police Probe Killer's Mental Care

So touching that the Mail is concerned about a citizen's mental care.....I must have missed their previous campaigning on the matter.....
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited June 2016
    Dougie said:

The other interesting part of that piece was how Harry seems to be quite close to the Yorks - while his brother and father apparently are not. Mind you, I think Charles has been relatively open in his desire to cut down the 'core' Royal Family to his own branch once he is on the throne.

But doesn't that happen automatically as otherwise the numbers would escalate too much.

What role do the Queen's sister's children (ie Margaret's children) play now?

I doubt 99% of people would have a clue who they are.

Yet they are in the identical position today that Andrew's children will be in when Charles becomes King.

It's a bit odd - in the Royal family people are in a prominent position in the early part of their life - but unless they are in direct line to the throne they then drop out of things as they get older.

So when Charles becomes King it'll be Charles and Camilla, William and Kate + their children, Harry and his wife + their children - that'll total about 10 people - they'll be the main 10 and everyone else will fade into the distant background.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    Former defence chief Lord Guthrie has switched sides to the Leave campaign in the EU referendum, saying he is worried by the prospect of "a European army".
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

But it finishes off with a plea for a Remain win to signal a new age of reform in Europe and Britain and those of like mind to stand at the forefront of the push for a New Europe, and a new assault on waste, red tape and anti democratic interference. Absolutely essential that would be of course if Remain wins..

What in the last few decades or years has made you think the E.U is capable of reform? As soon as we vote to stay, Europe will be OK another crisis averted NEXT, look how wonderful and great we are. There will be no reform, no comprimise no "New Europe". Only an ever closer union. If Cameron could not acheive anything during his renegotiation than what makes you think that a Britain that has just voted to stay will get any reform. The Euro member states dominate, and remember every E.U member MUST join the currency apart from us and Denmark eventually meaning we will be in an ever diminishing minority.

Make no mistake the closeness of the result will be ignored by bureaucrats who don't have to worry about elections.

This might be are only chance to leave by the time politicians agree to another vote we will be so intergrated into the system that it will be too diffucult to leave.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    "Had the AV referendum focused purely on the merits of AV, then I’m sure the undoubted merits of AV would have ensured a triumph for Yes2AV."

Have you been smoking those funny cigarettes again?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

geoffw said:

What are we going to do with all that sovereignty when we win?
    I propose banishing the FT to Frankfurt.

I think you will find that they need access to our money markets more than our money markets need access to them. That is why London trade more $s than New York and China came to London as well.
    You do not understand why leaving the EU would be so damaging to The City.

Having explained it here a thousand times, and to save every other poster's sanity, I am not going to tell you why it would be. You can google stuff.

Here's a hint ( @Cyclefree look away now).
    I know all about this stuff. I deal with it every day at work. You have to measure this risk against the risks to the City of staying in and, of course, of all the other advantages/disadvantages of staying or going.

Still, vote Remain to save the City has a certain ring to it, no? And will go down well with many outside London, I'm sure.

No, but I think vote Remain for economic stability and national security has a certain ring to it for many ordinary voters living outside London who have just struggled their way through the last recession and are just getting back on their feet or not! Just look at Scotland, we are currently struggling with the huge down turn in the Oil and Gas Industry, along with other other job losses in steel etc. So not surprisingly, and for the first time in a long time, cross party political consensus has broken out in my family! Despite the divisions that were caused by the Indy Ref, we are all going to vote to remain in.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

tyson said:

The Breakfast Club- shit
    Superman II-OK(ish)
    E.T.- mawkish shit
    Back to the Future- shit
    Predator- shit
    Footloose- shit, shit
    Tootsie- sort of alright

@above

Yes, plenty, and many of them had great soundtracks that still stand up to today!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Happy to join you in the Local Hero appreciation society. A wonderful film. So beautifully shot.

My erstwhile colleague worked on it. Pennan is a magical place. Well worth a visit if you are in the area
    That whole area of coastline is really worth a visit on a nice sunny weekend, have spent a few weekends doing just that.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    I've not encountered Qriously before. But, they've released online polling for Monday-Thursday, putting Leave ahead 52/40, and for Friday 52/32.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    nunu said:

Make no mistake the closeness of the result will be ignored by bureaucrats who don't have to worry about elections.

When it comes to EU treaty change there are no key decision-makers who don't have to worry about elections. All the leaders of the member states worry about elections, MEPs worry about elections and thanks to Cameron's defeat over the Commission leadership, the president of the European Commission also has to worry about elections. The only possible exception would be Donald Tusk who heads the Council, but the organization he heads is a collection of heads of member states, so he only has any clout if the various heads of government are simultaneously undecided and ready to be led.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I've not encountered Qriously before. But, they've released online polling for Monday-Thursday, putting Leave ahead 52/40, and for Friday 52/32.

