Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Europe: The final countdown, Sixteen days to go

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

I wonder how the great Britain little England line will play in Scotland where we recently establish that 45 percent of the population don't want to be Great British.

They would rather Great Britain than Little England. GB goes down better in Scotland, NI and London and Wales, Little England in provincial England, it is the former Cameron is now targeting to edge over the line, he has pretty much given up on rural, coastal and market town England who will vote Leave
    As an aside, this is, of course, catastrophic for Cameron's future as prime minister, and as Tory leader. The Tory party IS Little England - the little battalions in the shires and burbs.

Cameron has clearly accepted his career is nearly over.
    Yes, look at the figures. Yougov yesterday had Leave ahead 44% to 41% in the South, 42% to 41% in the Midlands and Wales and 44% to 40% in the North. Remain led 55% to 33% in London and 51% to 39% in Scotland. Across the UK Remain led 43% to 42%
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/0ofltfa592/Times_Results_160606_EU_Final_Website.pdf

So Cameron is going to scrape over the line if Remain win having lost Tory England, which is why I would agree that he will not be going on too long as Tory leader after this referendum and Osborne is unlikely to succeed him either
    As I said in the previous thread I find it strange that Cameron and Osborne have decide that SLab's playbook from the IndyRef was the one to follow.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Yes, there's definitely huge millage in making the jingoistic case for Remain - Good old Britain in the thick of it, saving those Europeans from themselves again. Let's have a bit of romance and soaring passion. (Contrast with stale old Leave, the height of whose ambition is turning us into the world's largest ferry port.)

Nah. We want to be pirates and corsairs on the open seas. What is more romantic than that!!!

:-)
    Britain was at her best when she ruled the waves.

We can all agree on that.
    And waved the rules....

“We have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked but not combined. We are interested and associated but not absorbed. If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea.”
    Except that we do not have to choose, we can have both Europe and the open seas. Indded both Leave and Remain agree on that (though disagree that the other side will allow it!)
    Unfortunately we cannot. Membership of the EU restricts our access to the open seas in so far as it prevents us from making our own trade deals. Of course it also restricts our access to our own fishing grounds as well so in that case it is literally restricting our access to the open seas.
    Exactly what I said. Each side claims that the other cannot provide both, but they can. You put the case as a Leaver. Some Remainers would say the exact opposite and that only Remain means free access to both European and overseas markets with Leave abandoning the Single Market access that Mrs T passed into law.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

There's going to be a lot of England flags being flown in the next couple of weeks.

Somebody lock up Emily Thornberry.
    No, I'm planning on driving her on a campaign tour of all the WWC areas! :)

Sorry...
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    nunu said:

RoyalBlue said:

I love ITV's totally representative 'floating voters'. 60% white, 40% black (judging by accent not UK born), no Asians and no pensioners. They come down on Mr Cameron's side. What a surprise!

any canvassing news today? Let me guess leave 20% ahead in London ;)
    No. I should have some tomorrow.

I find the figures hard to believe too, but I'm sure in places like Islington it's 80-20 for Remain.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    I agree with SeanT. Irrespective of the referendum result, Cameron now looks like Blair after Iraq.

The tricks don't work anymore. There are no more aces in his cards.

In the case of Blair, it took 4 years for the stupid fuck to realise it, before resigning in 2007. And in the process, he irreversibly contaminated the Labour brand.

The good thing for the Tories is that Cameron has somewhat more self-awareness than Blair and will go quickly.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,127
    edited June 2016

Cameron has a massive, massive problem with immigration. Having previously gone heavy on how bad immigration is, he can't now tell the truth, which is that an open market in a globalised world means immigration and that fact isn't going to change with Brexit. Instead he had to fall back on the line that immigration is being controlled now. Nobody believes it.

-----
    We can control immigration, other countries do.

Thanks. Off topic question. Do you, or anyone else, know which countries similar to the UK see relatively less immigration than the UK? I am talking about actual numbers, not whether the countries claim to control immigration
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,406

Yes, there's definitely huge millage in making the jingoistic case for Remain - Good old Britain in the thick of it, saving those Europeans from themselves again. Let's have a bit of romance and soaring passion. (Contrast with stale old Leave, the height of whose ambition is turning us into the world's largest ferry port.)

