Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we await tonight’s ComRes phone poll a bad narrative is

SystemSystem Posts: 11,722
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we await tonight’s ComRes phone poll a bad narrative is developing for Leave

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    adamandcatadamandcat Posts: 76
    edited June 2016
    Like Remain, I hope...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    As we await tonight’s ComRes phone poll a bad narrative is developing for Leave

Is it? First I'm hearing about it.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,823
    edited June 2016
    The bad narrative being a bad header title on PB?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    If Waugh is attributing stock market declines to Leave doing well, then how does he explain (as someone said last thread) the Spanish stock market declining more?

Does he think the UK exiting the EU will affect Spain more than the UK?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,691
    kle4 said:

The Brexit fears has wiped £30 billion from the stock market.

Several people have mentioned it to us this evening whilst out campaigning
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

George Osborne
    If we remain in EU avg wage in South West will rise by £4,500 - from £26,000 to £30,500. If we leave wages will be 2.8% lower in real terms

2.8% doesn't sound too bad.

Obviously will be tough for some, margins are thin for those at the bottom, but I'm curious why the predicted rise in in pounds, but the drop is in percentage.

For context I'm on £30k myself.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,616
    edited June 2016

kle4 said:

Well you REMAINERS shouldn't have indulged in such scaremongering!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Nope. If people don't have shares themselves, they're not going to see why they should care about "the markets" falling. It's just not tangible enough for Joe Public.

As I said earlier, the "Remain" campaign has not given any reasons why it's in people's self-interest to stay in the EU, except to a narrow section of the wealthy middle-class.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sounds concerning. MIght win back a few. ALthough even so much I'll bet a lot of people just won't care.

That said, I saw a story summarised as fear vs fact, which annoyed me, as some facts rightfully produce some fear as a result. Same problem I have with criticism of anything as scaremongering - it is a thing, but some things which are true are scary.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    Sounds like it's kicking off in Lille tonight. Russians going for English and Welsh fans.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    I don't know what maurice saatchi is drinking but he should give it a rest for a while

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/14/dont-want-to-leave-but-hate-the-idea-of-remain-i-have-the-ideal/
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    We're currently remortgaging and are seriously considering pulling out because of Brexit. I fear for the future.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

kle4 said:

We are warning of what will happen if you wreck the economy of this country . Why not be honest and tell us what fall in your standard of living you are prepared to pay for your Brexit pipe dream .
  • Options

kle4 said:

Were they frightened little old ladies worried about Osborne stealing their pensions ?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited June 2016
    I really have doubts that the concept of stock market falls or sterling falls will effect the majority of voters. Those like foxinsox with share portfolios may well be worried, lots of ABC1 types planning to vote in.

For the CDE sector it is more a case of looking at the falls in the footsie and the pound and thinking that won't effect me, but will be a kick to the elite, bankers and city spivs. They deserve it. Lets vote out.

Is that a logical (although very crude) view of how pain for the city could be viewed by two different voting segments?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    Sandpit said:

Sounds like it's kicking off in Lille tonight. Russians going for English and Welsh fans.

Bet Russia don't get kicked out...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

Ooh-err

@Reuters: In Greenland, some suggest the unthinkable - rejoin the EU https://t.co/i8RuMwQKGB https://t.co/REv16encsO

Is that an EU with or without the UK?
    How cool would a union of Denmark (incl. Greenland etc), Iceland, Norway (with all their islands) and the UK be? After Brexit I'm sure the Danish will be well up for leaving the EU for our Atlantic Ocean Union. :D
    Here's why that's unlikely. Exports to EU as % of GDP:
    Ireland	39.8
    Germany 22.9
    Denmark 21.5
    Sweden 20.0
    Spain 19.5
    Italy 17.8
    France 17.2
    UK 12.8
    Does that Ireland figure include exports to the UK?
    Yes, they're raw numbers. Ireland is the one country that - because it is so keyed into the UK market - might leave. On the other hand it's tax evasion optimisation industry is so important (importing and re-exporting iPads to shift the tax burden, for example) that it might need to stay in the EU to keep that position.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Are there any debates/interviews on TV tonight?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

kle4 said:

We are warning of what will happen if you wreck the economy of this country . Why not be honest and tell us what fall in your standard of living you are prepared to pay for your Brexit pipe dream .
    But we havent left yet.. Sell the rumour buy the fact remember.
    Stg to rally if we vote to brexit.. You watch
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Danny565 said:

Nope. If people don't have shares themselves, they're not going to see why they should care about "the markets" falling. It's just not tangible enough for Joe Public.

