Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With a batch of phone polls on the way LEAVE punters might

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    Adam also says

3 options, status quo, leaving and "leave with a free trade association". They've put the second two together

And

also no political weighting
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,316
    Indigo said:

RoyalBlue said:

Omnium said:

As a result of the rioting by Russians last night in Marseille, will UEFA and ultimately FIFA decide that Russia should forfeit its holding of the 2018 World Cup? ...... Thought not.

Will it be handed a suspended sentence specifying that should Russian "supporters" give rise to any further serious disturbances over the next two years, then it will forfeit the hosting of the World Cup? ...... Absolutely no chance.

Russia as it is can't survive.

Every day I pass well-heeled Russians in the street (I have a very basic understanding of their language). I've yet to know of a single Russian who actually has a job here.

I work with lots. They are without exception industrious, well-educated and inevitably end up as staunch Tory voters once they get their passports.
    And, I would have thought, staunch Remain supporters. Having gone to the trouble of getting a European passport they won't give up the right to free movement.
    A UK Passport grants you visa free access to 173 countries, 28 of those are in the EU.
    But not a bureaucracy-free right to settle. That only applies within the EEA.
  • Options
    For the record that Express report is complete and utter garbage. Don't bet on it or think it is useful.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    I
    Fenman said:

Ian Harnett of ARS and formerly UBS is warning in the Observer of a Brexit effect of a 30% fall in sterling and a 20% fall in the FTSE.
    Combined this would have a massive effect on private pensions.
    No doubt the economically illiterate brexiters will tell us that this will be more than made up for by our free unicorns.

Is he prepared to resign his position without compensation if he is wrong ?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629

Floater said:
    I think they've misreported that poll on an epic scandal. They've given two options for Leave and only one for Remain
    You see instead of wasting your time trying to recruit a disinterested student you should have been at your keyboard shaping the narrative before Sunil does. :-)
    I'm headed down to London so I can go to Paris for our Brexit contingency planning.
    Paris?

You sure it's not actually in Vichy?

:lol:
  • Options

Floater said:
    I think they've misreported that poll on an epic scandal. They've given two options for Leave and only one for Remain
    You see instead of wasting your time trying to recruit a disinterested student you should have been at your keyboard shaping the narrative before Sunil does. :-)
    I'm headed down to London so I can go to Paris for our Brexit contingency planning.
    Looking at that poll shouldnt it be Bremain contingency planning ? ;-)
    We're only worried by Bremain if Osborne is ditched as Chancellor
  • Options

For the record that Express report is complete and utter garbage. Don't bet on it or think it is useful.

I won't bother asking if you have a good lawyer as you are one!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I

Fenman said:

Ian Harnett of ARS and formerly UBS is warning in the Observer of a Brexit effect of a 30% fall in sterling and a 20% fall in the FTSE.
    No doubt the economically illiterate brexiters will tell us that this will be more than made up for by our free unicorns.

Is he prepared to resign his position without compensation if he is wrong ?
    Let's guess at "No", shall we?
  • Options
    TimTim Posts: 44
    Fenman said:

It's not the Brexiters who are economically illiterate. It is those who swallow such statements without thinking about them.

If there really was going to be a 30% fall in sterling and 20% in the FTSE then we'd already have seen a significant effect in the markets, as we're just 11 days from the vote.

In fact, what we've seen is much smaller effects. Those who are closer to the markets will be able to make some comment about what the movements to date suggest for a post-referendum Brexit effect.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Omnium said:

AnneJGP said:

WRT elderly people, I've been thinking overnight about that business of 'pensions could be hit' if we leave, and comparing it to the statements (on here & elsewhere) that older people are likely to be voting with an eye to the future for their grandchildren & so on.

I know that, at the time of the last GE, many older people have deprecated the protection of their economic interests at the expense of those of younger people. (The free bus pass being national rather than regional, or free rather (than), say, half-price, is often cited.)

Politicians know that older people turn out & vote; I wonder whether they have over-estimated the need to win over those older voters by economic guarantees?

Cameron this morning talked about pensions being hit etc. It's a bit harsh. Pensioners on the whole have paid a big chunk of money month-on-month, year-on-year for their pensions. It's called National Insurance. State pensions (beyond the basic) are not a state hand-out.