Nah. We want to be pirates and corsairs on the open seas. What is more romantic than that!!!

:-)
    Britain was at her best when she ruled the waves.

We can all agree on that.
    And waved the rules....

“We have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked but not combined. We are interested and associated but not absorbed. If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea.”
    Except that we do not have to choose, we can have both Europe and the open seas. Indded both Leave and Remain agree on that (though disagree that the other side will allow it!)
    Unfortunately we cannot. Membership of the EU restricts our access to the open seas in so far as it prevents us from making our own trade deals. Of course it also restricts our access to our own fishing grounds as well so in that case it is literally restricting our access to the open seas.
    Exactly what I said. Each side claims that the other cannot provide both, but they can. You put the case as a Leaver. Some Remainers would say the exact opposite and that only Remain means free access to both European and overseas markets with Leave abandoning the Single Market access that Mrs T passed into law.
    Um no. I was talking in purely factual terms. Membership of the EU does prevent us securing a trade deal with many other important countries. That is a basic fact, not an opinion. If we tried to secure our own trade deal we would be in breach of the EU treaties.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,417
    Daily Mail web headline:

'You're scaremongering against non-whites!' Farage blasted for 'demonising migrants' as he's grilled by a live studio audience in heated Brexit debate before the PM brands him a 'Little Englander'

Discuss.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

John_N4 said:

They don't look "macho" at all. They look as though they're demonstrating to everyone that they haven't shit themselves. Osborne looks insane, and Cameron looks like an Etonian (not an Old one) imitating a school cleaner.

I am waiting for Cameron to do 'the roar!!!'
    So if Cameron is Prince George, who is his Blackadder?
    I've been meaning to ask you, you predict a Remain win by 12-15% but say Leave winning in Wales is value @ 2/1.

Perhaps you can explain the reasoning behind that.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    Hmmmmm... Can't find the debate programe on ITV's website, which generally seems to be very poor.

Times like this you realize how good the BBC's iplayer is.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,081
    Wanderer said:

John_N4 said:

They don't look "macho" at all. They look as though they're demonstrating to everyone that they haven't shit themselves. Osborne looks insane, and Cameron looks like an Etonian (not an Old one) imitating a school cleaner.

Or the pelvic thrust?
    Lord Flashheart on Blackadder, Freeview 19 (Yesterday Channel)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

I wonder how the great Britain little England line will play in Scotland where we recently establish that 45 percent of the population don't want to be Great British.

They would rather Great Britain than Little England. GB goes down better in Scotland, NI and London and Wales, Little England in provincial England, it is the former Cameron is now targeting to edge over the line, he has pretty much given up on rural, coastal and market town England who will vote Leave
    As an aside, this is, of course, catastrophic for Cameron's future as prime minister, and as Tory leader. The Tory party IS Little England - the little battalions in the shires and burbs.

Cameron has clearly accepted his career is nearly over.
    Yes, look at the figures. Yougov yesterday had Leave ahead 44% to 41% in the South, 42% to 41% in the Midlands and Wales and 44% to 40% in the North. Remain led 55% to 33% in London and 51% to 39% in Scotland. Across the UK Remain led 43% to 42%
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/0ofltfa592/Times_Results_160606_EU_Final_Website.pdf

So Cameron is going to scrape over the line if Remain win having lost Tory England, which is why I would agree that he will not be going on too long as Tory leader after this referendum and Osborne is unlikely to succeed him either
    As I said in the previous thread I find it strange that Cameron and Osborne have decide that SLab's playbook from the IndyRef was the one to follow.
    Indeed, there is a real risk UKIP will eat up Tory Leavers as the SNP eat up Labour Yes voters
  • Options
    Starfall said:

Good evening.

I watched the debate this evening and I did not find it too illuminating. Nigel Farage was his usual grating self, and I don't think David Cameron was at his strongest. I was hoping for a little more back and forth between them. I felt it was a small win for David as he just comes across as more pleasant than Nigel. The Brexit people should have used Michael Gove or that Asian lady. They both come over very well.

I look forward to the next debate. I hope it will be more interesting!

It is not a case of who the Brexit people should have used. They had no choice in the matter. ITV invited Farage without any reference to the official Leave campaign.

