Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we await tonight’s ComRes phone poll a bad narrative is

Comments

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

I really have doubts that the concept of stock market falls or sterling falls will effect the majority of voters. Those like foxinsox with share portfolios may well be worried, lots of ABC1 types planning to vote in.

For the CDE sector it is more a case of looking at the falls in the footsie and the pound and thinking that won't effect me, but will be a kick to the elite, bankers and city spivs. They deserve it. Lets vote out.

Is that a logical (although very crude) view of how pain for the city could be viewed by two different voting segments?

It's that kind of financial illiteracy that is going to lead to a post Brexit depression that will fundamentally change this country for the worse.

Maybe that is the motivating factor for leavers....to turn the UK into such a shithole that immigrants will leave.
    I would expect UK to be a much better, fairer and more equal society after 10 years out of the EU. For it to be as rich or richer than if it had stayed in the EU.
    Fingers crossed heh....
    That's precisely it with leavers- you really are taking a leave of your collective senses.

I think we are in the worst position with regard to the EU. We are an impediment to a federal European state, to the Euro and the measures required to try and make it work in the long term. We are half in, but not committed. We should be in or out. In the Euro, schengan and fully engaged or leave. I prefer leave as the restrictive non democratic nature of the EU is an anathema to me.

Living in hope and taken leave of our senses? No. My business will be happy out, just a bit different. We will still sell in EU, USA, Japan, Australia, NZ, Canada, Russia, Ukraine, South Africa, Argentina, Columbia, develop in China, Kenya and India, and sell in UK. Our EU trade will change, but that is no implication of reduce in terms of profit or volume. It may make us improve our activities there.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    OUT said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

I have to say that the one asset that is highly likely to become more... ahhh... affordable post Brexit is London property.

An unparalleled amount of new supply coming, at a time when demand is dipping (both from EU and off-plan foreign investors).

Hong Kong property fell 60% in one 18 month stretch. I think something similar is entirely possible in London.

Which is good, because my wife would really like to upgrade.

I'm glad you think it's good that this insanity has the potential to plunge London families like mine into negative equity. I have been close to tears at times worried about my family's livelihood.
    Capitalisim/Free market
    Not fair is it.
    What a bell end!
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Man rated highly by just 2% of the voters speaks out

George Osborne
    If we remain in EU avg wage in South West will rise by £4,500 - from £26,000 to £30,500. If we leave wages will be 2.8% lower in real terms

George Osborne is destroying his reputation with such wild claims.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    Jobabob said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

I have to say that the one asset that is highly likely to become more... ahhh... affordable post Brexit is London property.

An unparalleled amount of new supply coming, at a time when demand is dipping (both from EU and off-plan foreign investors).

Hong Kong property fell 60% in one 18 month stretch. I think something similar is entirely possible in London.

I'm glad you think it's good that this insanity has the potential to plunge London families like mine into negative equity. I have been close to tears at times worried about my family's livelihood.
    Asset price bubbles rarely end well. It sadly hurts some people - and that is why as a society we ameliorate that.

What about families who don't have a massive asset to live in? There is almost always someone worse off.
    Sanctimonious bilge.
    Think about it. Negative equity is not as a big a problem as not being to afford a house - it restricts movement in the short term, but if a mortgage was affordable when in positive equity it should still be in negative equity.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,549
    SeanT said:

*sips surprisingly decent Calabrese beer*

A paean to pan-European identity is building up inside you. :)
  • Options

Prof. Stephen Fisher's updated weekly forecast:

"The probability that Remain will win the referendum has fallen from 68% last week to just 51% this week."

A massive fall.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

OUT said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Capitalisim/Free market
    Not fair is it.

Leavers don't believe in the free market.

I do. More rubbish from remain apologists!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,923

OUT said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Capitalisim/Free market
    Not fair is it.