As I said earlier, the "Remain" campaign has not given any reasons why it's in people's self-interest to stay in the EU, except to a narrow section of the wealthy middle-class.

Any one with a contributory pension would be worried by the stock market.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Anyway, chaps, I'm off. Be interesting when I log on tomorrow to see what that ComRes poll says.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2016

If Waugh is attributing stock market declines to Leave doing well, then how does he explain (as someone said last thread) the Spanish stock market declining more?

They tend to move together. The GFC shifted most stock markets in unison too. On top of Brexit there are significant fears for growth, and Brexit could be the fuse for a bigger bang.

I cashed out of most of my equities in April. I may buy back in later on this year. It's times like this that I like my safe govt paycheck.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    The stocks story is potentially toxic for Leave. It might be the only thing that can save us from this fucking disaster now.
  • Options
    REMAINers on here need to be put on suicide watch. All writing Vapid Bilge.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited June 2016
    Killer's wife 'knew' of his intentions - may be charged...

'Omar Mateen's wife, Noor Zahi Salman, told the FBI she was with him when he bought ammunition and a holster, several officials familiar with the case said. She told the FBI that she once drove him to the gay nightclub, Pulse, because he wanted to scope it out.'
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/orlando-nightclub-massacre/omar-mateen-s-wife-tried-talk-him-out-orlando-attack-n592051?cid=sm_tw&hootPostID=1631d0b4632c0a40025001e8aec55bcf
  • Options
    alex. said:

Danny565 said:

Should, perhaps, not would, I suspect.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,189

kle4 said:

You have to blame Cameron for calling a Referendum if this was a risk....

The markets will over-react, then the FTSE will rise by polling day as people come in for bargains.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    The markets are understandably very jittery. No idea why the brexiteers seem concerned. Surely their narrative is that none of this matters so long as the UK is 'independent'?
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    TSE clutching at straws. Who would have thought it!
  • Options
    Man rated highly by just 2% of the voters speaks out

George Osborne
    If we remain in EU avg wage in South West will rise by £4,500 - from £26,000 to £30,500. If we leave wages will be 2.8% lower in real terms
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

I don't know what maurice saatchi is drinking but he should give it a rest for a while

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/14/dont-want-to-leave-but-hate-the-idea-of-remain-i-have-the-ideal/

I don't know what he is drinking but he is clearly ignorant about Darwinism. His idea of survival of the fittest is survival of the largest. Well, where are all the large land animals today? There are plenty of small species that have evolved quite nicely to fit their environment. It is the slow to adapt or unable to adapt that die off when the environment changes, not necessarily the small (or even weak)

In the changing economic global environment, the economy most unable to adapt is the EU. To increase our chances we are better off leaving and becoming more adaptable than the EU. That is where our best economic Darwinist strategy lies.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Danny565 said:

No they wouldn't. Anyone wanting to take a pension in 1 to 3 years may be worried by it. Beyond that it is too remote.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

The stocks story is potentially toxic for Leave. It might be the only thing that can save us from this fucking disaster now.

Talk about throwing your toys out of the pram! It was a 2pc fall. Big deal! And GBP isn't exactly falling out of bed.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986

They tend to move together. The GFC shifted most stock markets in unison too. On top of Brexit there are significant fears for growth, and Brexit could be the fuse for a bigger bang.

I cashed out of most of my equities in April. I may buy back in later on this year. It's times like this that I like my safe govt paycheck.

Yes, funnily enough we live in an inter-connected world these days. Brexit will be bad for Europe as a whole. And that will ripple out into the wider world too. Still, Boris will sort it out.

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    Monty said:

We're currently remortgaging and are seriously considering pulling out because of Brexit. I fear for the future.