Not complaining about it, ITV are entitled to invite who they like. Just correcting your misconception.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Alistair said:

How is the referendum count going to be reported, is it going to be by council area or constituency or what?

http://election.pressassociation.com/Advisories/EU_referendum_2016.php
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Membership of the EU does prevent us securing a trade deal with many other important countries. That is a basic fact, not an opinion.

Are there any of these countries that we don't currently trade with?

This is the flip-side of the Brexit argument.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2016
    Alistair said:

How is the referendum count going to be reported, is it going to be by council area or constituency or what?

According to the EC, there are going to be 382 individual declarations. From what I can tell, these are the local government areas in England and Wales (not sure about Scotland and NI).

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/206113/Media-briefing-EU-Referendum-count-processes-and-results.pdf

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/excel_doc/0006/206088/EURef_timingvenue_KK.xlsx

Basically similar to the AV referendum.
  • Options

John_N4 said:

Oh Gove for sure.

The more important question is who is Baldrick. :-)
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,045

rcs1000 said:

Do you guys know how many of my Facebook friends have even mentioned the debate?

None. Zero. Nada.

In other words, this debate will have no impact whatsoever on the result.

Four of my Facebook friends regularly post pro-Remain posts. The rest post mostly about their kids,cats or holidays like normal folk do.
    I was thinking about this today. Inasmuch as the referendum is mentioned by my facebook friends, I have about nine friends who regularly post tediously snappy anti-LEAVE arguments (that it's pointless to refute given the TLDR nature of the medium). Most of these are the same people who posted similarly trite anti-Tory posts at the last election. Basically, REMAIN is the default option for the university-educated virtue signaller. But at least one of these (interestingly atypical - middle class but not university educated; of traveller background but more furious than anyone I have ever known in his denunciation of travellers and gypsies) was always ardently pro-Tory, and another (also non-university educated) I would say at least pretty sceptical of the cut-and-paste anti-Tory meme at the election.
    Meanwhile, the only voice on my facebook feed for LEAVE has been from a postgrad-educated teacher from a distinctly D2/E background who swung from Tory in 2010 to Green in 2015 and has taken the NUT line in most things political since the early half of the decade.

But as with you, most post of happier things like children and cricket.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,390
    SeanT said:

I agree with SeanT. Irrespective of the referendum result, Cameron now looks like Blair after Iraq.

The tricks don't work anymore. There are no more aces in his cards.

In the case of Blair, it took 4 years for the stupid fuck to realise it, before resigning in 2007. And in the process, he irreversibly contaminated the Labour brand.

The good thing for the Tories is that Cameron has somewhat more self-awareness than Blair and will go quickly.

It is remarkable that the man who won an unprecedented victory for the Tories just a year ago is now staring at the abrupt end of his career, and probably a resignation that carries an air of faint disgrace - or much worse (if he loses the vote).

Kismet, huh.

Well, the victory was paid for by the referendum, which was always going to be Cameron versus the Conservative majority. No referendum = no majority.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It is remarkable that the man who won an unprecedented victory for the Tories just a year ago is now staring at the abrupt end of his career, and probably a resignation that carries an air of faint disgrace - or much worse (if he loses the vote)

History repeats itself.

The same bastards who did it last time want to repeat their triumph and usher in the next Blair
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,222

John_N4 said:

Oh Gove for sure.

IDS.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,948

John_N4 said:

I've been meaning to ask you, you predict a Remain win by 12-15% but say Leave winning in Wales is value @ 2/1.

If the polls have it neck and neck in Wales, and one side is 2/1, then it is surely value.
  • Options

John_N4 said:

Oh Gove for sure.

Oliver Letwin?
  • Options
    This guy has a lot of followers

@ProfBrianCox: Did Farage really just say that if we leave the EU we'll have a smaller pharma industry and that will be good for alternative medicine ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    edited June 2016
    Thinking about it, I don't think Blair would have ever used the phrase "little Englander" in public even if he thought it or used it in private. Insulting middle England is not going to go down well, Th party will now need a change of leadership to recover. Until now I was still in the Dave should stick around camp, but if he begins to alienate solid Tory heartlands on order to win the EU vote then he needs to be gotten rid of.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Just watched the ITV debate. Cameron really has a habit of pulling it out of the bag when he needs to and that was a good confident assured performance. If more voters got to see this than the 2.5-3m who probably tuned in, Remain would win by miles.