Well this one doesn't. However I don't think I'm totally representative.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    I watched about five minutes of The Telegraph EUdebate between Boris Johnson, Priti Patel, Liz Kendall and Alex Salmond. First question was about immigration and pressures on our resources etc. Alex Salmond immediately went for the usual leftie answer about being anti-immigration/immigrants and then mentioned the BRAIN Family AGAIN, at which point I switched off. There must be numerous MP's they could invite on instead of this old nationalist retread. I'm sure the public would love to see some new faces involved in this debate. It's all getting very stale.
  • Options

George Osborne
    If we remain in EU avg wage in South West will rise by £4,500 - from £26,000 to £30,500. If we leave wages will be 2.8% lower in real terms

I honestly doubt if it is possible to fall much below 2%. Someone will still love him, maybe his family?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Asset price bubbles rarely end well. It sadly hurts some people - and that is why as a society we ameliorate that.

What about families who don't have a massive asset to live in? There is almost always someone worse off.
    Don't be so patronising. There a plenty of people who have just bought their first home and so on. It isn't any sort of an asset if you're plunged into negative equity.....
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

I have to say that the one asset that is highly likely to become more... ahhh... affordable post Brexit is London property

Doesnt anybody remember 1989..
    What makes people think it is wise or goid for the property mkt to go up in a straight line.
    We survived then and will in the future. Some correction would be a good thing although im not convinced that brexit will cause it.

• Options
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Don't be so patronising. There a plenty of people who have just bought their first home and so on. It isn't any sort of an asset if you're plunged into negative equity.....
    The trick, as with any asset price bubble, is not to be the one caught having paid the wrong price at the wrong time. People should be less worried about the value of their homes and more worried about the affordability of their mortgages.

Oh, and my livelihood depends on not making the wrong calls about buying assets. I have a bit of experience....
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    edited June 2016
    it seems what has happened in the last 10 days, undecided people giving remain the benefit of the doubt , have waited for the debates, and with horror seen Eddie Izzard, Angela Eagle, and then Andrew Neil hammer George Osborne, they were waiting to see if they could be convinced after the scaremongering and terror stories, and also seen a leave side that has united, and voiced the concerns of the British people which have been ignored by politicians of all parties over the last twenty years, this has become the voters chance to punish the establishment for not listening to the plebs, there is a quiet revolution taking place, under the surface and on 23rd June the people will make it clear that enough is enough, they will make the politicians listen. This is going to be a coup d'etat by the people, for the people. It may cause uncertainty for a while , but the politicians will have to address the concerns. They have seen that Leave is the only way to be heard, the silent majority will prevail. Dave calling everyone "Little Englanders" has really been the nail in the coffin for Remain, we are all waycist because of genuine concerns over immigration.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    edited June 2016
    rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

We're currently remortgaging and are seriously considering pulling out because of Brexit. I fear for the future.

I think anyone undertaking any serious financial transaction pre Brexit must be plain stupid. And post Brexit, does it matter because we'll all be knackered. Still it is a price worth paying for......... I cannot even thing of one thing to say here.
    I had an offer of well over £1 million for a house yesterday. People are still spending.
    An offer is one thing, a completion is another. Don't count your chickens...if the UK votes a Brexit the chances of your million pound house sale progressing to completion is about as likely as me becoming Pope.
    I wasn't interested in the offer. Brexit will make very little difference to house prices over a medium term, supply and demand is a bigger driver of price.
    There is an unprecedented amount of building in London right now: 54,000 units are under construction in inner London alone. That's equivalent (to put it in perspective) to half of the total housing stock of Luton.

International investors in London property (Singaporeans, Chinese, Russians, Middle Eastern) will likely "take a pause" post a Brexit vote. Some banks and financial institutions will inevitably scale down their London offices. London will become less of a technology hub. And overall immigration levels will inevitably fall - in a market that's being built up on the basis of a continued flow of new people.

London's property market will be an utter bloodbath.

And, while I realise this will affect a lot of people negatively, that's probably a good thing in the long term. Prices were unaffordable for too many people.
    Gest post. And when mortgage rates rise with the sovereign debt crisis there's going to be a lot of people whining to put it mildly.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,124
    Lots of video appearing at the moment of English and Welsh fans looking out for each other and staying together in the face of Russian attacks in Lille.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

hunchman said:

Monty said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

We're currently remortgaging and are seriously considering pulling out because of Brexit. I fear for the future.