I think anyone undertaking any serious financial transaction pre Brexit must be plain stupid. And post Brexit, does it matter because we'll all be knackered. Still it is a price worth paying for......... I cannot even thing of one thing to say here.
  • Options
    This is a lousy summer so far. REMAIN will point out it is due to Brexit.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Anything on this Leave claim today that they will protect all existing EU grants etc? So they are going to get back the money we spend on the EU and redirect to UK priorities rather than EU priorities, which are just going to end up being one and the same.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,027
    alex. said:

Danny565 said:

It's a benefit for us youngsters - the same stocks will be being bought more cheaply than they otherwise would.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,124
    edited June 2016

George Osborne

2003 letter from Geo. Osborne to a student constituent has just surfaced on Facebook. It specifically promises to abolish tuition fees, and GO is very critical indeed of such fees as a "tax on learning".
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

Ooh-err

@Reuters: In Greenland, some suggest the unthinkable - rejoin the EU https://t.co/i8RuMwQKGB https://t.co/REv16encsO

How cool would a union of Denmark (incl. Greenland etc), Iceland, Norway (with all their islands) and the UK be? After Brexit I'm sure the Danish will be well up for leaving the EU for our Atlantic Ocean Union. :D
    Ireland	39.8
    Germany 22.9
    Denmark 21.5
    Sweden 20.0
    Spain 19.5
    Italy 17.8
    France 17.2
    UK 12.8
    Yes, they're raw numbers. Ireland is the one country that - because it is so keyed into the UK market - might leave. On the other hand it's tax evasion optimisation industry is so important (importing and re-exporting iPads to shift the tax burden, for example) that it might need to stay in the EU to keep that position.

Ireland will not follow the UK out of the EU; 800 years of history will tell you why. As Leavers keep telling us, some things are more important than economics.

• Options

kle4 said:

And how do you explain other stockmarkets in Europe falling more than the ftse today? ! You remain apologists really do talk some pitiful crap at times!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,958

kle4 said:

Strange how the global forex market doesn't seem that bothered by the prospect...
  • Options
    tyson said:

Monty said:

I think anyone undertaking any serious financial transaction pre Brexit must be plain stupid. And post Brexit, does it matter because we'll all be knackered. Still it is a price worth paying for......... I cannot even thing of one thing to say here.
    I had an offer of well over £1 million for a house yesterday. People are still spending.
  • Options

George Osborne

2003 letter from Geo. Osborne to a student constituent has just surfaced on Facebook. It specifically promises to abolish tuition fees, and GO is very critical indeed of such fees as a "tax on learning".
    He's full of it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

Ooh-err

Ireland	39.8
    Germany 22.9
    Denmark 21.5
    Sweden 20.0
    Spain 19.5
    Italy 17.8
    France 17.2
    UK 12.8
    Ireland is not so keyed unto the UK market for its exports , It exports almost as much to Belgium and Luxembourg as it does to the UK . Their economy is growing at 4 times the UK rate , why should they threaten that success by leaving the EU ?
  • Options
    hunchman said:

kle4 said:

And how do you explain other stockmarkets in Europe falling more than the ftse today? ! You remain apologists really do talk some pitiful crap at times!
    Brexit related fears.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

kle4 said:

The EU exports a lot to the UK. Us leaving is not great for their economies either.

(There are also some specifics: Santander has a very big British business for example.)
  • Options
    philiph said:

I really have doubts that the concept of stock market falls or sterling falls will effect the majority of voters. Those like foxinsox with share portfolios may well be worried, lots of ABC1 types planning to vote in.

For the CDE sector it is more a case of looking at the falls in the footsie and the pound and thinking that won't effect me, but will be a kick to the elite, bankers and city spivs. They deserve it. Lets vote out.

Is that a logical (although very crude) view of how pain for the city could be viewed by two different voting segments?

It's that kind of financial illiteracy that is going to lead to a post Brexit depression that will fundamentally change this country for the worse.

Maybe that is the motivating factor for leavers....to turn the UK into such a shithole that immigrants will leave.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

REMAINers on here need to be put on suicide watch. All writing Vapid Bilge.

Where have all the CCHQ bots gone? Presumably ordered to spin for Remain elsewhere.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Bet Russia don't get kicked out...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36520997

"Euro 2016 violence: What do Russian fans say?"
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,321
    Perhaps surprisingly, Curtice poll of polls is still Remain 49, Leave 51.

I think that was as of last night - ie not including today's TNS.

Other big caveat is that he is using the ORB "all voters" numbers.

But even so, if there is any last minute swingback, it's still very easy to see how Remain could still win - if not comfortably then still by quite a bit more than a photo finish.

Remember what was said a couple of weeks ago - Leave needs to be a solid 5 to 7 points ahead to be confident of victory. It's still well short of that - at least at the moment.

Which is why Remain is still clear favourite.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Think we need a few successive days of the FTSE decreasing before it becomes a thing.