He made strong points. I have been "50/50 leaning Remain" since the outset but reckon I'm 70/30 in favour of Remain now.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Also, instant reaction in my WhatsApp group of friends (most between 25 and 35) - Boring.

The "little England" seems to have gone down like a lead balloon as well. I didn't see it live, but the consensus was that it was completely patronising.

The consensus is that Farage is a bit of a xenophobe. The consensus is that Cameron is a bit of a liar.

I don't think either perception was significantly challenged today, but nor was it badly reinforced.

For me the only line that might cut through is Little England. It is apparent it's been focus-grouped, as Osborne is replaying it, but to me it jars, badly, and will surely be unpopular with key demogs that Cameron needs.

It sounds like its been focused grouped at a Notting Hill dinner party by people who think they're more sophisticated than they are.

There's going to be a lot of England flags being flown in the next couple of weeks.

Yes, I agree, saying LITTLE ENGLAND just as we're all about to support England?!

Bizarre. And risky. Another sign REMAIN are worried they are losing. They wouldn't take this punt if they were well ahead.
    Nah, win or lose that's what they believe. You think if OUT wins Meeks et al are going to applaud us for playing the game and winning fair and square? They resent us for questioning them.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Thinking about it, I don't think Blair would have ever used the phrase "little Englander" I'm public even if he thought it or used it in private. Insulting middle England is not going to go down well, Th party will now need a change of leadership to recover. Until now I was still in the Dave should stick around camp, but if he begins to alienate solid Tory heartlands on order to win the EU vote then he needs to be gotten rid of.

I'm fairly certain Thatcher used the term little Englander in the 1975 referendum to describe the No side.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Cameron has a massive, massive problem with immigration. Having previously gone heavy on how bad immigration is, he can't now tell the truth, which is that an open market in a globalised world means immigration and that fact isn't going to change with Brexit. Instead he had to fall back on the line that immigration is being controlled now. Nobody believes it.

-----

Thanks. Off topic question. Do you, or anyone else, know which countries similar to the UK see relatively less immigration than the UK? I am talking about actual numbers, not whether the countries claim to control immigration

I think the only developed countries that do not have similar or higher rates of immigration than us are Japan and South Korea.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

It is remarkable that the man who won an unprecedented victory for the Tories just a year ago is now staring at the abrupt end of his career, and probably a resignation that carries an air of faint disgrace - or much worse (if he loses the vote)

History repeats itself.

The same bastards who did it last time want to repeat their triumph and usher in the next Blair
    Rewriting history again Scott. Major did it all to himself. He did to his own legacy what he was doing to Edwina Curry.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

History repeats itself.

Come on Scott,who would you prefer to be the next tory leader ? Just remember you have to defend him/her on here.
  • Options

John_N4 said:

If the polls have it neck and neck in Wales, and one side is 2/1, then it is surely value.
    But you predict a 12-15% win for Remain, how do you compute that 2/1 Leave in Wales is value?

I'm interested in your computations.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Membership of the EU does prevent us securing a trade deal with many other important countries. That is a basic fact, not an opinion.

No but our trade is restricted with them because of membership of the EU.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,419
    Scott_P said:

@ProfBrianCox: Did Farage really just say that if we leave the EU we'll have a smaller pharma industry and that will be good for alternative medicine ?

Leave need to be careful here. Farage's gaffe (the first genuine one of the debates?) could derail their carefully construction narrative of being the saviours of the NHS. Never mind how it might look taking advice on national destiny from a potion quack.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Daily Mail web headline:

'You're scaremongering against non-whites!' Farage blasted for 'demonising migrants' as he's grilled by a live studio audience in heated Brexit debate before the PM brands him a 'Little Englander'

Discuss.

The headlines i've seen from the daily mail are very pro remain.
  • Options

Come on Scott,who would you prefer to be the next tory leader ? Just remember you have to defend him/her on here.