And that paid for their parents to have a, pretty crappy, pension. Working age people are paying for current pensioners to have their triple locked pensions whilst the current workers' pensions are pushed further and further into the future..

There is no pension pot.
  • Options

Floater said:
    Looking at that poll shouldnt it be Bremain contingency planning ? ;-)
    We're only worried by Bremain if Osborne is ditched as Chancellor
    That's inevitable. it's only a question of when.
  • Options
    ...and we're going again at the Test match.
    50 for Hales now.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Tim said:

Fenman said:

It's not the Brexiters who are economically illiterate. It is those who swallow such statements without thinking about them.

If there really was going to be a 30% fall in sterling and 20% in the FTSE then we'd already have seen a significant effect in the markets, as we're just 11 days from the vote.

In fact, what we've seen is much smaller effects. Those who are closer to the markets will be able to make some comment about what the movements to date suggest for a post-referendum Brexit effect.
    I believe 80% of FTSE 100 companies' income is derived from overseas.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RodCrosby said:

Alistair said:

DanSmith said:

Alistair said:

Trump out to 4.6 in case anyone is interested. Apparently the regular Trump price updater only does updates when it is shortening.

That is great value.
    It will shorten at the convention but barring the FBI it is
    RodCrosby said:

Alistair said:

Trump out to 4.6 in case anyone is interested. Apparently the regular Trump price updater only does updates when it is shortening.

There's been a massive over-reaction to a slight drift in the polls back to Clinton [or even due to a hiatus in the frequency of polls]

PEC gives Trump a 35% chance, implying sub 3.0 odds as fair value. and concede his chance may be even higher.

From the state polls, a barely 1% swing to Trump would give him the keys to the White House.

If today's tragic events push Florida into his column I'd expect a sharp movement back on BF.

What is it about Orlando, btw? Only yesterday there was the senseless murder of the pop singer at a concert. Were these incidents related?

Anyhow Trump has two public meetings in NH later today, so we await his comments...
    Yes, the slight drift showing Hilary winning Kentucky in a landslide.
    I think you mean Kansas. It wasn't a landslide, and no-one seems to be taking it seriously, anyhow. A very odd poll, and on its own it means next to nothing.
    All states begining with K look the same to me
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Tim said:

Fenman said:

Incase you have noticed the pound has already fallen by more than 10%.
  • Options

Adam also says

3 options, status quo, leaving and "leave with a free trade association". They've put the second two together

And

I'd say that was terribly irresponsible reporting, but this is the Daily Express we're talking about..

Disappointed we haven't seen a 'Diana would have voted Leave' headline yet.
  • Options

well you would say that wouldn't you ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953

Adam also says

And

That's naughty...
  • Options

I'd say the same if the report was that badly reported in Remain's favour.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045

EVERYTHING in the Express is complete and utter garbage. I thought we all knew this fact?
  • Options

I won't bother asking if you have a good lawyer as you are one!
    A man who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"

Phrase was coined in 1814, so it doesn't apply to TSE obviously.
  • Options

I'd say the same if the report was that badly reported in Remain's favour.
    That's just the elitist in you talking. You've never been the same since you went to Bilderberg.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

"So OGH knows in advance what the next polls will say. With a sweep of his wand, our wizard is betting all on old phone technology to help Remain in the last few days. Well I say that's all very weird."

Is it as weird as a fire at Seaworld?

"So OGH knows in advance what the next polls will say. With a sweep of his wand, our wizard is betting all on old phone technology to help Remain in the last few days. Well I say that's all very weird."

Is it as weird as a fire at Seaworld?

If there has been a shift to Leave, you would still expect the online polls to be lower for Leave, given the modal difference.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    "The suspected Islamic extremist who killed about 20 people after taking party-goers hostage inside a gay club in Orlando has been identified.
    Law enforcement sources have identified the shooter, who was wielding an assault rifle and a handgun, as US citizen Omar Mateen, from Port St. Lucie in Florida."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3637414/Everyone-running-Gunman-bursts-gay-nightclub-Florida-shoots-20-people-taking-hostages.html#ixzz4BNDPKOBZ
  • Options
    TimTim Posts: 44
    Fenman said:

Tim said:

Fenman said:

Incase you have noticed the pound has already fallen by more than 10%.