Good point made on Twitter, no coincidence The Sun have picked a side the day before they publish a ComRes poll.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

Ooh-err

Ireland	39.8
    Germany 22.9
    Denmark 21.5
    Sweden 20.0
    Spain 19.5
    Italy 17.8
    France 17.2
    UK 12.8
    Ireland is not so keyed unto the UK market for its exports , It exports almost as much to Belgium and Luxembourg as it does to the UK . Their economy is growing at 4 times the UK rate , why should they threaten that success by leaving the EU ?
    I tend to agree. The EU is much more popular in Ireland than in the UK. It also has a historic opportunity to grab chunks of the British financial services industry.

I'm looking to buy property in Dublin. While I wouldn't like to offer financial advice, there is an interesting Dublin REIT out there that could do very well in the event of Brexit.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Monty said:

We'll wait and see. If as I suspect there is absolute financial pandemonium we will have to pull out. It's going to be a disastrous few years for Britain and Europe if we leave. LEAVERS are kidding themselves that everything will be ok with no plan and utter financial turmoil on the horizon.
  • Options
    I'm surprised Mars is still running its Believe! advertising campaign in the footie after Sunil nailed BeLeave as the greatest slogan in living memory....
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

George Osborne

That's not what Stuart Rose said.

• Options
    tyson said:

philiph said:

It's that kind of financial illiteracy that is going to lead to a post Brexit depression that will fundamentally change this country for the worse.

Maybe that is the motivating factor for leavers....to turn the UK into such a shithole that immigrants will leave.
    I would expect UK to be a much better, fairer and more equal society after 10 years out of the EU. For it to be as rich or richer than if it had stayed in the EU.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited June 2016
    It isn't fairly soon that the IoC bend over and take it from Russia and announce that they will let them back into the Olympics?
  • Options
    philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

I had an offer of well over £1 million for a house yesterday. People are still spending.
    An offer is one thing, a completion is another. Don't count your chickens...if the UK votes a Brexit the chances of your million pound house sale progressing to completion is about as likely as me becoming Pope.
  • Options

I'm surprised Mars is still running its Believe! advertising campaign in the footie after Sunil nailed BeLeave as the greatest slogan in living memory....

"A Mars a day helps you work, rest and... post to PB!"
  • Options
    I have to say that the one asset that is highly likely to become more... ahhh... affordable post Brexit is London property.

An unparalleled amount of new supply coming, at a time when demand is dipping (both from EU and off-plan foreign investors).

Hong Kong property fell 60% in one 18 month stretch. I think something similar is entirely possible in London.

Which is good, because my wife would really like to upgrade.
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

George Osborne

That's not what Stuart Rose said.

Chaotic economic narrative from Remain.

Has Stuart Rose been buried in the Downing Street, er, Rose garden?
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Sandpit said:

Outside the stadium though. Nothing to do with us (uefa) guv.
  • Options
    philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

I would expect UK to be a much better, fairer and more equal society after 10 years out of the EU. For it to be as rich or richer than if it had stayed in the EU.
    Fingers crossed heh....
    That's precisely it with leavers- you really are taking a leave of your collective senses.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Fuck me. I'm in Calabria, with gangsters.

I've just seen the TNS poll.

Cameron has really lost this, hasn't he? We're really going to LEAVE.

I am simultaneously excited, and terrified.

His one hope is that the fear factor will NOW kick in - that and some kind of VOW might save the day. Maybe.

How big is your mortgage, Sean?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

His one hope is that the fear factor will NOW kick in - that and some kind of VOW might save the day. Maybe.

Real gangsters reside in Brussels/Westminster
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,930
    edited June 2016
    tyson said:

Monty said:

Anyone who listened to the Canadian finance minister saying it has taken seven years to negotiate a deal which isn't as good as the one we currently enjoy and saying we're mad considering leaving should take note.

Though what Canada thinks might not normally be relevant as it's Boris's number one selling gambit it becomes very significant indeed.

The economic case is becoming so overwhelming if the Remain side aren't able to sell this in the next seven days they deserve to be held responsible for taking Britain into bankruptcy.
  • Options
    tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

An offer is one thing, a completion is another. Don't count your chickens...if the UK votes a Brexit the chances of your million pound house sale progressing to completion is about as likely as me becoming Pope.
    I wasn't interested in the offer. Brexit will make very little difference to house prices over a medium term, supply and demand is a bigger driver of price.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,570
    tyson said:

philiph said:

Do any of us political obsessives really think the average voter is aware of the current stock market level?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

Ooh-err

Ireland	39.8
    Germany 22.9
    Denmark 21.5
    Sweden 20.0
    Spain 19.5
    Italy 17.8
    France 17.2
    UK 12.8
    I tend to agree. The EU is much more popular in Ireland than in the UK. It also has a historic opportunity to grab chunks of the British financial services industry.