I think anyone undertaking any serious financial transaction pre Brexit must be plain stupid. And post Brexit, does it matter because we'll all be knackered. Still it is a price worth paying for......... I cannot even thing of one thing to say here.
    We'll wait and see. If as I suspect there is absolute financial pandemonium we will have to pull out. It's going to be a disastrous few years for Britain and Europe if we leave. LEAVERS are kidding themselves that everything will be ok with no plan and utter financial turmoil on the horizon.
    Keep carrying on with your ridiculous propaganda. It's been working oh so well so far! Norway and Switzerland do better than eurozone economies outside the EU. Just how do you explain that?
    Yes lets follow the Swiss route to success , have the 2nd highest % of immigrants in the world . That will please the xenophobes
    Another case of not understanding causality - it's like the classic "the EU created peace" when actually it's "peace created the EU".

Switzerland has many immigrants because it is a successful economy (and indeed, society).
    The two are co related , Switzerland has a successful economy and society because it welcomes many immigrants .
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,811
    Given British hooligans aint what they used to be, perhaps like the shortage of plumbers, builders etc being filled by the Poles, we need them to stand up to the Russian for us.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,720

George Osborne

He had a reputation?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,054
    A lot of Leavers will tell themselves the financial pain is worth it. They'll only decide it isn't after the vote. That will, of course, give Boris plenty of wriggle room in the negotiations that follow. I am increasingly of the opinion that our vote to leave the EU will make no discernible difference to our position within it and that within a few months a majority of voters will be fine with that. We may never actually leave despite voting to do so. A few months of very scary uncertainty will change a lot of minds. Though 30% or so will never be reconciled, so keeping the right at each others' throats for years to come.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

hunchman said:

Monty said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

We'll wait and see. If as I suspect there is absolute financial pandemonium we will have to pull out. It's going to be a disastrous few years for Britain and Europe if we leave. LEAVERS are kidding themselves that everything will be ok with no plan and utter financial turmoil on the horizon.
    Keep carrying on with your ridiculous propaganda. It's been working oh so well so far! Norway and Switzerland do better than eurozone economies outside the EU. Just how do you explain that?
    Yes lets follow the Swiss route to success , have the 2nd highest % of immigrants in the world . That will please the xenophobes
    Another case of not understanding causality - it's like the classic "the EU created peace" when actually it's "peace created the EU".

Switzerland has many immigrants because it is a successful economy (and indeed, society).
    The two are co related , Switzerland has a successful economy and society because it welcomes many immigrants .
    Especially those immigrants with secret bank accounts and who wish to avoid oaying tax in the country they had come from.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Thanks for the heads up, some London bridging loans going up tommorow - have halved my prefund for investment in them :)
    Bottler. They all look fine...

At least for a few months.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,077
    rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

I had an offer of well over £1 million for a house yesterday. People are still spending.
    An offer is one thing, a completion is another. Don't count your chickens...if the UK votes a Brexit the chances of your million pound house sale progressing to completion is about as likely as me becoming Pope.
    I wasn't interested in the offer. Brexit will make very little difference to house prices over a medium term, supply and demand is a bigger driver of price.
    There is an unprecedented amount of building in London right now: 54,000 units are under construction in inner London alone. That's equivalent (to put it in perspective) to half of the total housing stock of Luton.

International investors in London property (Singaporeans, Chinese, Russians, Middle Eastern) will likely "take a pause" post a Brexit vote. Some banks and financial institutions will inevitably scale down their London offices. London will become less of a technology hub. And overall immigration levels will inevitably fall - in a market that's being built up on the basis of a continued flow of new people.

And, while I realise this will affect a lot of people negatively, that's probably a good thing in the long term. Prices were unaffordable for too many people.
    London's property market has seemed to go up forever.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    kjohnw said:

it seems what has happened in the last 10 days, undecided people giving remain the benefit of the doubt , have waited for the debates, and with horror seen Eddie Izzard, Angela Eagle, and then Andrew Neil hammer George Osborne, they were waiting to see if they could be convinced after the scaremongering and terror stories, and also seen a leave side that has united, and voiced the concerns of the British people which have been ignored by politicians of all parties over the last twenty years, this has become the voters chance to punish the establishment for not listening to the plebs, there is a quiet revolution taking place, under the surface and on 23rd June the people will make it clear that enough is enough, they will make the politicians listen. This is going to be a coup d'etat by the people, for the people. It may cause uncertainty for a while , but the politicians will have to address the concerns. They have seen that Leave is the only way to be heard, the silent majority will prevail.