Who are the candidates?
  • Options
    @HungryCatfish: @IsabelOakeshott @RaheemKassam #ITVEURef

Even with format of choice, Cameron couldn't win on a Guardian poll. https://t.co/mK6LEO3COS
  • Options

John_N4 said:

But you predict a 12-15% win for Remain, how do you compute that 2/1 Leave in Wales is value?

One is based on my instincts and some of the polling

The other based on the polling.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

-----

Not off the top of my head but I can tell you about high wages being an advantage rather than a disadvantage if you wish.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,756
    edited June 2016

I hate to point it out, but it's Gove.

* Nicholas Soames is Stephen Fry/Wellington.
    * Boris Johnson is Robbie Coltrane/Samuel Johnson
    * Teresa May is Helen Atkinson-Wood/Mrs Miggins
    * Katie Hopkins is Miranda Richardson/The Shadow
    * Osborne is Baldrick/Baldrick
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

MaxPB said:

Thinking about it, I don't think Blair would have ever used the phrase "little Englander" I'm public even if he thought it or used it in private. Insulting middle England is not going to go down well, Th party will now need a change of leadership to recover. Until now I was still in the Dave should stick around camp, but if he begins to alienate solid Tory heartlands on order to win the EU vote then he needs to be gotten rid of.

I'm fairly certain Thatcher used the term little Englander in the 1975 referendum to describe the No side.
    Times have changed since then, the nation is more Eurosceptic and we are the mainstream within the party. I'll say it over and over, the party has been split by loyalty to the leadership not by the EU, if Dave had declared for leave he would have carried 280 MPs, 80-90% of members and at least 75% of Tory voters. You might not want to hear it, but we are the party of Middle England, not the party of North Islington.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,045

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

For me the only line that might cut through is Little England. It is apparent it's been focus-grouped, as Osborne is replaying it, but to me it jars, badly, and will surely be unpopular with key demogs that Cameron needs.

If it's backed up by Sturgeon saying, "Vote Leave and we're off, mate," it might get people's attention.
    Will it though? Has there been any recent polling in England/Wales about what we think of the UK? I suspect there is an indifferent acceptance that the Scots aren't around for much longer. And certainly no willingness to bend over backwards to keep them in the union. (I say this as someone half-Scottish who has holidayed regularly in Scotland and who likes both the country and the people. But, you know, they'll still be judt up the M6 - they're not about to sail off to the mid-Atlantic...)
    In the context of leaving the EU I think it makes a psychological difference. It's one thing to be an island off the coast of Europe (and some other bits), but quite another to be half an island.
    Yes, there's probably something in that.
    And the main argument for England staying in the UK (as far as I can see) is the defence/strategic/global power one, where we are at a much greater advantage with as part of a nation whose territorial waters extend far into the North Atlantic and which controls a great part of the Greenland/Iceland/UK gap. And in leaving the EU, we are to a much greater extent considering our wider position in the world.
    I would be fascinated to see some opinion polling on this sort of thing, if a question could be meaningfully phrased.
  • Options

John_N4 said:

Oh Gove for sure.

TSE, of course :)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,127

FF43 said:

-----

I think the only developed countries that do not have similar or higher rates of immigration than us are Japan and South Korea.
    Many thanks, Fox!
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    Scott_P said:

No, he didn't.
    Nor did he get the chance to mention how the Clinical Trials directive reduced UK clinical trials from 12% to 1% of world total.
    http://www.talkcarswell.com/home/how-eu-membership-killed-off-uk-clinical-trials/2837
  • Options
    Re tonight's programme, debating who won or lost is futile, we all made up our mind beforehand. But that wide eyed look that Cameron has when dealing with questions from the audience - he's done, gone, a shot fighter.

btw did you see Peston? The poor man looks terribly ill.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Evidence?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Scott_P said:

Who are the candidates?
    You must have someone in mind - Osborne ?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    e headlines i've seen from the daily mail are very pro remain.

The Mail cannot abide Farage...
  • Options

John_N4 said:

Oh Gove for sure.

I'm Blackadder.

I have a real life Auntie Whiteadder*.