Against what? Anyone who is economically or financially literate understands you have to have a baseline. Saying 'it's fallen more than 10%' is almost meaningless.

Carney did previously say the pound had fallen 9% against its November high and that half of that was attributable to the referendum.

It isn't clear though why November should be the baseline. That wasn't the month the referendum was announced, nor even one in which it became significantly more likely.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Adam also says

And

It probably does reflect opinion on the EU, it's just not a poll on voting intention which is the crucial point. Reporting it as such is the problem.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    murali_s said:

EVERYTHING in the Express is complete and utter garbage. I thought we all knew this fact?
    I read the Guardian AND the Express - Garbage to the left of me, Garbage to the right of me. Here I am stuck in the middle.
  • Options
    Finn Gone - England looking at 200 tops.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

"The suspected Islamic extremist who killed about 20 people after taking party-goers hostage inside a gay club in Orlando has been identified.
    Law enforcement sources have identified the shooter, who was wielding an assault rifle and a handgun, as US citizen Omar Mateen, from Port St. Lucie in Florida."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3637414/Everyone-running-Gunman-bursts-gay-nightclub-Florida-shoots-20-people-taking-hostages.html#ixzz4BNDPKOBZ

Just as well for Hillary - If it had been a Muslim who had recently arrived in the USA.....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,316
    edited June 2016
    weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

Just as well for Hillary - If it had been a Muslim who had recently arrived in the USA.....
    It looks like the shooter was also a registered Democrat. His parents came from Afghanistan.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkwW6v5UUAEbp4T.jpg
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,642

After the referendum is out of the way, can we continue with this cross-party consensus by agreeing that in the Express all reporting of political issues generally is complete and utter garbage?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    Captain Cook to the rescue in the cricket?
  • Options
    More Brexit winging

https://vimeo.com/170323051
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

Parents reported as Afghani immigrants...

Mateen may have been on a watch list.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Alastair Cook now in batting for England after the knock on his knee kept him out yesterday.

So at five wickets down we now have the England openers batting together, Hales and Cook.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Finn Gone - England looking at 200 tops.

More than enough!
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Why does this matter for a referendum question since there are leavers and remainers on both the left and the right ? Socio-economic weighting I could see.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    MP_SE said:

Tim said:

Fenman said:

I believe 80% of FTSE 100 companies' income is derived from overseas.
    The issue I have with people trotting out these numbers is...I don't see them doing it very often. People are worried, and that's fine - I worry too.

However, the GBP/Euro almost reached parity in 2008 - does anyone remember that? It was around 1.02. It was at 1.75 in 2000. The £ dropped by around 58% over that period. The stock market almost halved between 2007 and 2009 (peak in 2007 was c. 6.7k, low in March 2009 was 3.5k).

I'm no expert, but investment income is around 65% of my overall, so I follow things reasonably closely. I'd expect a lot of volatility on the news of Brexit (it might move up a little if we got an _accurate_ poll that was like the D. Express nonsense).

However, remember what article 50 actually says:

“Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.
    A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.
    The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.
    For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3, the member of the European Council or of the Council representing the withdrawing Member State shall not participate in the discussions of the European Council or Council or in decisions concerning it. A qualified majority shall be defined in accordance with Article 238(3)(b) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.
    If a State which has withdrawn from the Union asks to rejoin, its request shall be subject to the procedure referred to in Article 49.”

Nothing happens on June 24th. We'd leave the EU proper sometime in June 2018 at the earliest. I don't want to minimise the economic impact - I'm expecting something like the IFS report (which includes a range of outcomes, pick yer poison).
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Why does this matter for a referendum question since there are leavers and remainers on both the left and the right ? Socio-economic weighting I could see.

There's a feeling online polls contain too many Kippers. So you have to weight accordingly.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161

Anyone who knows how to read an opinion poll would say that.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Indigo said:

There's a feeling online polls contain too many Kippers. So you have to weight accordingly.
    Yougov in the election had UKIP on 12%/ 13% - and that is what they got. In fact everyone other than Survation did.