Aside from the horror of the attack, the devastating loss of a great MP, Mother and wife I guess we're all waiting to see what effect Jo's death will have on the result.

I'm not sure. It shouldn't have any effect but when I confidently predicted a clear Leave win this was prefaced by the remark, 'if there are no significant events.' Most sensible people will draw a line between the attack and the referendum. But not Polly Toynbee who these days is an embittered old crone.

Having said that, will it cause the thought 'what kind of Britain do we want?' Again, I'm not sure.

Having written all the above, a week is a long time in politics, which is awful because it won't be a long time for her poor family. The reality is that, notwithstanding Parliament, by Monday thoughts will be turning again to football. By Tuesday and Wednesday it will be full pelt EU ref.

Barring any further significant events I still think Leave will win but I'm a lot less confident until I see post-murder polls.
  • Options
    Just looking at the Qriosly results, that's counter-intuitive isn't? I'd have expected the murder to help Remain.

Having said that an old politics teacher once said to me: remember that a lot of people go by 'feel good.' If something bad happens it often damages the status quo.

Dunno.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    "Among voters who say they are certain of their vote, and unlikely to change their mind, Leave leads by 60% to 40%."

A 20% Leave lead?

Crikey.
  • Options
    "Immigration, too, is a major concern for referendum voters. 60% of voters believe that leaving the EU will result in less immigration to Britain, with just 6% believing that leaving will result in more immigration. Immigration is clearly weighing on voters’ minds."

That's the hammer blow.
  • Options

nunu said:

When it comes to EU treaty change there are no key decision-makers who don't have to worry about elections. All the leaders of the member states worry about elections, MEPs worry about elections and thanks to Cameron's defeat over the Commission leadership, the president of the European Commission also has to worry about elections. The only possible exception would be Donald Tusk who heads the Council, but the organization he heads is a collection of heads of member states, so he only has any clout if the various heads of government are simultaneously undecided and ready to be led.
    Leaders of the member states have to worry about elections, but their internal politics and economics are often vastly different to ours. We will always be out voted in future because we don't share the same currency.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Leaders of the member states have to worry about elections, but their internal politics and economics are often vastly different to ours. We will always be out voted in future because we don't share the same currency.
    Well, that's a very different claim to the thing about unelected bureaucrats. Of course it's true in any democracy that uses constituencies that the representatives of other constituencies will be worrying about their voters not yours, and often they'll want radically different things.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

"Among voters who say they are certain of their vote, and unlikely to change their mind, Leave leads by 60% to 40%."

A 20% Leave lead?

Crikey.

I don't believe this poll. Any tables?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    nunu said:

Estobar said:

A 20% Leave lead?

Crikey.

I don't believe this poll. Any tables?
    There's an old adage on here that a rogue poll is one you don't like ;)

Having said that, I'd probably urge some caution too.

Yes, they have published the data:

http://www.qriously.com/blog/jo-cox-murder-influence-outcome-eu-referendum/

METHODOLOGY

Qriously surveyed 2,994 adults (18+) over five days (June 13 – June 17). 1,002 interviews (33% of the data) were collected on Friday morning, following the death of Jo Cox.

All data is weighted on gender, age, region, previous voting behaviour (in the UK general election, 2015), and education level. Data is representative of UK adults 18+ in both the 13-16 June poll and the 17 June poll.
  • Options
    They aren't members of the British Polling Council to the best of my knowledge, they have no record of polling on this topic, we can't draw a trend from their previous work. Ignore is my advice
  • Options
    edited June 2016

They aren't members of the British Polling Council to the best of my knowledge, they have no record of polling on this topic, we can't draw a trend from their previous work. Ignore is my advice

Be a bit careful there though. They are US based. The poll was conducted for USA today.

We tend to 'ignore' polls we don't like ...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856

They seem to specialise in advertising research - like you I'd wait until they've got a few polls under their belts before placing too much faith in their data. As we know, the experienced poll firms are having a nightmare with weighting - so the chances of them getting this right first time must be slim.
  • Options
    I re
    Estobar said:

Be a bit careful there though. They are US based. The poll was conducted for USA today.

I really like the result this poll suggests, but i'm ignoring it.

As i understand it, it's all gathered from questions displayed in mobile apps.

I doubt the validity of this approach.
  • Options

I re

Estobar said:

I really like the result this poll suggests, but i'm ignoring it.

As i understand it, it's all gathered from questions displayed in mobile apps.

I doubt the validity of this approach.
    If polling is properly weighted I don't care if it's found from landline phones, tablets, fixed computers, mobile apps, someone standing on a street corner or scooping them off the cutting room floor.

Ok I'm being slightly facetious. But I suspect mobile polling is the future. No-one uses landlines anymore.
  • Options
    By the way, just let it sink in for a second. If they were wrong and Remain win then a 20% Leave lead with 5 days to go will go down as one of the greatest errors in polling history.

I'm inclined to exercise caution but it's a tad curious.
This discussion has been closed.