She slapped me across the face, and called me a wicked child** whilst doing so

*Auntie in the sense where anyone one of your Mum and Dad's friends are automatically your auntie and uncle

**Well she said called me a zalum koota, which means cruel dog.
  • Options

John_N4 said:

One is based on my instincts and some of the polling

The other based on the polling.
    Oh right, this is a betting site, you got upset the other day when I said that some on here have zero knowledge of betting and odds. You make my point well.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    MaxPB said:

Thinking about it, I don't think Blair would have ever used the phrase "little Englander" in public even if he thought it or used it in private. Insulting middle England is not going to go down well, Th party will now need a change of leadership to recover. Until now I was still in the Dave should stick around camp, but if he begins to alienate solid Tory heartlands on order to win the EU vote then he needs to be gotten rid of.

Cameron's sneering at Little Englanders reminded me of Emily Thornberry's snobbish tweet.
    https://www.google.it/search?q=emily+thornberry+st+george+flag+tweet&client=safari&hl=en-it&biw=768&bih=937&prmd=insv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizteGu-JbNAhXCC8AKHeauAJ4Q_AUIBigB#imgrc=l2344GQES7ZBPM:
  • Options
    ''You might not want to hear it, but we are the party of Middle England, not the party of North Islington.''

If Cameron plays the little England card, he might not make it to the end of the week as conservative leader, let alone June 24.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Some we trade a lot less with than we would, Brazil and Argentina spring to mind. Also our trade is stymied with our large trading partners because of a lack of a trade deal.

Australia seems to knock them out in around 18 to 24 months. We are a large market.
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412
    edited June 2016
    SeanT said:

Farage did fine. Chill. He didn't "put a bomb" under the campaign

My STRONG suspicion is that UKIP never expected to have a whisker of a chance of winning this vote, their intention was to do well enough, and to fuck with the Tory psyche, such that they would gain in strength like the SNP post Sindyref. Thus at first UKIP were very stroppy and nihilistic and uncooperative with other LEAVERS.

Yes, I have a UKIP booklet from an event earlier this year which discussed plebiscites and how they were a rubber stamping exercise against true referendums. Considering the way Cameron has behaved in getting international organisations to stick their twoppennyworth in (repeated by Cameron again this evening), you can see Nigel had a point.

Edit: read it yourself, Sean.

http://www.ukipmeps.org/uploads/file/ReferendumStichUp.pdf
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Some we trade a lot less with than we would, Brazil and Argentina spring to mind.
    PM Corbyn will have a deal sorted with Argentina in no time, post-Brexit.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,390

MaxPB said:

Cameron's sneering at Little Englanders reminded me of Emily Thornberry's snobbish tweet.
    https://www.google.it/search?q=emily+thornberry+st+george+flag+tweet&client=safari&hl=en-it&biw=768&bih=937&prmd=insv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizteGu-JbNAhXCC8AKHeauAJ4Q_AUIBigB#imgrc=l2344GQES7ZBPM:
    The difference is that a Conservative PM won't get monstered by GuidoMurdoch.
  • Options

John_N4 said:

Oh Gove for sure.

I'm Blackadder.

I have a real life Auntie Whiteadder*.

She slapped me across the face, and called me a wicked child** whilst doing so

*Auntie in the sense where anyone one of your Mum and Dad's friends are automatically your auntie and uncle

**Well she said called me a zalum koota, which means cruel dog.
    "Lord Sunil, where have you been?"

"Where haven't I been? Woof!" :lol:
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

MaxPB said:

Different times.
    Poles,Romanians and Bulgarians were stuck behind the iron curtain those days.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,300

Re tonight's programme, debating who won or lost is futile, we all made up our mind beforehand. But that wide eyed look that Cameron has when dealing with questions from the audience - he's done, gone, a shot fighter.

His wife died and he's working for a crap TV station. Maybe?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Even with format of choice, Cameron couldn't win on a Guardian poll. https://t.co/mK6LEO3COS

If that's the opinion of the electorate as a whole, then I'd expect at least a small movement towards LEAVE to appear as the polls in 2-3 days time start to reflect this.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    OUT said:

MaxPB said:

Different times.
    Poles,Romanians and Bulgarians were stuck behind the iron curtain those days.
    IT was Thatcher who wanted the East Europeans to join the EU.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