I would say the problem with online polling is that those people who register are more committed to the cause (any cause) and hence less likely to switch than other voters.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Indigo said:

The problem with the whole packing online polls with activists meme is it makes the whole thing worthless, partly because fundamentally you can't weight an unrepresentative sample into a representative one, and also because if the activists were there to boost a poll, they would probably lie about past voting behaviour.
  • Options
    Breaking: State of Emergency declared in Orlando, maybe all Florida?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Holy Crap

50 DEAD, 50 in hospital
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,033
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Is it a solitary terrorist in Orlando, or a group? This morning I think it was reported it was one man.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Holy Crap

50 DEAD, 50 in hospital

S***
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Holy Crap

50 DEAD, 50 in hospital

S***
    Presser on Sky now
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Horrendous news if 50 dead 50 injured.

Cynical - better get on Trump @ 4 then - A good day to make a move in the betting markets.

This ain't good - however it might have an effect on the UK referendum as well - people will look at the incident and not dissect the cause.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Indigo said:

Yougov in the election had UKIP on 12%/ 13% - and that is what they got. In fact everyone other than Survation did.

I would say the problem with online polling is that those people who register are more committed to the cause (any cause) and hence less likely to switch than other voters.
    Not true. A lot of the largest errors for UKIP at the GE were online polls overestimating UKIP.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/05/10/so-were-there-really-shy-kippers/
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Indigo said:

Not true. A lot of the largest errors for UKIP at the GE were online polls overestimating UKIP.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/05/10/so-were-there-really-shy-kippers/
    Look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election - which I assume is accurate.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,552

Alastair Cook now in batting for England after the knock on his knee kept him out yesterday.

So at five wickets down we now have the England openers batting together, Hales and Cook.
    Our new number 7 was pretty seriously fortunate there. Not sure he has the technique for this middle order stuff. Can he bowl as well?
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

Cynical - better get on Trump @ 4 then - A good day to make a move in the betting markets.

This ain't good - however it might have an effect on the UK referendum as well - people will look at the incident and not dissect the cause.
    Can't be sure - but reports the chap was also a registered Democrat.
  • Options

Is it a solitary terrorist in Orlando, or a group? This morning I think it was reported it was one man.

Appears to be one shooter, now deceased.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Holy Crap

50 DEAD, 50 in hospital

S***
    Would easily be the worst mass shooting in US history...
  • Options

"Omar Mateen", son of Afghan immigrants, according to reports.

Nothing Religion of Peace to see here. Move along, citizen.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    Terrible news in Florida. Like the Bataclan, indiscriminately killing young people who are out enjoying themselves is truly disgusting.

0/T

Cameron is quite right to plainly state the implications of a vote leave. There will be an economic shock followed by years of political and economic uncertainty. Something business hates. Sterling will plummet, and credit will be transferred out of the UK. Global business will choose other countries to invest in.

The economic shock will probably lead to a serious recession- but with the added uncertainty of Brexit, this will prolong any economic shock beyond any normal recessionary cycle. Tax receipts will fall significantly and our ability to pay for our public services will be seriously diminished without major tax rises, or cuts, or probably both- i.e. state pensions, the NHS. Britain will become poorer. Further, anyone with private pensions will see their funds affected as capital leaves the UK.

This is not scaremongering., or project fear..this is just stating the bleeding obvious. I have an MA in Economics and an MBA, so this is particularly intuitive for me to understand, but it is not rocket science. It really isn't.

The rationale behind Brexit is based on stupidity, racism, ignorance, nationalism and populist nonsense. Brexit represents a triumph of sentiment over logic....which would be just about tolerable if the sentiment was based on noble human emotions such as compassion, warmth and collectivism. Brexit sentiment is based on racism, ignorance and nationalism. Brexit sentiment is akin to an individual self harming because they are angry. This needs to be hammered home in the next week and a half.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

weejonnie said:

Indigo said:

Look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election - which I assume is accurate.
    My figures are from the pollsters themselves.
  • Options
    England getting lucky in Cricket - one bowled with a 'no ball', one nearly LBW.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016

Come on TSE, you are getting tetchy.

You have done a cracking job as editor and introduced a bit of mischief and fun back into posts wbich has reflected in the comments.

Dont let tiredness get to you in the last week.

What you should be doing is analysing that poll to find out how many of the Brexiters also think that the EU assasinated Princess Di taking orders from Bilderburg.

:)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    tyson said:

Terrible news in Florida. Like the Bataclan, indiscriminately killing young people who are out enjoying themselves is truly disgusting.