The silent majority may or may not prevail but you can be absolutely certain they will not blame themselves for getting it wrong when it all goes t1ts up
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

hunchman said:

Monty said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

But not it's minarets.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,293
    Jobabob said:

Sorry, the people to blame are the politicians who have happily turned a blind eye to foreigners buying up property in London. Personally I think whether we stay or leave, there is a mega crash on the way. I feel sorry for anyone who's recently purchased, but the people to blame are Osborne and the MPC.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,268
    Live Telegraph debate on now. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/14/the-telegraph-eu-debate-with-boris-johnson-and-alex-salmond-all/
    Alex Salmond and Liz Kendall v Boris Johnson and Priti Patel
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

kjohnw said:

it seems what has happened in the last 10 days, undecided people giving remain the benefit of the doubt , have waited for the debates, and with horror seen Eddie Izzard, Angela Eagle, and then Andrew Neil hammer George Osborne, they were waiting to see if they could be convinced after the scaremongering and terror stories, and also seen a leave side that has united, and voiced the concerns of the British people which have been ignored by politicians of all parties over the last twenty years, this has become the voters chance to punish the establishment for not listening to the plebs, there is a quiet revolution taking place, under the surface and on 23rd June the people will make it clear that enough is enough, they will make the politicians listen. This is going to be a coup d'etat by the people, for the people. It may cause uncertainty for a while , but the politicians will have to address the concerns. They have seen that Leave is the only way to be heard, the silent majority will prevail.

The silent majority may or may not prevail but you can be absolutely certain they will not blame themselves for getting it wrong when it all goes t1ts up
    they might be relieved when Greece goes tits up, and the Euro plunges
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Thanks for the heads up, some London bridging loans going up tommorow - have halved my prefund for investment in them :)
    Bottler. They all look fine...

At least for a few months.
    True, people are still buying the Garden Centre :p
  • Options

George Osborne

I honestly doubt if it is possible to fall much below 2%. Someone will still love him, maybe his family?
    His mum, his wife and Dave, that's about it.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

If you have just bought your first house then you shouldn't even be thinking about whether or not it is in negative equity. It makes absolutely sod all difference unless you are speculating. People who are buying houses to live in rather than to make money out of shouldn't actually care how much their home is worth.

This is one of the huge problems with the UK today. People thinking of their home as a means of making money rather than a place to live.
  • Options
    The main fallers on the stockmarket today were mostly overseas miners or oil companies.

Anglo American down 5.6%

Antofagasta down 5.3%

Kaz Minerals down 4.8%

BHP Billiton down 4.1%

Glencore down 3.6%

Fresnillo down 3.1%

Royal Dutch Shell down 3.1%

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,270

"The probability that Remain will win the referendum has fallen from 68% last week to just 51% this week."

Looking forward to next weeks forecast....
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

He's way off.

Unless he has hard evidence the polls are systematically biased to Leave...
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,098
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Fuck me. I'm in Calabria, with gangsters.

I've just seen the TNS poll.

Cameron has really lost this, hasn't he? We're really going to LEAVE.

I am simultaneously excited, and terrified.

His one hope is that the fear factor will NOW kick in - that and some kind of VOW might save the day. Maybe.

How big is your mortgage, Sean?
    Big enough for me to worry about a crash in London property. But I've been aware of the possibility for a while.

So I'm still voting LEAVE.

However I do think these polls will be focussing minds. I expect a swingback to REMAIN in the next few days, and then we will go into the vote level pegging. And then a narrow REMAIN win. Is my prediction.

But what the F do I know.

*sips surprisingly decent Calabrese beer*
    You are a patriot sir. I on the other hand am currently not on the housing ladder and would benefit from Brexit if house prices fell. But I am voting IN.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    I've never got the obsession with property prices. As long as you can service your mortgage whats the real impact? All asset fluctuate in price.