If that's the opinion of the electorate as a whole, then I'd expect at least a small movement towards LEAVE to appear as the polls in 2-3 days time start to reflect this.
    That is an unscientific poll, means little other than Brexiteers are more likely to vote in online polls
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    surbiton said:
    Does that answer the question though? A declaration will be made for each of the 12 regions but surely the results from the 382 local counts will emerge and be totted up by broadcasters won't they? If not, I'll probably go to bed at 10 and set the alarm for 3.30am. How would the broadcasters fill the time?
  • Options
    Roger said:

A crap broadcaster which pays him over £500,000 a year
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

-----

What a load of bollocks. The UK has a relatively high net migration rate - higher than America, France, Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_net_migration_rate

More importantly, Britain - England even more so - is a much more crowded country than most. If you calculate migration per square mile, then we are probably at the very top of the list, in terms of big countries.

According to that table we have fewer migrants per thousand than the USA. France and Germany are lower - though as those figures are for 2015 I suspect that the German figures are not accurate. There was a fairly noticeable 2015 migration to Germany as I recall.

A number of countries were near zero, but Japan and South Korea were the only big developed economies amongst them.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    MP_SE said:

hunchman said:
    Why did GKP's share price tank? I thought they could extract oil despite the troubles in the region. I remember when it was around £1 now it is £0.04...
    Splendid question! The share price peaked at 411p on the 17th February 2012, and you may wish to have a look for yourself in the following accounts when surprise surprise many of the share options were exercised just for starters:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05288855/filing-history

and private investors in M&G have lost out on this company:

http://www.shareprophets.com/views/20029/gulf-keystone-morons-what-was-that-you-were-saying-about-institutional-backing-mg-dumps-its-shares
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Scott_P said:

In a two man debate Cameron came third.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,896
    edited June 2016
    taffys said:

Is the Mail, against all the odds, about to change sides and come down on the side of REMAIN?
    Even allowing for the fact that newspapers undoubtedly have a greatly diminished influence on people's voting patterns, that really would be a potential game changer with its millions of predominantly Tory, middle England readers.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Maybe? We all know his wife died ffs.

You really are a despicable person.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,419

taffys said:

Is the Mail, against all the odds about to change sides and come down on the side of REMAIN?
    Even allowing for the fact that newspapers undoubtedly have a greatly diminished influence on people's voting patterns, that really would be a potential game changer with its millions of predominantly Tory, middle England readers.
    Well, Dacre has got all his CAP subsidies to think about.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Some we trade a lot less with than we would, Brazil and Argentina spring to mind.
    There will not be a PM Corbyn.
  • Options
    VapidBilgeVapidBilge Posts: 412

Daily Mail web headline:

Discuss.

I just didn't understand this.

Aren't most EU migrants White?
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

taffys said:

Is the Mail, against all the odds, about to change sides and come down on the side of REMAIN?

taffys said:

THe MoS is markedly more pro-EU than the daily title. Editiorials I have seen are firmly LEAVE in the DM.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

There's a non-zero chance.

In any case do you think anyone else will be able to get a quick deal without putting the Falklands on the table?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

surbiton said:
    Does that answer the question though? A declaration will be made for each of the 12 regions but surely the results from the 382 local counts will emerge and be totted up by broadcasters won't they? If not, I'll probably go to bed at 10 and set the alarm for 3.30am. How would the broadcasters fill the time?
    Can somebody confirm this either way please?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

That is an unscientific poll, means little other than Brexiteers are more likely to vote in online polls
    Maybe, maybe not, but it was a shocking result for Cameron, even allowing for it being conducted for a left wing newspaper.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Mail has changed the headline to:

"'I have no GP, I can't get on the housing ladder and have three kids in one room': Cameron is taken to task over immigration on TV debate by '40-year-old Brit who's been working full-time since 16'"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3630039/PM-Farage-battle-Brexit-primetime-referendum-special-Cameron-won-t-debate-EU-head-head.html
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,306
    MP_SE said:

"'I have no GP, I can't get on the housing ladder and have three kids in one room': Cameron is taken to task over immigration on TV debate by '40-year-old Brit who's been working full-time since 16'"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3630039/PM-Farage-battle-Brexit-primetime-referendum-special-Cameron-won-t-debate-EU-head-head.html

The bonkers state of the London housing market I assume.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,756

QTWTAIN

• Options

Roger said:

No, someone asked why Peston looked bad... Roger answered pointing out the bleeding obvious.