0/T

Cameron is quite right to plainly state the implications of a vote leave. There will be an economic shock followed by years of political and economic uncertainty. Something business hates. Sterling will plummet, and credit will be transferred out of the UK. Global business will choose other countries to invest in.

The economic shock will probably lead to a serious recession- but with the added uncertainty of Brexit, this will prolong any economic shock beyond any normal recessionary cycle. Tax receipts will fall significantly and our ability to pay for our public services will be seriously diminished without major tax rises, or cuts, or probably both- i.e. state pensions, the NHS. Britain will become poorer. Further, anyone with private pensions will see their funds affected as capital leaves the UK.

This is not scaremongering., or project fear..this is just stating the bleeding obvious. I have an MA in Economics and an MBA, so this is particularly intuitive for me to understand, but it is not rocket science. It really isn't.

The rationale behind Brexit is based on stupidity, racism, ignorance, nationalism and populist nonsense. Brexit represents a triumph of sentiment over logic....which would be just about tolerable if the sentiment was based on noble human emotions such as compassion, warmth and collectivism. Brexit sentiment is based on racism, ignorance and nationalism. Brexit sentiment is akin to an individual self harming because they are angry. This needs to be hammered home in the next week and a half.

I hope you'll let us know which of us racist, which is ignorant, which is nationalist and which is all three.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    UEFA threatens Russia and England with disqualification if violence happens again.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    weejonnie said:

More Brexit winging

https://vimeo.com/170323051

Outrageous. And I can fully believe it.

Vote Leave.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    UEFA warning of chucking us out as well as Russia

Moral cowards
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

UEFA threatens Russia and England with disqualification if violence happens again.

Well thats Russia going come early then....but of course they won't follow through with the threat.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821

Come on TSE, you are getting tetchy.

You have done a cracking job as editor and introduced a bit of mischief and fun back into posts wbich has reflected in the comments.

Dont let tiredness get to you in the last week.

What you should be doing is analysing that poll to find out how many of the Brexiters also think that the EU assasinated Princess Di taking orders from Bilderburg.

:)
    To be fair to TSE, the Express does talk a lot of bollocks.

I don't trust a word they say.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

I think the usual line is he misunderstood the teachings and it's nothing to do with ROP.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Packing online with activists for the referendum does not make sense to me.

The long term sign ups will have been to well known political pollsters published in the press, with the sign up based upon being activist Tory, Labour etc.

It will not have been on a Leave or Remain basis.

Additionally, ORB and BMG seem to derive their panels from market research databases which should be purer.

UKIP polled 15% across GB (less Scotland and London) last May. The Tories were over 40%.

England and Wales (less Scotland/London) is 55-45 "right wing".
  • Options

weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

It looks like the shooter was also a registered Democrat. His parents came from Afghanistan.

I honestly don't see why the fact he might be a democrat is important.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,199
    John_M said:

However, the GBP/Euro almost reached parity in 2008 - does anyone remember that? It was around 1.02. It was at 1.75 in 2000. The £ dropped by around 58% over that period. The stock market almost halved between 2007 and 2009 (peak in 2007 was c. 6.7k, low in March 2009 was 3.5k).

I do remember the pound collapsing then, yes. I think at the time Thingy's predecessor was still in charge at the ECB and pursuing a strong Euro strategy and the UK had started QE (happy to be contradicted if I have the timings wrong). Remember the Greece black hole wasn't revealed until 2009(?) and Sarkozy was still boasting it was an Anglo-American problem...silly him.

The point being that that collapse was a known side effect of a deliberately pursued strategy. A post-Brexit collapse will be the result of an outcome not chosen by the UK government, as it pivots from a pro-economy to an anti-immigration anti-economy stance: hieraeth and heimat instead of pennies and pounds.

Parenthetically I think the GBP collapse will be greater and/or longer than you think. And since Soros is piling into gold, he agrees with me... :(

• Options
    weejonnie said:

England getting lucky in Cricket - one bowled with a 'no ball', one nearly LBW.