I'm looking to buy property in Dublin. While I wouldn't like to offer financial advice, there is an interesting Dublin REIT out there that could do very well in the event of Brexit.
    Yes I am sure that if Leave wins a few like yourself will be able to feather your own nests and that it does not concern you that it will be at the expense of the majority of those you are urging to vote leave ..
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    On Guido this afternoon.

After yesterday’s gold standard ICM online and phone polls showing a robust Leave lead, TNS have released new figures showing 47% for Out and 40% for In. This means Leave are now ahead seven points – higher than any poll since YouGov’s nine point lead for Out in February. Remain have won just one poll in the last seven days…

This poll was embargoed til 6pm but the embargo was busted by the Times and Britain Elects
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I have to say that the one asset that is highly likely to become more... ahhh... affordable post Brexit is London property.

An unparalleled amount of new supply coming, at a time when demand is dipping (both from EU and off-plan foreign investors).

Hong Kong property fell 60% in one 18 month stretch. I think something similar is entirely possible in London.

I'm glad you think it's good that this insanity has the potential to plunge London families like mine into negative equity. I have been close to tears at times worried about my family's livelihood.
  • Options

George Osborne

Ive has several business people remark Osborne is creating a slowdown ahead of the 23rd to be followed by opening the taps if he wins.

And I didn't even propmpt them !
  • Options

tyson said:

philiph said:

Do any of us political obsessives really think the average voter is aware of the current stock market level?
    Only if it makes the front pages.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Stock market changes within a range that would not normally be considered newsworthy or exceptional ... with the UK markets fareing better than their European counterparts.

It's almost as if Brexit is nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

Ooh-err

Ireland	39.8
    Germany 22.9
    Denmark 21.5
    Sweden 20.0
    Spain 19.5
    Italy 17.8
    France 17.2
    UK 12.8
    Rob, I calculated the UK figure with quite a bit of accuracy recently and it was something like 9.8% of GDP rather than the the ONS figure which doesn't take into account re-exports and re-imports. The German figure is also significantly lower than that IMO, but I don't have the numbers to back that feeling up.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

George Osborne

Ive has several business people remark Osborne is creating a slowdown ahead of the 23rd to be followed by opening the taps if he wins.

And I didn't even propmpt them !
    Hijacking your reply, but why wasn't the increase to wages also given in real terms?

*innocent face*
  • Options
    Monty said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

We'll wait and see. If as I suspect there is absolute financial pandemonium we will have to pull out. It's going to be a disastrous few years for Britain and Europe if we leave. LEAVERS are kidding themselves that everything will be ok with no plan and utter financial turmoil on the horizon.
    Keep carrying on with your ridiculous propaganda. It's been working oh so well so far! Norway and Switzerland do better than eurozone economies outside the EU. Just how do you explain that?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    SeanT said:

Are you going to visit San Luca ?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

kle4 said:

What evidence is there that todays fall in the UK stockmarket is anything to do with Brexit?

Were previous rises to do with Brexit too?

The stockmarket goes up and down all the time. Anyone who really knows why keeps quiet and makes a fortune. Plenty think they know and lose what they have.
  • Options
    Roger said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Anyone who listened to the Canadian finance minister saying it has taken seven years to negotiate a deal which isn't as good as the one we currently enjoy and saying we're mad considering leaving should take note.

Though what Canada thinks might not normally be relevant as it's Boris's number one selling gambit it becomes very significant indeed.

The economic case is becoming so overwhelming if the Remain side aren't able to sell this in the next seven days they deserve to be held responsible for taking Britain into bankruptcy.
    Very true. They are losing. The time to set things straight is now.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,958
    Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm glad you think it's good that this insanity has the potential to plunge London families like mine into negative equity. I have been close to tears at times worried about my family's livelihood.
    Asset price bubbles rarely end well. It sadly hurts some people - and that is why as a society we ameliorate that.

What about families who don't have a massive asset to live in? There is almost always someone worse off.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Capitalisim/Free market
    Not fair is it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I feel like my decision to reduce my mortgage is really going to pay off.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Asset price bubbles rarely end well. It sadly hurts some people - and that is why as a society we ameliorate that.