It's always been the way of things
  • Options
    hunchman said:

OUT said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Capitalisim/Free market
    Not fair is it.

I do. More rubbish from remain apologists!

No you don't. You want to prevent companies from recruiting who they want to recruit.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Jobabob said:

Sorry, the people to blame are the politicians who have happily turned a blind eye to foreigners buying up property in London. Personally I think whether we stay or leave, there is a mega crash on the way. I feel sorry for anyone who's recently purchased, but the people to blame are Osborne and the MPC.
    I#d have thought news of a London property crash would be manna from heaven for all the renters.
  • Options

The main fallers on the stockmarket today were mostly overseas miners or oil companies.
    Anglo American down 5.6%
    Antofagasta down 5.3%
    Kaz Minerals down 4.8%
    BHP Billiton down 4.1%
    Glencore down 3.6%
    Fresnillo down 3.1%

Since their main earnings are not in sterling, then if REMAIN are right and sterling falls 10% to 20% these stocks will appreciate in value.....
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Quite right too. It will be down to the legacy of forty-odd years of membership of the EEC--> EU.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Sandpit said:

Live Telegraph debate on now. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/14/the-telegraph-eu-debate-with-boris-johnson-and-alex-salmond-all/

Alex Salmond's presence should boost Leave.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

George Osborne

His mum, his wife and Dave, that's about it.
    They must all be signed up to Yougov.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Good old Boris. Eight years in charge of London's housing policy and there's his legacy. Fills you with confidence for his premiership, doesn't it?

• Options
    Far more of an issue than property price fall is when interest rates finally return to historical norms. People have become totally accustomed to sub 1% interest rates which is not sustainable long term.
  • Options

Anglo American down 5.6%

Antofagasta down 5.3%

Kaz Minerals down 4.8%

BHP Billiton down 4.1%

Glencore down 3.6%

Fresnillo down 3.1%

Shhh, that's not in the narrative.

You'll be saying that Brexit fears dropped the oil price 4% this week too. ;)
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2016
    LEAVE have been on a roll for 3 weeks with the improvements in their poll positions. The question is how long will that continue? Each day the LEAVE position has got stronger. 8 days of campaigning left.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36526166

Inflation remains well below target.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

I've never got the obsession with property prices. As long as you can service your mortgage whats the real impact? All asset fluctuate in price.

It's always been the way of things

People don't understand finance. I know enough to understand that I don't know enough, if that follows.

If you're a professional, then daily moves should concern you, especially if they're illustrating a trend.

An amateur (say, someone looking for supplementary retirement income) should have a clear understanding of their own risk appetite and set an appropriate timescale for review/re-planning/re-balancing.

Personally, I look at things over a 5 year period, but that's simply because I'm lazy and have 'enough' money.

Asset values are not relevant until you're exiting. IANAIFA ofc.
  • Options

hunchman said:

Monty said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Switzerland - the world's tax haven.
  • Options
    Would the government allow a collapse in the London property market? I'd have thought they would do everything they could to stop it.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Quite right too. It will be down to the legacy of forty-odd years of membership of the EEC--> EU.
    If the left can still blame Thatcher for things, its sauce for the goose etc.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

The trick, as with any asset price bubble, is not to be the one caught having paid the wrong price at the wrong time. People should be less worried about the value of their homes and more worried about the affordability of their mortgages.

Oh, and my livelihood depends on not making the wrong calls about buying assets. I have a bit of experience....
    More patronising bullshit. Do you have a family? Do you have a mortgage? Do you have any idea how condescending you sound? Thankyou for putting me straight, there was I stupidly thinking it was best to buy at the wrong price and the wrong time.
    I'm sure the thousands of families plunged into the nightmare of negative equity (for no sensible economic reason) will take your wise words on board and they'll be a source of great comfort.

Oh and well done with the job.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,923
    Tonight's match: EU v Independent Nation. Go Iceland!

Actually, isn't it about time that the EU just fielded a single team in these tournaments?
  • Options
    @Rodcrosby Are you going in for all of them or avoiding some ?