Is there a problem with that?
  • Options

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

-----

What a load of bollocks. The UK has a relatively high net migration rate - higher than America, France, Germany.

More importantly, Britain - England even more so - is a much more crowded country than most. If you calculate migration per square mile, then we are probably at the very top of the list, in terms of big countries.

According to that table we have fewer migrants per thousand than the USA. France and Germany are lower - though as those figures are for 2015 I suspect that the German figures are not accurate. There was a fairly noticeable 2015 migration to Germany as I recall.

A number of countries were near zero, but Japan and South Korea were the only big developed economies amongst them.
    With respect, the USA is massive !
  • Options

Scott_P said:

There's a non-zero chance.

In any case do you think anyone else will be able to get a quick deal without putting the Falklands on the table?
    Well, we used to have them... Lots of UK Argentine trade. If they don't want to trade, we'll just trade with our other old friends in the region, Brazil, Chile and Uruguay.

The Falklands are not on the table.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

MP_SE said:

hunchman said:
    Why did GKP's share price tank? I thought they could extract oil despite the troubles in the region. I remember when it was around £1 now it is £0.04...
    Splendid question! The share price peaked at 411p on the 17th February 2012, and you may wish to have a look for yourself in the following accounts when surprise surprise many of the share options were exercised just for starters:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05288855/filing-history

and private investors in M&G have lost out on this company:

http://www.shareprophets.com/views/20029/gulf-keystone-morons-what-was-that-you-were-saying-about-institutional-backing-mg-dumps-its-shares
    Any stock tips Hunchman, or is quadruple witching hour approaching :D ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

-----

With respect, the USA is massive !
    Talking of which, polls in New Jersey close in a hour. Hillary is preparing to give her victory speech.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

This is the problem the remain side don't get. And it isn't just older white men.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    ITV's website is Vapid Bilge! :(
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Some poor junior getting his head chewed off for story choice as we speak...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,069

Roger said:

No, someone asked why Peston looked bad... Roger answered pointing out the bleeding obvious.

AFAIK, Peston had found love again.
  • Options

taffys said:

Is the Mail, against all the odds about to change sides and come down on the side of REMAIN?
    Well, Dacre has got all his CAP subsidies to think about.
    Not to mention his strangely delayed Knighthood/Peerage. He's getting on a bit now and will be 68 in November. if he doesn't get his gong from Cameron, where will it come from and when?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Do you think the BSE spin doctors will now be trying to keep Cameron off the air/TV-waves for the next few weeks, and instead push the more trusted (source:YouGov) Corbyn forward for the big gigs?

(I'm only half-joking.)
  • Options

Roger said:

Nope, I remarked that the poor man looked terribly ill, have a read.

Roger's reply was, at best, crass. I was banned for calling him a fuckin idiot a couple of days ago, he's actually far worse than that, he's intelligent, which makes him malicious.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger's reply was, at best, crass. I was banned for calling him a fuckin idiot a couple of days ago, he's actually far worse than that, he's intelligent, which makes him malicious.
    I don't think so. I think you're picking a fight where none need exist.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Do you think the BSE spin doctors will now be trying to keep Cameron off the air/TV-waves for the next few weeks, and instead push the more trusted (source:YouGov) Corbyn forward for the big gigs?

(I'm only half-joking.)

Gordon Brown is being deployed next.

I'm not kidding.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,717

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Maybe, maybe not, but it was a shocking result for Cameron, even allowing for it being conducted for a left wing newspaper.
    I agree we should be wary of instant polls, but even so I would have expected the Guardian readership to be more pro-Remain than that of any other online newspaper. The fact that the online poll was on the Guardian site rather than (say) the Mail or Express makes the result worse not better for Cameron.

Given all the concerns in the Leave camp over the format of tonight's debate, and the potential for a bad Farage performance to halt their recent momentum, Leave dodged a bullet tonight.
  • Options

Roger said:

I don't think so. I think you're picking a fight where none need exist.
    I'll pick a fight with champagne socialists any day. Roger saw who'd posted about Peston and waded in without thinking.

He;s an ad man, full of bullshit, he knows he fucked up.
This discussion has been closed.