What about families who don't have a massive asset to live in? There is almost always someone worse off.
    Sanctimonious bilge.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Monty said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Keep carrying on with your ridiculous propaganda. It's been working oh so well so far! Norway and Switzerland do better than eurozone economies outside the EU. Just how do you explain that?
    Yes lets follow the Swiss route to success , have the 2nd highest % of immigrants in the world . That will please the xenophobes
  • Options

kle4 said:

What evidence is there that todays fall in the UK stockmarket is anything to do with Brexit?

Were previous rises to do with Brexit too?

The stockmarket goes up and down all the time. Anyone who really knows why keeps quiet and makes a fortune. Plenty think they know and lose what they have.
    Why don't you learn to read? I said quite clearly in the thread header 'sometimes perceptions matter more than the facts'
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    MikeL said:

Perhaps surprisingly, Curtice poll of polls is still Remain 49, Leave 51.

I think that was as of last night - ie not including today's TNS.

Other big caveat is that he is using the ORB "all voters" numbers.

But even so, if there is any last minute swingback, it's still very easy to see how Remain could still win - if not comfortably then still by quite a bit more than a photo finish.

Remember what was said a couple of weeks ago - Leave needs to be a solid 5 to 7 points ahead to be confident of victory. It's still well short of that - at least at the moment.

Which is why Remain is still clear favourite.

These polls of polls have dubious value, Mike.

The pollsters need to agree on some uniform reporting standards. At the moment we have claimed 95% turnout numbers being reported as though they are the same as 60% ones.

That's plain silly in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Thanks for the heads up, some London bridging loans going up tommorow - have halved my prefund for investment in them :)
  • Options
    Prof. Stephen Fisher's updated weekly forecast:

"The probability that Remain will win the referendum has fallen from 68% last week to just 51% this week."
  • Options
    OUT said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Capitalisim/Free market
    Not fair is it.

Leavers don't believe in the free market.

• Options
    philiph said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

I wasn't interested in the offer. Brexit will make very little difference to house prices over a medium term, supply and demand is a bigger driver of price.
    There is an unprecedented amount of building in London right now: 54,000 units are under construction in inner London alone. That's equivalent (to put it in perspective) to half of the total housing stock of Luton.

International investors in London property (Singaporeans, Chinese, Russians, Middle Eastern) will likely "take a pause" post a Brexit vote. Some banks and financial institutions will inevitably scale down their London offices. London will become less of a technology hub. And overall immigration levels will inevitably fall - in a market that's being built up on the basis of a continued flow of new people.

London's property market will be an utter bloodbath.

And, while I realise this will affect a lot of people negatively, that's probably a good thing in the long term. Prices were unaffordable for too many people.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Can i say that i think this thread is a bit sad and desperate.
    Last year the dow fell around 7% in a week. Our mkts followed. Ntg to do with brexit.
    Secondly some of the protagonists spinning doom and gloom on here were the same oeople who said that there was no way last May that the Lib Dems would get less than 25 seats. Mr Senior was adamant about it . But he and they were wrong .A huge swathe of the population are looking forward to a once in a lifetime opportunity next Thursday. They want to punch the establishment full square on the nose.
    They have their fingers in their ears and short of being disenfranchised will not now be moved to a different position. The DKs are splitting fairly evenly but even many youngsters and BME groups are splitting to the extent that apart from the core lib dem and green vote voting remain you cant be sure who is going to vote in or out.
    I expect the polls to show a tightening feom around the weekend but up to that point it will be leave in the ascendency stock mkt fall or no stock mkt fall.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Spare a thought for all those millions in London stuck in the private rental sector having to deal with bastard agencies and landlords while wasting 40% of their wages on rent.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Mortimer said:

Jobabob said:

rcs1000 said:

Don't be so patronising. There a plenty of people who have just bought their first home and so on. It isn't any sort of an asset if you're plunged into negative equity.....
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Monty said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Er. Of course we will pull out of remortgaging if Brexit happens. Us and thousands of others. Hardly propaganda.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840

hunchman said:

Monty said:

tyson said:

Monty said:

Yes lets follow the Swiss route to success , have the 2nd highest % of immigrants in the world . That will please the xenophobes
    Another case of not understanding causality - it's like the classic "the EU created peace" when actually it's "peace created the EU".

Switzerland has many immigrants because it is a successful economy (and indeed, society).
This discussion has been closed.