Lucky again. If the Umpires are consistent this is a draw.
  • Options
    Floater said:

GeoffM said:

I think the usual line is he misunderstood the teachings and it's nothing to do with ROP.
    You forgot the "worry about backlash"....
  • Options
    Floater said:

weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

Imagine if Copeland had been a Labour Party activist and reconsider the question
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,284
    weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

The shooter may be a Muslim but the victims were largely homosexuals, not exactly Trump's demographic it was a tragedy and could equally again open up the question on gun laws too, Trump has been endorsed by the NRA but I doubt it has any impact on the election
  • Options

Adam also says

And

I'd say that was terribly irresponsible reporting, but this is the Daily Express we're talking about..

Failure to Brexit leads to climate change?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,033
    Miss/Mr. QC, thanks for that answer.

Surprised one man managed to kill so many.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

0/T

I hope you'll let us know which of us racist, which is ignorant, which is nationalist and which is all three.
    You tell me which of you are racist. You Brexit people are on the same side as the English hooligans rampaging through Marseille singing fuck off Europe, the EDL, the BNP, George Gallaway, revolutionary communists, Farage. You're riding the wave of anti immigrant rhetoric and populism.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Adam also says

And

Failure to Brexit leads to climate change?
    Vote Leave for a BBQ summer.
  • Options
    Floater said:

GeoffM said:

Very true; that's the standard excuse.
    And there will be some 'isolated, lone wolf' stuff lobbed in for good measure.
  • Options
    tyson said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

0/T

You tell me which of you are racist. You Brexit people are on the same side as the English hooligans rampaging through Marseille singing fuck off Europe, the EDL, the BNP, George Gallaway, revolutionary communists, Farage. You're riding the wave of anti immigrant rhetoric and populism.
    Do you conssider Democrats to be Homophobic as one of them just shot 50 people in a gay nightclub?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

could equally again open up the question on gun laws too,
    I thought that question was decisively settled with all the other mass shootings - that there is no political will to change things even a little?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    chestnut said:

The long term sign ups will have been to well known political pollsters published in the press, with the sign up based upon being activist Tory, Labour etc.

Additionally, ORB and BMG seem to derive their panels from market research databases which should be purer.

UKIP polled 15% across GB (less Scotland and London) last May. The Tories were over 40%.

The Conservatives were nowhere near 40% last May . They were much nearer 30% .
  • Options

Floater said:

weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

Imagine if Copeland had been a Labour Party activist and reconsider the question
    Nope, still not clear to me why it would matter if he was a democrat.

People that try to conflate these issues are trying to do it for their own purposes.
  • Options
    Floater said:

weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

Insert "Tea Party supporter" in there and you'll be deafened by the media wailing and gnashing of teeth.
  • Options

Floater said:

weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

It's one of those trivial facts that spoils all the stereotypes. It seemed pretty clear from very shortly after the horror ended that the shooter was of a politically awkward background. That he's a registered Democrat, a Muslim and just killed or wounded over 100 gays...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    viewcode said:

John_M said:

I do remember the pound collapsing then, yes. I think at the time Thingy's predecessor was still in charge at the ECB and pursuing a strong Euro strategy and the UK had started QE (happy to be contradicted if I have the timings wrong). Remember the Greece black hole wasn't revealed until 2009(?) and Sarkozy was still boasting it was an Anglo-American problem...silly him.

The point being that that collapse was a known side effect of a deliberately pursued strategy. A post-Brexit collapse will be the result of an outcome not chosen by the UK government, as it pivots from a pro-economy to an anti-immigration anti-economy stance: hieraeth and heimat instead of pennies and pounds.

Parenthetically I think the GBP collapse will be greater and/or longer than you think. And since Soros is piling into gold, he agrees with me... :(

I'm just going off the IFS report. However, ultimately it's all guesswork, no matter how well informed.

One of the most influential papers I ever read was written by a CIA analyst (this was in my secret squirrel days). He was trying to analyse why the Western intelligence community had never actually predicted any of the great seismic shifts - from the Cuban missile crisis to the Arab spring. It really brought home to me how odd the world is, and how inherently unpredictable humans, en masse, are.

I'd have more confidence all round if the economists were predicting when the next recession will be - they're still much better at fitting to the curve than predicting it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,796
    tyson said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

0/T

And you have got former IRA terrorists on your side.