Houses seem the most solid.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Good old Boris. Eight years in charge of London's housing policy and there's his legacy. Fills you with confidence for his premiership, doesn't it?

Getting building in London is a great legacy. I speak as an owner of property there.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,293

Would the government allow a collapse in the London property market? I'd have thought they would do everything they could to stop it.

Now that's a thought that really scares me.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

If Boris becomes PM the one consolation is that he will have a truly horrible time. I don't envy the person who replaces Cameron if we vote leave.
  • Options

How do you stop it ?
  • Options
    Great Broad Bean Rust on my veg batch with all this damp humid weather.

Even better, all the fungicides banned because it wasnt viable to put them through the expensive tests the EU requires before they can be sold - even for stuff that was sold previously for decades or even centuries.

OUT OUT OUT

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Anglo American down 5.6%

Antofagasta down 5.3%

Kaz Minerals down 4.8%

BHP Billiton down 4.1%

Glencore down 3.6%

Fresnillo down 3.1%

Yes, I think the continuing commodity glut reflects the Chinese economy in difficulty. The developed countries that did best in terms of growth in the last decade (Canada and Australia) are likely to be in for a bit of a bust.

Brexit risk is probably adding a whiff of danger too, but the BRICS and emerging economies are looking pretty ropy alternatives to the EU for our goods.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,154
    edited June 2016
    tlg86 said:

Jobabob said:

Stamp duty for foreign buyers in London of typically 8% to 15% of the purchase price is not "turning a blind eye" !

Falling prices in London will be a good thing in general, but not for poorer renters who cannot afford to buy.

The last English Housing Survey had a fall of 100k in the number of renting households in London.

It may be a good time for Northerners to buy that pied-a-terre, mind.

Gosbo is soaking the landlords, because Labour will do it anyway, and he may as well have the dosh.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,068
    edited June 2016
    hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Gest post. And when mortgage rates rise with the sovereign debt crisis there's going to be a lot of people whining to put it mildly.
    If Hunchman's supporting 'Leave' surely that gives posters food for thought. The worst financial pundit seen on here since Mike founded the site in 2004
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Let's not forget that the world economy tanked a few years ago & London property prices were virtually unaffected.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Sandpit said:

Anglo American down 5.6%

Antofagasta down 5.3%

Kaz Minerals down 4.8%

BHP Billiton down 4.1%

Glencore down 3.6%

Fresnillo down 3.1%

Shhh, that's not in the narrative.

You'll be saying that Brexit fears dropped the oil price 4% this week too. ;)
    DELETED
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

More patronising bullshit. Do you have a family? Do you have a mortgage? Do you have any idea how condescending you sound? Thankyou for putting me straight, there was I stupidly thinking it was best to buy at the wrong price and the wrong time.
    I'm sure the thousands of families plunged into the nightmare of negative equity (for no sensible economic reason) will take your wise words on board and they'll be a source of great comfort.

I doubt I can comfort you, you're upset, angry and worried. Seriously, I'm not trying to score Internet points here, but many people (including me) have been caught in negative equity and it's as worrying as hell, but it will be OK.

I appreciate my experience was back in the 90s. The long term trend line for property prices in the UK is up, and that's held true since the 1950s. As a nation, that's probably a bad thing, but too many governments have colluded to keep it this way for me to have any confidence (or you to have many worries) that it's ultimately going to change.

• Options

Far more of an issue than property price fall is when interest rates finally return to historical norms. People have become totally accustomed to sub 1% interest rates which is not sustainable long term.

But I've loved having a mortgage pegged at 0.49% above base rate.... /smugmode
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Emotional investment makes it hard to be rational. It is why houses should not be considered as investments, but homes.

If the mortgage was affordable in positive equity, it will be affordable in negative equity barring external changes.

Negative equity is one of those irregular verb situations isnt it. I made a sensible property choice (when prices go up), he makes a fortune in flipping his homes, they screwed us by crashing the economy.

Negative impacts can be rooted in causes closer to home - including over stretching, failing to take out adequate mortgage protection insurance etc.
  • Options

Let's not forget that the world economy tanked a few years ago & London property prices were virtually unaffected.