We have all got unusual bedfellows in this campaign, it doesn’t mean we are all mindless thugs and nutters.
  • Options

chestnut said:

37.8% Nationally IIRC - which is only closer to 30% in the minds of the Left.
  • Options

A packed nightclub, he seems to have been in there for a few hours. There is a suggestion he also had a suicide vest, but was taken out by the SWAT team before he could detonate. Could have been even worse.

The death toll is horrifying, I can only think of the Utoya shootings in Norway which were a larger number.
  • Options

The club was near closing time apparently and still pretty full. Guess the enclosed space and darkness would've made it possible to just spray rounds about.

Apparently there was a single cop stationed there as per usual and he helped get 30 out.
  • Options

Same old shit different day.
    tyson said:

0/T

LOL you do so like to spout bollocks :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    tyson said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

0/T

You know perfectly well that just because idiots support something does not mean everyone who supports the same is an idiot, if their reason for supporting it is not the same. Personally I don't care about immigration at all, so don't need to make any 'it's not racist to care about immigration' comments as a defence. A couple of racists I'm unfortunately related to are voting Remain due to economic shock fears - perhaps not representative, but even racists are not a homogeneous mass.

And in any case the problem remains - if you think anyone who supports Leaving is a racist, which is your implied position, you are saying 45-50% of the population are racist. Does that really seem probable to you?
  • Options
    That is not what the poll was about 'after giving voters the option of a choice of free trade agreements with the EU.

It found 52 per cent chose to leave the EU, with only 33 per cent choosing to keep the status quo.

Despite there being less than two weeks before the crucial referendum, on June 23, a further 15 per cent said they still didn't know.

Of those who voted to leave the majority, 39 per cent, said that Britain should have some sort of Free Trade Agreement with the EU, similar to the one currently enjoyed between the US, Canada and Mexico. A further 13 per cent said they would accept the off-the-shelf-membership of EFTA, the European Free Trade Association with a single market.'

So as TSE says a garbage poll which just adds up support for free trade agreements, not a straight In or Out poll at all
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    weejonnie said:

chestnut said:

37.8% Nationally IIRC - which is only closer to 30% in the minds of the Left.
    We are talking about May local elections last month not a year ago .
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    tyson said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

0/T

Rule number one of effective discussion. Do not attribute motive to the other side. Deal with what they say and, more importantly, what they do. tyson fails class 101.

In tyson's defence, many on here, on both sides of the debate, have failed that test. Mr Nabavi and Mr Meeks come to mind as frequent offenders.

But then, most offenders I suspect are not on here to discuss, more to opine or vent.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited June 2016

chestnut said:

The Tories were over 40% in England and Wales (less London)

• Options
    GeoffM said:

Floater said:

weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

Insert "Tea Party supporter" in there and you'll be deafened by the media wailing and gnashing of teeth.
    Well yes of course. But that does not make the fact meaningful.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

0/T

Rule number one of effective discussion. Do not attribute motive to the other side. Deal with what they say and, more importantly, what they do. tyson fails class 101.

In tyson's defence, many on here, on both sides of the debate, have failed that test. Mr Nabavi and Mr Meeks come to mind as frequent offenders.

But then, most offenders I suspect are not on here to discuss, more to opine or vent.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,199
    John_M said:

One of the most influential papers I ever read was written by a CIA analyst (this was in my secret squirrel days). He was trying to analyse why the Western intelligence community had never actually predicted any of the great seismic shifts - from the Cuban missile crisis to the Arab spring. It really brought home to me how odd the world is, and how inherently unpredictable humans, en masse, are.

I'd have more confidence all round if the economists were predicting when the next recession will be - they're still much better at fitting to the curve than predicting it.

Amen. Things that are stable will change, things that change will settle down, and ultimately all we can hope for is that tomorrow is a bit better than today... :(

• Options
    El_Dave said:

HYUFD said:

Not the same as saying he will resign or lose the leadership and he is the elected Prime Minister who will have just won a referendum, Tory members can say what they like, the UK electorate will have voted to Remain and the PM will still be a Remainer as a consequence

Whether or not he faces a leadership election is up to Conservative MPs. Who wins that leadership election is up to Conservative Party members.

There has to be a vote of confidence by MPs first before a leadership election, as a majority of Tory MPs back Remain if Remain win Cameron would win that vote of confidence comfortably
This discussion has been closed.