Because as Mervyn King joked - we never built any houses. If we'd had a building boom like Spain or the US surely they would have collapsed.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Roger said:

hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

If Hunchman's supporting 'Leave' surely that gives posters food for thought. The worst financial pundit seen on here since Mike founded the site in 2004
    Yes but Corbyn is backing 'Remain' so let's just call it a wash and move on.
  • Options
    Roger said:

hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Ahh, you never know - if you made financial calls you might run him close Roge!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

How do you stop it ?
    You reduce interest rates to an all time low and keep them there.

That's partly how house prices became so high in the first place - along with increased demand from population growth and people wanting to live separate lives from others (eg divorces).
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Are you seriously suggesting that building a lot of property in London is BAD policy? Probably one of the craziest views I've ever read on here.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Yes it does. Everyone has been whining about London housing prices and Boris is leaving a legacy of record house building. Problem solved, good job Boris.

Lets solve other problems next.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited June 2016
    Pulpstar said:

How do you stop it ?
    0.5% base rates.

It's amazing that they have been left so low for so long while the house price bubble gets out of hand.

The house price inflation in London and the surrounding areas is ridiculous.
  • Options
    From a rabidly left wing, anti-Tory and Eurofanatic blog. Of course I assume you were hoping that no one would go and read some of the other blog postings to get an idea of the bias of the site but would simply assume it was a neutral commentary on tax issues.

Poor show old chap.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Are you seriously suggesting that building a lot of property in London is BAD policy? Probably one of the craziest views I've ever read on here.
    Are they affordable homes? Or are they more exclusive flats for the richos? It might not be that great for the man on the Clapham Omnibus.

We keep looking at the top-line figures. 54k units? Woo! But until we get a breakdown, could mean nothing to the actual necessary housing stock increases we actually need.
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255

A few months of very scary uncertainty will change a lot of minds.

It definitely will ; it may even still do before the vote, but I'm beginning to strongly doubt that.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @LucyJones

TCPoliticalBetting Man rated highly by just 2% of the voters speaks out

George Osborne

That's not what Stuart Rose said.'

Yes, he told us that in the event of Brexit wages would go up.

That's why he no longer features in the Remain campaign ?

• Options

Brexit would be the final excuse to stop trying. Osborne's continuation of artificial props, even in the face of incredibly loose monetary policy has been one of his worst mistakes.
  • Options
    Peak London peaked in 2014 it seems.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    Sandpit said:

I switched off after a few minutes. I don't know who the female presenter is but her voice is just grating.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Getting building in London is a great legacy. I speak as an owner of property there.

Building for who? He waved through plans for developments purchased off-plan by hugely rich foreign buyers who rarely if ever visit. There are ghost blocks and streets across central London. This has helped create the bubble. And at the same time he required developers to build little if any genuinely affordable housing as quid pro quo for waving through their get richer quicker schemes. And now he pretends to care about ordinary working class people. What a complete charlatan.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,435
    John_M said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

I doubt I can comfort you, you're upset, angry and worried. Seriously, I'm not trying to score Internet points here, but many people (including me) have been caught in negative equity and it's as worrying as hell, but it will be OK.

I appreciate my experience was back in the 90s. The long term trend line for property prices in the UK is up, and that's held true since the 1950s. As a nation, that's probably a bad thing, but too many governments have colluded to keep it this way for me to have any confidence (or you to have many worries) that it's ultimately going to change.

If you're going to be using long-term trends, you're going to be telling me Greece is the next great economic success story...
  • Options
    Accordingly price adjustments have been the greatest in the prime markets of central London, where values are down 6.0% since their 2014 peak, with the highest value submarkets of Knightsbridge, Belgravia and Mayfair down by -7.3%.
  • Options

From a rabidly left wing, anti-Tory and Eurofanatic blog. Of course I assume you were hoping that no one would go and read some of the other blog postings to get an idea of the bias of the site but would simply assume it was a neutral commentary on tax issues.

Poor show old chap.

So you can't argue against what he says, Richard. You being completely disinterested, of course :-)

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

If you're going to be using long-term trends, you're going to be telling me Greece is the next great economic success story...
    Sorry Robert, that wooshing sound was your comment going over my head. Greece is a far off country about which I know little. Was this just an oblique way of telling me I'm talking bollocks?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Are they affordable homes? Or are they more exclusive flats for the richos? It might not be that great for the man on the Clapham Omnibus.

We keep looking at the top-line figures. 54k units? Woo! But until we get a breakdown, could mean nothing to the actual necessary housing stock increases we actually need.
    54,000 is probably circa 5% of the current housing stock of Inner London. At a time when London is probably adding 200,000 people a year..... There is a lot of pent up demand. Even if it is at the rich end it will enable people to upgrade into it freeing up room at the lower levels.
  • Options
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Terrible logic. Even if it is all expensive flats (which it won't be) then we will see people moving up the property ladder buying these flats freeing up their old home for someone else ... and so on and so forth down the ladder. That is why there is the phrase property ladder, people don't live in the same home all their lives.
  • Options
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

An increase in supply is an increase in supply. Every 'richo' who puts their money into an exclusive flat instead of a run down Wandsworth terrace helps avoid pricing people out. It's always been a misconception that to make housing as a whole more affordable, you should be worried about the affordability of new housing.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,068
    edited June 2016
    I just heard on ITV News that the FTSE fell to it's lowest level for... Four Months??? :open_mouth:
  • Options

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Terrible logic. Even if it is all expensive flats (which it won't be) then we will see people moving up the property ladder buying these flats freeing up their old home for someone else ... and so on and so forth down the ladder. That is why there is the phrase property ladder, people don't live in the same home all their lives.
    Yes, quite - I've never quite got this - building good quality houses or flats should be the aim; the market sorts it out for itself once built.
  • Options

A few months of very scary uncertainty will change a lot of minds.

It definitely will ; it may even still do before the vote, but I'm beginning to strongly doubt that.

No, Remain has lost the referendum.

Earlier I predicted we'd hear a lot of the word betrayal in the coming months. I also think we may hear a lot of the word advisory - as in this is what the referendum was. If a majority still want to leave the EU in six months I'll be very surprised.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,435

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Absolutely right. It doesn't matter if every property was a 6,000 square foot mansion, it would have roughly the same effect on the overall housing market (and possibly more).
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Building for who? He waved through plans for developments purchased off-plan by hugely rich foreign buyers who rarely if ever visit. There are ghost blocks and streets across central London. This has helped create the bubble. And at the same time he required developers to build little if any genuinely affordable housing as quid pro quo for waving through their get richer quicker schemes. And now he pretends to care about ordinary working class people. What a complete charlatan.

Building more housing capacity suppresses pressure on prices. The bubble is created by excess demand over supply.
  • Options

Anglo American down 5.6%
    Antofagasta down 5.3%
    Kaz Minerals down 4.8%
    BHP Billiton down 4.1%
    Glencore down 3.6%
    Fresnillo down 3.1%

Since their main earnings are not in sterling, then if REMAIN are right and sterling falls 10% to 20% these stocks will appreciate in value.....
    So what you are saying is that the fall in overseas miners and oil companies share prices today is because the pound is not expected to fall despite the increased likelihood of Brexit.
  • Options
    More shocking news: Due to the risk of Brexit tomorrow is a Wednesday.

If only Remain was secure tomorrow might be a Friday. Brexit is trying to steal your weekend.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @rcs1000

'I have to say that the one asset that is highly likely to become more... ahhh... affordable post Brexit is London property.

Which is good, because my wife would really like to upgrade.'

That's the key for my daughter and several of her friends switching from Remain to Brexit.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Accordingly price adjustments have been the greatest in the prime markets of central London, where values are down 6.0% since their 2014 peak, with the highest value submarkets of Knightsbridge, Belgravia and Mayfair down by -7.3%.

Must be Brexit...... ?
    :astonished:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,127

More shocking news: Due to the risk of Brexit tomorrow is a Wednesday.

If only Remain was secure tomorrow might be a Friday. Brexit is trying to steal your weekend.

You are looking at it completely the wrong way: remain makes next Monday closer!!! :o
This discussion has been closed.